** Poetry Contest **

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Syren
This thread is simply to gauge interest in a possible poetry contest. The others we've held have been fairly successful, although more participation is always a bonus.

If you're interested in taking part, please post here and also feel free to make any suggestions you think might benefit the contest this time around if it does go ahead.

For the time being, there are only three judges on the panel as we're unsure of the level of interest. Obviously if we have an influx of potential participants we'll need more judges so you're also welcome to make yourselves known if you'd rather judge than enter.

There are only a few basic rules but they will be outlined as and when the contest begins and our moderator, lil bitchiness, will do the honours when the time comes.

Thanks smile

SelphieT
I guess I'm interested, just fill me in with the facts wink

AOR
I love the idea. Also, we can have several categories from which people can post in if the numbers are good. big grin

~Forever*Alone~
i am very interested, and would like to participate and i will with your permission.

i havent been feeling very inspired lately, maybe this will help.

maybe someone should pm some people and let them know, cause people might not come here so often but still frequent the forum.

Syren
Wouldn't want to bombard people though. Maybe we should all PM only those friends we're pretty sure would be interested, but might not visit as often for some reason. That way we're not being overly forceful and can't be accused of spamming smile

XvampbenjiiX666
hmmm...i like the idea of a poetry contest but i dont have many friends on here but ill try my best to help

Shelbert Lemon
I'll give it a go.

~Bun Bun~
Thanks for the PM Syren babe. happy

I'll give it a go big grin

Vinny Valentine
Yes.... 100%

Just remind me when to start and I'll do it.

Sweet Escape
Of course I'm interested eek!

Any specifics for it?

chillmeistergen
Yeah, I'm up for it.

Syren
No specifics yet, they'll be outlined soon yes

vivando-loca
i'll do it. *shrug*

Leo.M
I'll do it.

Baylin
I'm sure I can come up with something nice and inane so as not to amuse anyone but myself... blink confused

Count me in! happy

XvampbenjiiX666
i love the feeling of people wanting to do this kinda stuff

~Forever*Alone~
i will be sooo depressed when i lose, but i love this idea!

XvampbenjiiX666
lol wow...wait r u serious? runforhills

Syren
Serious about the contest? Of course smile

XvampbenjiiX666
no not the contest but the depressed feeling...life is confusing...sigh

~Forever*Alone~
Originally posted by XvampbenjiiX666
no not the contest but the depressed feeling...life is confusing...sigh

i hold an extremely high opinion of my work, but i know that other people dont feel the same way i do about my work, and still i put myself above all the rest.

im sorry its a little embarrassing to admit embarrasment

chillmeistergen
All the rest? So, you're above poets like Yeats, Blake, Coleridge, Keats, Byron, Heaney etc?

Syren
That's what she said... and it is her personal opinion wink

big gay kirk
As a runner up in a previous KMC poetry comp, i'm up for it.. just let me know the subject and rules....

Shelbert Lemon
Originally posted by ~Forever*Alone~
i hold an extremely high opinion of my work, but i know that other people dont feel the same way i do about my work, and still i put myself above all the rest.

im sorry its a little embarrassing to admit embarrasment Good. If thats how you feel, you should think highly of your work. I on the other hand am rather shitty and I know it.
Still think it will be fun to try. happy

~Forever*Alone~
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
All the rest? So, you're above poets like Yeats, Blake, Coleridge, Keats, Byron, Heaney etc?

no, those guys are good and i know it, i just hate modern poets.

chillmeistergen
There are plenty of brilliant modern poets. In fact, Heaney's modern.

big gay kirk
Originally posted by Shelbert Lemon
. I on the other hand am rather shitty and I know it.

may I disagree....??? I'll always remember what an old editor told me... "You can't say your stuff's crap.. tha's my job!"

~Forever*Alone~
There are plenty of brilliant modern poets. In fact, Heaney's modern.

all right, if you want me to be painfully honest, i hate everybodys poem on this forum, and by all the rest i meant all the other people on this forum, not real poets.

no offense meant....

chillmeistergen
all right, if you want me to be painfully honest, i hate everybodys poem on this forum, and by all the rest i meant all the other people on this forum, not real poets.

no offense meant....

Oh right, fair enough. Though I think Ya Krunk'd Floo's is about 400 times better than yours.

