Typical Troll Tactics

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Schecter
now, first off lets make clear that there is a sharp difference between trolling and a troll. trolling (v.) is simply the act of baiting for an argument. a troll (n.) is someone who attempts to disrupt and destroy all discussion in a forum, for whatever personal malfunctions. anyway, with that clarified, trolls seem to always follow the same pattern, and use the same tactics. ive always been fascinated with these individuals and what drives them, particulary their feeling of superiority and diabolical genius, when in fact they use the same tactics every time. it is my intention, with your help, to compile a comprehensive list of typical troll tactics.

very important: this is not a thread for calling out trolls. like the idiotic debating tactics thread, this is not intended for use in personal assaults.
just state your observations on constants and patterns in the methods by which trolls attempt to manipulate others. with your help this should be a great and informative discussion.

also,
its inevitable that trolls will feel called out by this thread and interfere with the hope of getting it closed. for the sake of this discussion, please ignore their silly 'fail' pics and all the other ebaumsworld hotlinks that they feel clever in posting.

so lets get the ball rolling:

a few that come to mind are:

-reversal of blame- harass and insult other members, and when someone replies in kind, play the victim. which of course leads to:

-abuse the 'report' function. self explanatory

-cry 'group think' or "herd mentality".... if everyone cant stand your obsessive annoyance, it must mean that they are brainwashed drones following the orders of some mysterious leader. after all, in a normal and constructive social setting harrasment and stalking would be welcomed and encouraged

-play 'Savior of the forums'.
they always do this and its a dead giveaway. whenever someone signs of claiming to want to bring peace to the forum, get ready for some trolling as they will attack contributing veterans and accuse them of killing discussion. one failed attempt after another to rally everyone behind them.

-sock puppeteering. we're all familiar with the term 'sock', but it originates with the act of registering a screenname which is seemingly identical to that of a troll's victim. so lets say someone wanted to sock troll me, they would make an account called something like "Schector" and copy my avatar and sig and post in my name in an attempt to assassinate my character.

ok, anyone wish to contribute?

Devil King
They accuse you of speaking out of anger when you point out how sad their lives must be.

Neo_Version 7
They link things that aren't really the links you thought they are.

BackFire
An overuse of the smiley face emoticon.

Rogue Jedi
lookie lookie, a big beautiful eye... eyewild

debbiejo
They try to convince you you're old.......lol

Mother Goose........hahaha

Okay, grandpa?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Schecter

-cry 'group think' or "herd mentality".... if everyone cant stand your obsessive annoyance, it must mean that they are brainwashed drones following the orders of some mysterious leader. after all, in a normal and constructive social setting harrasment and stalking would be welcomed and encouraged

On the other side, forums DO have "group think" or as I like to call it, irrational bandwagon bullshit. A few buddies and their close friends that they IM with every day of their sorry excuse for lives will take threat if anyone new shows merit in their posts. There is usually a ring leader or a a small handful of leaders. If a new poster disagrees with something posted no matter what it is, the ring leader attacks the new person. The posse follows suite.

It ends up being that just a very very small handful of people can ruin an entire message board. Group think has probably happened before here on KMC.

-sock puppeteering. we're all familiar with the term 'sock', but it originates with the act of registering a screenname which is seemingly identical to that of a troll's victim. so lets say someone wanted to sock troll me, they would make an account called something like "Schector" and copy my avatar and sig and post in my name in an attempt to assassinate my character.

laughing That is hilarious. You know, I have never seen that but I think it would be funny because the troll wouldn't be obvious at first but then the original person would point it out. Sounds like a good laugh for the original posters but I can see how a persistent troll doing this would get very very annoying.

KidRock
Originally posted by BackFire
An overuse of the smiley face emoticon.

pshhhh roll eyes (sarcastic) roll eyes (sarcastic) smokin' sad embarrasment

debbiejo
eek! laughing out loud

Oh, and copy and paste Nazi's.

smoker4
Originally posted by dadudemon
On the other side, forums DO have "group think" or as I like to call it, irrational bandwagon bullshit. A few buddies and their close friends that they IM with every day of their sorry excuse for lives will take threat if anyone new shows merit in their posts. There is usually a ring leader or a a small handful of leaders. If a new poster disagrees with something posted no matter what it is, the ring leader attacks the new person. The posse follows suite.

It ends up being that just a very very small handful of people can ruin an entire message board. Group think has probably happened before here on KMC.

Seen that a few times here at KMC.

My personal favourites are self congratualting/agreeing, meaning when someone has two socks and backs the other one up and the "what are you talking about? reply", always a good one that.

dadudemon
Originally posted by smoker4
Seen that a few times here at KMC.

