What would you do to improve the comic book business?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

masterbruce
Some of my suggestions:

1. make comics 60 pages rather than 30

2. have fewer core titles so as not to confuse consumers (ie. there's so many different superman titles, spiderman titles, it gets confusing for an average person)

3. enforce some consistency in the quality of art

masterbruce
wrong forum

endrict
Writers and Artist are signed on for atleast 20 issues, instead of them doing 5 and the rest of the run sucks.

Have less stupid ads in the comics

masterbruce
Originally posted by endrict

Have less stupid ads in the comics ads lower the cost of comics though

Endless Mike
They could at least put all the ads at the beginning or the end, instead of having one every other page

Soljer
Originally posted by Endless Mike
They could at least put all the ads at the beginning or the end, instead of having one every other page

And then no one would pay any attention to them. That's the point of advertisement. To put it someplace someone will see it.

lando005
make deaths stick, make strength and powerlevels for humanoids more realistic

endrict
Originally posted by Soljer
And then no one would pay any attention to them. That's the point of advertisement. To put it someplace someone will see it.

And to get annoyed?

Soljer
Originally posted by endrict
And to get annoyed?

If advertisement didn't work, corporations wouldn't shell out so much cash for it.

I agree, I hate advertisements. However, they work. They aren't going anywhere.

Darth_Erebus2
Originally posted by masterbruce
Some of my suggestions:

2. have fewer core titles so as not to confuse consumers (ie. there's so many different superman titles, spiderman titles, it gets confusing for an average person)

This is a great suggestion.

Also, there are too many different versions of the same character in numerous cases.

Hyperion 07
If advertisement didn't work, corporations wouldn't shell out so much cash for it.

I agree, I hate advertisements. However, they work. They aren't going anywhere. I have never even glanced at an add. I don't know about anyone else.

Soljer
Originally posted by Hyperion 07
I have never even glanced at an add. I don't know about anyone else.

I always skip em - I don't think advertising has ever (consciously, at least?) provoked me to buy something.

Fact of the matter is, though, obviously the ads increase sales enough to cover the ads themselves and then some - or they wouldn't exist. Profit's all that matters, after all.

Kutulu
I have never even glanced at an add. I don't know about anyone else.

Well try actually buying a comic from the store instead of downloading them for free, and you might get to see an add or two.
pan

pr1983
Some of my suggestions:

1. make comics 60 pages rather than 30

3. enforce some consistency in the quality of art

you realise that the kinds of comics you're talking about would take more than a month to bring out?

i'll take two 30 pagers a month apart over a 60 page comic i have to wait 2 months for...

fewer core titles is good in theory, but try fitting the x-men into one or two books per month and seeing how well they do...

superman has two books (within the dcu), everything else is elseworlds, so to speak...

also, moving...

Validus
Hang Rob Liefeld

pr1983
Originally posted by Validus
Hang Rob Liefeld

and chris bachalo...

masterbruce
How about have artists chosen by fan voting? that way, crappy artists will have to find another job while the good ones get rewarded

masterbruce
Originally posted by pr1983
you realise that the kinds of comics you're talking about would take more than a month to bring out?

i'll take two 30 pagers a month apart over a 60 page comic i have to wait 2 months for...

fewer core titles is good in theory, but try fitting the x-men into one or two books per month and seeing how well they do...

superman has two books (within the dcu), everything else is elseworlds, so to speak...

also, moving... perhaps 60 was too much, but make it 45 pages long.

and have CONCRETE deadlines, so comics are always on time...there's no reason for delays

Validus
I don't see the need for longer comics. All you'd do is drive up the price.

pr1983
perhaps 60 was too much, but make it 45 pages long.

and have CONCRETE deadlines, so comics are always on time...there's no reason for delays

the deadlines i'd agree on... too many comics get bogged down by delays...

masterbruce
Originally posted by Validus
I don't see the need for longer comics. All you'd do is drive up the price. longer comics can allow more depth and plot per issue

i just feel a 30 page comic is kinda too short

i think people would pay 3.95 for a 45 pg comic

Validus
Please. People complain about 2.99

Harry Fingerman
Advertise comics on packs of cigarettes.

Have Wolverine do something incredibly amazing every week.

