Beckett Lovefest

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

katelovespirate
Come on, why don't have one of these? Who doesn't love short, evil men with funny voices? Who could resist so much brocade, especially when it adorns such an intriguing smirk that almost rivals Jack's? Let's all take a moment to raise our glass to Tom Hollander (who keeps popping up in every film i watch, from Elizabeth to A Good Year, and who looks smashing in a beard) and the evilest Lord this side of Vader.

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/gallery/2006/06/20/cutler3.jpg

threatening, yet smart in the stylish wig.

http://z.about.com/d/kidstvmovies/1/0/R/9/beckett.jpg

blissfully enjoying a light breeze. Green is so his color.

http://us.i1.yimg.com/img.movies.yahoo.com/ymv/us/img/flickr/66/09/000503676609.jpg

Gotta love a man who carries a big stick.

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/walt_disney/pirates_of_the_caribbean__dead_man_s_chest/tom_hollander/deadmanschest1.jpg

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Everyone looks better soaking wet.

willofthewisp
Considering Beckett and I are probably the same height, I too enjoy him. He's so deliciously evil. He should have grown a moustache to twirl. Plus, unlike Vader, I think he's gay and has a thing for Jack, so there is this whole sexual undertone in their scene together which is a lot of disturbing fun. The man's a genius and with his attack dog Mercer by his side, only our trio was able to stop him.

katelovespirate
I so agree. I love his scenes with Jack. Actually I love his scenes, period. Except the hanging scene at the beginning of awe. shiver.

favorite line of his "Yes I thought you might..."

and his scene with Lizzie in DMC... you can tell he relishes every minute of it.

http://www.stripedwall.com/gallery.php?image=/movies/Pirates2/potc2_2992.jpg&mode=fullsize

http://www.stripedwall.com/gallery.php?image=/movies/Pirates2/potc2_2998.jpg&mode=fullsize

JCapt Jaeh_K.S
Beckett scares me, but not because of his villanous plots or anything like that. he just.. plain creeps me out.

after all those talk about the Jack-Beckett theories(maybe they're jokes.. I dunno...)

still creeps me out. *shivers*

willofthewisp
Shouldn't a good villain be scary? I mean, how many of us were terrified of the wicked witch of the west in Oz when we were kids? The best villains are able to terrify the audience and love doing it. Hannibal Lector and Darth Vader have it. I think to a point, Barbossa had it in the first movie. He was deliciously creepy. Beckett is just joining the ranks of classic movie villains that truly love being evil.

katelovespirate
hehe, i always thought Barbossa was WAYYYYY more creepy than Beckett. Beckett was just evil and conniving; Barbossa actually was scary. Beckett was like, a well matched adversary for our heroes... Barbossa was like, someone I'd be afraid of running into in an alley. haha.

willofthewisp
Hmm, can people be creepy but in different ways? It seems like they are equally creepy, but different. I can't explain it very well.

Barbossa: He's like the stuff out of kids' nightmares, our primal fears. We're afraid of him like we're afraid of the dark. Seeing his silhouette first was a great effect.

Beckett: I think adults fear Beckett more than kids would. He's our mature fears: war, domination. He's much more underhanded than Barbossa and he physically does very little in the series. He calculates and sends his minions to do things for him.

So both are very creepy. I really don't know where Davy fits into this scale, but yeah.

katelovespirate
Davy wasn't very creepy to me--- his weakness was too obvious. bootstrap was scarier, especially in film 3....

willofthewisp
YES! Bootstrap freaked me out in 3. It was like that old movie "Freaks." "One of us, one of us." (shivers)

No, Davy just looked cool to me. I wasn't scared of him. He seemed like a Phantom of the Opera-type to me rather than a literal villain.

IheartPocky
oo i love Beckett. We have had moments in other threads where we've had a mini lovefest. But he does deserve his own thread, of course!