My personal favourites are self congratualting/agreeing, meaning when someone has two socks and backs the other one up and the "what are you talking about? reply", always a good one that.

That is actually hilarious. This is a new world to me. I didn't think people had such a lack of a life that they actually did things like that.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Being Whirly is a troll tactic.

debbiejo
But, but what would your world be without him.............

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by debbiejo
eek! laughing out loud

Oh, and copy and paste Nazi's.

Because the worst thing about Nazis has always been their notorious copying and pasting.

I just couldn't help it.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by lil bitchiness

I just couldn't help it.

That's what Hitler said.

debbiejo
Because the worst thing about Nazis has always been their notorious copying and pasting.

I just couldn't help it. laughing out loud

Yeah, god told him to.....anything to win an argument.

Schecter
Originally posted by debbiejo
They try to convince you you're old.......lol

Mother Goose........hahaha

Okay, grandpa?

ironing

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Hey, it looks like it's been a tri-ban day today. Huzzah.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
That's what Hitler said. So you condone his actions.

debbiejo
ironing Denture Day!! holiday

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Originally posted by Bardock42
So you condone his actions.
I do. Damn long-ears, trying to steal Easter from Jesus.

lil bitchiness

debbiejo
Copy and inserts!'

blink laughing out loud

lil bitchiness
Because I use a cheap ass internet translator, you shouldn't use another cheap ass translator to re-translate what was probably already wrongly translated to begin with.

Theres a lesson there debbiejo...a lesson about translation.

debbiejo
laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing

The net is a wonderful place.......

dadudemon
Because I use a cheap ass Internet translator, you shouldn't use another cheap ass translator to re-translate what was probably already wrongly translated to begin with.

I never studied the German language and I understand exactly what that was supposed to be. I knew what "Deutchland" meant and I could figure the rest out from there....

In other words, it no cheap ass Internet translation required..."I saw what you did there."

Violent2Dope
I like how some trolls(one in particular I know) will get into a debate, and then start flaming you, and say you have no argument, without posting any kinda proof or anything, and declare themselves the winner of the debate.

Said troll also has a sock account(it's painfully obvious) to agree with him.

Victor Von Doom
Because I use a cheap ass internet translator, you shouldn't use another cheap ass translator to re-translate what was probably already wrongly translated to begin with.

Go on, teach her a lesson. Teach her good.

debbiejo
Is it opposite day?? blink

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Originally posted by Violent2Dope
I like how some trolls(one in particular I know) will get into a debate, and then start flaming you, and say you have no argument, without posting any kinda proof or anything, and declare themselves the winner of the debate.

Said troll also has a sock account(it's painfully obvious) to agree with him.
We demand names.

Schecter
oh please no

RedAlertv2
A lot of times trolls are arrogant and condescending, carefully baiting people without doing anything overtly against forum rules.

Bicnarok

WrathfulDwarf
Here are some Troll tactics some seem to forget...

The attitude that what they're doing isn't trolling. Meaning they use "holier than thou" in their actions.

Nitpicking! This is when troll takes certain parts of post. Twist them around and make it seem that it does not apply to him. Twists the post even more to attack the member.

Disguises! The worst of them all.

Buddy-buddy with a moderator so when the troll causes trouble he can get away with "we're just joking here"

Idiot trolls think that by making friends with a mod will get them a free out jail card. Man! are they're in for a surprise.

Constant COMPLAINING! A very distinguish Troll tactic. This is when the troll complains about just about EVERYTHING! But NEVER acknowledges his own actions.

Flame bait! Example: "I think this is nonsense...I can't wait for a reply."

A personal favorite that many trolls used on me before.

The infamous BANNED ME I COULD CARE LESS pm. This is when the troll pretends not to care whether he/she gets banned. But in reality they do care. That's why they keep coming.

KMC is fill with a lot of good apples. It is unfortunate that we have useless rotten apples spoiling the bunch. The best weapon agaisn't ANY kind of troll. It's the ignore function.

Don't analyze them. Don't waste time with them. Put them on ignore. They want your attention. They want to make you angry.

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Feed the trolls.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf

The attitude that what they're doing isn't trolling. Meaning they use "holier than thou" in their actions.

Nitpicking! This is when troll takes certain parts of post. Twist them around and make it seem that it does not apply to him. Twists the post even more to attack the member.

Buddy-buddy with a moderator so when the troll causes trouble he can get away with "we're just joking here"

Idiot trolls think that by making friends with a mod will get them a free out jail card. Man! are they're in for a surprise.

