A Question about Hispanics

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ozone
Why is it that Puerto Ricans get so offended if someone calls them a Mexican?

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Ozone

maybe because there not Mexican? confused

dadudemon

That's a good question.

I used to get offended when people would call me Mexican because I am Italian and proud of it. That was before highschool. Now, I wouldn't be offended to be called Mexican. Hell, my wife is half Mexican. (Her mamma is full blood...born in Mexico.)

So back to the question, why do Puerto Ricans get offended when they are mistook for Mexicans? It isn't a big deal at all.

KidRock
Ah. Well then I guess the big mystery is, who gathered all those remarkably different cultures together and taught them all how to park their cars on their lawns?

ragesRemorse
i know people whom get offended when they are offered pepsi instead of coke. People just get offended

Creshosk
Why is it that Puerto Ricans get so offended if someone calls them a Mexican? Appearently whoever does thinks its shameful to be a Mexican.

chillmeistergen
Because they value their own culture and feel it to be insulting that it's grouped in with another, because of some similarities.

Rogue Jedi
the correct insult for a Puerto Rican would be "spic."

dadudemon
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
the correct insult for a Puerto Rican would be "spic."

Really? Explain that because Carlos Mencia uses that for any Latino.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by dadudemon
Really? Explain that because Carlos Mencia uses that for any Latino. it an be used for any hispanic. but you cant very well call a colombian or cuban a mexican, nor a puerto rican, can you?

dadudemon
it an be used for any hispanic. but you cant very well call a colombian or cuban a mexican, nor a puerto rican, can you?

Sooo....how does that explain why you say that Spic is used for Puerto Ricans?

Let me give you an example of what I am looking for:

Cracker is a term used to describe white people because they are slave drivers cracking a whip...hence "cracker".

Do you see what I mean now?

I found what I was looking for. It is a shortened term for the word Hispanic. In the same vein of calling a Japanese person a "Jap". Though they are not really offensive words by their definitions, it is the intention of the use of those words that makes them offensive.

Rogue Jedi
Sooo....how does that explain why you say that Spic is used for Puerto Ricans?

Let me give you an example of what I am looking for:

Cracker is a term used to describe white people because they are slave drivers cracking a whip...hence "cracker".

Do you see what I mean now?

I found what I was looking for. It is a shortened term for the word Hispanic. In the same vein of calling a Japanese person a "Jap". Though they are not really offensive words by their definitions, it is the intention of the use of those words that makes them offensive. well, I am not an expert, I try not to use the words.

I am just going on what I catch here and there.

cracker. laughing

dadudemon
well, I am not an expert, I try not to use the words.

I am just going on what I catch here and there.

cracker. laughing

big grin

wait wait wait...I mean.. mad

Adam_PoE

Because Puerto Rico is a completely different country, you moron.

spidey-dude
Why is it that Puerto Ricans get so offended if someone calls them a Mexican? they dont like eachother verry much

Quiero Mota
Really? Explain that because Carlos Mencia uses that for any Latino.

Because it is.

Mencia often calls himself Mexican. Reason being: no one cares about Honduras.

Rogue Jedi
so what would be slang for a Honduran?

Bicnarok

Rogue Jedi
people called me John all the time in school. how dare they.

botankus
I know a chick from Honduras. If you call her a Mexican she'll b!tch slap you.

Rogue Jedi
never call a born and bred Mexican woman a *****. NEVER.

Afro Cheese
Definetly dont call a colombian girl honduran.. there's really no reason to it besides self-preservation.

WrathfulDwarf

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
maybe because there not Mexican? confused

JacopeX
Why is it that Puerto Ricans get so offended if someone calls them a Mexican? Go ask them.

That is just how they are when they are called something they aren't. You can call them Dominican and they would be offended anyway.

Don't know why though. I don't like it when people say I look like i'm from this country, or the other. IM PERUVIAN DAMN IT! stick out tongue

But I still wonder why I get upset.

