Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Darth Bane

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Scythe
Its Kenobi post ROTS around the time he pwned A'sharad so he's been meditating in the desert for a bit. Versus Bane after Ruusan right before he gets his orbalisks.

Its an all out fight that takes place in the jungles of Felucia.

Blax_Hydralisk
Hm..

I'm gonna go with Obi-Wan, but by a long LONG shot.

Wait.. is this force included? Never mind he just gets trashed, then.

Darth Scythe
Yeah its all out. Sabers/Force included.

darthsith19
Bane wins, but close.

Darth_Glentract
Close? I don't think so. Bane takes this by a large margin.

Blue_Hefner
Obi-Wan puts up laughable resistant, and Bane wins pretty easily, even though Obi-Wan would be the only Jedi Bane's ever fought

Count Makashi
Bane wins, but only because of the better Force powers.

ThoraxeRMG
Darth Bane

vader11
Bane wins.

((The_Anomaly))
In a saber fight I've gotta give the slight edge to Kenobi. But overall Bane is superior to Obi-Wan, so he wins.

ihavenoname
seeing hteres force bane would just use force crush

Allankles
Obi Wan takes it in a close fight. How strong is Bane? I doubt that he's as strong as Dooku. I've read through POD and other than the fact that it's not one of the best novels - even in SW - I never got the impression Bane would crash someone like Obi Wan with the force.

Unless we're saying Bane by this point was stronger than ROTS Anakin in the force? The same Anakin that could bring down ceilings with a scream and lift objects weighing tons with ease.

All I'm saying is Bane doesn't seem to have Dooku's level of force mastery, and I could see him get himself beat down by Obi Wan in a lightsaber duel.

Proteus
Lol, you're crazy. I'd even argue that Quordis - the guy that Bane utterly tooled with the force - would be beyond Obi-Wan in the force, simply because of his statues in his order, and the fact that as a natural force spirit, he was still able to use the force whereas Obi-Wan couldn't do squat.

Darth Sexy
That's assuming the whole Qordis being a spirit wasn't retconned. Oops, it was!

Proteus
Since when exactly? Quit making shit up.

Darth Sexy
Originally posted by Proteus
Since when exactly? Quit making shit up.

Since POD came out. No qordis ghost, no Kaan ghost, no Freedon Nadd holocron, etc..

Proteus
How does PoD retcon the part of BotS where Quordis appears as a spirit a spirit?

Darth Sexy
Originally posted by Proteus
How does PoD retcon the part of BotS where Quordis appears as a spirit a spirit?

Because apparently he didn't go to Onderon and find out the rule of two, which would rule out any of that stuff I said, from happening.

Manslayer
And claiming that quordis is stronger than obi wan simply because of his status is absurd seeing that every apprentice is a "sith lord" in the brotherhood of darkness

Proteus
Actually, it was that coupled along with how powerful his spirit was, and no, not every Apprentice is a Sith Lord in the Brotherhood; the most talented students became Dark Lords towards the end of the war, and that was because not only had they become as powerful as most of the Dark Lords within the BoD, but because the BoD needed more of them on the Battlefield. Quordis, being the head of the most important Academy, and one of the top 3 sith, is very powerful.

Yet when Bane applied a force choke on him, his force defence was described as being torn away by Bane's attack as if it wasn't even there. bane absoultely demolished Quordis with the force, and he'd do the same to Obi-Wan.

Sexy, I really have no idea what you're talking about. PoD doesn't make note of anything that takes place after the book at all, so I don't know where you got the idea that he 'apparently didn't go to Onderon' from.

Darth Sexy
POD retconned it with Revan's holocron. Originally Bane went to Dxun and took Nadd's holocron and figured out the rule for two. Since Revan is credited with this (and since it's illogical that Nadd would have a holocron otherwise Kun would have taken it), the story has been retconned.

Proteus
1. The Ro2 bullshit has been retconned, sure, but that's a completely different part of the story.

2. FYI, The DSSB directly states that the holocron was something that Kun missed.

Darth Sexy
Really? Please give me the page number and quote. Furthermore, it has been retconned because the holocron specifically gave Bane the idea for the rule of two. Since it was really Revan's holocron, that whole part was retconned.

Proteus
The appearance of Quordis' spirit is a completely unrelated event. No retcon there thanks. Page number, I have no clue. I can't remember the exact section actually, but it's there. I'm thinking the section on either Bane or Dxun.

darthsith19
Yes, PoD retconned Bane learning about the rule of two from Nadd, but it doesn't contradict Qordis becomign a spirit, nor Kaan. He still went there, otherwise how did he get his armor? Just because one element is contradicted doesn't mean the whole thing is wrong.

