Evil Dead (2013)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

steverules
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/071017e.php

Kazenji
I'd rather see a 4th evil dead then a remake of the first one myself.

Bloinky
Ehh, I could actually probably see both of them if they were made.

SelphieT
I'd definitely see them both just to see what they'd be like but....

They just can't remake a movie like that. Movies have changed so much, and so have effects, and.....it just wouldn't be the same.... not the same feel or anything.

Wolfie
I'd see them. I doubt I'd like a remake. At least they said before that they have no intention of replacing Ash.

Menetnashté
Remake would suck. He'd be too old and besides two was basically a remake. I'd love to see a sequel though

Wolfie

Kazenji
And also how would the tree rape scene get pass the movie studio producers they'll probably get sam raimi to change it or some shit.

vintageSW77
Evil Dead cannot be remade
its a movie of its time surounded by the video nasties controv of the mid 80s that stands as a unique classic.
I can see a log cabin in the woods attacked by deadites will get the kids jized up but its a remake too far.
Enough of these pointless remakes.

steverules
I remember seeing evil dead for the first time when I bought it on PSP and I loved it, tbh I doubt a remake could match or out do how well Evil dead did, I think it's best to leave it be rather than remake it

SelphieT
Originally posted by Kazenji
And also how would the tree rape scene get pass the movie studio producers they'll probably get sam raimi to change it or some shit.

Well Raimi did say he regretted putting that scene in the movie.....

But who knows.

vintageSW77
Judging by the wave of horror which is all about the crass i suspect the tree rape will be in and last about half an hour

HueyFreeman
Originally posted by SelphieT
Well Raimi did say he regretted putting that scene in the movie.....

But who knows. Thats stupid. That scene is memorable. The original(and best) can't be remade.

steverules
The tree rape will be the movie laughing out loud

Evil Dead
I disagree whole heartedly. The Evil Dead made very little money, and that was on video. A remake would make more money in it's opening weekend than the original has in the 26 years since it was released.

I'm all for a remake. It's a great story that they could go basically anywhere with. All they need is a group of college kids going to a cabin in the woods and unwittingly unleashing the evil dead. There's 5 minutes of film time. Completely new characters, completely new situations............could be great stuff. Forget all this loyalty that horror-geeks seem to have...."don't remake that, it's sacred". To hell with that. If you can make a good horror movie to entertain me, go for it. I'd rather have a remake done right with the original film maker as the producer than to have some cheap knock-off B movie without even paying tribute to the name of the movie they're ripping the idea from.

steverules
Oh...well ok then

ragesRemorse
Considering that there have been talks about a evil dead4 for a few years now and starting last year, Raimi shooting down all possibilities of another one. I doubt that information is current. I would like to think it is though. I have read and seen several interviews of him saying that a remake is something he wants to and has been trying to do.

It doesnt make sense that they would make both an evil dead 4 and a remake. An evil dead remake is obviously going to be geared to revitalizing the story and introducing new fans. Releasing an evil dead 4 or a remake of Evil dead followed by the other would just confuse non fans and most likely dissuade them from attending the second movie. Personally i dont think the series should be touched. The appeal of the movies are due to the low budget cheeseball fun intertwined with some legetimitely scary moments. As a fan of the series, a remake that focuses soley on the horror aspect would feel out of place.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
There is supposed to be a remake. Raimi knows what to do so he'll prolly remake his own film.

Evil Dead
Raimi's production company will indeed be remaking the film. However, he has already stated that he will not be writing it, he wants new writers and film makers to put their twist on the story. The only command from Raimi is that the character of Ash is not allowed to be used in the story in any way.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Evil Dead
Raimi's production company will indeed be remaking the film. However, he has already stated that he will not be writing it, he wants new writers and film makers to put their twist on the story. The only command from Raimi is that the character of Ash is not allowed to be used in the story in any way.

now that sounds interesting. I wonder if it will follow the same angle of being told through a personal perspective of one person caught in the midst of unfolding evil or a group. I think Evil dead 1&2 are quite unique in that respect. There are not many horror movies where there is essentially no supporting characters. I think it gives a sense of dread.

Kazenji
Evil Dead 4 possibly coming?

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/25298

Kazenji
Diablo Cody hired to rewrite

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/?a=41706

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by General_Iroh
Remake would suck. He'd be too old and besides two was basically a remake. I'd love to see a sequel though

Exactly. I'd MUCH rather see a 4th Evil Dead film from Raimi. Drag Me To Hell was entertaining and hilarious at times, but I didn't think it lived up to Raimi's Evil Dead series at all because that lead actress was so f***ing boring (plus the ending was retarded to me, but anyway...)