Constant COMPLAINING! A very distinguish Troll tactic. This is when the troll complains about just about EVERYTHING! But NEVER acknowledges his own actions.

The infamous BANNED ME I COULD CARE LESS pm. This is when the troll pretends not to care whether he/she gets banned. But in reality they do care. That's why they keep coming.

KMC is fill with a lot of good apples. It is unfortunate that we have useless rotten apples spoiling the bunch. The best weapon agaisn't ANY kind of troll. It's the ignore function.

Don't analyze them. Don't waste time with them. Put them on ignore. They want your attention. They want to make you angry.

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS. very insightful. I see these tactics used alot.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
Feed the trolls. Troll.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Not to be a *****, but grammar is your friend.

botankus
They start a thread in the GDF.

Except for this thead.

Schecter

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS.

omg spot on dude! whats even worse is when they call people names, label them as rotten, and refuse to settle personal differences and disputes via PM...and in fact would rather constanty air them out publically through veiled sanctimonious diatribes. people can be so petty.

Devil King
I have an undirected question. Can moderators be trolls?

InnerRise
Anyone can be a troll.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by InnerRise
Anyone can be a troll.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Well, you really don't want to be paranoid all the time.

Trust me...ignore the trolls. No matter how much they want attention...don't give it to them.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Devil King

I think that answer is obvious. We have outlined several tactics that trolls employ...not very hard to be a troll by some of those definitions.

Schecter

very unlikely imho, since a forum wouldnt last too long if that was the case...though it is certainly possible for a mod to actively troll, as in bait/insult/slander. painfully hypocritical, yes...but the topic at hand is people bent on sabotage and destruction of a forum, presumably...well...quite obviously for personal gratification. some people seem to have that confused.

debbiejo
Well, aren't you kissing up by being humble. roll eyes (sarcastic)

meep-meep
Devil King

I think they can. Interestingly enough, this post by one of the KMC mods aptly identifies a few tactics that I have seen a mod perform here. Specifically and on numerous occasions the "holier than thou" and "constant complaining" tactics.

Not looking to start anything, I'm just pointing out what I see. And of course no names.

meep-meep
I think that answer is obvious. We have outlined several tactics that trolls employ...not very hard to be a troll by some of those definitions.

Absolutely. It's pretty easy to be a troll.

Correction, it's pretty easy to troll a troll.

Schecter
please, for the sake of a healthy, informative, and noncombattive discussion, (re)read the following.

now, first off lets make clear that there is a sharp difference between trolling and a troll. trolling (v.) is simply the act of baiting for an argument. a troll (n.) is someone who attempts to disrupt and destroy all discussion in a forum, for whatever personal malfunctions. anyway, with that clarified...

meep-meep
please, for the sake of a healthy, informative, and noncombattive discussion, (re)read the following.

True that. I was getting off the topic. I apologize. I understand that there's a difference between being a troll, and trolling. I think just about everyone, with a few exceptions, here is guilty of trolling at some point.

inimalist
Originally posted by meep-meep
True that. I was getting off the topic. I apologize. I understand that there's a difference between being a troll, and trolling. I think just about everyone, with a few exceptions, here is guilty of trolling at some point.

would this post classify as trolling?

dadudemon
Originally posted by inimalist

I see what you did there.

Schecter
Originally posted by inimalist
imho no, that post seemed pretty honest and straight forward. still was an off-topic post, but oh well...

Devil King
Originally posted by InnerRise
Anyone can be a troll.

Right. I know anyone can troll. But, when a moderator does it, what's supposed to be done? Can a moderator be called out for being a troll? And what would anyone do about it?

inimalist

smile I'm a stinker

imho no, that post seemed pretty honest and straight forward. still was an off-topic post, but oh well...

lol, fair enough.

Schecter
another troll tactic is to alter quotes or just outright make them up. usually followed by some idiotic agreement and/or snarky comment and perhaps a smilie. also, i drink my own pee

i agree. smile

dadudemon
i agree. smile

For the millionth time today...(And yesterday...a lot of sneaky little comments. Is it sneaky post week and I just missed the memo?)

Violent2Dope
One troll tactic I have seen is when they get called out, they try to justify their actions in a stupid way.

