Which Marvel characters would benefit most from ability to fly?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

masterbruce
Stark Industries has developed a implantable nano-device that completely eliminates the gravitational field around wearer's body and allows the wearer to fly at speeds up to hypersonic speeds.

Which Marvel characters would benefit the most from this newfound ability to fly and why?

nvrbeenwthagirl
Any blaster who can't already fly. Like cyclops, Havok, ect. Or any Telepath who doesn't have Tk.

masterbruce
Hulk and Wolverine would also both become much greater threats.

Blur
Originally posted by masterbruce
Hulk and Wolverine would also both become much greater threats. Of all the THOUSANDS of characters you would choose them.

masterbruce
Originally posted by Blur
Of all the THOUSANDS of characters you would choose them. yes, they're the most important characters in marvel

and both of them would be exponentially more dangerous with the ability to fly since they are both extremely durable

a flying wolverine would give thor trouble (unless he resorts to his fancy powers)

tru-marvell
Punisher! do i really need to explain?

Balder the brave

Thing...since he's outclassed by the true heavy hitters ie, Hulk, Thor, Wonderman, this ability would give him a nice boost (no pun intended)

llagrok
Hercules.

Soljer
Originally posted by tru-marvell

Balder the brave

Thing...since he's outclassed by the true heavy hitters ie, Hulk, Thor, Wonderman, this ability would give him a nice boost (no pun intended)

I don't think so.

I mean, it wouldn't hurt, but the Thing doesn't really have long range attacks besides "throw something at them."

He'd still have to get up close and personal to be a threat - where he'd get stomped on like normal.

erm.

Kurash
Hulk and Wolverine would also both become much greater threats.

flyin would benefit the hulk in no way

Soljer
Originally posted by Kurash
flyin would benefit the hulk in no way

Sure it would.

No one would be able to say "He just flies out of range and pelts him...blah blah blah."

Same with Wolverine.

tru-marvell
yea but he could get away pretty quick...or at least greatly inhance sneek attacks

Soljer
yea but he could get away pretty quick...or at least greatly inhance sneek attacks

True, but I don't see the power of flight changing up the X/10 he gets against the heavy hitters.

Kurash
yea but with flight how would the hulk fight someone like IronMan? IM gets out of range, huc follows, now huc has lost all of his long range attacks because he cant throw anything. IM continues to fly backwards blasting huc repeatedly while huc chases . . . gettin hit over and over again. Also do you think huc would be to graceful while flying? Imagine hehe

Soljer
yea but with flight how would the hulk fight someone like IronMan? IM gets out of range, huc follows, now huc has lost all of his long range attacks because he cant throw anything. IM continues to fly backwards blasting huc repeatedly while huc chases . . . gettin hit over and over again. Also do you think huc would be to graceful while flying? Imagine hehe

Current Huc?

Absolutely.

He's getting smarter, he's planning strategy, I could see him using 'evasive' maneuvers.

And, hell, who knows how fast he could go - Bruce only specified hypersonic, no certain level of it. He may be faster than Iron Man - erm.

And, if the Hulk's speed and flight capabilities were tied to his rage like everything else is, well, that'd just be frightening, no?

masterbruce
yea but with flight how would the hulk fight someone like IronMan? IM gets out of range, huc follows, now huc has lost all of his long range attacks because he cant throw anything. IM continues to fly backwards blasting huc repeatedly while huc chases . . . gettin hit over and over again. Also do you think huc would be to graceful while flying? Imagine hehe so this continues until IM runs out of juice...while Hulk is now pissed off beyond belief and crushes IM when he catches up to him

see how that wouldn't be possible if Hulk can't fly

Soljer
so this continues until IM runs out of juice...while Hulk is now pissed off beyond belief and crushes IM when he catches up to him

see how that wouldn't be possible if Hulk can't fly

Technically, the exact same is possible if the Hulk couldn't fly.

Unless you'd suppose Iron Man would use his flight to go recharge in mid-battle, and return.

