Ben's lightsaber

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

theEviljedi
In ANH Ben's saber looked blue to me at times and green at other times.What color was it?

Xizor
We went over this. Everyone said it's supposed to be blue.

theEviljedi
When did we?Is that a FACT from Lucas?

theEviljedi
Continuing the subject...
Now when I wacthed ANH Ben's saber looked blue at times and Luke's look green a lot.I am stumped.Also I have a Ben Kenobi toy and the box shows him with a blue lightsaber when the toy's is green.So what is it?If it is blue then what do you think he uses in the remainder of the prequels?And why would Lucas have two blue sabers in ANH and no green?

Darth Daft
All these topics about lightsaber color is bugging me. Can't you just get it into your heads that they special effects in those days just weren't quite up to scratch? It's obviously just plain mistakes that the crew have made with the lighting and colouring. Nothing more.

theEviljedi
Then why didn't they fix them in the SE?

Darth Daft
Good point. I have actually noticed that myself. In ANH when Obi-Wan holds his lightsabre down it sort of disappears and all you can see is a little spark at the end of a stick. It seems strange that they didn't add on a thicker beam. Perhaps they will in the DVD.

theEviljedi
If it's ever made.Also why didn't they fix the Rancor in ROTJ?

Darth Daft
Sorry for not noticing, but what was actually wrong with it? I know it had the usual black lines around it, but it wasn't anything too bad was it?

theEviljedi
Those mat lines made it look VERY fake.

Darth Daft
Yeah but everything looks fake a lot of the time. Even in TPM it's hard to imagine that Watto's face is real and that it wasn't made by computer. Movie makers still aren't perfect, even after a century of making films.

theEviljedi
Watto looked pretty real to me.

Darth Daft
Yeah but he still doesn't look like he's actually there as an actually "thing." It's still obvious that its animation rather than something real.

theEviljedi
Not to me.

Darth Daft
Fine, but I still think the special effects in these films need a little more oomph. Watch the gungan battle on Naboo. It just doesn't look real at all. It looks like a disney cartoon.

theEviljedi
No way dude.sad

Gundark
The gungans were a TEENY WEENY improvement over the ewoks in the kiddie department and thats all i have to say about that.

theEviljedi
Sorry.See below.

theEviljedi
They would have been great if they never opened there kiddie mouths.

Darth Daft
It would have been bette with absolutely ANY other alien, be it Wookies, Dugs, Toydarians, Sullustans, Twi'leks or anything. BUT WHY EWOKS?

darth stu
i read that in ANH the blade was actually a glass rod that glowed like a neon light. that was why it looked goofy from the front DD. the problem was that the blades kept shattering when they fought the duel. i dunno how credible this is though. i can't remember where i read it.

Gundark
(This message was left blank)

Darth Daft
Thanx Darth Stu. I think the same goes for TPM, as they had over a hundred lightsabre props made for use in the film.

Xizor
This might not be a necissary response but Lucas said long ago that both Luke and OB1 were to have blue sabers. They fixed the confusion on Luke(when it went from looking green to white) by making the saber blue in ESB. They never got around to fixing Bens saber, even in the SE, which still puzzles me.

archive monitor
whos played kotor 2? there is a silver light saber crystal that makes the saber a greeny blue. maybe its one of these

Darth_Janus
A few things...

First off, it's supposed to be blue, but it ends up looking white most of the time. Most people just conclude that Ben used a silver lightsaber. After all, it was a different saber than the blue one he uses in the prequels.

Secondly, as I've addressed elsewhere, this month's issue of Star Wars Insider has a bit on the duel with Vader and Ben, and it describes how the lightsabers were constructed, and why we see what we see when the special effects don't work they way they should.

In particular, each lightsaber is a wooden prop with two reflective, silvery sides. These sides are spun around the blade end with a device that is actually in Obi's sleeve. In a few scenes, you can see the wire going into his sleeve if you pause the frame. Alright, so this device spins, and that combined with the stage lights creates the illusion of a light blade. Rather clever, but fragile. They broke easily in combat, and thus the duel was toned down. Both David Prowse and Alec Guinness had to learn to swing but not connect the blades.... Rough work.

So that being said, the blade is silver, really. Any blue or green tint is either a goof by the touch-up department, or lights from something in studio.

Darth_Janus
And the blade color you're thinking of is viridian. There's silver, blue, orange, bronze (Ach... ugly), red, green, cyan, purple. Of all of these colors, I think we could do without bronze, viridian, and cyan. Bronze is a duller form of orange, which is already pushing it. Viridian is not bright enough to be a lightsaber and looks silly in any case. And cyan is just silly.

Oh, and yellow. I forgot that color. Must be because I hate it. Huh.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.