Gamespot...Bias?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
While you were sleeping last night Gamespot finally reviewed Rachet and Clank for the PS3. This was thought to be the killer app many PS3 owners were expecting. The game got some pretty good reviews from other gaming sites.

But Gamespot gave an average score....7.5. The entire Sony Nation are up in arms agaisn't gamespot. According to some fans....Gamespot hates the PS3.

Whachoo fellas think?

(I personally find it funny all the screaming fanboys e-mailing the gamespot site.)

stick out tongue

Blax_Hydralisk
dun! dun! DUUNNN!!

But seriliously, giving a "Killer AMpp" game that honestly isn't even all that great (Yeah, I'm biased 13 ) doesn't make Gamespot biased.

However, I've heard a lot over time that they do make a lot of biasec claims. So eh.

Remindme
I think everyone is bias, even reveiwers, take a look at certain movies, some get awesome rating at turn out to be awful and vice-versa

I would expect Gamespot to be bias, but maybe the rating just meant it was expected to be better than what it was.

I doubt reveiwers are going to risk their job to downrate a game they don't like, but that's just my two cents

Lana
Originally posted by Remindme
I think everyone is bias, even reveiwers, take a look at certain movies, some get awesome rating at turn out to be awful and vice-versa

I would expect Gamespot to be bias, but maybe the rating just meant it was expected to be better than what it was.

I doubt reveiwers are going to risk their job to downrate a game they don't like, but that's just my two cents

I actually disagree on the last bit, as the reviews are pretty much based on whether or not the reviewer liked the game or not - it's not all about the technical aspect.

I don't think it's so much as bias as not everyone likes the same thing.

Darkhalen
They all are bias
Every single one
Games, Movies, they all support ones that have some connection with them or if they don't like something then they will trash it
Alas this is the way of the world

WrathfulDwarf
Can't post a link but I'll give you a visual image of the riots. laughing out loud

Remindme
Originally posted by Lana
I actually disagree on the last bit, as the reviews are pretty much based on whether or not the reviewer liked the game or not - it's not all about the technical aspect.

I don't think it's so much as bias as not everyone likes the same thing.

I suppose your right, after all i guess that's why they are hired in the first place....eep

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Can't post a link but I'll give you a visual image of the riots. laughing out loud

hahahah, that's insane one reveiw and people turn like that? crazy world we live in

ESB -1138
It's too easy, the story falls flat, and the "throw everything in including the kitchen sink" style of gameplay takes too much of the focus off the tight platforming and fun combat. That said, the gorgeous visuals and generally fun gameplay are enough to make Tools of Destruction worthwhile for the series' fans and newcomers alike.

Seems like Gamestop actually played the game.

General Kaliero
Obligatory 8.8 comment!

Seriously, though, there are a few reviewers on the Gamespot staff that have all but admitted to hating the Wii. I'm sure there are a few that feel the same about the PS3.

ESB -1138
Some hate the 360, some hate the Wii, and some hate the PS3. That's the way things work.

Darkhalen
Everyone has a favorite console
and a console they hate but in their line of work it is good to be professional

((The_Anomaly))
The guys at IGN rated it a 9.4, which judging by the rest of the media reviews seems like they rated it too high. Overall its prolly in the 8.5 range. Needless to say once I get my PS3 this is a game I'll pick up for sure. Gamespot is pretty bias towards the Wii though (and the PS3 to a lesser extent), Zelda got an 8.8, Metroid Prime 3 got like an 8.5, makes me wonder what they'll rate Galaxy. Nevertheless I doubt this game is a 7.4 seeing as everyone else is rating it like 1 or 2 points higher then that.

Smasandian
Does it really matter what the score is?

It's just the score.

I read the review and I can understand where they're coming from. Havnt played the game but if the review is true, I would totally give it around that.

If Gamespot kept with its old score then it would of probably gotten 7.9 or something similiar.

I also agree with its Twilight Princess review. If I remember correctly, the main problem with tha guy that they had was its basically another Zelda game. Great game, but nothing original.

Darkhalen
If you like the game you don't need other people to tell you how good it is they can tell you about it but it is your decision at the end of it

Impediment
I downloaded the demo of R & C for my PS3, and I loved it.

