Shang Tsung

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Snafu the Great

Sam Z
Good job.
Shang's badass.

Ridley_Prime
Woot! I was wondering how much longer it'd be until a Shang Tsung thread was made. If it had been much longer, I would've made a thread for him myself.

Although his fighting styles (in the latest MK games) may seem strange and what not, that doesn't change what he was from the beginning, and needless to say, they're very good if used correctly (example: You can do more damage to opponents if you perform Snake combos on them while they're still in the air), and although there's other MK villains like Shao Kahn and what not who have shown themselves to be more powerful, Shang still remains one of the deadliest enemies in Mortal Kombat, with his ability to steal souls, and then some.

The modern Shang Tsung was definitely at his best in the Armageddon intro, as he held more than his own against the zombie Liu Kang.

As for outside the games, my favorite version of Shang is definitely the one from Mortal Kombat Conquest (a live action TV series in the 90's that was cancelled after the 1st season due to budgeting problems), who was played by Bruce Locke. IMO, the one in the 1st movie kinda sucked in comparison.

Example of MKC Shang's awesomeness (with a couple scenes from the movie):

5-8sKVXogxA

Sam Z
Awesome video. I loved the tv series. Shang was kicking ass there, also it was nice to learn his origin.

Shin_Nikkolas
He was better in the first movie in my view. Much more imposing and sinister. From his intro where he owns Liu's brother and casually breaks his back to the infamous "your soul...is mine!" scene to when he finally battles Liu Kang, he was win.

shin_gear
Shang would WTFpwn Hayabusa with his mallet, lolz.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Sam Z
Awesome video. I loved the tv series.
Thanks, and you used to watch MKC too? Woot! Happy Dance I thought I was the only one here until now. erm

Shang was kicking ass there
Yep. Bruce Locke did an awesome job of portraying Shang's character in that series, and like you said, he was kicking ass there.

also it was nice to learn his origin.
Agreed. It was nice to learn Scorpion and Sub-zero's origin in that series too. smile
Nice Teen Titans sig of B.B. and Raven by the way. thumb up

----

*posts a couple other cool Shang Tsung videos while I'm at it*

nhTXweiHV00

XQ6ClFjscXA

Originally posted by Shin_Nikkolas
From his intro where he owns Liu's brother and casually breaks his back to the infamous "your soul...is mine!" scene to when he finally battles Liu Kang, he was win.
Hmm... guess I can't argue with ya there, though to me, he was more imposing and sinister in MKC.

To each his own, I guess. stick out tongue

Sam Z
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Thanks, and you used to watch MKC too? Woot! Happy Dance I thought I was the only one here until now. erm
Watch?? Being an MK fanatic I BOUGHT the entire show on DVDs so now I can watch it whenever I want. big grin big grin

Yep. Bruce Locke did an awesome job of portraying Shang's character in that series, and like you said, he was kicking ass there.
I personally liked Locke as Shang much better than Tagawa, he looks more like Shang from old MK games.

Agreed. It was nice to learn Scorpion and Sub-zero's origin in that series too. smile
Yeah, loved their fights and the fact that we didn't get a clear winner. Gives an opportunity for speculations.big grin

Nice Teen Titans sig of B.B. and Raven by the way. thumb upThanks smile Normally I don't get much into toon chars but these two crack me up.

*posts a couple other cool Shang Tsung videos while I'm at it*

nhTXweiHV00

XQ6ClFjscXA
I always said that Shang should've kept the leather jacket, looks much cooler than his normal outfit.

Ridley_Prime
Watch?? Being an MK fanatic I BOUGHT the entire show on DVDs so now I can watch it whenever I want. big grin big grin
Huh. Nice...
I never saw a DVD/video series of MKC though, and from what I read on wiki, MKC DVDs were only available in Australia or something. erm

Meh. At least they have all the episodes posted on youtube.

Besides Shang Tsung and Scorpion (or Taketa as he was originally called), my favorite character in that series was probably Siro, but they should've had him win more instead of just Kung Lao pwning all the time.

I personally liked Locke as Shang much better than Tagawa, he looks more like Shang from old MK games.
Yep, and in the episode where Master Cho (known as Bo Rai Cho in the games) temporarily disabled Shang from maintaining his youth, he greatly resembled the Shang Tsung from the 1st MK game. big grin

Yeah, loved their fights and the fact that we didn't get a clear winner. Gives an opportunity for speculations.big grin
Heh. Yep... though it's too bad they had to cancel the episode with Smoke (which the Lin Kuei apparently summoned to hunt down Sub-zero for betraying them), as it would've been nice to see how the human Smoke would fight in a live action movie/show (as opposed to his robot form that appeared in MK Annihilation). I'm guessing that episode was supposed to have been in the 2nd season, but they had to cancel that season due to budgeting problems that the producers/directors of the show had (from what I heard), so instead they just gave a cliff-hanger ending of Shao Kahn beating Raiden (who lost his powers due to unknowing fighting in Outworld) and the Shadow Priests killing everyone else.

What's funny is that in the storyline of the games, Shang Tsung was actually the master of the Shadow Priests (and used to lead them or whatever under Shao Kahn, before the events of Deadly Alliance) and was more powerful than them too, but in MKC, the Shadow Priests were physically invincible. One of them somehow 'countered' Shang Tsung's soul-stealing technique with their own magic...

Thanks smile Normally I don't get much into toon chars but these two crack me up.
Heh. I can see why...

I always said that Shang should've kept the leather jacket, looks much cooler than his normal outfit.
Agreed, though as far as the games go, I like his red outfit best (from the latest titles that come after MK4), but still prefer the leather jacket most.

shin_gear
Originally posted by shin_gear
Shang would WTFpwn Hayabusa with his mallet, lolz. Co-signed.