Perhaps Raimi wants to test the waters with a remake and see how successful that is before he bothers with another sequel? However, in my opinion, I don't think that'll be a fair way to judge: a remake won't have HIM in the director's chair (it'll be some other clown).

Kazenji
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Exactly. I'd MUCH rather see a 4th Evil Dead film from Raimi. Drag Me To Hell was entertaining and hilarious at times, but I didn't think it lived up to Raimi's Evil Dead series at all because that lead actress was so f***ing boring (plus the ending was retarded to me, but anyway...)

How was the ending retarded?

Patient_Leech
She just got dragged to hell. I suppose the title of the movie might have been false advertising if she didn't, but I was expecting something a bit more creative and satisfying, or at least funny.. heh.

jinXed by JaNx
i liked drag me to hell. It gave an idea of what Raimi might be capable of with a remake or sequel to evil dead.

Kazenji
She just got dragged to hell. I suppose the title of the movie might have been false advertising if she didn't, but I was expecting something a bit more creative and satisfying, or at least funny.. heh.

I don't see how its retarded ending personally

they got rid of the curse by sealing it in that envelope and she then gets told to pass it on and after all that gets her in the end.

killerklowns13

Perhaps Raimi wants to test the waters with a remake and see how successful that is before he bothers with another sequel? However, in my opinion, I don't think that'll be a fair way to judge: a remake won't have HIM in the director's chair (it'll be some other clown).

i thought drag me to hell was awesome, but nothing raimi could do would ever live up to ed2. drag me to hell reminded me of the raimi i rember as a kid before all the mainstream movies he started doing.

Kazenji
Evil Dead Remake Synopsis Revealed

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=48988

a junkie subplot involved.

Kazenji
The logo

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=83913

darkriddle
I don't like the idea of Diablo Cody writing the remake, because it doesn't seem that she has any real strong points for writing a horror script, let alone The Evil Dead, which relies heavily on true horror aesthetics.

Sure it "might" work but it makes as much sense as hiring Stephen King to rewrite Juno.

As for Bruce Campbell as Ash; sure it would make no sense to have him in a remake, but no one wants a remake - most fans including me, want either another sequel or a spin-off of the series.

Raimi could easily do a great sequel using an older Ash/Bruce to maybe even introduce a new hero for a spin-off film. And Bruce, though old, seems fit enough to reprise some pretty cool action roles as seen on his current series Burn Notice.

Because Raimi must know that any sequel to the ED series would generate big money, I doubt that he's giving up on Evil Dead for good.

Wolfie
I'd rather see an adaptation of Evil Dead: The Musical.

Originally posted by darkriddle
I don't like the idea of Diablo Cody writing the remake, because it doesn't seem that she has any real strong points for writing a horror script, let alone The Evil Dead, which relies heavily on true horror aesthetics.

Sure it "might" work but it makes as much sense as hiring Stephen King to rewrite Juno.

As for Bruce Campbell as Ash; sure it would make no sense to have him in a remake, but no one wants a remake - most fans including me, want either another sequel or a spin-off of the series.

Raimi could easily do a great sequel using an older Ash/Bruce to maybe even introduce a new hero for a spin-off film. And Bruce, though old, seems fit enough to reprise some pretty cool action roles as seen on his current series Burn Notice.

Because Raimi must know that any sequel to the ED series would generate big money, I doubt that he's giving up on Evil Dead for good.
Are you kidding?! Didn't you see Jennifer's Body?! It was amazing!

Now to switch out of sarcasm mode....

Bruce Campbell won't return as Ash. He said too much time has gone by and he knows a lot of people would hate it if he were to reprise the role. He referenced Indiana Jones 4 as an example of how people would react to Evil Dead 4.

Plus, he has it made with Burn Notice. It's a great show and I'm glad to see consistent work from him in a successful TV show.

And I doubt Evil Dead 4 would make much money. That's why you're not seeing many sequels of old series anymore. The target audience is a new generation who has never seen Evil Dead, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, etc. Remakes probably generate more money.

darkriddle
Originally posted by Wolfie
Are you kidding?! Didn't you see Jennifer's Body?!

Are you serious? Or joking?

I know you're kidding, but that movie does raise some interesting points here.

Jennifer's Body was horrible. Bad script, bad film, and bad take on the horror genera with little or no originality. It was like High School Musical with a Twilight Vampire thrown in.

