Right or Left brain test.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok
Just found this and not sure if it actually works because I can obviously only see the one directional move, which way do you see the woman rotating?

Apparently when you concentrate on the figure's legs when she is moving you can manipulate her to go in any direction and even continuously sway her legs from side to side.

http://info.break.com/static/live/v1/pages/brain/brain.html

Quark_666
Works for me.

inimalist
http://www.theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php?p=27#more-27

Bicnarok

debbiejo
RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses feeling
"big picture" oriented
imagination rules
symbols and images
present and future
philosophy & religion
can "get it" (i.e. meaning)
believes
appreciates
spatial perception
knows object function
fantasy based
presents possibilities
impetuous
risk taking

Yeah, sounds like me.

Though looking at the girl, I saw her changing directions, not spinning in one direction.

chillmeistergen
I got that one too, but it means fvck all, so who cares?

Tattoo
I can make her twirl in either direction with just a little concentration. smile

debbiejo
yeah, if you're not looking directly at her.

leonheartmm
same here. i can make her twirl in either direction.

inimalist
ya, it should be simple to make the girl turn in either direction, like my link above says, the type of "folk" psychology with the left and right brain is entirely baseless.

All in all, one of my favorite illusions now.

Bardock42
Originally posted by inimalist
ya, it should be simple to make the girl turn in either direction, like my link above says, the type of "folk" psychology with the left and right brain is entirely baseless.

All in all, one of my favorite illusions now. I can't do it.

Shakyamunison
She spins both directions. It all depends on how you look at it.

inimalist
Originally posted by Bardock42
I can't do it.

look at the feet and try to mentally "push" the outstretched leg in the other direction. It helps if you visualize her spinning in the oposite direction

Bicnarok

Shakyamunison

Kelly_Bean
I got Left-Brain.

Bicnarok

dadudemon

Bicnarok

Bicnarok

inimalist

lord xyz
look at the feet and try to mentally "push" the outstretched leg in the other direction. It helps if you visualize her spinning in the oposite direction Or just watch the shadow.

dadudemon

inimalist
Originally posted by dadudemon
Sorry bro, it changes directions. Try refreshing it or hitting back and going forward. It does change directions and it was made to make people look foolish.

can you back that up?

what you have described would actually fit with our perceptual system.

I have looked at it and had some abrupt changes in direction, but there are thousands of illsuions that produce much more unbelievable effects.

Any evidence aside from it doing what the illusion should be doing, only unexpectedly?

Mindship
I can make her sweep her lifted leg back and forth. Does this mean my corpus callosum doesn't know whether signals are coming or going? lol1

lord xyz
Originally posted by Mindship
I can make her sweep her lifted leg back and forth. Does this mean my corpus callosum doesn't know whether signals are coming or going? lol1 I can make her dissolve into herself as well as that...

inimalist
I can make her sweep her lifted leg back and forth. Does this mean my corpus callosum doesn't know whether signals are coming or going? lol1

I can get weird little effects like that aswell, which makes me skeptical if the illusion is really a fraud.

However... Try just letting it spin in a direction for 30+ seconds, and see what happens...

Bicnarok

inimalist

lord xyz
Thanks smile

Anyone else get the abrupt changes in direction after watching the image for 30+ seconds or whatever? Nah, I can stare at it for a minute and no change of direction. It only changes when you move your eyes or blink.

Here's something. When watching it, move your eyes up and down, but keeping part of the women in your view, (think of it as rubbing the woman with your vision,) everytime you look at the woman, she has changed direction.

(Works better with that video.)

dadudemon
Thanks smile

Anyone else get the abrupt changes in direction after watching the image for 30+ seconds or whatever?

I think it changes directions when you refresh...I just put them side by side and constantly refreshed until I got both of them to spin in the opposite direction.

inimalist
I think it changes directions when you refresh...I just put them side by side and constantly refreshed until I got both of them to spin in the opposite direction.