In which case, he's voluntarily leaving the field of battle, and, thus, loses according to 'forum' rules.

Kurash
Originally posted by Soljer
Current Huc?

Absolutely.

He's getting smarter, he's planning strategy, I could see him using 'evasive' maneuvers.

And, hell, who knows how fast he could go - Bruce only specified hypersonic, no certain level of it. He may be faster than Iron Man - erm.

And, if the Hulk's speed and flight capabilities were tied to his rage like everything else is, well, that'd just be frightening, no?

yea i was assuming he wasnt given superspeed like travel, just the ability to fly, but i can see what you mean

Soljer
yea i was assuming he wasnt given superspeed like travel, just the ability to fly, but i can see what you mean

Masterbruce said hypersonic, which is pretty damned quick....

We need a better number, bruce! Hypersonic is too vague!

masterbruce
Masterbruce said hypersonic, which is pretty damned quick....

We need a better number, bruce! Hypersonic is too vague! low-end hypersonic

Kurash
didnt read the first post just skimmed, my bad

Soljer
low-end hypersonic

Numbers, damnit! Hypersonic can, pretty much, refer to anything betwen mach 5 and 'low' fractions of C.

masterbruce
Numbers, damnit! Hypersonic can, pretty much, refer to anything betwen mach 5 and 'low' fractions of C. the nanoimplant allows flight up to Mach 12 - but it doesn't protect the wearer from the forces experienced at that speed...so wearer beware

Soljer
Better. Gracias. smile.

masterbruce
Better. Gracias. smile. welcome. cool

Harry Fingerman
Wolverine.

He'd be like flying scissors.

SevenShackles
Havok, Pyro, Bishop

Alfheim
If Hulk could fly people would be well and truly ****ed

nimbus006
Electro- Even though he should be able to fly with his new powers over magnetic fields.
Surge
Dr. Octopus
Bishop
Gambit
Sue Storm
Hawkeye
Emma Frost
Shadowcat
Ghost Rider- (Even though he is cooler grounded on the bike)
Thanos- he can teleprt and i think can levitate, but not really fly

Trolt
if the Blob could fly that would be devastating

Symmetric Chaos
Hulk
Captain America
Wolverine
Sentry

janus77
Spiderman,
Amadeus Cho,
Hulk (obviously),
Cyclops.

Amadeus Cho would be the most interesting one with flight powers. he'd have to invent some sort of protection suit, some lasers and such but, imagine what he could stop with a grape once he's got mach-speeds behind him!

Gecko4lif
hmm...... iron fist

a mach 12 chi fist hitting you in the face.... sweet.....

Soljer
Originally posted by Gecko4lif
hmm...... iron fist

a mach 12 chi fist hitting you in the face.... sweet.....

After that...

What face?

Gecko4lif

After that...

What face?

Face?!?!? all i see is a gaping hole!

Soljer
Face?!?!? all i see is a gaping hole!

Unlikely...

Orson Randall punched people in half with the Iron Fist.

They'd be a smear on the ground....

Gecko4lif
Unlikely...

Orson Randall punched people in half with the Iron Fist.

They'd be a smear on the ground....

Ever heard of the pink mist?

Soljer

laughing.

Symmetric Chaos

*signals the SWAT team to move in*

Mindship
And, if the Hulk's speed and flight capabilities were tied to his rage like everything else is, well, that'd just be frightening, no? That would be sooo cool.

Numbers, damnit! Hypersonic can, pretty much, refer to anything betwen mach 5 and 'low' fractions of C. If the average man can press 100 pounds, then for the Hulk to press 100 tons means he's about 2000x stronger than your average joe.

Average joe can move at about 20 mph, either in running or reflex speed. If we keep strength and speed proportional in the Hulk, this means he can move at 40,000mph. That's over Mach 50. And this is when he's calm.

Angry, we've seen the Hulk lift millions of tons, tens of thousands of times his base strength. Speed proportional to this level of strength would mean the Big Guy can zip along faster than Mach 500,000. The speed of light is not quite Mach 900,000.