BackFire
Kinda similar to what happened with them and Twilight Princess. Gave it a score that the fanboys felt was too low and instinctively called bias, without even considering the possibility that the reviewer raised some perfectly valid points as to why the game didn't get a higher score. I like that Gamespot doesn't cater to the fanboys and reviews a game honestly, not taking into account hype or any of that.

Darkhalen
To true

Sol Valentine
It's just a score, the gamers don't really have to be slaves to the score and follow it like it's gonna change gaming history.

If they like the new Rarchet and Clank game, **** the score.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Sol Valentine
It's just a score, the gamers don't really have to be slaves to the score and follow it like it's gonna change gaming history.

If they like the new Rarchet and Clank game, **** the score.

Right, I still like Dragon Blade despite Gamestop giving it a low score.

Darkhalen
that is what I say as well

SaTsuJiN
I doubt they're biased... reviews are an opinion anyway.. I just dig through them for the facts

anyway.. I think its very hard for a platformer to be a 'killer app' these days... wasnt mario 64 the last great platformer?

ESB -1138
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
I doubt they're biased... reviews are an opinion anyway.. I just dig through them for the facts

anyway.. I think its very hard for a platformer to be a 'killer app' these days... wasnt mario 64 the last great platformer?

Not until next month.

S_D_J
what, Gamexbot is biased?

no way....

and about R&C... this game it's one of the reason I want a PS3 so bad, I really don't care about the score it gets (or any other game gets for that matter)... that's just one guy's opinion, I don't think it reflects the entire opinion of the staff, the page or the whole gaming community... just an opinion.

...though it does help when considering purchasing a game....

about Gamexbot... other sites have gave it a higher score, if the "guy" decides to give it a lower score, so be it... people are not as blind as to not compare other ratings and the game itself before agreeing with "that guy's" opinion...

and those who won't played it... don't know what they are missing... it's not the best game ever created, but it's fun and that's what counts...

WrathfulDwarf
What the hell is a "Gamexbot"?

Blax_Hydralisk
I'm so glad you're alive, WD. I've been so worried about you.

WrathfulDwarf
Alive and kicking. batman

Darkhalen
Hmm

Yes Next month a new great platformer will be released

S_D_J
What the hell is a "Gamexbot"?

It think you know... big grin

if not:
Xbot=Xbox fanboy
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Xbot

btw, you are biased WD stick out tongue

j/k big grin

Darkhalen
LOL

A person who is blindly, fanatically loyal to Microsoft. Will immediately buy anything with the Xbox logo and mindlessly insult anyone who doesn't share their fanaticism, and would proclaim a blank disc with "Halo" scribbled on it to be the greatest game ever made. Rarer than the Nintendrone, but no less lame.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by S_D_J
It think you know... big grin

if not:
Xbot=Xbox fanboy
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Xbot

btw, you are biased WD stick out tongue

j/k big grin

So, that's practically the opposite of a Wiitard or a PS3droid?

Gotta love internet nicknames. stick out tongue

Darkhalen
So Do I funny, funny Names

S_D_J
So, that's practically the opposite of a Wiitard or a PS3droid?

Gotta love internet nicknames. stick out tongue

yep, Pstool, Nintendrone... and my personal favourite Wiitard...

....oh, I'm such a Wiitard rite now big grin... but I'm getting better stick out tongue

Darkhalen
Hahahaha

ragesRemorse
While you were sleeping last night Gamespot finally reviewed Rachet and Clank for the PS3. This was thought to be the killer app many PS3 owners were expecting. The game got some pretty good reviews from other gaming sites.

But Gamespot gave an average score....7.5. The entire Sony Nation are up in arms agaisn't gamespot. According to some fans....Gamespot hates the PS3.

Whachoo fellas think?

(I personally find it funny all the screaming fanboys e-mailing the gamespot site.)

stick out tongue

What is the big deal? 7.5 isnt bad. If the game is fun, it doesnt matter what anyone rates it. Chances are it is just another ratchet and clank game with updated graphics. This has to be close to the tenth installment in this franchise and if its still scoring a 7.5 fans should be happy. I dont see what people are really expecting out this game other than a ratchet and clank game. The games are always fun, but are still ratchet and clank.

Darkhalen
As long as YOU like the game what is the matter

~KoK!~

Whachoo fellas think?

stick out tongue I think teh rating makes all teh sense in teh world, to tell you the truth, especially after playing the game and reading the review.

