Best Swordfighter

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

superkronick92
Who do you think is the best swordfighter in all of anime?

Violent2Dope
Hawk Eyed Mihawk.

ensatsu-ken
Wait, is this about who is the strongest sword figher in all of anime, the most skilled sword fighter, ot is just for people to list their favorite sword fighters? Because, Future Trunks from DBZ could technically be counted as a sword fighter (even though its more like he's just a guy who has a sword), and he would probably one of the strongest, if not the strongest, sword fighter in anime, if we are simply just looking for the strongest one. In terms of skill, it would be a different story, because it would be a measure of how well one can use the sword (in which case most Bleach character would be elimiated, IMO, since most of them rely more on spirit energy, rather than actual skills with a sword). Rurouni Kenshin has some of the best sword fighters in anime, in terms of pure skill, and it also has some of my most favorite sword fighters in manga/anime cool .

superkronick92
The most skilled

chickenlover98
rurouni kenshin IMO. although urahara has some skills. not all their attacks are spirit force. ofcourse they defeat anyone without it but when fighting someone who matches their spirit force skill comes into play

ensatsu-ken
Originally posted by superkronick92
The most skilled

Well, in that case, I would have to go with Hiko Seijiro from Rurouni Kenshin. He is without a doubt, both the strongest, and most skilled, swordsman in all of Rurouni Kenshin. And, he has the most skill out of any swordsman that I have seen in any manga or anime so far. Guts from Berserk seems like he may be a good candidate for that title as well, but unfortunately, I have only read the 1st volume of the Berserk manga, so I hardly know what he is capable of, but I see a lot of potential in his skills and abilities. From what I have seen of Hawk Eyes Mihawk so far in One Piece (and don't critisize me or anything, because I have only seen the first 81 episodes of One Piece so far; so, I won't know what stuff he may show later), he has only really relied on the power of his Devil's Fruit, so I cannot properly judge his actual skills yet. Zoro seems to have some pretty good skills, but he doesn't seem to have any sword techniques as skilled as those of some of the RK characters (also, this is only from what I have seen of him so far). Although, he is much stronger than any RK character, just based on his pure physical strength. Anyways, that's my opinion on the best sword fighter in manga/anime, and it stands firm for right now, until I see a sword fighter with more skill than Hiko cool .

Violent2Dope
Mihawk has a Devil's Fruit? I think Kenpachi from Bleach is a good choice, he uses a style with strong, fast, and effective slashes and stabs, and is one of the best swordsman in Bleach.

Akuki
Caerula Sanguis is the most skilled by a long shot.

Kero_Co
Don't forget Afro,Kambei,Kyuzo,Jin,and Kariya Kagetoki as they should all be mentioned.Mugen is skilled but his battles seem to be won more so through his stamina. At the moment I can't say who's the most skilled, I have yet to see Samurai Deeper Kyo or Peacemaker Kurogane.

leonheartmm
kenshin for skill.

chickenlover98
kenshin again. he just has so much skill, he was the best samurai in japan.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Originally posted by chickenlover98
rurouni kenshin IMO. although urahara has some skills. not all their attacks are spirit force. ofcourse they defeat anyone without it but when fighting someone who matches their spirit force skill comes into play

Kenshin's the best

Black Adam
Originally posted by Violent2Dope
Mihawk has a Devil's Fruit?

No.

Violent2Dope
I didn't think he did. Samurai Jack is a contender also.

ensatsu-ken
Originally posted by Black Adam
No.

I thought they mentioned that he possessed the power of the Devil's Fruit, in episode 24 of One Piece. Either way, I don't really know much about him, since I'm only on episode 81 of One Piece.

ensatsu-ken
kenshin again. he just has so much skill, he was the best samurai in japan.

It is commonly believed by most Rurouni Kenshin fans, that Hiko was the strongest and most skilled swordsman in all of Japan, even above Kenshin. If you read the end of the manga, the reason for thinking that should be made clear, as to why he is the ultimate master of the Hiten Mitsurugi style.

Violent2Dope
Shishio>Kenshin in swordskill.

Also, Mihawk does not have a Devil Fruit, it is pure skill.

Samurai Jack swordfights gods dudes, and he is a mortal man with just a suped up sword.

Blax_Hydralisk
Indeed. Jack is pretty much at the top of sword fighters as far as mortals are concerned. The people in Bleach don't "sword fight", they take there swords and make one or two heavy strikes, then stop and laugh then use a power. Naruto pretty much doesn't use any swords either, so it'd come down to Kenshin and Jack.. and it's already been decided that Jack would win.

Darth Macabre
Shishio Makoto...easily.

Quincy
Afro Samurai FTW

Endless Mike
IMO the Skull Knight from Berserk

ensatsu-ken
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
Indeed. Jack is pretty much at the top of sword fighters as far as mortals are concerned. The people in Bleach don't "sword fight", they take there swords and make one or two heavy strikes, then stop and laugh then use a power. Naruto pretty much doesn't use any swords either, so it'd come down to Kenshin and Jack.. and it's already been decided that Jack would win.

Yeah, but in terms of actual skill, I would have to place Kenshin above Jack. Kenshin mostly uses actual techniques, whereas Jack just has a really powerful sword, and when he fights, it seems more like he is just swinging his sword around wildly at enemies. Also, Kenshin is not the most skilled sword fighter in his series. If you have read the previous post, it is clear that he is a little bit below the skill levels of Shishio and Hiko.

Tallis
If its based purely on skills as a swordsman, without and of the flashy stuff, It'd be a tie between Kenshin or Musashi from Dangu.

If its all around most powerful swordsman, than it'd have to be one of the Gold Saints, or someone from Bastard!

Gregory
I would say that even in the context of Rurouni Kenshin, Hiko, Shishio, and Soujiro could be convincingly argued to be better fighters than Kenshin.

In all anime, I'd say Kyo from Samurai Deeper Kyo; but it's sort of an unfair contest, because whereas Rurouni Kenshin tries to pretend to not be overtly supernatural ("He doesn't have a magical tracking sword! It's uh ... magnets." "He can't double jump in mid-air, he ... uh ... pushes off of his sword!"wink, Samurai Deeper Kyo makes no such pretenses.

