Our food supply is programmed?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cheesebits

dadudemon

inimalist
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Borlaug

thread = over

~Forever*Alone~
what does FTW mean?

dadudemon
Originally posted by ~Forever*Alone~
what does FTW mean?

I means, to me, Fut the wuck...seriously. It, to me, is just simply a play on "WTF".

inimalist
I thought it was For the Win...

dadudemon
Originally posted by inimalist
I thought it was For the Win...

that IS what it means...however, I use it differently. FTW b*tches...etc.

jaden101
no the food supply is not "programmed"...the genetic modification of food sources in order to increase levels of certain nutritional neccessities was touted years ago as a way to increase the health of the global population...but due to the fact that this would effectively eliminate a multi billion grossing food supplements industry...it was lobbied against by big business and the idea was dropped

not to mention the fact that due to huge misunderstanding of genetic engineering by the general population...and due to high profile anti-genetic modification groups such as greenpeace etc....as soon as any whiff of genetic engineering food crops comes out there is media talk of it "contaminating" the non genetically modified crops

i personally think that modifying foods in order to help prevent malnutrition in famine ravaged countries would not be a bad thing

as for the manilpulation of food sources to include chemicals for altering moods etc...this would end up being lobbied against no doubt by the even bigger and more powerful pharmaceuticals industry and would also end up scrapped...cause why have people pay just for the food....when you can have them shelling out small fortunes for drugs which they are told they need because of some non existant mental disorder

of course...from an entirely different viewpoint...i do think that some food additives have side effects which cause mood changes but i dont believe these are desired by anyone...unless you are suggesting that the food manufacturers are deliberately making foods which have been linked to things such as hyperactivity in children...and thus colluding with the pharmaceuticals industry so that they can sell the drugs to "cure" these disorders....ritalin for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder for example....well thats a whole other conspiracy route to go down....

good luck proving it

Bardock42
Originally posted by dadudemon
that IS what it means...however, I use it differently. FTW b*tches...etc. Yeah, see, we define words and abbreviations in English so, yeah...well, people can understand our meaning, okay...and if you just make up your own meaning, err...then...you know...that makes no sense.

jaden101
see...i'm gonna have to get you to go ahead and come in on saturday....yeah...that'd be great

inimalist
Originally posted by jaden101
no the food supply is not "programmed"...the genetic modification of food sources in order to increase levels of certain nutritional neccessities was touted years ago as a way to increase the health of the global population...but due to the fact that this would effectively eliminate a multi billion grossing food supplements industry...it was lobbied against by big business and the idea was dropped

There was a recent article in the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry that looked at organic vs inorganic tomatoes for their flavanoid (apparently the healthy part of the tomato) content. It found that organic tomatoes were much higher in them than the conventionally grown tomatoes.

The funny part is, the tomato produces flavanoids when it is stressed, meaning that because organic crops are grown in worse conditions than conventional crops (re: without the benefit of modern technology) the tomato produces a defense mechanism that creates the chemical compound that just happens to be what is the nutritious part of the fruit to us.

lol, I am totally with your implied sentiment, but I got a kick out of that study. Genetic modification is clearly the way to go, but we should be very conservative in our implementation. As per the study, there is no guarantee that advances in technology will cause advances in nutrition.

Study - http://pubs.acs.org/cgi-bin/sample.cgi/jafcau/2007/55/i15/html/jf070344+.html

botankus
So, all you gotta do is avoid him on the last few hours on Friday, duck out early, turn off your answering machine, and you should be home free, man.

Devil King
I don't think our food supply is programed, but it's certainly poisoned.

You know, a lot more goes into creating microwaveable foods than just flash freezing it. Something has to be done to a plate of maccaroni and cheese to make it microwavable; to make it last for a year in teh freezer, before you nuke it.

It's a crisis. The bleeding hearts and the do-gooders on both sides of the aisle babble about the starving African children. Well, it's the opposite here in America. We're stuffing ourselves at all you can eat buffets, with food that's jacked up on chemicals and preservatives. Then we go home and chew on a handful of antacids and heartburn medications and burp and fart our way off to sleep.

And what happens if you want to eat a piece of chicken that isn't pumped full of antibiotics and preservatives? You have to go to a speacialty store like Whole Foods, 20 blocks out of the way, and pay 3 extra bucks for a piece of meat that isn't geeked out on chemicals. End result? The company makes even more money selling you a healtier alternative to the product that they poisoned in the first place!

It's another example of how this country, thanks to both democrat and republican politicians, has been sold to big buisness that's exploited this country.

I keep hearing FOX news talk about the Chinese trying to kill our children with poisionous toys. Well, fu*k all that. The Chinese have a billion people to worry about. Republicans talk about "personal responsability and making the effort to succeed"! Well, doesn't that mean it's the big buisnesses like Wal-Mart and Enron, who should be responsible American companies, and monitor the products they put on their shelves? No, China is the boogie man! Our toys have joined the terrorists! Any number of bullshit scare tactics being employed by the politics of America that are used to divert our attention while the government is sold to "Big Buisness".

inimalist
DK - http://www.livescience.com/health/060905_bad_farming.html

the Japanese have a really well done farming system. I think the farmers in North America are more interested in international trade than the Japanese are, thus creating less of the integration the Japanese have, but there doesn't really seem to be that much interest in local and fresh from the regular consumer here.

Robtard
Originally posted by Devil King
I don't think our food supply is programed, but it's certainly poisoned.

You know, a lot more goes into creating microwaveable foods than just flash freezing it. Something has to be done to a plate of maccaroni and cheese to make it microwavable; to make it last for a year in teh freezer, before you nuke it.

