The OOT

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coolmovies
Anyone else want GL to bring out the cinema version of the OT with out any changes? (plus anarmorpic)

I was reading in a magazine where he says those tapes wont last another 20 years .

HD is on the rise and there is no good version of the OOT on Dvd

queeq
THere is the laserdisc version on DVD now. Its pretty fair, the best you can get at the moment. But I doubt he will ever polish it up for HD.

coolmovies
The one that is out is not good enough becouse you lose pic quility when u zoom in

chewy16
I have always resented fans for their hatred towards Lucas towards the PT, because you can take em or leave em, but the disrespect he shows towards the OOT really shows how much he doesn't care about a fanbase that created Skywalker Ranch.

I am not a huge fan of the PT & SE, but I can live with them, as the Rocky franchise has some bad sequels, and movies like Terminator 2 & Lord of the Rings have alternate versions. But the suppression of the OOT by Lucas just shows that instead of creating something people love anymore, he is creating something you HAVE to love now.

When Lucas released the OT on DVD in 2004, he was saying either like the SE or take a walk. Then to further rub mud in the face of those fans of the OOT, he released the OOT on DVD in 2006 in non-anamorphic laserdisk transfers that would have looked great in 1993!

Lucas has turned out to be the Emperor after all these years, as he is not a democracy, and I don't understand the harm in releasing the OT in both versions and let the fans chose which one to enjoy. If I want to see old man Anakin at the end of ROTJ, and a young kid wants to Hayden as the force ghost, what is the problem here? We are both enjoying the versions we grew up with, and it is hard to watch something for 25 years and fall in love with it, and then watch something that is changed.

I hope that Lucas comes around when BlueRay or HD-DVD finally settles their war, and we can get a Saga Boxset with the PT & OT/SE & the OOT too, and EVERY SW fan can enjoy whatever version they want.

The final insult was Lucas saying to fans in 2004 about the OOT SW version from 1977, "I am sorry you fell in love with a half-completed movie." Hey, George if it was half-completed, why don't you give back half of your money to the fans.

queeq
laughing out loud Yeah, we paid enough during the OOT years.

Well, I can understand part of his choice though. It'll cost a lost of money to transfer the OOT to a HD format, polish it up a bit and digitally remaster it, both video and audio. And what does he get in return? Pleased fans? Well, we'll always have something to complain about SW...

Plus, he does feel the OT was not the film he had envisioned. It came as close as possible at the time. Now he feels it's more up to scratch to what he had in mind. So why keep spending money on a, in his mind, half-completed movie.

Then again, when he does make a SAGA bOX set with lots of goodies, he might as well do it because we will buy yet another set when it comes out. And one day our kids will ask why we have so many sets of the same movies? They'll wonder of we're daft.... well, we are. But what the heck.

coolmovies
The OOT is the one fans fell in love with and when the SE came out in 97 fans hated it . All those changes and bad colors and new scenes force fans to buy the films again and again.

True hardcore fans are still begging for the OOT to come out and all they got is the laser disk transfer . when they come out on HD there will be more changes

Blax_Hydralisk
Aren't laser disks those big disks that look like music records? Or do you mean DVDs?

Count Makashi
What, even more money for GL, enough is enough George.

JediRobin23
To me it seems, bringing a film picture to the digital world. You can get a load of pixels onto a digital framerate and resolution by coping a original film picture. Once done, you can get only get so much of a quality while altering the digital picture. People talk about HD and they dont even know what it is.
I'll tell you what it means, its a sales pitch. Its crap. Its when TV's get larger and the resolution (amount of vertical and horizontal pixels on screen) need to increase with the size of TV's.
I remember having an old TV, about 30" and that was sufficient and it had nothing to do with 'HD' or how mayny pixels, cause the huiman eye cant tell the difference.
People want 60" TV's and regular cable doesn't have the resolution (Bandwidth) to make it look good unless your far from your TV. 'HD' is a meaningless word, and is only a function of the size of your TV.
Anyway, There will need to be alot of digital altering to make a 1976 film look good when my face is almost touching the TV when it reaches 100".

queeq
What nonsense... the high resolution will definately make a difference. More resolution is more sharpness. THe side effrect is that it will look good on a big screen too. Unlike PAL or NTSC where a big screen basically pulls all the screen lines apart. In HD you have a lot more screen lines, ergo it look stunning.

Film is analog, it has an endless resolution. It is said that the original film print is truly an amazing sight. Some of that gets lost due to copies for distribution. Making a new HD transfer of the original material, you will get to see a film's quality like no one has even seen, except the filmmakers while watching the first editied version.

But it does require a lot of hardware: HD player, good cables, HD set... if not everything in the whole process is HD, it doesn't work.

coolmovies
If you wanna see a true pic go and check out 1080 HD tv and star wars will come to life

queeq
Well.... that wouldn't really make sense since there is no HD copy of SW around.

General G
Originally posted by coolmovies
Anyone else want GL to bring out the cinema version of the OT with out any changes? (plus anarmorpic)

I was reading in a magazine where he says those tapes wont last another 20 years .

HD is on the rise and there is no good version of the OOT on Dvd

I didn't read the rest of th posts, so sorry if this was said but they do have it, they are selling it at a Sunrise Records close to where I live.

queeq
And HD version of the OT????? Must be fake.

General G
I don't know about HD, but I never noticed much of a difference anyway.

queeq
How could you? Ever seen a full HD source projected in HD? In comparison to a regular DVD on a regular TV? It's quite different.

General G
50'' TV watching new HD DVD's compared to normal DVD's, I see little difference.

Darth Subjekt
is it in 1080i ?

General G
720p.