Violent2Dope
Originally posted by ensatsu-ken
Yeah, but in terms of actual skill, I would have to place Kenshin above Jack. Kenshin mostly uses actual techniques, whereas Jack just has a really powerful sword, and when he fights, it seems more like he is just swinging his sword around wildly at enemies. Also, Kenshin is not the most skilled sword fighter in his series. If you have read the previous post, it is clear that he is a little bit below the skill levels of Shishio and Hiko. Are you looney? Jack's whole childhood was based on learning to fight so he could face Aku, who is a god! He with a sword defeats armies, despite being in a futuristic timeline with guns, lasers, and shit.

Blax_Hydralisk
Mos def. That's just the way the illustrator draws. The guy who drew up Samurai Jack also did the drawing for the Star Wars: CLone Wars cartoon series, and Oni-Wan, Anakin, and all the other Jedi fought the same way Jack does, even though it's a proven fact that Jedi don't fight using just horizontal and vertical strikes.

ensatsu-ken
Are you looney? Jack's whole childhood was based on learning to fight so he could face Aku, who is a god! He with a sword defeats armies, despite being in a futuristic timeline with guns, lasers, and shit.

You also forgot to mention that he has a sword which can cut through almost anything stick out tongue . He was trained during all of his childhood, but if you watch him actually fight, he hardly shows any technique in his fighting. Besides, I don't really consider Samurai Jack to be an anime (in the western context of the word), because it is a cartoon that was originally aired in America, and dubbed in English. To me, anime is animation produced in Easter Asia "for a general Japanese audience, as the primary target of the show" (since there are plenty of USAnimated shows that have been animated in places like Korea, and China). In those respects, Jack wouldn't even count in this thread, because the forum which this topic is in, is specifically for "manga and anime" wink .

ensatsu-ken
Mos def. That's just the way the illustrator draws. The guy who drew up Samurai Jack also did the drawing for the Star Wars: CLone Wars cartoon series, and Oni-Wan, Anakin, and all the other Jedi fought the same way Jack does, even though it's a proven fact that Jedi don't fight using just horizontal and vertical strikes.

The Jedi have a cool style of sword fighting with their lightsabers, but they also don't use any specific technique, and in a sense, just swing their swords around wildly and ferociously (especially in the Star Wars games Movies; and I have seen most of the Clone Wars cartoon as well, and its not really what I would call technique). Just because Kenshin isn't as strong as Jack or any Jedi, does not mean that he loses to them in terms of skill, which he actually shows that he has more of, through his various techniques, that aren't just simply swinging a sword around.

Violent2Dope
You also forgot to mention that he has a sword which can cut through almost anything stick out tongue . He was trained during all of his childhood, but if you watch him actually fight, he hardly shows any technique in his fighting. Besides, I don't really consider Samurai Jack to be an anime (in the western context of the word), because it is a cartoon that was originally aired in America, and dubbed in English. To me, anime is animation produced in Easter Asia "for a general Japanese audience, as the primary target of the show" (since there are plenty of USAnimated shows that have been animated in places like Korea, and China). In those respects, Jack wouldn't even count in this thread, because the forum which this topic is in, is specifically for "manga and anime" wink . Really? What about his prolonged swordfight against that guardian of the time thingy(You know, that big blue guy) who was stronger, faster, and more skilled than Jack, yet Jack still stood his ground against him, and even tho he lost, the guardian was so impressed by his skill he let him live on to fight him another day. If Jack really just swung his sword around wildly, I COULD KILL HIM, and a god like Aku certainly would. You are assuming Kenshin has more technique only because he actually has names for specific attacks, guess what buddy? That is not the way real swordsmanship works, you do not yell out HITEN MITSURUGI STYLE: BLAHBLAH! That is not skill, in fact it is just stupid. Also, I cannot believe you just claimed SW characters have poor swordskills, they would kill Kenshin in a swordfight. Jedi and Sith actually have 7 different forms of saber combat. Just because Kenshin has names for his moves(which are simple moves for the most part) does not make him more skilled with a sword.

Akuki
I'm sorry, but when it comes to sword skill Kenshin gets stomped by Caerula Sanguis. She only has slightly enhanced strength,and a very perceptive eye ability, but her main ability is simple pure combat skill. She's over 800 years old, knows every single martial arts style, and says that she in fact founded several of them. She's deflects bullets with ease, and her style primarily focuses around forcing her opponent into a preset trap, and is described as manipulating martial artists who make just about any comic book martial artist look weak like puppets on a string.

Violent2Dope
I still say Samurai Jack. Mortal men kicking god's asses, that takes unfathomable skills.

Akuki
I still say Samurai Jack. Mortal men kicking god's asses, that takes unfathomable skills.
if we count him then yes i would agree, however I'm sticking with Caerula as best manga/anime swordfighter.

chickenlover98
jack dont count as anime, its cartoony.

Blax_Hydralisk
Guess what anime is.

Kazenji
Afro Samurai or Miyamoto Musashi (hey he does appear in manga)

Guess what anime is.

Yea and where are we on the forum Anime/Manga so basically stuff from japan and Samurai Jack an't that.

Blax_Hydralisk
Eh, true enough. We don't really have a "cartoon" section, though, So I just throw him in here erm

And I forgot about Afro. Yeah he''s one of the best,

WHITEBEARD
Hiko Serjurro

Saito.................................

Rurouni Kenshinverse Nuff said

Violent2Dope
Kenshin characters swordskills are massively overrated simply because of the fact it's a samurai anime and they all have specific techniques and shit.

