Illnois Middle School Bans Hugs....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Draco69
What is this country coming to.....

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/illinois-middle-school-says-no-to-hugs/20071002094109990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001#cmntbgn

OAK PARK, Ill. (Oct. 2) - If you need a hug, you won't get it at Percy Julian Middle School. Principal Victoria Sharts banned hugging among the suburban Chicago school's 860 students anywhere inside the building. She said students were forming "hug lines" that made them late for classes and crowded the hallways.

"Hugging is really more appropriate for airports or for family reunions than passing and seeing each other every few minutes in the halls," Sharts said.

Another reason to institute the no-hugging policy was that some hugs could be too long and too close, she said.

"There is another side to the issue when a hug is either unwanted or becomes inappropriate as judged by one of the students involved," Sharts wrote in a statement to parents. "On occasion, we do deal with those incidents. The goal is always to promote safe and orderly hallways where everybody can get by, be safe, and be on time."

Of course!! Hugs lead to fondling. Fondling leads to sex. Sex leads to AIDS and all the students will start dying enmasse!

AND it's the primary cause of tardiness to class! The students are so busy having a hug orgy they forget to go to class on time.

Swear to god, the f***king stupidity....

JLred
that was a stupid thing...

Lana
Wow, I live 15 minutes away from that school. Weird.

Schecter
Originally posted by Draco69

Of course!! Hugs lead to fondling. Fondling leads to sex. Sex leads to AIDS and all the students will start dying enmasse!

haha
kinda reminds me of the 'gateway drug' argument

InnerRise
I heard also that they banned hand holding.

They also said for some reason that these were just "GUIDELINES" set out for the students.

Does the changing of wording really make a difference.

They stated that they don't think Parents would like the idea of their children just going aroung hugging people.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

inimalist
Seems good

we need to get that insecurity about touching and sex branded right into the heads of children as early as possible.

Kelly_Bean
We weren't allowed to do anything like that either. We had to have a specific amount of space between each other and hugging was considered PDA. If we got caught hugging we would get a warning and then a detention.

Draco69
Originally posted by Kelly_Bean
We weren't allowed to do anything like that either. We had to have a specific amount of space between each other and hugging was considered PDA. If we got caught hugging we would get a warning and then a detention.

God help us. No wonder we turn into such whores and sluts in college. All that pent up need for affection and human contact just explodes.....

Blax_Hydralisk
In a massive and sticky orgy of love and spermicide?

Quiero Mota
I guess in IL hugging qualifies as PDA.

Lana
Well, Oak Park is a bit of a weird town...

Zebedee
Kids use it as an excuse to mess about in corridors and not get to lessons on time in schools.

JLred
but hugging is really stupid in my school...it seems so stupid...girls will say hi across the room and shuffle across to give you a hug...but i try not to complain...and waving like two feet from each other...

Zebedee
Originally posted by JLred
but hugging is really stupid in my school...it seems so stupid...girls will say hi across the room and shuffle across to give you a hug...but i try not to complain...and waving like two feet from each other...

Yup, it's a serious cause of tardiness to class and it's the ones who need to be in class most who do it the most to arrive latest.

.:Space Opera:.
I wonder if they forgot to ban felching?

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Lana
Well, Oak Park is a bit of a weird town...

Backwards?

Originally posted by .messedpace Opera:.
I wonder if they forgot to ban felching?

laughing out loud

Kelly_Bean
God help us. No wonder we turn into such whores and sluts in college. All that pent up need for affection and human contact just explodes.....
Very funny.

Lana
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Backwards?

laughing out loud

Nah, more like it wants to be this quaint little perfect town. It's a bit strange, though unlike most of the suburbs around here there's actually stuff to do there.

(Oak Park is one of the two towns around here that everyone hangs out with during high school and stuff. Still a kind of strange town though)

Alliance
HAHA! NO HUGS IN OAK PARK.

BackFire
A good decision. The last thing this world needs is more affection between people.

Sadako of Girth
Agreed. stick out tongue

Well thats wrestling off the curriculum then...

"Less hugs!! More fear!!!"
Could this be attempt at reverse psychology?
Attempting to herd the cattle towards toward the cliff by banning it, making it seem more desirable.
Worked for alchhol and Rock and Roll....

