If you could choose to forget....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

~Forever*Alone~
if there was the option, like in "eternal sunshine of the spotless mind", to forget certain people or perhaps events in your life, absolutely completely erase the evidence of them ever having existed or happened, would you? would it be better to remember possibly painful memories or failed relationships? is it truly our memories and experiences that make us what we are?

personally, there are a lot of things i would choose to forget...

DigiMark007
I'd choose the most random thing, like the cultural knowledge that you lower the pot to take a poop, and raise it to pee. It would be a practical joke on myself that I'd never realize....but until the memory wipe, I'd laugh my ass off.

leonheartmm
that is a terrible idea. it may seem trivial but it isnt. your memories define who YOU ARE. the very core of you. forgetting sumthing permanently=death of the person you were. consider an extreme example, what if the same machine cud wipe out ALL your memories and expiriences. as far as conciousness is concerned, you would lose all that you were and become a newborn. in almost every psychological sense of the word. losing memories is a pretty terrible thing. its sorta like asking{in the most extreme cases} whether a person wud like to live in a painful life or kill themselves.

SelphieT
There's a lot of things I'd like to forget, but the thing is, all those bad things make you stronger, it is so true.

You are the way you are for a reason, because you've gone through so many things. I'm not going to go on listing things I've been through, but without all those unfortunate things, I'd probably be some ungrateful, terrible person. I'd rather keep my bad memories.

Storm
I wouldn' t be where I am today, if it weren' t for the people I' ve met and the situations I encountered. Experiencing these things certainly built my current character. It' s the twists and turns, and the bumps and bruises that have molded me into the person I am today. I value my experiences for the life lessons they offer.

Take any of those out of the equation, and I' d be a different person. I don' t want to be another person, I like my person.

Mindship
Forget forgetting. I wish I could remember more.

~Forever*Alone~
I dont have a memory to begin with actually, and the things i remember are short and incomplete but they had at least a large enough impact to be remembered. sometimes i wish i could forget it all.

DigiMark007
Originally posted by ~Forever*Alone~
I dont have a memory to begin with actually, and the things i remember are short and incomplete but they had at least a large enough impact to be remembered. sometimes i wish i could forget it all.

Sounds kinda fatalistic. Don't um...kill yourself or anything....hehe.

ermm

~Forever*Alone~
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Sounds kinda fatalistic. Don't um...kill yourself or anything....hehe.

ermm

no im not emo or anything, although i know sometimes i seem to come across that way even though i dont see it myself.....

but i just wish that the things that have affected me to be such a.... ***** of a person could have been different.

debbiejo
But all my experiences have made what I am today. Sometimes painful experiences make you stronger in character. You can accomplish more, become more than you were before.

Rogue Jedi
there is only one experience I would forget, a certain someone. erase them from my memory.

Bardock42
Originally posted by leonheartmm
that is a terrible idea. it may seem trivial but it isnt. your memories define who YOU ARE. the very core of you. forgetting sumthing permanently=death of the person you were. consider an extreme example, what if the same machine cud wipe out ALL your memories and expiriences. as far as conciousness is concerned, you would lose all that you were and become a newborn. in almost every psychological sense of the word. losing memories is a pretty terrible thing. its sorta like asking{in the most extreme cases} whether a person wud like to live in a painful life or kill themselves. God, you talk like you have it all figured out, but then spout the most naive and basic idiocy.

leonheartmm
huh? what is so idiotic about what i said? and anyway, when did i claim that i had it all figured out? im just smart{probably} enough to understand that i DONT have it al figured out by a long shot.

Bardock42
huh? what is so idiotic about what i said? and anyway, when did i claim that i had it all figured out? im just smart{probably} enough to understand that i DONT have it al figured out by a long shot. You aren't very smart.

But that's beside the point. You talk in very convinced terms.

I mean, let me ask you this, do you have all that has happened to you in your memories? Really?

inimalist
Originally posted by Bardock42
I mean, let me ask you this, do you have all that has happened to you in your memories? Really?

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM???

wink

DigiMark007
True true...

