Heroes characters in Marvel / DC

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dreampanther
Can anyone suggest the corresponding heroes / bad guys in Marvel or DC for the Heroes characters, based on their powers?

I would suggest that Nathan is based on Angel...
Mr Bennet is based on Nick Fury...
DL is based on Kitty Pride...
Remember that Company chick that was a shapeshifter, like Mystique?
Mind-reading and TK is fairly obvious - Jean Grey, for one.
Claire and Nicki combined suggests Wolverine to me...

I have to admit, there seems to be a lot of Marvel-based influence on Heroes, IMO!

big grin

exanda kane
You expected originality in a big US show?

Entity
Well your just going off powers and to me their characters are very different in personality.
To me personality of characters is several times more important than their powers.

I'd much rather read about a fascinating character like Peter Parker or Bruce Wayne than Superman or Hal Jordan.
For me its quality of the character and not quantity of the power! wink

Peter just ended up being the best of both worlds for me. big grin
Seriously thou I would've liked Peter best even if he'd just been able to fly or mimic or even turned out to just be a normal human with a flying ass for a brother. lol

General Zink
Yeah, you're just going off of powers there. It's not like Kitty Pride is the only character ever who can phase through things. Likewise on regeneration, enhanced strength, etc.

Tattoo
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Remember that Company chick that was a shapeshifter, like Mystique?

She isn't a shape shifter, she's an illusionist, big difference there. Rather than change just her appearance, Candice can make you see whatever she wants you to see. Endless hallway whose doors all lead to the same room? Check. Melting face when you look in the mirror? (Graphic Novel) Check. If anything she's like Mutant 143 from X-Men 2.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6500/m1432op8.jpg

Strangelove
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Claire and Nicki combined suggests Wolverine to me... Wolverine doesn't have superhuman strength. So he only corresponds to Claire.

Entity
Originally posted by Tattoo
She isn't a shape shifter, she's an illusionist, big difference there. Rather than change just her appearance, Candice can make you see whatever she wants you to see. Endless hallway whose doors all lead to the same room? Check. Melting face when you look in the mirror? (Graphic Novel) Check. If anything she's like Mutant 143 from X-Men 2.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/6500/m1432op8.jpg Well that's how I've always thought of her but it doesn't explain the whole world seeing Sylar as Nathan threw cameras in Five Years Gone!

The only explainsion I can come up with is she can both bend light and cast illusions and I just don't like mixing powers like that when they wouldn't work the same way at all.

Tattoo
Originally posted by Entity
Well that's how I've always thought of her but it doesn't explain the whole world seeing Sylar as Nathan threw cameras in Five Years Gone!

The only explainsion I can come up with is she can both bend light and cast illusions and I just don't like mixing powers like that when they wouldn't work the same way at all.

Her power doesn't necessarily work in the same way as his though. He was the closest comparison that I know of.

Unless we get an official explanation, I'm at a loss.

S_D_J
I have a theory:

(posted in the Candice Wilmer thread)

Originally posted by S_D_J
hmm, yes it does

See, She's not mentally projecting the illusion of looking different than what she actually is on "everyone" all the time. she's only projecting it on herself.

that's why she can look the way she wants, in front of everybody, without actually having to worry about who pays attention to her.

her power is to create ILLUSIONS... that means if she just concentrates only on herself, she can become anyone she wishes and everyone wont notice. If she focuses on someone else she can make that person (or people) believe whatever she wishes...

Illusions are obtained by bending light... think of a magician, they often uses lights (mirrors) or smoke to create Illusions but they arent real.
If you were to go to see his show with a camcoder, and if you dont know how he does it, you will obviously be fooled by him...and if you still dont know how he did it, and your watching what you recorded, you still be fooled by it. The Camera picks and record lights... if a illusion it's not in your head (but on something else) the camera wont know any different than you... or see, or pick o record... stick out tongue

I dont agree, however, when it's said that her power it's to bend light.. that wont explain making Illusions feel and sound corporeal... I mean real.

she accomplishes that by messing with your head

Originally posted by Entity
Well that's how I've always thought of her but it doesn't explain the whole world seeing Sylar as Nathan threw cameras in Five Years Gone!

I think bending light its part of being an Illusionist...

Captain REX
As ever, I'm thoroughly convinced that it has to do with light.

S_D_J
Originally posted by Captain REX
As ever, I'm thoroughly convinced that it has to do with light.

you mean...confused

Dreampanther
I think it's a mind thing rather than a light thing - if she could bend light she could become invisible, by bending the light around her. That is what that invisible guy can do, I believe.

