JLA #13 by Dwayne 'Armbar' Mcduffie...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

pr1983
Ok... tons of spoilers, so don't read it etc...

I'm not the only one who actually read this am I?

First of all, i really liked the cover, Ian Churchill is, imo, one of the best at DC, and i like the contrast with the cover for #1...

Ok... Few things...

Seems Mcduffie is pretty set on John being the GL, as he's on all the preview covers, and during the issue, when they're down a couple of members, they don't call him even though he's technically still a member...

Now, as pissed as I am that he got rid of Hal, there is one very important point that needs to be considered...

Mcduffie is writing the book (obviously), but as the writer, he should be allowed to at least have some input into the team lineup... if he prefers John to Hal, i can't say i like it, but i understand it... after all, if i were in his position, i'd want to write about characters i like...

There were a couple of JLU references, for instance John talking about shaving his head and growing a goatee...

But this, this...

Black Lightning is fit for duty, Kendra isnt... yet john picks her for his team... what. the. hell. They turn away ollie, and THEN they're short-staffed when they need someone to watch the hq... and again it points to the hal thing...

then you see john, reddy and kendra approach the scene... john's ring is scanning the surface, and it picks up nothing... so now killer frost, poison ivy and fatality are immune to one of the most advanced scanners in all of dc?

and its reddy who gets frozen... shouldnt his reflexes be faster than john's?

the fight was meh, but poison ivy taking down john using the contents of his stomach was pretty cool imo...

Then there's the supes, kendra and canary fight against cheetah, grodd and light... so superman just stands there now does he? the most powerful one on the team, and he does sweet f*ck all, when he could easily blitz light, grodd and probably cheetah...

then suddenly parasite appears, yay... superman goes down automatically (having contributed little bar letting vixen leech off of him), and then black lightning (would you look at that) turns up and wins the day etc...

The art... in places, was actually decent, but it was too inconsistent... one panel has black canary looking like a blow up doll, and yet another has a pretty badass stewart kicking fatality's ass...

christ...

It wasnt terrible, but seriously, if wally is comic relief in the next issue, i'll be looking for Armbar's email addy...

shrug

Anyone else?

Soljer
Originally posted by pr1983
***** ***** whine moan ***** whine Originally posted by pr1983
Dwayne 'Armbar' Mcduffie

'Nuff Said.

stick out tongue.

Juntai
Yah, he's going to push the black characters a lot, and it's pretty evident. They're doing most of the talking in the issue, have some of the best moments in the issue, and one of them appears in nearly every panel. He even throws shoutouts to Firestorm, another black character -- who should honestly get more recognition -- one he wrote I might add. I dunno, it doesn't bother me too much as long as the stories stay interesting. I've liked a lot of his work. It's prety much what I expected when I knew he was taking over. Just seemingly writing Hal out was a bad move though, I agree.

roughrider
Originally posted by Juntai
Yah, he's going to push the black characters a lot, and it's pretty evident. They're doing most of the talking in the issue, have some of the best moments in the issue, and one of them appears in nearly every panel. He even throws shoutouts to Firestorm, another black character -- who should honestly get more recognition -- one he wrote I might add. I dunno, it doesn't bother me too much as long as the stories stay interesting. I've liked a lot of his work. It's prety much what I expected when I knew he was taking over. Just seemingly writing Hal out was a bad move though, I agree.

'Armbar' McDuffie stick out tongue is black himself, of course.
There seems to be an unspoken thing among black writers, that black characters don't get enough page time & that white writers don't know how to write them anyway. Will we ever get past this issue? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Mr Majestic
Originally posted by roughrider
'Armbar' McDuffie stick out tongue is black himself, of course.
There seems to be an unspoken thing among black writers, that black characters don't get enough page time & that white writers don't know how to write them anyway. Will we ever get past this issue? roll eyes (sarcastic) Nope.

Its kinda pathetic.

Validus
I didn't like JLA #13. Can't say I'm excited for the rest of this run.

At least I still have JSA. smile

grey fox
Originally posted by Validus

At least I still have JSA. smile

:cry:

I dont. My only site to it hath closed. No JSA for GF sad

Juntai

At least I still have JSA. smile Been better than JLA for a long time anyways.

WrathfulDwarf
Ok... tons of spoilers, so don't read it etc...

I'm not the only one who actually read this am I?

First of all, i really liked the cover, Ian Churchill is, imo, one of the best at DC, and i like the contrast with the cover for #1...

Ok... Few things...

Seems Mcduffie is pretty set on John being the GL, as he's on all the preview covers, and during the issue, when they're down a couple of members, they don't call him even though he's technically still a member...