I'd love to see a statistical correlation between memory and actual events, though it would be an insanely hard test to run objectively and thoroughly enough to be significant.

In any case, I'm pretty sure Bardock's referring to the utter fallibility of our memories, and how we forget and/or change many more details about our pasts than we likely realize.

...though what is an amusing anecdote here in the forums turns serious when you realize that DNA evidence is routinely dismissed in court cases because the defendant can usually create considerable confusion and doubt in the jury's minds (largely due to a lack of public information concerning such things) when it is far more accurate than personal testimony, which is held in high regard.

KingTech
I would like to forget the memories of my past love.I was deeply in love with a girl and she too.But I don't know what causes her to leave me alone in this cruel world.Though she has gone but I am still feeling the pains of my past love.

Toku King
Originally posted by KingTech
I would like to forget the memories of my past love.I was deeply in love with a girl and she too.But I don't know what causes her to leave me alone in this cruel world.Though she has gone but I am still feeling the pains of my past love.

That's deep. *cries* You are a hero to us all, Brad Chase!

Bardock42
I heard a rather interesting question a while ago.

Imagine you need surgery of sorts.

The doctor comes to you and tell you that they could do it the old fashioned way, you get an anesthesia wake up afterwards, but it is riskier then the new method. He also offers you the new method, you don't get any anesthesia, will feel the full pain of the surgery but get a pill afterwards to forget it forever.

Which would you take?

I think the second is to most people much more terrifying, though the outcome would be the same. And I don't think that is because one is afraid of the pain, but because many people believe losing your memory like that would make you a fully different person. It would kill you, so to speak. thoughts?

lord xyz
I'd choose to forget. Memories can take over your life. And what's the point in remembering? And what's so bad about changing who you are?

dadudemon
that is a terrible idea. it may seem trivial but it isnt. your memories define who YOU ARE. the very core of you. forgetting sumthing permanently=death of the person you were. consider an extreme example, what if the same machine cud wipe out ALL your memories and expiriences. as far as conciousness is concerned, you would lose all that you were and become a newborn. in almost every psychological sense of the word. losing memories is a pretty terrible thing. its sorta like asking{in the most extreme cases} whether a person wud like to live in a painful life or kill themselves.
yes but......wouldn't you like to forget having seen star wars and THEN watch it over again? Do you remember that first time you saw one of those movies how awesome they were?!!!?!?!?

I have actually day dreamed about forgetting those movies and then watching them again.

What about the memory of what sex is like? It would be like being a virgin all over again!!!! It would be so awesome!

There are many many things that one would love to forget to make live so fun again...don't be a party pooping mcpoopy pants.

debbiejo
Great words I have heard and do apply it. get over it

Gezz, you must, otherwise it will incompass you....over take you, encompass you...take you down..make you feel unworthy, which is just crap.......tell you that you don't count..your opinions mean nothing.AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.........IT'S NOT TRUE!......DO IT, just be YOU!!!!!!!.

Bardock42
Originally posted by debbiejo
Great words I have heard and do apply it. get over it

Gezz, you must, otherwise it will incompass you....over take you, encompass you...take you down..make you feel unworthy, which is just crap.......tell you that you don't count..your opinions mean nothing.AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.........IT'S NOT TRUE!......DO IT, just be YOU!!!!!!!. STFU & GTFO, plz.

leonheartmm
You aren't very smart.

But that's beside the point. You talk in very convinced terms.

no, only those things which meants sumthing to me. and many random things. my general expirience of the world, in short, the things which "i" percieved at a concious level and were found significant enough to not be filtered out by basic cognitive processes{i.e. short term memory/visual/audial/sensory record}. later on, new expiriences were added which changed the person i was, and due to it sum of the old expiriences got hazier and lost their significance and their memories were distorted. it was however a semi concious process, where i myself was, atleast partially, responsible for changing or forgetting those memories or classifying them as insignificant. therefore, i "chose" to change and forget the person i was.