It's a crisis. The bleeding hearts and the do-gooders on both sides of the aisle babble about the starving African children. Well, it's the opposite here in America. We're stuffing ourselves at all you can eat buffets, with food that's jacked up on chemicals and preservatives. Then we go home and chew on a handful of antacids and heartburn medications and burp and fart our way off to sleep.

And what happens if you want to eat a piece of chicken that isn't pumped full of antibiotics and preservatives? You have to go to a speacialty store like Whole Foods, 20 blocks out of the way, and pay 3 extra bucks for a piece of meat that isn't geeked out on chemicals. End result? The company makes even more money selling you a healtier alternative to the product that they poisoned in the first place!

It's another example of how this country, thanks to both democrat and republican politicians, has been sold to big buisness that's exploited this country.

I keep hearing FOX news talk about the Chinese trying to kill our children with poisionous toys. Well, fu*k all that. The Chinese have a billion people to worry about. Republicans talk about "personal responsability and making the effort to succeed"! Well, doesn't that mean it's the big buisnesses like Wal-Mart and Enron, who should be responsible American companies, and monitor the products they put on their shelves? No, China is the boogie man! Our toys have joined the terrorists! Any number of bullshit scare tactics being employed by the politics of America that are used to divert our attention while the government is sold to "Big Buisness".

Excellent points... should have it's own thread.

WrathfulDwarf

Cheesebits
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
So best way to avoid this program is to go Organic Food?

Praying over it could help.

Food supply quality = big business = harmful chemicals (or pay extra for no chemicals)

yet

Toys from China = big business = harmful for children

The middle man is big business. The end result is the same, harming the consumers.

inimalist
Originally posted by Cheesebits

no, no it can't

InnerRise

Food supply quality = big business = harmful chemicals (or pay extra for no chemicals)

yet

The middle man is big business. The end result is the same, harming the consumers. DO you eat this food that you speak of?

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Devil King

yet

The middle man is big business. The end result is the same, harming the consumers.

You're trying too hard.

WrathfulDwarf

yet

You know at least we get to eat. In some poor countries...they would love to have our left overs.

jaden101
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
So best way to avoid this program is to go Organic Food?

well you'd think that wouldn't you?...but its not the case...the rules for classing foods as organic are very loose...take beef for instance...you only need to feed the cattle and organic food source for 2 weeks before slaughter to be allowed to label it organic...otherwise until then you can feed any trash you want to

the same principle applies organic crops...you only have to grow the seed organically...you can treat the seed with any chemicals you see fit before planting them

so organic isn't as good as it may 1st seem

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
Yeah, see, we define words and abbreviations in English so, yeah...well, people can understand our meaning, okay...and if you just make up your own meaning, err...then...you know...that makes no sense.

EGADS!!! You mean I have to conform to a single unified and unifrom body? eek!

And this whole time I thought we were supposed to do things the way we wanted. Thanks for clearing that up for me Mr. Marx. wink

Bardock42
Originally posted by dadudemon
EGADS!!! You mean I have to conform to a single unified and unifrom body? eek!

And this whole time I thought we were supposed to do things the way we wanted. Thanks for clearing that up for me Mr. Marx. wink

Cheese miracolously hundres comforts senator LMFAO, coleslaw.

It makes sense, you just need to know how I use those words smile

Also, Whirly trying to be like Oncewhite?

InnerRise
MiracOlously?

erm

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Robtard
Originally posted by InnerRise
MiracOlously?

erm

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Considering English isn't his first language, I think we can stop pointing out minor spelling errors. Of note, you make errors too, turd.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
Cheese miracolously hundres comforts senator LMFAO, coleslaw.

It makes sense, you just need to know how I use those words smile

Also, Whirly trying to be like Oncewhite?

But acronyms are different...especially on the internet. Also, in this situation, I defined my use and clearly indicated that I use it differently. That means you need to have a nice warm cup of fail. big grin

Captain King
This has actually been one of the more reasonable and intelligent conspiracies i've heard yet.

I'm stealing it k?

ragesRemorse

dadudemon
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Food alters your mood, that is fact. Processed foods posess synthetic chemicals. Are these chemical designed intentionaly to alter people's moods? No, they are designed to enhance taste and preservation. It wouldnt matter what type of chemicals were mixed into the foods. Most anything that you consume has some type of effect over your mind. These effects are still relatively unkown, but the effects they have over your body are generally well known and made public. If there were some type of seret conspiracy abound to alter the masses mood by engineering specific chemicals. The physical effects would not be made public.

Stick to fresh organic foods and stay away from processed foods of any kind if your scared of mood alterations enduced by food.

I like your post.

However, the effects are very well known for the most part...though a lot more information is still out there waiting to be discovered on receptors. (Suxh as upregulation, modulation, modification, etc.)

LHG
Actually, I think the OP is approaching it backwards. In fact, we are programmed, both by nature and our formative experiences.

Nature programs us to like and seek out certain tastes - fattiness (for calories, critical for people living in small groups the wild), sweetness (because in nature sugar only comes in things that are good for us, like seasonal fresh ripe fruit), etc.

We also are programmed by our parents' choices of what to feed us, and we adopt this as our default food choice.

Manufacturers and marketers are merely exploiting your previously existing programming.

Many people are able to overcome a highly restricted bad early diet and become more adventuresome eaters, but still, it's a drop in the bucket. Generally, attempting to avoid things like fat is counterproductive, as we really do need fat in our diets, and often consciously eliminating a source of fat just means that intake of other sources - perhaps less healthy ones - will rise unchecked until we have again achieved equilibrium in our diets.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.