Blax_Hydralisk
99% of Anime swordfighters don't use real sword fighting techniques no expression

WHITEBEARD
Kenshin characters swordskills are massively overrated simply because of the fact it's a samurai anime and they all have specific techniques and shit.

laughing

ensatsu-ken
Really? What about his prolonged swordfight against that guardian of the time thingy(You know, that big blue guy) who was stronger, faster, and more skilled than Jack, yet Jack still stood his ground against him, and even tho he lost, the guardian was so impressed by his skill he let him live on to fight him another day. If Jack really just swung his sword around wildly, I COULD KILL HIM, and a god like Aku certainly would. You are assuming Kenshin has more technique only because he actually has names for specific attacks, guess what buddy? That is not the way real swordsmanship works, you do not yell out HITEN MITSURUGI STYLE: BLAHBLAH! That is not skill, in fact it is just stupid. Also, I cannot believe you just claimed SW characters have poor swordskills, they would kill Kenshin in a swordfight. Jedi and Sith actually have 7 different forms of saber combat. Just because Kenshin has names for his moves(which are simple moves for the most part) does not make him more skilled with a sword.

Dude, you just totally distorted everything I said. I NEVER said that Samurai Jack or SW characters have "poor" sword-skills, and I NEVER said that Kenshin was more skilled because he had names for his attacks. You are calling his moves simple, when Samurai Jack and SW characters mostly use random sword slashes? Listen, I have seen both, and they are not unskilled, but they have no definite form of combat. They each have their own style of fighting, and they could all crush Kenshin, but you are taking them as being stronger, and also associating it with them being more skilled, however when it comes to actual technique, Kenshin't aren't as simple as you claim. It took him years to master one of the strongest forms of swordsmanship in the RK Universe. Also, I know perfectly well that RK is hardly real swordsmanship; but are you implying that Samurai Jack is any more real? In terms of realism, the SW characters have more realistic movements and abilties in their skills than most other series, however we are still talking about hte most skilled here, even if it is unrealisitically skilled. Now, I have not seen that many anime, but I have seen the 3 series which we are talking about here, and the characters of Samurai Jack and SW have lots of abilities that defy the laws of phsycis by a long shot. RK characters have that as well, but they are not nearly as strong or powerful as the fanciful creatures and swordsman of even more unrealistic series.

If you think that Kenshin's techniques are nothing more than random sword slashes with names to them, and that anyone with some strength can do, then you are seriously underestimating RK characters as a whole. Of course, I'm sure that there are more skilled swordsman in other anime series, however I have yet to see any of those series and characters, if there are. My point is that strength/power and skill, are 2 COMPLETELY different things. The RK characters may have rediculously long or silly names to their attacks, but that is not the reason for why I say that they have skill. For example, can you call hitting a person in 9 specific pressure points of the body, faster than what can be seen by the human eye, a simple feat? Seeing as how Kenshin, as well as other RK characters, have no access to supernatural items and abilities, such as Samurai Jack and SW characters do, yet being able to pull off some unbelievable feats (for RK characters anyways), with pure skills, is what makes me call Hiko, from RK, one of the most skilled swordsman in anime. Also, I hope that you have read most or all of the manga, and have not just based your opinion off of what you have seen in the anime alone.

ensatsu-ken

The same could be said for Samurai Jack, as well as stuff like Bleach and Inu-Yasha, simply because the characters are capable of feats that no human swordsman could hope to be capable of, due to having supernatural abilties and/or items. The RK characters actaully user their techniques in strategic ways, and there is a step by step basis to each, and they are actaully explained, in how they work (which you forgot to include), whereas nearly everything which you have been mentioning about Samurai Jack and Star Wars, has more to do with their items abilities, rather than their actual skills. I also doubt that a lightsaber from SW, is weilded the same way as a katana. I remember that in the KOTOR games, katana-like weapons were handled in a way that pales in comparison to RK (based on the combat animation). It was in fact, just a series of repeated swings, in a pattern stick out tongue . Although, on a side note, that does not mean that I have anything against KOTOR (both games together, are in fact in my top 10 list of my favorite games/game franchises wink ).

Violent2Dope
I have read alot of the RK manga, but saying Jack, a person who swordfights with gods, just uses random wild swordslashes, is ludicrous. SW characters as I said have 7 different forms of saber combat as I said, and those forms HAVE been thoroughly explained, such as the Makashi style used by Count Dooku, which uses elegance, counters, and short cuts and stabs, and is a great saber to saber style, or Soresu, which in short is the ultimate defensive style. RK characters focus more on specific attacks in a fight than real sword fighting oftentimes, the best example I can think of Kenshin doing actual swordfighting with an opponent over an extended period of time would be when he fought Kurogasa. Tho I may have forgotten alot of things, since it has been quite awhile since I have read/watched Kenshin(God that opening theme still haunts me). Jack defeats 20 guys in a bar unscathed using machine guns, with just his sword, and he does not rely on the power of the sword to dodge those bullets. I also find Mihawk to be very skilled as well, with a dinky ass necklace knife, he easily defeated Zoro, who is a powerful swordsman that uses 3 swords. And no, he does not have a Devil Fruit.

Allankles
Pure skills from what I've seen I'd have to go with Jin, Mugen, and the many swordsmen of Samurai Champloo. Jack is a good candidate as well.

Kenshin isn't nearly as skilled (in the pure sense of the word). His movements and "skills" seem to be more supernatural than skillful. Sure he has a lot of names for his moves but they are simple attacks made effective by his speed.

I've never seen anything form Kenshin to suggest he has the pure skill of a Jin or Mugen - and you've got to blame the animators for that.

The Jedi in the Clone Wars have elegant, precise attacks, they're not just random horizontal strikes. If anything Kenshin is lacking in elegance and precision when compared to the Clone Wars Jedi.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aCuHbLYMblQ&mode=related& amp;search=Star%20wars%20clone%20Dj%20Dom%20Stay%2
0With%20Me

ensatsu-ken
I have read alot of the RK manga, but saying Jack, a person who swordfights with gods, just uses random wild swordslashes, is ludicrous. SW characters as I said have 7 different forms of saber combat as I said, and those forms HAVE been thoroughly explained, such as the Makashi style used by Count Dooku, which uses elegance, counters, and short cuts and stabs, and is a great saber to saber style, or Soresu, which in short is the ultimate defensive style. RK characters focus more on specific attacks in a fight than real sword fighting oftentimes, the best example I can think of Kenshin doing actual swordfighting with an opponent over an extended period of time would be when he fought Kurogasa. Tho I may have forgotten alot of things, since it has been quite awhile since I have read/watched Kenshin(God that opening theme still haunts me). Jack defeats 20 guys in a bar unscathed using machine guns, with just his sword, and he does not rely on the power of the sword to dodge those bullets. I also find Mihawk to be very skilled as well, with a dinky ass necklace knife, he easily defeated Zoro, who is a powerful swordsman that uses 3 swords. And no, he does not have a Devil Fruit.

