How feasible is the technology of Iron Man armor?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

masterbruce
Do you guys think it would be possible, in our lifetime, for technology to improve so much that a suit of armor similar to Iron Man's armor could be built (perhaps by the military)?

http://image.comicvine.com/uploads/item/2000/1455/126979-iron-man_400.jpg

Newjak
Nope not unless some very drastic improvements are made in power sources.

masterbruce
Originally posted by Newjak
Nope not unless some very drastic improvements are made in power sources. good point...power would be one of the major constraints

I know in Japan, they already have exosuits that multiply your strength level though

Newjak
Originally posted by masterbruce
good point...power would be one of the major constraints

I know in Japan, they already have exosuits that multiply your strength level though True but the strength increases they give are very small.

To get an Ironman level suit that can fly, shoot weapons, resist bullets.

requires a huge power source in such a small space.

We're more likely to see space fighters in our time.

masterbruce
yeah, the only power source capable of producing the power needed for an ironman suit would probably be some form of nuclear power...and I don't think they could shrink a nuclear powered battery to such small form factor

grey fox
yeah, the only power source capable of producing the power needed for an ironman suit would probably be some form of nuclear power...and I don't think they could shrink a nuclear powered battery to such small form factor

They could install it as a backpack style part of the armour.

Newjak
yeah, the only power source capable of producing the power needed for an ironman suit would probably be some form of nuclear power...and I don't think they could shrink a nuclear powered battery to such small form factor Not really.

Although it would be cool if we could the armor.

Entity
What if it had a micro wave feed of energy form an outside source?

Something like a nuclear or fusion reactor power source the size of a plant providing a direct feed to the suit via mirco wave technology.

nvrbeenwthagirl
You dont' need Nuclear power to do it. All you would need is something that could harness the power of Hydrogen on a micro lvl.

lando005
we're more than likely gonna see IM's first armor however now that i've pondered this the powersouce may just be bio electrical possibly using the wearer's own body to generate maybe reserve power once the main fuel cell is dead

grey fox
Originally posted by lando005
we're more than likely gonna see IM's first armor however now that i've pondered this the powersouce may just be bio electrical possibly using the wearer's own body to generate maybe reserve power once the main fuel cell is dead

Kinda like a mix between Starship Troopers and Mjolnir Armour ?

Johnny_0
The Iron Man power suit is powered by Zero Point Energy. Zero Point Energy (ZPE) is the higher dimensional stabilizing matrix that allows our physical universe to exist. It permeates everything, even in our coarse, three dimensional universe. If the ZPE tension which exists in one cubic centimeter of space vacuum could somehow be liberated in an instant, it would destroy our entire solar system, including the sun.
That's right, it's even more powerful than anti-matter. We are dealing with a power level that is pretty much beyond human comprehension (well, except for Tony, of course.) ZPE builds our reality. This "Arc Reactor" nonsense in the Iron Man movie is nothing but a glamorous hot fusion lie. Hot fusion is a multi-billion dollar parasite that in 40 years of research can't even give a positive energy yield in labs the size of a GM car plant!
The truth is, Tony Stark (IQ 250+) REALLY built a miniature trans-dimensional ZPE power transformer, much like the ones that UFOs use. Even if Tony's ZPE power transformer is only .oooooooo1 per cent efficient, it would easily power his Iron Man suit.
His suit does not use focused, electro-magnetic propulsion forces, as a UFO does, but rather rocket-like thrusters to achieve flight capability. The most likely explanation for this more conventional means of thrust generation is that his armored suit is much too small to accommodate the massive electro-magnetic ZPE field coils housed inside a UFO.
Therefore, Tony's alternative solution is to provide a reactive mass for the intense Zero Point Energy field to burn. One "BB shot" sized reactive mass of tungsten, if subjected to a focused 1,ooo,ooo,ooo degree Kelvin ZPE heat source, would provide enough thrust to propel Iron Man around the world at hypersonic velocities.
OK, ZPE explains his power source, but what about the control transducers that "translate" this incredible power into precise bodily movements? The only feasible candidate on the techno-horizon is Nano-Technology. I am sure that you admire the sleek design of Iron Man's power suit as much as I do, and it is for a very good reason....there are NO power actuators! Tony's "maximum cool" power suit has no hint of bulky electric motors or hydraulic cylinders. Such junk is pathetic 19th century technology.
Tony said that his Iron Man suit is made from a titanium-gold alloy. For some reason (maybe patent rights), he decided not to mention that this alloy (along with several other exotic trace elements) creates a super-tough armor that can "flow," almost like water when harmonically stimulated at the quantum level by the suits digital nervous system - Tony's best friend, the JARVIS AI supercomputer. In blunt terms, the armor itself has the built-in capacity to expand and contract its atomic structure in order to achieve direct physical movement - at 1000 times human force levels.
What really intrigues me is that a major movie company, with a 100 million dollar budget, did not even bother to consider the recent discoveries of modern science before "blowing off" another blockbuster.