Schecter
ive read "social experiment" and "personal amusement" tossed around. its odd since they always leave angry and battered. i guess that would be a failed experiment? confused

Schecter
just was reminded of a troll tactic, particularly with sock trolls.

they'll create a more kind/gentle/friendly persona and basically follow certain members around and kiss up to them, probably in a 'divide and conquer' effort, i guess the hope being that once they begin pecking and trolling, said buttered up members will come to their defense, and then they can sit back and watch the mayhem they've created. of course ive never seen this actually work, but i guess in the troll's mind all members are slaves to herd mentallity, so its possible.

chillmeistergen
Haha, yeah, that's a classic.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
just was reminded of a troll tactic, particularly with sock trolls.

they'll create a more kind/gentle/friendly persona and basically follow certain members around and kiss up to them, probably in a 'divide and conquer' effort, i guess the hope being that once they begin pecking and trolling, said buttered up members will come to their defense, and then they can sit back and watch the mayhem they've created. of course ive never seen this actually work, but i guess in the troll's mind all members are slaves to herd mentallity, so its possible.
GROUPTHINK

SHEEPLE

HERD MENTALITY

WrathfulDwarf
Right. I know anyone can troll. But, when a moderator does it, what's supposed to be done? Can a moderator be called out for being a troll? And what would anyone do about it?

That is why we have more than one moderator DK. That is why we also have an administrator. Now, if you think even an administrator can be a Troll...then..oh well...throw your hands in the air.

Devil King
i agree. smile

LOL You couldn't leave off the drink my own pee comment?

That is why we have more than one moderator DK. That is why we also have an administrator. Now, if you think even an administrator can be a Troll...then..oh well...throw your hands in the air.

I sense you feel I'm trying to "talk shit". Don't take it personally.

WrathfulDwarf
LOL You couldn't leave off the drink my own pee comment?

I sense you feel I'm trying to "talk shit". Don't take it personally.

No, I brought you a fact. As far as I recall we've never thrown mud at each other. So I don't take it personally.

dadudemon
As far as I recall we've never thrown mud at each other. So I don't take it personally.

Hmmmmm....sounds sexy...German sexy. shifty

Schecter
when you are exposed as a failed troll, simply state "i did it for the lulz" or that it was all just a "social experiment".

this is especially fail-ridden when used to punctuate a lengthy multi-post butthurt ranting baaawwww-fest.

I'm the daddy
when you are exposed as a failed troll, simply state "i did it for the lulz" or that it was all just a "social experiment".

this is especially fail-ridden when used to punctuate a lengthy multi-post butthurt ranting baaawwww-fest.

You posted on Christmas dayerm You WIN!

Schecter
good thats another one.

monitor the accounts of others to determine when they posted. if they happened to post withing the 24 hour span of christmas eve, attempt to convince others (who do not care) that this person spent all day posting.
ignore the irony of public crying and angry ranting brought on by another loveless and lonely holiday season. just focus on the win.

I'm the daddy
good thats another one.

monitor the accounts of others to determine when they posted. if they happened to post withing the 24 hour span of christmas eve, attempt to convince others (who do not care) that this person spent all day posting.
ignore the irony of public crying and angry ranting brought on by another loveless and lonely holiday season. just focus on the win.

And you posted Christmas eve and boxing day according to your profile. erm

Schecter
you're a lonely, bitter, and antisocial emo furfag...according to your account(s)

cut youself

I'm the daddy
you're an lonely, bitter, and antisocial emo furfag...according to your account(s)

Enjoy your New Years Eve posting. erm

Devil King

See, I always assumed a post was fail-ridden when, despite it's juvenile nature, it was made by a lawyer with a degree in genetics and sociology.

I'm the daddy
See, I always assumed a post was fail-ridden when, despite it's juvenile nature, it was made by a lawyer with a degree in genetics and sociology.

Sounds complicated.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by I'm the daddy
You posted on Christmas dayerm You WIN!

laughing laughing laughing laughing

Rogue Jedi
you're a lonely, bitter, and antisocial emo furfag...according to your account(s)

cut youself furfag? confused

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
furfag? confused

A person who enjoys images (specifically sexual in nature) of "furries" or anthropomorphized cats/dogs/sheep etc.
As far as I know the phrase comes from 4chan's /b/tards or from someone in /d/.

Schecter
googlez? dur

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
A person who enjoys images (specifically sexual in nature) of "furries" or anthropomorphized cats/dogs/sheep etc.
As far as I know the phrase comes from 4chan's /b/tards or from someone in /d/. I see. I'd say thanx for that, but I'm not sure if I am. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Schecter
switch between sock accounts within one minute of eachother. nobody will ever know dur

The Big OOO

Bardock42
I like your sig.

Schecter
however the rest of you is phail

Nod
They gave me a warning because I said he is determined or something.

Hail tyrants. eek!

Schecter
i know its a bit off topic, but why do they all come from the comic book versus forum? (besides the fact that the vs. forum is retarded and asinine in its very nature.)

DigiMark007
i know its a bit off topic, but why do they all come from the comic book versus forum? (besides the fact that the vs. forum is retarded and asinine in its very nature.)