JCapt Jaeh_K.S
lol.. I wonder why Will's thread always go to sleep. stick out tongue

Beckett is creepy, but kids don't understand his creepiness. I think davy creeps them out more. barby(barbie doesn't look/read right as short for 'Barbossa') kinda 'went soft' in 2 and 3... IMO. not soft soft.. it's just.. he seemed more friendly in 2 and 3...

zac_depp_is_luv
alright Kate, i gotta say. When i read the beginning post, i couldn't stop laughing. the whole "Gotta love a man who carries a big stick" think sent me over the edge though! I'm still laughing. of course, how can you resist Beckett? that evilness that makes you just wanna see what is (or what is not :-)) under his britches :-). Beckett rocks!

willofthewisp
Just going on an assumption here, but my guess is that Beckett has a small stick.

katelovespirate
i concur. wink Like Shreck said, "do you think he's compensating for something?"

IheartPocky
haha i remember that part in shrek.

Sifzensinril
I don't. I have seen it just once and with dubbing. I hate dubbing

JCapt Jaeh_K.S
Originally posted by willofthewisp
Just going on an assumption here, but my guess is that Beckett has a small stick.

.. I agree. maybe that's why he's doing.. what he's doing... it must be.. connected.

Ditte3
My favorite character is Jack of course,but I honestly love all the characters in the movie,Beckett too.I saw a film two days ago with Tom Hollander and I have to tell you:he's hot!

katelovespirate
He actually is---- anybody see 'A good year'? He's hilarious in that. And he showcases a surprisingly good looking beard in 'elizabeth'...

lovethemtigers
I love his voice.....I do love that part when he says "yes, I thought you might"...and then when he says "ah, a marriage interupted or fate intervenes, you make great efforts to ensure Jack Sparrow's freedom"....his voice is so hypnotic....not as hypnotic as Johnny's but it's good.....I think next to jack and elizabeth though...my favorite characters have always been Mr. Gibbs and James Norrington....

katelovespirate
yeah, my favorite characters go something like this...

1. jack/elizabeth (neither one on it's own, just together is nice)
2. Barbossa, Gibbs. (My two favorites, in reality. Not together, though, haha)
3. Beckett, Norrington (Another tie. I don't like Norri till film 2, Beckett I adore)
4. The pirate in film 1 with all the weird piercings who is always shouting things like "Find her!"
5. Mertogg and Mulroy (sp?) Why weren't they in film 2?
6. Anna Maria (She should be farther up the list. SHe was awesome)
7. Governor Swann (JUST for the little punch he gives during the "huzzah" scene of film 1)
8. That dude in film 1 whow works for Norrington "Sir! They've taken the dauntless!" "A Little mermaid flopped up on deck..."
9. The old guy trying to get a job on the pearl in film 2 ("Ever since I was a little lad..."
10. The pirate at the pirate council with the voice like the knights who say ni.
11. The captain who got screwed by Liz's dress phantom and then got killed by the kraken in film 2. ("If you both fancy the dress..."wink
12. Scarlet and Giselle. (mad eye-liner skills. maybe i'm just jealous they get to hang out with jack)
13. Sao Feng (coming later on the list. Creepy nails.)
14. Pintel and Ragetti (annoying as hell. got WAY too much screentime)
15. Will and Elizabeth's kid. LAST on the list, FIRST on the list of characters I don't like. haha. wink

willofthewisp
Wow, how can you even compile a list and then RANK them? I applaud your careful analysis. I like that you include the little touches. I really don't have that ability, lol.

katelovespirate
oh, the list would probably be different if compiled on another day. i'm extremely arbitrary. haha.

lovethemtigers
Ha....I love your list Kate....

1. Captain Jack Sparrow - because he's Captain Jack Sparrow, Savvy...
2. Elizabeth Swann - with Jack (she is best with Jack around)
3. Mr. Gibbs - I love him for all his wise tales he tells Will and others about Jack...I love how he describes the Kracken, and the story he tells about Jack being marooned on the island, and I love when they throw the water on him in the pig stye in Tortuga! I love when he says "Mother's Love"....
4. James Norrington...I loved him in POTC...I loved how in the end he stepped aside with dignity when he realized that Elizabeth loved someone else (a lesson that Young Mr. Turner should have taken note of) and I especially loved the James Norrington in DMC....I loved his dirty old wig..and when he says "you don't actually believe him"...but when he ran off witht he heart and gave it to Beckett...I lost all faith in him...so in AWE I didn't really care for him...i wanted him to be redeemed because I loved the old James Norrington...but alas his redemption was short lived as he faced death at the hands of a crazed Bootstrap Bill....
5. Murtogg and Mullroy...I love these guys...and yes, why weren't they in DMC...
6. Barbossa....
7. Beckett.....
8. the Norrington/Beckett sidekick who admires Jack "that's got to be the best Pirate I've ever seen"....."do you think he plans it all out or makes it up as he goes along"......

