illegal for under-18s to buy tobacco in U.K. from today

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zebedee
A new law making it illegal for under-18s to buy tobacco comes into force.

(Advertisement)
The legal age for buying tobacco rises from 16 to 18, bringing it into line with alcohol.

Health campaigners welcomed the move, saying it would be easier for retailers and customers to follow the law.

But critics accused the Government of a "woefully inadequate" advertising campaign, saying only one in five 16 to 18-year-olds knew about the change.

The Department of Health hopes the move will cut the number of teenage smokers and has promised a hard crackdown on retailers who flout the law.

Shop owners will have to display signs in their windows and could face fines or prosecution if they sell tobacco to those under-age.

A spokesman for the British Retail Consortium said it supported a move to bring tobacco in line with alcohol, fireworks and glue.

"Retailers are well aware of the change and have been doing their bit to inform customers," he said. "But, from today, we will see how successful the Government's promised campaign has been in preventing stores becoming conflict flashpoints as shop staff say "no" to 16 and 17-year-olds who have been able to buy cigarettes previously."

The Association of Convenience Stores, which represents around 33,000 local shops, criticised the Government's "largely internet-based" advertising campaign for shoppers.

It was certainly news to me

Magee
The age being 16 didnt stop me when I was 14 or any one else i knew, its quite easy to find a corner shop that doesnt give a shit. Its easier to just buy imported **** from people who sell them. They think this will change some thing but god knows what that is. Granted I wish I didn't start now but really theres no way to stop some one thats under age who wants to smoke for what ever reason.

Zebedee
Originally posted by Magee
The age being 16 didnt stop me when I was 14 or any one else i knew, its quite easy to find a corner shop that doesnt give a shit. Its easier to just buy imported **** from people who sell them. They think this will change some thing but god knows what that is. Granted I wish I didn't start now but really theres no way to stop some one thats under age who wants to smoke for what ever reason.

Did you know this was happening though?

Quiero Mota
Well I guess the U.S. really does have a lot of influence in Britian.

chillmeistergen
I work in a shop part time and to be honest, this is going to be a nightmare. The number of local kids that I know are 16 and 17 and smoke is massive, when they are refused sale it's going to kick off.

It's also adding massive confusion to matters, staff are going to have to get used to not doing something they've been doing for years and years, and customers are going to have to live with the fact that yesterday they could buy them; today they can't.

Zebedee
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
I work in a shop part time and to be honest, this is going to be a nightmare. The number of local kids that I know are 16 and 17 and smoke is massive, when they are refused sale it's going to kick off.

It's also adding massive confusion to matters, staff are going to have to get used to not doing something they've been doing for years and years, and customers are going to have to live with the fact that yesterday they could buy them; today they can't.

Yes it's going to make things very difficult as i bet these local "smoker kids" are the most difficult type of kid.

chillmeistergen
Unfortunately, yes.

Zebedee
Unfortunately, yes.

I can see shoplifting, assaults on shop staff, intimidation etc. All going up.

chillmeistergen
Yeah pretty much, I'm not particularly worried about shoplifters. But the assault thing, it's not really worth my measly part time wage to get attacked.

I'll have to find another way to afford going out on the weekend and funding my studies, if it happens.

Zebedee
Yeah pretty much, I'm not particularly worried about shoplifters. But the assault thing, it's not really worth my measly part time wage to get attacked.

I'll have to find another way to afford going out on the weekend and funding my studies, if it happens.

Fair comment, are you old enough to do bar work?

chillmeistergen
Yeah, I'm 18 and have thought about it for a while. It doesn't really matter what I do as long as I get a little bit of money to tide me over.

I'm on my year out at the moment and jobs mean very little to me. Having fun and enjoying the company I've got here, while I can means a lot more.

Zebedee
Yeah, I'm 18 and have thought about it for a while. It doesn't really matter what I do as long as I get a little bit of money to tide me over.

I'm on my year out at the moment and jobs mean very little to me. Having fun and enjoying the company I've got here, while I can means a lot more.

Fair enough, but a bar job in a vibrant young pub/club might actually aid you in that.

chillmeistergen
Yeah, that's a good point.

Alfheim
Yeah, that's a good point.

Anyway you got no problem getting cigs gramps. Your well over the age limit. stick out tongue

chillmeistergen
18's well over nowadays is it?

Alfheim
18's well over nowadays is it?

No 72. no expression

chillmeistergen
Well, hopefully I don't look 72. That would be a bit of a piss take.

Schecter
wow....you mean they've been selling tobacco to kids all this time?

chillmeistergen
Well, to sixteen year olds, yeah.

Schecter
children

Devil King
Originally posted by Zebedee
A spokesman for the British Retail Consortium said it supported a move to bring tobacco in line with alcohol, fireworks and glue.