Robtard
Originally posted by JacopeX
Go ask them.

That is just how they are when they are called something they aren't. You can call them Dominican and they would be offended anyway.

Don't know why though. I don't like it when people say I look like i'm from this country, or the other. IM PERUVIAN DAMN IT! stick out tongue

But I still wonder why I get upset.

STFU, you Guatemalan.

Devil King
I had a Guatemalan tailor, once. He was really good.

Robtard
Originally posted by Devil King
I had a Guatemalan tailor, once. He was really good.

Did he cup your "boys" when he measured your inseam?

Devil King
No, but everyone thought it was funny that he pronounced my name daybees

meep-meep
Originally posted by KidRock
Ah. Well then I guess the big mystery is, who gathered all those remarkably different cultures together and taught them all how to park their cars on their lawns?

Good-one oh master of over genralisations. However, it's not without merit. Though, for some reason, or maybe it's just ignorance, you fail to mention that white trash have been doing the same sh*t for just as long.

meep-meep
Originally posted by Creshosk
Appearently whoever does thinks its shameful to be a Mexican.

Or that their proud to be Puerto Rican, and expect people to know the difference.

dadudemon
Originally posted by meep-meep
Or that their proud to be Puerto Rican, and expect people to know the difference.

That they are proud to be Puerto Rican? Well...If I grew a mustache and went tanning, I am very sure people would call me Mexicans/Hispanic despite the fact that I am Italian.

Also, there is this guy that works in the gym where I work out and he is from Mexico. However, he looks just like Saddam Hussein...so, in the same light, I can see a person confusing an Arab person for an Hispanic person...they only way you could know the difference sometimes is to listen to their accent.

What if they don't have an accent?
The best way is always to ask but that isn't always an option.

How do people end up in a situation of calling Hispanics, Mexicans when they should be called Puerto Rican?..and the same goes for all other Latino peoples. Why are people getting stuck in those situations? Use tact. I don't recall ending up in a situation of calling a person by their wrong nationality...it just doesn't happen in conversations I have had.

Bardock42
never call a born and bred Mexican woman a *****. NEVER. That a fact now, issit?

meep-meep
That they are proud to be Puerto Rican? Well...If I grew a mustache and went tanning, I am very sure people would call me Mexicans/Hispanic despite the fact that I am Italian.

Also, there is this guy that works in the gym where I work out and he is from Mexico. However, he looks just like Saddam Hussein...so, in the same light, I can see a person confusing an Arab person for an Hispanic person...they only way you could know the difference sometimes is to listen to their accent.

What if they don't have an accent?
The best way is always to ask but that isn't always an option.

How do people end up in a situation of calling Hispanics, Mexicans when they should be called Puerto Rican?..and the same goes for all other Latino peoples. Why are people getting stuck in those situations? Use tact. I don't recall ending up in a situation of calling a person by their wrong nationality...it just doesn't happen in conversations I have had.

You know what? You have a good point. I should have thought of that before. I have numerous latino friends, and this one guy, sefe, looks like someone from the Middle East but sure enough he's from Mexico.

You got the part about using tact right too. All it takes is a friendly demeanor and a few genuinely inquisitive queestions and I don't think too many people would be upset about a question regarding their culture.

Thanks for poi9nting that out mon.

Robtard
never call a born and bred Mexican woman a *****. NEVER.

Is your 5 letter word W-H-O-R-E? Because, most women do not like being called that, regardless of being Mexican, or not.

(If not, which word?)

Devil King
I thought it was b*tch

Robtard
I thought it was b*tch

I see... still stands though, as most women do not like being called "bitches".

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Robtard
I see... still stands though, as most women do not like being called "bitches".

They don't like to be call bitches...but they sure act like one....(oohhh no he didn't go there...)

chillmeistergen
How about you don't pay attention to their culture at all, while talking to them. Treat them as an individual, not an ambassador for a certain culture or country.

dadudemon
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
How about you don't pay attention to their culture at all, while talking to them. Treat them as an individual, not an ambassador for a certain culture or country.