Yeah. It would be very cool.

Hannibal-Lector
I dont really think Hulk will benefit THAT much since he already can leap to the point where its close to flying...

I say Xavier

Soljer
Originally posted by Hannibal-Lector
I dont really think Hulk will benefit THAT much since he already can leap to the point where its close to flying...

I say Xavier

Hulk leaping:

"Oh, look, enemy XYZ is a mile in THAT direction!" *jumps*.

Enemy:

*sidesteps*

Hulk:

"Shit."

masterbruce
Hulk leaping:

Enemy:

*sidesteps*

Hulk:

"Shit." although in comics, fliers seem unable to take that one meter sidestep to avoid a leaper

Hannibal-Lector
although in comics, fliers seem unable to take that one meter sidestep to avoid a leaper

exactly... although on the forum people do fight differently...

Symmetric Chaos
Hulk leaping:

Enemy:

*sidesteps*

Hulk:

"Shit."

Of course one could argue the reason people never do that is because he simply jumps too fast!

But I would never say that because someone would flame me.

Soljer
exactly... although on the forum people do fight differently...

If by differently you mean 'not like a complete and utter retard.'

smile.

masterbruce
exactly... although on the forum people do fight differently... but that would make a hilarious comic....have Sentry just shift a meter while Hulk leaps helplessly back to earth...an entire issue filled with Hulk futilely trying to get at Sentry

Soljer
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Of course one could argue the reason people never do that is because he simply jumps too fast!

But I would never say that because someone would flame me.

Parabola.

Gravity.

Hulk.

Gravity.

Projectile motion.

Okay - I think that's plenty of dots for you to connect.

Symmetric Chaos

Parabola.

Gravity.

Hulk.

Gravity.

Projectile motion.

Okay - I think that's plenty of dots for you to connect.

Really really really really really fast jumping no expression

Thats seven (7) words and one (1) smiley for you.

Hannibal-Lector

I dont understand this fancy medical lingo...

Soljer

Jumping fast doesn't increase gravitational acceleration.

He could try jumping in a lower arc if he wished - but he's never shown the ability to do that over long distances.

He's jumped hundreds of miles with a single leap, but he always hits the clouds to do so.

Symmetric Chaos
Jumping fast doesn't increase gravitational acceleration.

He could try jumping in a lower arc if he wished - but he's never shown the ability to do that over long distances.

He's jumped hundreds of miles with a single leap, but he always hits the clouds to do so.

. . .

How does that apply to people being unable to dodge? confused

endrict

Hulk would have plenty of range..he can throw cars, trucks and houses while flying.

endrict
Yah Hulk and Logan are good picks

Soljer
. . .

How does that apply to people being unable to dodge? confused

Have you ever done any (slight) bit of projectile motion?

His speed in the negative Z direction (with typical three dimensional coordinate system) will be wholly based on gravitational acceleration.

Hannibal-Lector

His speed in the negative Z direction (with typical three dimensional coordinate system) will be wholly based on gravitational acceleration.

Its a good thing comics involve so much science....

Symmetric Chaos

Yup. Just about failed too.

masterbruce

His speed in the negative Z direction (with typical three dimensional coordinate system) will be wholly based on gravitational acceleration. but on the upward path of his jump, Hulk could potentially be moving fast enough to catch fliers

Soljer
but on the upward path of his jump, Hulk could potentially be moving fast enough to catch fliers

Depending upon their height, it's possible, though most fliers are more than capable of flying out of his reach, or at least high enough that his velocity will have slowed tremendously by the time he reaches them.

And, besides that, I was talking more about someone on the GROUND a distance away. If the Hulk leaps in that direction, the person on the ground will see a hulk falling out of the sky no faster than terminal velocity. Easy to sidestep.

masterbruce

And, besides that, I was talking more about someone on the GROUND a distance away. If the Hulk leaps in that direction, the person on the ground will see a hulk falling out of the sky no faster than terminal velocity. Easy to sidestep. right, since Hulk's downward path is completely constrained by gravity

Symmetric Chaos
Depending upon their height, it's possible, though most fliers are more than capable of flying out of his reach, or at least high enough that his velocity will have slowed tremendously by the time he reaches them.

