Was Obi Wan the last of the Jedi of the Old Republic?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
I never knew but always wanted to know. I heard he wasn't but it was from an unofficial source..

Anyone?

Captain REX
Define that, please. Yoda was still alive after Kenobi's death.

FistOfThe North
meaning beside yoda. Should've wrote that my bad..

Se7in
No. The EU has many Jedi that survive beyond both Obi-Wan and Yoda, some of which merged into Luke's New Jedi Order.

Captain REX
Which annoys the shit out of me.

Morridini
I kinda like it, brings a much bigger sense of realism to the Universe. There would be no way for Vader & Co to hunt down all the Jedi. That they reappeared later though, might be another case.

Blax_Hydralisk
True. The OT is really, really unrealisrtic in that sense. It is impossible to wipe out all of anything, even on our little planet. Destroying all of something in a Galaxy, is completely, utterly, impossible, if they go into hiding.

S_D_J
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
I never knew but always wanted to know. I heard he wasn't but it was from an unofficial source..

Anyone?

Movies: with Yoda, they were both the last of the Jedi

EU: hell no!

you can see them, and read about them in different media:
In Comic books, Novels and Videogames (some Canon, other Non-Canon) released before and after the PT.

I too think it's unrealistic in the OT to have them as the only Jedi alive... I like to think it was that way in the movies because they had a connection to both Vader and Luke and were the only Jedi relevant to the story

Captain REX
Realism is not something Star Wars is known for; I prefer to think that Kenobi and Yoda were the last of their kind.

Darth Sexy
The way it was stated was that aside from Yoda and Obiwan, the rest of the jedi ceased to be jedi and in that sense, Obiwan and more importantly, Yoda, were the last of the jedi.

xxxpoppunker182
how did they cease to be jedi?

Se7in
Originally posted by xxxpoppunker182
how did they cease to be jedi?

Good question. I strictly remember Obi-Wan being disappointed in the Jedi that chose to band together and destroy Vader rather than hide in exile. Therefore, it's safe to assume that it's not because they didn't take action against the Empire. There were even Jedi within the Rebellion long before Luke.

Ushgarak
Rex is correct, Star Wars is not born of realism, but of dramatic and heroic necessity. It is made exceptionally clear that the Jedi are all gone and Luke is the only one in ROTJ.

The EU flatly contradicts this for purposes that are, frankly, lazy.

Atticus
what about hett??was he still a jedi by the ot?but then again there is vergre...
dam these are all eu

exanda kane
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Rex is correct, Star Wars is not born of realism, but of dramatic and heroic necessity. It is made exceptionally clear that the Jedi are all gone and Luke is the only one in ROTJ.

The EU flatly contradicts this for purposes that are shite

Schpot on. Minus my correction.

Allankles

I never got that impression. I got the impression that he was the last hope and that the Jedi were far from the power they once were. I don't believe the OT suggested that Luke is the only light sided force user in the galaxy.

The dramatic necessities as satisfied here by the fact that Luke is the only Jedi left alive that can hope to topple the Sith, not that he is literally the only Jedi left.

Blax_Hydralisk

or for purposes that are brilliant and make more sense?

Darth Hord
I think Luke was originally intended to be th last jedi in ROTJ. Right before yoda dies he says Luke, when gone am I, last of the Jedi will you be. and then the eu changes that of course.

Melcórë
I don't necessarily have a problem with the idea of Jedi having somehow survived the Purge....I think that the EU has mishandled it at times, though, making it seem like Palpatine and Vader weren't competent enough to see the destruction of a sizeable amount of them....

Blax_Hydralisk
Originally posted by Darth Hord
I think Luke was originally intended to be th last jedi in ROTJ. Right before yoda dies he says Luke, when gone am I, last of the Jedi will you be. and then the eu changes that of course.

It could mean symbolically, though. As far as what the Jedi actually stood for, represented, they were gone.

Count Makashi
It would have been better if Luke was the last of the Jedi, it would make his fight more important, if he dies, or turns to the Dark Side, its over for the Jedi, this way, they still have a chance.

Se7in
Originally posted by Count Makashi
It would have been better if Luke was the last of the Jedi, it would make his fight more important, if he dies, or turns to the Dark Side, its over for the Jedi, this way, they still have a chance.

Because there were other Jedi doesn't change Luke's impact. No one else could have possibly stood to both Vader and Palpatine. Luke was the only one that could come between them, due to his relation to Vader and Vader's love for him, which drove both Vader back to the Light and simultaneously resulted in Palpatine's death. Luke also had a greater potential than all other Jedi besides Anakin before losing his appendages. Even if the few other Jedi left from the Purge had stood together to fight Vader, and in the unlikely case, kill him, Palpatine still had an assortment of Force Adepts who could easily contend with the few Jedi left. Luke was the only Jedi who could have accomplished what he did.

exanda kane
But it still leaves general fans of Star Wars going "Huh? But Luke Skywalkers supposed to be the only Jedi left! That's ****** stupid," when they find out he was cheated out of that title.

Not my words.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Allankles
I never got that impression. I got the impression that he was the last hope and that the Jedi were far from the power they once were. I don't believe the OT suggested that Luke is the only light sided force user in the galaxy.

