Is rock dead and/or dying?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nellinator
It has been a long time since rock has had anything truly groundbreaking occur. Solid rock bands are few and far between. So talk about rock bands since the mid-nineties that are keeping the rock in rock these days.

Lightningrod
I am sorry but rock isnt dead for me
I am listening to some classic rock right now
Rush

Alpha Centauri
I don't think any genre dies.

I think people just remember the amazing bands that came out of the 90s and assume that they all released albums every year, every day. It obviously goes in cycles.

You always discover new music, or older music that comes from a time when you thought a certain kind of music was dead.

-AC

Nellinator
Originally posted by Lightningrod
I am sorry but rock isnt dead for me
I am listening to some classic rock right now
Rush I'm talking about modern music not really making a lot of progress in rock anymore. Of course classic rock is still rocking, it's my favourite thing to listen to.

the welsh one
foo fighters are still making good music

the pretender is awsome

Nellinator
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I don't think any genre dies.

I think people just remember the amazing bands that came out of the 90s and assume that they all released albums every year, every day. It obviously goes in cycles.

You always discover new music, or older music that comes from a time when you thought a certain kind of music was dead.

-AC You have you really enjoyed that started after the Britpop wave? All I've really been finding is the industry over-saturated with mediocre indie bands. Muse and Morning Jacket are all that really come to mind for me. And the latter is not that great.

the welsh one
so is there a date when the new gnr album is coming out?

Nellinator
Originally posted by the welsh one
so is there a date when the new gnr album is coming out? Never is what I say. Likewise GNR is a hold over from an older era. I'm talking about new sprouting bands.

the welsh one
my friends band are kinda uprising

listen to their music on myspace:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=187450807

they won a competition in school and recorded a cd

Nellinator
That is actually very decent for a high school band. If they continue to improve they could well end with a record deal.

the welsh one
Originally posted by Nellinator
That is actually very decent for a high school band. If they continue to improve they could well end with a record deal.

ye they got a gig on the 7th october in the apollo, porthcawl
so things are going preety good with them. im good mates with the drummer so if they keep on improving maybe i could live of him laughing out loud

Nellinator
Tell the drummer he's got to get a bit heavier and be a little more creative with his hands. His bass drum isn't thick enough for my tastes, but that could just be the recording. All around very good for a first recording.

Alpha Centauri
You have you really enjoyed that started after the Britpop wave? All I've really been finding is the industry over-saturated with mediocre indie bands. Muse and Morning Jacket are all that really come to mind for me. And the latter is not that great.

I've enjoyed a great many rock albums this year.

It's not dead, maybe just changing in a way you dislike.

-AC

Nellinator
I've enjoyed a great many rock albums this year.

It's not dead, maybe just changing in a way you dislike.

-AC Like?

Also, I forgot about Spiritual Beggars. They are one of my favourite bands. One of the few new ones I like. Audioslave was pretty good, White Stripes are okay. Most of that garage rock revival stuff is pretty much generic garbage though.

Pezmerga
The White Stripes are a pretty multi-faceted band. I don't think you can lump them in with anybody, i.e. "Garage rock revival garbage".

I've listened to plenty great rock albums this year....
Rush - Snake and Arrows, Tomahawk - Anonymous, QOTSA - Era Vulgaris, Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Black Planet, and The Whitestripes - Icky Thump to name a few.

Alpha Centauri
Like?

Also, I forgot about Spiritual Beggars. They are one of my favourite bands. One of the few new ones I like. Audioslave was pretty good, White Stripes are okay. Most of that garage rock revival stuff is pretty much generic garbage though.

You have different taste to me, so obviously we'll enjoy different albums.

-AC

chillmeistergen
How does dead and dying work then?

SelphieT
It has been a long time since rock has had anything truly groundbreaking occur. Solid rock bands are few and far between. So talk about rock bands since the mid-nineties that are keeping the rock in rock these days.

I don't think it's dying, but just changing. I don't really enjoy the direction its been taking, but soon we'll hopefully have some better stuff, more original stuff popping in soon.

Quincy
The Chili Peppers are still alive and well

Victor Von Doom
They're basically being artificially preserved, though.

pepperjeff
my friends band are kinda uprising

listen to their music on myspace:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=187450807

they won a competition in school and recorded a cd

That was surprisingly awesome. Good luck to them in the future, not that they will even need it. They just need to keep at it.

Jim Colyer
Rock has been dead for years.

the welsh one
not dead but in intensive care

Pezmerga
Nah people are just too lazy to look for it.

the welsh one
when rock had a 6 pack and was fit we never had to look for it

Alpha Centauri
That's because you're a lazy, MTV-watching, crowd-following 16 year old.

-AC

Nellinator
That's because you're a lazy, MTV-watching, crowd-following 16 year old.

-AC I don't think you needed to take time out of your day to say that.

Alpha Centauri
I didn't.

It's not anything that isn't true, he's lazy, he follows crowds, gets his music from MTV and is 16.

-AC

SelphieT
I didn't.

It's not anything that isn't true, he's lazy, he follows crowds, gets his music from MTV and is 16.

-AC

Is this factual information? hmm

Alpha Centauri
Yes, have you read his posts?

His version of "Looking for new music." is walking around a record store looking for what his friends have been listening to. He believes Blink 182 were a punk band because MTV said so etc.

-AC

manorastroman
the hold steady.

rock is still rocking. end thread.

2D_MASTER
Rock may be dead at the surfuce, but beneath the skin it's still living strong. *WANK*

CaptainStoic
Well Rock has lost a few really good groups over the past decade. Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Sound Garden... etc..etc... It's not dead, but it's not as profound as it once was.

the welsh one
Yes, have you read his posts?

His version of "Looking for new music." is walking around a record store looking for what his friends have been listening to. He believes Blink 182 were a punk band because MTV said so etc.

-AC

your a wanker

im sorry i have friends and seen blink 182 and thought they sounded good

Alpha Centauri
Shhh.

-AC

SelphieT
your a wanker

im sorry i have friends and seen blink 182 and thought they sounded good

It's okay if you like Blink 182, just don't categorize them as something they aren't.

Keollyn
Nostalgia =/= Death to genre.

People just feel that things aren't as good as "the good old days"

Which makes sense. A gamer will feel as he gets older, games aren't as good as they were when he was younger. Same with movie fans, art fans, and all kinds of fans.

A better word is "burnout". Something you're often engrossed in will eventually create a "standard" barrier that all others have to overcome. And that's quite hard to do, since it's now set extremely high.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Keollyn

Which makes sense. A gamer will feel as he gets older, games aren't as good as they were when he was younger. Same with movie fans, art fans, and all kinds of fans.

A better word is "burnout". Something you're often engrossed in will eventually create a "standard" barrier that all others have to overcome. And that's quite hard to do, since it's now set extremely high.

Some fans, anyway.

Nellinator
Originally posted by Keollyn

A better word is "burnout". Something you're often engrossed in will eventually create a "standard" barrier that all others have to overcome. And that's quite hard to do, since it's now set extremely high. Don't get me wrong, I think there are still some fantastic new bands coming out, but less in number and a lot more inconsistency within the decent bands than there used to be imo.

Victor Von Doom
Though it is always easier to look back and find the good bands than to pick them out of the current scene.

Nellinator
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Though it is always easier to look back and find the good bands than to pick them out of the current scene. Which may be true. Though, I'm pretty good about looking for music. Mainstream rock has been dead for quite a while and this indie movement is pumping out mediocre bands by the thousands with a few good along the way. I guess one could say that rock naturally progressed to metal as well which has produced many great bands as well, but metal seems to be stagnating as well imo. Time will tell I suppose.

Victor Von Doom
Metal is shit at the moment.

I remember though, in '99, I somewhat lost interest in music, and it felt like hardly anything was coming out.

Now though, I own many many albums from that year that I bought at a later date, with the benefit of hindsight.

Nellinator
Always 20/20 it is.

So the new question is:

What rock bands and/or artists formed after 1990 does everyone predict will have lasting power?

Pezmerga
Always 20/20 it is.

So the new question is:

What rock bands and/or artists formed after 1990 does everyone predict will have lasting power?
The White Stripes for one.(or at least Jack White in some shape or form)

Victor Von Doom
Lasting power meaning what?

RedAlertv2
Always 20/20 it is.

So the new question is:

What rock bands and/or artists formed after 1990 does everyone predict will have lasting power? Rage Against the Machine definately, unless they formed in the late 80s

Nellinator
Lasting power meaning what? 30 years from now getting play on classic rock stations, getting new generations of fans and albums continuing to be distributed in contemporary stores.

Victor Von Doom
Hmm.

Radiohead, The White Stripes, RHCP, Nirvana, Muse maybe.

Probably many others according to your criteria; then others entirely for serious music fans.

Nellinator
Hmm.

Radiohead, The White Stripes, RHCP, Nirvana, Muse maybe.

Probably many others according to your criteria; then others entirely for serious music fans. All bands I thought of too. Nirvana is already on the classic rock station I listen to. So are Soundgarden and Pearl Jam and STP and RHCP. I kinda trying to think of bands that got recognized after the grunge era died.

I wouldn't be surprised to here RATM, the Foo Fighters, Tool, maybe some Queens of the Stone Age. I think Muse is on the way there. A couple more good albums and I think they are a lock.

I don't really count cult bands as having lasting power though, even if they are good and still have a dedicated following. That's definitions though I guess.

Alpha Centauri
Tool aren't ever on the radio here as it is, to my knowledge.

People outside of the US and Canada tend to forget that over here they're still not a major mainstream band.

-AC

chillmeistergen
Oasis will probably still be listened to, though the thought doesn't fill me with ecstasy.

Nellinator
Tool aren't ever on the radio here as it is, to my knowledge.

People outside of the US and Canada tend to forget that over here they're still not a major mainstream band.

-AC And vice versa.

wicker_man
Rock is only 'dead' if you are influenced by what you see and hear on the mainstream media.