Now, as pissed as I am that he got rid of Hal, there is one very important point that needs to be considered...

Mcduffie is writing the book (obviously), but as the writer, he should be allowed to at least have some input into the team lineup... if he prefers John to Hal, i can't say i like it, but i understand it... after all, if i were in his position, i'd want to write about characters i like...

There were a couple of JLU references, for instance John talking about shaving his head and growing a goatee...

But this, this...

Black Lightning is fit for duty, Kendra isnt... yet john picks her for his team... what. the. hell. They turn away ollie, and THEN they're short-staffed when they need someone to watch the hq... and again it points to the hal thing...

then you see john, reddy and kendra approach the scene... john's ring is scanning the surface, and it picks up nothing... so now killer frost, poison ivy and fatality are immune to one of the most advanced scanners in all of dc?

and its reddy who gets frozen... shouldnt his reflexes be faster than john's?

the fight was meh, but poison ivy taking down john using the contents of his stomach was pretty cool imo...

Then there's the supes, kendra and canary fight against cheetah, grodd and light... so superman just stands there now does he? the most powerful one on the team, and he does sweet f*ck all, when he could easily blitz light, grodd and probably cheetah...

then suddenly parasite appears, yay... superman goes down automatically (having contributed little bar letting vixen leech off of him), and then black lightning (would you look at that) turns up and wins the day etc...

The art... in places, was actually decent, but it was too inconsistent... one panel has black canary looking like a blow up doll, and yet another has a pretty badass stewart kicking fatality's ass...

christ...

It wasnt terrible, but seriously, if wally is comic relief in the next issue, i'll be looking for Armbar's email addy...

shrug

Anyone else?

Well, it could have been worse. If Black Lightning would have put a choke hold on Superman then this could have been real garbage.

Galan007
Seems Mcduffie is pretty set on John being the GL It would seem he's pretty set on making John look like the black incredible Hulk too:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u43/Galan007/th_john.jpg

A tad much, imo. srsly

Validus
The art is terrible. They expect us to go from Ed Benes to that? sad

Galan007
The art is terrible. They expect us to go from Ed Benes to that? sad I know..

As far as artwork goes, the cover was pretty much the highlight of that issue for me.

Juntai
Should have gotten a static writer-artist combo period.

llagrok
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Well, it could have been worse. If Black Lightning would have put a choke hold on Superman then this could have been real garbage.

If you play Halo on live, add me smile

My Gamertag is llagrok.

wuTa
yea, there was no Flash either, did he just write him out, or is he on vacation w/o notice?

Validus
Originally posted by wuTa
yea, there was no Flash either, did he just write him out, or is he on vacation w/o notice?
They noted in the issue he wasn't answering communications. He'll probably save the day.

HandOfFate
Hmmm...I read the issue and thought it was pretty good.

Sigh...maybe I'm just happy to see action in the JLA.smile

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Galan007
It would seem he's pretty set on making John look like the black incredible Hulk too:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u43/Galan007/th_john.jpg

A tad much, imo. srsly

Well I guess the artist is white no expression

Galan007
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Well I guess the artist is white no expression You are a racist pig. no expression

King_Mungi
....how did Hawkgirl even connect with Shadow Theif?

Endless Mike
Well isn't Hal fighting in the Sinestro Corps war?

Juntai
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Well isn't Hal fighting in the Sinestro Corps war? Yep, and so's John. And every other latern.

pr1983
Originally posted by Soljer
'Nuff Said.

stick out tongue.

stick out tongue

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf

don't be encouraging him!

benes is back next issue though, from what i hear...

Yep, and so's John. And every other latern.

yeah, so thats no reason for hal's absence, as it were...

Tron
Oddly, I saw this thread's title and the first thing to pop in my mind was Chris Jericho...

Avlon
They need Morrison back on this title asap.

Morrison + Benes ftw.

Juntai
Originally posted by Avlon

Morrison + Benes ftw. thumb up

Validus
Originally posted by Tron
Oddly, I saw this thread's title and the first thing to pop in my mind was Chris Jericho...
Chris Jericho, the Man of 1000 Holds?! thumb up

nvrbeenwthagirl
I like McDuffie. The book actually has some fight scenes. Altho They weren't the best, they were better than the bore fest that the first twelve issues were. He also writes the DC villians better than everyone else. Everyone else makes them so lame. They actually seem like threats in his hands. It's good not to have hal and john fighting at the same time. Two green lantern and a flash plus Superman acting competantly is a short comic book indeed. I agree, I do not like the art as much as benes. But's it's still better than half the DC books out there. Have you guys seen sg and losh? That art is a fool> i won't even touch it becuz of it. And he writes Cheetah far better than any wonder Woman writer ever has.

