Is Dragonball Anime Canon?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Vvendeta
Considere this articles, from Daizenshuu EX and a french Magazine with the interview of Toriyama posted by Phenomenon. Is DB anime canon?
Prove your points:
Originally posted by Phenomenol
The Anime and Me," a mini-manga by Toriyama where he talks about the origin of Dragonball and his relation in regards to the anime. It was an insert of "Dragonball Z Anime Special," 1989.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/dayspring/AnimeMe4.jpg
12: From time to time, il would happen that people whom I didn't even know were approaching me about the anime. Things were often said like: "Oh jeeze, between the manga and the anime, you must never take any time to let yourself breathe!". In reality, I had hardly worked at all on the anime, I had put confidence in my collaborators. I had enough to do just with the manga. I didn't want to work myself to death, you know...

Toriyama: I want to live until I'm 100 years old!

13: For example, drawing an image of a movement in a manga is relatively simple, but to animate this image, you had to decompose the movement and draw all the intermediary movements. That demands a colossal amount of work. (Ok, the example of Kame-sennin might not be the most appropriate...)
14: Of course, those who have read Dragon Ball have noticed that certain stories which are found in the anime didn't existe in the manga.
Oolong: What's this? I never saw that in the manga....
END: As one adventure in the manga corresponds to about 10 minutes of animation, and since one episode comprises on average 30 minutes, the entire series of Dragon Ball would have passed by very quickly. The team of animators therefore had to insert some original stories. I admire what they have done, that's a hell of a job!
Toriyama: Dragon Ball, it's the anime and the manga
Anime=Canon.

Vvendeta

Endless Mike
All it says is that he contributed some character designs for the fillers (he also did character designs for the movies and GT, those aren't canon either). In fact that interview reinforces the fact that the anime is not canon, since it states that he did not write the filler story arcs, he let the animation studio write them for him. Just because he thinks they did a good job with the fillers doesn't make them canon (especially when they directly contradict the manga).

ninjawarrior
what do canon mean

Fire Ninja
Well, Toriyama was really close to bird studio's. He even started mimicking some designs from the art director of the anime. But, that doesn't mean it's canon.

ninjawarrior
what does canon mean

Fire Ninja
Originally posted by ninjawarrior
what does canon mean

The official timeline.

Kento
It means basically is it real to DBZ manga or not and can feats in the anime be used for any of the Z characters in a fight.

That said the only thing that DB anime is canon to is itself and GT. If GT is said then the anime should be admissible but if it's just Gokou or something no mention of GT or ssj4 then no it's not because Gokou originates from the manga and all the filler in the fights are just pointless. Even if Akira did design some of the characters or a small overview of a certain arc that was filler there is still nothing that says he did anything for the filler fight scenes. And still the animation company was free to pretty do much what they wanted with the fillers he just gave a small idea of what he wanted so he still had nearly nothing to do with it so they are also pointless to use.

Phenomenol
Originally posted by Endless Mike
All it says is that he contributed some character designs for the fillers (he also did character designs for the movies and GT, those aren't canon either). In fact that interview reinforces the fact that the anime is not canon, since it states that he did not write the filler story arcs, he let the animation studio write them for him. Just because he thinks they did a good job with the fillers doesn't make them canon (especially when they directly contradict the manga).

WRONG!!

Toriyama says that the Anime and Manga are the same!!! Thus = CANON!!!

Toriyama PRAISES THE ANIME TEAM FOR DOING A GREAT JOB!!!!!!

Dragonball Anime IS CANON!!!

Kento
WRONG!!

Toriyama says that the Anime and Manga are the same!!! Thus = CANON!!!

Toriyama PRAISES THE ANIME TEAM FOR DOING A GREAT JOB!!!!!!

Dragonball Anime IS CANON!!! No where does it ever mention the anime and manga are the same. And just because he liked what they did doesn't make it canon. He didn't do it Toei did. That is why it's not canon and can't be used in a fight with Gokou. Though if it's specifically ssj4 Gokou or Vegeta then sure the anime can be used but ssj4 isn't canon either.

Creshosk
The anime is canon to the anime but not the manga
The manga is canon to the manga and not the anime.

For example the X-men cartoon is canon to the X-men cartoon.
The X-men comics are canon to the X-men comics.

However they use the same character designs, but the timelines, the story, the events that happen are completely different in each continuity. in the 90's cartoon The character Jubilee uses the design of the large pink shades, yellow trenchcoat and blue jean shorts.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/da/Jubileeanimated.jpg/180px-Jubileeanimated.jpg
Which is a design also found in the comics
http://individual.utoronto.ca/daniel_isaac/jubilee.jpg
In the cartoon Jubilee's parents are alive and well. In the comics they died long before she met the X-Men

You cannot use events from one to argue for the continuity of the other.

Likewise the events of the filler did not happen in the manga, so while they use a similar character design the timeline of events ARE different.

The manga is canon only to the manga. The anime is canon only to the anime.

Phenomenol
Originally posted by Kento
No where does it ever mention the anime and manga are the same. .

Where is your reading COMPREHENSION???

