Is Mary Magdalene a Prostitute?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

vinz07
Having confuse of what is true about Mary Magdalene.....from the movie "The Da Vinci Code" confused

Darth Macabre
No.

Gregory
Nobody knows who Mary Magdalene was; there is very little said about her in the Bible. Early tradition associated her with the woman who anointed Jesus' feet, which is where the prostitute tradition comes from, but it is extra-Biblical.

Quark_666
If you are going by the Da Vinci Code, there are like 60 or 70 accounts of Christ other then just the four gospels, and the Catholic Church removed them.

If it is true, I'd like to see the other accounts. Does anybody have access to them? (Assuming Dan Brown was correct, of course)

AngryManatee
She won awards for her 1337 buttsecks

Gregory
Originally posted by Quark_666
If you are going by the Da Vinci Code

Don't.

Still, there were many texts that never made it into the canon. Saying that the Catholic Church "removed them" is a little erroneous, because the Catholic Church never included them in their canon in the first place. As for reading these noncanonical books, a lot of them are online. Here are links to a few.

The Gospel of Mary Magdalene

The Hypostasis of the Archons (a Gnostic text; less clearly "Christian" than my other links)

The Gospel of Thomas, probably the most famous noncanonical text
The Infancy Gospel of Thomas (unrelated to the Gospel of Thomas; stories of Jesus as a child

The recently discovered Gospel of Judas

The Acts of Paul

A list of documents, with information on each; many of the links include the text of the document

Storm

leonheartmm
part of the smeer campaign of the catholi church to depower women and take them out of positions of power. no reason to beleive she was a prostitute.

DigiMark007
Besides, The Davinci Code is fiction. Even Dan Brown claims as much. Taking religious and historical theories from a work of fiction, however commercially successful, is never a good thing.

But you aren't the only ones. That church is the book/movie where the tomb was purportedly buried got swamped with tourists demanding to see the stuff that is in the book....without realizing that the church actually exists, but everything else was simply made up.

lord xyz
She wasn't born, nor was Jesus. smile

debbiejo
No

DigiMark007
Originally posted by lord xyz
She wasn't born, nor was Jesus. smile

Very true. He was immaculately conceived by God in Mary's womb. Not born.

debbiejo
Mary Magdalene only means , Mary from the town she was from, Magdala. The Bible is unclear as to all the Marys' and their role.

vinz07
Mary Magdalene is the wife of Jesus, some says....the holy grail

ADarksideJedi
According to the bible she was.Forget which chapter but then she turn to God.Read the bible it is there!jm

DigiMark007
Originally posted by vinz07
Mary Magdalene is the wife of Jesus, some says....the holy grail

I'm going to call my next girlfriend the Holy Grail. Then I shall fill the grail, and drink deep of it.

shifty

debbiejo
Though see might dump you......lol

DigiMark007
Originally posted by debbiejo
Though see might dump you......lol

Probably. But for a Biblical pun that good, it would be worth it.

vinz07
we don't know what is exactly true..but we still have faith to God...

DigiMark007
Originally posted by vinz07
we don't know what is exactly true..but we still have faith to God...

We? Huh? Is this back to the Mary question?

lancethebrave
Holy Grail came about more so with the first King Arthur legend I do believe

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
According to the bible she was.Forget which chapter but then she turn to God.Read the bible it is there!jm Um...no, no it's not. Her reputation is an amalgamation of more than one character within the Bible text.

anaconda
oh so if not born then the process of getting him out of the womb would be called ?????
certain older myths talk about a cauldron/pot that had special powers and to be in its presence one had to prove them self worthy,
The" romantic" holy grail is indeed mention in the "modern" Arthur legend or the two legends wowed into one. The tale of Camelot and thetale of the knights quest for the holy grail

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by Quark_666
If you are going by the Da Vinci Code, there are like 60 or 70 accounts of Christ other then just the four gospels, and the Catholic Church removed them.