Tron
Chris Jericho, the Man of 1000 Holds?! thumb up

That's 1004 holds my friend. wink

pr1983
Originally posted by Tron

thats cos he's the man...

Originally posted by Avlon

Morrison + Benes ftw.

drool

Originally posted by nvrbeenwthagirl
I like McDuffie. The book actually has some fight scenes. Altho They weren't the best, they were better than the bore fest that the first twelve issues were. He also writes the DC villians better than everyone else. Everyone else makes them so lame. They actually seem like threats in his hands. It's good not to have hal and john fighting at the same time. Two green lantern and a flash plus Superman acting competantly is a short comic book indeed. I agree, I do not like the art as much as benes. But's it's still better than half the DC books out there. Have you guys seen sg and losh? That art is a fool> i won't even touch it becuz of it. And he writes Cheetah far better than any wonder Woman writer ever has.

so that fight with amazo wasnt a fight then? or reddy v grundy? stick out tongue

also, did meltzer know that he was only going to be doing 12 issues, because to me it seemed like he was establishing the new team before heading out into the world etc... Sure it was slow, but it seemed to be getting there...

Martian_mind
Bring in Ostrander to write the stories.Have him there for 20 issues and let him decide the team

Jonny goodness will ensure.

roughrider
I can only dream Giffen & DeMatteis would return, to make the book fun again... sad

tjcoady
rotating Ostrander/Giffen Dematteis/Morrison team. With Benes art.

there. everyone's happy.

but seriously, Mcdfuffie aint' a bad writer at all. He just doesn't really seem to care about power levels and things like that, which is completely fine with me. He's not a brilliant craftsmen who writes those stories that just make you go "whoa" and stop reading comics for a little while because nothing can be as good as that again. But he writes comics that are entertaining, fun to read, and enjoyable. and that's fine with me.

the ONE problem I'm having is that the references and allusions to the television show are just a little too cutsie, and there have just been too many of them. I was kinda hoping he would stay away from that completely, with maybe one little like easter egg reference. something like that. but it's not enough that it detracts all that much from the title.

and you know, having John Stewart on the team makes more sense than Hal. John was one of the last members of the team before it broke up. it just makes sense that he would return.

I'd like to see J'onn back though. and Ollie.

Harry Fingerman
Here's a good question:

How is Duffie still writing comics?
Hell, in the next F4, he does something with Storm, that involves Eternity...

And, I really don't want to see John taking down people he shouldn't be close to, like Spectre.
Except, MM, and WW... that would be cool if he took them down.

Hyperion 07
Has it been any good so far? The series that is.

Validus
I want Geoff Johns on JLA. It seems odd to me that he hasn't written the League with the exception of one story arc right before Infinite Crisis, which was awesome by the way.

TricksterPriest
I'd love to have some ****ing clue as to why the LSH was in the past during 'The Lightning Saga'. Nobody's explained that one yet.

SnazzySmurph
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
I'd love to have some ****ing clue as to why the LSH was in the past during 'The Lightning Saga'. Nobody's explained that one yet. Go, respond to Akuki and me in the Elite Thread.

I'd PM you, but I don wanna.

Validus
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
I'd love to have some ****ing clue as to why the LSH was in the past during 'The Lightning Saga'. Nobody's explained that one yet.
They explained in the story that Braniac sent them back to retrieve someone. They just haven't said who it was.

pr1983
I want Geoff Johns on JLA. It seems odd to me that he hasn't written the League with the exception of one story arc right before Infinite Crisis, which was awesome by the way.

i'd say he would if he wasnt so damn busy...

Soljer
Dr. Strange transfers Eternity's consciousness into Storm's mind and Storm becomes one with the universe. It is stated that only he and Storm have the strength of spirit to survive holding the essense of Eternity. Storm is the one who gets chosen and Eternity's essense is transferred into her body.

Don't you just love McDuffie?

masterbruce
Dr. Strange transfers Eternity's consciousness into Storm's mind and Storm becomes one with the universe. It is stated that only he and Storm have the strength of spirit to survive holding the essense of Eternity. Storm is the one who gets chosen and Eternity's essense is transferred into her body.

Don't you just love McDuffie? well she is one of the most powerful mutants right? Is she an omega?

pr1983

can't we just kill him?

Originally posted by masterbruce
well she is one of the most powerful mutants right? Is she an omega?

no. and no.

Harry Fingerman

Don't you just love McDuffie? Well, at least it's not as bad as I thought...

I thought she beat Eternity...