Toriyama: "Dragon Ball, it is the anime and the manga"!
roll eyes (sarcastic)

@Creshok: you are just WRONG! The author decides what is canon and part of Continuity and Toriyama stated that the Anime AND Manga is Dragonball, the same!!! The fact that you used wikipedia shows how much you failed.

Anime is canon.

Fire Ninja
Nowhere does it say the word canon or official, my dude.

Phenomenol
Originally posted by Fire Ninja
Nowhere does it say the word canon or official, my dude.

The words canon doesn't need to be used my dude. How often does Author's use the word canon? A JAPANESE AUTHOR AT THAT?? roll eyes (sarcastic)

This doens't need discussion when the Author already CLASSED tha Anime the same as the Manga you all are sad if you have to hate that much.

Kento
No where does that one sentence say that the anime is official to the manga. Stop reaching to try and make a point. The fact that he has nothing to do with the anime and that Toei did nearly everything of the fillers means it's not canon.

Fire Ninja
The words canon doesn't need to be used my dude. How often does Author's use the word canon? A JAPANESE AUTHOR AT THAT?? roll eyes (sarcastic)

I said canon or official.

This doens't need discussion when the Author already CLASSED tha Anime the same as the Manga you all are sad if you have to hate that much.

I love Dragonball Z, I just dislike fanboys like you who make us normal fans look bad. Just because we believe that Goku doesn't beat everyone, does not make us haters.

Phenomenol
Originally posted by Kento
No where does that one sentence say that the anime is official to the manga. Stop reaching to try and make a point. The fact that he has nothing to do with the anime and that Toei did nearly everything of the fillers means it's not canon

This is where you fail......... Toriyama said Dragonball IS the MANGA AND ANIME which means OFFICIAL!! LOL at you for you not thinking that it is not official. Toriyama DID do Fillers for the Anime and it doesn't matter how Much damn involvement he had with the anime because IT's HIS STORY ALREADY IN IT! The AUTHOR DECIDES WHAT IS IN CONTINUITY and TORIYAMA HIMSELF HAS STATED THAT THE ANIME AND MANGA ARE THE SAME!! God, you arguing with what the Author said is just ridiculous.

LMAO!! Don't try to change up son, and You have automatically failed for thinking that the Anime is not offical. laughing

Fire Ninja
This is where you fail......... Toriyama DID do Fillers for the Anime and it doesn't matter how Much damn involvement he had with the anime because IT's HIS STORY ALREADY IN IT! The AUTHOR DECIDES WHAT IS IN CONTINUITY and TORIYAMA HIMSELF HAS STATED THAT THE ANIME AND MANGA ARE THE SAME!! God, you arguing with what the Author said is just ridiculous.

Nowhere did he say the fillers are part of the timeline. erm

LMAO!! Don't try to change up son, and You have automatically failed for thinking that the Anime is not offical. laughing

Because it isn't.

Phenomenol
Nowhere did he say the fillers are part of the timeline. erm

Because it isn't.

LMAO, READ THE MINI-MANGA again, Toriyama stated that the Manga and Anime are the SAME!!! Period! You arguing with the Author is sad.

Fire Ninja
He did not say the they were the same. He said "Dragonball, It's the anime and the manga."

Where is does he mention the anime being official, nowhere.

Fire Ninja
"The team of animators therefore had to insert some original stories."

I.E. not from the author, Phail.

Phenomenol
He did not say the they were the same. He said "Dragonball, It's the anime and the manga."

Yeah, And that is what he means, DRAGONBALL IT IS THE ANIME AND MANGA!!!!

You need some understading. Argue with Toriyama ...

Fire Ninja
Yeah, And that is what he means, DRAGONBALL IT IS THE ANIME AND MANGA!!!!

You need some understading. Argue with Toeiyama and tell him...

Even though he did not make the original stories. Infact, that comment is vague and your own source proves that Toriyama did not work on those "Original Stories".

Phenomenol
Even though he did not make the original stories. Infact, that comment is vague and your own source proves that Toriyama did not work on those "Original Stories".

THAT's RIGHT!!!!

THE AUTHOR DECIDES WHAT IS CANON OR NOT, NOT YOU!!! TORIYAMA HAS STATED THAT DRAGONBALL IS THE ANIME AND MANGA!!

WHITEBEARD
LOL, another I hate DB POWAA!!! thread.

cool

Fire Ninja
THAT's RIGHT!!!!

Then it's not canon, since he did not work on them.

Creshosk
Where is your reading COMPREHENSION???

Toriyama: "Dragon Ball, it is the anime and the manga"!
roll eyes (sarcastic)

@Creshok: you are just WRONG! The author decides what is canon and part of Continuity and Toriyama stated that the Anime AND Manga is Dragonball, the same!!! The fact that you used wikipedia shows how much you failed.

Anime is canon. Just like both the cartoon and the comics are X-Men. However evets took place in the cartoon that did not happen in the comics. Just as the filler of Dragonball Z did not occur in the manga.

Oh yes I fail because I posted a picture hosted on wikipedia. roll eyes (sarcastic) You fail in your reading comprehension.

The picture being hosted on wikipedia does not invalidate the fact that the picture was a single screenshot taken from the opening sequence of the 90's animated X-Men.

WrathfulDwarf
Closing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.