Nellinator
Originally posted by wicker_man
Rock is only 'dead' if you are influenced by what you see and hear on the mainstream media. I'd beg to differ.

ragesRemorse

Rock is no where near being dead. Rock is not just a type of music. It is an industry. Like all musical industries, the mainstream aspect of the genre will always be plagued by redundancy and monontony. Mainstream artists produce music that is popular at the moment. Most bands that are tied to a major label have a responsibility in producing sales. I am not one of those people that are anti mainstream. Although, if you bothered to devote energy in searching for new bands. You would find a plethora of original rock music. You need to either find a less popularized label or look into un signed artists.
I gaurentee you that if you look hard enough, you will find bands that break the mold and are setting new standards in rock. The only problem that i find with mainstream is that it is harder to get recognized if you are not on a major label. This usually leads to incredible original bands being forced to break up after a few albums because its to hard to compete with the spotlight of the mainstream.

A good place to find some good un discovered bands is actually myspace.

wicker_man
I'd beg to differ.

Then differ.

the welsh one
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Rock is no where near being dead. Rock is not just a type of music. It is an industry. Like all musical industries, the mainstream aspect of the genre will always be plagued by redundancy and monontony. Mainstream artists produce music that is popular at the moment. Most bands that are tied to a major label have a responsibility in producing sales. I am not one of those people that are anti mainstream. Although, if you bothered to devote energy in searching for new bands. You would find a plethora of original rock music. You need to either find a less popularized label or look into un signed artists.
I gaurentee you that if you look hard enough, you will find bands that break the mold and are setting new standards in rock. The only problem that i find with mainstream is that it is harder to get recognized if you are not on a major label. This usually leads to incredible original bands being forced to break up after a few albums because its to hard to compete with the spotlight of the mainstream.

A good place to find some good un discovered bands is actually myspace.

great post Happy Dance

Nellinator
Originally posted by ragesRemorse

A good place to find some good un discovered bands is actually myspace. There haven't been new standards set in rock in a long time though, which is exactly my point. I have yet to see an example of someone doing so since 1995. People need to stop pretending like I don't actually know many bands from recent years, but I do. I look, I go to shows, I look on myspace, I check forums, I check dedicated sites, etc. Sure there are plenty of bands outside of the mainstream, but that does mean they are good, and it definitely doesn't mean that new standards are being set. If anything the standards for a good rock band are going backwards outside and inside the mainstream. Something I feel the internet is partially to blame for. Rock is dying.

mr.smiley
I remember seeing an old interview back when Don Mcclain released the American Pie song.(I think that was his name).ANyhow,they were talking to some girl that was a fan of his,and she was talking about how he was the last great artist in rock music.

That was a long time ago and plenty of greats have come since then.I think that's something that happens with every new generation of rock.their's always those who will say it's dead.

Nellinator
Originally posted by mr.smiley
I remember seeing an old interview back when Don Mcclain released the American Pie song.(I think that was his name).ANyhow,they were talking to some girl that was a fan of his,and she was talking about how he was the last great artist in rock music.

That was a long time ago and plenty of greats have come since then.I think that's something that happens with every new generation of rock.their's always those who will say it's dead. While your point has merit, I still believe what I do. I haven't enjoyed every movement in rock, but at least they were happening. Everyone that is of note these days are throwback, vintage, or revival bands imo. The interesting experimental stuff that is shooting off of rock, really isn't rock. Rock in itself seems very very stale to me these days.

wicker_man
I'm still to be convinced it's dying, after all I've been listeing to it for well over nine years and I've never once doubted its health.

Bat Dude
I listen to rock/metal everyday, but the thing is that it's not modern rock, and that's why it's dying... The modern bands are pretty crap right now (the mainstream ones, that is) What happened to the Alice in Chains, the Ratts, the Dokkens, the Zeppelins, the Floyds, and the NINs?

The bands of the 70s, 80s, and 90s all had that one rock scene that kept it going... (Seattle, L.A., etc.) Now, we just don't have that... More and more crap emo bands are surfacing, and the hip hop invasion has become almost irreversible...

What rock needs right now is one band to bring the interest back... A new grunge revolution or L.A. rock scene of sorts...

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Bat Dude
I listen to rock/metal everyday, but the thing is that it's not modern rock, and that's why it's dying... The modern bands are pretty crap right now (the mainstream ones, that is) What happened to the Alice in Chains, the Ratts, the Dokkens, the Zeppelins, the Floyds, and the NINs?

Mainstream has always been mostly shit. It's easy to look back and think that only good bands existed.

Ratt? Dokken? I want that shit dead and buried, you see? It's all opinion.

NIN got shit and irrelevant, that's what happened to NIN.

The bands of the 70s, 80s, and 90s all had that one rock scene that kept it going... (Seattle, L.A., etc.) Now, we just don't have that... More and more crap emo bands are surfacing, and the hip hop invasion has become almost irreversible...

No emo bands are surfacing, they're not emo. That's a mislabelling.

Hip hop INVASION? Invasion of what? Hip hop has dominated mainstream music since the late 90s now.

What rock needs right now is one band to bring the interest back... A new grunge revolution or L.A. rock scene of sorts...

This sounds like the talk of someone who depends on rock being the point of interest.

Real music fans don't need their bands, artists or genres of music to maintain mass interest.

-AC

Nellinator
Lumping Ratt with Dokken is a bad mood. Dokken is not the glammy crap metal they get lumped with. Their technical proficiency and heaviness is far more traditional and along the lines of NWOBHM.

ragesRemorse
I look, I go to shows, I look on myspace, I check forums, I check dedicated sites, etc. Sure there are plenty of bands outside of the mainstream, but that does mean they are good, and it definitely doesn't mean that new standards are being set. If anything the standards for a good rock band are going backwards outside and inside the mainstream. Something I feel the internet is partially to blame for. Rock is dying.

Maybe it is just your taste in music that is changing or doesnt jive with current music. Im not sure what standards you believe a rock band is supposed to have in order to be recognized as good rock music. Im even more flabbergasted at your opinion that the internet is some how to blame for rock bands lack of standards. Personally, i believe the only standards a band of any type needs to posess is hard work and drive to create. Bands today, i think are working as hard as ever to stand out and gain awareness. This both allows for incredible originality and redundancy. Some bands follow a set formula and use studio's to create manufactured music. Other bands put in the time at small smokey venue's all around the country.

The death of major label companies and the birth of garage band productions gave way for a mainstream avenue. This occured long before the advent of the internet. The internet has only been the focus of spreading band awarness for several years now. The Internet can be argued as an outlet that is preserving music. No band can gain recognition without putting in the footwork of playing venue's. This is the standard i believe which is being once again realized by current bands. Bands in the underground market seem to be spending less time in the studio's manufacturing sounds and more time playing live perfecting their harmony. The funny thing with mainstream is that once a band hits the mainstream they are mainstream. There seems to be a constant battle between fans of the mainstream and un sighned artists. One of my aquarrels with artists that reach mainstream popularity and recognition is that they tend to produce more studio influeced sounds and lose some of their roots in the process.

I'm not sure any band can ever sustain consistancy that will please all of their fans. There is plenty of artists out there, you just have to keep looking or maybe try to broaden your horizons and learn to appreciate new genre's of music. To say rock is dead though, is just wrong.

Alpha Centauri
Maybe you just believe too much in the old ideal of what rock is, Nell.

Rock isn't just Zeppelin anymore, or those ideals.

-AC

Nellinator
Maybe you just believe too much in the old ideal of what rock is, Nell.

Rock isn't just Zeppelin anymore, or those ideals.

-AC Not really. I liked many of the innovations of rock from Cream to Black Sabbath, to Van Halen, then I hated the 80s rock, but it was still innovating and wasn't dead. Then I like grunge, and I didn't mind the mid-90s. What innovations have been made in rock since then? People keep telling me, "innovations have been made". Then I say "like what?". To which they respond, "innovations have been made". I'm seeing innovations being made in plenty of other forms of music, simply not rock.

the welsh one
the new indie bands are kinda new and innovative

i hate the new indie stuff though, kaiser chiefs are goood though

bands like the kooks and orson i cant stand them

Bat Dude
Mainstream has always been mostly shit. It's easy to look back and think that only good bands existed.

Ratt? Dokken? I want that shit dead and buried, you see? It's all opinion.

NIN got shit and irrelevant, that's what happened to NIN.

No emo bands are surfacing, they're not emo. That's a mislabelling.

Hip hop INVASION? Invasion of what? Hip hop has dominated mainstream music since the late 90s now.

This sounds like the talk of someone who depends on rock being the point of interest.

Real music fans don't need their bands, artists or genres of music to maintain mass interest.

-AC

Dokken is really not shit... Tooth and Nail is one of my favorite albums rock and the title song is NOT hair metal (it borders on technical speed metal)

Ratt from 1984-1986 is really good, well written music, not too hair metal-y for people to like (even my friends, who all like Led Zeppelin and Lynyrd Skynyrd, have grown fond of Out of the Cellar and Dancing Undercover)... A lot of it from that era is pretty much hard rock, and even their REALLY hair metal stuff from 1990 (Lovin' You's a Dirty Job, etc.) is really catchy and filled with really good music playing (DeMartini is just such a good guitarist) But I'm a fan of the 80s hair/thrash, so it doesn't matter to me...

And NIN will always FOR ME (key words) be defined by Head Like a Hole, which imo is their best song...

Opinion based, indeed...

Ok, to be more correct, more crap "Fall Out Boy and etc." bands are surfacing... And the hip hop invasion refers to it wrestling control of the charts/masses from post-grunge in the 90s...

I don't need it, but I'd love to bring interest back... I don't want it to become something that you can hear JUST on the underground... I'd like to be able to turn on my radio and hear good rock music on something other than WMMS (favorite radio station, btw)... It's a fact that rock needs to strengthen, it doesn't HAVE to be like the 70s/80s/90s, but I'd prefer it kept itself in the race...

If I had ANY musical talent, I'D try to form a band out of the several musicians at my school (luckily they all play hard rock) and practice until we're presentable... Then if we're any good, maybe, MAYBE we'd be able to bring some local interest back if we're successful enough (not like massive radio play, but some moderate gigs and stuff) But of course I don't have any, so...