Still, Duffie's a hack, my opinion hasn't changed, and he's just cuntinuing to write shit. It'd would be worse if he hadn't written that... for him anyway.

And, scans?

roughrider

roll eyes (sarcastic) He wrote that?
Okaayyy, way too much love for the brothers & sisters, Dwayne. You & Reggie Hudlin are going into Writer's Rehab. big grin

Symmetric Chaos

Eh. That's hack writing not necessarily poor writing. Strength of will has been a big thing for Xmen, and Storm, especially forever.

pr1983
Eh. That's hack writing not necessarily poor writing. Strength of will has been a big thing for Xmen, and Storm, especially forever.

its both... messed

Symmetric Chaos
its both... messed

You're just an Eternity fanboi!

Soljer
I'm just going by what Rutog Said?

Maybe she embellished or straight up lied - but it's supposed to be in Fantastic Four 550 tomorrow.

I'll scan then, if no one else has.

SnazzySmurph
Eh. That's hack writing not necessarily poor writing. Strength of will has been a big thing for Xmen, and Storm, especially forever. I haven't read it, but if he's suggesting that Storm's will > all but Strange's, I would probably categorize it as pretty poor writing.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by SnazzySmurph
I haven't read it, but if he's suggesting that Storm's will > all but Strange's, I would probably categorize it as pretty poor writing.

It hasn't come out yet but I assume he's playing up the combination of mutant, magic and will power that Storm has to make her a useful conduit. Best guess is that Strange (or a friend) points out it would be stupid for him to be preoccupied.

pr1983
You're just an Eternity fanboi!

i'm actually an 'x-men decently written' fanboy...

Originally posted by SnazzySmurph
I haven't read it, but if he's suggesting that Storm's will > all but Strange's, I would probably categorize it as pretty poor writing.

if thats what it suggests, then its bullshit...

Harry Fingerman
I'm just going by what Rutog Said?

Maybe she embellished or straight up lied - but it's supposed to be in Fantastic Four 550 tomorrow.

I'll scan then, if no one else has. Rutard's a she?

Soljer
Originally posted by Harry Fingerman
Rutard's a she?

She's not?

Soljer
Okey Doke.

Anyone that wants scans of the bullshit in question, feel free to PM me.

Symmetric Chaos
Okey Doke.

Anyone that wants scans of the bullshit in question, feel free to PM me.

Ended up not really being as bad as all that. Strange was just talking about the people present at the time.

Harry Fingerman
Ended up not really being as bad as all that. Strange was just talking about the people present at the time. Basically.

Plus, Strange did all the work anyway.

jumpmann
I love McDuffie. He throws caution at the wind sometimes and so far his FF run has been nothing but fun and great characterization. I was skeptical about Storm and Black Panther being anywhere near another comic but McDuffie blends them in perfectly.

His JLA run so far seems to be a continuation of Season 5 of JLU but as a filler arc I accept it and it's pretty fun.

endrict

And that's why I am so out of the loop with story lines...I will buy the comics for Ed's art and skip the rest.

Validus
http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/Oct07/previews/JLA_14.html

JLA #14 preview. Benes is back.

I lol'd @ that 2 page spread of WW though. laughing out loud

pr1983

hot damn... drool

looks like superman wants to rip luthor's head off...

benes = the king...

though i say those inks are still to heavy... mariah benes is the best for ed's art...

tjcoady
you know what I like? That McDuffie seems to just hate Geo-Force. Having him beaten off panel, and then having the Shaggy Man just beat up on him when he's defenseless... anyone who hates Geo-Force is fine in my book.

Draco69

Sweet Jesus.

Benes sure loves the cheesecake.

laughing out loud

Symmetric Chaos

Nice.

And ShaggyMan is shaggy again!

HandOfFate
Originally posted by tjcoady
you know what I like? That McDuffie seems to just hate Geo-Force. Having him beaten off panel, and then having the Shaggy Man just beat up on him when he's defenseless... anyone who hates Geo-Force is fine in my book.

LOL, I like Geo-Force but that's funny.

McDuffie making fans one step at a time.smile

2damnloud
laughing out loud the only reason for there being premier Black characters in books is because of some sort of "reverse racism" bka "affirmative action".

laughing out loud@ people not realizing that this particular line reasoning is racist in and of itself.

sad.

tjcoady
Personally, I'm just hoping for a drop of Vixen, who I've never really liked... mostly because she's just a not as good Animal Man, and Buddy's my favorite character in the DCU. I doubt they'd put Buddy on the JLA, but it would be nice to see J'onn back. What is he doing right now, anyways?