To treat them like an individual would be to recognize their nationality. This may seem crazy but in America, our differences are what make us different...nationality is one of those differences. Some people are proud of where they come from.To overlook their nationality would be rude in some circumstances.

chillmeistergen
To treat them like an individual would be to recognize their nationality. This may seem crazy but in America, our differences are what make us different...nationality is one of those differences. Some people are proud of where they came from.To overlook their nationality would be rude in some circumstances.

Of course it would, it is rude. But it is just as rude, to assume they are from a certain place. Perhaps the polite thing to do, would be to ask; if you're interested.

dadudemon
Perhaps the polite thing to do, would be to ask; if you're interested.

Now why does that sound familiar...hmmm... big grin

SelphieT

I'm Salvadoran, and I have to admit I, from time to time, get aggravated when someone calls me Mexican when I tell them I'm Hispanic.

I don't have a problem with Mexicans, hell, my best friend is pure Mexican. The problem I have is how uneducated people are with the Hispanic community. Not everyone that is Hispanic is from Mexico. I just don't understand why some people think Mexico is the only place where people who speak Spanish are from. shrug

SpaceMonkey
Originally posted by SelphieT
I'm Salvadoran, and I have to admit I, from time to time, get aggravated when someone calls me Mexican when I tell them I'm Hispanic.

I don't have a problem with Mexicans, hell, my best friend is pure Mexican. The problem I have is how uneducated people are with the Hispanic community. Not everyone that is Hispanic is from Mexico. I just don't understand why some people think Mexico is the only place where people who speak Spanish are from. shrug

SelphieT, I agree with you, especially since I am also Salvadorean. I do, however, have an issue with being called Mexican. Simply because my friends do it maliciously, they WANT to offend me by calling me Mexican.

SelphieT
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
SelphieT, I agree with you, especially since I am also Salvadorean. I do, however, have an issue with being called Mexican. Simply because my friends do it maliciously, they WANT to offend me by calling me Mexican.

Are you sure they are your friends? laughing out loud

They're probably just joking, hopefully.

SpaceMonkey
They are... but they're evillllllll!!!!!!!!!!

dadudemon
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey

Well...if they are doing it on purpose...then its funny and you got pwnt. After they call you Mexican, they need to finish up the phrase with a nice "suck it" or something. no expression

I can haz cheezburger now?

Afro Cheese
Originally posted by meep-meep
You got the part about using tact right too. All it takes is a friendly demeanor and a few genuinely inquisitive queestions and I don't think too many people would be upset about a question regarding their culture. True. Another good way to tell the exact nationality of a hispanic is to look at their bookbag and see which flag the baby on the back of it is dressed in.

Quiero Mota

Mexicans like having our culture referenced, actually.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Bardock42
That a fact now, issit? that is INDEED a fact. it's a terrible insult to them, probably the worst thing you can call them.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Quiero Mota

I wasn't talking about Mexicans, that's sort of the point.

ragesRemorse
hey, wetbacks work real good, hey some family values and principles go a long way Its dem damn dirty ******* we have to look out for. with a watermelon smile they will decive you.O'h wait!, here comes the honkeys run run run oh man, dem honkey hicks is hard to beat off, but dis here Bible is gonna banish those white devils back to the pit they came from. HOLY Shit here come the Chinkinese

wait wait what race am I ?

SelphieT
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
True. Another good way to tell the exact nationality of a hispanic is to look at their bookbag and see which flag the baby on the back of it is dressed in.

I don't know about that...

But I have to admit I have been looking for a flag of El Salvador to patch on my messanger bag.