I played it, and I'm a pretty big R&C fan, but I couldn't help but feel as though I was playing "Ratchet and Clack, Pirates of the Carribbian edition!" Espeically after that cliffhanger of an ending. Fact it, teh plot was severely weak, and the game was just as easy and essentially the same as the previous four. However, it was still fun as hell.

So yeah, it probably could've scraped an 8, but I'm not all pissed about it.

Insomniac should take a more Naughtydog approoach. Do people want another good Jak game? Probably. Will tehy get it? Doubtful. New console? New series. FTW.

WrathfulDwarf
According to Gamespot...they don't really want to review MGS4 because they feel bullied by Kojima and the fanboys.

My take is this....Review the game and if the fanboys explode with anger because of a low score....good! However, if the game is indeed good. Then give it the score it deserves.

ermm

ThoraxeRMG
Originally posted by ESB -1138
It's too easy, the story falls flat, and the "throw everything in including the kitchen sink" style of gameplay takes too much of the focus off the tight platforming and fun combat. That said, the gorgeous visuals and generally fun gameplay are enough to make Tools of Destruction worthwhile for the series' fans and newcomers alike.

Seems like Gamestop actually played the game.

I agree, to me the game is just Crash Bandicoot with guns.

Smasandian
According to Gamespot...they don't really want to review MGS4 because they feel bullied by Kojima and the fanboys.

My take is this....Review the game and if the fanboys explode with anger because of a low score....good! However, if the game is indeed good. Then give it the score it deserves.

ermm

I dont think it has to do with score and more about how Konami insisted that reviewers do not mention anything about the length of cutscenes or the install time during the game.

EGM and others have also done this too. It's probably been reviewed already, but they havnt released it yet, and probably will just after the date.

WrathfulDwarf
I think that by now every one in the game industry knows that there could be 90mins of cut scenes. It was speculate weeks ago. But you know....where there is smoke there is fire.

Morridini
90 mins of cut-scenes throughout a game isn't that bad is it?
If the game is proportionaly as long.

S_D_J

ermm

I pretty much though they could rate MGS4 with a low score. The game it's gonna sell like hot pancakes whatever the score is. Besides Internet scores have lost quite a bit of credibility lately with exclusives deals and what not. (Assassin's Creed anyone?) and then there was that rating scandal at Gamespot. I don't think serious gamers will lose any sleep over GS score (fanboys are a whole different issue).

I would expect an 8.5 out of Gamespot, and still it's a great score, specially when just about everyone else (exclusives or not) will give this game nothing lower than an average of 9 (the lower score I've seen it's 8.5)

Feel bullied by Kojima? that's just stupid, and cynical coming from them (you know what I mean). If they don't want to review it under their conditions, fine. Don't or wait a bit, but to throw a tantrum like that ...unnecessary
Fanboys, who the hell cares about them? what are they gonna do: Spam it to death... unless of course they mean Xbots, them I will understand roll eyes (sarcastic)Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I think that by now every one in the game industry knows that there could be 90mins of cut scenes. It was speculate weeks ago. But you know....where there is smoke there is fire.
So what's the problem? the only "controversial" things they're not allow to discuss IMO (if they want to review the game early) are the length of the cutscene, the install time, and obviously the end of the story (and the flashbacks involved)

... and I think it's gonna be longer than 90 min no expression

the only downside I see in this game it's the lack of multiplayer (besides MGO, that's a different game) and that certainly plays against it

Smasandian
I though the epilogue is lengthy, up there in 90 minutes itself.

Like GTA4, its going to get rated in terms of score really high, and it will probably be seen as overrated in 5 years, just like GTA4.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Smasandian
Like GTA4, its going to get rated in terms of score really high, and it will probably be seen as overrated in 5 years, just like GTA4.

Yeah...well it fallen out of the top 1 (and 2 spot) as the highest rated game of all time so I'm good with that considering I don't think they should be in the top 10 at all (same as the Orange Box. They've took a bunch of great games and slapped them together; hardly any input at all. Jeez; how about I make a game with Super Mario Galaxy; Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, and Super Smash Bros Brawl or Halo 3, Gears of War, and BioShock).

Peach
Originally posted by Smasandian
I though the epilogue is lengthy, up there in 90 minutes itself.

GTA4's been seen as overrated since the day it launched...great game but not worth the scores it got.

Personally I also predict the same for MGS4.