Alpha Centauri
Dokken is really not shit... Tooth and Nail is one of my favorite albums rock and the title song is NOT hair metal (it borders on technical speed metal)

Ratt from 1984-1986 is really good, well written music, not too hair metal-y for people to like (even my friends, who all like Led Zeppelin and Lynyrd Skynyrd, have grown fond of Out of the Cellar and Dancing Undercover)... A lot of it from that era is pretty much hard rock, and even their REALLY hair metal stuff from 1990 (Lovin' You's a Dirty Job, etc.) is really catchy and filled with really good music playing (DeMartini is just such a good guitarist) But I'm a fan of the 80s hair/thrash, so it doesn't matter to me...

And NIN will always FOR ME (key words) be defined by Head Like a Hole, which imo is their best song...

Opinion based, indeed...

Yes, opinion.

Ok, to be more correct, more crap "Fall Out Boy and etc." bands are surfacing... And the hip hop invasion refers to it wrestling control of the charts/masses from post-grunge in the 90s...

So? Who gives a shit who controls the charts? Only people who get their music from the charts, care about what's on them.

I don't need it, but I'd love to bring interest back... I don't want it to become something that you can hear JUST on the underground... I'd like to be able to turn on my radio and hear good rock music on something other than WMMS (favorite radio station, btw)... It's a fact that rock needs to strengthen, it doesn't HAVE to be like the 70s/80s/90s, but I'd prefer it kept itself in the race...

It's not a fact that rock needs to strengthen, you obviously want the charts to be filled with music you've not heard so you can get new music. I personally do not need to be told, I go out and look. Therefore, the charts being full of hip pop, rock or nazi funk metal wouldn't matter to me.

-AC

Bat Dude
Yes, opinion.

So? Who gives a shit who controls the charts? Only people who get their music from the charts, care about what's on them.

It's not a fact that rock needs to strengthen, you obviously want the charts to be filled with music you've not heard so you can get new music. I personally do not need to be told, I go out and look. Therefore, the charts being full of hip pop, rock or nazi funk metal wouldn't matter to me.

-AC

Yes indeed (it's the only thing we've agreed on so far)

I kinda just want my music on the radio more, cuz when it was in the 1980s, everything was so prosperous... I want to hear GOOD music on the radio, music I know is good (hard rock/metal), so I don't have to constantly buy new albums just to hear something decent...

And actually, I got my current music style from GTA: Vice City... I heard "Too Young to Fall in Love", "2 Minutes to Midnight", and "Raining Blood"... I researched the bands online, then looked at the bands under "Similar Bands" and got my current favorite music style, 70s/80s metal... (Including hair, thrash, classic, and post-thrash) If I listened to what was on the charts right now, I'd be listening to Kiss FM and not WMMS...

And again, it doesn't HAVE to be the #1 thing, but I'd like for it to stay SOMEWHAT popular...

Alpha Centauri
I kinda just want my music on the radio more, cuz when it was in the 1980s, everything was so prosperous... I want to hear GOOD music on the radio, music I know is good (hard rock/metal), so I don't have to constantly buy new albums just to hear something decent...

So you're just extremely lazy and a touch bitter, basically. Not really good reasons for your wish, but whatever.

It's a bit foolish to say you don't rely on the mainstream when you want..the mainstream to...play "your" music, music you feel is good...so..you...won't have to look for albums to buy.

Doesn't make a shred of sense.

And actually, I got my current music style from GTA: Vice City... I heard "Too Young to Fall in Love", "2 Minutes to Midnight", and "Raining Blood"... I researched the bands online, then looked at the bands under "Similar Bands" and got my current favorite music style, 70s/80s metal... (Including hair, thrash, classic, and post-thrash) If I listened to what was on the charts right now, I'd be listening to Kiss FM and not WMMS...

So keep looking, problem solved.

And again, it doesn't HAVE to be the #1 thing, but I'd like for it to stay SOMEWHAT popular...

Why? You like it, you can find it, you can listen to it. Why does it matter if everyone likes it or not?

-AC

Bat Dude
So you're just extremely lazy and a touch bitter, basically. Not really good reasons for your wish, but whatever.

It's a bit foolish to say you don't rely on the mainstream when you want..the mainstream to...play "your" music, music you feel is good...so..you...won't have to look for albums to buy.

Doesn't make a shred of sense.

So keep looking, problem solved.

Why? You like it, you can find it, you can listen to it. Why does it matter if everyone likes it or not?

-AC

mad Now I'm getting frustrated...

I don't rely on mainstream because what's mainstream RIGHT NOW is crap... My music is so much better... I wish to educate the masses in the ways of good music, and, as you said, I'm also pretty lazy, and don't wish to shell out cash to buy albums of artists I ALREADY LIKE (not what the charts tell me, what I've liked from the start, money doesn't grow on trees, you know, and the radio is just so much more convenient for me)

No I'm good... cool

Like I said, what's on right now is crap, and I want to show people that there is something better... (Bettering the World, in a sense) I feel pity for those who listen to what's on the charts... I want MY music there so they start listening to it and maybe, MAYBE find that it's better than what they were listening to before...

Alpha Centauri
mad Now I'm getting frustrated...

I don't rely on mainstream because what's mainstream RIGHT NOW is crap... My music is so much better... I wish to educate the masses in the ways of good music, and, as you said, I'm also pretty lazy, and don't wish to shell out cash to buy albums of artists I ALREADY LIKE (not what the charts tell me, what I've liked from the start, money doesn't grow on trees, you know, and the radio is just so much more convenient for me)

You wish to educate the masses? Why? They've decided for themselves what is good to them. What's good to you may not be good to them. Also, if they don't have the strength or presense of mind to look elsewhere, it's their own fault. Making a sheep like something is not a triumph, they'll like anything they're told to like.

So you don't really want to educate the masses...it's all just a bs reason to get music you like on the radio, and this is because you do not want to actively seek out and pay for music that you do like?

Sorry, you're beyond help and your point makes zero sense. You're just lazy, stop being lazy and look for your own music.

No I'm good... cool

Then stop whining.

Either keep looking for your music and avoid the "crap" mainstream, or stop moaning about what's in the mainstream if that's where you want to be provided with music.

Like I said, what's on right now is crap, and I want to show people that there is something better... (Bettering the World, in a sense) I feel pity for those who listen to what's on the charts... I want MY music there so they start listening to it and maybe, MAYBE find that it's better than what they were listening to before...

Mainstream, to me is; Foo Fighters, RHCP, U2, stuff like that. I'd much rather have that on the radio than Ratt and Dokken, but that's opinion for you.

"Better" is opinion. You could clog the radiowaves with Dokken, Ratt and whatever else and people may think it's overwhelmingly shit, in their opinion.

So why not just like what you like and let people like what they like? Nobody is forcing you to listen to the radio, you're just a lazy person who wants it all with little effort. Unrealistic, ridiculous idea.

-AC

Mairuzu
Sigh, can't go through a thread without seeing some argument... whats going on this time?

Alpha Centauri
Read, probably.

It's just a discussion, chill.

-AC

Bat Dude
You wish to educate the masses? Why? They've decided for themselves what is good to them. What's good to you may not be good to them. Also, if they don't have the strength or presense of mind to look elsewhere, it's their own fault. Making a sheep like something is not a triumph, they'll like anything they're told to like.

So you don't really want to educate the masses...it's all just a bs reason to get music you like on the radio, and this is because you do not want to actively seek out and pay for music that you do like?

Sorry, you're beyond help and your point makes zero sense. You're just lazy, stop being lazy and look for your own music.

Then stop whining.

Either keep looking for your music and avoid the "crap" mainstream, or stop moaning about what's in the mainstream if that's where you want to be provided with music.

Mainstream, to me is; Foo Fighters, RHCP, U2, stuff like that. I'd much rather have that on the radio than Ratt and Dokken, but that's opinion for you.

"Better" is opinion. You could clog the radiowaves with Dokken, Ratt and whatever else and people may think it's overwhelmingly shit, in their opinion.

So why not just like what you like and let people like what they like? Nobody is forcing you to listen to the radio, you're just a lazy person who wants it all with little effort. Unrealistic, ridiculous idea.

-AC

Again, I know what I like musically. No one needs to tell me that, it's just I DON'T HAVE MUCH MONEY to always buy an album from a particular artist/band I like... So it being on the radio is very convenient, cuz it's free... That means no money needed, obviously...

And the radio has introduced me (I don't like everything, obviously, I just pick and choose what I like from what the stations play) to much of what I like, such as Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Ronnie James Dio, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd (which make up some of the "classic" part of my hair/thrash/classic spectrum)

To be honest, the "seeking out" music thing as you're putting it sounds near to impossible... How can you know what you like if you've never heard it before? The radio is a necessity to find out if you think something is good (either that, or a local band/artist playing it)... The way I do it is I hear a song on the radio, if I think it sounds good, I'll wait to hear what the name of the band is. Then I'll research the band and bands like them. I'll listen to samples online, then I'll make a decision if it's worth the little money I have to spare to buy one of their albums... Again, radio is a necessity... You can't just automatically know you're gonna like something...

And again, I'm not "whining" per se, I just think that the music on the radio should be WAY more diverse (to encompass my musical tastes, obviously, but also for others to have theirs on, too) There's only ONE hard rock station where I live! And like, three hip hop stations! And two pop stations! And hardly NO actual bands! There are plenty of musicians, but no bands playing new stuff... Which is why I think it's beneficial to hard rock where I live if we had that one band to start a new rock scene here... Doesn't have to be huge, but it'd give us something good to listen to...

Alpha Centauri
Again, I know what I like musically. No one needs to tell me that, it's just I DON'T HAVE MUCH MONEY to always buy an album from a particular artist/band I like... So it being on the radio is very convenient, cuz it's free... That means no money needed, obviously...

And the radio has introduced me (I don't like everything, obviously, I just pick and choose what I like from what the stations play) to much of what I like, such as Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Ronnie James Dio, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd (which make up some of the "classic" part of my hair/thrash/classic spectrum)

And back then, when those bands were on the radio (Because remember, all eras have shit mainstream musicians), there were people who didn't like what was mainstream music, or on the radio. It's called personal responsibility in finding what you want.

To be honest, the "seeking out" music thing as you're putting it sounds near to impossible... How can you know what you like if you've never heard it before? The radio is a necessity to find out if you think something is good (either that, or a local band/artist playing it)... The way I do it is I hear a song on the radio, if I think it sounds good, I'll wait to hear what the name of the band is. Then I'll research the band and bands like them. I'll listen to samples online, then I'll make a decision if it's worth the little money I have to spare to buy one of their albums... Again, radio is a necessity... You can't just automatically know you're gonna like something..

