Best TV's to play video games on

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

shin_gear
What is the best type of tv set to play video games on?

((The_Anomaly))
There is no one answer. Be more specific.

shin_gear
I meant what are the best tv sets..my mistake.

Spearhead
Big, high def ones?

Seems like a silly question.

shin_gear
I heard DLP's are not a good choice at all, and heard plasma sets aren't for them from some and heard otherwise from several other people. Some HD displays are not meant for video games which is why I'm curious to know which set/sets are the best.

((The_Anomaly))
The differences between brands are generally minimal. If you have a 360 you want a TV that will display at least 720p (and use Progressive Scan don't use 1080i, 720p looks better then 1080i) if you have a PS3 the best you want is a TV that supports 1080p, at the least you want a TV that supports HDMI. That said its not worth the price to get a 1080p HDTV unless its over 40 inches since the differences between 1080p and 720p wont be noticeable. If you own a Wii then you want a HDTV that is NOT over 32 inches, 26 inches is best for the Wii in my experience, I own a 26 inch HDTV that's in my bedroom and a 52 inch in my living room, my friend owns a 32 inch screen and I've tried it on all of them and 26 inch is the best size for the Wii. Basically it really depends on what system your using and what size of room you intend to put it in, other then that just get a well known brand name HDTV and you'll be fine.

SaTsuJiN
I have a 52" LCD Projection TV by Panasonic, and I havent been able to go back to regular tv since XD

Smasandian
I have an 46" DLP Projection and I also havnt been able to go back.

Some DLP TV's have a slight delay between button presses and action on the screen but I havnt really noticed it when I play now.

My TV had it but I changed to first component with really good cables and it fixed it.

But some DLP dont have that problem. Just got to research. I love my TV, its perfect for TV, movies and its good for gaming. Best picture quality out of all of the other HDTV's in my opinion.

AstroFan
Ive always heard that Plasma screens have burn in problems, which would be terrible for games.

I have Sharp Aquos LCD, I absolutely love it. The Wii can be very jaggy, but thats more the Wii's fault then the tv.

Darkhalen
Whatever you want to play on

Smasandian
Originally posted by AstroFan
Ive always heard that Plasma screens have burn in problems, which would be terrible for games.

I have Sharp Aquos LCD, I absolutely love it. The Wii can be very jaggy, but thats more the Wii's fault then the tv.

I original got an Plasma and I hated it. Horrible TV.

There was burn in and your right, not very good for games.

Overall, LCD would problaby be the best bet, but do research and not listen to us because all TV's are different.

We can say get an LCD, and then next thing you know, the LCD you get could have an delay and be an horrible picture.

I love my DLP and my next TV, specifically for gaming will be an LCD.

SaTsuJiN
Sets with low m/s response.. good picture (i.e. probably best to see it in action for yourself before buying) and good price are things to look out for..

I've also heard plasma is a no-no..

what's DLP btw?

BackFire
I love my 32" HD LCD.

S_D_J
LCDs are much better for gaming..though it depends on your gaming system. The Anomaly explain it the best way possible

Specific brand: I would say VIZIO (thanks to Backfire and InnerRise for that) its a good brand, so far. And its pretty cheap smile

Smasandian
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
Sets with low m/s response.. good picture (i.e. probably best to see it in action for yourself before buying) and good price are things to look out for..

I've also heard plasma is a no-no..

what's DLP btw?

It's called Digital Light Processing.

Basically, there microscopic mirrors that rotate according to whats on screen.

Overall, the picture quality for DLP's are better than any other TV on the market because they can do the best colour and black levels.

They're great for home theatre systems and with newer consoles, they're response time is good.

JKozzy
My Sony 1080p 50" SXRD has never steered me wrong for TV, movies, or gaming. I, too, cannot go back to SD.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by shin_gear
What is the best type of tv set to play video games on?

A color TV larger than sixteen inches

shin_gear
I want an HD TV.................sad

I'll get one soon.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by BackFire
I love my 32" HD LCD.

show off mad

NASA
get a HD projector from Toshiba like ive got and trust you will love it, you can make the picture up 100 inches and its in full 1020i HD

All yours for £1000

vandalworks
we have a 42" rear projection tv, and its the best i've used for teh wii so far. its a great size for standing in front of playing tennis etc.

its not high def, but to be honest, i dont even care about high def, and probably wont for a number of years.

grey fox
If your playing on an old console , an old tv suits it perfectly. Newer ones point out the glaring inadequacies. Adding in the nostalgia factor and you have a perfect combo.

AstroFan
Yeah, one bad thing about my LCD, Virtual Console(specifically N64) games look bad. lol

THe 2d games arent so bad, they look very colorful. stick out tongue

cloudysky
Toshiba 47HL167 47 inch is good for gaming :
1080p HD Resolution
16:9 Widescreen
ATSC Digital and NTSC Tuners
3 HDMI / PC Input / Component Video
I noticed that it is on sale for $1799 in dealstudio.com ,this tv got very nice reviews in the amazon.com and the circuitcity.com , you can have a look at it .

Zack Fair
So...I'm buying a 32' LCD today and I'm split between Sony, Samsung & Panasonic....Vizio would have been in it too but since you guys say the difference between 1080p & 720p is not visible in smaller displays well that puts it out of the equation...unless you guys are wrong o_O

Anyways...anyone have any input on any of the brands I just mentioned? Thanks.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Zack Fair
So...I'm buying a 32' LCD today and I'm split between Sony, Samsung & Panasonic....Vizio would have been in it too but since you guys say the difference between 1080p & 720p is not visible in smaller displays well that puts it out of the equation...unless you guys are wrong o_O

Anyways...anyone have any input on any of the brands I just mentioned? Thanks.

Sony, Samsung and Panasonic are all very good. I, personally, would go for Samsung.

The difference between 1080p and 720p is quite massive. 1080p is more than twice as many pixels than 720p. I'm not sure about viewing movies, but I know what it does for games. Even on my 20inch monitor, the difference between 1680x1050 and 1280x720 is huge.

Unfortunately, since pretty much every console game only runs natively on 720p, the difference will be much, much less noticeable.

Nephthys
Tubby-telly. Better right before tubby-bye-bye.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.