I think you answered your own question.

wink

Seriously though, it's at a cross-section of characteristics that produce trolls:

One, it's heavily populated. The vs. forum is fairly consistently the 2nd busiest forum on KMC (after the OTF). Large numbers will tend to produce more trolls than other sections through sheer statistical probability.

Two, it's a forum for debate, which leads to animosity more often than, say, discussing movies or games. I have a feeling the religion forum would produce as many, for example, but it has only a small fraction of the activity of the vs. forum.

Third, the comic book industry's average demographic is about 15 years old. Most GDF'ers, for example, probably average in the early to mid 20's. And there's older members of the vs. forum as well, but it's generally the younger high-school age ones that create the problems, whether it's socks/trolls or just general problems.

jaden101

totally agree with that...the only time i ever get brief glances of that forum is if i perform a search as it seems no matter what you search for you get threads from the comic book vs forum popping up...just today i briefly saw a post about the average density of the earth being 5500 and something kg per whatever...i'm presuming it has something to do with some sad person trying to proof that some pointless character can destroy the earth by a magical ultra fart or some such shit

Symmetric Chaos

Because there are a huge number of people in the Comic Vs Forum that are young and very easy to troll. The sheer number of posters just about ensures that the troll will have a target to play with.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by jaden101
totally agree with that...the only time i ever get brief glances of that forum is if i perform a search as it seems no matter what you search for you get threads from the comic book vs forum popping up...just today i briefly saw a post about the average density of the earth being 5500 and something kg per whatever...i'm presuming it has something to do with some sad person trying to proof that some pointless character can destroy the earth by a magical ultra fart or some such shit

Which, of course, ignores the valid discussion and debate that occurs in the comic forums about a valid and entertaining hobby.

I don't mind admitting that a lot of trolls come from the vs. forum, because they do for the reasons Sym and I detailed above. But this is more than a bit undue.

Robtard
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Which, of course, ignores the valid discussion and debate that occurs in the comic forums about a valid and entertaining hobby.

I don't mind admitting that a lot of trolls come from the vs. forum, because they do for the reasons Sym and I detailed above. But this is more than a bit undue.

He's probably right though, regarding the bit about the Earth's density and it coming up in the Comic Vs forum; it was also funny, the way he worded it.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Robtard
He's probably right though, regarding the bit about the Earth's density and it coming up in the Comic Vs forum; it was also funny, the way he worded it.

It doesn't matter whether or not he was right (or funny, which I didn't think it was). It was an excuse to bash the forum unecessarily beyond the accurate observation made by Schecter.

Robtard
Everyone's a critic...

jaden101

feel free to bash any of my equally valid and entertaining hobbies

i just feel it entirely unneccessary to bring in arguments of physics into discussions about comic book characters to the degree i've seen (which i shall admit is limited) in the comic book forum

ask yourself...do you think the writers of the comics investigation every law of physics etc to ensure none were being broken by characters to the point of being impossible for the purpose that people dont argue about the plausability of their comics contents on internet forums?

of course...my post was more in agreement with schecter's 2nd part as opposed to the trolling....because i was unaware that the members he refers ambiguously to were from the comic book vs forum

Nod

i just feel it entirely unneccessary to bring in arguments of physics into discussions about comic book characters to the degree i've seen (which i shall admit is limited) in the comic book forum

ask yourself...do you think the writers of the comics investigation every law of physics etc to ensure none were being broken by characters to the point of being impossible for the purpose that people dont argue about the plausability of their comics contents on internet forums?

of course...my post was more in agreement with schecter's 2nd part as opposed to the trolling....because i was unaware that the members he refers ambiguously to were from the comic book vs forum Thats because you don't seem to read them.

Nice work speaking like you know what your talking about. thumb up

Zeal Ex Nihilo
What's Whirly's obsession with the fact that PVS posted on New Year's or Christmas or whatever? WHOA TOTALLY LAME. ****, I brought my laptop to my relatives' house because everyone is old and boring. Participated in a Christmas-day event on an MMORPG.

...Can I has a Intarwebs stalker?

Robtard
What's Whirly's obsession with the fact that PVS posted on New Year's or Christmas or whatever? WHOA TOTALLY LAME. ****, I brought my laptop to my relatives' house because everyone is old and boring. Participated in a Christmas-day event on an MMORPG.

...Can I has a Intarwebs stalker?

Let me guess... WoW?