I do think Cody is talented in certain generas (Juno was original and impressive) but she doesn't fit horror. Jennifer's Body proved that.

The only thing attractive about the movie was Megan Fox, to which is probably the only reason people went to see it.

Further more - Jennifer's Body was NOT scary - not in the least bit, while ED certainly was. Jennifer's Body was more of a "High School exploitation" flick and not true horror in my opinion.

Compare that to Evil Dead #1 which was a horror film that incorporated a lot of fantastic effects without CGI and on a budget that would force many filmmakers to bail out.

Jennifer's Body is the reason why I feel Cody CAN'T do a good Evil Dead remake, because it was such a shoddy film even without being compared to Evil Dead.

Unless she wrote a really good horror film that I don't know about, I think she should stick with what she is really good at -- NON-horror movies.

There are a few director/writers that are big fans of Evil Dead that I think should be picked over her, i.e The Walking Dead's Frank Durobont, not to mention Stephen King, who actually had an endorsement of the film on the old video cassette covers.

But I could be wrong. So I ask; does anybody here think that Jennifer's Body was a strong enough horror film to give Cody enough credit for a shot to remake Evil Dead?

.....................................................................................

Sequels VS Remakes: If sequels are backed up with good directors they can be very successful and make more money than remakes. These types of films do not cater to certain generations, they are just great films. Case in Point - James Cameron's, Aliens, Terminator 2, and Romero's Dawn of the Dead.

There is no need to produce remakes, if sequels are put into the hands of talented people.

Wolfie
Originally posted by darkriddle
Sequels VS Remakes: If sequels are backed up with good directors they can be very successful and make more money than remakes. These types of films do not cater to certain generations, they are just great films. Case in Point - James Cameron's, Aliens, Terminator 2, and Romero's Dawn of the Dead.

There is no need to produce remakes, if sequels are put into the hands of talented people.
Aliens: seven years after Alien
Terminator 2: seven years after The Terminator
Dawn of the Dead: 10 years after Night of the Living Dead
the hypothetical Evil Dead 4: 19 years after Army of Darkness

Don't get me wrong. Some sequels are successful after the series has been done for a long time. But these are all movies that prove to have huge fanbases. We're not talking cult classics, we're talking major blockbusters. George Lucas was able to make The Phantom Menace 16 years after Return of the Jedi because it's Star Wars. The same goes (more or less) for Indiana Jones, Alien, and Terminator.

I don't think you can use Romero's Dead films in this debate because each of them stand alone as their own movies, even if they are classified as sequels.

Think of the mentality of the market. When a sequel comes to theaters, what sways one's decision on whether or not to see it is if one has seen the previous films. That's not the only factor, but it's a big one. I didn't see Fast Five. Why? Because I haven't seen the first four movies (among other reasons).

And those are recent movies. Imagine this scenario. A 17-year-old (major demographic) is standing in line, deciding which movie to see. Does he want to see The Woman in Black? Maybe, it is starring the Harry Potter kid. Another choice is Evil Dead 4. "Wait, Evil Dead? What's that? Isn't that an old movie that came out back when my parent were dating? Yeah, it's even starring some old dude."

See where a remake would capture that teen better than a sequel?

Kazenji
Originally posted by Wolfie

And those are recent movies. Imagine this scenario. A 17-year-old (major demographic) is standing in line, deciding which movie to see. Does he want to see The Woman in Black? Maybe, it is starring the Harry Potter kid. Another choice is Evil Dead 4. "Wait, Evil Dead? What's that? Isn't that an old movie that came out back when my parent were dating? Yeah, it's even starring some old dude."
?

Sad how some of the younger folk think like that....

ares834
So I've been thinking about this recently and I don't think another sequal is the way to go. Army of Darkness was a self-parady and I honestly, can think of way to make the series go in a serious direction after that. A remake is the only way to go IMO.

Of course, this leaves the question who should play Ash as Bruce won't be returning? I think the best choice would be Nick Brendon who played Xander in Buffy. Anyway, my two cents on the situation.

Kazenji
Originally posted by ares834
So I've been thinking about this recently and I don't think another sequal is the way to go. Army of Darkness was a self-parady a

Well its worked for the comic series just fine can't see why another Evil Dead movie like Army of Darkness can be done.

Evil Dead
I last commented on this movie 5 years ago (page 1). Still hasn't been made yet. Jesus Christ.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Evil Dead
I last commented on this movie 5 years ago (page 1). Still hasn't been made yet. Jesus Christ.