Smasandian
Yeah, but will see a bunch of lists 5 years ago about the most overrated game of all time and GTA4 will be on the list near the top.

ESB, what do you mean by hardly any input at all comment about the Orange Box?

EvilTyrant
Anyone see the Gametrailers rating on MGS4? Everything scored well, but the lowest score went to story. I also heard that Halo 3's story was rated higher. Can someone explain why? Or tell me if you agree with that or not.

Superboy Prime
Probably because Halo's story is less complicated and does not have a bazillion plot twists, but who knows.

MadMel
i dont mind if reviews display the fact when they give out low scores, but when they make shit up about a game just to give it a low score (*cough IGN*cough*), then i get angry erm

WrathfulDwarf
IGN gave MGS4 a 10.

That's two 10 perfect scores in such a short time span.

Smasandian
I cant really comment on the score because I havnt played it, but GTA4 shouldn't of gotten a perfect score.

@st
I dont see it as a problem really, these are two of the most hyped games to come out in a long time, and for the most part, they both delivered.

GTA has an incredible main game, but it wears off after you finish and realise there isnt much else, but a reviewer rushing through the game and just playing a bit of the side missions and stuff doesnt feel that kind of "now what?" feeling that a lot of GTA4 players are getting now over a month later. I just started playing Metal Gear, but so far I am absolutely loving it, and im ready to say its the best game I played this year, but its not over yet. stick out tongue

EvilTyrant
Yes, I bought MGS4 yesterday, and the game is the best I played, even though I only played for about 20mins because my gf needed to jump on FFXI. Also I cant see why reviewers are blasting the cutscenes, they are great. The cutscenes help tell the story. If they were sh!tty cs's like I saw in Haze then I can understand having to sit thru it, but all the negative crap on MGS4 seems like nitpicking, just trying to find something to b!tch about.

@st
I think a lot of the backlash on cutscenes, is from average gamers or gamers not fond of Metal Gear, or the reviewers are just taking that in to account in their comments. Most games always try to make themselves more accessible to wider audiences and do things to get new fans. Well, with MGS4 Kojima basically said "**** that", and made the ultimate Metal Gear game for the biggest Metal Gear fans.

EDIT: Gamepot just handed out another 10 too.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/metalgearsolid4/review.html?tag=topslot;title;1&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot stick out tongue

Smasandian
Originally posted by @st
I dont see it as a problem really, these are two of the most hyped games to come out in a long time, and for the most part, they both delivered.

GTA has an incredible main game, but it wears off after you finish and realise there isnt much else, but a reviewer rushing through the game and just playing a bit of the side missions and stuff doesnt feel that kind of "now what?" feeling that a lot of GTA4 players are getting now over a month later. I just started playing Metal Gear, but so far I am absolutely loving it, and im ready to say its the best game I played this year, but its not over yet. stick out tongue

Meh, it has a few glaring problems, not big, but still there.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by @st
I think a lot of the backlash on cutscenes, is from average gamers or gamers not fond of Metal Gear, or the reviewers are just taking that in to account in their comments. Most games always try to make themselves more accessible to wider audiences and do things to get new fans. Well, with MGS4 Kojima basically said "**** that", and made the ultimate Metal Gear game for the biggest Metal Gear fans.

EDIT: Gamepot just handed out another 10 too.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/metalgearsolid4/review.html?tag=topslot;title;1&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot stick out tongue

Well that should get rid of all those conspiracy theories coming from the fanboys.

Or

Are is gamespot just doing this to get fans back.

(mind you the latter can be consider conspiracy theory as well)

S_D_J
Well that should get rid of all those conspiracy theories coming from the fanboys.

Or

Are is gamespot just doing this to get fans back.

(mind you the latter can be consider conspiracy theory as well)
I got another, even wilder, implausible, theory:

"the games it's deserving of the scores it gets"

ninja

EDIT:

crylaugh

Alpha Centauri
The only time a game, or anything really, deserves a lot of hype is when it's not originally hyped, but turns out amazing.

I don't think Metal Gear 4 or G.T.A. 4 deserve anywhere near the hype they got, but it's gonna happen, isn't it?

-AC

Blax_Hydralisk
Originally posted by Superboy Prime
Probably because Halo's story is less complicated and does not have a bazillion plot twists, but who knows.