Least Favorite.....
1. William Turner
2. Davy Jones
3. Tia Dalma

willofthewisp
Okay, I'm going to try this.

Least favorite:
1. TIA DALMA! (DMC and AWE)
2. the singing kid (AWE)
3. little Elizabeth (COTBP, sometimes I hate her more than Tia)

Okay, favorites....and in NO PARTICULAR ORDER because that would be too hard.

1. Jack. He's Captain Jack Sparrow, savvy? cheers
2. Elizabeth, with Jack or on her own, she kicks ass and I absolutely adore her and want to be best friends with her and wish I looked like her
3. Gibbs! Gibbs needs his own storyline. Anyone who can be Jack's best friend is so cool on his own.
4. Barbossa!
5. Norrington. When I'm my most practical, I think he was the smartest choice for Liz. But he's brave and noble and yet not afraid to get dirty. He's sexy and smart and can fight. I was glad he got to be a pirate for a while. In fact, his last act was kind of pirate-y, wasn't it?
6. Will. I know, don't hate me, but I like the kid like I like my little brother. He's come a long way from the kid who was too freaked out to call Elizabeth her first name...now he's having sex and knee-nuzzling. He managed to out-pirate everybody in AWE and his short temper and constant insistence on being noble all the time make him human, so I will include him in my favorites. It wouldn't be POTC without him and even though I don't think he and Liz are well matched, it is nice for her to be that loved.
7. Beckett. Beckett is short and yet evil and so I love him. Every line is so deliciously evil. I'd play him if a school did "POTC: the Play."
8. Anamaria: besides being a little unimaginative...
exp: Will: I have an idea!
Anamaria: That will never work.
Will: It will work if we think outside the box.
...but she dressed up like a guy to track down Jack who stole her own ship and did her very best against a bunch of undead pirates. One can only imagine what she's doing now.
9. Teague. I like Teague.
10. Groves, I think is the name of Norrington's sidekick. He's cool. I think he has a crush on...everybody.
11. the little guy on the ship Liz hijacks who makes up this whole story around a dress. That guy had imagination. "A virgin widowed before her marriage."
12. I know this sounds weird, but the guy who enters the scene right after Sao Feng dies. He wants to know what's going on and looks really sad that Sao has died. And when Liz says "he made me captain" the guy looks absolutely devastated, like maybe he was supposed to be captain. This guy has a story and I want to know what it is.

katelovespirate
AWE YAY! smile these lists are soooo great....

I totally forgot about my undying hatred for little elizabeth, little will, and the singing kid. blech.

I also totally forgot about Tia and Jones... probably because they wouldn't have made my list at all. hahaha.

i LOVE the guy who makes up the story "a virgin, widowed before her marriage".... i love him!

willofthewisp
And I have a soft spot for Captain Bellamy since he has no screaming fan-girls. Remember that line in our parody? He's just a nice guy trying to make an honest wage and a kraken takes him out. All because Liz didn't want to stay in a jail cell and get catcalls from all the guys.

katelovespirate
Seriously. Poor Belamy and crew. Very sad. They got too close to Liz and her touch-o-death.

What would have happened if Elizabeth would have stayed in the jail? Will would have been traded and subsequently escaped, Jack probably would have been caught and killed by Jones, I'm assuming Will would have found his way back to Port Royal and sprung Lizzie at some point, maybe even rescuing Daddy Swann in the process. So, no third movie. Sorry, Belamy, it was for the greater good...