Glue? Are only 18+ allowed to buy glue?

chillmeistergen
Yeah, we have a problem with solvent abuse here.

Bicnarok

lord xyz

(Advertisement)
The legal age for buying tobacco rises from 16 to 18, bringing it into line with alcohol.

Health campaigners welcomed the move, saying it would be easier for retailers and customers to follow the law.

But critics accused the Government of a "woefully inadequate" advertising campaign, saying only one in five 16 to 18-year-olds knew about the change.

The Department of Health hopes the move will cut the number of teenage smokers and has promised a hard crackdown on retailers who flout the law.

Shop owners will have to display signs in their windows and could face fines or prosecution if they sell tobacco to those under-age.

"Retailers are well aware of the change and have been doing their bit to inform customers," he said. "But, from today, we will see how successful the Government's promised campaign has been in preventing stores becoming conflict flashpoints as shop staff say "no" to 16 and 17-year-olds who have been able to buy cigarettes previously."

The Association of Convenience Stores, which represents around 33,000 local shops, criticised the Government's "largely internet-based" advertising campaign for shoppers.

It was certainly news to me I first knew about it on a sign in Asda just last week. I thought it was a misprint. I am offended that we weren't told about this and disgusted they are trying to bully us into doing what they want us to do. However, I am glad it'll restrict cigarettes from youths thinking they're hard. Much harder for young teens to look 18 than it is to look 16.

It seems that force really does work when it comes to matters like this. Much easier aswell. I used to think that force shouldn't be used, but it is affective and good when addressing stupid people like smokers who won't understand.

Also, why all these changes with Gordon Brown? He's being very un-labour in my opinion.

lord xyz

grey fox
Originally posted by lord xyz
I first knew about it on a sign in Asda just last week. I thought it was a misprint. I am offended that we weren't told about this and disgusted they are trying to bully us into doing what they want us to do. However, I am glad it'll restrict cigarettes from youths thinking they're hard. Much harder for young teens to look 18 than it is to look 16.

It seems that force really does work when it comes to matters like this. Much easier aswell. I used to think that force shouldn't be used, but it is affective and good when addressing stupid people like smokers who won't understand.

Also, why all these changes with Gordon Brown? He's being very un-labour in my opinion.

Eh GB may be acting like this due to the Referendum stink , possible 'quick election' and the fact that he hasn't really done all that much.

RedAlertv2
I dont really get it. I mean, 16 year olds understand the consequences of smoking. Especially here in the US, where there is a huge amount of emphasis given to preventing smoking, both in school and in advertisements all over (not sure if its the same in the UK). As long as people understand the consequences of their actions, they should be allowed to do what they want, at their own expense.

Bicnarok
What does that mean? It can't mean road toll, we don't have any. smile

Not yetsmile

Magee
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
I dont really get it. I mean, 16 year olds understand the consequences of smoking. Especially here in the US, where there is a huge amount of emphasis given to preventing smoking, both in school and in advertisements all over (not sure if its the same in the UK). As long as people understand the consequences of their actions, they should be allowed to do what they want, at their own expense. Yes that is a reasonable persons logic but i'm afraid governments just love to tell its people what they can and can't do, its a joke.

Carloali
It is about time! The smoking should be prohibit for under 18 in all countries and it should be made forbitten in all the public places including restaurants, airports etc.

lord xyz
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
I dont really get it. I mean, 16 year olds understand the consequences of smoking. Especially here in the US, where there is a huge amount of emphasis given to preventing smoking, both in school and in advertisements all over (not sure if its the same in the UK). As long as people understand the consequences of their actions, they should be allowed to do what they want, at their own expense. Now if only you were in politics. You are the kind of person that I would vote for.

Originally posted by Bicnarok
Not yetsmile No. Please, no. We're a nation obcessed with taxes, we can't go backwards now.

yvonnekarate
Hmm, okay. Almost the exact law was changed here in 1996. No one talks about it now, it's acceoted and I think it's okay to be honest. And it's illegal to advertise for tobacco products, the same with alcohol.

Regards, Yvonne

Magee
People talk about it because its change, no one will care in a years time but the dream they have that it will stop young people smoking is just wrong.

RedAlertv2
Originally posted by Carloali
It is about time! The smoking should be prohibit for under 18 in all countries and it should be made forbitten in all the public places including restaurants, airports etc. I agree with making it illegal in public places (but keep in mind restaurants are private places), since that negatively affects people like myself, who dont want to be inhaling secondhand smoke. But why should we try and keep people from smoking in their own homes?

Magee
You couldn't stop people smoking in there homes as there is no way to enforce it and also the fact that would never happen.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Magee
People talk about it because its change, no one will care in a years time but the dream they have that it will stop young people smoking is just wrong. No, but it will prevent them from smoking.

Captain King
Because the United Kingdom is a police state.