The dramatic necessities as satisfied here by the fact that Luke is the only Jedi left alive that can hope to topple the Sith, not that he is literally the only Jedi left.

If you never got that impression, you were not paying very close attention.

Yoda says it outright- Luke will be the last of the Jedi.

Not only is Yoda always been set up as someone who would know, this is also a piece of information being passed to the auidence to set up the drama of the situation.

Luke is the last Jedi. That is the symbolism GL wanted. Anything else muddles it.

As for what Blax_Hydralisk... err, no. It's not even vaguely brilliant. It messes up part of the essential drama of the films just because they wanted people with cool powers around, and because they were too lazy to think up more original plots.

It's horrible, inane stuff that should never, ever have been done.

Exanda is right. Luke is conceptually the last Jedi, that's his position in Star Wars folklore.

The EU has a lot to answer to in that respect- though fortunately, as it is in a separate continuity it can be ignored in that same respect.

Lord Melkor
It is linked with the fact that EU has Palpatine having a large number of force-sensitive minions besides Vader. It also doesn`t make sense, right Ush?

exanda kane
Guess you can put the force sensitive minions down to the same attitude the writers took with surviving Jedi.

Allankles
If you never got that impression, you were not paying very close attention.

Yoda says it outright- Luke will be the last of the Jedi.

Not only is Yoda always been set up as someone who would know, this is also a piece of information being passed to the auidence to set up the drama of the situation.

Luke is the last Jedi. That is the symbolism GL wanted. Anything else muddles it.

As for what Blax_Hydralisk... err, no. It's not even vaguely brilliant. It messes up part of the essential drama of the films just because they wanted people with cool powers around, and because they were too lazy to think up more original plots.

It's horrible, inane stuff that should never, ever have been done.

Exanda is right. Luke is conceptually the last Jedi, that's his position in Star Wars folklore.

The EU has a lot to answer to in that respect- though fortunately, as it is in a separate continuity it can be ignored in that same respect.

He's the part your not getting. Even if Luke is the last of the Jedi, he cannot possibly be the last light side user of the force in the galaxy, not if the galaxy is as large and wonderous as GL would like his audience to believe. When Yoda told Luke he was the last, it meant something different than merely being the last surviving member of the order.

The mere fact that Obi and Yoda (as powerful as they were) were still around and undetected suggested to me that others may have survived. Even though Yoda was the wisest and most knowledgable of Jedi, he's certainly not omniscient. For me the idea that Luke is the last hope for the Jedi (which he actually was) isn't lessened by the inclusion of other survivng Jedi in the EU. An order of thousands naturally should have several scattered remnants.

Allankles

exanda kane
Really, just don't kid yourself.laughing

Ushgarak
He's the part your not getting. Even if Luke is the last of the Jedi, he cannot possibly be the last light side user of the force in the galaxy, not if the galaxy is as large and wonderous as GL would like his audience to believe. When Yoda told Luke he was the last, it meant something different than merely being the last surviving member of the order.

The mere fact that Obi and Yoda (as powerful as they were) were still around and undetected suggested to me that others may have survived. Even though Yoda was the wisest and most knowledgable of Jedi, he's certainly not omniscient. For me the idea that Luke is the last hope for the Jedi (which he actually was) isn't lessened by the inclusion of other survivng Jedi in the EU. An order of thousands naturally should have several scattered remnants.

That's all pointless speculation.

Here's the important thing- the films only care about Jedi, the fans only care about Jedi and the darn thread starter was asking about Jedi. have a look at the title.

And no it does not need to have several scattered remains. Simple plot set-up- Jedi ALL DEAD. Like I say, dramatic and heroic imperative, and the resonance of Luke being the last Jedi, overrides what you think the logic of that is.

As for you saying Yoda is not omniescient... plwease just re-read my last post again. It was direct info given to the audience- the way films convey such facts. Luke is clearly identified on-screen as the last of the Jedi. That wasn't just some random opinion, it's an essential set-up for the plot of the film.

"When Yoda told Luke he was the last, it meant something different than merely being the last surviving member of the order. "

How can I put this other than- NO IT DIDN'T. It cannot possibly have any other meaning- you are simply being weirdly obscure. The meaning is 100% clear.

And indeed, Melkor; that doesn't fit either. But this issue is worse- in direct contradiction.

Lord Melkor
And indeed, Melkor; that doesn't fit either. But this issue is worse- in direct contradiction.

Everything you say is spot on Ush, though concerning the last bit- force-sensitive servants that know true tricks do not make the Sith. Therefore the EU argues that rule of two wasn`t broken, because those force-using minions like Emperor`s hands were not Sith, and didn`t have the knowledge or training of full Sith.

Know I don`t see why Emperor would like to have force-users in his Empire with no threat of Jedi.

Ushgarak
I meant there being other Jedi is direct contradiction, hence worse. The Force Adepts thing is just a little ill-fitting.

Lord Melkor
Yes, force users that are not Jedi or Sith make some sense if you want to expand the movies....but not in the service of Emperor.

Though I could see Sith gathering force-senstiive children to choose one apprentice from them and kill others....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.