Have fights where people go down, instead of like trade three blows.
Like, instead of Spider-Man stalemating Wolverine, he rips him in half.

Have massive comic related theme parks.

Have character months. Like, for one whole month, Spider-Man beats everyone, who he fights.

Huge crossover events.

pr1983

cmack
stop the pis, also make easy access to comic books, more advertisement,focus more on character development rather than mutiple entities of one character,create a fan base by advertising on television, also get at least some animated series on that does the comics justice

Harry Fingerman
Oh, and kill off a popular character or so, once a year...

Soljer
Originally posted by Harry Fingerman
Oh, and kill off a popular character or so, once a year...

No - kill off the BEST SELLING character of the year.

Badabing
Have the writers stay with the spirit of the characters conception......or maybe know something about the characters. Get back to basics and tell a good story with decent art and get away from shock factors. Avengers Classic is on sale again. Yeah, the dialogue is a bit sappy but interesting.

Oh yeah, make the Batkick>>>>>any other attack in DC and make sure Hulk doesn't lose......EVER!

Harry Fingerman
Originally posted by Badabing
Oh yeah, make the Batkick>>>>>any other attack in DC Like this?
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o106/bigbran1/superbat004_18.jpg
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o106/bigbran1/superbat004_20.jpg

Badabing
Like this?
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o106/bigbran1/superbat004_20.jpg eek! laughing Exactly like that. Bran ftw! w00t

Rufus T Firefly
remove Joe Quesada no expression

masterbruce
Like this?
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o106/bigbran1/superbat004_20.jpg wow...Batman's leg should have fractured into pieces from tthat...Shazam moving at that speed would be like a friggin Mack Truck ramming into Bat's kick

Harry Fingerman
wow...Batman's leg should have fractured into pieces from tthat...Shazam moving at that speed would be like a friggin Mack Truck ramming into Bat's kick Ya buh... Batman's kick turned him back into Billy...

AND, Superman did absolutely no damage to him, so Billy was in tip top shape.

So, obviously, his leg wouldn't have shattered. stick out tongue

tjcoady
hm.

expand the genre. The Big Two act as if superhero comics are the only reason they exist. the HUGE sales of Vertigo suggest otherwise.

stop producing just for the fans. simplify- make it easier for new readers to come in. Beasts like X-Men, Legion of Superheroes, things like that, have such convulated and impossible plotlines that a lot of people who would be interested in them are blocked out.

Personally I'd like to see a bit more intellegence in comics. I'm the first person to fall in love with something like World War Hulk which is just Hulk kicking everyone's ass, but not all comics need to be focused on things like that. Book's like Ostrander's Suicide Squad or Morrisson's JLA show that you can produce a product that is clever, intellegent, accessible, and worth reading, using nothing but the basics of the genre- big superhero teams fighting people.

Symmetric Chaos
Retcon everything and start over using the opinions of people on the internet.

willRules
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Retcon everything and start over using the opinions of people on the internet.

laughing

Black Adam
take the Japanese approach to comics....

Hyperion 07
Originally posted by Black Adam
take the Japanese approach to comics.... Um...No. no expression

Erik-Lensherr
Weekly releases of a comic book title. It really annoys me to have to wait a month for another comic book of the same series to appear . This way, a storyline would last 2-3 months at most . It really bothered me to have to wait 5 months for Magneto to appear in the recent Uncanny Arc and then to see that he appears in only a few pages . Not to mention that the story was moving very slowly .
I don't really need the comic books to have more pages than they currently have as long as it's weekly .

Events or major storylines also shouldn't involve many comic book titles (Civil War for example) because that doesn't make a better story , it's only a cheap way to steal money by putting the etiquete of the event on certain comics .

Stories to advance more faster . I mean it . Just look at Mighty Avengers or like I said , the not so long ago finished Uncanny X-Men arc . Things are moving so slowly and with a month between the comics it's actually pretty annoying .

Better art in some of the comic book titles . I just simply didn't enjoy reading the X-Men comic book with that art . I just simply found it horrible , and have heard many other people also complain about it .

And there are more but I'm just going to stop here .

Black Adam
Um...No. no expression

why not?

besides the color thing.

Hyperion 07
why not?

besides the color thing. Its a terrible idea.

DigiMark007
I would execute anyone caught illegally downloading comics. The industry would at least double in revenue.