I got the same effect you did, only not when it was refreshed. Go freaking brains.

dadudemon
I got the same effect you did, only not when it was refreshed. Go freaking brains.

After looking at the frame by frame....I am not so sure now on it spinning different directions. It is the shadow that throws me off in the frame by frame.

dadudemon
OMG!!! I am rediculously wrong!!! It doesn't change directions. My brain is just wack. I was able to force the "oppositely" rotating images to move in different directions when I had them side by side.

lord xyz
From looking at it, the woman is actually spinning clockwise, but her shadow is spinning counter-clockwise.

inimalist
the woman isn't actually spinning in either direction, the fact that it looks that way is because our brains are remarkably good at picking up what looks like biological motion.

Imagine the 2D figure were actually standing on a clock, with 6 o clock being toward us while we observe the illusion. When her leg appears to be at 5 o clock going clockwise, it is the same as it would look if the leg were at 1 o'clock going counter clockwise. Its because there is no context to the motion, we aren't able to figure out what is really in front of what.

man, brains brains brains brains brains

dadudemon
Originally posted by lord xyz
From looking at it, the woman is actually spinning clockwise, but her shadow is spinning counter-clockwise.

Yeah, that is what the problem is. If you are logical, the only way she can spin is counter clock wise because of the shadow of her foot. If you go by the shadow, she can only spin clock-wise illogically. If you take the shadow away, then it can literally be any direction. That is what was throwing me off because at first, I could only see counter clockwise.

lord xyz
the woman isn't actually spinning in either direction, the fact that it looks that way is because our brains are remarkably good at picking up what looks like biological motion.

Imagine the 2D figure were actually standing on a clock, with 6 o clock being toward us while we observe the illusion. When her leg appears to be at 5 o clock going clockwise, it is the same as it would look if the leg were at 1 o'clock going counter clockwise. Its because there is no context to the motion, we aren't able to figure out what is really in front of what.

man, brains brains brains brains brains No, when the foot sticking out is on one end, it's larger than it is on the other end. Therefore, when the foot is bigger, it's pointing towards you and vice versa.

Yeah, that is what the problem is. If you are logical, the only way she can spin is counter clock wise because of the shadow of her foot. If you go by the shadow, she can only spin clock-wise illogically. If you take the shadow away, then it can literally be any direction. That is what was throwing me off because at first, I could only see counter clockwise. See, I'm right.

inimalist
No, when the foot sticking out is on one end, it's larger than it is on the other end. Therefore, when the foot is bigger, it's pointing towards you and vice versa.

See, I'm right.

you are right about what?

I was explaining the illusion

Unless you are arguing that the image is actually a 3 dimensional figure...

Ya, the shadow is kinda messed up, I could always get it to change direction by looking at the feet, probably for that reason.

debbiejo
I didn't see a man in the coffee beans and was disappointed.......then I read on.. smart

lord xyz

Ya, the shadow is kinda messed up, I could always get it to change direction by looking at the feet, probably for that reason. No, me being right was about something I said earlier to him, not what I was discussing with you.

inimalist
No, me being right was about something I said earlier to him, not what I was discussing with you.

oh, well, just accept that I am mildly retarded and an appology

lord xyz
oh, well, just accept that I am mildly retarded and an appology If you weren't mildly retarded, you wouldn't be here.

dadudemon

Ya, the shadow is kinda messed up, I could always get it to change direction by looking at the feet, probably for that reason.

Try this.

Get the image to "move" clockwise. When the outward foot is as you perceive, closest to your face, then look at the shadow cast. You will observe an impossible shadow casting because the toes of the shadow will be pointing to the toes of the figure...impossible IF the image is rotating as you perceive as clockwise.

Now try the same "perception" test when it moves counterclockwise. The shadow casting works just fine.

Since an optical illusion is carefully planned, this means the a person who perceives this as moving clockwise would have to be illogical, and therefore, artistic. The actual intended perception would be counterclockwise. In other words, if someone at first sees the image move clockwise, they did not properly observe the motion. Forget about the shadow being cast, and the logical mind can see it move clockwise.

