Other fantasy films.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Alfheim
Who else thinks this when they see another fantasy film advertised on TV thats not LOTR?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, get the **** out of here. Don't you know that LOTR is the best fantasy film ever made and no one is ever going to make a better fantasy film....EVER. Your just trying to get on the bandwagon look at you with your "What we do today will carry on into eternity" *cringe* thats just weak man thats just weak Get the **** of my TV set.

This is what I thought when I saw them adveristiing the Last legion on TV. sick

nimbus006
LOL... I do that all the time. I remember specifically doing it with Eregon (which was terrible by the way) and Chronicles of Narnia (although this was actually good, and im a big fan C.S Lewis so i wasnt to threatened by it).

The Sacred Fire
I'm as big a LOTR fan as the next guy but because LOTR exists it does not mean no other fantasy novels/movies cannot exist too. That's just naiive and opinionated, I mean cumon! Leonardo Da Vinci was considered to be the best of his era in what he did, but his peers were just as talented and they co-existed with him and bettered him, just as he did them.

nimbus006
Originally posted by The Sacred Fire
I'm as big a LOTR fan as the next guy but because LOTR exists it does not mean no other fantasy novels/movies cannot exist too. That's just naiive and opinionated, I mean cumon! Leonardo Da Vinci was considered to be the best of his era in what he did, but his peers were just as talented and they co-existed with him and bettered him, just as he did them.

I think maybe your misunderstanding. We're not saying that other fantasy movies shouldnt be made or cant be good, simply that LOTR will always be the best. I loved Chronicles of Narnia, but not as much as LOTR. big grin

Alfheim
Originally posted by The Sacred Fire

To be fair I dont think its impossible to make a better fantasy film than LOTR, but there going to have to try really hard. C'mon be honest when you see other fantsay films dont you just feel.....meh.

I have some respect for CS Lewis eventhough im not really interested in watching Chronicles of Narnia I remember reading it as a kid and I enjoyed it......but some of the other films like Eregon...damn...

Elessea
I think to some extent this is true, but honestly, I hate how people try and lump all "fantasy" movies together and compare them. I mean, I had a special love for Tolkien, both in movies and books, and maybe I won't ever love anything else as much (though I suppose my love for Harry Potter comes close) But there's no reason to compare everything to Lord of the Rings.

Yes, Tolkien paved the way for modern fantasy, and fantasy wouldn't exist to the extent it does today if he hadn't written the Lord of the Rings. Maybe to some extent other fantasy movies will share elements with LotR, or not be as good, but I mean, somethings you just can't compare.

For example, Pan's Labyrinth was classified as a "fantasy" movie, but really...it doesn't have all that much in common with LotR and probably shouldn't be lumped together and compared with it. I'm just saying, there are different types of fantasy movies, and many of them do very well what they are aiming to do, for the audience they are trying to please.

Alfheim
Originally posted by Elessea
I think to some extent this is true, but honestly, I hate how people try and lump all "fantasy" movies together and compare them. I mean, I had a special love for Tolkien, both in movies and books, and maybe I won't ever love anything else as much (though I suppose my love for Harry Potter comes close) But there's no reason to compare everything to Lord of the Rings.

Yes, Tolkien paved the way for modern fantasy, and fantasy wouldn't exist to the extent it does today if he hadn't written the Lord of the Rings. Maybe to some extent other fantasy movies will share elements with LotR, or not be as good, but I mean, somethings you just can't compare.

For example, Pan's Labyrinth was classified as a "fantasy" movie, but really...it doesn't have all that much in common with LotR and probably shouldn't be lumped together and compared with it. I'm just saying, there are different types of fantasy movies, and many of them do very well what they are aiming to do, for the audience they are trying to please.

Well I wouldnt compare Pans Lybrinth to LOTR. Havent seen it but it seems like a very different fantasy film.

The Sacred Fire
Agreed, LOTR is pretty special. The first and best of it's kind.

But yeah as Elessea said, there's diff types of fantasy films. And it should be said that the outlines of a 'fantasy film' aren't that distinct. I mean we all know that fantasy films usually have magic, supernatural themes, people, creatures, beings, worlds, etc. But it's the etc that makes it open to new ideas.

Some films have elements of fantasy in them but aren't described as a fantasy film.

Sometimes there's a mix of fantasy and other genres. Star Wars is a mix of fantasy of science fiction.

A lot of the Walt Disney animated films are described as 'fairy tale' rather than fantasy, when clearly there's many core details of a fantasy film in there. Just look at Beauty and the Beast, Bambi and Snow White. Although I have the feeling they're put in that genre on the behalf of children.

Also, those Marvel superhero films (The Fantastic Four, Spiderman, X-men, etc) include fantasy subject matter and themes but aren't always described as fantasy.

And of course there's, Historical Fantasy, which lends itself more to novels (I'm getting a bit side-tracked here, lost in all this fantasy). Authors like Guy Gavriel Kay, Judith Tarr, Sara Douglass and many more...

Next up is Romantic Fantasy, which, like the last, is more bent towards novels.

Pirates of the Caribbean is a good example of a film that has a combination of both historical and romantic fantasy.

Then there's Contemporary Fantasy which is just pretty much Harry Potter along with a quite a few novels. Not my cupa tea but whatever.

The problem (or interest, depending on your opinion) is that there's so many categories and subgenres of fantasy film these days. LOTR is obviously High Fantasy. And along with Lewis, Tolkien established this genre. Along with the Sword and Sorcery genre (think Conan, Elric and Dungeons & Dragons), the two pretty much define the class of fantasy film and these I like best.

The Sacred Fire
That is so strange, the last three posts (not including this one) were submitted on the 07 of the hour. Bizarre as eek

exanda kane
You have to remember that genre's are always in motion and that it is really hard to determine fantasy when you have modern productions like Pirates of the Caribbean and Marvel Super-hero films. You also have to take in to account the demographics each film is trying to attract to the cinema, for instance The Chronicles of Narnia was aimed for a younger target audience than Lord of the Rings, thus strict comparison cannot be had.

Nonetheless, Lord of the Rings stands the tallest compared to other "dungeons and dragons" fantasy flicks.

The Sacred Fire
Originally posted by exanda kane
You have to remember that genre's are always in motion and that it is really hard to determine fantasy when you have modern productions like Pirates of the Caribbean and Marvel Super-hero films. You also have to take in to account the demographics each film is trying to attract to the cinema, for instance The Chronicles of Narnia was aimed for a younger target audience than Lord of the Rings, thus strict comparison cannot be had.

Yes, I do take these into account. That's why I mentioned a range of fantasy films (or films with fantasy elements), from the fairy tale to the older historical fantasy (younger to the older audience).

And I never compared anything...

exanda kane
And you think I was addressing you?

The Sacred Fire
Well yea obviously. Only cause you quoted me.

Elessea
You know, quotes can be used for several reasons, not just quoting someone. They can be used for sarcasm, titles of things, etc. I think Exanda_Kane, in this instance was using them in order to title a genre of fantasy films...not to directly quote you or anything, because there's the nifty "Quote" Button for that purpose. But that's just my opinion on things.

The Sacred Fire
Ahh ok. Getcha yes

exanda kane
Elessea hit the nail on the head.

coolmovies
I agree when i saw narnia i said no way better then lotr

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.