Zeal Ex Nihilo
****, no. I should stab you for even suggesting such a thing.

dadudemon
i'm presuming it has something to do with some sad person trying to proof that some pointless character can destroy the earth by a magical ultra fart or some such shit

"Magical ultra fart" or "some such shit"? Wow...they have a monopoly on the best of topics. How is that NOT the best thing to talk about. I would love to be able to fart a crater into the ground without hurting my butthole...butt* to blow away and entire planet? eek! .......unimaginable.no expression

*tee hee embarrasment

Seriously, though, your point was well made...and using planet busting farts as an example definitely did not hurt your point. I have done my fair share of comic book debating....I am ashamed. sad

DigiMark007

of course...my post was more in agreement with schecter's 2nd part as opposed to the trolling....because i was unaware that the members he refers ambiguously to were from the comic book vs forum

That wasn't my point at all, nor do I care to respond to it. You're still singling out one debate (probably 1 post) and using it to generalize a forum. Right or wrong about this particular point doesn't matter...it's your larger intent that fails.

parenthesis
now, first off lets make clear that there is a sharp difference between trolling and a troll. trolling (v.) is simply the act of baiting for an argument. a troll (n.) is someone who attempts to disrupt and destroy all discussion in a forum, for whatever personal malfunctions. anyway, with that clarified, trolls seem to always follow the same pattern, and use the same tactics. ive always been fascinated with these individuals and what drives them, particulary their feeling of superiority and diabolical genius, when in fact they use the same tactics every time. it is my intention, with your help, to compile a comprehensive list of typical troll tactics.

very important: this is not a thread for calling out trolls. like the idiotic debating tactics thread, this is not intended for use in personal assaults.
just state your observations on constants and patterns in the methods by which trolls attempt to manipulate others. with your help this should be a great and informative discussion.

also,
its inevitable that trolls will feel called out by this thread and interfere with the hope of getting it closed. for the sake of this discussion, please ignore their silly 'fail' pics and all the other ebaumsworld hotlinks that they feel clever in posting.

so lets get the ball rolling:

a few that come to mind are:

-reversal of blame- harass and insult other members, and when someone replies in kind, play the victim. which of course leads to:

-abuse the 'report' function. self explanatory

-play 'Savior of the forums'.
they always do this and its a dead giveaway. whenever someone signs of claiming to want to bring peace to the forum, get ready for some trolling as they will attack contributing veterans and accuse them of killing discussion. one failed attempt after another to rally everyone behind them.

ok, anyone wish to contribute? Would lying about your political and religious opinions in a satiraical manner to cause an argument count as trolling?

jaden101
That wasn't my point at all, nor do I care to respond to it. You're still singling out one debate (probably 1 post) and using it to generalize a forum. Right or wrong about this particular point doesn't matter...it's your larger intent that fails.

please do tell me what my larger intent was...seeing as when i posted i had no alterior motive or intent...i was merely making an observation about what i see in that forum...and i used 1 example of many that i have seen...that one stuck in my mind as it happened the same day

clearly the only reason you're getting defensive about it though is that i've struck some kind of nerve and my basic point resonates truth

i don't read them and never pretended otherwise...but i do read MASSIVE amounts of other fiction...i can tell you with certainty that the majority of fiction writers dont research every aspect of their books to ensure things are correct to laws of nature

you rarely see people arguing the details of discrepancies in novels with such vehemency as comic book fans...which was my initial point...or rather my point was, why bother arguing?...it's fiction

jaden101
haha...that's gold...it gives the impression that you actually tried...

Robtard
God damn, I thought the OTF denizens were overprotective about the OTF forum... woe on the person who dare make a remark about the Comic Vs forum.

jaden101
woe me indeed...funny though

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Yes, it would.

DigiMark007
please do tell me what my larger intent was...seeing as when i posted i had no alterior motive or intent...i was merely making an observation about what i see in that forum...and i used 1 example of many that i have seen...that one stuck in my mind as it happened the same day

clearly the only reason you're getting defensive about it though is that i've struck some kind of nerve and my basic point resonates truth

Clearly. roll eyes (sarcastic)

The vs. forum takes a lot of undue flak because it's one of the busier forums and has a penchant for producing trolls. It can be as intelligent or fun as any other forum, but generally gets the crap end of the stick in debates on KMC because those things get overshadowed. So when I see it marginalized down to a fart joke intended to bash the forum, yes, I get a little defensive.

jaden101
Clearly. roll eyes (sarcastic)

The vs. forum takes a lot of undue flak because it's one of the busier forums and has a penchant for producing trolls. It can be as intelligent or fun as any other forum, but generally gets the crap end of the stick in debates on KMC because those things get overshadowed. So when I see it marginalized down to a fart joke intended to bash the forum, yes, I get a little defensive.