If he starts at a high enough speed I don't see why he couldn't grab a flier. Hasn't Hulk caught up with jets in the past?

And, besides that, I was talking more about someone on the GROUND a distance away. If the Hulk leaps in that direction, the person on the ground will see a hulk falling out of the sky no faster than terminal velocity. Easy to sidestep.

Changing your argument is you? mad

But yeah it would be relatively easy to sidestep any falling large object (god that sounds sarcastic)

Soljer
right, since Hulk's downward path is completely constrained by gravity

I'm unsure if you're being sarcastic or not - but of course it isn't.

His velocity, and therefore his path, will be the resultant vector of the velocity attained through gravitational acceleration, and the velocity remaining from his initial y-displacement, minus anything lost to friction, obviously.

Harry Fingerman
Sentry.

Soljer
If he starts at a high enough speed I don't see why he couldn't grab a flier. Hasn't Hulk caught up with jets in the past?

Changing your argument is you? mad

But yeah it would be relatively easy to sidestep any falling large object (god that sounds sarcastic)

I'm not changing my argument.

When I first posted, I was talking about someone standing on the ground - hence sideSTEP.

Hard to step if you're in the air...

Symmetric Chaos
I'm not changing my argument.

When I first posted, I was talking about someone standing on the ground - hence sideSTEP.

Hard to step if you're in the air...

What word/phrase would you use for a person in the air?

masterbruce
I'm unsure if you're being sarcastic or not - but of course it isn't.

His velocity, and therefore his path, will be the resultant vector of the velocity attained through gravitational acceleration, and the velocity remaining from his initial y-displacement, minus anything lost to friction, obviously. no I wasn't being sarcastic. frankly, I don't have the phsyics knowledge you seem to have, but I thought that the downward fall of pretty much any object barring air resistance is pretty much the same from a given distance. Even if there is variation, it is too minute to effect the speed much.

Soljer
What word/phrase would you use for a person in the air?

*flies out of the way*. doped.

masterbruce
What word/phrase would you use for a person in the air? hover aside stick out tongue

Soljer
no I wasn't being sarcastic. frankly, I don't have the phsyics knowledge you seem to have, but I thought that the downward fall of pretty much any object barring air resistance is pretty much the same from a given distance. Even if there is variation, it is too minute to effect the speed much.

You're right - the downward velocity will be solely based upon gravity.

However, his path will be parabolic, and will be dictated by his initial velocity as well.

masterbruce

However, his path will be parabolic, and will be dictated by his initial velocity as well. yep

Symmetric Chaos
hover aside stick out tongue

*flies out of the way*. doped.

You're both reported for make valid suggestions.

Doctor-Alvis
If you gave Angel flight, nobody would be able to stop him.

SnazzySmurph
Karnak
Bullseye
Gamora
Cyclops

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by SnazzySmurph
Bullseye

That would be sick.

masterbruce
That would be sick. yeah, he'd be far up in the clouds, just tossing pennies and killing people left and right

TricksterPriest
yeah, he'd be far up in the clouds, just tossing pennies and killing people left and right

Hell, you get high up enough, you don't even have to aim. I heard that just dropping a penny from the top of the Seattle Space Needle will make it go 2 feet into concrete.

Soljer
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Hell, you get high up enough, you don't even have to aim. I heard that just dropping a penny from the top of the Seattle Space Needle will make it go 2 feet into concrete.

Then you heard wrong.

darthgoober
Nah, a penny doesn't have the mass to penetrate concrete(learned that on Mythbusters).

SnazzySmurph
Originally posted by darthgoober
Nah, a penny doesn't have the mass to penetrate concrete(learned that on Mythbusters). Great episode, that was.

endrict
Doomsday

Soljer
Originally posted by endrict
Doomsday

Didn't know Marvel bought the rights to him.

endrict
Ohh Marvel...doh.