Sorry, but it seems like you just spoke for me. I never listen to the radio, I go out and a take gambles. Sometimes I find an album I like, sometimes I don't. Some decent music magazines may have reviews of an album that sway your decision. The nudge toward something can come from anywhere, even yourself, so long as you're not being a sheep and liking what's popular or what you're told to like. Although that works for some.

You seem to expect the radio to play music you like because you can't afford to buy it, which is utterly ridiculous, and even so, there are so many radio stations out there. Not all play mainstream music.

And again, I'm not "whining" per se, I just think that the music on the radio should be WAY more diverse (to encompass my musical tastes, obviously, but also for others to have theirs on, too) There's only ONE hard rock station where I live! And like, three hip hop stations! And two pop stations! And hardly NO actual bands! There are plenty of musicians, but no bands playing new stuff... Which is why I think it's beneficial to hard rock where I live if we had that one band to start a new rock scene here... Doesn't have to be huge, but it'd give us something good to listen to...

You have got it the wrong way around. The radio is there to introduce people to music and to market it, not the other way around. If what you like isn't on the radio in any big way, certainly the way YOU want it to be, then it's usually because people largely don't give a shit.

Sorry to say, but that's usually the case. Nobody really gives a shit about Ratt anymore, or that kind of music, not to the point of it being revived.

Radio stations still play Prince. It's just a question of longevity.

-AC

Bat Dude
And back then, when those bands were on the radio (Because remember, all eras have shit mainstream musicians), there were people who didn't like what was mainstream music, or on the radio. It's called personal responsibility in finding what you want.

Sorry, but it seems like you just spoke for me. I never listen to the radio, I go out and a take gambles. Sometimes I find an album I like, sometimes I don't. Some decent music magazines may have reviews of an album that sway your decision. The nudge toward something can come from anywhere, even yourself, so long as you're not being a sheep and liking what's popular or what you're told to like. Although that works for some.

You seem to expect the radio to play music you like because you can't afford to buy it, which is utterly ridiculous, and even so, there are so many radio stations out there. Not all play mainstream music.

You have got it the wrong way around. The radio is there to introduce people to music and to market it, not the other way around. If what you like isn't on the radio in any big way, certainly the way YOU want it to be, then it's usually because people largely don't give a shit.

Sorry to say, but that's usually the case. Nobody really gives a shit about Ratt anymore, or that kind of music, not to the point of it being revived.

Radio stations still play Prince. It's just a question of longevity.

-AC

I don't think Ronnie James Dio or Black Sabbath were ever mainstream, tbh...

I know not all radio stations play mainstream, and that works great for me, as my personal tastes aren't mainstream anymore... I don't listen to a mainstream station, either... It's just they tend to play more modern stuff (not mainstream, just too modern) then what's worked for 3 decades...

Well stations still play Prince cuz he's legitimately good... I can understand not playing Poison, Warrant, and bands of that era that really kinda sucked, but bands like Dokken and Ratt had legitimate talent, and I think it's a shame that they're hardly on the radio anymore... But hey, if I can find a really cheap Greatest Hits cd, then it might work out... I mean, they still play Creed, why not Ratt?

Alpha Centauri
I don't think Ronnie James Dio or Black Sabbath were ever mainstream, tbh...

Not by choice, maybe.

I know not all radio stations play mainstream, and that works great for me, as my personal tastes aren't mainstream anymore... I don't listen to a mainstream station, either... It's just they tend to play more modern stuff (not mainstream, just too modern) then what's worked for 3 decades...

Worked? For you, yes. Rush have "worked" for three decades, Killing Joke, Prince etc. The point is, no matter what longevity you have, popularity is what keeps you on the charts, usually. Prince has made music that is accessible also, therefore eligible not only for music "die hards", but people who don't really care and just want to dance. He has changed, by choice, with the times.

You couldn't play Ratt and be taken seriously. That music was not like Prince, Killing Joke, Rush etc, they were artists who came BEFORE the 80s and just happened to have prominence there. Hair metal and such was very much of its time. It wasn't meant to last.

Well stations still play Prince cuz he's legitimately good... I can understand not playing Poison, Warrant, and bands of that era that really kinda sucked, but bands like Dokken and Ratt had legitimate talent, and I think it's a shame that they're hardly on the radio anymore... But hey, if I can find a really cheap Greatest Hits cd, then it might work out... I mean, they still play Creed, why not Ratt?

Because Creed are popular, they have a sound that is current, that the people who control the mainstream charts NOW, are into. Ratt did the same back in the day, and it doesn't mean they were good. For some, 80s was the "worst" of all musical eras.

Your taste was best suited for that time, and unfortunately for you, the bands you like were of the moment.

-AC

Bat Dude
Not by choice, maybe.

Worked? For you, yes. Rush have "worked" for three decades, Killing Joke, Prince etc. The point is, no matter what longevity you have, popularity is what keeps you on the charts, usually. Prince has made music that is accessible also, therefore eligible not only for music "die hards", but people who don't really care and just want to dance. He has changed, by choice, with the times.

You couldn't play Ratt and be taken seriously. That music was not like Prince, Killing Joke, Rush etc, they were artists who came BEFORE the 80s and just happened to have prominence there. Hair metal and such was very much of its time. It wasn't meant to last.

Because Creed are popular, they have a sound that is current, that the people who control the mainstream charts NOW, are into. Ratt did the same back in the day, and it doesn't mean they were good. For some, 80s was the "worst" of all musical eras.

Your taste was best suited for that time, and unfortunately for you, the bands you like were of the moment.

-AC

Yeah... I really kinda wish I was 15 in 1984 instead of 2007 sad ... I love the technological advances, and the people I'm around (especially this one girl, but I'm not going into that), but my musical tastes are about 23 years old... I even have a semi mullet!

I know I must have not come when I should have when my favorite Prince song is ALSO from the 80s (When the Doves Cry)

Man I missed out...

Anyway, I think a small hair revival (without spandex, but keep the sound and music) would be good for rock, to mix it up a little. It doesn't have to and won't get as big as it was, but let it at least resurface as a respected genre, that doesn't get mocked... (I might make a poll about that, so stay tuned everyone)

Alpha Centauri
Yeah... I really kinda wish I was 15 in 1984 instead of 2007 sad ... I love the technological advances, and the people I'm around (especially this one girl, but I'm not going into that), but my musical tastes are about 23 years old... I even have a semi mullet!

I know I must have not come when I should have when my favorite Prince song is ALSO from the 80s (When the Doves Cry)

Man I missed out...

Anyway, I think a small hair revival (without spandex, but keep the sound and music) would be good for rock, to mix it up a little. It doesn't have to and won't get as big as it was, but let it at least resurface as a respected genre, that doesn't get mocked... (I might make a poll about that, so stay tuned everyone)

You do realise that this is next to impossible.

"Hair metal" was mocked during the time when it was most popular, it was a genre of its time, it really has no place now.

The music still exists, so go look for it.

-AC

Bat Dude
You do realise that this is next to impossible.

"Hair metal" was mocked during the time when it was most popular, it was a genre of its time, it really has no place now.

The music still exists, so go look for it.

-AC

Well, not exactly...

I do agree that hair metal as it used to be has no place in today's world, but with some tweaks here and there to make it less of a formula and less of an appearance based genre, I think that the basic "uplifting, good times" music would actually help out in this seemingly hopeless time...

Yeah, but what I mean is new, original songs by new, original bands... New blood is always good for a genre (like how the European bands pretty much kept metal alive through the grunge years)... The only truly new "hair" stuff is glam rock band The Darkness (not really hair metal, but close)

Like I said, if I had the ability, I'd be making a band as we speak, but I just don't... So I'm really just putting an idea out there for anyone who wants it (which I assume is no one?)

Alpha Centauri
Well, not exactly...

I do agree that hair metal as it used to be has no place in today's world, but with some tweaks here and there to make it less of a formula and less of an appearance based genre, I think that the basic "uplifting, good times" music would actually help out in this seemingly hopeless time...

Yeah, those are called power ballads. No thank you.

This time isn't "hopeless", to me. I've had more or less 4/5 straight years of awesome music coming out.

Yeah, but what I mean is new, original songs by new, original bands... New blood is always good for a genre (like how the European bands pretty much kept metal alive through the grunge years)... The only truly new "hair" stuff is glam rock band The Darkness (not really hair metal, but close)

Yeah, I knew about The Darkness before most people, even in my own country. That said, they were never glam rock or hair anything. They were a rock band having fun, that's all.

You have gone from wanting Ratt and Dokken-esque bands on the radio to just wanting new blood, which will always exist. You just want it to cater to you, and you don't get that choice. New bands probably won't want to sound like Ratt, thankfully.

Like I said, if I had the ability, I'd be making a band as we speak, but I just don't... So I'm really just putting an idea out there for anyone who wants it (which I assume is no one?)

One of the main reasons G'n'R are/were so loved is because they ended that shit, and even THAT style is dead now, mainstream-wise.

-AC

the welsh one
those bands were of their time so itd be great if a new sound came about

something completely original

the welsh one

dude, thats exactly what im doing

me and a mate talked about the modern music scene not being as good as it once was and i decided to buy a guitar and iv been pratisin for about a month now

but hopefully next week my other mate will teach me some more stuff

and you should get a guitar or drums too! you say you have no musical talent, neither did i but im doing everything possible to be the guy that knows everything about music and become a good guitarist

ROCK 'N' ROLL!!!

Mairuzu
Read, probably.

It's just a discussion, chill.

-AC If i wasn't too busy with life id read sad

Bat Dude
Yeah, those are called power ballads. No thank you.

This time isn't "hopeless", to me. I've had more or less 4/5 straight years of awesome music coming out.

Yeah, I knew about The Darkness before most people, even in my own country. That said, they were never glam rock or hair anything. They were a rock band having fun, that's all.

You have gone from wanting Ratt and Dokken-esque bands on the radio to just wanting new blood, which will always exist. You just want it to cater to you, and you don't get that choice. New bands probably won't want to sound like Ratt, thankfully.