SUCCESS!!

inimalist
Id agree with everything you said except for the illogical/artistic part.

No part of the illusion has anything to do with your personality

lord xyz
Try this.

Get the image to "move" clockwise. When the outward foot is as you perceive, closest to your face, then look at the shadow cast. You will observe an impossible shadow casting because the toes of the shadow will be pointing to the toes of the figure...impossible IF the image is rotating as you perceive as clockwise.

Now try the same "perception" test when it moves counterclockwise. The shadow casting works just fine.

Since an optical illusion is carefully planned, this means the a person who perceives this as moving clockwise would have to be illogical, and therefore, artistic. The actual intended perception would be counterclockwise. In other words, if someone at first sees the image move clockwise, they did not properly observe the motion. Forget about the shadow being cast, and the logical mind can see it move clockwise.

SUCCESS!! Actually the shadow can still work if the shadow is spinning opposite. It's a refraction thing I think.

dadudemon
Id agree with everything you said except for the illogical/artistic part.

No part of the illusion has anything to do with your personality

I think that only someone who has high observational skills would be able to notice that there is a shadow impossibility when spinning clockwise...lending itself to logical trait. That's my opinion and you are the professional so really, whatever you say I just have to go with it.

Mindship

That's why I was able to...

...make her sweep her lifted leg back and forth.
It reminded me of this...
http://www.sandlotscience.com/Distortions/Ames_Trapezoid.htm

Here's something the curious can try: With the girl, watch her for a while. Don't try to change her direction, just note which direction she's going in. Then go do something else for a few minutes (answer a post, google up stuff, pee). Come back and look at the girl again, and note quickly which direction she's spinning in.

Do this a few times. Is your perception of the girl consistent or not (ie, is she always spinning in the same direction)?

lord xyz
Try this.

SUCCESS!! It moves clockwise, but the shadow makes you think otherwise.

debbiejo
That's why I was able to...

It reminded me of this...
http://www.sandlotscience.com/Distortions/Ames_Trapezoid.htm

Here's something the curious can try: With the girl, watch her for a while. Don't try to change her direction, just note which direction she's going in. Then go do something else for a few minutes (answer a post, google up stuff, pee). Come back and look at the girl again, and note quickly which direction she's spinning in.

Do this a few times. Is your perception of the girl consistent or not (ie, is she always spinning in the same direction)? That girl can spin in any direction and swing from side to side, even seem to point her toe. When I first clicked on her, I wasn't directly looking at her though. The other thing you posted just swings from side to side.

And I take offence to the illogical/artistic thingie mentioned.... mad lol

Victor Von Doom
It doesn't actually go anti-clockwise. The only way it appears to is when you aren't looking properly. It's just a simple illusion.

Anyone for whom it initially spins anti-clockwise, is, let's be honest here, an idiot.

debbiejo
Left brain man. Analytical.

Victor Von Doom

Victor Von Doom

All in all, one of my favorite illusions now.

All psychology is folk.

(Tell that to debbiejo, also).

dadudemon
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
It doesn't actually go anti-clockwise. The only way it appears to is when you aren't looking properly. It's just a simple illusion.

Anyone for whom it initially spins anti-clockwise, is, let's be honest here, an idiot.

If one logically follows the shadow cast by the "pointing" foot, it will always go counterclockwise. The image, however, can appear to move either direction because it is an illusion.

Originally posted by debbiejo
That girl can spin in any direction and swing from side to side, even seem to point her toe. When I first clicked on her, I wasn't directly looking at her though. The other thing you posted just swings from side to side.

And I take offence to the illogical/artistic thingie mentioned.... mad lol

I did not mean artistic people are illogical...lol...

I was trying to show that if you don't use logic with the shadows and you see it move clockwise, then you are artistic (stated by the author/s). It didn't come out right. I meant that if you don't following the image logically (in other words, follow the image illogically), then by the creators definition, you are artistic. I was really trying to justify why the creator/s made those statements about logic and art.

debbiejo
All psychology is folk.

