Captain Mar-Vell Mini

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Priest

Capt Spaulding
it looks like crappy fan art.

Bransolute
I was wondering when it would be out.

Switch 07
Originally posted by Bransolute
I was wondering when it would be out.

Priest
yeah same here..
I'm having mixed feeling on how the mini is gonna turn out erm

Bransolute
I hope he owns a bunch of people.
Tony, Sentry, etc. Not because I don't like them, but because it will show he can still pwn modern powerful characters.

Priest
Tony, Sentry, etc. Not because I don't like them, but because it will show he can still pwn modern powerful characters.
Nah, he's on tony and bob's side if I'm not mistaken.
I do see him having more ties with the antireg side tho..

Bransolute
Originally posted by Priest
Nah, he's on tony and bob's side if I'm not mistaken.
I do see him having more ties with the antireg side tho.. I know what side he's on...

Priest
I know what side he's on...
what side? confused

Bransolute
Originally posted by Priest
what side? confused Tony and Sentry's.

I still want him to smash them.

Faceman

I'd be nice to see Adam Warlock make an appearance. I see a lot of possibilities with this, for sure I see Thanos getting involved.

DARKLORDCAEDUS

grey fox
Originally posted by DARKLORDCAEDUS
I hope it does well so it can become an ongoing series.

No.

Mar-vell NEEDS to stay dead.

Switch 07
Nah.

llagrok
This, is big.

Switch 07
Damn right.

I hope he pwns some n00bs!!

Citizen V
I'm looking forward to this.

Ed Mcguiness on covers = thumb up
Lee Week's artowrk = thumb up.
Brian Reed = thumb up.

All in all, even though I'm not too happy out him being brought back, atleast this mini should be done well (with the creative team it has, it probably will).

Switch 07
I don't like the cover, but the art inside looks decent.

I would love for him to come back. I missed out on him the first time.

Priest
I agree, i think the cover could have been done better,
The art inside looks good imo...
I'm excited that Mar-Vell is back, i just hope Marvel does it right.

ScarletSpider
At least Paul Jenkins isn't writing it.

King Kandy
I liked Mar-Vell's death because it was one of the few permanent deaths... This kinda breaks that one down.

Bransolute
Originally posted by King Kandy
I liked Mar-Vell's death because it was one of the few permanent deaths... This kinda breaks that one down. He'll be back to being dead.
They just wanted to bring him back for a bit.

HueyFreeman
Originally posted by King Kandy
I liked Mar-Vell's death because it was one of the few permanent deaths... This kinda breaks that one down. He'a not really back from the dead though. Its more like him going into the future to probably going back to the past to die.

Switch 07
From the preview pages.

With all due respect (don't take me wrong or anything I respect your opinion an' all), but why not?

I mean they've been trying to replace this guy be it directly or indirectly for 25 years man, if they're gonna do it, then why not just do it?

I mean we've seen the Quasars in pseudo-Mar-Vell suits, the Genis-Vells, the Phyla-Vells, the Monica Rambeaus, you name it...that isn't opinion, those are facts. Captain Marvel just does NOT work over the long haul without Mar-Vell.

There are two Captain Marvels in the comic industry we all know that, but the Marvel one was and still is so different and original (even paid homage to Shazam at different points), if they're going to have a Marvel Captain Marvel, then the bottom line is that the only one anyone is going to respect on a large level is Mar-Vell. Period.

I'm not trying to put down those characters I mentioned earlier, they should just have their own place. Captain Marvel in the Marvel Universe is Captain Mar-Vell. End of story.

The world is at a time of war, or rumor of war, whatever, art imitates life, Mar-Vell represents what someone from outside sees that as. The things that made the character interesting to readers and kids and people in the first are more relevant now than they were even then.

Who doesn't feel like an outcast?

Who doesn't want to save the world?

You know what I mean?

Those things don't go out of style.

It's a comic book. How bout some hope for a change? If I want to be depressed I can just watch the 6 o'clock news, I don't need it in my comics, you know?

25 years is respect enough for the death story. I mean it was great for it's time, no doubt about it. God bless Mr. Starlin's father.

But 25 years? Isn't that long enough or do we have to put out a Captain Marvel comic every so many years just to remind people of how GREAT he is an all of that? Sheesh, there's many many readers out there who haven't even been alive that long.

It's time. It's just time.

Let's just do it. I mean they've tried everything else, for crying out loud.

A friend said something to me, I won't take credit for it, but it was something like "Cosmic Marvel needs their Optimus Prime back, nothing against the Novas and the Genis's and whomever/aka the Rodimuses"

I dunno, I ask him if I can paste it, it really made sense, I may not have done it justice.

But either way, this character is just too cool to keep gone. The writers and artists we have now are just mind blowing. The things they could do with Mar-Vell are limitless.

The bottom line is that in my humble opinion, if this thing sells he should stay.

And if Marvel wants to have a successful Captain Marvel title, then it's Mar-Vell. That's it.

No more dressing other guys up in red and blue suits and calling them protectors and stuff like that, why not just have the original?

Besides, the idea of a return, and when I say that, I mean THIS particular return is kinda for lack of better word, inspiring.

Comics haven't done that in a long while, at least for me and the CM fans that I know.

I mean I hear what you're saying bro, but the decision has been made, why go half way on it? Why not just see it through?

The character is strong enough and has the depth to sell comics in the present day. They just need to reintroduce him right.

Telling people he's gonna die anyway isn't exactly the best way IMO, I'm thinking Reed may have something up his sleeve for this. I've seen the previews and they look absolutely amazing to be honest, and I'm not saying that because I'm a fan. If you get a chance check them out.

Look, that's just how I see things, you are certainly entitled to your way of course, and I mean that sincerely.