One of the main reasons G'n'R are/were so loved is because they ended that shit, and even THAT style is dead now, mainstream-wise.

-AC

Actually, power ballads aren't that bad, SOME, that is... They're even better when you've got a girl on your arm...

But that's not exactly what I meant... What I meant by "uplifting, good times" music is the rock anthems they used to make (examples: Round and Round, Shout at the Devil, etc.)...

Actually, more new hair metal blood on the radio... (It'd be nice, so I don't have to spend half my money on a CD just to listen to it)

I always considered GNR as a sorta subcategory of hair metal, called sleaze rock (same with L.A. Guns, Shotgun Messiah, etc.) So the only thing that was different was they had different influences and sounded a little differently, but everything else (basic concept, etc.) was very much the same...

And @ the welsh one, I can hardly afford CDs, how could I buy a guitar? The only way I'd be in a band is by being vocals... I'm ok at vocals, but put a guitar in front of me and I'd have absolutely no clue...

the welsh one
practise?

ragesRemorse
Actually, power ballads aren't that bad, SOME, that is... They're even better when you've got a girl on your arm...

I always considered GNR as a sorta subcategory of hair metal,

there isnt anything wrong with power ballads when they are good. Power ballads have a stigma of being connected to hair bands or mainstream rock. This most certainly is not the case. Most all rock bands have a power ballad of some kind. Power ballads are not just love songs.

You are right, GnR most certainly was a hair band. They just happened to come on the scene during the end of glam rock. there is no two ways about it. GnR certainly fit the MO of an arena band. Thanks to Metallica a band could have long hair and not be considered a "hair band" as the frequently openly bashed glam rock

Alpha Centauri

No thanks.

But that's not exactly what I meant... What I meant by "uplifting, good times" music is the rock anthems they used to make (examples: Round and Round, Shout at the Devil, etc.)...

Like I told you, those were of the time. Things change. Before that era, there was obviously something that got replaced, it's called change, and the era YOU liked is one I'm quite glad to see gone.

Actually, more new hair metal blood on the radio... (It'd be nice, so I don't have to spend half my money on a CD just to listen to it)

Nah, you're just lazy. Too lazy to look.

It's a remarkably silly idea to want a re-emergence of a certain style just so you don't have to buy it. It's not practical and it is never, ever going to happen with so-called "hair metal". Thankfully.

I always considered GNR as a sorta subcategory of hair metal, called sleaze rock (same with L.A. Guns, Shotgun Messiah, etc.) So the only thing that was different was they had different influences and sounded a little differently, but everything else (basic concept, etc.) was very much the same...

Sleaze rock is not a genre. They were a rock band, and my point was not arguing the genre they were, it was showing you that if you're waiting for a re-emergence of "hair metal", you'll wait 'til you die.

And @ the welsh one, I can hardly afford CDs, how could I buy a guitar? The only way I'd be in a band is by being vocals... I'm ok at vocals, but put a guitar in front of me and I'd have absolutely no clue...

Why can't you afford CDs?

-AC

Bat Dude
No thanks.

Like I told you, those were of the time. Things change. Before that era, there was obviously something that got replaced, it's called change, and the era YOU liked is one I'm quite glad to see gone.

Nah, you're just lazy. Too lazy to look.

It's a remarkably silly idea to want a re-emergence of a certain style just so you don't have to buy it. It's not practical and it is never, ever going to happen with so-called "hair metal". Thankfully.

Sleaze rock is not a genre. They were a rock band, and my point was not arguing the genre they were, it was showing you that if you're waiting for a re-emergence of "hair metal", you'll wait 'til you die.

Why can't you afford CDs?

-AC

Are you serious? Not even when you're with that certain girl? (Or guy, which ever you guys prefer) It's your life and your opinion, but imo, I think that situation calls for a little "Fly to the Angels"...

Yeah, but 70s rock survived... It didn't really get replaced... It's like, you still hear 70s bands on the radio, but the second you attempt to put an 80s band on the radio, you get shot down...

That's weird... Then why do some web sites categorize them as such? Strange...

I can't afford CDs because every year, I get a very limited amount of money to use how I want, and I mean limited... And once that's used up, I can't ask my parents for some, cuz I want to retain independence (high school years, you know how they are)... If I find bands I like, then the money I get is usually spent on a compilation albums, because you get all their "best" songs in one CD... So, I guess I worded it wrong, it's not that I can't afford CDs, it's just I can't afford all the ones I'd like...

(And more and more that "band" idea is sounding kooler and kooler... Should I attempt it?)

Alpha Centauri
Are you serious? Not even when you're with that certain girl? (Or guy, which ever you guys prefer) It's your life and your opinion, but imo, I think that situation calls for a little "Fly to the Angels"...

Hahaha, no.

Yeah, but 70s rock survived... It didn't really get replaced... It's like, you still hear 70s bands on the radio, but the second you attempt to put an 80s band on the radio, you get shot down...

Yeah, but Led Zeppelin were not "of" the time, neither were Rush or Prince. There would still be much room for Zeppelin style of music if they were still around, not for Ratt, because that really was a trend with a limited lifespan, like "grunge" or hardcore punk. It had its moment, and that's all it had.

That's weird... Then why do some web sites categorize them as such? Strange...

Lots of sites catagorise bands as something they aren't.

I can't afford CDs because every year, I get a very limited amount of money to use how I want, and I mean limited... And once that's used up, I can't ask my parents for some, cuz I want to retain independence (high school years, you know how they are)... If I find bands I like, then the money I get is usually spent on a compilation albums, because you get all their "best" songs in one CD... So, I guess I worded it wrong, it's not that I can't afford CDs, it's just I can't afford all the ones I'd like...

Best Ofs are very, VERY rarely the best songs by that band or person. Man, you really are lazy. No offense.

(And more and more that "band" idea is sounding kooler and kooler... Should I attempt it?)

Do what you like.

If you're playing for fame then spare us.

-AC

Bat Dude
Hahaha, no.

Yeah, but Led Zeppelin were not "of" the time, neither were Rush or Prince. There would still be much room for Zeppelin style of music if they were still around, not for Ratt, because that really was a trend with a limited lifespan, like "grunge" or hardcore punk. It had its moment, and that's all it had.

Lots of sites catagorise bands as something they aren't.

Best Ofs are very, VERY rarely the best songs by that band or person. Man, you really are lazy. No offense.

Do what you like.

If you're playing for fame then spare us.

-AC

None taken... I get that a lot...

Well, the reason I'd be playing is because if no one else is gonna release new hair metal, I might as well... (It certainly won't be popular, so fame is out of the question anyway) A blend of hair metal and thrash metal (weird combo, I know), and you've got something I can enjoy playing and listening to...

Anyway... No, that's about it...

Alpha Centauri

Well, the reason I'd be playing is because if no one else is gonna release new hair metal, I might as well... (It certainly won't be popular, so fame is out of the question anyway) A blend of hair metal and thrash metal (weird combo, I know), and you've got something I can enjoy playing and listening to...

It shouldn't ever be about releasing music. It should be about you doing what you want, how you want to. For no other reason.

Your goal is hinged on people liking you enough to make you successful, which isn't artistry, that's fame-chasing. Even then, who is to say that people will like you AND like Ratt?

The Darkness were a GREAT band, musically, there were nothing more than a straight rock band, musically, who had fun. THEY caught enough stick, so can you honestly imagine what it will be like if you are trying to bring back "hair metal"?

-AC

the welsh one

ye rock n roll man!!!

i consider compiliation albums with the 'best' songs do usually have the best songs, but thats opinion again

new led zepplin combilation album ('mothership') due 12th november

Bat Dude
It shouldn't ever be about releasing music. It should be about you doing what you want, how you want to. For no other reason.

Your goal is hinged on people liking you enough to make you successful, which isn't artistry, that's fame-chasing. Even then, who is to say that people will like you AND like Ratt?

The Darkness were a GREAT band, musically, there were nothing more than a straight rock band, musically, who had fun. THEY caught enough stick, so can you honestly imagine what it will be like if you are trying to bring back "hair metal"?

-AC

Only successful enough to get play on a minor radio station.... So I can listen to it, finally... big grin

While that may be "fame-chasing" (to get enough support to make it on a minor station), it's still done with the hope of being decent at what I do, and making music I like ... (Cuz that's the most important thing, imo)

And I think if people liked Ratt, they'd appreciate what the band would be doing... (Or they might not, that's their decision)

The Darkness is pretty kool, but that one song "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" is just too annoying to listen to... (imo, their worst song)

bakerboy
Rock will never die, specially with the stones touring and showing what is rock and roll.

Pandemoniac
Rock is alive, but low on fuel I'd say. There are decent bands with ok songs, but nothing epic going on right now.

Alpha Centauri
Only successful enough to get play on a minor radio station.... So I can listen to it, finally... big grin

That makes the least sense of anything you've said.

You want to MAKE music YOURSELF, so it will hopefully get onto the radio...where you can listen to it? You've not thought this through, have you?

While that may be "fame-chasing" (to get enough support to make it on a minor station), it's still done with the hope of being decent at what I do, and making music I like ... (Cuz that's the most important thing, imo)

Exactly, so make music you like and enjoy it. Your argument has gone from ridiculous to insane.

You complain that it should be on the radio (Music you like) so you don't have you pay, but now you're saying YOU want to make music YOU like, so it can get on the radio and you can listen to it...for free. Why not just record it and listen to it? Really, really silly.

-AC

the welsh one

And I think if people liked Ratt, they'd appreciate what the band would be doing... (Or they might not, that's their decision)

The Darkness is pretty kool, but that one song "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" is just too annoying to listen to... (imo, their worst song)

you never know you mght get on your local radio and become the best known artist in your town\city. its a high target but its good that people have ambition

what would you play or would you be vocals

Bat Dude
you never know you mght get on your local radio and become the best known artist in your town\city. its a high target but its good that people have ambition

what would you play or would you be vocals

AC, to record it, you'd need the MONEY to buy the EQUIPMENT to record it... My thought isn't silly at all... I barely have the money to buy CDS! How could I buy recording equipment? You haven't thought that one through, have you? (Not to be offensive)

And I'd listen to it on the radio when...