It looks like you and I have very different ideas of what skill is, so I am just going to drop this argument.

ensatsu-ken
Originally posted by Allankles
Pure skills from what I've seen I'd have to go with Jin, Mugen, and the many swordsmen of Samurai Champloo. Jack is a good candidate as well.

Kenshin isn't nearly as skilled (in the pure sense of the word). His movements and "skills" seem to be more supernatural than skillful. Sure he has a lot of names for his moves but they are simple attacks made effective by his speed.

I've never seen anything form Kenshin to suggest he has the pure skill of a Jin or Mugen - and you've got to blame the animators for that.

The Jedi in the Clone Wars have elegant, precise attacks, they're not just random horizontal strikes. If anything Kenshin is lacking in elegance and precision when compared to the Clone Wars Jedi.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aCuHbLYMblQ&mode=related& amp;search=Star%20wars%20clone%20Dj%20Dom%20Stay%2
0With%20Me

It looks like you are just completely biased against Kenshin, so I am not even going to bother arguing with you stick out tongue .

Violent2Dope
Originally posted by Allankles

0With%20Me Spot on.

ensatsu-ken
Spot on.

Or maybe you are both just really biased againt Kenshin?....

Also, did you read my post when I said that having names to his attacks doesn't have anything to do with his actual skills? Also, how are you guys going to call Kenshin's skills simple enough for any common person to do, whereas the Jedi from SW, Samurai Jack, and SC characters, just use flashy, "cool-looking," swings and moves, which are not real forms of swordsmanship either?

I honestly think that you guys are just being biased. Kenshin is so underrated as a swordsman. I mean, first, on Kenshin vs. Jack, you guys said that Kenshin couldn't even take on Jack's weaker foes, who all have supernatural abilities, and the like. Then, we have someone over here, saying that Kenshin doesn't have any skills, and that all of his abilities are supernatural (which is, of course, complete BS). I suppose this shows that you guys either like to change your minds a lot, or are just biased, as I have already stressed.

This is why it is no use arguing on things like this.

Gregory
Well, based on the Saitou vs Kenshin fight and the Soujiro vs Kenshin fight (those being the first two I could find on Youtube), the combat animation for Rurouni Kenshin is pretty mediocre. I've never seen Samurai Jack, but for comparison, the fighting in the first episode of Samurai Champloo, whose characters some people here have already mentioned, is much more impressive; I don't think you need to resort to claims of "bias" to explain why some people might not be overly impressed by how Kenshin performs in the anime.

But, Kenshin's style is speed-based, so I'm not sure how much sense it makes to write him off as not being skilled and only relying on speed. It's because he's so skilled that he's so fast, not the other way around.

Violent2Dope
Or maybe you are both just really biased againt Kenshin?....

Also, did you read my post when I said that having names to his attacks doesn't have anything to do with his actual skills? Also, how are you guys going to call Kenshin's skills simple enough for any common person to do, whereas the Jedi from SW, Samurai Jack, and SC characters, just use flashy, "cool-looking," swings and moves, which are not real forms of swordsmanship either?

I honestly think that you guys are just being biased. Kenshin is so underrated as a swordsman. I mean, first, on Kenshin vs. Jack, you guys said that Kenshin couldn't even take on Jack's weaker foes, who all have supernatural abilities, and the like. Then, we have someone over here, saying that Kenshin doesn't have any skills, and that all of his abilities are supernatural (which is, of course, complete BS). I suppose this shows that you guys either like to change your minds a lot, or are just biased, as I have already stressed.

This is why it is no use arguing on things like this. You seem to call bias on everyone who disagrees with you. You should work on that. I never said Kenshin could not take on Jack's weaker enemies. Scottsman would rip him a new one tho. SW characters do use actual swordsmanship, you do know what real swordplay looks right, don't you. SC characters in game that is true, but cutscense show much more. As for Jack, he kill dozens of machine gun toting enemies with skill alone. Kenshin's skills are not simple enough for any swordsman to do, as they rely alot on his speed, which no human possesses.

ensatsu-ken
You seem to call bias on everyone who disagrees with you. You should work on that. I never said Kenshin could not take on Jack's weaker enemies. Scottsman would rip him a new one tho. SW characters do use actual swordsmanship, you do know what real swordplay looks right, don't you. SC characters in game that is true, but cutscense show much more. As for Jack, he kill dozens of machine gun toting enemies with skill alone. Kenshin's skills are not simple enough for any swordsman to do, as they rely alot on his speed, which no human possesses.

In the movies, the actors coreagraph the fights, and the swordmanship just looks fancy in the cartoon. A real duel with swords wouldn't be so well coreagraphed, and wouldn't look so fast and fancy. Real swords are, first of all, much heavier than they appear in enterainment (I have actually held a real katana before; so I know), and even stronger people cannot weild real weaposn so fast. They are all made to look fancy, for enterainment purposes.

Are you forgetting that Kenshin has taken out dozens of enemies with skill alone as well? First of all, what makes you say that speed, which you gain through training, is not skill? No human possesses the abilities of Jack either, but that does not mean that he does not have skill. However, at the same time, I don't see him use as much skill as Kenshin. If you were to replace his sword with a sturdy wooden one, I don't think that he would exactly be able to to take out some of his stronger foes, so easily any more. However, Kenshin, who uses a sakabatou, still shows lots of skill, even though the reverse edge of his sword isn't much more useful than a wooden sword.

Also, I do not say that everyone who disagrees with me is baised. I don't ever recall saying that on the YYH vs. Bleach thread. I am just saying that from the way which people underrate Kenshin. It was the same with Alucard.

