Green Lanterns: Kyle or John

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

seaapple
Why does Kyle seemingly get so much love here? He seems like a youngblood to me. Not bad by any means, but I would prefer to see a battle tested Lantern like John as more powerful.

Hal is the classic Earth GL, though Alan started it all. I consider John the main one after them. Guy Gardner was earlier, but he looks like a bully from Back to the Future.

Maybe it's the mask. Everyone knows that GL looks best with a mask, maybe the self-esteem it grants translates into willpower.

Entity
Because Kyle is the man!

He started out all solo without any help or training form the Green Lantern Corps and has done just as good or IMO better than any lantern before him.

Also while Hal is supposedly great because he has no fear. Kyle has much fear and constantly overcomes it. To me that is many many time greater than having no fear.

Kyle also comes up with countlessly incredible uses for his ring. Meaning he doesn't always just save the day with a giant ball, bat or glove. He's into more than just baseball. lol

Kyle Rayner for ultimate Lantern!
Bring back Classic Ion damnit! stick out tongue

Switch 07
Hal then Kyle then Guy then Kilowog then Yat then John. smokin'

But seriously I like them in this order from most to least:

Guy
Hal
Kilowog
Yat = Kyle (Undecided)
John (Unless its cartoon John because then hes cool, damn cool, and all hes gotta do is stay black)

shifty

Citizen V
Alan>Guy>Hal>Kyle>John.

John's a tool.

llagrok
Originally posted by Citizen V
Alan>Guy>Hal>Kyle>John.

seaapple
Is John going last because people don't like how he is a buttoned-up military man?

Capt Spaulding
Hal>Alan>Kyle>John>Guy

Gardener's a fool

seaapple
btw, just my personal preference:

Hal>=John>Alan>Kyle>>Guy

(I am only considering Earth GLs right now. Maybe I prefer a more serious, mature seeming GL. Alan is lower because I dont know the character as well).

Priest
Originally posted by seaapple
Is John going last because people don't like how he is a buttoned-up military man?
no, its because he's black ermm

seaapple
As an aside:

It works both ways because a lot of the time comic book creators don't make black characters cool (they have no personality sometimes besides just being black -- or they have stupid costumes and names (read: Mr. Terrific or Black Lightning)). Hence, John gets no mask and doesn't have the spooky white GL eyes like Hal. At least Black Pather got rid of the striped mittens and has a little cape now.

Seriously, how many characters who are streetwise, from the mean streets, and black (read: Luke Cage) can there be?

At least John has a pretty decent costume and good powers, even if he started as just a back-up.

jrodslam
In terms of favorites, for me its Hal/Guy>kyle>John for Earth Lanterns.

The reason i dont like John much is because he has no character. He blows. Some may say that Hal has no character either, but he has much more than John imo and that alone says alot. Plus, Hal is the ladies man of the Corps. hes also cocky as hell. Some ways behind Gardner, but cocky and full of himself.

Gardner can be an ass, but there are times he does get serious and doesnt get his ass handed to him. His willpower when serious and determined isnt too far from Hal imo. He no doubt the most confident.

Kyle is easily the most creative. His youth and artistic mind makes him cool and different than the most. Although John is next to Kyle in terms of creativeness, hes just to lame to me.

Edit: And whats the poll for?

Citizen V
Mr Terrific is IMO one of the best black characters at the moment, up there with Black Panther (regardless of the writing, I've always loved the character).

jrodslam
Cage and Jakeem Tunder are my faves in terms of black characters.

seaapple
The poll is just a tally of personal preference -- not of power level.

It's funny the comment about John not having personality, it is perhaps an example of my last point about how comic writers often treat black characters.

It's also funny how quickly race gets mentioned in any thread involving a black character. But it's probably better to be open about it than to pretend such issues don't exist. It's kind a shame too though.

seaapple
Originally posted by jrodslam
Cage and Jakeem Tunder are my faves in terms of black characters.

Silver Surfer is mine.

shifty

batdude123
Kyle>Alan>Hal>John>Guy

Guy's a tool.

Fixed

jrodslam
The poll is just a tally of personal preference -- not of power level.

It's funny the comment about John not having personality, it is perhaps an example of my last point about how comic writers often treat black characters.

It's also funny how quickly race gets mentioned in any thread involving a black character. But it's probably better to be open about it than to pretend such issues don't exist. It's kind a shame too though.

Oh ok.

I think John as a character is/was suppose to be the balance between (at the time) Hal and Guy.

Guy was always trying to push Hals buttons. Hal would sometimes stoop to Guys level, but John always kept the level head for the most part. John always appeaered to be the most disciplined. He still is for the most part. Excluding Kilowog that is. I think that its good, a/the "black guy" is for one a main Lantern and is mature and level headed rather than a cocky and ignorant fool. They even gave him a bit of a boost in Mosaic.