A. I'm not playing it myself
B. I'm away from the band
C. I feel like it

I can't always be in a certain location or with the band, so when I'm out (away from band), I'd get the satisfaction of listening to good music, AND the pride that comes from knowing our band (our = me and those in it, obviously) made it ourselves... And knowing it gets at least some radio play means I can listen to it and NOT have to wear out my voice just to hear it when I want to...

and to the welsh one, I'd be vocals, as I'm fairly decent vocally, and I absolutely SUCK at guitar and drums (and bass) (plus I couldn't afford an instrument anyway)

Alpha Centauri
AC, to record it, you'd need the MONEY to buy the EQUIPMENT to record it... My thought isn't silly at all... I barely have the money to buy CDS! How could I buy recording equipment? You haven't thought that one through, have you? (Not to be offensive)

And I'd listen to it on the radio when...

A. I'm not playing it myself
B. I'm away from the band
C. I feel like it

No, look at what you're suggesting.

A) But you said you would be playing it so that it GETS on the radio. This is all assuming that you, a kid, can somehow kickstart a "hair metal" revival, of course. So...if you want to hear music you enjoy, but because there isn't much on the radio, you're making it yourself...why not JUST make it yourself, commit it to blank CD and just listen to that?

Buy the equipment with money saved and then do that.

B) That makes no sense.

C) Neither does that.

You want "hair metal" back on the radio, ok great. You have such ridiculous logic for this, however, that you've genuinely stumped me. You want it on the radio cos it's hardly on anymore, so you've said you'd make a band to get it there, when you could just make it and listen to it WITHOUT radio. Then you're saying that you want it on the radio just so you can listen to it while you're away from the band (As if being in a band places some spiritual radio-barrier on you), when you've not stopped to consider that for all these costs, you could buy the actual CDs that you claim you can't afford in the first place.

Jesus, think.

I can't always be in a certain location or with the band, so when I'm out (away from band), I'd get the satisfaction of listening to good music, AND the pride that comes from knowing our band (our = me and those in it, obviously) made it ourselves... And knowing it gets at least some radio play means I can listen to it and NOT have to wear out my voice just to hear it when I want to...

So tape it and take it with you. WHY does it have to be on the radio?

I swear you've got no sense, like...at all.

-AC

Bat Dude
No, look at what you're suggesting.

A) But you said you would be playing it so that it GETS on the radio. This is all assuming that you, a kid, can somehow kickstart a "hair metal" revival, of course. So...if you want to hear music you enjoy, but because there isn't much on the radio, you're making it yourself...why not JUST make it yourself, commit it to blank CD and just listen to that?

Buy the equipment with money saved and then do that.

B) That makes no sense.

C) Neither does that.

You want "hair metal" back on the radio, ok great. You have such ridiculous logic for this, however, that you've genuinely stumped me. You want it on the radio cos it's hardly on anymore, so you've said you'd make a band to get it there, when you could just make it and listen to it WITHOUT radio. Then you're saying that you want it on the radio just so you can listen to it while you're away from the band (As if being in a band places some spiritual radio-barrier on you), when you've not stopped to consider that for all these costs, you could buy the actual CDs that you claim you can't afford in the first place.

Jesus, think.

So tape it and take it with you. WHY does it have to be on the radio?

I swear you've got no sense, like...at all.

-AC

Ok... I could handle the shots taken at my musical tastes... And I could handle the repeated questioning of my motives for wanting my music on the radio... But saying I have no sense at all is crossing a line... What were you thinking when you typed that? That I wouldn't take that personally?

If you want to say my musical tastes are ridiculous, go ahead, it's your life... And if you want to question me till the morning light (if you get the Slaughter reference I just made), go ahead, it's your life... But the second you start blatantly insulting me, we have a problem...

Don't EVER insult me EVER again... And we won't have a problem... Get it? Got it? Good.

And I never said that I could kickstart a hair metal revival (a Motley Crue reference, that YOU made, actually), I just said that IF there are more people like me, they might WANT new hair metal ON THE RADIO... If they support us, the ones that want to could lobby for us to get on a small, local rock station, and then when we're not playing the music ourselves, and when we don't have the recorded material, we could LISTEN TO IT ON THE RADIO...

By "away from the band", I meant away from the recorded material, practices, etc. etc. etc. And if I WANTED to listen to our material, I could just flip on the radio, turn it to the station, and wait for the song to come on (when I'm AWAY from the RECORDED STUFF and etc.)

When you think about it, not everyone brings their CD players with them, so it's nice to have it on the radio also, should you not have it with you... (And not every band gets huge after being on the radio, so my monetary situation might NOT change, and I might NOT be able to afford the equipment to record in the first place, so when I think about it, radio would only happen if someone had made a donation to the band for recording equipment)

Alpha Centauri
Ok... I could handle the shots taken at my musical tastes... And I could handle the repeated questioning of my motives for wanting my music on the radio... But saying I have no sense at all is crossing a line... What were you thinking when you typed that? That I wouldn't take that personally?

If you want to say my musical tastes are ridiculous, go ahead, it's your life... And if you want to question me till the morning light (if you get the Slaughter reference I just made), go ahead, it's your life... But the second you start blatantly insulting me, we have a problem...

Don't EVER insult me EVER again... And we won't have a problem... Get it? Got it? Good.

First of all, you're insulted. Whether or not I INTENDED to insult you is another matter, and I didn't. That said, don't try to play the tough guy. You're a 15/16 year old kid with a "hair metal" affinity and a self-proclaimed mullet. There's genuinely nothing more unthreatening than you.

Second, your suggestions and plans really lack any logic or sense. It's not an insult, it's just there from reading your posts. Deal with it.

And I never said that I could kickstart a hair metal revival (a Motley Crue reference, that YOU made, actually), I just said that IF there are more people like me, they might WANT new hair metal ON THE RADIO... If they support us, the ones that want to could lobby for us to get on a small, local rock station, and then when we're not playing the music ourselves, and when we don't have the recorded material, we could LISTEN TO IT ON THE RADIO...

What is your POINT? Your initial point was that music YOU LIKE, that you CANNOT AFFORD (As in, bands with albums), is not on the radio enough. You wanted it on the radio cos you could not afford it.

So, if you would JUST be satisfied with listening to similar music that YOU made yourself, WHY would it need to be on the radio for you to listen to it? If you wanted THEM to listen, fine, but to listen to your OWN material you do not need the radio. This is why your posts are void of any sense.

By "away from the band", I meant away from the recorded material, practices, etc. etc. etc. And if I WANTED to listen to our material, I could just flip on the radio, turn it to the station, and wait for the song to come on (when I'm AWAY from the RECORDED STUFF and etc.)

Your recorded stuff IS going to be on the radio, what's the difference whether YOU play it or the radio play it? You really don't have a clue what you're on about.

If it's YOUR music that YOU want to listen to, why do you need radio? Why can't you just record it and play it to yourself?

When you think about it, not everyone brings their CD players with them, so it's nice to have it on the radio also, should you not have it with you... (And not every band gets huge after being on the radio, so my monetary situation might NOT change, and I might NOT be able to afford the equipment to record in the first place, so when I think about it, radio would only happen if someone had made a donation to the band for recording equipment)

Now you're spiralling off into insane tedium.

-AC

BackFire
Don't you fools know anything? Rock has been dying for the last 50 years, jeez.

bakerboy
I really think that this centauri guy should be banned. He is always in fights and silly discussions, over and over again, and he is hurting every post or discussion where he posts.

Alpha Centauri
Do you honestly have nothing to do but follow me in this forum?

Reported for trolling.

-AC

the welsh one
Originally posted by BackFire
Don't you fools know anything? Rock has been dying for the last 50 years, jeez.

you best sleep with one eye open

bakerboy
Well, reported for flaming.

Alpha Centauri
Yes, that'll get you far.

Challenging someone's opinion in ways you dislike does not constitute flaming. Posting in the music forum SOLELY because I do, always after me and always ABOUT me, WITH actual flaming posts, that may get you in trouble.

-AC

bakerboy
Insulting, cursing and scorning people and their opinions is just what you are doing, and that is flaming. You are reported.

Alpha Centauri
It's not, actually.

Cursing (Swearing) and having opinions on opinions isn't flaming. Insulting? In context. Like, oh, showing up time after time, thread after thread and far from contributing to discussion, directing intended insults at another member (You are doing that).

He may be insulted, I'm not aiming comments at him as a person, just his logic and ideas in this thread.

Stop coming into every single thread, when you don't even use this particular forum anyway, and just moaning about me. It's getting boring. Am I the only reason you come to the music section? I must be. If I wasn't, you'd be able to post without mentioning me.

-AC

the welsh one
where i live real rock is dead, its all emo and chavs and emo music and hardcore dance music

it sucks

Alpha Centauri
If you knew anything about punk, as you claim, you'd know that emo isn't what you're saying it is.

But oh well.

-AC

the welsh one
what do you know about the music scene where i live? nothing.

the emo music i was talking about is just distortiony guitars and grown men screaming and screetching, i still go to the emo gigs with friends though for the mosh pits and drunk girls big grin

Alpha Centauri
what do you know about the music scene where i live? nothing.

the emo music i was talking about is just distortiony guitars and grown men screaming and screetching, i still go to the emo gigs with friends though for the mosh pits and drunk girls big grin

Yeah, that's not emo.

Hence why I said that if you knew about punk, as you claim to, you'd know it's not emo.

-AC

the welsh one
Yeah, that's not emo.

Hence why I said that if you knew about punk, as you claim to, you'd know it's not emo.

-AC

so the ramones are emo?

Alpha Centauri
No, but that was neither what I said nor what I meant.

I said if you knew your punk history you'd know why the music you previously described is not emo, apparantly you do not.

-AC

the welsh one
No, but that was neither what I said nor what I meant.

I said if you knew your punk history you'd know why the music you previously described is not emo, apparantly you do not.

-AC

the ramones were one of the first real punk bands, without the ramones punk would not be what it is

emo and punk have hardly any connections?

Alpha Centauri
Hahaha.

"Emo and punk have no connections.".

Yeah, you definitely don't know your punk history. Right now, you've got it as wrong as you possibly could. I'm not going to spell it out for yet another person because if I do, you won't learn anything by yourself.