No offense meant....

Bardock42

im sorry its a little embarrassing to admit embarrasment

Arrogance is a good thing. Just ask Anakin Skywalker.

Baylin
Well my poem is pretty much written and nearly ready to go, when's this thing gonna start?

XvampbenjiiX666
its kool i was jk...i feel the same way about my work...and sometimes i dont...its weird but thats life lol

~Forever*Alone~
okay fine, I'm out.

chillmeistergen
Why?

~Forever*Alone~
Why?

cause you hate me...

Fëanor
Let me know when to submit and what theme or if any. Been a while, but I'll give it a go.

chillmeistergen
cause you hate me...

No, I don't hate you, I'm just not really a fan of your attitude.

Syren
cause you hate me...

I think it might be a good idea if you didn't enter the contest. Not because anyone hates you, more because of the rather unfair comments you're making about other peoples' work. It's perfectly ok for you to find your own work to be brilliant, but it's not ok for you to say that you hate everyone else's work.

There's no point entering a competition when you're already sure of the outcome shrug

UPDATE.

Suggestions for theme and rules?

~Forever*Alone~
okay.

cant change who i am

Sol Valentine
I'd like to join.

XvampbenjiiX666
stop the madness please..............oh what the hell im all in for the madness

Syren
okay.

cant change who i am

It's not who you are, it's the way you're acting. There's no need to be so blunt, is there?

I'm all for you joining the competition as long as you don't behave as though it's a foregone conclusion that you'll win.

~Forever*Alone~
Originally posted by Syren
It's not who you are, it's the way you're acting. There's no need to be so blunt, is there?

I'm all for you joining the competition as long as you don't behave as though it's a foregone conclusion that you'll win.

well, since i would like to join the competition, i will, try hard, to be nicer, as a matter of fact, i wont say anything accept for my poem. (otherwise)

Syren
well, since i would like to join the competition, i will, try hard, to be nicer, as a matter of fact, i wont say anything accept for my poem. (otherwise)

Or if you can't be nice, be constructive. There's nothing wrong with disliking someone's work and letting them know exactly what you don't like, perhaps giving them some idea as to how they might improve.

Just be constructive smile

Fëanor

UPDATE.

I would suggest keeping it an unfamiliar theme rather than having it be: seasonal since the holidays are fast approaching. And as some will likely feel comfortable posing such things as love unrequited, a broken heart, anger at a person, place or thing. Suicidal tendencies and some such, which I suppose pretty much eliminates a whole lot of what's written now...I suppose.

I guess what I'm saying is, rather than what we all are familiar with, have them or they or whomever write what they are not used to; think outside of the box.

If not...well hey, it was a suggestion.

As for rules, I leave that to those in the unenviable position of having to judge.

Syren
Excellent suggestion, J. I agree with having the participants 'think outside the box' - in fact, couldn't that be the general theme? Ask them to write something that is actually original and witty? A challenge in and of itself, I'm willing to bet stick out tongue

Fëanor
Excellent suggestion, J. I agree with having the participants 'think outside the box' - in fact, couldn't that be the general theme? Ask them to write something that is actually original and witty? A challenge in and of itself, I'm willing to bet stick out tongue And there lies the rub. How would one challenge themselves in writing something they themselves have not imagine them to be or thought otherwise in order to come up with something so unusual and unique to the babble they've ingrained their thought processes in however they've always written?

I think I gave myself a headache trying to answer that one, eh? But yes, I would like to see how one who is lovelorn write something they're not used to.

Syren

Fëanor
kewl...glad to be of service.

Well, whenever its ready...I've one ready to submit.

chillmeistergen
The theme's just think outside the box? Bit broad.

Syren
Well, give us something more specific then. I am asking for suggestions, after all.

It's just that we usually end up with either sickening love poems or suicidal cries for help.

chillmeistergen
Sorry, I didn't mean it as a jab. I'm not really sure on any subjects at the moment, but I'll do my best to think of some.

Yes, the 'poets' of this board do seem rather prone to pretentious whinging.

Shelbert Lemon
Im really unable to think of any themes. messed

Victor Von Doom
Innovation? Exploration? Curiosity? Mystery? The exotic?

Ordained
What is this all about? Is it really a contest?

