Do wizard need magic wands to do magic?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sam Z
We know that all young wizards can do magic long before they get their first magic wands. Then they go to school. And for some reason the moment they lose their weapon in a fight they're completely helpless. What's up with that? Also, in POA book Harry opens a wardrobe with a spell to get his wand out of it. Which means that wizards do not really need wands to do magic. I always thought of wands as of just a beter way to release magic powers, but in the last book it seems that wizards can't do crap without their weapons, not even teleport.

So what do you think about this? confused

Oh, and while I'm at it. Do you, guys think that "protego" spell can block or deflect bullets?

siriuswriter
Wizards generally can only produce wandless magic when they're under great stress or emotion. For example, in OotP, Harry sort of Summons his wand using wandless magic, because he is so desperate to save himself and Dudley from the dementors.

The example of blowing up Aunt Marge is also wandless magic - Harry was pushed past his anger limit, and so he accidentally performed wandless magic.

I think that wands in the wizarding world are more of a way to control a wizard's powers than anything else, to help channel everything. Otherwise there would just be little bursts of magic happening all the time whenever someone had an excessive emotion.

We also know that extremely powerful wizards can perform wandless magic under control - Dumbledore can do this, for example.

potcfan2003
I think that you can perform accidental wandless magic, but not controlled unless you're a great wizard like Dumbledore... I think wizards need wands to perform magic on purpose...

ndfreak
But There is the notion that you can perform magic you've never been able to do before under life threatening circumstances or hard times. For instance if you lose your wand and are about to be killed, maybe you'd be able to stun the attacker without a wand. Just a thought.

gh_hr _for_eva
i think the fact that is potrayed in the book is that you need to not be powerful but be strong the wand is just an advice to help the core release magic

regina414
I think those wands help wizards to moderately execute their powers.

Rajendra
i believe magics is what your mind perceives and it is the product of your thoughts...

Council#13
Wizards can do magic without wands. Some of the examples are what siriuswriter listed out. There's also the time when Harry released the snake, magically appeared on top of his school, turned his teacher's hair purple, and when Lily Evans levitated herself.

In the seventh book, the goblins reveal that they are bitter because wizards do not teach them the art of wand-magic. In turn, they refuse to teach the wizards hand-magic.

marco_taco5
I agree, and i do think that a POWERFUL shield charm (protego) could block bullets coz it block physical contact.

jdea
Originally posted by siriuswriter
Wizards generally can only produce wandless magic when they're under great stress or emotion. For example, in OotP, Harry sort of Summons his wand using wandless magic, because he is so desperate to save himself and Dudley from the dementors.

The example of blowing up Aunt Marge is also wandless magic - Harry was pushed past his anger limit, and so he accidentally performed wandless magic.

I think that wands in the wizarding world are more of a way to control a wizard's powers than anything else, to help channel everything. Otherwise there would just be little bursts of magic happening all the time whenever someone had an excessive emotion.

We also know that extremely powerful wizards can perform wandless magic under control - Dumbledore can do this, for example.

well said, I agree 100%

trevor9999
i think wands are a good way to channel magic, but not control it. i think it depends on the kind of wizard you are, the kind of wand you have, and how you feel at a time with no wand and you are in danger. like how harry was feeling about his father and guardian when he was at the white lake, dementors circling all around. smart it all shows how much you research reading smart smart

Deception
You would think so...

Otherwise why would Voldemort, Dumbledore and all the Death Eaters utilise their wands?

Perhaps for weaker or lesser magic skills they won't need it but for every lethal or powerful spell, they would require a wand to do so..

cheesemon16
NO they don't because dumbledore dosnt use a wand and he dose magic.

SamZED
Only in movies. I dont recall him use magic without the wand in the books. Harry on the other hand did it several times. Sometimes by accident and once on purpose.

Kris Blaze
No.

They need their wands to better focus their magic though.

allofyousuckkk
In the movies, powerful wizards like Dumbledore are able to do wandless magic.

However, in the book it never specifies whether or not wandless magic can be used. Dumbledore never actually does it, and the instance in the 5th book where Harry is trying to find his wand, his spell doesn't work.

If I'm not mistaken, it's explained that wands are used to focus a wizard's power through the magical core, and many different things can be used to do this, however a wand is obviously preferable.

That ACDC Chick
little kiddie wizards and witches do it by accident all the time when theyre young whixh is why they arent monitored and punished for performing magic at home until they enter school and recieve a wand

eyebuck108
Usually, witches and wizards accustomed to using wands can only reliably perform wandless magic if they possess great skill. However, within regions of the wizarding world that historically did not use wands, wandless magic is considered the norm, and using one is optional.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.