forgive me for my sense of humour

DigiMark007
And for some of the more involved debates, yes, physics can and does play a role, as comic book physics is obviously much different than our own but still exists, and many companies actually strive for some sense of continuity in the universe and characters to form a basis upon which discussions can happen.

jaden101
And for some of the more involved debates, yes, physics can and does play a role, as comic book physics is obviously much different than our own but still exists, and many companies actually strive for some sense of continuity in the universe and characters to form a basis upon which discussions can happen.

now the latter part i can understand...the only expanded form of a franchise i've delved into are starwars and the matrix and yes different writers use the basic principles of each to maintain continuity

what i dont understand is a cross writer/comic/character/universe debate where there is never any chance of a definitive answer...yet people still argue as if they are right and someone else is wrong

DigiMark007
forgive me for my sense of humour

It's possible to be humorous without being insulting.

erm

DigiMark007
now the latter part i can understand...the only expanded form of a franchise i've delved into are starwars and the matrix and yes different writers use the basic principles of each to maintain continuity

what i dont understand is a cross writer/comic/character/universe debate where there is never any chance of a definitive answer...yet people still argue as if they are right and someone else is wrong

A lack of absolute certainty with a particular universe doesn't instantly invalidate any rationalizations in battles. Logical conclusions can be reached for the vast majority of battles.

And most posters realize the limitations of the genre, and also that individual writers and stories can alter a character's power level. That's why there are specific guidelines in the forum rules, and many unspoken understandings of how to approach debate among fans, that the regular members of the comic forums understand and adhere to. It's just the trolls that give them a bad name.

jaden101
A lack of absolute certainty with a particular universe doesn't instantly invalidate any rationalizations in battles. Logical conclusions can be reached for the vast majority of battles.

And most posters realize the limitations of the genre, and also that individual writers and stories can alter a character's power level. That's why there are specific guidelines in the forum rules, and many unspoken understandings of how to approach debate among fans, that the regular members of the comic forums understand and adhere to. It's just the trolls that give them a bad name.

the empty can rattles the most then? (in relation to your last line)

i'm not even going to pretend that i've read the rules but i'm guessing its something along the lines of "dont bother posting batman vs galactus cause if you do it'll be pointless and get closed"

have fun with your debates but alas i wont be joining you as my interest in comics doesn't really stretch all that far beyond this debate

Gokurules

I am sorry, but, I am new. I think comics are silly and nowhere near as logical as manga. The Physics in comics doesn't seem to cut it in the same way as the concept of Chi. I take your point about power levels, it would be silly to put a Namek against a SSJ5, which, of course is beyond the infinite. I would love to debate this with you sometime.

-Goku Rules!

Robtard

Dude, you're debating which FICTIONAL character can beat another FICTIONAL character; considering the writers of those characters can do whatever they like and do not have to adhere to any rules* (because they make the rules as they go), there isn't much room for "logical debate." I'm not saying you're dumb for doign so and by all means have your fun, but let's keep it real.

*Wolverine couldn't kill Superman, that is until some writer, writes in Wolverine's adamantium claws have kryptonite-like properties in some amalgamated comic-universe.

Gokurules
Dude, you're debating which FICTIONAL character can beat another FICTIONAL character; considering the writers of those characters can do whatever they like and do not have to adhere to any rules* (because they make the rules as they go), there isn't much room for "logical debate." I'm not saying you're dumb for doign so and by all means have your fun, but let's keep it real.

*Wolverine couldn't kill Superman, that is until some writer, writes in Wolverine's adamantium claws have kryptonite-like properties in some amalgamated comic-universe.

Yes, yes, but, Goku would beat Superman.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Originally posted by Gokurules
I am sorry, but, I am new. I think comics are silly and nowhere near as logical as manga. The Physics in comics doesn't seem to cut it in the same way as the concept of Chi. I take your point about power levels, it would be silly to put a Namek against a SSJ5, which, of course is beyond the infinite. I would love to debate this with you sometime.

-Goku Rules!
Bahahahaha, troll.

Gokurules
Bahahahaha, troll.

Goku, is not a troll. He is a giant monkey in the full moon.

DigiMark007

See, I don't do it. The only thing that kept me there for years is that I was mod of it (I no longer am). But I also realize that it's a valid endeavor, and very interesting for many people, so I refrain from saying obvious things like "Dude! They're FICTIONAL!!!11lol1!!"

Robtard
See, I don't do it. The only thing that kept me there for years is that I was mod of it (I no longer am). But I also realize that it's a valid endeavor, and very interesting for many people, so I refrain from saying obvious things like "Dude! They're FICTIONAL!!!11lol1!!"