You sure about that

Bruce Campbell says the remake is "Fabulous"

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=93825

the ninjak
All the angst from the so-called fans at there being a remake is odd to me.

One would think they would be as excited as heck!

Evil Dead 2 was a remake of The Evil Dead. And films like this are made to be remade.

I can't wait. Drag me to Hell was awesome. I've been waiting for this for a long time.

Kazenji
Did you ever see 'My Name Is Bruce' ninjak?

Myth
I simultaneously enjoyed My Name is Bruce while being disappointed by it.

Kazenji
I was slightly disappointed with it the first viewing, but i liked it alot more with a second viewing.

the ninjak
Did you ever see 'My Name Is Bruce' ninjak?

Nah never saw it.

Kazenji
http://img2-2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2012/10/10/Evil-Dead_510x316.jpg

the ninjak
http://img2-2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2012/10/10/Evil-Dead_510x316.jpg

DEAD BY DAWN! DEAD BY DAWN!

Kazenji
A bootlegged trailer got uploaded

sounds like its good from some comments i've seen

found it......watch it quick before its taken down.

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00054688.html

the ninjak
Looks good from what I saw. It looks like it's gonna have none of the tongue in cheek fun though. Which could really hurt it.

Kazenji
The first movie had tongue in check fun?

the ninjak
To a degree, though the 2nd film was a remake of the first.

And the one people cherish the most.

Kazenji
Originally posted by the ninjak

Well more of a Requel

also it seems this remake is going to much more violent then the original

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1695592/evil-dead-ratings-gore.jhtml

Kazenji
hoziF8HTcaghoziF8HTca

Jedi Sheriff
Kinda disappointed with that trailer, it looks very run-of-the-mill, like everything else that comes out these days.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Jedi Sheriff
Kinda disappointed with that trailer, it looks very run-of-the-mill, like everything else that comes out these days.

Well i suppose they do have to stick somewhat to the original movies story.

Patient_Leech
The first movie had tongue in fun?

Yes.

Yeah, I think ED II is basically a remake of the first one. I like ED II the best, too.

Just saw the teaser red band trailer. Not sure what to think. It doesn't appear to have the same sense of humor that the originals had. I mean, it looks so over-the-top gory as to be somewhat humorous, but that's different from the humor of the original. I dunno... it's obviously a very different take on the original and yeah, it looks like The Ring or any other run-of-the-mill horror movie these days, just with more gore. But with good direction it could work. Just have to wait and see. I hope they set it up to go in the same direction that Army of Darkness went in... except traveling to some alternate demonic dimension or something... haha

Jedi Sheriff
Evil Dead ends with Ash being thrown into a tree. The same thing happens about 7 minutes into Evil Dead 2, which to me means that it is a remake up until that point, then after he gets thrown into the tree, that is when the sequel begins.

Kazenji
Yes.

Well i don't remember the first movie having "Tongue in fun" with it.

yeah a woman getting raped by a tree what great fun seeing that

sounds like folks need to re-watch the first movie there was no "Tongue in fun"

the ninjak
Well i don't remember the first movie having "Tongue in fun" with it.

yeah a woman getting raped by a tree what great fun seeing that

sounds like folks need to re-watch the first movie there was no "Tongue in fun"

Look I agree the first film was more serious than the 2nd. Who wouldn't.

I wrote the first was "to a degree" tongue in cheek. And it was, it was subtle but it was.

The more important point is that this new film ignores all such feeling.
It's going for Extreme Gore than any of the original films. Which is fail personally unless they do JUST RIGHT.

Evil Dead rides on the "exploitation film" genre. And if this film does what it wants to do...."creep people out" with a degree of dry wit. Then it succeeds in being a good successor of the series.

The Horror genre is something I adore and study with much respect.
And a great Horror film requires absorption, creep factor, immersion, iconic characters and a degree of humor/release.

If it's nothing more than erratic gross outs and SFX with hot actors playing their parts then it will fail heavily.

The producers are no doubt trying to catch that "magic in a bottle" II had yet appealing to the current generation. And that's where the trailer has already failed.

"Grit" is the ultimate term that holds all the greatest Horror films together. And the trailer I saw was the opposite. It was polished. Glossy. Commercialized.

But we'll see. I never judge a film by its trailer.

Patient_Leech
Yeah. What ninjak said.

Look I agree the first film was more serious than the 2nd. Who wouldn't.

I wrote the first was "to a degree" tongue in cheek. And it was, it was subtle but it was.