I'm Bran
Now I really want to dick around with a HAL-5.

Mindship
Originally posted by Starscream M
Do you guys think it would be possible, in our lifetime, for technology to improve so much that a suit of armor similar to Iron Man's armor could be built ...
In our lifetime? No. And it isn't just a matter of a portable power source. Eg, stabilizing a human form (which is inherently and highly non-aerodynamic) for just smooth linear flight -- let alone pinpoint maneuverability -- will require immense data-processing demands. Some kind of inertial dampening will also be necessary for dealing with quick take-offs and potential crashes, and currently we have absolutely no tech handle on inertia whatsoever.

I don't see Iron Man armor happening until at least the 22nd century.

willRules
Originally posted by Mindship
In our lifetime? No. And it isn't just a matter of a portable power source. Eg, stabilizing a human form (which is inherently and highly non-aerodynamic) for just smooth linear flight -- let alone pinpoint maneuverability -- will require immense data-processing demands. Some kind of inertial dampening will also be necessary for dealing with quick take-offs and potential crashes, and currently we have absolutely no tech handle on inertia whatsoever.

I don't see Iron Man armor happening until at least the 22nd century.

Yeah yes and that's not even going into the issue of cost. Why make a suit if it costs the amount it takes to run your country????

Philosophía
We won't be alive for the 22nd century.

I give us 50 years at best. uhuh

willRules

Philosophía
I mean us all. The planet.

Originally posted by willRules
Don't worry about that. I know a guy who said he can make you live for a few thousand years. All you haveta do is drink the magic formula that he brews in his testicles. yes

The last thing I wanted to know is new methods pedophils use to make kids do what they want.

willRules

Philosophía
I'm not gay but for a few thousand years of life, I dunno.... That's another thing I didn't want to know.

The Illuminati
Who said it was Pedophilia? wink The guy has magic balls smile I'm not gay but for a few thousand years of life, I dunno....

Why doesn't that surprise me.

Cartesian Doubt
Originally posted by Entity
What if it had a micro wave feed of energy form an outside source?

Something like a nuclear or fusion reactor power source the size of a plant providing a direct feed to the suit via mirco wave technology.

Yeah I've heard of this as well

Or instead of a Nuclear Plant, a massive Solar sail in Orbit.

Also there aren't any physical limits on how small a fusion reactor need be, just can't see them being the size of the arc reactor anytime soon.

Also my physics maybe way off here, but I thought you could stick almost limitless amounts of energy in a superconductive battery device, without it running down ?

Maybe a miniaturised positron generator ?