Soljer
Originally posted by 2damnloud
laughing out loud the only reason for there being premier Black characters in books is because of some sort of "reverse racism" bka "affirmative action".

laughing out loud@ people not realizing that this particular line reasoning is racist in and of itself.

sad.

False.

doped.

Martian_mind
the JLA, but it would be nice to see J'onn back. What is he doing right now, anyways?

He's pat of the Outsiders.

HandOfFate
Personally, I'm just hoping for a drop of Vixen, who I've never really liked... mostly because she's just a not as good Animal Man, and Buddy's my favorite character in the DCU. I doubt they'd put Buddy on the JLA, but it would be nice to see J'onn back. What is he doing right now, anyways?

Vixen great, she adds a lot of power to the team. Also, how are you a Animal Man fan and not reading about him in Countdown?

tjcoady
Originally posted by HandOfFate
Vixen great, she adds a lot of power to the team. Also, how are you a Animal Man fan and not reading about him in Countdown?

you mean in Countdown to Adventure? I haven't seen him appear in regular countdown yet.

mostly because the first issue of Countdown to Adventure was just terrible... I'm going to keep picking it up, just because my fanboyism for Animal Man is that huge, and hopefully it'll improve. I did enjoy the space heroes part in 52, so I'm not going to say there is no way for it to get better.

and I forgot J'onn was on the Outsiders. I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed the first issue of the full team together.... they've got some good characters together for it.

it's funny that there are now SEVEN monthly (or supposed to be monthly) books that feature Batman as a/the lead:
Supes/Bats
Batman Classified
JLA
Outsiders
ASBAR
'Tec
Batman

...and people complain about Wolverine....

Validus
I really don't think you can call All Star Bats a monthly. stick out tongue

roughrider

All Star Batman a monthly...hystericalhystericalhysterical

tjcoady

you gots a point.... but replace it with JLA classified, and then you got like seven and a half monthly books.

pr1983
Anyone read 14? it seemed to be a case that every time it took one step forward, it would take five steps back...

gorgeous art at times though...

Harry Fingerman
Spoil it for me.

King_Mungi
I didn't mind it, but basically was Lex talking through a hologram trying to rattle SUperman and admits he wants him to get angry. The villians begin pounding on Geo-Force to show SUperman via a monitor to really get his gear going even a new Shaggy Man gets a few shots in and GF is nearly killed by Grood. Anyways, Superman tracks down the base which is the old Unjustice base the same from the Super Friends and immediately takes Parasite out of the equation while Black Lightening takes on villians to basically distract them. In the end Dr.Light takes down Superman as "isn't as fast as light" so the villians pound on him ending with Luthor grabbing him and holding a kyrptonite shard. The end

Doctor-Alvis
Doctor Light has some ****ing moxie.

Rorschach
Originally posted by King_Mungi
I didn't mind it, but basically was Lex talking through a hologram trying to rattle SUperman and admits he wants him to get angry. The villians begin pounding on Geo-Force to show SUperman via a monitor to really get his gear going even a new Shaggy Man gets a few shots in and GF is nearly killed by Grood. Anyways, Superman tracks down the base which is the old Unjustice base the same from the Super Friends and immediately takes Parasite out of the equation while Black Lightening takes on villians to basically distract them. In the end Dr.Light takes down Superman as "isn't as fast as light" so the villians pound on him ending with Luthor grabbing him and holding a kyrptonite shard. The end

I have a feeling that some people are going to take that out of context to try and prove that Superman isn't FTL. whistle

Estacado
The new Shaggy Man looks pretty screwed up.......

Soljer
Originally posted by Rorschach
I have a feeling that some people are going to take that out of context to try and prove that Superman isn't FTL. whistle

Buh eh iznt!@ De bios sez so!

Validus
Carver9 already has the scan saved.

HueyFreeman
I thought issue 14 was kinda stupid. So Lex's idea of beating Superman is to make him angry so he won't think because of rage? Okay so an angry non controllable, non holding back Superman is what you want. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Soljer
Originally posted by HueyFreeman
I thought issue 14 was kinda stupid. So Lex's idea of beating Superman is to make him angry so he won't think because of rage? Okay so an angry non controllable, non holding back Superman is what you want. roll eyes (sarcastic)

It worked. Kinda.

After all, the issue DID end with lex holding a shard of kryptonite to Superman's neck.

Validus
It was still stupid.

Estacado
Don't forget about the new Shaggy Man who is smaller then Grodd....haermm

King_Mungi
Yeah that irked me

Harry Fingerman
Carver9 already has the scan saved. Now he does...
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=467430&pagenumber=2

evil face

Validus
Originally posted by carver9
I love you. laughing

Thanks a lot. Im saving this.
Oh God.