JCapt Jaeh_K.S
Originally posted by Ditte3
My favorite character is Jack of course,but I honestly love all the characters in the movie,Beckett too.I saw a film two days ago with Tom Hollander and I have to tell you:he's hot!

... I'm going to have to watch that or risk saying too early that you've gone kinda nuts.. eek!

Ditte3
laughing No really,without his wig he looked good.I don't remember the title.It was a movie about CIA.

katelovespirate
i support that. Tom Hollander, minus wig and extra fat and pale-ness, is quite good looking.

http://z.about.com/d/movies/1/0/M/x/M/pirates06240661.jpg

he's come a long way from his Mr. Collins days...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/faces/images/tom_hollander_large.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/hh/0390903/iid_958615.jpg.html?path=pgallery&path_key=Hollander%2C%20Tom&seq=2

T.Maria
awwwwwwwww tom hollander....

its weird how im english but i actually LOVE his accent big grin
usually i have a major problem with british actors/actresses using there 'upper class' accents, whether it be in real life or in the film industry...

I think its just because i get the feeling that other countries think of us british as snobby hypocrites who sit in our castles drinking tea and eating scones whilst our butlers wipe our spaniels asses wink

But then, thats just my opinion...i dont actually know what the rest of the world thinks lol smile

Its just uncanny that its an american who can pull off the best british accent ive actually heard big grin

And yeah, i mean johnny lol smile

katelovespirate
i love the brits. one of my first loves was a brit, and let me tell you, his accent was to die for. a little posh, but what do you expect from someone who comes from harpenden? i'll probably be moving back the second i finish uni.

i think that's one of the best things about this film series--- their attention to detail in the range of accents. Each pirate has a realistic mix of dialect from various places they would have come from. loved it.

T.Maria
yeah you have a brilliant point, kate smile

You can tell alot from a characters accent straight away big grin Thats what i loved about the way johnny portreyed jack smile The way you became emmersed in his character straight away because you wanted to know more about him smile

i had an argument about johnny with my mum a few days ago...
SHE said she doesnt like him much because his characters are all the same....i was flabberghasted lol.

I was like;

"HOW can you go from donnie brasco, to captain jack and STILL think hes playing the same character?!"

....I think i should have stuck her into a mental home a looooooong time ago wink

willofthewisp
I have to agree with you there. Johnny's made sure he has a variety of characters on his resume. Edward Scissorhands is dramatically different from Jack Sparrow. Dean Corso is dramatically different from Sam. Ichabod Crane is dramatically different from Don Juan. Now, he's never played an actual "villain" that I know of or anything like that, but compared to most actors he has a wide range.

T.Maria
exactly willo smile

And tom hollander also has quite a wide range, too smile
His face is cometic, in my opinion...he actually looks like he could pull off the comedy quite well big grin

JCapt Jaeh_K.S
Tom still doesn't appeal to me... it's just.. I saw this picture of him somewhere i don't remember what thread it was in, and it.. freaked me out. I don't think I would ever change my mind about him ever because of that.. *shivers* He has an adorable laugh though.. heard him in the AWE bloopers.. *nods*

but yay CIA movies! I wanna watch it!

willofthewisp
He'll always be Mr. Collins to me.

IheartPocky
was it the gaaay picture? haha i like him as beckett. he seems a little awkward otherwise.

JCapt Jaeh_K.S
did you post it iheart?! if it was you, it never got off my mind.. *shivers*

and i agree. smile

IheartPocky
lol no i didnt and never would! It was Surreal_44. Pretty sure. She had a thing for him.

JCapt Jaeh_K.S
Surreal?!?!?!

*gasp*

That picture scarred me for life. *shivers and suck thumb* I could still see it in my head... *curls up into a ball*

willofthewisp
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3GWmcWWOVDc

Kind of a tribute to Beckett...

zac_depp_is_luv
YAYA BECKETT!!

Ericadawn
You mean the one where he kissed Elrond?
http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i61/Ericadawn16/?action=view&current=heart3.jpg

Or this one?

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i61/Ericadawn16/TomH2.jpg

But he definitely doesn't have a short "stick"
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i61/Ericadawn16/TH8.jpg

Surreal_44
Yikes. I've been gone for a long time. No, it wasn't me to post up the 'gay picture'. wink Erica has a much bigger thing for Tom than I ever will. I'm a Jack Davenport gal all the way.