I wasn't specifically singling you out, more-so just saying "I think it's fine if people do."

But I think you missed my point in reagrds to "logical debating" and the comic forums.

Gokurules

So, you don't do v debates? What is a tounament? I saw it at the top of your forum.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Gokurules
So, you don't do v debates? What is a tounament? I saw it at the top of your forum.

It's no longer my forum. I only mod the other comic sections.

And I've entered tourneys from time to time, but they're separate from vs. debates and far more structured. Normally I prefer to judge them rather than enter though...too much time and effort involved. The current one is actually being held on another site and is just being organized through KMC.

...also just realized this guy's a sock, so I needn't have bothered to respond in the first place.

Gokurules
It's no longer my forum. I only mod the other comic sections.

And I've entered tourneys from time to time, but they're separate from vs. debates and far more structured. Normally I prefer to judge them rather than enter though...too much time and effort involved. The current one is actually being held on another site and is just being organized through KMC.

In what way are they more structured? What is the judging criteria? Are they hero against hero? When was the last one you entered?

Gokurules

...also just realized this guy's a sock, so I needn't have bothered to respond in the first place.

What?

Bardock42

Well, socks can make reasonable points.

BackFire
Like Germans?

Bardock42
Like Germans? Yeah.

BackFire
0 for 2, well done.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Bardock42
Well, socks can make reasonable points.

Granted. But my reason for not responding to them is that they have already lost the privilege of using the forums, and are in violation of forum rules just by being on. No point should ever be responded to imo, regardless of its validity.

Bardock42
Granted. But my reason for not responding to them is that they have already lost the privilege of using the forums, and are in violation of forum rules just by being on. No point should ever be responded to imo, regardless of its validity.

Well, we differ there. I don't even know what the original might have done and I don't really care, if they make good points it shouldn't matter anyways.

BackFire
Don't feed the trolls, is all.

Bardock42
Don't feed the trolls, is all.

I don't think participating in reasonable debate is feeding the trolls.

BackFire
Any sock posting becomes trolling.

Bardock42
Any sock posting becomes trolling. I suppose that is a matter of definition. Disregarding a post of a sock because he or she chose to sock is ad hominem though. I like my debates logical and fair, regardless of who makes the point. Meaning, I'd reply to a well thought out post from someone I am pretty sure of is a troll for the sake of proper debating, I think it is necessary to ban them though for breaking the rules. Well, in some cases I guess.

BackFire
It's not ad hominem because no one is saying that what he's saying is actually false or wrong, simply that he has lost the right to post here, so he should not be responded to. If someone did indeed claim the guy to be wrong because he's a sock, then you'd be correct, which may have happened, I suppose, but not that I've seen.

Just like during a formal debate, if someone stands up in the audience and starts yelling out an argument. No matter if it's good or not, he's not earned the right to participate in that particular argument, so what he says will be ignored by those who have.

Bardock42
It's not ad hominem because no one is saying that what he's saying is actually false or wrong, simply that he has lost the right to post here, so he should not be responded to. If someone did indeed claim the guy to be wrong because he's a sock, then you'd be correct, which may have happened, I suppose, but not that I've seen.

Just like during a formal debate, if someone stands up in the audience and starts yelling out an argument. No matter if it's good or not, he's not earned the right to participate in that particular argument, so what he says will be ignored by those who have.

Wouldn't it be the person that is addressed decision whether they want to reply or not? Or are you making a rule that says don't reply to people you think are socks, if so, I'd like to know, I think I talk to trolls a lot sad

BackFire
Nah, no rule, you can if you want, I don't care. Just engaging in a discussion with you, because you won't put out right now.

Bardock42
Nah, no rule, you can if you want, I don't care. Just engaging in a discussion with you, because you won't put out right now.

Who said I won't put out? Is that skank PVS saying that filth about me?

BackFire
AC said it.

Bardock42
AC said it.

Oh yeah? OH YEAH? He doesn't take it in the ass anymore, you knew that?

BackFire
He does for me.

I force him.

VVD helps.

Bardock42
Why does this always happen with you?

BackFire
What?

Bardock42
What?

The....sick stuff.

BackFire
Jealous?

Bardock42
Jealous? Curious.

BackFire
You can buy the dvd like everyone else.

Bardock42
You can buy the dvd like everyone else. I could. I could also just ask though.

Alfheim
An overuse of the smiley face emoticon. laughing out loud

deathbucket
Don't trolls have really crappy avatars, like skeletons with sunglasses?

wait a minute...

Bardock42
Originally posted by deathbucket
Don't trolls have really crappy avatars, like skeletons with sunglasses?

wait a minute... Nope. They never do.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>