Comic Book Physics 101.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darthgoober
Ok so we've all seen some things go down in comics that seem to fly in the face of real world physics, so this is the place to ask questions and get details on some of the specifics involving them from some of the more academically inclined KMC members. Things like...

1. How hard would Captain America have had to throw his shield to hit that missile?

2. How much force does it really take to push a planet?

And consider theoretical questions fair game also. For instance...

Suppose some hero(who has superspeed) is capable of throwing a punch at 10 times the speed of sound. Now I know that a sonic boom is created by an object surpassing the sound of it's own movement(or at least something to that effect) so my question is what happens when the hero throws 3 punches at 10 times the speed of sound and they all land before the sound waves of the initial punch reach the target? Think about it, it seems like there should be one sonic boom for the initial punch, another when the heroes hand reverses it's direction and breaks the sound barrier again, and then TWO more as the second punch passes it's own sound waves and the sound waves of the first punch, one more for the reverse in direction again, and then THREE more as the third punch passes all three sets of sound waves. So there should be 8 sonic booms going off at pretty much the same instant as a result of the three punches. Now am I right, or is my line of thinking off?

Symmetric Chaos
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t49/SymmetricChaos/catgirls.gif

*ahem*

Carry on then.

Originally posted by darthgoober
Suppose some hero(who has superspeed) is capable of throwing a punch at 10 times the speed of sound. Now I know that a sonic boom is created by an object surpassing the sound of it's own movement(or at least something to that effect) so my question is what happens when the hero throws 3 punches at 10 times the speed of sound and they all land before the sound waves of the initial punch reach the target? Think about it, it seems like there should be one sonic boom for the initial punch, another when the heroes hand reverses it's direction and breaks the sound barrier again, and then TWO more as the second punch passes it's own sound waves and the sound waves of the first punch, one more for the reverse in direction again, and then THREE more as the third punch passes all three sets of sound waves. So there should be 8 sonic booms going off at pretty much the same instant as a result of the three punches. Now am I right, or is my line of thinking off?

Probably more. The shape of the fist and arm would create extra booms just as the shape of a plane causes the classic double boom.

darthgoober
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t49/SymmetricChaos/catgirls.gif

*ahem*

Carry on then.

I know the perils involved due to the nature of comics themselves, but EVERYONE thinks of these things at one point in time or another, so I figured it'd be cool to give some of our physics majors a chance to show off their talents by answering some of the more common questions.

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Probably more. The shape of the fist and arm would create extra booms just as the shape of a plane causes the classic double boom.
Yeah now that I think about it, there should probably also be additional booms because the heroes fist will be passing the "booms" themselves.

Galan007
Originally posted by darthgoober
Yeah now that I think about it, there should probably also be additional booms because the heroes fist will be passing the "booms" themselves. Perhaps punches at superspeed simply cut through the air/atmosphere. srug

Creshosk
Actually due to the size you really couldn't call them sonic booms.

http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetail/assetid/17894
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/barrier/boom/answer3.html

So due to the smaller size of the fist you'd probably only get one good crack.

And when moving at that velocity is actully rather like moving faster than the air or air pressure can get out of the way, so the air acts sort of like a liquid. Thunder is also a naturally occuring form of sonic boom as it is generally the recollision of the displaced air that causes the boom in the first place, by moving at supersonic speeds in a limited area such as the path of a fist and moving back into the dispalaced air, you'd probably get at most one or two "cracks".

Soljer
Originally posted by Galan007
Perhaps punches at superspeed simply cut through the air/atmosphere. srug

Perhaps you should shut your whore mouth!

mad!! mad!! mad!!

Errr...

Pardon me, I really don't know where that came from, stick out tongue.

But I agree; let us leave physics OUT of the things that don't make sense.

masterbruce
Originally posted by Soljer

let us leave physics OUT of the things that don't make sense.

yeah, I'm a sciency guy, so alot of stuff in comics annoy me when I try to apply science and logic...so I just don't anymore.

Soljer
Originally posted by masterbruce
yeah, I'm a sciency guy, so alot of stuff in comics annoy me when I try to apply science and logic...so I just don't anymore.

laughing
laughing
laughing

Masterbruce? Science? Logic?

laughing
laughing
laughing

Harry Fingerman
laughing
laughing
laughing

Masterbruce? Science? Logic?

laughing
laughing
laughing Comics?

Soljer
Originally posted by Harry Fingerman
Comics?

Good point!

"I read a comic once in Barnes & Noble!"

"Well, most of one...."

JasonK4

So you're a "sciency guy" with 150 IQ? Sweet...

Soljer
Originally posted by JasonK4
So you're a "sciency guy" with 150 IQ? Sweet...

And he's as strong as Captain America, and as skilled as Batman.

Don't forget.

JasonK4

Don't forget.
laughing out loud

Btw, I downloaded some Iron Fist issues and his appearances, so let me know if you need any scans for the respect thread.

masterbruce

Don't forget. Actually I never said either. I said I'm very close to peak human though, which I am.

Battlehammer
...................lol..............I bet I could snape you into.........and your a nerdy 130 pound weakling or..........a really fat guy

Battlehammer
he also said he was some master martial artist or some crap..........yet said did not know of the nerve cluster in the soulder area........

NiņoAraņa
Actually I never said either. I said I'm very close to peak human though, which I am. yet we've never seen not even a vauge picture. no expression

NiņoAraņa
Originally posted by Battlehammer
...................lol..............I bet I could snape you into.........and your a nerdy 130 pound weakling or..........a really fat guy hey hey hey. i resent that 130 pound weakling thing!

Rufus Doofus
catgirls....hot

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Rufus Doofus
catgirls....hot

yes

manjaro
i fainlty remenber zoom (zolomon) cuasing massive sonic booms that blew out windows and knocked everyone off thier feet, just by snapping his fingers at several times the speed of sound

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.