Deathstroke
It didn't bother me as much that Light tagged him as it did that Light dropped him with one shot. Dr. L is powerful and all but one shot?

Validus
Originally posted by Deathstroke
It didn't bother me as much that Light tagged him as it did that Light dropped him with one shot. Dr. L is powerful and all but one shot?
Meh

Lucky it wasn't a headlock.

Symmetric Chaos

Just knocked him out of the sky. It took all of them to KO him.

Deathstroke
Just knocked him out of the sky. It took all of them to KO him.
I suppose.

Rorschach
Now he does...

evil face

sad

batdude123
Now he does...

evil face

I don't care if this contradicts other showings, I'm just gonna flash these every time someone makes a Thor thread and say 'all it takes to pwn Thor is a normal Joe with a handgun.'

http://img412.imageshack.us/my.php?image=blackpanther08p11cl0.jpg
http://img412.imageshack.us/my.php?image=blackpanther08p12ig1.jpg

That's essentially how carver9 debates.

Validus
Originally posted by batdude123
I don't care if this contradicts other showings, I'm just gonna flash these every time someone makes a Thor thread and say 'all it takes to pwn Thor is a normal Joe with a handgun.'

That's essentially how carver9 debates.
Proof that any flying brick can beat Thor by flying at him with a pointed finger.

batdude123
Proof that any flying brick can beat Thor by flying at him with a pointed finger.

Does that include Namor?

Harry Fingerman
Originally posted by batdude123

That's essentially how carver9 debates. Actually, it wasn't even the fact that it was a bullet; it was the impact of the bullet that KO'ed Thor... all the bullet did (that a punch couldn't do, really) was break his skin.
Which is 100X worse... no expression
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o106/bigbran1/BlackPanther08p21.jpg

batdude123
Actually, it wasn't even the fact that it was a bullet; it was the impact of the bullet that KO'ed Thor... all the bullet did (that a punch couldn't do, really) was break his skin.
Which is 100X worse... no expression
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o106/bigbran1/BlackPanther08p21.jpg

Ouch...

Now my statement is even more justified. ermmhappy

pr1983
Pretty much agree, damn mcduffie... i really, really want to write him an email now...

nice art in places tho...

Harry Fingerman
Pretty much agree, damn mcduffie... i really, really want to write him an email now...

nice art in places tho... He does have his own board. Just go on there and b*tch... I thought about doing it a couple times...
Especially when Ru was throwing out hints about the last F4 comic.

Grimm22
Honestly, I like having John in the league over Hal erm

Now before everybody yells at me hear me out.

Hal has his own solo book, so it's not like we aren't seeing anything from him right now.

Aside from that I don't think Hal really fits with this leauge line-up. If it were Ollie rather than Roy and Barry rather than Wally, I would have said he would definitely fit in better, but as it is, it just doesn't seem like it would work as well.

That and McDuffie is probobly the only writer (aside from Johns) to write John correctly. He was the one who gave him some actual depth and personality in JLU, and overall I think he writes John better than the other JL's.

Validus
How does John fit in better with Roy and Wally than Hal? That argument would work for Kyle but not John.

Grimm22
How does John fit in better with Roy and Wally than Hal? That argument would work for Kyle but not John.

I was thinking about that as I was typing.

Ok, so you got me there, but my main point is that McDuffie writes a good John so i'm not complaining stick out tongue

Validus
I don't disagree. Personally I wouldn't want McDuffie writing Kyle Rayner anyway.

Grimm22
I don't disagree. Personally I wouldn't want McDuffie writing Kyle Rayner anyway.

Agreed yes

Kyle's being put through enough with having to co-star in Crapdown

Validus
Don't remind me. herbcry

Raoul
He does have his own board. Just go on there and b*tch... I thought about doing it a couple times...
Especially when Ru was throwing out hints about the last F4 comic.

mhmm

Anyone read #22? Mcduffie wasnt his usual crappy self (well, not completely), and benes finally got the finger out and produced some nice art:

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/3438/jla220056hs3.th.jpg

anyone notice how john was missing (might be tangent related), and hal was present?

also, tourney wise, yeah, be glad i didn't keep competing... haermm2

Deathstroke
I liked it. I've become a fan of Red Tornado over the course of this volume of JLA. The new costume was pretty tight as well.

The Boss
Zatanna is in the League now?

Raoul
I liked it. I've become a fan of Red Tornado over the course of this volume of JLA. The new costume was pretty tight as well.

aye...