On that matter, Kenobi would beat Qordis with comical ease. All Qordis ever did was get humiliated by Bane and then get killed by Bane in a wtf pwnage matter.

Darth Sexy
It contradicts the entire story, because he went to Dxun for the Nadd holocron. Since there really was no Nadd holocron for him to learn the rule of two, instead being Revan's holocron, it defeats any purpose of him being there

Proteus
You appear to have gotten your information wrong. Bane doesn't go to Dxun for the holocron, he flees there after the destruction of the BoD, and is guided to the holocron after arriving.

Also, the holocron itself isn't retconned, just that thought that he came up with the Ro2 after studying from it.

Darth Sexy
The holocron IS what gave him the thought. It was retconned with the creation of Revan's holocron.

Proteus
It depends how you look at it. You could say the thought itself is retconned, not the holocron, which played a larger part than simply giving him the idea for the Ro2.

darthsith19
DS, if the entire story is retconned, how did Bane get his armor, or did he never get it?

Manslayer
Originally posted by darthsith19
DS, if the entire story is retconned, how did Bane get his armor, or did he never get it? Could be that he DOES flee to dxun and enters the tomb, BUT no holocron, just orbalisks who attach themselves onto him

Proteus
The existence of the holocron has been referenced to in other sources. The holocron itself shouldn't be retconned, given that it plays a larger part to the story than just providing Bane with ideas for the Ro2.

Lightsnake
Name them. Now

darthsith19
Originally posted by Manslayer
Could be that he DOES flee to dxun and enters the tomb, BUT no holocron, just orbalisks who attach themselves onto him

That is exactly what I'm saying - the holocron is retconned, but the rest of the story isn't.

Darth Sexy
As I recall, the spirit of Kaan guides him to Dxun because there's something "there" for him to continue the sith legacy. That would be referring to Nadd's Holocron. Since he already found Revan's and the Nadd thing was retconned, there would be no reason for him to go to Dxun.

Manslayer
So no orbalisks? Then why does he appear in his corny armour in a holocron krayt summoned

Darth Sexy
Good point..

Manslayer
We will have to wait till the new book comes out then. Imo i think bane will be an over powered bullshit character. DK seems to overhype certein characters greatly exaggerating

Light_Sith
Round 1. Bane is not sure about Kenobi but can feel nothing too powerful. He leaps into action with crushing blows and Kenobi is forced back, barely able to hold on to his Saber. As the round comes to a close Bane realises that his opponent's defence will be tough to break.

Before the end of the round, Bane has had enough. He focuses all of his energy into some sort of force push/crush/lift and Kenobi's defences are too weak to bear it.

Bane KO 1 via Hyper-Death.

Allankles
After facing the likes of Maul, Dooku, Durge and Anakin I don't think Bane is overwhelming Obi Wan. I believe Obi could well embarrass Bane here. Obi ftw.

Thiru
In a saber duel maybe

Light_Sith

Sith Dude
Obi Wan's never done anything that impressive, i mean he kill Maul but that was just a cheap/lucky shot.
Bane is ruthless, staged the destruction of the BrotherHood of darkness and studied ancient sith secrets from Revan.

Quark_666
Originally posted by Sith Dude
Obi Wan's never done anything that impressive, i mean he kill Maul but that was just a cheap/lucky shot.
Bane is ruthless, staged the destruction of the BrotherHood of darkness and studied ancient sith secrets from Revan.

Never killed Grievous? Never beat the chosen one? I suppose those were lucky, too. Obi-Wan has quite a tendency to get "lucky shots". It never seems to occur to some people that he might have some skill. We'll just put it this way: Obi-Wan might get a "lucky shot" on Bane.

Oh...wait...he never studied Revan's secrets...he must be a loser...

Actually, I really think Bane wins this. But I'm tired of hearing about how Kenobi was lucky with Maul, with Grievous, with Anakin...he was a soresu master! The fact that he wasn't all over his opponents is an indication of his skill, not his weakness! The fact that he was alive, present, conscious and levelheaded enough to finish off those opponents might not mean he had more power, skill or experience then they did, but he was still more valuable under the combat conditions for some reason or other. I think it was his levelheadedness in combat, but I'm not the only opinion on earth.

Darth Scythe
Originally posted by Quark_666

Actually, I really think Bane wins this. But I'm tired of hearing about how Kenobi was lucky with Maul, with Grievous, with Anakin...he was a soresu master! The fact that he wasn't all over his opponents is an indication of his skill, not his weakness! The fact that he was alive, present, conscious and levelheaded enough to finish off those opponents might not mean he had more power, skill or experience then they did, but he was still more valuable under the combat conditions for some reason or other. I think it was his levelheadedness in combat, but I'm not the only opinion on earth.