An psychological attempt to finally covertly get the various gangs hugging and ending the violence? stick out tongue

Probably not, but the way they're carrying on....

botankus
The decision doesn't make any sense, but I'd pay big money to see someone barge red-rover style through one of these hug lines, which are stupid as well.

ADarksideJedi
That is horrible.What is the world coming too when there is no hugging in school.jm roll eyes (sarcastic)

Zebedee
Originally posted by BackFire
A good decision. The last thing this world needs is more affection between people.

It certainly doesn't need these shows of false affection between people who have only seen each other minutes before.

frankenfeltch
Someone should give that ****ing principal a hug.

Devil King
What is a hug line? I have an image in my head, but I'm not certain it's correct.

If the kids are using it as an excuse, it should be banned. But, there's simply no way a student body of 860 students can literally be kept from hugging each other by a staff that's likely somewhere between 30 and 50 adults.

As it's described in the post, the administration doesn't seem to be making the hugs = sex connection. But, it all really depends on what this hug line thing is.

Grinning Goku
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
In a massive and sticky orgy of love and spermicide?

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Zebedee
Originally posted by Devil King
What is a hug line? I have an image in my head, but I'm not certain it's correct.

If the kids are using it as an excuse, it should be banned. But, there's simply no way a student body of 860 students can literally be kept from hugging each other by a staff that's likely somewhere between 30 and 50 adults.

As it's described in the post, the administration doesn't seem to be making the hugs = sex connection. But, it all really depends on what this hug line thing is.

Yup, that's the sort of thing between every lesson, groups of kids come out of lessons and hug each other. What a ridiculous waste of time and show of false emotion. It makes them late to class and is simply stupid.

inimalist
Originally posted by Zebedee
Yup, that's the sort of thing between every lesson, groups of kids come out of lessons and hug each other. What a ridiculous waste of time and show of false emotion. It makes them late to class and is simply stupid.

so the answer is to ban all things that distract children and which adults find stupid?

now the wonderful "underground huggers" will start, and soon someone will get suspended for it... lol, man, im so glad I'm done school

oh, at least I feel this is kindof related: Macleans magazine recently put out an article about why c+ students end up being the bosses of A+ students. Basically, people who are really intelligent get pushed out of the school system by garbage like this

Zebedee
Originally posted by inimalist
so the answer is to ban all things that distract children and which adults find stupid?

Yes

Devil King
Originally posted by inimalist

No, the point is to "ban" the things the children end up using as an excuse to use as a distraction.

The kids know full well what they're doing. I still don't understand the concept of a "hug line", but I seriously doubt it's to express friendship or sex.

Victor Von Doom
Yup, it's a serious cause of tardiness to class and it's the ones who need to be in class most who do it the most to arrive latest.

Exactly.

Sounds like a serious case of 'tardiness as well.

I don't see why people are getting 'PC gone mad' about it.

Alliance
What is a hug line?
Its also known as an STD pit.

Ozone
Sooner or later, they'll ban the shaking of hands, although it's a form of greeting.

Critic
No, the point is to "ban" the things the children end up using as an excuse to use as a distraction.

The kids know full well what they're doing. I still don't understand the concept of a "hug line", but I seriously doubt it's to express friendship or sex.

The exact opposite could be said as well, though. Some people may treat that as a way of greeting someone (EG: Handshake). I do agree with you that an extensive line-up for physical hugging is slightly ridiculous.

Victor Von Doom
Isn't that what he said?

Critic
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Isn't that what he said?

Here, I'll clarify:

He stated that children use hugging as a distraction. I said they use it as a form of greeting each other.

Devil King
Yeah, I understand that. But in this case, it seems pretty clear to me that it's causing a problem. I mean, nobody in their right mind would go so far as to ban hugs unless it was causing a problem. And the problem seems to have been started by the kids themselves.

It's like that kid that had to go to the bathroom all the time. There were at least five or six in my class. Shows up for class, five minutes into class he asks to go to the bathroom. When he finally comes back 20 minutes later, did anyone really think he was in the bathroom? No. In fact, it made it a problem for the rest of us when we had to go to the bathroom.