Hidden Lotus
your guys' posts are too long laughing out loud
so i have to say kenshin, with his hiten-mitsurugi (spelling?) and what-not

Endless Mike
I still say Skull Knight

SHM
If we go by skill alone, I have to go with Cloud Strife.

King Kandy
I just wan't to point out somethings:

1. Shishio>Soujuro. This is stated on-panel.

2. Jack is so fast that he makes Kenshin look like he's standing still.

Violent2Dope
Originally posted by King Kandy

2. Jack is so fast that he makes Kenshin look like he's standing still. 1. True.

2. Idk about that. erm

Blax_Hydralisk
Jack can dodge an entire armies worth of bullets, as well as deflect them.

Jack could probably take half the Jedi Council if there were no force attacks involved, imo.

ensatsu-ken

2. Jack is so fast that he makes Kenshin look like he's standing still.

But would that actaully count as "skill" ? I mean, Jack has abilities that far defy normal human limitations. Kenshin also defies human limiations, but at the same time, his abilities are more realistic than Jack's. Just because Jack has all of these super abilities, does not necessarily mean that they "all" count as skill, whereas most of Kenshin't abilities can be seen as skill. Its not that I'm saying that Jack is not skilled, but it seems to me that most of his speed and strength are more supernatural than pure skill.

Also, I wouldn't say that Jack is fast enough to make Kenshin look like he's standing still, simply because there are enemies he has faced who are slower than Kenshin, who don't always look like their standing still in comparison to Jacks' speed stick out tongue .

Violent2Dope
Most of Kenshin's named techniques are humanely impossible.

ensatsu-ken
Most of Kenshin's named techniques are humanely impossible.

They are impossible, but not "that" impossible. Who knows, perhaps some time in the far future, they may develop certain medicle proteins to enhance the capabilities of the human body. Then everyone would have strength like Sanosuke, and speed like Kenshin stick out tongue (but not as much skill wink ).

Remindme
Just wondering as a question more than anything:

Is Itachi Skilled with a sword?

From what i gather he was the Anbu Captain for some times, and they all have swords. Shame he doesn't have one now, an Itachi / Sasuke sword battle would have been awesome ^-^

Violent2Dope
They are impossible, but not "that" impossible. Who knows, perhaps some time in the far future, they may develop certain medicle proteins to enhance the capabilities of the human body. Then everyone would have strength like Sanosuke, and speed like Kenshin stick out tongue (but not as much skill wink ). No, they are very impossible. A quick draw slash that creates an air vacuum when your opponent blocks it? Wtf?

Blax_Hydralisk
Originally posted by Remindme
Just wondering as a question more than anything:

Is Itachi Skilled with a sword?

From what i gather he was the Anbu Captain for some times, and they all have swords. Shame he doesn't have one now, an Itachi / Sasuke sword battle would have been awesome ^-^

He might be. But he has no feats to back him up.

Endless Mike
Why is everyone ignoring my choice?

Blax_Hydralisk
'cause we hate you.

Remindme

Vvendeta
Can we include Blade?

Zorro?

Aragorn of Lord of the Rings?

Gohan making acrobatics moves with a who knows very very Heavy Z Sword?

Remindme
Originally posted by Vvendeta
Can we include Blade?

Zorro?

Gohan making acrobatics moves with a who knows very very Heavy Z Sword?

No, and even if you did.... none of those show sword skill close to most others mentioned here

ensatsu-ken
No, they are very impossible. A quick draw slash that creates an air vacuum when your opponent blocks it? Wtf?

Well, not "all" of his techniques are impossible anyways. At any rate, the fact that there are no "real" supernatural powers in the RK Universe, shows that the characters can really only be good off of skill, and not just strength alone (proof of this is with Sanosuke; while being much stronger that most other RK characters, in terms of physical stength, and while he does have a fair deal of skill, it is not enough to even hold a candle to the more skilled swordsman of RK, who may not even be nearly as physically strong as Sanosuke).

Vvendeta

King Kandy
But would that actaully count as "skill" ? I mean, Jack has abilities that far defy normal human limitations. Kenshin also defies human limiations, but at the same time, his abilities are more realistic than Jack's. Just because Jack has all of these super abilities, does not necessarily mean that they "all" count as skill, whereas most of Kenshin't abilities can be seen as skill. Its not that I'm saying that Jack is not skilled, but it seems to me that most of his speed and strength are more supernatural than pure skill.

Also, I wouldn't say that Jack is fast enough to make Kenshin look like he's standing still, simply because there are enemies he has faced who are slower than Kenshin, who don't always look like their standing still in comparison to Jacks' speed stick out tongue .
Well when you consider Jack is a regular human, everything out of the ordinary that he does is "Skill", Except for his sword.

Jack stole the Eye of Chronos from Aku while Aku was Wearing it, and Aku didn't even know it was missing. This is even more impressive when you consider the Eye of Chronos gives you universal awareness...

Remindme

TricksterPriest
Originally posted by Endless Mike
I still say Skull Knight yes Agreed. The Skull Knight is a definite contender. The fights he has with Zodd and the other apostles demonstrate that he is a top tier swordsman.

Dante from DMC has an anime, but I don't know if he counts.

Violent2Dope
Well, not "all" of his techniques are impossible anyways. At any rate, the fact that there are no "real" supernatural powers in the RK Universe, shows that the characters can really only be good off of skill, and not just strength alone (proof of this is with Sanosuke; while being much stronger that most other RK characters, in terms of physical stength, and while he does have a fair deal of skill, it is not enough to even hold a candle to the more skilled swordsman of RK, who may not even be nearly as physically strong as Sanosuke). Did you just say nothing supernatural about RK? There's 50 foot giants in RK, and said giant is physically weaker than Kenshin's master. There are 12 foot fat guys who eat oil tanks and breathe fire with it. Sanosuke can cause small craters with his fists. Most of the characters are far faster than any known human could be. Shishio lights his blade on fire, and uses gunpowder on his glove to cause explosions with it, that somehow do not blow his arm off. RK is the definition of a supernatural martial arts anime. Alot of their "skill" is from supernatural power.