XvampbenjiiX666
outside the box...that would be new for me...i'll try if thats the theme...and what to do you mean whiny? i'm not whining just complaining

~Bun Bun~
Hmmm "Think Outside The Box"

Pretty open but then agian that could be the fun of it. Seeing all the different views on this.

Love the idea of doing something "out of the norm"

~Forever*Alone~
i dont understand what you mean by "think outside the box"....

XvampbenjiiX666
well if im right it means to do something you would never eally do before like outside of a routine...write a poem genre that you never had before...is that right?

Victor Von Doom
Poetry is a pretty big box. Unless that 'theme' is topical and not structural, it would be hard to make work. Even then.

Syren
i dont understand what you mean by "think outside the box"....

I think that about sums it up.

How frustrating.

chillmeistergen
This country......

(Reference to: work it out yourself.)

Victor Von Doom
A-alan Partridge?

Syren
Ok, someone else take over. I can't be bothered with the contest.

XvampbenjiiX666
dont look at me

~Forever*Alone~
*fail* no

SelphieT

Wait, what?

Look what you people have done.

I'll take over if absolutely needed, I just need to know the gist of what we're doing.

~Forever*Alone~
may i take over? i really want to, and it means i cant participate, so i can be completely impartial

i warn you, i will be a total dictator, ive already got the guidlines in my head as well as themes, i say themes plural because i think it should have more than one theme.

of course, if you think i would be totally unfit i can understand...

chillmeistergen

Why? I think you seem to be the best to be in charge of it.

may i take over? i really want to, and it means i cant participate, so i can be completely impartial

i warn you, i will be a total dictator, ive already got the guidlines in my head as well as themes, i say themes plural because i think it should have more than one theme.

of course, if you think i would be totally unfit i can understand...

You've already said you hate everyones poetry on here, what's the point in you being in charge?

~Forever*Alone~
Why? I think you seem to be the best to be in charge of it.

You've already said you hate everyones poetry on here, what's the point in you being in charge?

i knew you would bring that up >.< .

i just really want this to happen.

why dont you take over?

chillmeistergen
I'd rather take part.

Syren
Stress moment, sorry.

This thread was to gauge interest and gather ideas. Already there've been negative comments and obvious disinterest.

I'll judge, alongside lil bitchiness, but we need another judge before anything goes ahead.

~Forever*Alone~
Stress moment, sorry.

This thread was to gauge interest and gather ideas. Already there've been negative comments and obvious disinterest.

I'll judge, alongside lil bitchiness, but we need another judge before anything goes ahead.

i know the answer already, but may i?

Victor Von Doom
I will judge, if you want.

Presuming this post isn't as invisible as my others.

chillmeistergen
I saw the Alan Partridge one.

Seriously though, I think VVD would be a good judge.

Victor Von Doom
Well, I do have some relevant experience.

Syren
That'd be great, VVD yes

Three's enough, I think. Usually we'll set the thread up for participants to submit their pieces, leave it open for a decided amount of time and then Milla will close it. The judges assess the submissions privately and then order them from best to 'worst', then share their decisions with one another. I think there's usually a winner and a runner up.

I don't know if you can think of another way to do it, but please feel free to make a suggestion.

Syren
Selphie, if we need another judge would you mind?

Victor Von Doom
That'd be great, VVD yes

Three's enough, I think. Usually we'll set the thread up for participants to submit their pieces, leave it open for a decided amount of time and then Milla will close it. The judges assess the submissions privately and then order them from best to 'worst', then share their decisions with one another. I think there's usually a winner and a runner up.

I don't know if you can think of another way to do it, but please feel free to make a suggestion.

Nah, that sounds ok.

Maybe as well as the joint decision, each judge could mention a favourite line or stanza, or something like that, from poems outside of the winning one and the runner-up. Just to make it a bit less of a first past the post thing, and maybe more interesting.

Syren
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Nah, that sounds ok.

Maybe as well as the joint decision, each judge could mention a favourite line or stanza, or something like that. Just to make it a bit less of a first past the post thing, and maybe more interesting.

Sounds good. In the past I've always put together a sort of 'critique' so that each contestant can see what I've personally appreciated or what I've found to be less positive, where I've felt improvements could have been made or whatever. I won't post it publicly unless asked, but I'll PM each individual regarding their piece.