Plus it's patriotic.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by S_D_J
I got another, even wilder, implausible, theory:

"the games it's deserving of the scores it gets"

ninja

EDIT:

crylaugh

Then one would ask...why were the first reviews of the game weren't as high as the recent? did Kojima had some scheme working when the first reviews came out?

I'm not making ANY conspiracies...I'm going with what I saw during this and last week.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
The only time a game, or anything really, deserves a lot of hype is when it's not originally hyped, but turns out amazing.

I don't think Metal Gear 4 or G.T.A. 4 deserve anywhere near the hype they got, but it's gonna happen, isn't it?

-AC

oh yes it is.

chithappens
Then one would ask...why were the first reviews of the game weren't as high as the recent? did Kojima had some scheme working when the first reviews came out?

I'm not making ANY conspiracies...I'm going with what I saw during this and last week.

It went from a 9.5 to a 10 on Gamespot. They cited some bug on the site as the reason for the 9.5 ...

In other news, EGM simply delayed their review to say **** Konami:

Link

Smasandian
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

-AC

I dont think any game nowadays deserves any sort of hype. It's always overblown before the game is released and the game never exceeds expectations.

But it is not the fault of the game, but the media and PR.

MGS4 is probably a great game for people who love MGS games, while GTA4 is similar.

But in the present, you rarely see a game that comes up and surprise people. With numerous gaming sites, magazines, TV shows and forums and the greed of the gaming industry shoving trailers and game footage down your throat, you'll never see a game surprise people.

@st
On the subject of reviews....

I checked out gamespy who gave 4 1/2 to Metal Gear and said it was the best PS3 game yet, but they gave GTA a 5. WTF? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Smasandian
Yeah, kinda of weird.

S_D_J

Thought we were talking about Gamespot here.

for starters: that thing about not wanting to rate the game because of the Kojima/Konami Restrictions and Fan reaction, why even comment on that?, they gave it a 10, so why ***** about it? by doing that, it gives the impression that they would have rated the game with a relatively mediocre rating, so once again PS3 fanboys would get mad at them. By the score given now, Xbox fanboys would have been the ones they wanted to please, but... couldn't?

I understand not everybody felt comfortable with the restrictions, but most chose to hold their ratings after the release, which it's a good idea, now what you point out it's true: why did that happened?

One would think the early lower scores given were lower because they were bitter about the restrictions?... or maybe they didn't want to hype the game even more before its release? (unlikely)...

or just maybe: could it be because the reviews are just opinions done, and given (mostly) by one guy who works in the mag/site but, while official, doesn't really represent an average of the rating the community (mag/site) as a whole will give?

the exact opposite happened with Assassin's Creed, early reviews over hyped the game, while later, more in depth, reviews gave the game the rating it deserved and commented on how repetitive the game actually is.

bottom line: it's best to play (or experience) something for yourself than follow, and refer to, reviews as the one and only truth. reviews are sort of guidelines, you don't know whether the author is biased or not (not necessarily in a fanboyish-biased way of speaking)

Smasandian
I only use reviews to see if I might like the game or not.

If the game is scored a 7, but what is in the review states that it has gameplay that I might enjoy, I'll check it out.

Same with a perfect score, if the game doesnt appeal to me, then I wont try it.

Unlike music or movies, game reviews are generally quite accurate. Gameplay mechanics are more of an exact thing than what movies and music do. If the reviewer didnt have fun and they gave examples of why its not fun then generally means that theres a good chance it might not be a good game.

Peach
Originally posted by @st
On the subject of reviews....

I checked out gamespy who gave 4 1/2 to Metal Gear and said it was the best PS3 game yet, but they gave GTA a 5. WTF? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Unless they mean MGS4 is the best PS3 exclusive, in which case it'd make sense.

WrathfulDwarf
Gamespot breaks away from the accusations of bias by making MGS4 Game of the Year!

http://www.gamespot.com/best-of/game-of-the-year/index.html?page=2

MGS4 beat GTA IV, Left 4 Dead, and Fallout 3.

ThunderGodEneru
and Fallout 3. That's bullshit.

Morridini
Um, how can that be BS? it says so in the link provided.

Smasandian
I think he meant its bullshit that MGS4 beat out Fallout 3 in terms of best game of 08.

My favourite would be Left 4 Dead, but MGS4 winning it is still a good choice. Almost finished it, and I must say its one of the better games I've played.

Zack Fair
I am glad MGS4 got Game of the Year.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.