Ban Mido
Hmmm, this is tough..at first I was going to say Ha-Rhang Whur but I think I'll change it to Ghyur-Mahro

ensatsu-ken
Did you just say nothing supernatural about RK? There's 50 foot giants in RK, and said giant is physically weaker than Kenshin's master. There are 12 foot fat guys who eat oil tanks and breathe fire with it. Sanosuke can cause small craters with his fists. Most of the characters are far faster than any known human could be. Shishio lights his blade on fire, and uses gunpowder on his glove to cause explosions with it, that somehow do not blow his arm off. RK is the definition of a supernatural martial arts anime. Alot of their "skill" is from supernatural power.

There are "no" supernatural "powers" or "magic" or "energy" from Rurouni Kenshin (unless you count "swordman' spirit" as a form of mystical energy stick out tongue ). Also, there is no one who is 50 feet tall in RK. That guy who was referred to as "The Army of Destruction" was only about 20 feet tall at the most. Sure, its unrealistic, but not supernatural. As far as I see it, supernatural is mystical sort of stuff, like Ki and other energy forms, or psychic powers/abilities, or weapons that do crazy-ass stuff without actual skill from the user. I don't see RK as supernatural, since it has no mysticism in it, so to speak of (unless you count the Fueng Shui arc as such; but that was filler, so I wouldn't count it). It just has characters with unrealistic strength and speed in it, and in just 3 cases, unrealistic height and weight wink .

Gregory
As far as I see it, supernatural is mystical sort of stuff, like Ki and other energy forms, or psychic powers/abilities

Like, say, immobilizing people and paralyzing their lungs just by looking at them?

ensatsu-ken
Originally posted by Gregory
Like, say, immobilizing people and paralyzing their lungs just by looking at them?

Only Jin'eh could do that, and I don't remember ever calling him skilled (even though he was somewhat skilled, to the point in which he could easily take out 3 armed men before they drew their guns; but that's nothing, even in the RK universe wink ).

Blax_Hydralisk

Kazenji
Originally posted by Vvendeta
Can we include Blade?

Zorro?

Anime fool !!

Do you know what it is ??

Keollyn
Kyoya Izayoi. In a pure sword fight, even Trunks couldn't beat him.

King Kandy
Originally posted by Keollyn
Kyoya Izayoi. In a pure sword fight, even Trunks couldn't beat him.
What about Samurai Jack?

Keollyn
What about Samurai Jack?

He beats him.

Violent2Dope
Only Jin'eh could do that, and I don't remember ever calling him skilled (even though he was somewhat skilled, to the point in which he could easily take out 3 armed men before they drew their guns; but that's nothing, even in the RK universe wink ). Kurogasa beat Kenshin's ass even while he was at half Battosai, Kenshin had to go full Battosai to beat him. I would put Kurogasa above Aoshi.

King Kandy
He beats him.
How?

Keollyn
How?

By hitting him with his sword.

Gregory
Kurogasa beat Kenshin's ass even while he was at half Battosai, Kenshin had to go full Battosai to beat him. I would put Kurogasa above Aoshi.

Considering how well Aoshi did when he fought Kenshin after Kenshin's training with Hiko, I would put him definitively above Jin'eh, at least once he starts using two swords instead of one.

ensatsu-ken
Kurogasa beat Kenshin's ass even while he was at half Battosai, Kenshin had to go full Battosai to beat him. I would put Kurogasa above Aoshi.

Well I would agree with you if it was Aoshi with only 1 kodachi. However Kenshin had to use his new move which he attained from his teacher Hiko, to take down Aoshi. And as for whose stronger among swordsmen, Saito own both Jin'eh and Aoshi stick out tongue . And Hiko is the strongest/most skilled swordsman in all of the RK Universe, as far as I'm concerned cool .

King Kandy
By hitting him with his sword.
That's some pretty flimsy reasoning. You have to tell me why he would win in a swordfight.

TricksterPriest
I think the Skull Knight could take Kenshin. ermmhappy

Violent2Dope
Shishio is the strongest and most skilled in RKverse, that is fact.

ensatsu-ken
Shishio is the strongest and most skilled in RKverse, that is fact.

He is the second most skilled. It is in fact Hiko who is the most skilled. Why he did not go to defeat Shisio himself, I do not know, but the fact that Shishio uses the ability of his weapon to ignite in flames, to his advantage in battle, makes me see him as less skilled in actual sword skills than Hiko. I would say that he is about equal to how skilled Kenshin was, back when he was the battousai.

Violent2Dope
He is the second most skilled. It is in fact Hiko who is the most skilled. Why he did not go to defeat Shisio himself, I do not know, but the fact that Shishio uses the ability of his weapon to ignite in flames, to his advantage in battle, makes me see him as less skilled in actual sword skills than Hiko. I would say that he is about equal to how skilled Kenshin was, back when he was the battousai. Wait a minute, am I forgetting who Hiko is? Remind me.

ensatsu-ken
Wait a minute, am I forgetting who Hiko is? Remind me.

Kenshin's teacher/master. He trained Kenshin, and taught him everything he knew about swordsmanship. He was the dude that blocked the full force punch of a 20 foot tall man. Remember?

Violent2Dope
Kenshin's teacher/master. He trained Kenshin, and taught him everything he knew about swordsmanship. He was the dude that blocked the full force punch of a 20 foot tall man. Remember? Oh yeah. Kenshin beat Hiko, and could not defeat Shishio, Shishio died because his body got too hot if memory serves me right.

ensatsu-ken
Oh yeah. Kenshin beat Hiko, and could not defeat Shishio, Shishio died because his body got too hot if memory serves me right.

Kenshin never beat Hiko. Hiko was training him, and therefore was holding back in a sense. He wasn't truly fighting Kenshin with all of his skill, since he was trying to teach him a new technique. I mean, he probably would not have done so under normal circumstances, but Kenshin was kind of in a hurry. Besides, I recall Kenshin saying himself that Hiko was "the ultimate master of the Hiten Mitsurugi style" (considering that he was the only other person alive, besdies Kenshin, who knew the ways of that sword style). And yeah, Shishio could not fight for more than 15 minutes, and lost because he had exceeded his limit.