TricksterPriest
Originally posted by darthgoober
Nah, a penny doesn't have the mass to penetrate concrete(learned that on Mythbusters).

Really? Interesting. So would a 50 cent piece work? dur

endrict
Well in that case...Mangog.

darthgoober
Hell I don't know, they didn't try that. But I kinda doubt it since they showed that a penny won't even break human skin.

Symmetric Chaos

Doubt it. Plus eventually people would go inside and ignore the idiot dropping coins on them.

endrict
A Toonie will work though!!!

masterbruce
Really? Interesting. So would a 50 cent piece work? dur no, coins really suffer from air resistance

Soljer
no, coins really suffer from air resistance

No more than anything else does.

It's the surface area to mass ratio, and completely un-aerodynamic design that makes them annoying but totally non-lethal.

Bouboumaster
Hulk would be the ownage machine with the ability to fly.

Soljer
Originally posted by Bouboumaster
Hulk would be the ownage machine with the ability to fly.

He wouldn't be that much more powerful than he currently is.

I mean, who exactly could be beat THEN, that he couldn't beat now? erm.

He'd still beat on Iron Man.

He'd still lose 10/10 to Superman.

Not much changes.

Tron
Moving...

grey fox
Doom.

He doesn't need it , but it'd make him more bad-ass.

Apolloknight
Juggernaut

Hitman911

Balder the brave

Thor can fly

Mindship
He wouldn't be that much more powerful than he currently is.
I mean, who exactly could be beat THEN, that he couldn't beat now? erm.
He'd still beat on Iron Man.
He'd still lose 10/10 to Superman.
Not much changes.
I'm not so sure.

You yourself mentioned in a prior post...And, if the Hulk's speed and flight capabilities were tied to his rage like everything else is, well, that'd just be frightening, no? ...at which point I showed in a prior post that the Hulk's speed could begin to approach that of light. Even moreso, if we assume his strength potential is infinite (not an unreasonable assumption), then keeping strength and speed proportional would equate to potentially infinite speed (I imagine Hulk would reach superluminal velocities the same way Superman does: by the writers completely ignoring relativistic effects).

With potentially infinite strength, speed and flying ability -- plus the tactical mindset -- WWH would be a worse nightmare than Doomsday.

Soljer
Originally posted by Mindship
I'm not so sure.

You yourself mentioned in a prior post......at which point I showed in a prior post that the Hulk's speed could begin to approach that of light. Even moreso, if we assume his strength potential is infinite (not an unreasonable assumption), then keeping strength and speed proportional would equate to potentially infinite speed (I imagine Hulk would reach superluminal velocities the same way Superman does: by the writers completely ignoring relativistic effects).

With potentially infinite strength, speed and flying ability -- plus the tactical mindset -- WWH would be a worse nightmare than Doomsday.

Nah - because this speed ISN'T tied to his anger.

He can fly at Mach 12. That's what the thread grants him.

It doesn't grant him anything else, and, as far as I can tell, it doesn't even grant him the reaction speed necessary to navigate within constrained spaces at that speed.

Just the ability to fly at mach 12.

Meaning, it's damn near irrelevant to the big guns that stomp him, and to the smaller guns that the Hulk beats.

Mindship
Uhhmmm...

Unless this Jet Pack happens to be wired into his brain, why the hell would his Jet Pack's speed be proportional to his anger? Jetpack? Isn't that another thread? Have they been merged?

Anyway, the speed-proportional-to-his-anger was originally mentioned by you. I was just building on it.

Soljer
Originally posted by Mindship
Jetpack? Isn't that another thread? Have they been merged?

Anyway, the speed-proportional-to-his-anger was originally mentioned by you. I was just building on it.

laughing

I'm retarded. My bad. Had it open in another tab, I guess, and cross posted.

stick out tongue.

Fixed! stick out tongue.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.