It wasn't even that subtle. It just got played up more in Evil Dead II. And it was that charm that made it stand out. Like you said, this new trailer looks very polished and commercialized. Let us hope the final product isn't so cliched.

jinzin
I'm actually looking forward to this film. I do agree that it looks "run of the mill" horror, but in all totality I'm excited to see them take the old story in a different direction. Between the soundtrack and the imagery, the trailer's already quite disturbing. And I contend that the original Evil Dead didn't have much in the way of tongue in cheek. The majority of what it *does* have is a byproduct of the times and/or budget. Sam Raimi also has the benefit of doubt in that he hasn't completely lost his shit (I actually really enjoyed Drag Me to Hell). Like I said, looking forward to this one way or the other.

the ninjak
Yeah Drag Me To Hell was awesome. And I agree, I'm also looking forward to this.

Patient_Leech
Meh, I had mixed feelings about Drag Me To Hell, but I've been meaning to watch it again. I'll do that soon.

Originally posted by jinzin
I'm excited to see them take the old story in a different direction. Between the soundtrack and the imagery, the trailer's already quite disturbing.

I can agree with that. I'm certainly willing to give it a chance. I'm more open to them remaking Evil Dead 1 than Evil Dead II. It would be blasphemy to try to remake Evil Dead II, heh..

the ninjak
How can you not like Drag me to Hell???

The film was an expert piece of Horror Comedy.

Patient_Leech
The film was an expert piece of Horror Comedy.

I don't disagree. Don't get me wrong, I laughed uproariously at moments, and there were definitely some classic Raimi horror/comedy moments, but I found the lead actress boring. And to me the over-the-top Bruce Campbell is what made Evil Dead so entertaining and amusing (Pt. II being the best, imo). That and I didn't like the ending. But I'm going to watch it again soon now that there is no hype surrounding it and see how it plays..

Patient_Leech
A pretty bold statement, I think (it's probably not going to live up to it)...

http://media2.firstshowing.net/firstshowing/img5/evildead-remake-firstposter-full.jpg

the ninjak
Bold statement.

Love the old school lettering.

Kazenji
No movie ever has for me personally.

Robtard
Looks like your standard modern horror movie crapfest with a recycled name, imo.

Which is upsetting, cos I greatly enjoy Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness.

Mindset
Originally posted by Robtard
Looks like your standard modern horror movie crapfest with a recycled name, imo.

Which is upsetting, cos I greatly enjoy Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness. Exactly.

I would rather have another sequel with Raimi and Bruce.

Jedi Sheriff
Originally posted by Mindset

I agree. But here would said sequel take place? In the S-Mart world at the end of the cinematic elease, or the apocalypse ending at the end of the DC?

DirkBosch
I am totally agreed that Evil dead is very well known horror movies. It contain horror stuff in the movie.

Impediment
I took the liberty of moving this thread to the more active MDF since I, personally, think that this movie will get a lot of buzz.

v3UiELNrjhE

Myth
This movie looks so F'ed up. I can't wait.

FirstBlood 4EVA
Can't wait for this, The Evil Dead was my favourite horror movie growing up!!!

It looks like they are keeping a lot of the original ideas in the new film with but designed it for the young folk of today..

They may change it up a little by the time it hits theatres...Just to suprise the old die hards....

Patient_Leech

So would I, but Bruce is old and fat, so it really wouldn't be the same. Kind of like Indiana Jones trying to come back now that he's old. That sucked massively.

Mindset
So would I, but Bruce is old and fat, so it really wouldn't be the same. Kind of like Indiana Jones trying to come back now that he's old. That sucked massively. Do you watch Burn Notice?

He handles the action scenes in that well.

Indiana Jones sucked because the story sucked, Harrison's age was irrelevant.

Kazenji
Hell even look at Bruce Willis, Age isn't stopping him with the Die Hard movies

or even the old action movie stars in Expendables.

Mindset
thumb up

Besides, it's not like Ash was a character who did backflips and shit anyway.

He pretty much does the exact same stuff Sam (Bruce) does in Burn Notice.

Patient_Leech
Indiana Jones sucked because the story sucked, Harrison's age was irrelevant.

I disagree. It sucked for many different reasons, and his age was one of them.

Mindset
What did his age change about the movies?

He was doing the same things he did in the previous ones.

Patient_Leech
What did his age change about the movies?

He was doing the same things he did in the previous ones.