So, where are we at with the theme?

Victor Von Doom
Sounds good. In the past I've always put together a sort of 'critique' so that each contestant can see what I've personally appreciated or what I've found to be less positive, where I've felt improvements could have been made or whatever. I won't post it publicly unless asked, but I'll PM each individual regarding their piece.

So, where are we at with the theme?

I suggested a few a page back, but no-one...cared.

SelphieT
Selphie, if we need another judge would you mind?

I would love to be a judge!

Definetly count me in if you need another!

Syren
Innovation? Exploration? Curiosity? Mystery? The exotic?

*cares now*

XvampbenjiiX666
hmm..im glad we got this settled down but now its just the theme...i got a question who's the guy vvd named? i dont reade poetry just write it

Syren
A-alan Partridge?

This guy? laughing out loud

chillmeistergen
hmm..im glad we got this settled down but now its just the theme...i got a question who's the guy vvd named? i dont reade poetry just write it

LOL, Alan Partridge is only like the most fantastic, upcoming urban poet from Norfolk. Christ, read more.

Syren
Alan Partridge is a fictional television and radio presenter portrayed by English comedian Steve Coogan. A parody of both sports commentators and chat show presenters, the character has appeared in two radio series, three television series and numerous TV and radio specials, including appearances on BBC's Comic Relief, which have followed the rise and fall of his career.

Wiki smile

Kenshinswife
im in tell when and i'll be ready

Victor Von Doom
*cares now*

I was trying to suggest things that made 'think outside the box' a bit less nebulous.

One of those has to work.

XvampbenjiiX666
i see now...i can look around for him...yea i'm kinda always busy to notice stuff like that...anyway ummm....i dont know

Syren
I was trying to suggest things that made 'think outside the box' a bit less nebulous.

One of those has to work.

yes

A curious mystery? Exploration of the exotic?

I think a decision needs to be made though, what's your choice?

~Forever*Alone~
i like the mystery idea....

Victor Von Doom
yes

A curious mystery? Exploration of the exotic?

I think a decision needs to be made though, what's your choice?

Not fussed luv.

Best left to the entrants to decide?

Syren
i like the mystery idea....

A curious mystery yes

Ok, I'll PM everyone who's shown interest so far to ask what they think.

chillmeistergen
Don't all mysteries sort of spark curiosity?

I personally like the idea of there being a variety of themes, that the writer may choose from.

As suggestions, I'll throw in: The power of the natural world, and the complexity of modern life. They may well be shoddy suggestions, they're just two of the themes I find to be very accessible.

Syren
A variety would be good, I agree. More scope.

I like the complexity of modern life suggestion thumb up

SelphieT
So these are just topics on what we should write about, and not styles of poetry, right?

Hmmm.

Making the simplest things complex/seem complex, life (excluding human life), and.....eh, I don't know.

Syren
Not styles of poetry, that's left to the poet to decide. Just the theme smile

XvampbenjiiX666
i'm hooked on the ideas i like them...so we can have our own theme but they have to be about what was named up there like a dark mystery poem or something...i was kinda thinking like writing a story poem...just an idea

Ordained
It may have already been suggested but I like the idea of writing about confusion.

~Bun Bun~
Good ideas so far!! yes

I'm horrible at coming up with themes prolly has to do with me being more of a follower than a leader But...

The ideas I liked the most were, Mysterie, The power of the natural world, and the complexity of modern life.

Vinny Valentine
Autumn/October/Halloween

All Relevant.

Sweet Escape
Hm... I'm really up for anything stick out tongue

Ordained
Originally posted by ~Bun Bun~
Good ideas so far!! yes

The complexity of modern life.
This one is my favorite. I wanted to say it but I just didn't know how to put it into words.

Syren
Originally posted by Vinny Valentine
Autumn/October/Halloween

All Relevant.

Yawnsome, though wink

Victor Von Doom
Complexity idea is possibly a bit narrow.

Leo.M
How about something depressing. I'd win that. smile

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Vinny Valentine
Autumn/October/Halloween

All Relevant.

We could make glittery Christmas cards as well, couldn't we? Oh please, can we? Can we?

Complexity idea is possibly a bit narrow.

Fair point.