Instead, she manipulates your mind, somehow, letting you see what she wants you to see. Do you understand the difference? IMO, there IS a difference - she cannot make herself invisible, but she can make you think she is somebody else - the same way she cannot make a room invisible, but she can make the room appear to look different to the way it really is.

Dreampanther
Originally posted by General Zink
Yeah, you're just going off of powers there. It's not like Kitty Pride is the only character ever who can phase through things. Likewise on regeneration, enhanced strength, etc.

I understand why you are saying so, because on first glance it DOES appear as if I am only going by powers - but look closer:

Nathan I say is based on Angel not only because he can fly, but because he is the product of a prominent, wealthy family - the rightful heir to millions - both of them have families who wish they didn't have the ability to fly.

Mr Bennet and Nick Fury mirror each other on so many levels - both patriotic men working for secret organisations, both ruthless, highly trained and capable men who will hesitate at almost nothing to protect what they hold dear - both mortal men who compete equally with people with powers due to their tactical skill.

I suggested Nicki and Claire together because to me they represent the duality of Wolverine's nature - on the one hand a sensitive romantic who has lost a lot and been hurt a lot, on the other hand a lethal killer.

I really think we are going to find a lot of similarities in character as well as power, probably because unconsciously the creators of Heroes incorporated some of the characters' personality traits along with the powers...

S_D_J
confused

What's the thread about?

I thought It was about making a comparison based on Powers

but you are considering personality traits... and it seems a little out of topic

anyway:
I dont agree when comparing Nathan to Angel

they're so different in many ways:
I dont know much about Angel, but what I know its he can fly using his wings... he doesnt have any powers... he's just mutated and it's able to fly because he has wings...he doesnt use any other "thing" to make him, or help him Fly.
Nathan however flies ( or levitate or whatever)... I can't explain how he flies, but he's able to fly without having to resort to outer appendices such as wings... he just flies. And he can go supersonic (or jet speed) when his flying... Angel. however, can't

while it's true they come from wealthy Families: Angel's family didnt want him... because he was a mutant, He's left with Xavier, and he raises him. Nathan's family it's the complete apposite... they loved him, they want him, they chose him to be president, to be "the one". They knew about Nathan's power (An I think they knew what his power was even before Nathan himself found out about them). They didnt left him or rejected him.... Nathan was the one who rejected his own "Specialness"

I will have to go with IGN's Heroes and their ComicBook Counterparts list when trying to find a match for Nathan:

Canonball: He can fly without wings... and can fly at high speed as well

Captain REX
You don't know that Candice couldn't make herself invisible, Dreampanther; the situation has never come up in the show. Not to mention that it would likely be confused with invisibility, which is Claude's power.

I really don't think comparing Heroes characters to X-Men characters is even feasible. Your similarities are vague at best, and can be spanned to several other series. No offense, but I don't understand why you would want to compare these series in the first place...

S_D_J
I dont think we are referring solely to Xmen (or Marvel for that case), but to DC as well...
it's just that when thinking of the Power the heroes posses, is much easier to compare then to them, because most of the powers have been portrayed in Xmen before they appeared in Heroes

The similarities (again talking only about powers here) are much more tangible than what you think

and its part of being a comic book geek... we want to compared them, even though we shouldn't

However, I dont agree when taking personality traits to make comparison between the two. that's just not possible... me thinks

Captain REX
Seeing as Heroes is not a comic book, I still fail to see your point. stick out tongue

But likewise on the personality comparisons. They're worlds apart when it comes to personality.

martialarts123
powers don actually exists but there are some powers was exists there only one named magic

Tattoo
Originally posted by martialarts123
powers don actually exists but there are some powers was exists there only one named magic

What the hell are you talking about?

LordKaos
I think her illusions are a mix of both mind and light bending, her illusions can be televised, and she can alter the perceptions of at least three of the five senses. Hell she might be a low level reality warper.

Mairuzu
Yea, theres no way sylar can be shown as nathan through the television if it were just mind based

HueyFreeman
Originally posted by LordKaos
I think her illusions are a mix of both mind and light bending, her illusions can be televised, and she can alter the perceptions of at least three of the five senses. Hell she might be a low level reality warper. I agree, its more than bending light. I just remember in season one when she was the skinny girl, Linderman hugged her and put his hand around her small waist which is funny because she's a hefty.

Strangelove
Originally posted by HueyFreeman
I agree, its more than bending light. I just remember in season one when she was the skinny girl, Linderman hugged her and put his hand around her small waist which is funny because she's a hefty. Her illusions can fool all five senses.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.