Well, Indiana Jones (moreso than Evil Dead) is largely successful because it's about the male-fantasy escapism of being young, good looking, adventurous and getting the beautiful woman. Indiana Jones 4 was doomed to fail from the start because he was no longer young, good looking and there was no beautiful woman (not to mention the endless list of other stupid shit in it, but that's a whole other topic, heh).

Mindset
Well, Indiana Jones (moreso than Evil Dead) is largely successful because it's about the male-fantasy escapism of being young, good looking, adventurous and getting the beautiful woman. Indiana Jones 4 was doomed to fail from the start because he was no longer young, good looking and there was no beautiful woman (not to mention the endless list of other stupid shit in it, but that's a whole other topic, heh). Replace old Harrison Ford in any of the other movies and it would have still been successful.

I think you just had a crush on him.

Patient_Leech
Yuck yuck. Good one. Yet another potentially interesting discussion crushed by someone trying to be witty.

Mindset
I wasn't trying to be witty, and the discussion had already ran it's course. With me being right and you being wrong.

Also, I think you mean hyuck.

the ninjak
I believe starting fresh is the smart thing to do.

Focus on the Deadites. Ash ain't coming back. Blow our minds with the extreme hate and viscous violence the badguys can supply.

If he returns in the 2nd film we have someone to root for. In the meantime having an old Bruce Campbell is a bad decision. And trying to recast him is an even worst one.

Exploitation cinema in Horror is something Hollywood has lost for sooooo many years. Let them step lightly yet boldly.

Bruce Campbell is a bad choice. And that's coming from an extreme fan of nostalgic Horror. He won't work and I'm sure he will agree.

Patient_Leech
I wasn't trying to be witty, and the discussion had already ran it's course. With me being right and you being wrong.

Also, I think you mean hyuck.

Since you're right I'm sure some movie studio executive with see this and start a big "geriatric action hero" trend. Sure to be a hit.

Mindset
Since you're right I'm sure some movie studio executive with see this and start a big "geriatric action hero" trend. Sure to be a hit. Yea, you mean like the last Die Hard, the next DH, the latest Rambo, the new action movie Schwarzenegger is coming out with, the last couple Lethal Weapons, and Expendables 1/2?

Yea...so like I said.

Mindset
I believe starting fresh is the smart thing to do.

Focus on the Deadites. Ash ain't coming back. Blow our minds with the extreme hate and viscous violence the badguys can supply.

If he returns in the 2nd film we have someone to root for. In the meantime having an old Bruce Campbell is a bad decision. And trying to recast him is an even worst one.

Exploitation cinema in Horror is something Hollywood has lost for sooooo many years. Let them step lightly yet boldly.

Bruce Campbell is a bad choice. And that's coming from an extreme fan of nostalgic Horror. He won't work and I'm sure he will agree. Well, he would be a bad choice for this Evil Dead because it isn't anything like the old ones from what I've seen. More serious than campy.

Kazenji
More serious than campy.

Which the first movie was.

Mindset
Not really.

It was definitely the most serious, but it was no Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

The movies got progressively more comedic, but I wouldn't say the first wasn't campy.

Patient_Leech
Yea, you mean like the last Die Hard, the next DH, the latest Rambo, the new action movie Schwarzenegger is coming out with, the last couple Lethal Weapons, and Expendables 1/2?

Yea...so like I said.

Bruce Willis has aged very well, Rambo wasn't quite the same as the previous three, and Expendables sucked. Besides, they were born more out of desperation to rehash old money-makers than some intentional plan to put older people in action-hero roles.

Kazenji
and Expendables sucked.

I guess your from another universe or something

it certainly did not suck.

Mindset
Bruce Willis has aged very well, Rambo wasn't quite the same as the previous three, and Expendables sucked. So has Bruce Campbell.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/evil-dead-bruce-campbell.jpg

Look at this stud.

no homo

And Expandables sucking?

Axt5NktgxEc

FirstBlood 4EVA
Replace old Harrison Ford in any of the other movies and it would have still been successful.

I think you just had a crush on him.

Harrison Ford only played Indiana Jones due to Tom selleck turning the role down as he had commitments with filming Magnum PI...

luxuryglasstint

Mindset
Originally posted by FirstBlood 4EVA
Harrison Ford only played Indiana Jones due to Tom selleck turning the role down as he had commitments with filming Magnum PI... Ok.

Patient_Leech
So has Bruce Campbell.

Are you blind..? He's fat and grey. Bruce Willis is still trim and had the foresight long ago to keep his head shaved.

Mindset
You are wrong.

Just let it go.

