Conan

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ragesRemorse
I just Finished the new conan game for the 360. At first the game seems as though it is going to be a dissapointment. It starts out as a simple hack and slash and never quite matures into much else. The controls and gameplay will undoubtedly be compared to God of War. The control scheme and gameplay is certainly not as deep as God of War, but it still manages to be a thouroughly entertaining game. If you come expecting more than a hack and slash you may not be satisfied.
I will start with the Pro's of the game. The story is actually interesting. The game does offer an Rpg type element. With every enemy that you slay, you gain orbs that can be used at any time during the game to purchase new moves. The moves are sperated into categories. One armed, dual weild, two handed and general moves. There is also a mastery system designated to certain moves. The more you use them the better and more effective they will become. You can weild nearly every weapon that your enemies use against you. You are able to execute some truly brutaly viscerale moves.
The graphics are crisp and imaginative. The story and gameplay moves along at a fast pace.

Now on to the cons. The camera is fixed, although this doesnt effect the gameplay it can at times feel restricting. You do gain the ability of magic in the game, but the standard melee attacks serve to be more effective than your magic. The magic feels like an after thought. Though lavish, the boss battles are very dissapointing. You can finish the game in about 15 hours. The major flaw in the game is how easy it is. Simple dodge and then attack is the most effective strategy. Alsthough there are chain moves. The combat system doesnt offer any strategy.

For the single player aspect, i would give the game a solid 7/10. It certainly reflects God of War but never tries to be God of war. There is much fun to be had here for hack and slash fans.

There is also a heavy online focus to the game but someone else will have to review that aspect because i am not an online gamer. I have heard though, that the PC version will offer a massive mmorpg element. You will have to play through the single player game to reach the online aspect, but from what i hear it is to be something worth checking out.

Blax_Hydralisk
I played the demo. It's really fun. Arnold has never been so awesome, even if it's not his voice.

Morridini
I downloaded the demo too and really liked it, considering getting my friend in teh US to pick it up for me.

However, is it true that it only lasts like 6 hours? And can you revisit earlier levels or do you have to play through teh game all over again to get to a level you liked?

Smasandian
Tried the demo, wasnt impressed.

Too many games to warrent an rental.

shin_gear
erm

Joe K
It was an ok demo, I liked the 3rd person though.

eggmayo
I'll have a look at the PC version sometime, running out of decent MMORPG's.

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by Smasandian
Tried the demo, wasnt impressed.

Too many games to warrent an rental.

agreed...

One problem I had was a lot of the combos were easily stoppable during multi-enemy encounters

I also found that there was no point using any other weapon than your default

Morridini
Originally posted by eggmayo
I'll have a look at the PC version sometime, running out of decent MMORPG's.

Well, if you are running out of MMORPGS you should rather check out Age of Conan, as that is an MMO while this is a single-player adventure game.

Bardiel13
I downloaded the demo and rented the game that day. It's not the greatest game in the world, but it does it's job. Quite a fun afternoon-killer, actually.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Morridini
I downloaded the demo too and really liked it, considering getting my friend in teh US to pick it up for me.

However, is it true that it only lasts like 6 hours? And can you revisit earlier levels or do you have to play through teh game all over again to get to a level you liked?

you could probably beat the game in about six hours on a single play through. Ten hours is more realistic.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.