I agree with all of this. I call it the Brett Favre effect. It's not always pretty, and he can be getting his ass kicked, but he STILL pulls it out and gets the W at the end of the day.

0°Mandalore°0
Originally posted by Allankles
After facing the likes of Maul, Dooku, Durge and Anakin I don't think Bane is overwhelming Obi Wan. I believe Obi could well embarrass Bane here. Obi ftw.

Yeah, but you seem to be forgetting he actually lost against Dooku and Maul.
Anakin could've been able to defeat him, also. The only one he was able to overpower was Durge...

0°Mandalore°0
Originally posted by Quark_666
Actually, I really think Bane wins this. But I'm tired of hearing about how Kenobi was lucky with Maul, with Grievous, with Anakin...he was a soresu master!

In my opinion (and I think in almost everyone's opinion) Kenobi was only lucky against Maul. I would not consider the way in which he killed Grievous or beat Anakin lucky.
I also believe almost everyone here knows Kenobi was a very skilled swordsman and a very talented Soresu master... well at least I do.

vader11

Quark_666

Jmanghan
Bump

SunRazer
Obi-Wan holds his own but falls.

carthage
Kenobi pretty easily

Azronger
Originally posted by SunRazer
Obi-Wan holds his own but falls.

MythLord
Bane, good fight.

Beniboybling
PoD Bane isn't winning this lol.

SunRazer
Oh, yeah. PoD Bane loses.

MythLord
I thought it was DoE... PoD dies.

Beniboybling
smile thumb up

Ursumeles
Originally posted by SunRazer
Oh, yeah. PoD Bane loses.

Azronger
Well, in that case, Bane gets stomped.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Azronger
Well, in that case, Bane gets stomped.
Let me guess, Bane can only take a hundred Jedi Knights at once while Kenobi can take several hundred at once?

Beniboybling
Nah, Bane just sucks.

Azronger
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Let me guess, Bane can only take a hundred Jedi Knights at once while Kenobi can take several hundred at once?

If you think my point of view is ridiculous, then how about bump the thread and counter my arguments, instead of running away and attempting to bait me a few weeks later.

But no, army busting has nothing to do with this. Bane loses because he is not capable of competing with Kenobi's bladework. I guess he could win a Force battle if his Force lightning will prove too painful for Kenobi to endure, but in an all-out fight, it's simply blocked by Kenobi's lightsaber, and Bane then has nothing.

Nephthys
Lightsabers can be overcome with lightning.

And its not worth even dignifying your idiot beliefs about Sidious solo'ing infinite Jedi with a response, fool.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by Nephthys
Lightsabers can be overcome with powerful lightning. Fixed.

Nephthys
Thanks.

Beniboybling
You're welcome, so Bane dies right?

Nephthys
I don't want to spoil the end of the book for you but: It's heavily implied that he doesn't and body-hops his way up the Palpatine. Shh, don't tell anyone.

Oh, but in this thread no he wins.

NewGuy01
If that's the case, Bane has a weaker will than every other Banite Sith too. Because his personality manifested in none of them. smile

Beniboybling
Originally posted by Nephthys
I don't want to spoil the end of the book for you but: It's heavily implied that he doesn't and body-hops his way up the Palpatine. Shh, don't tell anyone.

Oh, but in this thread no he wins. I don't want to burst your bubble but Drew said that wasn't true, and that readers were dumbasses for thinking that, which coming from Drew, is scathing to say the least.

But nah, Kenobi guts him.

Deronn_solo
Canon does that for us already.

Thus, your argument is, as stated in basketball, "self checked".

Nephthys
Sacre Bleu! Say it ain't so!

Bane still wins, but that sure is mighty disheartening. Mighty disheartening indeed. sad

Beniboybling
It is unfortunately, Bane dies - again.

nfactor1995
Oh this is PoD Bane? Kenobi then.

carthage
Originally posted by Emperordmb

Maybe Bane could with a nexus

NewGuy01
Originally posted by Beniboybling
I don't want to burst your bubble but Drew said that wasn't true, and that readers were dumbasses for thinking that, which coming from Drew, is scathing to say the least.

But nah, Kenobi guts him.

Citation?

|King Joker|
Kenobi.

Azronger
Originally posted by Deronn_solo
Canon does that for us already.

Thus, your argument is, as stated in basketball, "self checked".

Elaborate.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.