Modern comic characters often have no soul

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zebedee
I would like to argue most new characters have no soul. Look at the recent Wraith series. It's generic, derivative and cold. It's not a hero to relate to, is it? Where are the archetypes of tommorrow or are they the same archetypes of yesteryear?

Soljer
This is becoming tantamount to trolling.

1. You're all idiots who aren't 'real' fans of comics!

2. I hate the forum most of you regularly post on.

3. New characters suck.

Hmmm...

ExodusCloak
Originally posted by Zebedee
I would like to argue most new characters have no soul. Look at the recent Wraith series. It's generic, derivative and cold. It's not a hero to relate to, is it? Where are the archetypes of tommorrow or are they the same archetypes of yesteryear?

What about some of the newer Street level/Meta level characters eg Runaways, New X-Men.

Zebedee
Originally posted by Soljer

3. New characters suck.

Hmmm...

I have said none of those things.

So the question is sho is trolling who?

grey fox

3. New characters suck.

Hmmm...

While I agree Soljer , you have to admit Z has a point. Most of the newer characters are shit.

Zebedee
Originally posted by ExodusCloak
What about some of the Street level-Meta level characters eg Runaways, New X-Men

Runaways i'll give you. The new Xmen are over 30 years old now. I think they went through there "dark" rut. With them it's become an amusing cliche Exodus.

Zebedee
Originally posted by grey fox
You have to admit Z has a point. Most of the newer characters are shit.

Exactly

ExodusCloak
Runaways i'll give you. The new Xmen are over 30 years old now. I think they went through there "dark" rut. With them it's become an amusing cliche Exodus.

I meant New X-Men as in the ones who were just invented a few years ago eg Hellion, Pixie, Mercury, Dust, Santo etc... stick out tongue
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_X-Men

Layla Miller from X-Factor is pretty awesome aswell.

But you do have point eg Emo Vulcan. But to be fair even back then you had crappy characters.

Zebedee
I meant New X-Men as in the ones who were just invented a few years ago eg Hellion, Pixie, Mercury, Dust, Santo etc... stick out tongue
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_X-Men

Layla Miller from X-Factor is pretty awesome aswell.

But you do have point eg Emo Vulcan. But to be fair even back then you had crappy characters.

Yup, it's a shame. I think the "stuff" we get shoved at us is also so generic. For every Geoff Johns you have a Dwayne McDuffie.

ExodusCloak
Yup, it's a shame. I think the "stuff" we get shoved at us is also so generic. For every Geoff Johns you have a Dwayne McDuffie.

True, it's a bit of both...for example Claremonts been around for a long time but I still think he's style is outdated and boring. While newer writers like Christos Gage have really impressed me. Then there's writers like PAD who are still amazing, as opposed to Bru(Who's not a bad writer) he's just bad when it comes to writing a team book.

Zebedee
True, it's a bit of both...for example Claremonts been around for a long time but I still think he's style is outdated and boring. While newer writers like Christos Gage have really impressed me. Then there's writers like PAD compared to Bru(Who's not a bad writer) he's just bad when it comes to writing a team book.

Claremont had a lot of good ideas but lost it around the time he thought he was a real author and started writing those awful "First flight" stories. Gage is O.K. no Alan Moore but O.K.

Switch 07
I like Vulcan.

Zebedee
Originally posted by Switch 07
I like Vulcan.

Are you Emo?

Switch 07
Not at all.

I just think hes badass.

Bad Ash231
I like Vulcan.

durfist

Switch 07
Originally posted by Bad Ash231
durfist

durfist to you.

Bad Ash231
durfist to you.

Double durfistdurfist to you.

Switch 07
durfist to me. sad

Battlehammer
WELL YOU ALL HAVE NO SOULS

llagrok
Originally posted by grey fox
While I agree Soljer , you have to admit Z has a point. Most of the newer characters are shit.

CAREFULLY, REREAD SOLJER'S POST

3. New characters suck.

Hmmm...

Switch 07
Originally posted by Battlehammer
WELL YOU ALL HAVE NO SOULS I HAVE MORE SOUL THAN YOU!!! durfist

llagrok
Also, what's up with making fun of Wraith? The guy actually wears his soul, of course he's going to be a weirdo. People look to him for awesome action and fighting, they don't expect much more than your 5$ emo story.

Star-lord, now there's a good, revived character.

tjcoady
agreed. Wraith is actually one of the better characters that I've seen introduced in a while.

Or maybe the reason new characters have no soul is because we've been reading about the same characters, concepts, and franchises in some cases for nearly sixty years.

I've seen plenty of new comic books that have brilliantly written characters. They're just not Marvel/DC superheroes.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.