He just doesnt do it for me personally.erm

Switch 07
As an aside:

It works both ways because a lot of the time comic book creators don't make black characters cool (they have no personality sometimes besides just being black -- or they have stupid costumes and names (read: Mr. Terrific or Black Lightning)). Hence, John gets no mask and doesn't have the spooky white GL eyes like Hal. At least Black Pather got rid of the striped mittens and has a little cape now.

Seriously, how many characters who are streetwise, from the mean streets, and black (read: Luke Cage) can there be?

At least John has a pretty decent costume and good powers, even if he started as just a back-up. You had to bring up the black shit. roll eyes (sarcastic)

willRules
My favourite's Hal yes

seaapple
True, good point about John being disciplined and level-headed -- I'm glad he isn't a Chris Tucker character.

seaapple
Originally posted by Priest
no, its because he's black ermm

Originally posted by Switch 07
You had to bring up the black shit. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I didn't bring it up...I followed it up...

Citizen V
Originally posted by batdude123
Fixed

It wasn't broken to begin with.

Switch 07
I didn't bring it up...I followed it up... It was a joke. Not to be taken seriously.

I hate how race is always brought into this.

It just brings more hate.

Trust me.

batdude123
It wasn't broken to begin with.

Nothing looks broken to a blind man.

Switch 07
Nothing looks broken to a blind man. I am not blind and it was not broken. Maybe little bit needs tweaking but Guy is the man.

llagrok
True, good point about John being disciplined and level-headed -- I'm glad he isn't a Chris Tucker character.

Yeah, the strict type is a lot less stereotypical

Nothing looks broken to a blind man.

Good thing V ain't blind then.

Originally posted by Switch 07
I am not blind and it was not broken. Maybe little bit needs tweaking but Guy is the man.

Exxxxactly.

jrodslam
Guy is the man. It wouldve been nice if he could still keep some of his Vuldarian powers. That would have been freaking sweet.

Citizen V
Originally posted by jrodslam
Guy is the man. It wouldve been nice if he could still keep some of his Vuldarian powers. That would have been freaking sweet.

Well, I prefer him as Green Lantern about 2000 times more than I did as "Warrior".

seaapple
No sweat Switch 07, I got it.

I'm really surprised at how much love Guy gets here! I thought the haircut did it in for him!

llagrok
Alan gets even more, because of that book he wrote.

shifty

batdude123
laughing out loud @ all the Guy love in this thread.

Guy: "Look at me!! I'm the token 'bad boy' of the Green Lantern Corps!!"

No Guy, you're a douchebag f@ggot.

jrodslam
Well, I prefer him as Green Lantern about 2000 times more than I did as "Warrior".

I too prefer him as a Lantern, but i do wish he still had some of the warrior powers. I know that alot of people dint like him as Warrior, but i thought it was kinda cool.

I'm really surprised at how much love Guy gets here! I thought the haircut did it in for him!

True. It surprises me too, but yet theres lots of people that still bash him. Something i dont get.sad

Erik-Lensherr
I don't usually comment about other people's opinions.

But that's just .. erm

llagrok
laughing out loud @ all the Guy love in this thread.

Guy: "Look at me!! I'm the token 'bad boy' of the Green Lantern Corps!!"

No Guy, you're a douchebag f@ggot.

Hater

batdude123
Originally posted by llagrok
Hater

Of course.

Validus
Kyle > Hal > Alan > Guy > John

llagrok
Originally posted by Validus
Kyle > Hal > Alan > Guy > John

Wow, Kyle on first :/

batdude123

Yes.

Validus
Who else? Guy? laughing out loud

batdude123
Who else? Guy? laughing out loud

crylaugh

llagrok
Alan smile

Validus
Kyle, Hal and Alan are all pretty close IMO.

Blair Wind
Kyle >= Hal > Guy > John

Fixed (at least in term of power) I dont really know where to place Alan though. Is he still sentinel?

Soljer
As far as power goes, Hal and Kyle are pretty much tied for first, followed by Alan(not sentinel), then Guy, then John.

Martian_mind
Originally posted by Blair Wind
Fixed (at least in term of power) I dont really know where to place Alan though. Is he still sentinel?

No......
not for like,years....

Also in terms of overall GL's.

Kilowog
Green Man
Guy/alan
Hal
Kyle
John

John has no lasting appeal for me,i mean he lacks a well-developed character and doesn't really have anything that makes him stand out from the others.

Galan007
Hal is the classic Earth GL, though Alan started it all. I consider John the main one after them. Bollocks.

I've seen John do like 2 things that impressed me. none

Martian_mind
Originally posted by Galan007
Bollocks.

Damn right.

willRules
Originally posted by Galan007
Bollocks.

You've seen John do more impressive things than I have no expression

The only cool thing I have seen John do is blow up Parallax's face in the Sinestro corps storyline no expression

DigiMark007
For anyone interested, there's good respect threads for both of these guys. Hal and Kyle have the most impressive feats of any GLs, which is why they get the most love on KMC (rightly so). Even Alan is hard-pressed to match their versatility, though his power feats are at a similar level.

In any case, closing....personal opinions are fine, but this doesn't really seem to be going anywhere.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.