Darth Subjekt
It would still look alot different on 1080i. I have a 60" DLP 1080i and its amazing to even watch football on. You can see the people's faces in the crowd (with HD signal). I watched Ep3 on it...woooo...it looked nuts. But 720p is a hell of a lot better than regular tv. So you get the idea.

General G
Hmm, I should try that, maybe then I will see more of a difference.

Darth Subjekt
If you have a best buy near, they usually always have them on display...it looks incredible.

General G
Best Buy and a Future Shop, they both have nice TV's on display, never stayed long enough to watch though.

Darth Subjekt
most of the ones that i go to around here have one of the SW movies playing. ROTS usually looks the best.

queeq
I bet.

Darth Subjekt
Especially when they show GG's face up close when he's fighting OB1...looks amazing. Def go check it out.

queeq
Hmmm... sounds nice.

Darth Subjekt
HD all the way

queeq
Well....

Darth Subjekt

queeq
Well, I dunno.... How much better is it really gonna get? How much sharper must it get? I mean, digital technology kinda wrecked some basic elements of a movie like Citizen Kane....

Plus in HD cinematographers have to pay a lot more attention to minute details because every little speck will show...

Darth Subjekt
Yea true. But i think it depends on the movie in question. Something like the PT where the SFX are meant to carry the movie, it'll definitely help, but if its a movie that has no special need for incredible picture than why bother. I mean if you watch an HDTV then go watch an old tub tv, its rather annoying. Its like playing Madden on a big screen then playing it on a 19". Once you experience it, its hard to go back...

queeq
I know. I have terrestrial digital tv now... if I compare it to regular cable it is so much better. I can barely wtch the normal cable tv anymore, even though it is pretty good on its own.

General G
I still don't notice much unless I am playing Halo 3.

Darth Subjekt
well to go from a big TV where you can see all the details of the game to a small TV where you can only see the figures, its a big difference. Bigger is better...in this case at least.

queeq
Only if the picture holds up.

Darth Subjekt
well they should...tvs are made pretty well these days as long as they're taken care of.

queeq
Has nothing to do with the TV. On NTSC or PAL you'd be stretching the puictuire so all lines will be very visible and the picture gets fuzzy. No TV can add lines to an image.

General G
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
well to go from a big TV where you can see all the details of the game to a small TV where you can only see the figures, its a big difference. Bigger is better...in this case at least.

Of course, I was referring to HD.

Darth Subjekt
ah ...I see. I made a mistake before...my tv is 61" 1080P, not i. Either way, its crazy. Only thing i don't like about it is on older movies (Citizen Kane style) the film itself cant hold up to the picture so it looks kinda fake. Ah well...

queeq
THe didgitized versionj of Citizen Kan is so crisp and clear that yuou even see things you weren't supposed to see... like teh faces of the journalists.

coolmovies
Thats why i am waiting for star wars on HD ! If i get a full HD tv then i will see razar sharp pics . I belive only the new films will make the most of HD rather then an old one . E.g Die Hard 4

General G
Well, it is hard to make older movies into HD, they weren't originally made in that format, so newer ones will definately be better.

queeq
What format???? You don't know too much about it, do you?

It's shot on film, the resolution is endless. HD is a digital format with a relatively high resolution, film is analog. It's the transfer from film with an endless resolution to digital that makes something HD or not. Depending on the number of lines used to scan the film image, something becomes HD or not.

General G
No, I admit I do not, I was using my own logic, but apparently should have read more.

queeq
You should, but now you know.

Film is still a lot better quality wise than HD. But we're coming to a stage where our eyes can't make out the difference anymore.

General G
Yes, and I appreciate it.

That just means less money for the bigger businesess going more advanced.

queeq
Why?

General G
Because if as you say, our eyes can't make out the difference, and other companies will continue to try to make more advanced technology (which it inevitably will), they will lose money, because people will say, "wow, that looks the same as the HD version and yet $10 more."

queeq
Well, I dunno. I am not convinced the HD revolution will happen so easily. In Europe they tried to introduce it some 15 years ago, but it failed terribly. I wonder how fast Blue-ray or HD-DVD will go. DVD definately had clear advantages over VHS. But what are the clear advantages of HD? So the picture is clearer... true, for me, I love it. But check out how the color setting of an average television in someone's living room... it's usually quite terrible. So these people have to see why HD is so much better than normal DVD???? I doubt it. It will have to be forced on us somehow. US legislation for HD was a first step in that direction.
Another clear change may take place in cinema's though. I do believe HD will take over from film eventually. Simply because it's cheaper to shoot on HD, transportation of entire movies is cheaper and easier and the copies don't get damaged after a number of runs. And in the end, HD projection will definately outdo normal filmprojection. In the cinema's it's a clear win-win situation.

General G
And it sounds like you know quite a bit.

DVD's were more expensive, and VHS and VHS players (still got one) were more widely distributed, why pay more when some people don't even know what the other looks like?

I agree with the cinemas and that it would have to be forced for people to realize a true difference.

queeq
In cinema's it will have a financial advantage. To prove the advantages of HD over regular DVD will be a lot harder I think. But who knows...

General G
They will find a way, it is inevitable, many will oppose, many will be for it, whatever it may be.

queeq
In time some titles will only appear on HD or Blue ray... and then we'll have to.

General G
Theoretically, but downloading will become more popular then...illegaly or not

queeq
True. But in what quality? That will get better when download times grow shorter due to faster connections.

General G
When businesses make them pay so much, I am sure that people won't mind a little worse quality when it is free/little to no cost.

queeq
You are so absolutely right.

General G
You're admitting I am right?!

queeq
Yup... you made your quotum of the year: to be right once.

General G
Nice! And good timing too. wink

queeq
Close call.

General G
I go for suspense.

queeq
Not in here. CLOSING.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.