Right now though, I have a new pretty man in my life. *ggg* Eddie Cahill, from CSI NY, although if any of you watched Friends, he played Rachel's boyfriend Tag. Or if you've seen "Miracle", he played Jim Craig. *huggles pretty man* Mine! But I'll share if necessary. wink

IheartPocky
oh yeah i was thinking you two were the same or something... big grin

texgodiva2s
Miz Ericadawn, that black and white picture is Beckett/Hollander? eek! eek! eek! blink

Really? Cos in that photo he almost appeals to the incredible capacity for the human brain to accept gender ambiguity as a good thang. I just came here to comment on the photo that Miz Kateloves put up--boy's lips are almost a full top and bottom as Mr. Depp's and that's saying something--lots of possibility there donchaknow?

Really? Tom Hollander....oh my boys and girls, will it be necessary to make room in my big old heart for one more short-do near pirate?

and DADBLAME--I really should start checking out the little http blue lines before submission--and That's Tom Hollander????!!!!!!
Oh, my quite the shot I will say!! Anything more in commenting will definitely be relocated to Mina's dirty thoughts, at least for me.

katelovespirate
Originally posted by texgodiva2s

Really? Tom Hollander....oh my boys and girls, will it be necessary to make room in my big old heart for one more short-do near pirate?

Yes my dear I think you will. He's fabulous. smile

texgodiva2s
Miz Kateloves (lol totally), you're such a sweetheart for the unspoken, melodic 'Itoldyouso'--lmao. I stand corrected, take the man's unattractive tight arse PotC costumes away and lord knows, he would probably be welcome to eat crackers in bed at my house--though certainly not until we had several interesting conversations (piratistas aren't easy, but they can be had). Learn something new everyday if you try, doncha?

willofthewisp
Hee hee, I'll be the voice of disagreement here. Tom Hollander is cute, oh yeah, no arguement. But going by that picture ericadawn posted, he looks like the lovechild of David Bowie and Dr. Frankenfurter from Rocky Horror. (chills) His imdb.com picture is much better.

katelovespirate
OH NO! I guess it was inevitable Rocky Horror got brought up on the Beckett thread. hahaha run away!!! lol.

He is quite a character, though.

Fav. Beckett qualities:

1. his fan skills. watch the way he twirls his fan in that scene he had with Jack. Like he does it frequently.

2. how his facial expressions can be totally bland but his voice makes the line just brilliant-- "Yes, I thought you might"... one of the best lines of film 2, IMO.

3. all his cronies. i kept expecting them to break out in "always look on the bright side of life..." and do a kickline.

4. how he's totally unimpressed by everyone except Jack and Elizabeth.

5. how he's a terrible swordsman, but it doesn't even matter. smile

Ditte3
eek! He's hot.

willofthewisp
Yes! First rate qualities in a villain-- must be unimpressed by people and yet have few skills of their own! That's what minions are for.

christnabarrett
I think he's just 'some dude who is younger than jack sparrow,' tho. 'To tha depthsth!' (Ntm 4+ yrs.)

christnabarrett
Yes! First rate qualities in a villain-- must be unimpressed by people and yet have few skills of their own! That's what minions are for.

I know enough to know he's not much of a villain.

willofthewisp
Explain.

christnabarrett
Explain.

Like the last one, I'll think @ it so I don't say something stupid. I'm really busy....

I don't like shows @ me never being a kid but also always feeling pain.

I mean, there isn't much to explain.

willofthewisp
I'm afraid I don't understand again. What do you mean when you put @? I just wanted to know why you don't think Beckett is much of a bad guy.

christnabarrett
I'm afraid I don't understand again. What do you mean when you put @? I just wanted to know why you don't think Beckett is much of a bad guy.

Everyone used to know where I lived, that @ = 'about' or 'at' or the letter "a."

Beckett's personality doesn't come on as bad, and I didn't catch any of the action. I thought he was just like the idea of what most ppl in the world are.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.