-AC

the welsh one
Hahaha.

Yeah, you definitely don't know your punk history. Right now, you've got it as wrong as you possibly could. I'm not going to spell it out for yet another person because if I do, you won't learn anything by yourself.

-AC

"emo and punk have 'hardly' any connections" idiot.

ill find an emo band and a punk band and then you'll know the difference.

the welsh one
Hahaha.

-AC
why do you keep thinking your the dogs bollocks when it comes to music

the welsh one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdSj0hMtmNs

^emo band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLahs7yCprQ

punk band ^...you can understand what their saying

Alpha Centauri
The funny part is, As I Lay Dying are a metal band. Even IF we were going by the wrong definition of "emo", they still wouldn't apply.

Either way, no, you're still wrong. Keep up the research, you'll get there eventually. To think, people popped off at me for calling you a musically uneducated 16 year old, but that is actually what you are. Especially when it comes to punk, a genre you claim to know about. I'm not "thinking" or acting like anything, you're just incorrect.

Not being able to understand the vocals does not make a band "emo", in either the true sense or the fake sense of the term.

Nice multiple post, by the way.

-AC

the welsh one
The funny part is, As I Lay Dying are a metal band. Even IF we were going by the wrong definition of "emo", they still wouldn't apply.

Either way, no, you're still wrong. Keep up the research, you'll get there eventually. To think, people popped off at me for calling you a musically uneducated 16 year old, but that is actually what you are. Especially when it comes to punk, a genre you claim to know about. I'm not "thinking" or acting like anything, you're just incorrect.

Not being able to understand the vocals does not make a band "emo", in either the true sense or the fake sense of the term.

Nice multiple post, by the way.

-AC

i am a musically uneducated 16 year old, i didnt choose music as a gcse and i didnt really get really into music until i was 13. also every discussion with you is always about you knowing more than the other person at music. you have got to be the most pompous, big headed guy in these forums.

everyoe who goes to the local gigs call them emo gigs. you do not know anything about the music where i live so stop thinking you do

Alpha Centauri
i am a musically uneducated 16 year old, i didnt choose music as a gcse and i didnt really get really into music until i was 13. also every discussion with you is always about you knowing more than the other person at music. you have got to be the most pompous, big headed guy in these forums.

everyoe who goes to the local gigs call them emo gigs. you do not know anything about the music where i live so stop thinking you do

It's not ABOUT me knowing more, YOU are the one bringing that up. You came on here claiming you knew about punk, citing Blink 182 as one of your favourite punk bands, and now you're proving you know nothing of the history. If you hadn't come on here acting like the cock of the walk when you have zero substance to back it up, I perhaps would have said "If you look here, and here, you can get more info on its history, cos you're not quite right.". If you act childish, I'll treat you childish, I think that's fair.

It's not about someone knowing more, it's just about you being incorrect. Nothing personal at all.

I don't NEED to know what the music scene is where you live, because you've shown me what you consider to be emo, and if you truly knew your punk history you'd not be saying that bands like the one you just posted, are emo bands.

Again, nothing personal, you just need to brush up on the research. You're still young, we were all young once, but still, no excuse for ignorance.

-AC

the welsh one
It's not ABOUT me knowing more, YOU are the one bringing that up. You came on here claiming you knew about punk, citing Blink 182 as one of your favourite punk bands, and now you're proving you know nothing of the history. If you hadn't come on here acting like the cock of the walk when you have zero substance to back it up, I perhaps would have said "If you look here, and here, you can get more info on its history, cos you're not quite right.". If you act childish, I'll treat you childish, I think that's fair.

It's not about someone knowing more, it's just about you being incorrect. Nothing personal at all.

I don't NEED to know what the music scene is where you live, because you've shown me what you consider to be emo, and if you truly knew your punk history you'd not be saying that bands like the one you just posted, are emo bands.

Again, nothing personal, you just need to brush up on the research. You're still young, we were all young once, but still, no excuse for ignorance.

-AC

i did not come on here saying i knew everything about punk at all. i made a thread called punk, im a fan of punk music i think its sound is awesome, don't know a lot about the queers but i say im a fan of them. i came on this thread to say that rock in my area is dead, thats what this thread is for.
also what does the history of punk have to do with emo? some hardcore punk can be described emo-ish i guess.

ye hopefully as i get older ill know more about music but you dont know everything

Alpha Centauri
also what does the history of punk have to do with emo? some hardcore punk can be described emo-ish i guess.

ye hopefully as i get older ill know more about music but you dont know everything

No, you're still wrong really. I can tell that in between posts you go off and websearch things, then come back and act like you're the one saying it, but at least you're learning.

Emo comes from the term, emo-core, which comes from emotive hardcore, which was a direct offshoot of hardcore punk. A DIRECT offshoot, as far back as the 80s. It was very much a punk genre, so you can go ahead and retract the statement that said "There are nearly no connections.". True emo exists because of punk.

And no, nobody knows everything.

-AC

the welsh one
No, you're still wrong really. I can tell that in between posts you go off and websearch things, then come back and act like you're the one saying it, but at least you're learning.

Emo comes from the term, emo-core, which comes from emotive hardcore, which was a direct offshoot of hardcore punk. A DIRECT offshoot, as far back as the 80s. It was very much a punk genre, so you can go ahead and retract the statement that said "There are nearly no connections.". True emo exists because of punk.

And no, nobody knows everything.

-AC

i havent been going on the web, i had some food, talked to people on msn and went into other forums

whats the music scene like where you live? is rock dead?

Alpha Centauri
What kind of nonsense is that?

Rock being "dead" is entirely opinion, but I personally do not see how a genre can ever "die" at all. Especially rock.

So in my opinion it's not dead anywhere.

I pay no attention to "scenes". I find music where I find it.

-AC

wicker_man
At the end of the day Rocks' fan-base (and its sheer loyalty and enthusiasm) will make it a genre that's not only alive and kicking (which means it AIN'T dying) but also one of the healthiest genres going - even if you don't see it on MTV or hear it on Radio One.

ragesRemorse
At the end of the day Rocks' fan-base (and its sheer loyalty and enthusiasm) will make it a genre that's not only alive and kicking (which means it AIN'T dying) but also one of the healthiest genres going - even if you don't see it on MTV or hear it on Radio One. beer yes yes

Nellinator
I'm still waiting for someone to create an argument for the continued innovation and freshness of rock with examples of something groundbreaking.

To clarify, I am not saying there are not good new bands because there are. I am saying that there virtually no bands making any headways.

Alpha Centauri
You do realise that:

A) People here haven't necessarily made that claim.

B) It's not as easy as naming band A and band B.

C) This is entirely based on your perception of rock and what constitutes freshness.

-AC

chillmeistergen
I'd much rather have the rock we have now, than having some rubbish Guns n Roses, reincarnate tripe. There are loads of innovative, brilliant rock bands out there, you just have to look. If you're waiting for this kind of rock to just pop up in the charts, then you have no reason to complain, because that shows no respect for the genre.

Nellinator
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
I'd much rather have the rock we have now, than having some rubbish Guns n Roses, reincarnate tripe. There are loads of innovative, brilliant rock bands out there, you just have to look. If you're waiting for this kind of rock to just pop up in the charts, then you have no reason to complain, because that shows no respect for the genre. ... I said multiple times that I do look and I know many obscure rock bands that I like these days. However, there is little to no innovation. I'm not saying there isn't a lot of creativity. I am saying there is little originality.

You do realise that:

A) People here haven't necessarily made that claim.

B) It's not as easy as naming band A and band B.

C) This is entirely based on your perception of rock and what constitutes freshness.

-AC
A) Some have.
/fail

B) You'd think that if someone was actually inventing and innovating, someone would be able to name at least one of those.

C) Originality and innovation can measured fairly objectively. Whether or not it is good is subjective.

chillmeistergen
... I said multiple times that I do look and I know many obscure rock bands that I like these days. However, there is little to no innovation. I'm not saying there isn't a lot of creativity. I am saying there is little originality.

You most certainly don't know all obscure and upcoming bands. It really does depend where you look, I've found some of the best bands I've got in my library in the past year, and they're from the past 10 years.

wicker_man
Rock is not dying and that's a fact. If you actually went out there, as opposed to sitting behind your computers typing all this well frankly bollocks then you'd know it's alive and kicking with tonnes and tonnes of (new) bands ready to ram this pretentious crap back down your throats. I'd rather get out their and make judgements for myself on the music scene (which I do pretty much every other weekend) then listening to a bunch of hotheads use run-of-the-mill Internet banter.

Nellinator
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
You most certainly don't know all obscure and upcoming bands. It really does depend where you look, I've found some of the best bands I've got in my library in the past year, and they're from the past 10 years. Obviously I can't know them all, but I do know many, from many different styles of rock from many different areas. And once again I'll say that yes there are many good ones, but I have yet to see an example of true originality.
Rock is not dying and that's a fact. If you actually went out there, as opposed to sitting behind your computers typing all this well frankly bollocks then you'd know it's alive and kicking with tonnes and tonnes of (new) bands ready to ram this pretentious crap back down your throats. I'd rather get out their and make judgements for myself on the music scene (which I do pretty much every other weekend) then listening to a bunch of hotheads use run-of-the-mill Internet banter. Do you understand what I mean by dying? It would seem not. You also make the assumption that I am not out checking out music scenes, which is also incorrect because I am. Furthermore, I will reiterate that I am not saying that there aren't good bands. You seem confident of your initial statement. Why is it that you haven't backed it up with evidence?

wicker_man
Obviously I can't know them all, but I do know many, from many different styles of rock from many different areas. And once again I'll say that yes there are many good ones, but I have yet to see an example of true originality.
Do you understand what I mean by dying? It would seem not. You also make the assumption that I am not out checking out music scenes, which is also incorrect because I am. Furthermore, I will reiterate that I am not saying that there aren't good bands. You seem confident of your initial statement. Why is it that you haven't backed it up with evidence?