King Kandy
He is the second most skilled. It is in fact Hiko who is the most skilled. Why he did not go to defeat Shisio himself, I do not know, but the fact that Shishio uses the ability of his weapon to ignite in flames, to his advantage in battle, makes me see him as less skilled in actual sword skills than Hiko. I would say that he is about equal to how skilled Kenshin was, back when he was the battousai.
Are you kidding me? Shishio took on Aoshi, Sonosuke, Saito, and Kenshin all at once and was WINNING until his body overheated. He was hurting Kenshin WAY more then Kenshin was hurting him, and he blocked Kenshin's ultimate attack. He didn't block the second cut, but that was total BS (An air Vortex? WTF?)

Violent2Dope
Are you kidding me? Shishio took on Aoshi, Sonosuke, Saito, and Kenshin all at once and was WINNING until his body overheated. He was hurting Kenshin WAY more then Kenshin was hurting him, and he blocked Kenshin's ultimate attack. He didn't block the second cut, but that was total BS (An air Vortex? WTF?) Agreed.

TricksterPriest
Shishio is solidly in the #2 spot. if he didn't have the 15 min time limit, I'd say Hiko is the only guy in the series who could take him.

That being said, the Skull Knight would take him. stick out tongue

Gregory
Are you kidding me? Shishio took on Aoshi, Sonosuke, Saito, and Kenshin all at once and was WINNING until his body overheated. He was hurting Kenshin WAY more then Kenshin was hurting him, and he blocked Kenshin's ultimate attack. He didn't block the second cut, but that was total BS (An air Vortex? WTF?)

On the other hand, Aoshi had just taken Kenshin's ultimate attack head on, Kenshin had fought Aoshi and Soujiro, and Sanosuke was injured fighting Anji; the only one who wasn't badly injurred before even meeting Shishio was Saitou, whose fight I seem to remember as being pretty one-sided. If Shishio fought Kenshin when Kenshin hadn't just had to deal with two of the other greatest swordsmen in the RK universe...? It's hard to say, even if I gave the nod to Shishio in an earlier post. (And the air vortex is no more BS than Shishio's fire techniques, IMO)

Endless Mike
The Skull Knight would defeat everyone in the Kenshinverse

Blax_Hydralisk
Pikachu would destroy Skull Knight. What's your point?

ensatsu-ken

Are you forgetting that all 4 of them were heavily injured? And he did not take them all on at once. He took them on one at a time. You really know how to exaggerate things roll eyes (sarcastic) .

Keollyn
That's some pretty flimsy reasoning. You have to tell me why he would win in a swordfight.

You didn't give me enough reason to go out of my way.

http://forums.narutofan.com/showpost.php?p=5222422&postcount=160

Jack can't beat that.

Kazenji
Pikachu would destroy Skull Knight. What's your point?

Well the skull knight has killed quite a few of the apostles and not to menton they all fear him plus he's on par with Zodd for fighting so yea thats why he's good.

Violent2Dope

Jack can't beat that. Jack pwns gods.

Keollyn
Jack pwns gods.

So does Kyoya. Your point?

yungz22
i think hei from yuyu hakusho if i spelled it right

TricksterPriest
The Skull Knight also has a dimension-cutting sword that also seems to work on evil spirits.

Not to mention he rides a demon horse that seems to have no stamina limit.

2D_MASTER
Originally posted by Endless Mike
I still say Skull Knight

Yeash I WAS going to say Gatsu... but then you reminded me that Skull Knight makes Gatsu look like a choir boy. I don't believe any swordsman in any anime can touch Skull Knight.

King Kandy

Jack can't beat that.
Really? If Jack can defeat Chronos who had power over the entire universe, I don't see why he can't beat that.

chickenlover98
Really? If Jack can defeat Chronos who had power over the entire universe, I don't see why he can't beat that.

because he had a MAGIC SWORD. wtf do u not understand that that gives him the edge.

King Kandy
because he had a MAGIC SWORD. wtf do u not understand that that gives him the edge.
Even if your sword can Cut someone, you still need to remember that they can cut you as well.

chickenlover98
Even if your sword can Cut someone, you still need to remember that they can cut you as well.

so what. doesnt matter. all he needs is one good slash. clearly aku wasnt smart or he would have ripped jack a new one. one carefully placed sniper = bye bye jack. he clearly isnt a smart villian. what makes chronos diff

Keollyn

And this tell me what? That a universal being couldn't beat someone who has problems with things less than country level threats?

King Kandy
And this tell me what? That a universal being couldn't beat someone who has problems with things less than country level threats?
I agree that it seems kind of strange, but it happened.

Keollyn
Well that's an inconsistent feat, or something is not being explained (someone is purposely leaving out important details).

Regardless, if Jack doesn't have better feats that Kyoya, he can't beat him.

Gregory
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
The Skull Knight also has a dimension-cutting sword that also seems to work on evil spirits.

Not to mention he rides a demon horse that seems to have no stamina limit.

If anything, I'd say that a dimension-cutting sword should disqualify him, if his feats are due simply to a magic weapon.

King Kandy
Well that's an inconsistent feat, or something is not being explained (someone is purposely leaving out important details).

Regardless, if Jack doesn't have better feats that Kyoya, he can't beat him.
He does. He beat Chronos, who beat the universe.

chickenlover98
If anything, I'd say that a dimension-cutting sword should disqualify him, if his feats are due simply to a magic weapon.

eactly thats what ive been saying since the start of this thread. i also said it in the samurai jack vs kenshin thread. finally someone listens........... mad

superkronick92
Though the sword has some special abilities, what Jack does for it, skill-wise, like out-fighting chronos, is entirely because of him. The sword is just his tool.

chickenlover98
the sword is magic kronick. MAGIC. therefore all feats are negated. if he can beat chronos yet he has some trouble with robots somethings wrong

Violent2Dope
the sword is magic kronick. MAGIC. therefore all feats are negated. if he can beat chronos yet he has some trouble with robots somethings wrong That was Jack near the start of the series. Also, you act as tho simply cause his sword is magic, he needs no skill.

superkronick92
Though the sword has some special abilities, what Jack does for it, skill-wise, like out-fighting chronos, is entirely because of him. The sword is just his tool.