it is transition, {and it is truly debateable whethere the initial record of a memory ever really vanishes from your brain. other than in brain injury}, not death. however, if unwillingly{or even willingly}, a majority of the "significant" memories of mine were wiped out, than "i" as a person would sieze to be, and become sum1 else. the important point here i think is that as a whole, the person you are doesnt completely exist at one point in time, it is spread out over a period{even you sense of BEING , conciousness etc etc} , if small edits in memory are made which still leave the whole intact over time, then the person u are doesnt really "die"{so to speak}.

think of it as a vintage car, over 50 years, you manage to change every physical component as it ages. however, it is done gradually, in the end its still the same car. however, if you take away over 90% of the physical components in one go and replace them, you cant really call it the same car can you?

you dont have to remember every single thing all the time to be "you", that is u oversimplifying the problem. its just a lil hard to explain.

lol, i suppose i seem too sure of myself again, n i admit it. its just the way i feal about the problem at hand big grin .

Bardock42
no, only those things which meants sumthing to me. and many random things. my general expirience of the world, in short, the things which "i" percieved at a concious level and were found significant enough to not be filtered out by basic cognitive processes{i.e. short term memory/visual/audial/sensory record}. later on, new expiriences were added which changed the person i was, and due to it sum of the old expiriences got hazier and lost their significance and their memories were distorted. it was however a semi concious process, where i myself was, atleast partially, responsible for changing or forgetting those memories or classifying them as insignificant. therefore, i "chose" to change and forget the person i was.

it is transition, {and it is truly debateable whethere the initial record of a memory ever really vanishes from your brain. other than in brain injury}, not death. however, if unwillingly{or even willingly}, a majority of the "significant" memories of mine were wiped out, than "i" as a person would sieze to be, and become sum1 else. the important point here i think is that as a whole, the person you are doesnt completely exist at one point in time, it is spread out over a period{even you sense of BEING , conciousness etc etc} , if small edits in memory are made which still leave the whole intact over time, then the person u are doesnt really "die"{so to speak}.

think of it as a vintage car, over 50 years, you manage to change every physical component as it ages. however, it is done gradually, in the end its still the same car. however, if you take away over 90% of the physical components in one go and replace them, you cant really call it the same car can you?

you dont have to remember every single thing all the time to be "you", that is u oversimplifying the problem. its just a lil hard to explain.

lol, i suppose i seem too sure of myself again, n i admit it. its just the way i feal about the problem at hand big grin . No, I think I do understand what you mean. I thought so to at one point. Recently I feel that the concept of "I" is very vague though, I forget stuff all the time. I don't have any real connection to the person "I" have been 13 years ago It is just very complicated and to me it seems that forgetting something forever might not kill "me" in a sense, I might still be what I am....especially since I forget things all the time, yet, I still think that "I" am "me".

leonheartmm
but again, u are describing gradual change. it is true that i am not the person i was 13 years ago. but from the point of view of the person i am "now", iam still alive. it was gradual change. however, what i was referring to was losing the memories of "who i am NOW" , suddenly, or in a short enough time for your SELF to be unable to make transition. so really, "YOU"{as u are now in the present} sieze to be and become sum1 completely different. and that sum1 also can not OWN the change because your conciounce was not an active part/expiriencer/driving force in the change, simply because a major chunk of it was cut uff and replaced very suddenly.

Bardock42
but again, u are describing gradual change. it is true that i am not the person i was 13 years ago. but from the point of view of the person i am "now", iam still alive. it was gradual change. however, what i was referring to was losing the memories of "who i am NOW" , suddenly, or in a short enough time for your SELF to be unable to make transition. so really, "YOU"{as u are now in the present} sieze to be and become sum1 completely different. and that sum1 also can not OWN the change because your conciounce was not an active part/expiriencer/driving force in the change, simply because a major chunk of it was cut uff and replaced very suddenly.

And I am saying I wouldn't be too sure that this sudden change would destroy your sense of "you". It is a theory, one might interview people with amnesia to get a clearer picture.