Don't even think about trying to explain Rock to me...I've been listening to it for almost ten years. As I said I don't care what some Internet 'busy-body' thinks. It's not dying, never has and probably never will so go back to trying to make yourself feel like a big man because take this argument to a Rock orientated forum and you'd be ripped a proverbial new one. In fact do it go onto Blabbermouth, Wacken or even Download Festival's forums and see what they make of your 'statements'.

Bat Dude
First of all, you're insulted. Whether or not I INTENDED to insult you is another matter, and I didn't. That said, don't try to play the tough guy. You're a 15/16 year old kid with a "hair metal" affinity and a self-proclaimed mullet. There's genuinely nothing more unthreatening than you.

Second, your suggestions and plans really lack any logic or sense. It's not an insult, it's just there from reading your posts. Deal with it.

What is your POINT? Your initial point was that music YOU LIKE, that you CANNOT AFFORD (As in, bands with albums), is not on the radio enough. You wanted it on the radio cos you could not afford it.

So, if you would JUST be satisfied with listening to similar music that YOU made yourself, WHY would it need to be on the radio for you to listen to it? If you wanted THEM to listen, fine, but to listen to your OWN material you do not need the radio. This is why your posts are void of any sense.

Your recorded stuff IS going to be on the radio, what's the difference whether YOU play it or the radio play it? You really don't have a clue what you're on about.

If it's YOUR music that YOU want to listen to, why do you need radio? Why can't you just record it and play it to yourself?

Now you're spiralling off into insane tedium.

-AC

Well, if it's worth anything, I DON'T have a mullet anymore (just got it cut today, now it's just short)

I WOULD be satisfied with listening to my own personal copy of prerecorded music WHEN I HAVE MY CD PLAYER (or CDs)... When I don't, (and when I'm not playing it myself) and I want to listen to it, I could listen to it on the radio... (It's not hard a concept to grasp)

And, tbh, it'd be kind of kool to turn on the radio and here something that the band I'm in made (especially hearing my vocals)... It'd be a sort of surreal moment for me...

wicker_man
Are you in a band Bat Dude?

Alpha Centauri
A) Some have.
/fail

I said necessarily.

/Your pretentiousness.

B) You'd think that if someone was actually inventing and innovating, someone would be able to name at least one of those.

So you don't accept that you just might not know them, you actually believe nobody is?

Klaxons are, for one. Oh, but they're not "classic" rock, which is what you are after.

C) Originality and innovation can measured fairly objectively. Whether or not it is good is subjective.

Yeah, and innovation can be used in the sense of "ahead of the times", not just first to do something.

You realise that you've more or less narrowed it down to "Why is there no classic rock?". You've more or less said things coming off rock aren't rock, when they very well might be. Sigur Ros are an instrumental rock band, for example.

-AC

Alpha Centauri
I WOULD be satisfied with listening to my own personal copy of prerecorded music WHEN I HAVE MY CD PLAYER (or CDs)... When I don't, (and when I'm not playing it myself) and I want to listen to it, I could listen to it on the radio... (It's not hard a concept to grasp)

It's a stupid concept, is what it is, Bat Dude.

You want nationwide, town-wide or any kind of radio to play music you made JUST so you can hear it when, oops, you don't have your CD player? That's a dumb idea.

Radio play songs randomly, for one thing.

Second, it doesn't change the fact that the base of your claim is wanting to listen to more "hair metal" but not being able to afford to buy CDs. So making your own, free and cheap, would be easy.

And I don't buy that bs about "Oh, what about when I forget my CD player.".

-AC

Bat Dude
It's a stupid concept, is what it is, Bat Dude.

You want nationwide, town-wide or any kind of radio to play music you made JUST so you can hear it when, oops, you don't have your CD player? That's a dumb idea.

Radio play songs randomly, for one thing.

Second, it doesn't change the fact that the base of your claim is wanting to listen to more "hair metal" but not being able to afford to buy CDs. So making your own, free and cheap, would be easy.

And I don't buy that bs about "Oh, what about when I forget my CD player.".

-AC

Then fine...

I'm tired of having to explain myself...

But, one more time, I'll do so...

You neglect the fact that I said it's not only for that reason...

The reason you refer to isn't even the top reason for me wanting to one day have my music on the radio... I'd say it's about at #5... I only said that one first because I had already made references to my inability to get CDs...

It goes in this order, actually...

1. Bring back interest in rock music as a whole

2. Have fun (hair metal is the musical definition of fun, isn't it?)

3. Wanting to hear something I made have at least ONE play on the radio (like I said, a kool experience, for me at least)

4. Wishing to be remembered for something (I'm a speck on the beach of life, so I kinda want to be remembered, at least locally, for doing something pretty kool)

5. Back up for when my CDs are unavailable to me (it may be a "stupid concept", but it'd be nice to have that option as well as my prerecorded stuff)

And to wicker_man, I'm in the process of recruiting members (drums, lead guitar, bass guitar, and rhythm guitar) If all goes well and I find people that are not only interested but good (cuz I at least want us to sound good), then we'll start practicing covers... If we get good enough at that, then we'll start writing our own stuff... (Note: I may not find anyone, and the dream could be crushed before it begins sad )

Overall, if I find some good people, it should be a lot of fun... That is, IF I find some good people...

Ok, now I'm done...

Alpha Centauri
only said that one first because I had already made references to my inability to get CDs...

Yes, but your inability to get CDs of other bands would NOT APPLY to your own music, since you would already have it. So you wouldn't need to buy CDs, you'd already own it, so that defeats your point about needing YOUR OWN music on the radio cos you can't afford CDs.

1. Bring back interest in rock music as a whole

It's not dying. You have absolutely no right to say that because you are a self-proclaimed radio listener. You NEED the radio.

You have a dedication to "hair metal", an archaic "genre", you don't go out and look for new music or buy CDs for WHATEVER reason. So you have actually no right to say it's "dying".

2. Have fun (hair metal is the musical definition of fun, isn't it?)

Surely making the music would be why you'd be having fun, not getting it on the radio.

Definition of fun? Definition of shit, to me.

3. Wanting to hear something I made have at least ONE play on the radio (like I said, a kool experience, for me at least)

Irrelevant to your initial claim.

4. Wishing to be remembered for something (I'm a speck on the beach of life, so I kinda want to be remembered, at least locally, for doing something pretty kool)

Not everybody who has a song out gets remembered.

5. Back up for when my CDs are unavailable to me (it may be a "stupid concept", but it'd be nice to have that option as well as my prerecorded stuff)

That makes no sense. What do you mean when your CDs aren't available? You want a song on the radio just in case you are out and don't have a CD player with you? Dude, no offense, but that's a really idiotic idea.

Even if it's on a radio playlist, it's no guarantee you'll hear it when you want to hear it, so it's not a sensible point.

-AC

Nellinator
Don't even think about trying to explain Rock to me...I've been listening to it for almost ten years. As I said I don't care what some Internet 'busy-body' thinks. It's not dying, never has and probably never will so go back to trying to make yourself feel like a big man because take this argument to a Rock orientated forum and you'd be ripped a proverbial new one. In fact do it go onto Blabbermouth, Wacken or even Download Festival's forums and see what they make of your 'statements'. I'm talking about rock. I see metal as a successor to rock and it's still alive and growing and innovating. You're overreaching yourself. I am a member at Blabbermouth and I've attended Wacken before and will hopefully again this year (Carcass and At the Gates reunited FTW). That's not what I'm talking about. I don't think you actually understand anything I'm saying. Also, your angst is laughable because I'm not even being aggressive or controversial. Once again, you are overextending my claims.

I said necessarily.

/Your pretentiousness.

So you don't accept that you just might not know them, you actually believe nobody is?

Klaxons are, for one. Oh, but they're not "classic" rock, which is what you are after.

Yeah, and innovation can be used in the sense of "ahead of the times", not just first to do something.

You realise that you've more or less narrowed it down to "Why is there no classic rock?". You've more or less said things coming off rock aren't rock, when they very well might be. Sigur Ros are an instrumental rock band, for example.

-AC
Why bring it up then? Do you I was directing it at people that weren't making the argument? Very doubtful.

What? No it isn't. That's is in fact, the very opposite of what I've been saying. I'm saying that too many bands are simply repeating the past. Lots of hard rock, for example, is basically a throwback to psychedelic styled rock. I love bands like Spiritual Beggars and I like early QOTSA. But they aren't innovating or very fresh. The garage rock revival has lots of good bands that have improved styles, but they aren't fresh. I'm not going for classic rock. I'm going for something totally new and different. I hope old school styles of rock stick around forever, but I looking for new styles at the same time. Rock has been devoid of it for a while now. I'm actually confused as to where you got the idea that I'm looking for classic rock when I have explicitly said otherwise.

Now as for the Klaxons, they are original, though I'd attribute the sound more to Shitdisco and I'd call them punk, pop or electronic music before rock.

It depends on what "ahead of the times" is meaning though. Sure it can mean that the band is creating new inroads in previously explored territory, but many bands do that. I'm talking about innovation is terms of taking ideas and transforming them into something unique, like what I'd give Radiohead credit for doing with minimalism and other modern classical combined with electronic music into rock, or Deep Purple with neo-classical guitar.

I figured you'd bring up Sigur Ros, and what they are doing isn't really rock because musically it doesn't fit. However, I used 1995 going on the assumption that Mogwai was a 1994 band as they are generally seen as the pioneers of that style, but now I see that they were 1995... Then again, Slint were really the pioneers and go back to before 1995, so my point still stands.

the welsh one
bat dude, start writing your own stuff now. it'll be fun. remember its meant to be about the music

wicker_man
I'm talking about rock. I see metal as a successor to rock and it's still alive and growing and innovating. You're overreaching yourself. I am a member at Blabbermouth and I've attended Wacken before and will hopefully again this year (Carcass and At the Gates reunited FTW). That's not what I'm talking about. I don't think you actually understand anything I'm saying. Also, your angst is laughable because I'm not even being aggressive or controversial. Once again, you are overextending my claims.

Firstly do not assume you know how I feel whilst writing my posts, I do not feel 'angst' writing anything on an Internet message board...so stop assuming. I understand perfectly the stance and well being of the Rock genre, and it's far from dying to say metal is it's successor is idiotic for both still live hand-in-hand.

Anyone who claims there are no decent rock bands around nowadays are either too ignorant or too lazy to bother looking.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>