SelphieT
We could make glittery Christmas cards as well, couldn't we? Oh please, can we? Can we?

eek! I'd give you one!

chillmeistergen
Filth, utter filth.

Baylin
I'm all for the complexity of life theme!

XvampbenjiiX666
i'm in for anything right now

Kenshinswife
well i think mystery can be tied in with that idea. The whole mystery about life's complexties. Ya know...y its so complex, examples of how its complex, the ways complexties effect people...just throwing somethings out there....either one is fine by me..their kind of similar and you can take them by diffrent angles

Leo.M
Why don't we just do a free for all? Every poet can write what he or she wishes on to express themselves. In my mind I believe the best poems are written with the writers own free train of thought. Not this thing of picking a genre and writing a poem on it.

Thats my 2 cents on this. srug

Syren
Contests have to have some sort of boundaries, that's the point. It's about challenging the participants to work within set limitations, to see what they can come up with.

These contests are thematic and always have a deadline.

XvampbenjiiX666
true...ummm i got nothing i like kenshins wife's idea about mixing the two

~Bun Bun~
Vinny had a point, halloween/fall themes would fit the time. Doing something for halloween i think would be fun and interesting.

Fëanor
Well, give us something more specific then. I am asking for suggestions, after all.

It's just that we usually end up with either sickening love poems or suicidal cries for help. Apparently everyone seems to be in a bit of confusion as to what "think outside of the box" is...in short, it means--to those who wish to submit a piece of work--to write something you don't normally always do: love poems, suicidal tendencies, teen angst or the cornucopia of prosaic grizzle. Not to say any of that is good. But the challenge is...can you create a thing you're not normally accustomed to? Not you Sy, but to those who fail to grasp that overly vague if not specific phrase. Sort that one out, eh?

well if im right it means to do something you would never eally do before like outside of a routine...write a poem genre that you never had before...is that right? Exactly.

chillmeistergen
Fair enough then, I'll write a haiku about recycling.

Syren
laughing

Ok, here's my take on this.

I genuinely liked the 'Think outside the box' idea. I think it gives plenty of scope for the participants, especially when you consider that the majority of you seem to want more freedom. Initially I was just going to provide one theme, a couple of weeks and a thread to post them in. I do agree, however, that although limitations must be set in place, a little more leeway would be a good idea.

So, with that in mind, any more offers? stick out tongue

Sol Valentine
Hm, I would like to suggest something like thinking outside the box with a dream-like theme, but reading inbetween the lines shows something about the real world.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Sol Valentine
Hm, I would like to suggest something like thinking outside the box with a dream-like theme, but reading inbetween the lines shows something about the real world.

You've already written your poem, haven't you?

Seriously though, unless 'thinking outside the box' can be made more specific, it'll just be a free-for-all.

Maybe the Halloween thing would be OK. Not necessarily Halloween itself, but maybe that kind of tone/influence.

Maybe nightmare?

XvampbenjiiX666
i'm liking it, so your saying an outside the box halloween theme?

Sol Valentine
You've already written your poem, haven't you?

Seriously though, unless 'thinking outside the box' can be made more specific, it'll just be a free-for-all.

Maybe the Halloween thing would be OK. Not necessarily Halloween itself, but maybe that kind of tone/influence.

Maybe nightmare?

I meant if you read carefully in the poems, you'll see a bit of the real world and the important things that affect it today.

big gay kirk
i like the idea of a poem about modern life.. to set a definite boundary, how about a poem about the complexity of modern human relationships written rom the pov of an inanimate object.... thats a bit outside some sort of box...

Victor Von Doom
Maybe a poll is the answer.

Syren
I've made a poll thread. All of the suggestions put forward in this thread have been included.

XvampbenjiiX666
hey...poll huh? well maybe itll work

Bardock42
Is this going to happen anytime?

vivando-loca
i'm up for anything smile

my preference varies...daily. stick out tongue

how about abstract poems?

Syren
vivanda, you're a touch late hun. We've already had the poll and a decision has been made.

"Modern Life" smile

Bardock42
vivanda, you're a touch late hun. We've already had the poll and a decision has been made.

"Modern Life" smile Actually it was "Complexity of modern life", but hell, who cares about a little bit of electoral fraud.

Victor Von Doom
It's a benevolent dictatorship.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.