(Tell that to debbiejo, also). Well there are different kinds though.

Victor Von Doom
If one logically follows the shadow cast by the "pointing" foot, it will always go counterclockwise. The image, however, can appear to move either direction because it is an illusion.

I noticed that various bits conflict.

Try to make the head alone (cover the rest) move in a way that your brain believes is anti-clockwise.

Tell me if you can.

Well there are different kinds though.

Yes, your kinds are folk.

Naz
I can't do it.

Me neither, she only goes clockwise.

Mindship
That girl can spin in any direction and swing from side to side, even seem to point her toe. When I first clicked on her, I wasn't directly looking at her though.This is true. But the point of the experiment was to see what you personally would experience in terms of any consistency.

The other thing you posted just swings from side to side. That's the point of the illusion. It's really rotating.

debbiejo
Okay, meaning?

~Forever*Alone~
i cant do it! XP

Mindship
Okay, meaning? This is what the spinning girl illusion reminded me of.

((The_Anomaly))
Wow that's cool. I can make it go either way at will. It spins naturally to the right for me though. Also I think its funny she has nipples. lol

Bardock42

VVD got ****ed by his dad in the ass.

He likes it.

Originally posted by Naz
Me neither, she only goes clockwise.

I did it now, takes long for me though.

I noticed that various bits conflict.

Try to make the head alone (cover the rest) move in a way that your brain believes is anti-clockwise.

Tell me if you can.

Yes, I can.

Anyways, as we saw in the frame by frame thing on youtube, neither is really superior, they are just mirrored anyways.

Victor Von Doom

Yes, I can.

(idiot).

Victor Von Doom
Not an optical illusion, but cool:

http://www.planetperplex.com/img/hidden_baby.jpg

Has anyone else noticed the dominant direction change significantly after a while, IE at once time clockwise seems really difficult, and then the reverse?

Seems left and right brain distinctions aren't as marked as some believe.

So, to answer your question, debbiejo, you aren't very right-brained, you were, after all, dumb.

Mindship
Has anyone else noticed the dominant direction change significantly after a while, IE at once time clockwise seems really difficult, and then the reverse? This is why I asked people to try the multiple observation trials. I'm curious as to the consistency (or lack thereof) of perception...

...and we can see how well that went over.

Not an optical illusion, but cool: Yeah, it is.

Mindship
EDIT

Victor Von Doom
Indeed. What was your experience?

(Where it says 'once' I meant 'one'.)

Mindship
If anyone's tried it, they haven't posted anything *sigh*

Victor Von Doom
I will try it, but I will need to go back and look what 'it' was.

Bardock42
Well, I can say that it seems harder for me to change it back while it is clockwise, but initially it was always counterclockwise so far.

Victor Von Doom
Somewhat similar to that.

First time: clockwise, unchanging.

Second time: initially anti, instantly changing to clockwise, then remaining clockwise.

Third time: as second, but remained anti for a few seconds before changing permanently.

Fourth time: clockwise, unchanging.

Bardock42
I looked at it while talking on the phone and it appeared clockwise.

Odd. Could be random of course.

dadudemon
I saw the "back and forth" effect that someone mentioned earlier. (I think it was inimilist.) I looked at it "a different way" and it started to just go back and forth instead of rotating 360 degrees....it was weird but it did it.

inimalist
I saw the "back and forth" effect that someone mentioned earlier. (I think it was inimilist.) I looked at it "a different way" and it started to just go back and forth instead of rotating 360 degrees....it was weird but it did it.

I think it was mindship who came up with that

I showed a bunch of people last night, and realized, that to me at least, if i used my finger, i could basically "push" her in either direction. I have since managed to do this with only tilting or shifting my head, so i can get the back and forth now smile

Syren
Consistently clockwise for me, I refreshed a few times and even left it and returned a few minutes later, but still clockwise.