SnazzySmurph
Originally posted by DigiMark007
I would execute anyone caught illegally downloading comics. The industry would at least double in revenue. True, but only until you were caught.

TricksterPriest
I think writers should have to read a decent amount of sci-fi/fantasy before they come up with new characters. Cause they really need to check whether their ideas are either A: done before, B: done better by someone else C: look for inspiration.

I think if the writers saw Farscape, Babylon 5 and Star Trek:TNG, they'd do a better job.

and someone needs to write a good detective comic.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by SnazzySmurph
True, but only until you were caught.

No, it would scare all the law-breakers into either giving up comics or buying them. Think about it. Death for getting caught. I realize few ever get nabbed, but if that was the penalty, sales would soar.

Hyperion 07
Download comics for teh win!!111 ninja stick out tongue

Black Adam
Its a terrible idea.

paying the same price but for 200 plus pages of content instead of 23
more chances for artist and writers to showcase their own work in said big ass anthologies.
more female readers and other consumers who might take some interest in works that suit their taste( I love my super comics but they're not every ones cup of tea)

meh besides the color thing I really don't see what's so bad about it.

Originally posted by TricksterPriest
and someone needs to write a good detective comic.

have you read Fell?

Black Adam

sup A.J

Soljer
I love my super comics but they're not every ones cup of tea

True. But they are SOMEONE's cup of tea, obviously.

And by making comics like manga, you are knocking that cup out of their hand. If you want manga, go grab manga. If you want some western comics, get some comics.

If you make comics manga...well...then what the hell do you do if you're in the mood for some western comics?

Bad Ash231

I completely agree. ninjafist

endrict
longer comics can allow more depth and plot per issue

i just feel a 30 page comic is kinda too short

i think people would pay 3.95 for a 45 pg comic

I pay that for a 30pg comic.

masterbruce
I would execute anyone caught illegally downloading comics. The industry would at least double in revenue. that might not be true...it's not a sure thing that people who dl comics would pay to buy them.

DigiMark007
that might not be true...it's not a sure thing that people who dl comics would pay to buy them.

Some would. That's the point. I already admitted many would just stop reading comics. But it takes a substantial chunk out of the industry and is the indirect cause behind titles getting cancelled, new writers not finding work, and indie companies going bankrupt or being bought out by the larger companies.

endrict
There needs to better requirements for writers and artist, Sales would boom for either company if the storyline and the art was great all the time.

The writing and art in Wolverine Origins suck(Steve Dillon) now if they had better guide lines this wouldn't happen and we would have better artist.

Hyperion 07
sup A.J That football guy? Or was that a joke?

endrict
that might not be true...it's not a sure thing that people who dl comics would pay to buy them.

I wouldn't and thats for sure!!

I work all day long on a computer, so why the Hell would I want to DL a comic/book and look at another monitor again? Instead I can escape the real world for a bit and enjoy myself in a comic or a book.

Hyperion 07
Some would. That's the point. I already admitted many would just stop reading comics. But it takes a substantial chunk out of the industry and is the indirect cause behind titles getting cancelled, new writers not finding work, and indie companies going bankrupt or being bought out by the larger companies.

People only buying trades cause them to be canceled as well. A certain member here only ever seems to buy them, which is quite annoying when series like Iron Fist need buyers of the regular series.

Anyway that was off topic. stick out tongue

DigiMark007
People only buying trades cause them to be canceled as well. A certain member here only ever seems to buy them, which is quite annoying when series like Iron Fist need buyers of the regular series.

Anyway that was off topic. stick out tongue

Did you just say that people buying comics causes them to be cancelled?

Seriously?

I'd love to hear the logic behind that....though it's likely just a half-cocked attempt to justify DL'ing you stuff like a coward.

Hyperion 07
Did you just say that people buying comics causes them to be cancelled?

Seriously?

I'd love to hear the logic behind that....though it's likely just a half-cocked attempt to justify DL'ing you stuff like a coward.

What....where did you get me complaining about people only buying the trades and not buying the regular issues, and come out with I am justifying downloading.

I don't download unless I have the comic and I need the scans ASAP.

That ninja thing was a joke. Yet again ragging on me. no expression

Noiw your calling me a coward? I thought you was a mod, aren't you suposed to have..I donno self control?