SpearofDestiny
droolio

Adam_PoE

~Forever*Alone~
ah, sweet memories....

debbiejo
STFU & GTFO, plz. Someone need a hug??

leonheartmm
And I am saying I wouldn't be too sure that this sudden change would destroy your sense of "you". It is a theory, one might interview people with amnesia to get a clearer picture.

wudnt work. they wudnt remember who they "WERE" to begin with. theyd just be who they are in the "present", which seems to them, to be the only true self.

leonheartmm
oh, n be nice to debbie mad

n i HATE star wars.

ragesRemorse
if there was the option, like in "eternal sunshine of the spotless mind", to forget certain people or perhaps events in your life, absolutely completely erase the evidence of them ever having existed or happened, would you? would it be better to remember possibly painful memories or failed relationships? is it truly our memories and experiences that make us what we are?

Id memory wipe all the fat chicks i fvcked sad sick

debbiejo
oh, n be nice to debbie mad

flowers

leonheartmm
Originally posted by debbiejo
flowers

awwww love . {k ill stop before people start thinking im a girl big grin }

travesty87
I think in the long run there has 2 be some higher purpose or the other to every little thing that we experience n we prob don see it but it exists...erasin it from our memory will prob be messin wit the system somehow

Jbill311

n i HATE star wars.
jawdrop THE ANTICHRIST

Cornlady

There is nothing, good or bad that I want to forget, if I remember the mistakes I made in my life, then I will learn not to make them again.

Peace,
Amanda

chithappens
Wow this is funny this came up because I actually read a very interesting philosophical argument by the Joker in a Batman book called "The Killing Joke."

I don't want to ruin any plot elements for anyone because it is a brilliant book worth anyone's time.

At one point he says "Memories can be vile, repulsive little brutes like children..." He later mentions that any person can snap and lose their sanity (and he sets up someone to lose their to prove his point) over one bad day, so look at him like he is so weird. This is further reiteriated when he mocks Batman for dressing up like a "flying rat" LOL.

Check it out. It really delves into this subject.

Deja~vu
Sad moments would be a good one to forget. But you have to remember them to know what the great moments are, otherwise there is no contrast and no real joy.

The Grey Fox

I'd forget the story to Brazil, Fight Club, Memento, Donnie Darko, and Leon, so I could see them again for the first time.

Deja~vu
There are more things that I would like to remember.

Cornlady
Originally posted by chithappens
Wow this is funny this came up because I actually read a very interesting philosophical argument by the Joker in a Batman book called "The Killing Joke."

I don't want to ruin any plot elements for anyone because it is a brilliant book worth anyone's time.

At one point he says "Memories can be vile, repulsive little brutes like children..." He later mentions that any person can snap and lose their sanity (and he sets up someone to lose their to prove his point) over one bad day, so look at him like he is so weird. This is further reiteriated when he mocks Batman for dressing up like a "flying rat" LOL.

Check it out. It really delves into this subject.

May I have to look it up, since I like to read.

Peace,
Amanda

leonheartmm
Originally posted by Jbill311
jawdrop THE ANTICHRIST

lmao, WHAT is it with people. star wars SUCKED , boring, pointless, embarrisingly goldne age{without redeaming points i might add}, horribly dull story, idiotic character design and generally bad music. its like the silliest dungeons and dragons game in the world put ineffectively in space. besides, the scenarios are dull and despressing, all dry n stuff, and even the apparently BEAUTIFUL planets look nauseating. yea nauseating is the best way to describe star wars, negetively naeuseating.

peace

Cornlady
lmao, WHAT is it with people. star wars SUCKED , boring, pointless, embarrisingly goldne age{without redeaming points i might add}, horribly dull story, idiotic character design and generally bad music. its like the silliest dungeons and dragons game in the world put ineffectively in space. besides, the scenarios are dull and despressing, all dry n stuff, and even the apparently BEAUTIFUL planets look nauseating. yea nauseating is the best way to describe star wars, negetively naeuseating.

peace

I agree with you, I am not too fond of Star Wars, either and yes I know that there are people who are great fans of Star Wars and that is fine.

Peace,
Amanda

Neo Darkhalen
Star wars TOT, are the best SCI-FI films in exsistance they are just great, like Star Trek and Doctor Who.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.