Originally posted by The Boss
Zatanna is in the League now?

nah, they just needed her to move reddy's soul from the computer to his new body...

starlock
I am on the fence with the new issue, i mean the comic was so predictable, i knew everything that was going to happen as soon as i opened it, i dont know maybe it was better than most previous issues, but i found the whole premise boring a basicly a repeat scenario that felt like it has been used time and time again....i liked the art though

Rorschach
JLA has sucked ever since Metzler left. And Bene's art has been going downhill since issue 15.

Juntai
JLA has sucked ever since Metzler left. And Bene's art has been going downhill since issue 15. I don't think it's been terrible, the new writer had to get a feel and start setting up stuff how he wanted it to go for the long haul.

Bene's art is great, compared to lots of other books out there, and he's pretty much always on time, which is a plus.

However, as I said back at the beginning of the thread a long time ago, JSA is the best teambook anyways.

Raoul
benes has been going downhill, he's my favourite artist, and has been for a while, but i do think he really got back to some decent form with the lastest issue...

Originally posted by starlock
I am on the fence with the new issue, i mean the comic was so predictable, i knew everything that was going to happen as soon as i opened it, i dont know maybe it was better than most previous issues, but i found the whole premise boring a basicly a repeat scenario that felt like it has been used time and time again....i liked the art though

i know, i felt the same...

starlock
I don't think it's been terrible, the new writer had to get a feel and start setting up stuff how he wanted it to go for the long haul.

Bene's art is great, compared to lots of other books out there, and he's pretty much always on time, which is a plus.

However, as I said back at the beginning of the thread a long time ago, JSA is the best teambook anyways.

Without a doubt i agree, i have never been disapointed in JSA thumb up

Juntai
Without a doubt i agree, i have never been disapointed in JSA thumb up Did you read the previous series too, or are you relatively new to the JSA stories?

Raoul
I don't think it's been terrible, the new writer had to get a feel and start setting up stuff how he wanted it to go for the long haul.

jsa is great, but i dunno, i always feel like there's something missing from the book... it might be that the cast has grown so large, or maybe not, i dunno...

llagrok
Originally posted by Raoul
aye...

nah, they just needed her to move reddy's soul from the computer to his new body...

Is it just me, or does Z have to do ALL the dirty work? big grin

Raoul
Originally posted by llagrok
Is it just me, or does Z have to do ALL the dirty work? big grin

any excuse for benes to draw her is fine with me...

also, i wonder if digi wants to rename this, we could use it as the jla thread...

starlock
Did you read the previous series too, or are you relatively new to the JSA stories?

I was always a fan, but never a die hard reader...so i guess you could say i am new since i did not follow the previous series comic for comic, when i was much younger my brother was so into the characters i had no choice but to learn about them, over the years it never caught me and held my attention as it does now smile

Raoul
I was always a fan, but never a die hard reader...so i guess you could say i am new since i did not follow the previous series comic for comic, when i was much younger my brother was so into the characters i had no choice but to learn about them, over the years it never caught me and held my attention as it does now smile

you should give the older series' a look if you can, there's some really good stuff, even recently with the atom smasher/black adam arc...

Juntai
you should give the older series' a look if you can, there's some really good stuff, even recently with the atom smasher/black adam arc... cosign. The previous 87 issues before the restart were pretty much golden from the very first issue forward.

And Starlock, did you finally read the third Animal Man trade?

Rorschach

JSA is awesome.

Benes has begun to suck. biscuits

starlock
cosign. The previous 87 issues before the restart were pretty much golden from the very first issue forward.

And Starlock, did you finally read the third Animal Man trade?

87 issues?, i think i might have a quarter of them

Your damn right i read it, all three and i loved it, my hats off to you(i get confused lol) for the recommendation thumb up

I was just talking to someone about where animal man is appearing now, i think they said he will be in a final crisis tie in?

I will say i would never have given animal man a look see, if not for you and this site,has anyone else ever treated animal man with close to or better characterization and story elements, i really liked the whole family and even the off beat way some of the stories were portrayed

Juntai
87 issues?, i think i might have a quarter of them

Your damn right i read it, all three and i loved it, my hats off to you(i get confused lol) for the recommendation thumb up

I was just talking to someone about where animal man is appearing now, i think they said he will be in a final crisis tie in?

I will say i would never have given animal man a look see, if not for you and this site,has anyone else ever treated animal man with close to or better characterization and story elements, i really liked the whole family and even the off beat way some of the stories were portrayed He was one of the ones in 52, a mini series Countdown to Adventure after 52, and now the rann/thannagar Holy War.