Black Adam
True. But they are SOMEONE's cup of tea, obviously.

And by making comics like manga, you are knocking that cup out of their hand.

how so? it's not like packing them in affordable anthologies is going to get rid of super heroes completely. and wouldn't the idea of paying for marvels entire weekly releases for the price of one spider-man comic sound good to the average guy/kid on the street who would normally be put off buy by the 2.99(or higher for you euro guys) price tag for a skinny 23(more like 18 once you remove the adds) pamphlet.

If you want manga, go grab manga. If you want some western comics, get some comics.

I would think western publishers would prefer if you spend more money on their items and less on foreign competition.

meh It's probably never going to happen anyway.

way to many of the old fans would never agree to cut out their color or their glossy paper.(never saw why seeing as most will never take an issue out of their long box ever again after reading it)

and way to much of the big two big two dominating the market and constantly relying on the their small group of loyal readers,all while
ignoring what may add more new ones.

complaining about people only buying the trades and not buying the regular issues

considering the lower price tag if you would have gone out and bought each issue individually added with the fact that more and more stories are being basically designed for the trade format, can you really blame anyone for wanting spend less money?

Hyperion 07
No, but then don't complain when the series is canceled. Do the writers know when the fans are waiting? No they don't, they just assume no one is buying them which causes them to be canceled.

Along with downloading etc.

Soljer

I would think western publishers would prefer if you spend more money on their items and less on foreign competition.

You didn't say 'do both.'

You said 'replace comics with manga' or 'treat comics like manga' or some such.

And, believe it or not, some people perfer the western format.

nvrbeenwthagirl
I would make subscriptions to comics plausible again by making sure that The artist and writers are consistant. I would also allow a streaming access to all comics of the title. Maybe even allow the subscriber to download any previous they wish for a small price. Say like a quarter or something. We could save alotta trees by going digital. And to save the retailers, they can still have all the major events as paper only. Or Undownloadable for 3 months.

tjcoady
yeah- allow streamed comics for less then the regular price of the book.

Warren Ellis proposed something like: host the new issue of the book on your website for free, and then make the back issues available to download for a fee. People could still read the comics for free, but anyone who wants to collect them would still buy the trade or the actual in store issue... and people would read the current, free issue, and get hooked and go back to buy either the hosted ones or find them in tpb or in print.

SnazzySmurph
No, it would scare all the law-breakers into either giving up comics or buying them. Think about it. Death for getting caught. I realize few ever get nabbed, but if that was the penalty, sales would soar. Actually, my point was that even if you had absolute control over the comics industry, you still wouldn't be able to change the laws so that illegal downloads elicits the death penalty. stick out tongue

Lord S
I would encourage writers to:

1. Respect continuity.
2. Promote a shared universe
3. Move away from decompression and actually attempt to write meaningful stories...rather than just take up space with senseless melodrama

WrathfulDwarf
Stop making pointless and useless Superhero movies.

Let it be about quality. I'm sure they love the profit but industry is going to implode if they keep making these flicks on characters we grew up with and love. It brings money...but it also brings those awful bandwagon fans who want to change everything.

Create more titles for a younger audience. We middle age guys have been controlling the business for years. It's time to let the little ones get to enjoy it. It's not fair that our generation takes it away from them. I would gladly like to see the young kids get acquainted with the mythos of my childhood.

Zebedee
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Stop making pointless and useless Superhero movies.

Let it be about quality. I'm sure they love the profit but industry is going to implode if they keep making these flicks on characters we grew up with and love. It brings money...but it also brings those awful bandwagon fans who want to change everything.

Create more titles for a younger audience. We middle age guys have been controlling the business for years. It's time to let the little ones get to enjoy it. It's not fair that our generation takes it away from them. I would gladly like to see the young kids get acquainted with the mythos of my childhood.

I agree and make comics fun......... It struck me reading the Rann/Thanagar war that most readers would be truly lost. I would love...... To see absolute resets. Not retcons but... Marvel and DC. stop publishing for a month and we go to a zero point. Not half arse like the Ultimates line but a complete restart.

It would be wonderful.

Re: comic movies, quality control really needs sorting out. For every Batman begins we have Xmen the last stand or Ghost Rider.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.