Why do I feel disappointed? confused

inimalist
This is what the spinning girl illusion reminded me of.

I liked your box illusion smile

http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/mot_feet_lin/index.html

this is my favorite one ever

its not related at all to the spinning girl, but I recommend everyone check it out.

Oh, and if you see the blue and yellow lines moving in "steps" you have aids.

inimalist
Originally posted by Syren
Consistently clockwise for me, I refreshed a few times and even left it and returned a few minutes later, but still clockwise.

Why do I feel disappointed? confused

you have to "push" the image in your mind, basically visualize it spinning the other way

it works best if you sort of "unfocus" on the girl while still sort of watching her

Syren
you have to "push" the image in your mind, basically visualize it spinning the other way

it works best if you sort of "unfocus" on the girl while still sort of watching her

I tried, believe me embarrasment

It's driving me nuts. You remember those 'magic eye' pictures? I could never see what was in those when I was younger but I can do it now, with a bit of concentration. I'm getting that old feeling of utter frustration back again laughing out loud

inimalist

It's driving me nuts. You remember those 'magic eye' pictures? I could never see what was in those when I was younger but I can do it now, with a bit of concentration. I'm getting that old feeling of utter frustration back again laughing out loud

I've got one on the wall to my right, and ive never made it work sad

dadudemon

I still can't do the magic eye thing very well...I can barely see anything at all in 3D and I can't really make out the images.

Devil King
I've got one on the wall to my right, and ive never made it work sad

It's all about unfocusing your eyes.

I've noticed people who have trouble with them often can't see them because people are telling them what's in the picture.

Instead of trying to see something in the picture, you should be looking at the whole picture.

Syren
Sounds like a life motto stick out tongue

Mindship
http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/mot_feet_lin/index.html Feels like it's screwing around with my saccadic eye motion. eek2

You remember those 'magic eye' pictures? I could never see what was in those when I was younger but I can do it now, with a bit of concentration.
Yeah it took me a while to get those, but once I did, they were pretty cool to do.

Victor Von Doom

Look at the shadow only, which is quite easy to get going anti-clockwise. Then move up slowly. Drop back down if you lose it.

Originally posted by Devil King
It's all about unfocusing your eyes.

Yeah. Once you get the knack it's always easy.

Alpha Centauri
You can even do it without focusing on the shadow, just wait for the leg to point left or right, then as it moves out of view, just follow it either up or down and force it to go the way you want.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
The key really lies with which leg she's on. That's all that determines between the directions.

Left leg clockwise, right leg anti-clockwise.

Captain King
I only see her moving clockwise

When I try to concentrate to make her move counter-clockwise i get kindof dizzy

BackFire
I only see clockwise.

Though really, who cares? I wanna **** her. Hot naked chick spinning in circles like a little ditsy retard. Bet she can be tricked into taking anal.

Syren
laughing out loud

I can still only get her to go clockwise erm

B.A
I haven't made her change once.

Sadako of Girth
I liked your box illusion smile

http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/mot_feet_lin/index.html

this is my favorite one ever

its not related at all to the spinning girl, but I recommend everyone check it out.

Oh, and if you see the blue and yellow lines moving in "steps" you have aids.

Damn.... Seems to be more staggered on the left, towards the yellow....... Is that good Aids or the bad Aids I got....?

sad

On the initial one, I had to reeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllly try to get it counterclockwise, yet found it easier on the clockwise.
An illusion breaker for me was that the foot should be getting bigger as it sweeps round "to us" but doesnt and that perspective throuws it off, once focused on, in addition to the shadows.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by BackFire
I only see clockwise.

Though really, who cares? I wanna **** her. Hot naked chick spinning in circles like a little ditsy retard. Bet she can be tricked into taking anal.

lol

"Great, Chewie......Always thinking with your stomach...."
-Han Solo, ROTJ having just seen Backfire's 100% reasonable post

stick out tongue

Bicnarok

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.