Best Hip Hop Producer

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Subjekt
Ok, so anyone who's into REAL hip hop knows that mainstream hip hop, if you can call it that, is gettin whack as shit, and the producers aren't any better. So most have to go to the underground to find real shit.

So who is the best producer out there? I hate kanye, but i can admit that he makes some dope beats every now and then. Eminem used to make pretty tight beats, but he's going more commercial again.

Dre...he's iconic, but he just don't have that "thing" anymore, in my opinion.

Of all, I'd have to say that my fav producer right now is 9th Wonder. Dude is ill. He makes some of the dopest beats ever and puts emotion in his work. Shit he's done with like Median and the rest of Justus League is superb.

So whats everyone else's opinion? Make a list if you want or just name your fav.

9th Wonder here for me!!

Healing Artisan
my favorite has to be Kno from CunninLynguists. He has been consistent since 'Will Rap for Food'. Kno gets my vote for sure.

chillmeistergen
Kno gets my vote as well, ever since hearing 616 Rewind at a party ages ago, I've been a massive CunninLynguists fan.

D00m
As long as DJ Premier, Pete Rock and the Rza are alive it isn't even debatable.

D00m
As for underground producers who haven't been mentioned:

Madlib, Doom, mcenroe, Prince Paul, Automator, El-P, ect ect

and RIP Dilla.

D00m
Can't forget the gawd Large Pro.

Darth Subjekt
Yea Primo is one of the best, as is Pete Rock...Rza, to me, has gone way down hill. He has the ear, but it seems like lately he's been trying too hard to make "that sound" ya know?

if you get a chance though, def check out some 0f 9th Wonder's shit. If i knew how to post sound clips on here, i would, cause i'm tellin you dude is sick. Check out two of his beats, "No Comparison" (with Buckshot - but better as instrumental only) and "The Rain" (also better as instrumental only). Also, the Median track i was talkin about is "How big is your World." Thats an all around dope track.

Yea and Dilla no doubt, RIP. Madlib's alright, not my fav but still good. Same with El-p.

D00m
I'm very aware of 9th, and his work. That fruity Loops usin' bastard.

D00m
Oh, and Rza is still one of the best regardless of his recent output. He's a legend and legends never die. Also, Premier is the best producer alive. I don't even think it's a question.

Do you know who Large Professor is? Diamond D?

Deathblow
RZA, Madlib and El-P are my personal favorites, and I think Pharrell deserves a mention in this thread as well.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
So who is the best producer out there? I hate kanye, but i can admit that he makes some dope beats every now and then. Eminem used to make pretty tight beats, but he's going more commercial again.

Dre...he's iconic, but he just don't have that "thing" anymore, in my opinion.

So whats everyone else's opinion? Make a list if you want or just name your fav.

To me, as of yet, no producer has topped Dr. Dre and the Rza, imo.

Darth Subjekt
Originally posted by D00m
Oh, and Rza is still one of the best regardless of his recent output. He's a legend and legends never die. Also, Premier is the best producer alive. I don't even think it's a question.

Do you know who Large Professor is? Diamond D? Hell yea I know I know them. His work on Grown Man Talk wasn't bad, but I think Large Pro is better imo.

Rza is a legend, yes, and I;m not gonna take that away from him. He could make the simplest beat sound SOO dope, but consistency wise, i dunno.

So you don't dig 9th huh? Well not everyone will I guess. I just think he's a breath of fresh air from what you hear these days. And yea Primo is the king, and the fact that Common compared Kanye to him pisses me off, but yea Primo's def the man, no question.

Dre - i dug his shit in the early 90's when i was into to west coast shit more, when i was like 12 and 13. But his beats, to me, are too predictable and...cyclical. They all sound similar to each other more so than they prolly should. Not that I can do better, but ya know.

And to me, Pharrell is down there with like Timberland and JD. No offense, just not my shit.

Alpha Centauri
El-P or Stoupe for me.

-AC

Mr.Biscuits
Just to throw their names out there.
Fat Jon & Nujabes,excellent producers.

Darth Subjekt
hi tech makes, well made, some alright shit when Blackstar was coming out.

Blue_Hefner
Kayne West

just kidding.

Seriously, it's Dr. Dre and Timbaland

SpaceMonkey
1. RZA
2. Dre

Mr.Biscuits
Originally posted by Blue_Hefner
Kayne West

just kidding.