If it is true, I'd like to see the other accounts. Does anybody have access to them? (Assuming Dan Brown was correct, of course)

The do not exist...lookaround

debbiejo
There are others texts not in the cannon that mention Jesus though.

Grand_Moff_Gav
There are others texts not in the cannon that mention Jesus though. Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav

anaconda
Gospel of Philip

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by anaconda
Gospel of Philip Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav

(Have you not seen the Da Vinci Code? People who look for these things end up DEAD!)

debbiejo
Gospel of James.i.e. other gospel not included.

I read didn't see the movie, but read the book a few years ago.

anaconda
I read it, but these Nag Hammadi gnostic gospel do exist though

Grand_Moff_Gav
I was joking people, I'm very familiar with the Apocrypha, Gnostic Gospels etc.

Victor Von Doom
Mary Magdalene only means , Mary from the town she was from, Magdala. The Bible is unclear as to all the Marys' and their role. Listen to her guys. She knows about this stuff.

debbiejo
There are tons of gospels. I have a book of them......well, in storage. sad

Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Listen to her guys. She knows about this stuff.

Since when do you ever give me a complement? blink

Grand_Moff_Gav
There are tons of gospels. I have a book of them......well, in storage. sad

Since when do you ever give me a complement? blink

roll eyes (sarcastic)

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Besides, The Davinci Code is fiction. Even Dan Brown claims as much. Taking religious and historical theories from a work of fiction, however commercially successful, is never a good thing.

But you aren't the only ones. That church is the book/movie where the tomb was purportedly buried got swamped with tourists demanding to see the stuff that is in the book....without realizing that the church actually exists, but everything else was simply made up.

I love The Da Vinci Code, but NO Mary Magdalene was not a prostitute.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Gregory
the woman who anointed Jesus' feet

Sounds dirty...

Melcórë

DARKLORDCAEDUS

Devil King

Devil King
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Listen to her guys. She knows about this stuff.

If you listen to her when it comes to the history of Christianity, she'll suprise you with what she knows.

*edit: that sounds like a left-handed complient. It wasn't meant as such.

Melcórë
Originally posted by DARKLORDCAEDUS
I know the facts about the "Priory of Sion". Nonetheless I enjoyed bothe novel and the movie.

I hated the structure of the novel. It was also pretty much a rehash of his first novel, but with the Da Vinci/Mary Magdalene theory instead of a weapon. sad

Originally posted by Devil King
And it's Jesus and the Jews for the win!

...or are you saying Jesus would have haggled over the price of a blow job?

laughing out loud

That actually made me cry a little....

debbiejo
If you listen to her when it comes to the history of Christianity, she'll suprise you with what she knows.

*edit: that sounds like a left-handed complient. It wasn't meant as such. Well thank there.

I have to be in the mood though.. big grin

Victor Von Doom

*edit: that sounds like a left-handed complient. It wasn't meant as such.

M-mine was.

big gay kirk
Jesus was almost certainly married.... it was almost impossible to be rabbi in those days without being so.. due to God's promise to Abraham to make of him a great nation... and one of the few accusations not levelled against him by other law teachers in the bible is "How can he be a teacher.. he's not married with kids"... and that would have been one of the first and worst things they would have said.... there is evidence to suggest that Mary M was actually a priestess or temple attendant of some other religion, which would have turned the monotheistic jews against her and Jesus, if she was his wife, and some of the things she does, such as the feet washing, were things done by a wife to her husband...

and the grail was originally a stone...

Nellinator
You have confused Rabbi's and priests. There was no such pressure on Rabbis. Also, Jesus was still fairly young, He was at about the standard marrying age.

Also, Jesus washed the feet of all His disciples. The women were in charge of domestic affairs, including attending to guests which involved washing their feet as per the current custom.

I'd like to see the evidence of Mary as a priestess of another religion because I have never heard anything of the like.

Is not the myth of the grail stemming from the cup used at the last supper?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.