Pay attention, you need to think before you post

chickenlover98
Pay attention, you need to think before you post

ok. give him a regular sword. id like to see him replicate what he's done. highly unlikely. he could never even hurt the scottsman with a regular sword

superkronick92
His sword was magic to

TricksterPriest

He made his own sword into a dimension cutter. He did it by using the behelits that he took from killing other apostles. He swallowed the behelits, and then when he needed the 'sword of resonance' he stuck his sword down his throat and coated it with the behelits he had taken.

Violent2Dope
ok. give him a regular sword. id like to see him replicate what he's done. highly unlikely. he could never even hurt the scottsman with a regular sword ...What? He could if you give the Scottsman a normal sword. Also, Scottsman is a tough bastard.

TricksterPriest
Jack's feats of cutting objects are discounted, but not his skills. He is quite skilled as a swordsman. And yeah, the Scotsman has a rune sword. Plus, if your left leg is a machine gun AND you wear a kilt, you better be a tough bastard. laughing out loud

King Kandy
You guys act like just because his sword can cut things, he can beat all the foes he's beaten. Even though it had trouble cutting those ultra-robots.

ensatsu-ken
Originally posted by yungz22
i think hei from yuyu hakusho if i spelled it right

Even though he's one of my favorite anime characters of all time, I must point out that Hiei doesn't really have any real sword skills. He just combines random slashes with his inredible level of speed, to be able to hack up enemies in a really bad-ass way cool . At any rate, he actually fought with his fists on more occasions than he had with his sword.

Violent2Dope
Even though he's one of my favorite anime characters of all time, I must point out that Hiei doesn't really have any real sword skills. He just combines random slashes with his inredible level of speed, to be able to hack up enemies in a really bad-ass way cool . At any rate, he actually fought with his fists on more occasions than he had with his sword. He was taught swordsmanship by Shigure, wasn't he?

Blax_Hydralisk
Heie doesn't really have any good sword fears. As Enatsu said, he just uses his powers to help him use his sword. His actual dueling abilities aren't too impressive.

ensatsu-ken
He was taught swordsmanship by Shigure, wasn't he?

Yeah, but Shigure didn't pass on all of his swordsmanship skills to Hiei. That is not to say that he was not skilled at all, but its not like Hiei trained under him for a long time (as in a few years). He only trained with him for a little while (probably a few days), and then left to go onto his own priorities. Also, when they fought, Hiei was only able to win because of his speed, and even then, Shigure was still able to land a devastating hit on him, which would have cost Hiei his life if Mokuro hadn't healed him. If he had picked up more of Shigure's skills, then he probably could have avoided being slashed, and still could have killed Shigure, with his speed advantage (although they were actually relatively close in speed, seeing as Shigure could track all of his movements).

ensatsu-ken
Heie doesn't really have any good sword fears. As Enatsu said, he just uses his powers to help him use his sword. His actual dueling abilities aren't too impressive.

Well, his actual swordsmanship abilities aren't anything special at all, however, his battle abilities in general are great, IMO. He has been in some of my favorite battles in the entire sereis, and I like them mainly because of his awesome abilities, such as the Fist of the Mortal Flame, the Sword of the Darkness Flame (otherwise known as "ensatsuken" wink ), his Dragon of the Darkness Flame, and a few other abilities of his. He also does have some fighting skills with his fists, since he was able to go head to head with Yusuke, who has some great martial arts skills cool .

Blax_Hydralisk
Heie does have awesome skills in general, my post was just referring to his swordssmanship.

Violent2Dope
Toguro is better in actual H2H than most in the series, just overall weaker than the people in the later sagas.

Keollyn
He does. He beat Chronos, who beat the universe.

And Kyoya once took in the power of the universe.

But it isn't his normal displayed abilities. Care for me to use it like this bogus feat Jack has?

King Kandy
And Kyoya once took in the power of the universe.

But it isn't his normal displayed abilities. Care for me to use it like this bogus feat Jack has?
Really? Because Jack had no amp in this situation. It was his regular power level.

Keollyn
And his regular power level shouldn't be enough for a universe destroyer. Do you not comprehend this?

Blax_Hydralisk
So what are you saying? That it's PIS?

Keollyn
Yes. Yes I am.

King Kandy
And his regular power level shouldn't be enough for a universe destroyer. Do you not comprehend this?
Why not? He's faced many foes of similar caliber:

The three elemental spirits.
That haunted House demon.
Aku.
And others as well.

Blax_Hydralisk
mos def, Jacks defeated armies of thousands of robots.

if you want to delcare that feat PIS, then you essentially have to declare the entire series PIS, because he does that crap in nearly every episode. he defeats gods, spirits, armies and other stuff by himself.

Keollyn
Why not? He's faced many foes of similar caliber:

The three elemental spirits.
That haunted House demon.
Aku.
And others as well.

Because they all can destroy a universe, eh?

Riiiggt...

mos def, Jacks defeated armies of thousands of robots.

if you want to delcare that feat PIS, then you essentially have to declare the entire series PIS, because he does that crap in nearly every episode. he defeats gods, spirits, armies and other stuff by himself.

Defeating thousands of robots is the same as defeating Thanos with the infinity gauntlet?

ensatsu-ken
Toguro is better in actual H2H than most in the series, just overall weaker than the people in the later sagas.

Yeah, that's true. Although Genkai also deserves some credit for her martial arts skills, even though she wasn't really as skilled as Toguro was.

chickenlover98
Because they all can destroy a universe, eh?

Riiiggt...

Defeating thousands of robots is the same as defeating Thanos with the infinity gauntlet?

PIS by sword. i dont think he could replicate anything he did with a regular sword. well cept when he fought the archers. otherwise no all the sword

superkronick92
That's because the magic sword lets him cut through them. The sword is just a tool

TricksterPriest
His martial arts, dodging, and intelligence are not affected by his sword. Only his ability to cut things.

King Kandy
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
His martial arts, dodging, and intelligence are not affected by his sword. Only his ability to cut things.
Plus the sword couldn't even cut the Ultra-Robots.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>