Seriously, it's Dr. Dre and Timbaland
Ha ha Timbaland.

M4KX7SkDe4Q&mode=related&search=

Lazy,just like Kanye.

D00m
So you don't dig 9th huh? Well not everyone will I guess. I just think he's a breath of fresh air from what you hear these days

Nah, I like 9th. Just not one of my favorite's.

D00m
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
To me, as of yet, no producer has topped Dr. Dre and the Rza, imo.

Uh, Primo?

D00m
Originally posted by Mr.Biscuits
Fat Jon

Word. One of the most underrated without a doubt.

I'll add J Rawls too.

D00m
Don't know how I forgot about Q-Tip.

Mr.Biscuits
Word. One of the most underrated without a doubt.

I'll add J Rawls too.
Not familiar with Nujabes?

D00m
The Japanese producer? Yea, why?

Mr.Biscuits
Yeah,just thought he was some what underrated as well.

D00m
Agree, but I'm a big(ger) fan of Fat Jon so that's why I singled him out.

Mr.Biscuits
Ah...
Yeah I am as well.
I can listen to his solo work for hours without end.
He's normally #1 on my Last FM,until recently when I was on my Tribe frenzy...

D00m
Word, Wave Motion is my shit. Love that album. Love Humanoid Erotica as well.

His work on Koolmotor is amazing. Beautiful music.

Mr.Biscuits
Word, Wave Motion is my shit. Love that album. Love Humanoid Erotica as well.

His work on Koolmotor is amazing. Beautiful music.
Agree 100% His Five Deez work is great.
I still haven't got around to listening to his newest Album yet...

Darth Subjekt
Yea is too...obvious a choice, and usually is picked among mainstream fans, which there's nothing wrong with that...if you haven't been exposed to other shit you'll never know. I just got into underground shit (well not radio tunes at least) hardcore about 2 years ago.

Dr has his shit on lock, but he cant touch Primo.

Blue_Hefner
Ha ha Timbaland.

M4KX7SkDe4Q&mode=related&search=

Lazy,just like Kanye.

That means nothing because his old beats are better

FistOfThe North
Uh, Primo?

I was gonna put him down as my third pick but ain't Primo a beat maker?

I mean, he still is the illest D.J. on the planet, to me, but i just never know he really produced.

Mr.Biscuits
Originally posted by Blue_Hefner
That means nothing because his old beats are better
Busta Rhymes was the shit back then too...GET IT?Originally posted by FistOfThe North
I was gonna put him down as my third pick but ain't Primo a beat maker?

I mean, he still is the illest D.J. on the planet, to me, but i just never know he really produced.
What? how didn't you know he produced?
Being a DJ is nothing if you can't produce a beat,it goes hand and hand.

FistOfThe North
What? how didn't you know he produced?
Being a DJ is nothing if you can't produce a beat,it goes hand and hand.

I just didn't know. I definetely knew he made or "produced" beats but isn't producing beats and producing an album not the same thing?

Like being a D.J. isn't the same thing as being an album producer, is it?

D00m
You confused the hell outta me.

DJ + Producer/Beat Maker = same thing

You must be thinking of a record producer who is more behind the scenes.

FistOfThe North
You confused the hell outta me.

DJ + Producer/Beat Maker = same thing

You must be thinking of a record producer who is more behind the scenes.

Album producer = Record producer

An Album/record producer is not the same thing as a beat maker. However, either can do both but are both different jobs that can be done individually and i thought he only made beats.

Dusty
Nujabes
Fat Jon
Kanye West
Rick Rubin
Outkast is also fantastic.

D00m
Album producer = Record producer

An Album/record producer is not the same thing as a beat maker. However, either can do both but are both different jobs that can be done individually and i thought he only made beats.

I really have no idea what you're trying to say at this point.

Alpha Centauri
Fist is correct.

"Producer" has a significantly different meaning in hip hop. A producer in hip hop is usually the person who actually makes all the music and the beats, where as in general terms it's just someone who aids in the recording, suggests how to achieve a certain sound or quality, throws their ideas in here and there as to how to perhaps make a song better.

Rick Rubin is a producer, he's not doing what Pharrell does.

-AC

FistOfThe North
I really have no idea what you're trying to say at this point.