Juntai
I'm thinking with his powers messing up, and same with Vixens in jla, maybe we'll see the aliens again soon?
I believe they appeared in 52 briefly, if memory serves right.

starlock
He was one of the ones in 52, a mini series Countdown to Adventure after 52, and now the rann/thannagar Holy War.

Rann/Thannagar holy war...that was the one i was told he is in recently, i definetly will check it out wink

WrathfulDwarf
I like RTHW since The Omega Men are in it.

The Boss

I see.

*continues ignoring JLA*

Raoul
afaik, grant morrison wrote a fantastic animal man...

Juntai
afaik, grant morrison wrote a fantastic animal man... That's what I recommended he read, and he did. smile

starlock
That's what I recommended he read, and he did. smile

And i loved it, cant thank you enough thumb up

Raoul
That's what I recommended he read, and he did. smile

oh... embarrasment

Raoul
Ok, according to several sites (including his own), Dwayne McDuffie was fired from JLA because of a column written on CBR. Apparently he'd given out information from writers meetings, or something.

So yes, McDuffie is OFF JLA.

*takes a moment to praise whatever god is up there*

Also, rumours are flying around that none other than Geoff Johns and Jim Lee will be taking over later in the year. Dunno how i feel about that. Johns might make the JLA the same lineup from the silver age...

willRules
Ok, according to several sites (including his own), Dwayne McDuffie was fired from JLA because of a column written on CBR. Apparently he'd given out information from writers meetings, or something.

So yes, McDuffie is OFF JLA.

*takes a moment to praise whatever god is up there*

Well I've been having lots of words with that "whatever God is up there" and he says it wasn't his doing. McDuffie got himself fired.

Also, rumours are flying around that none other than Geoff Johns and Jim Lee will be taking over later in the year. Dunno how i feel about that. Johns might make the JLA the same lineup from the silver age...

Now, if true, this much more likely to be the work of God. Although with Jim Lee's delays, God may be the only one around to read the comic.

Al the Killer

Also, rumours are flying around that none other than Geoff Johns and Jim Lee will be taking over later in the year.
So JLA will be a biannual title now?

Raoul
Originally posted by willRules
Well I've been having lots of words with that "whatever God is up there" and he says it wasn't his doing. McDuffie got himself fired.

Now, if true, this much more likely to be the work of God. Although with Jim Lee's delays, God may be the only one around to read the comic.

whoever published that article on CBR deserves worship, so... stick out tongue

Originally posted by Al the Killer
So JLA will be a biannual title now?

yup. and john stewart won't get a look in...

tjcoady
I'm thinking with his powers messing up, and same with Vixens in jla, maybe we'll see the aliens again soon?
I believe they appeared in 52 briefly, if memory serves right.

Yeah. Buddy figures out how to warp through "B-space, where the Sun-Eaters use gravitons to something, something, something GRANT MORRISON!" and talks to the aliens. They show him a glimpse of the future, Buddy freaks out, and then leaves.

tjcoady
So, what, Len Wein is gonna be doing some JLA writing?

He's super old school, but I dig that style. Maybe it's what JLA needs just for a "refresher" until they get a new permanent writer.

Juntai
Originally posted by Al the Killer
So JLA will be a biannual title now? lmfao.

Raoul
So, what, Len Wein is gonna be doing some JLA writing?

He's super old school, but I dig that style. Maybe it's what JLA needs just for a "refresher" until they get a new permanent writer.

Len Wein is in charge for the forseeable future, from what i've heard...

Philosophía
http://comiccritics.com/2009/06/16/the-sad-strange-tale-of-dwayne-mcduffie/

Though for the most part I dislike Mcduffie's writing, that's pretty sad (and sort of funny at the same time).

Raoul

Philosophía
James Robinson and Mark Bagley are the next team to tackle the JLA.

I can't say I'm dissapointed or excited. It's more of a wait and see for me..

willRules
Well Bagley's awesome yes Robinson, I've read very little of......

Raoul

Juntai
yeah, i know what you mean.

robinson has a good reputation, but his recent work on superman has been less than impressive, imo. Eh, his stuff is really good, but he's better at characters and character interaction, rather than just action. He doesn't write the 'summer blockbuster movie' style of comics a lot of people have gotten used to in recent years.

Raoul
Eh, his stuff is really good, but he's better at characters and character interaction, rather than just action. He doesn't write the 'summer blockbuster movie' style of comics a lot of people have gotten used to in recent years.

it's his character interaction and dialogue that i don't like. stick out tongue

Philosophía
it's his character interaction and dialogue that i don't like. stick out tongue

His Superman stuff has been one of the worst I've ever seen.. especially in the Atlas storyline.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>