You would think british people would get that by now what with "kingdom" and all.

smoker4
Originally posted by Captain King

You would think british people would get that by now what with "kingdom" and all.

Yeah thanks for registering and opening my eyes

Captain King
Originally posted by smoker4
Yeah thanks for registering and opening my eyes
You're welcome. smile

lord xyz

You would think british people would get that by now what with "kingdom" and all. OMG I never realised we had a Queen!! shock

Also, change your username, you are not Capt Fantastic/Devil King.

Impersinator.

Captain King
Captain King is a naval rank.

Look it up.

BlackC@

(Advertisement)

It was certainly news to me

This has been the law in my country for years!

Syren
I was clueless when I was 16 shrug Started smoking when I was 12, thought I was cool. I think it's a positive move, if a little shakily executed.

Creshosk
Captain King is a naval rank.

Look it up.

dur

lord xyz
Originally posted by Syren
I was clueless when I was 16 shrug Started smoking when I was 12, thought I was cool. I think it's a positive move, if a little shakily executed. I started smoking (if you could call it that) a few weeks ago. And let me say, it's good for a while, but really, it's not as good as they say. All that happens is you get used to it, that's probably the time when you should stop.

Syren
A few weeks ago? During all this hype against smoking? When I started smoking I knew it wasn't the healthiest option but I was very young and they were still advertising cigarettes on billboards so it wasn't as taboo as it is now. I realise I probably sound like all of our parents (those who smoke) but it's true. If I hadn't started smoking back then there's no way I'd start now erm

lord xyz
A few weeks ago? During all this hype against smoking? When I started smoking I knew it wasn't the healthiest option but I was very young and they were still advertising cigarettes on billboards so it wasn't as taboo as it is now. I realise I probably sound like all of our parents (those who smoke) but it's true. If I hadn't started smoking back then there's no way I'd start now erm All my friends do it and want me to do it. Might aswell try a bit.

It's not the best thing in the world. Pretty cool though.

Syren
Wow, it's like taking a leap back in time laughing out loud

Enjoy it... I guess? shrug

lord xyz
Wow, it's like taking a leap back in time laughing out loud

Enjoy it... I guess? shrug It's just the bit at the end, and getting it light. Also, walking whilst smoking is kinda bad. You keep thinking you're falling over...especially down hill!

DARKLORDCAEDUS
As long as underage kids have fake I.D.'s nothing is illegal. I have never ever smoked.

Syren
It's just the bit at the end, and getting it light. Also, walking whilst smoking is kinda bad. You keep thinking you're falling over...especially down hill!

Are you winding me up? Because, you sound like a 12 year old and I figured you as older confused

Bigon
As though that would stop them getting it or stop people selling it to them! Those who would sell it to a customer on a tricycle are not going to change their ways now!

lord xyz
Are you winding me up? Because, you sound like a 12 year old and I figured you as older confused I'm 15, and kinda.

Syren
I'm 15, and kinda.

laughing

Not funny nahuh

The Pict
Originally posted by DARKLORDCAEDUS
As long as underage kids have fake I.D.'s nothing is illegal. I have never ever smoked.

Fake IDs are usually easy to spot, if you know how to do your job.

I work in a Threshers off-licence, and we operate a Think 21 policy for products only available to people age 18 and up. So I have to ID people that look 18, 19 and 20 for cigarettes. 5 days in and it's already a bit of a nightmare.

lord xyz
laughing

Not funny nahuh It was a bit. stick out tongue

Though, most of what I said is true.

Syren
Only the mature bits I hope.

Alpha Centauri
Why do people act like smoking cigarettes is something you are incapable of escaping?

People quit heroin, you can quit smoking.

-AC

Creshosk
mature bits.

vin

inimalist
BLAH

General Zink
Smoking is dumb. That's all I have to say here. I was disappointed when the state of California failed to pass the extra taxation on cigarettes.

InnerRise

(Advertisement)

It was certainly news to me I'm glad they did this.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

lord xyz
Only the mature bits I hope. Well, all my friends doing it, and it's scary whilst walking because you keep thinking you're going to fall over...

chillmeistergen
I had some 17 year old lad begging me to sell him 20 Richmond Superkings yesterday.

I'm going to try and get ten entries in a row, in the refusal of sale book, then probably just make myself a medal.

lord xyz
I had some 17 year old lad begging me to sell him 20 Richmond Superkings yesterday.

I'm going to try and get ten entries in a row, in the refusal of sale book, then probably just make myself a medal. Why is it always Richmond?

chillmeistergen
They love 'em, I suppose because they're cheap. I tend to lean more towards L&B, or Marlboro Lights.

lord xyz
They love 'em, I suppose because they're cheap. I tend to lean more towards L&B, or Marlboro Lights. Where I'm from it's either Lamburt, Richmond or Mayfair. Richmond mainly.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.