I've been said it. That plainly i didn't really know Premier was a record producer meaning an album creator but just a beat maker. And that's it.

So here's my new list.

Dre
Rza
D.J. Premier

That, and if, he was/is an album producer definitely makes him apart of his list in accordance to the thread title as an aside to him being a type of hip hop producer just by being a producer of hip hop beats. But even then i could still list him just by the latter alone.

Darth Subjekt
By producer, I meant one who makes the beat and/or helps the stages of song completion.

D00m
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Fist is correct.

"Producer" has a significantly different meaning in hip hop. A producer in hip hop is usually the person who actually makes all the music and the beats, where as in general terms it's just someone who aids in the recording, suggests how to achieve a certain sound or quality, throws their ideas in here and there as to how to perhaps make a song better.

Rick Rubin is a producer, he's not doing what Pharrell does.

-AC

I knew that, I was just unsure what he was trying to say about Primo. I get it now though.

So you don't know any Primo beats, fist?

FistOfThe North
I knew that, I was just unsure what he was trying to say about Primo. I get it now though.

So you don't know any Primo beats, fist?

?

Again, that's all i've even known Primo for: his beats. So to answer your question, yes. And his best album he did beats for was Nas's 1st CD, "Illmatic".

"Above the Clouds" with Inspecta Deck and Guru when Primo threw an echoing J.F.K. at the start of the song going "The moon and the planets are there, and new hopes for knowledge and peace are there.." with that sick sick beat going.. Primo's a genius. Then someone else goes "The mysteries of creation are there". followed by a couple of people going "Up in the sky!" It's ill cause it's in perfect relation to that dope dope beat and what the song about.

And the best line in that song was when Guru said:

I'm the illustrious teacher
and narrator you'd select,
accompanied by Deck,
plus the D.J. you respect.

I haven't heard Primo's work for a while but his stuff still trumps like 96% of beats i hear today.

That's why his name is D.J. Premier. Cause he's no. 1. I remember this one song, Primo did, where Jada said:

I sit back and smoke an ounce in the dark,
I bounce on off a Preme track,
like I'd bounce on a Narc

Again over a sick beat involving a piano, a bass guitar and what sounded like bells, it was sick..

i could keep going but it's breakfast time..

Oh, one last thing, now that I remember he did Jeru's beats too and we all know those first 2 Jeru Albums had the sickest beats in the game with "My mind spary" and "dirty rotten scoundrels" being Primo's best works on those cuts, to me.

Peace.

D00m
Ah, gotcha.

vanice
How come no one has mentioned swiss beats. not saying he's the best or anything but he is a big name and has revolutionised mainstream hip-hop beats.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by vanice
How come no one has mentioned swiss beats. not saying he's the best or anything but he is a big name and has revolutionised mainstream hip-hop beats.

I would put swiss beatz in my top 5 beat maker list. Most of his work with DMX was ill.

vanice
I think it's kina cool. Daring anyway..

Darth Subjekt
Ok, so out of your favorite producers, whats your favorite beat from them?

Alpha Centauri
Raspberry Fields by El-P, probably.

Or Poet Laureate II by Stoupe.

-AC

Healing Artisan

'My 1st Song' by Kno (on that Kno vs Hov remix album)

'Blood in Blood Out' by Stoupe

Kelly_Bean
Timbaland...

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Kelly_Bean
Timbaland...

It's better if you know more than MTV stars.

-AC

FistOfThe North

Good question.

Primo's beat on Nas's "N.Y. State of Mind" from that Illmatic album always pops in my head when i think of one of the dopest beat I've heasrd but it hard to say...

I don't have a #1 favorite beat but in hip hop most of the beats i really like come from him.

Darth Subjekt
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
It's better if you know more than MTV stars.

-AC indeed

Good question.

Primo's beat on Nas's "N.Y. State of Mind" from that Illmatic album always pops in my head when i think of one of the dopest beat I've heasrd but it hard to say...

I don't have a #1 favorite beat but in hip hop most of the beats i really like come from him. True, that's a dope beat...there's a song i just heard recently that has KRS, Nas and someone else i think, and its a primo beat...real nice beat...i'll have to find the name.

Darth Subjekt
Sorry for the double post, but i just found the song i was talking about before. its called Classic and has Kanye, Krs, Nas and Rakim. Y'all should check it out...