Patient_Leech
Oh, good one. You'd make a good propagandist.

trashau
It is a continuity of the horror series. This is the great examples of the horror movie.

Kazenji
Oh, good one. You'd make a good propagandist.

And your in denial.

the ninjak
Ash is Ash.........

Time to look ahead.

Robtard
If Campbell lost 50 pounds, he'd still make an awesome older Ash in another of the Raimi ED flicks.

the ninjak
He sure would.

A cool Gran Torino Evil Dead would blow their minds!

"Hey kid don't touch that book"
"What is it?"
"Hell!"

Kid reads the book and unleashes hell amongst the neighborhood.

Ash fights the dead in the local mall. "shop smart shop S Mart".

F that!

Evil Dead is satanic hatred of the living. Let it do it's thing.

Mindset
What?

Shut up.

the ninjak
Aint happening.

Mindset
No one said it was.

Your last post was chomper though.

the ninjak
No one is gonna watch an elderly Campbell fight Deadites.

It's just sad.

Robtard

It's just sad.

He's 54, not 74. I'd watch it, especially if he lost the fat gut and loose jowls. Older Ash could still kick much Deadite ass.

It's sad they seemingly recycled the Evil Dead name for yet another garden variety shit horror flick. We need more Cabin In The Woods and less Sinisters, Paranormal Activities and the like.

the ninjak
Originally posted by Robtard
He's 54, not 74. I'd watch it, especially if he lost the fat gut and loose jowls. Older Ash could still kick much Deadite ass.

It's sad they seemingly recycled the Evil Dead name for yet another garden variety shit horror flick. We need more Cabin In The Woods and less Sinisters, Paranormal Activities and the like.

The whole point of the Evil Dead was teenagers happening amongst a dark book in a forest that tore their souls apart. smile

A cheerleader and her boyfriend!

If we introduce her smart uncle then the funfactor falls apart. Cabin in the Woods struggled with such a plot and they were all the same age.
Ash won't work!

Robtard
The whole point of the Evil Dead was teenagers happening amongst a dark book in a forest that tore their souls apart. smile

A cheerleader and her boyfriend!

If we introduce her smart uncle then the funfactor falls apart. Cabin in the Woods struggled with such a plot and they were all the same age.
Ash won't work!

It's been some time since I've seen Evil Dead, but Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness had nothing to do with teens, son.

Not if that smart uncle is Bruce Campbell and he's playing Ash, then the fun factor is multiplied to infinity+1.

Cabin in The Woods did not struggle, it was fun and entertaining opening to close, you dirty communist.

the ninjak
Ash was a teen in the woods, with his girlfriend having a good time.

You brought up 54. It's WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY too old for such tale.

No way is he gonna experience this "adventure" at that age without being creepy!

You guys are damn crazy..........

You damn commie bastards.

Mindset

It's just sad. People watch him fight spies and assasins every week.

Mindset
Ash was a teen in the woods, with his girlfriend having a good time.

You brought up 54. It's WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY too old for such tale.

No way is he gonna experience this "adventure" at that age without being creepy!

You guys are damn crazy..........

You damn commie bastards. You realize we aren't talking about a remake with him, but a sequel, right?

the ninjak
People watch him fight spies and assasins every week.

Sure they do.

You realize we aren't talking about a remake with him, but a sequel, right?

I know. He could've sold a great old man vs the Deadite movie but he didn't..........unfortunately.

Mindset
Ever heard of Burn Notice?

the ninjak
Ever heard of Burn Notice?

I know Bruce Rocks. We all do. But he won't work in a such a movie.

Robtard
I know Bruce Rocks. We all do. But he won't work in a such a movie.

He's worked in ED, ED2 and Army of Darkness. So suck it, hater.

the ninjak
I guess I can't see a 54 yr old representing a teenager........sue me. This shit feels like Grease.

I'm sure the man himself agrees.

Robtard
I guess I can't see a 54 yr old representing a teenager........sue me.

Why are you stuck on an Evil Dead flick having to be about teenagers?

We're talking about a continuation of the franchise with Campbell, not a crappy generic horror reboot with the Evil Dead name stuck on as a means to draw crowds.

the ninjak
I'm talking about the reboot. I'm all for an Evil Dead 4 with Bruce.

Esau Cairn
The point is, if Campbell did come back & reprise his role as an older Ash, fans will be disappointed.

Campbell will either be branded as a cheap, corny sell-out if he says the same catch-phrases as a wink wink nod to his fan base OR they'll brand him, "Not as funny as before."