Think about all the legitimate hugs that will go ungiven because of the few bad apples.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Critic
Here, I'll clarify:

He stated that children use hugging as a distraction. I said they use it as a form of greeting each other.

Though it has become a problem. As he (and you) mention.

Critic

I wouldn't go as far as saying that what I said is what HE said. I may have took it literally when you meant it in a different context, though.

Zebedee
Which it is in many schools. It's also false affection. Some of these kids hug each other between every lesson. To be honest why? They've only just seen each other 50 minutes early and they hug each other one after another waste time when they should be going to lessons. This isn't the only school to have banned hugging some in the U.K. have also.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Critic
I wouldn't go as far as saying that what I said is what HE said. I may have took it literally when you meant it in a different context, though.

Well, I don't think he precluded the idea that it was just a greeting. He just acknowledged the problem side of it more apparently, which is more or less the same conclusion as you (and I).

Which it is in many schools. It's also false affection. Some of these kids hug each other between every lesson. To be honest why? They've only just seen each other 50 minutes early and they hug each other one after another waste time when they should be going to lessons. This isn't the only school to have banned hugging some in the U.K. have also.

I can actually imagine the annoyingness.

Zebedee

I can actually imagine the annoyingness.

The other thing is other students and staff are trying to get to where they have to be with all this rubbish going on. It really is only a perecntage of students that do this. However they are the ones that usually are most in need of an education of some kind.

Critic
Naturally, but I took your statement into a separate context because I failed to ask you to elaborate. My mistake.

Victor Von Doom
No harm done.

chithappens
Shrug, a fine line for adults who don't know how to deal with their kids.

We should be discussing what the acts getting passed by Congress are doing to our Civil Rights since this modern era of "terrorism."

That stuff is just as ridiculous if not more so.

vivando-loca
my school banned any form of PDA a long time ago. it's stupid.

Zebedee
Originally posted by vivando-loca

my school banned any form of PDA a long time ago. it's stupid.

The school or the PDA?

Victor Von Doom
Or...the ban?

Zebedee
Or...the ban?

Yes, or the ban?

RedAlertv2
Yup, it's a serious cause of tardiness to class and it's the ones who need to be in class most who do it the most to arrive latest. The solution to that is to raise the penalties for being tardy, not to ban hugging of all things.

EDIT kinda just rethought this post, and realized that in reality, the kids being late are probably the ones who arent actually hugging, but are trying to dodge through the crowd on their way to class. So yea, retracted and such.

Devil King
It's also false affection.

Hardly the point.

waste time

This would be the bottom line as far as I'm concerned.

meep-meep
What is this country coming to.....

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/illinois-middle-school-says-no-to-hugs/20071002094109990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001#cmntbgn

OAK PARK, Ill. (Oct. 2) - If you need a hug, you won't get it at Percy Julian Middle School. Principal Victoria Sharts banned hugging among the suburban Chicago school's 860 students anywhere inside the building. She said students were forming "hug lines" that made them late for classes and crowded the hallways.

"Hugging is really more appropriate for airports or for family reunions than passing and seeing each other every few minutes in the halls," Sharts said.

Another reason to institute the no-hugging policy was that some hugs could be too long and too close, she said.

"There is another side to the issue when a hug is either unwanted or becomes inappropriate as judged by one of the students involved," Sharts wrote in a statement to parents. "On occasion, we do deal with those incidents. The goal is always to promote safe and orderly hallways where everybody can get by, be safe, and be on time."

AND it's the primary cause of tardiness to class! The students are so busy having a hug orgy they forget to go to class on time.

Swear to god, the f***king stupidity....

Well considering this is appears to only be happening at one crappy school in the crappy state of Illinois I don't think the rest of the country has much to worry about. If this crazy Illinisian custom spreads to Wisconsin then I will give it some thought.

meep-meep
Also, am I the only one who laughed when they heard the principal's last name?

botankus
Vicky Sharts is probably one fugly chick.

Bardock42
Originally posted by InnerRise
I heard also that they banned hand holding.

Makes sense.

Hand holding leads to hugs.

meep-meep
Originally posted by botankus
Vicky Sharts is probably one fugly chick.

Which might esplain why she is banning hugs.....she is spiteful for never getting them herself.

hehehe...Sharts....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.