Ridley_Prime
*shameless bump*

------

In the Mortal Kombat Conquest series, Shang Tsung puts up a somewhat decent fight against his former mentor, Master Cho (known as Bo Rai Cho in Deadly Alliance, Deception, and Armageddon, but Master Cho is simply a prototype of that character).

CN-sxxF6tqY

Shang may have lost (though he beats Cho in a rematch later on in that episode, which I don't see a video of), but it was still a pretty epic fight nonetheless (for the time of the show's airing at least). Plus, I love the quote "All your evil. This is where it began, there is where it will end". stick out tongue

------

Shang Tsung temporarily teams up with the Great Kung Lao to defeat Kreeya (a very powerful female warrior, exclusive only to the MK TV series) :

tpL8eqpUwdw

------

Shang owns Reptile 31 (which I believe I posted in the Reptile respect thread, but whatever). Still a victory for Tsung.

t9FNfpdKzew

------

Shang is at his prime in the Armageddon intro, as he basically owns the zombie Liu Kang before getting attacked by surprise at the end. He also defends himself against Shao Kahn before that. Seeing as how well he did there, Tsung probably wouldn't have even needed Onaga's help to deal with Kahn.

W6Es51S7YLY

Respect Shang Tsung, the most badass sorceror in the series, and the first real villain in all of Mortal Kombat! clap

Ridley_Prime
Random trivia: It was Shang Tsung's sorcerory that created the "secret character" in MK4 whom we came to know as Meat in Armageddon.

kvv9Ra5Bz-Q

He also created Mileena, according to her MK2 ending.

http://www.mortalkombatguides.com/mk2/images/bios/mileena_end1.gif

Haven't seen a character who Quan Chi created with his sorcerory though. stick out tongue

Ridley_Prime
Haven't seen a character who Quan Chi created with his sorcerory though. stick out tongue
Oh, wait. Forgot about Quan Chi's 3 personal assassins. erm They don't really count though since Sareena's the only one you ever get to play as (in Armageddon only). She turns on Quan Chi anyhow, and joins the Lin Kuei. Anyhow...

Shang Tsung's THE JUGGERNAUT, B*TCH!

qqORvXtIg-o

Kintaro fireball fatality:

v4iY-gEniIE

Shang Tsung fatality theater:

Ex0lM0PWvu4

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Snafu the Great
Ending

Empowered by the godlike energy he received from Blaze, Shang Tsung found that he could alter the forms of others. Enraged that he was denied the prize, Shao Kahn charged the sorcerer. With a gesture of his hand, Shang Tsung transformed his former master into a centaur slave. Shang Tsung had become the ruler of Outworld at last.
This, you mean? stick out tongue

kcHRR67RRUU

Well, at least you got his Armageddon bio posted in the 1st post. erm

Ridley_Prime
Oh, yeah. Gotta love how Tsung mercilessly kills Liu Kang's younger brother, Chan (starting at 1:20).

jHpy9YoTtw4

"You will be next."
Gotta love that line as well. big grin

-----

There's also this. Shang Tsung making major appearances in Mortal Kombat: The Journey Begins, which is basically an animated film released by Threshold Entertainment in 1995, as an unofficial prequel to the feature film that debuted the same year, and featured not only traditional 2D cell animation, but also motion capture and CGI to tell the origins behind several of the major characters, including Shang Tsung's. It's composed of 4 parts on YouTube.

WjdmOeLJP1I

1Z-Zw1Pi5nc

g50tb_0Uz0Y

7WPSkov69Uk

Ridley_Prime
Yet another good wallpaper.

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/9971/mkcshangtsungbc1.jpg

He really does look like a "demon" sorceror there. big grin

Wandering Flame
Originally posted by shin_gear
Shang would WTFpwn Hayabusa with his mallet, lolz. ...co-signed.

Ridley_Prime
Shang Tsung trading card. This one's one of my favorites.

gJY_1r5BZlg

Ridley_Prime
lawl An army of Doomsdays.

cbFDGZdMtF0

Ridley_Prime
laughing out loud

http://tabmok99.mortalkombatonline.com/spirit_liu_256_a.jpg

http://tabmok99.mortalkombatonline.com/spirit_liu_256_e.jpg

Ridley_Prime
Nothing without Goro huh?

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/5886/shangtsung1fz2.jpg

http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/5918/shangtsung2fy3.jpg

Ridley_Prime
Owns Johnny Cage (in his MK2 guise).

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/2286/te0226bx6.jpg

Ridley_Prime
The moment when Tsung gets his youth and the rest of his powers restored. Also officially introduces Kintaro.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/8310/mk0208lj2.jpg

Snafu the Great
RuGbzhxBZGw

What? You thought Shang was originally from Outworld? He's originally Chinese. Also, Shang's Flaming Skulls are the souls of his victims.

Ridley_Prime
Nah, I pretty much figured he was originally human.

edit-

Owns Johnny Cage (in his MK2 guise).

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/2286/te0226bx6.jpg
Nice... Forgot I even posted this badass scan.

optic_blast!!!
well i kinda hated the malibu comics, i mean liu kang, johny cage, sonya, kitana ,jax, kung lao were all bad asses but all the others got there asses handed to them, reptile scorpion sub zero just jobbed to everyone not to mention scorpion got owned by sub zero every time they fought it wasnt even a fight it was pure ownege for sub zero

Snafu the Great
http://www.fightersgeneration.com/nx4/tagawa-shangtsung.jpg

Welcome back, Mr. Tagawa.

Over a decade after his badass potrayal of Shang Tsung, Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa reprises his role in Mortal Kombat Legacy. Although it is a different portrayal of Shang, it's good to see him back in the role.

SamZED
Awesome!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.