Fans will be expecting too much from him & if the director fails with the action & witty one-liners, it will be Campbell that the fans will place blame on.
It's a no-win situation for Campbell.

Kazenji
Its not that hard to do new catch phrases anyway

managed think up new one for the games & Comics.

Esau Cairn
Its not that hard to do new catch phrases anyway

managed think up new one for the games & Comics.

I'm just thinking of Expandables 2.
I mean some people found it funny with the different actors using eachothers' catchphrases...I personally found it embarrassing & corny.

A bit too try hard.

Kazenji
Finally Time For 'Evil Dead 4'?

http://www.nextmovie.com/blog/sam-raimi-evil-dead-4-script/

Kazenji
Raimi Says Fans Are Pushing Him Into Making Evil Dead 4

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Sam-Raimi-Says-Fans-Pushing-Him-Making-Evil-Dead-4-36132.html

Kazenji
So has any folks in America that are on here checked out this movie out?

Ascendancy

People I've heard talking about it said they confused gore with horror and that it has none of the fun of the original.

KingD19
That's not true. It's got gore and horror both, probably a bit more of the former than the latter, but hey, I like my horror movies with some splatter. As for fun, it has lots of fun, but it's more serious than the original, as the original was made back int he day were most movies like that were campy B movies. It's got a cameo from Ash in the after-credit scene though.

Kazenji
More serious then the original?......no expression

the original was serious

i'll check it out when it arrives in the cinemas over here, Better not get a dvd release or even a limited release in cinemas.

Robtard

Last night. It was more of a gore-fest than the psychological horror crap that is prevalent these days and that fail badly at putting you on edge (The Possession, Sinister etc), so that was a plus for me, as I was expediting the former.

Definitely worth the watch if you're a fan of gore, but it's not great.

Arachnid1
I just saw it. I like it.

The main girl was a badass. Her getting the chainsaw arm and using it to kill the demon was ****ing awesome. Her brother was awesome for bringing her back. I thought for sure his plan was going to backfire.

Myth
As a fan of the original series, I really enjoyed this. I prefer the originals, but unlike most remakes, this did not crap all over the original. It was more intense and gory, but less funny. Still, an 8/10 for me.

Kazenji
Read somewhere unlike most horror these days this remake doesn't really use CGI

Not sure which Original Evil Dead people watched, I certainly didn't get any comedy from it.

Newjak
I watched it and really enjoyed this movie.

Patient_Leech
I want to see this. I'm surprised by the decent reviews.

Patient_Leech
I still have yet to see this, but just wanted to point this out because Kaz has mentioned over and over that he has never sensed even the slightest vague humor to the original film...

Not sure which Original Evil Dead people watched, I certainly didn't get any comedy from it.

BackFire
Decent horror film. Best part was that for the gore (which is substantial) they didn't use much/any CGI, it was all practical effects which made it very cool in that respect.

Definitely more serious than the original, but this one still had some moments of dark humor. Worth a watch.

Mindset
Wasn't as good as the original, was decent for what we're given today though.

The HUGE threat didn't turn out to be that threatening though, did it? erm

I blame Backfire, personally.

Mindset
Read somewhere unlike most horror these days this remake doesn't really use CGI

Not sure which Original Evil Dead people watched, I certainly didn't get any comedy from it. Evil Dead definitely had funny moments, nowhere like The Evil Dead, which was much more of a horror comedy.

Kazenji
Evil Dead 2 had more comedy then The Evil Dead personally.

Mindset
That's what I meant.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by BackFire
Definitely more serious than the original, but this one still had some moments of dark humor. Worth a watch.

Cool. Good to hear there still a sense of humor.

Kazenji
That's what I meant.

Ah okay.

Darya
I don't like the horror movies.but the post are written very good i am impress.

jinXed by JaNx
by the numbers, horror movie, with some memorable scenes. The movie was a visual orgy. It's just to bad that there wasn't much sense or suspense to be found in the film. The actors did their job, but there was no Groovy moments, aside from the scene after the credits.

leareva
Thanks for share the with us.

Kazenji
What a load bullshit with the Australian release which comes out next week

its a getting a limited release and yet its done well in America........where's the logic there messed

the ninjak
What a load bullshit with the Australian release which comes out next week

its a getting a limited release and yet its done well in America........where's the logic there messed

Just had this convo with a friend.

The film is only being released in indy cinemas. Fools!

I swear, distributors are a clueless lot. I've dealt with them for over 10 years. Nothing but a bunch of freakin aristocrats.

Mindset
It was average at best anyway.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>