Cartesian Doubt
Originally posted by Johnny_0
The Iron Man power suit is powered by Zero Point Energy. Zero Point Energy (ZPE) is the higher dimensional stabilizing matrix that allows our physical universe to exist. It permeates everything, even in our coarse, three dimensional universe. If the ZPE tension which exists in one cubic centimeter of space vacuum could somehow be liberated in an instant, it would destroy our entire solar system, including the sun.
That's right, it's even more powerful than anti-matter. We are dealing with a power level that is pretty much beyond human comprehension (well, except for Tony, of course.) ZPE builds our reality. This "Arc Reactor" nonsense in the Iron Man movie is nothing but a glamorous hot fusion lie. Hot fusion is a multi-billion dollar parasite that in 40 years of research can't even give a positive energy yield in labs the size of a GM car plant!
The truth is, Tony Stark (IQ 250+) REALLY built a miniature trans-dimensional ZPE power transformer, much like the ones that UFOs use. Even if Tony's ZPE power transformer is only .oooooooo1 per cent efficient, it would easily power his Iron Man suit.
His suit does not use focused, electro-magnetic propulsion forces, as a UFO does, but rather rocket-like thrusters to achieve flight capability. The most likely explanation for this more conventional means of thrust generation is that his armored suit is much too small to accommodate the massive electro-magnetic ZPE field coils housed inside a UFO.
Therefore, Tony's alternative solution is to provide a reactive mass for the intense Zero Point Energy field to burn. One "BB shot" sized reactive mass of tungsten, if subjected to a focused 1,ooo,ooo,ooo degree Kelvin ZPE heat source, would provide enough thrust to propel Iron Man around the world at hypersonic velocities.
OK, ZPE explains his power source, but what about the control transducers that "translate" this incredible power into precise bodily movements? The only feasible candidate on the techno-horizon is Nano-Technology. I am sure that you admire the sleek design of Iron Man's power suit as much as I do, and it is for a very good reason....there are NO power actuators! Tony's "maximum cool" power suit has no hint of bulky electric motors or hydraulic cylinders. Such junk is pathetic 19th century technology.
Tony said that his Iron Man suit is made from a titanium-gold alloy. For some reason (maybe patent rights), he decided not to mention that this alloy (along with several other exotic trace elements) creates a super-tough armor that can "flow," almost like water when harmonically stimulated at the quantum level by the suits digital nervous system - Tony's best friend, the JARVIS AI supercomputer. In blunt terms, the armor itself has the built-in capacity to expand and contract its atomic structure in order to achieve direct physical movement - at 1000 times human force levels.
What really intrigues me is that a major movie company, with a 100 million dollar budget, did not even bother to consider the recent discoveries of modern science before "blowing off" another blockbuster.

No offense mate but this is complete 'hack' science.

No one has a clue what generates ZPE, or what is generally known as the Casmir Force. The most generally popular theorem, is that its electrons and positrons tunneling in and out of existence (maybe from the very first few micro seconds, of the big bang).

And I was under the impression that UFOs are supposed to use monopoles (magnetic devices that only have a north/south, instead of both), or highly charged super conductors that spin and then supposedly deflect gravitons(although this isn't a very popular theory).

manjaro
this whole thing intrigues me...im not too up on the ZPE stuff....but IMO a more feasible alternative would be some sort of antigrav device....well maybe not true anti grav but some kind of Em repelling thingy..the same way that magneto defies gravity...however i am concerned with g foreces tho....whats gonna happen with instant takeoffs, or sharp turns at mach speeds? the human body would be turned to mush

Doctor-Alvis
Huey Lewis was closest to the solution with his song "Power of Love"

TricksterPriest
The answer is on Mars, or Jupiter.
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Metatron-Ore

vdznoXlO5s0

pray

Nestical
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
Huey Lewis was closest to the solution with his song "Power of Love"

QFT laughing

Raoul
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
The answer is on Mars, or Jupiter.
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Metatron-Ore

vdznoXlO5s0

pray

i HATE when people post "videos" on youtube that are just still images with music playing.

willRules
Originally posted by Raoul
i HATE when people post "videos" on youtube that are just still images with music playing.

Me too, then I found this......

Bl30-EqHsgY

Raoul
Me too, then I found this......

Bl30-EqHsgY

no

willRules
Originally posted by Raoul
no

What the??? It's a great video!!!!???!!!

sparta753
just cause tony stark is in a movie and that suit is kinda fictional dosent mean we cant create it and about the energy source we can figure out that later but for the time we can just use massive amounts of electricity and not put all the weopons in the suit just the flight stabilizers and the thrusters then worry about were all the weopons go

Stoic
I know one thing for certain, you would never be able to fly in a suit of those configurations. The moment you lifted your head at those speeds, it would be torn off, and forget about throwing a punch at those high G's, it just wouldn't work out the way that it does in comics. It would likely tear your arm off as well.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.