Healing Artisan
Sorry for the double post, but i just found the song i was talking about before. its called Classic and has Kanye, Krs, Nas and Rakim. Y'all should check it out... Premier produced that. great track.

Hidden Lotus
RZA of Wu-Tang

Refused
The City by RZA.
Accordion by Madlib.
From the Planet of Eat by El-P.
Won't Do by J Dilla.

Just some that come to mind.

Bardock42
Timbaland.

2D_MASTER
Originally posted by Bardock42
Timbaland.

Why? Because he sampled the Knight Rider theme? huh?!!? I guess what they say about Germans and David Hasselhoff IS true...

Bardock42
Originally posted by 2D_MASTER
Why? Because he sampled the Knight Rider theme? huh?!!? I guess what they say about Germans and David Hasselhoff IS true...

T-timbaland.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by 2D_MASTER

laughing out loud laughing

FistOfThe North
T-timbaland.

Care to explain why you think he's the best producer?....

Bardock42
Care to explain why you think he's the best producer?.... I thought we just said Timbaland to annoy AC.

FistOfThe North
I thought we just said Timbaland to annoy AC.

Oh. I (kinda) forgot you normally do that: Annoy the sh*t out of people.

My bad.

Afro Cheese
RZA is the best by far to me. Also i think Dre is much better than Premier.

Havoc gets an honorable mention too.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
RZA is the best by far to me. Also i think Dre is much better than Premier.

Havoc gets an honorable mention too.

Damn. Dre "much better" than Premier? That's a bold statement right there. You most definitely must be from the west to say that.

Afro Cheese
Nope, the south.

Hidden Lotus
still RZA.....
cant wait for that new Wu-Tang CD
its gonna be fire

Joey Stacks
Timbo by farrrrrrrrrrrrrr

then comes the rest
Organized Noise
Just Blaze
Dj Toomp
The Hypnotize Minds Camp
Dilla
Primo
Pastor Troy

and I want to give a special shout to Scarface.

Probably the most underrated ghost producer ever.

vanice
DJ Premier is my absolute favourite. Indisputable imo. fav beat? too many to choose from. I mean check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=youm845zkS0 but Royalty, Represent, Full Clip, Above The Clouds and Nas is like are really really dope.

other producers that I really respect are J Dilla (of course) Large Professor, Pete Rock, Q-Tip and Kanye West actually.. I have this thing about him. Seems like I don't want to like him, but then I find myself really diggin' his stuff. He's a much better producer than Mc for sure. Finding forever has some really dope tracks, like The People for instance.

Refused
I've been on an extreme J Dilla phase over the past several months and i have to say he's my favorite producer ever ever ever. He's just got too much good stuff from his stuff with Tribe, Slum, and his newer stuff with Stones Throw. Just all around the best.

And also someone i've been big on recently is Flying Lotus. Really good stuff.

RocasAtoll
Premier. Gangstarr is the best duo of all time, Jeru's albums were great, etc. No one other RZA holds a candle to him. But El-P is almost there, but doesn't have the same volume of work.

Jedah Materia
IMO, the cat who made the Shoulder Lean track among others. No doubt that there are better producers but dude is like the same age as me, makin hot tracks.
That's real natural skill

Juk3n
Primo

Pete rock

Diamond D

Deathblow
Of all time, between RZA, Premier, El-P, Stoupe, Pete Rock, Kno.

Blue Sky Black Death need maybe one more album to secure a best of all time status in my view.

Darth Raizen
One of the best in my opinion would be Dr. Dre.

Zoron
I'd say RZA and dj primer also Stoup enemy of mankind hes the only one who can supply canibus with some dope beats

Funkadelic
Dr. Dre, Daz Dillinger, Johnny J, The Bomb Squad, DJ Quik, DJ Premier ...

redlake
DRE DRE is the greatest
But for right now im feeling Black Milk

Dr. Leg Kick
Kno is the most underrated. No question.

Premier and Dre are wearing the crowns.

DrewFelton
timbaland...he makes amazing music

vanice
I'm just gonna refresh my list a little..
DJ Premier
Madlib
DangerMouse
Q-Tip
Doom

I am who I am
In no order

Timbaland
Swiss Beats
Mike Shinoda/Fort Minor
Kanye West
Dre

RSSR
The two greatest Hip Hop producers: Premiere and Dr. Dre.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.