Robtard

But I have to admit I have been looking for a flag of El Salvador to patch on my messanger bag.

http://www.stickergiant.com/page/sg/PROD/southamerica/u8552

For the whopping low price of $2.99 (plus tax and shipping)

dadudemon
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
hey, wetbacks work real good, hey some family values and principles go a long way Its dem damn dirty ******* we have to look out for. with a watermelon smile they will decive you.O'h wait!, here comes the honkeys run run run oh man, dem honkey hicks is hard to beat off, but dis here Bible is gonna banish those white devils back to the pit they came from. HOLY Shit here come the Chinkinese

wait wait what race am I ?

reported. mad mad

jk

Devil King

Why?

Robtard
Why?

No shit, what do they have to be proud of anyways? They beat the French, big eff'ing deal.

Quiero Mota
No shit, what do they have to be proud of anyways? They beat the French, big eff'ing deal.

I assume you're talkng about national pride.

But when it comes to culture, we're a proud people. Just like Blacks and Native Americans.

Robtard
I assume you're talkng about national pride.

But when it comes to culture, we're a proud people. Just like Blacks and Native Americans.

Just busting your (Mexican) balls is all.

Quiero Mota
Good. sombrero2

Robtard
Good. sombrero2

Holy shit... a Mexican smilie, that's a first for me. I've seen the Asian ones. Are there any "black" smilies? The afro one doesn't count, as it's still yellew and not only "blacks" have afros. Could this be what FoTN has been ranting about the whole time.

Avlon
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Because Puerto Rico is a completely different country.

thumb up

Quiero Mota
The afro one doesn't count, as it's still yellew and not only "blacks" have afros.

So? The Mexican smilie is still yellow.

And I would say that the afro one is Black. I mean look at the fro itself...it isn't a Jewfro.

Robtard
So? The Mexican smilie is still yellow.

And I would say that the afro one is Black. I mean look at the fro itself...it isn't a Jewfro.

True... but who else combones a Sanchez-like mustache and a sombero?

Oh no, I've seen some Jews with a fro that put Franklyn Ajaye in Car Wash (1976) to shame.

SelphieT
http://www.stickergiant.com/page/sg/PROD/southamerica/u8552

For the whopping low price of $2.99 (plus tax and shipping)

Talk about convenient.

MightyEInherjar

Heh, if I see a group of guys walking around wearing those patches on their clothes, I'm not asking them anything...I'm getting the hell out of there.

Too many MS13 showing up where I live lately.

Robtard
Talk about convenient.

Yeah... but now you're in my debt, you owe me.

SelphieT
Yeah... but now you're in my debt, you owe me.

I have no money for you. sad

Originally posted by MightyEInherjar
Heh, if I see a group of guys walking around wearing those patches on their clothes, I'm not asking them anything...I'm getting the hell out of there.

Too many MS13 showing up where I live lately.

MS13... Yeah, you don't wanna mess with them.

Robtard
I have no money for you. sad

Money? Who said anything about money....

InnerRise
Why is it that Puerto Ricans get so offended if someone calls them a Mexican? B/c being a Mexican carries with it a whole bunch of Negative Connotations.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by InnerRise
B/c being a Mexican carries with it a whole bunch of Negative Connotations.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Yeah that's true, unfortunately. We have a lot of expectations to battle both in academia and in the professional world.

"Puerto Ricans are the luckiest Hispanics, you know why? Because they're already American."

-Paul Rodriguez

^And I'm sure that has something to with the thread's opening question.

SelphieT
Money? Who said anything about money....

Hispanic luvin? flirt

Robtard
Hispanic luvin? flirt

Si, por favor.

SpearofDestiny

Two Reasons:

1) They assume they are all being categorized as Mexican, and they imagine that the American, or person of another nationality, is clumping all Hispanics together as being from one antagonized nation.

2) However, since Puerto Ricans wouldn't get nearly as offended being mistaken for Colombian, Dominican, or Argentinian, it's more likely for the second reason. Many and most Hispanics are prejudice towards Mexicans, seeing Mexicans as the "lowest" of who they are.

I don't know exactly why, but usually Hispanics who look "whiter" than other Hispanics feel superior. It's because of the American/European standard, Hispanics have adopted it too.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.