Let's just wait and read it fairly and make our own decisions, but they are a lot of people who feel his return should be a permanent one. Not a houdini act.

Thanks for listening my friend, hope I wasn't too ranty, but listen to what I'm saying, I honestly think there's some really valid points in there.

Completely agreed.

Faceman
I completely agree with Switch 07.

Switch 07
Originally posted by Faceman
I completely agree with Switch 07. thumb up

I think the guy had it right. smokin'

Morridini
Seem slike I will have to check up who this guy really is, for me he was just a random Joe who showed up during CW...

Validus
Originally posted by Morridini
Seem slike I will have to check up who this guy really is, for me he was just a random Joe who showed up during CW...
http://pics.apartment808.com/users/PunkBiker/sad_panda.jpg

Faceman
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/Face-Man/402608939_f7983a8856.jpg

tjcoady
The mini's premise is that this is Mar-Vell from before he died of cancer, displaced in time- it's going to end with him returning to a moment before his death; Newsarama has some interviews about it.

It's supposedly going to play up the Messianic angle that Marvel seems to like when they're writing about Captain Mar-vell post death (resurrected by Thanos/Earth X Saga).

shouldn't be too bad.

Bransolute
Originally posted by Morridini
Seem slike I will have to check up who this guy really is, for me he was just a random Joe who showed up during CW... Should have read my respect thread before everything got deleted... tsk, tsk.

I'll probably have everything re-done by the time this book comes out though...

TricksterPriest
"Cosmic Marvel needs their Optimus Prime back, nothing against the Novas and the Genis's and whomever/aka the Rodimuses"

Whoever said that nailed Mar-Vell's character. He is basically the Optimus Prime of the marvel cosmics. Now, the problem with that is, Optimus was brought back. And they actually made it work. In this case, given the incredible level of story-telling in 'Death of Captain Marvel', it would be wrong to permanently rez him.

I think this will be interesting. but I really hope it ends with everything as it should be. Mar-vell's death was one of the best in comics. They should honor the character by having him stay dead at the end of this series.

Switch, you're right that Genis, Phyla, etc can't hold the title as well as he can. But nobody expects them to. It's like saying that any of the superman imposters in 'Reign of the Supermen' should have replaced Kal-El.

My pal Capt. Spaulding would argue that they should just bring Genis back and let him try to redeem the legacy. And yes, I'm aware of the pun I just made. stick out tongue

tjcoady
Personally, I think Monica Rambeua should get an ongoing again. Preferably two or three ongoings, and maybe a "Brave and the Bold" or "Marvel Two in One" style book, where she teams up each month with a different hero, and perhaps two out of continuinity minis, and a string of "What Ifs?" starring her.

I cannot get enough of Monica Rambeau Captain Marvel.

Switch 07
Have him stay dead fine. But make this new Mar-vell be from another Universe who accidentally travels the their universe etc but basically make it the same guy but who manages to survive the cancer. We get Mar-vell back and we keep the death.

Or something like that.

tjcoady
Originally posted by Switch 07
Have him stay dead fine. But make this new Mar-vell be from another Universe who accidentally travels the their universe etc but basically make it the same guy but who manages to survive the cancer. We get Mar-vell back and we keep the death.

Or something like that.

having a different version of the same character, who is the same in most ways is not really keeping the death.

Switch 07
Originally posted by tjcoady
having a different version of the same character, who is the same in most ways is not really keeping the death. Then bring him back alive.

I don't care. I missed out the first time I want some Mar-vell.

Switch 07
As I hoped it starts off during Civil War it looks like.

Galan007
I didn't care for the first issue too much, as a whole -- but the last few pages were pretty cool:

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/2065/cm1zl3.th.jpg http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/8261/cm2qj1.th.jpg http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/2797/cm3rf5.th.jpg

SuperiorTech
Originally posted by Galan007
I didn't care for the first issue too much, as a whole -- but the last few pages were pretty cool:

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/2065/cm1zl3.th.jpg http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/8261/cm2qj1.th.jpg http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/2797/cm3rf5.th.jpg

Yeah like how he destroyed the robot but is there a reason sentry didnt do that in the first place.

HueyFreeman
The church of CM reminds me of the "Kingdom."

Capt Spaulding
i'm not buying at all. Damn you joe Quesada, Damn you.

endrict
So Captain Marvel could be a Skrull in disguise? and the plot is about the Secret Invasion.

Disappear
brian reed said in an interview that mar-vell's story is much more complicated than just a secret invasion tie-in. for example, if mar-vell were to die in the present, while time-displaced, he couldn't get back through time to die in the past, thus causing paradoxes in the history of the marvel universe.

in issue two, mar-vell's clearly asking about the presence of skrulls, though it's not clear whether he's on earth, or these visions are from the past, or from another location such as kree space.

Disappear
apparently issue 3 sold out. luckily, the boys at my local comic shop stuck it in my folder, considering i said "hey, gimme all that secret invasion stuff." anybody read it? anybody else rather impressed with how the story's going?

Endrict Nuul
I like the story a lot but I was hoping he was really back and not a Skrull.

nimbus006
I have 1 & 2, still waiting for reprints of 3.

Bentley
There was an spoiler about what happens to Captain Marvel in Young Avengers Hulkling Mini, do not click in the link if you don't want to be spoiled.

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2002432301210706114

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2002428176644698892

Endrict Nuul
So Captain Mar-Vell is a clone now? on a Skrull's old body?

Cerpin Taxt
Originally posted by Endrict Nuul
So Captain Mar-Vell is a clone now? on a Skrull's old body?
Yes.

I wonder if the Thunderbolts team he attacked in SI #1 were all Skrulls.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.