how do you deal with mental pain/depression?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonheartmm
simple. how do you personally deal with mentalpain or depression. how well do you deal and what are the causative factors for it{in ur case/oppinion}.

anaconda
dont know, never experienced it

lord xyz
Change your life so it doesn't result in depression?

debbiejo
How do you deal with depression? Easy, just change your focus.

Bardock42
Originally posted by lord xyz
Change your life so it doesn't result in depression? Not that easy.

Originally posted by leonheartmm
simple. how do you personally deal with mentalpain or depression. how well do you deal and what are the causative factors for it{in ur case/oppinion}.

I have a friend who was able to deal with it through medication. Personally I am not really depressed ever...but real depression can certainly not be dealt with as easily as our resident dolts here propose.

debbiejo
True.

Yes you have...liar.
stick out tongue

inimalist
Personally, I use drugs

in general, "depression" (the 'I feel so bad's) is fairly easy to get rid of. It normally just comes from frustration, or it is a natural grieving process, and mostly time will make it better.

Depression (The capital D, real cognitive/affective disorder) is one of, if not the most debilitating disorders on the planet. Therapy/medication is somewhat helpful, but we just don't know enough about brains yet for there to be a magic bullet.

I think a lot of people have bouts of the "big D" Depression, but it is very much different from the regular depression that comes from life. A scary, though illuminating, statistic is that people with major depression are at the most risk of suicide once treatment starts. A majorly depressed individual probably doesn't have the motivation to kill themselves, but once the treatment starts and they get some motivation, and they are still unhappy, they do it.

Sadako of Girth
Sounds cliched to say, but "...one day at a time."

Blax_Hydralisk
butsekz.

SelphieT
Hmm, I used to try a lot of things to handle my depression.

I'd try illegal drugs, try legal drugs illegally, and I used to cut....

But now I've realized time just takes care of it, really. Or you have an epiphany, and you just get over it, or realize something about your problem you are depressed over.

I recommend to anyone, not to ever cut yourself or do drugs to get over shit.

Bardock42
Originally posted by SelphieT
Hmm, I used to try a lot of things to handle my depression.

I'd try illegal drugs, try legal drugs illegally, and I used to cut....

But now I've realized time just takes care of it, really. Or you have an epiphany, and you just get over it, or realize something about your problem you are depressed over.

I recommend to anyone, not to ever cut yourself or do drugs to get over shit. Drugs can help.

There are better reasons to use them though.

BackFire
When I'm feeling down I sleep or jerk off. Works.

Bardock42
Originally posted by BackFire
When I'm feeling down I sleep or jerk off. Works. Ever tried both at the same time?

BackFire
It's hard.

(Hehehehehe)

debbiejo
I knew someone who took acid and went sky diving once....

Oh, nevermind.

rickyduck
Originally posted by Bardock42
Drugs can help.

There are better reasons to use them though.

Ironic, drugs also cause depression.

My local shop keeper just got submitted to hospital:

he has been on anti-depressants for a number of years now. 4 days ago he stopped using them and today he got submitted to hospital, as he collapsed while working. His state is critical.

SelphieT
Originally posted by rickyduck
Ironic, drugs also cause depression.

My local shop keeper just got submitted to hospital:

he has been on anti-depressants for a number of years now. 4 days ago he stopped using them and today he got submitted to hospital, as he collapsed while working. His state is critical.

A lot of my friends that used to be on prescription anti-depressants, when they stopped taking the pills, they were actually a lot happier afterwards.

It's weird how they can just make you worse sometimes.

Lana
It's not weird at all. Everyone reacts differently to different things.

SelphieT
Originally posted by Lana
It's not weird at all. Everyone reacts differently to different things.

Oh I know that, it's just that it's supposed to make you feel less depressed, but with some people, it makes them feel even worse.

Cheesebits

Sniff saint john's warts -the tenture-

Dehydration can lead to depression, stay hydrated.

Check your home for mold or other allergants that can lead to serious mental & physical health problems.

ragesRemorse
I generally sit in front of the television isolating myself in the house while eating mood enhancing foods. After i crash from my food enduced high. I begin to dwell intensely on my problems. Although it pulls you deeper into despair, self loathing and self pity feels strangely reassuring.

Thats how i deal with depression.

inimalist
I don't think anyone would advocate using illegal drugs as a way to treat depression.

However, when asked the question: "What do you do to deal with depression?" The answer is "drugs". No, it doesn't help in any significant way. Live for the moment though, eh? I'm lucky I don't suffer from depression in any real way.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by inimalist
I don't think anyone would advocate using illegal drugs as a way to treat depression.

Your right, but legal drugs posessing side effects just as debilitating are approved by all laughing out loud

Like you, i believe trying to live in the moment helps, but, being able to look within and answer your questions honestly and without bias. Usually leads me to the steps of pulling myself out of a depression.

BlackC@
Talking with someone always helps, and trying to find understanding.

When I went through a tough time I would talk with my school dean. He was great and very understanding, we've actually become very close because of it.

Naz
Well I guess my reply still counts even though I'm not insane or depressed. But when I need to blow off steam or something, I get on the interstate and speed while listening to loud music. Only thing is my car tops out at 95mph, and that's just not fast enough.

Secretus
Alcohol/drugs are not the answer.

But unfortunately, it's mine.

Adam_PoE
MkpLR4WzIBc

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
MkpLR4WzIBc

well, im no longer depressed, but now disturbed. Thanks for that...,bastard mad

Zeal Ex Nihilo
I cut myself and post pics on my LiveJournal.

Crease
Physical Exertion. Christmas 2005 I broke up with my ex. I was so filled with hatred and anger I couldn't sleep, do my job well, be even remotely cordial, smile etc. Life sucked soooooooooooo bad. But Jan. 1, 2006 I went back to the gym after lying in bed for 4 hours and not being able to sleep. Believe it or not, I worked out 76 straight days (combination MMA training, lifting running, Jiu Jitsu). And at least 2 1/2 hours each day. March 7, 2006 I hurt my shoulder grappling and was forced to take some time off.

See, I realized the only positive benefit of anger was adrenaline. I was so filled with hatred and anger it fuled me. I was no longer depressed while I was working out. I'd run seven to 8 miles on the tread, do twice as many reps and sets as usual, etc. And I'd actually burn my self out enuff that by the time I got back home I'd fall straight to sleep.

Of course once I hurt my shoulder I had nothing to do but be depressed and hateful again. And then I found the way of the Sith...

Leo.M

Personally, I just keep myself busy with stuff. Go out with people as much as I can to avoid thinking about the problems in my life. Talk to people as much as I can.

dadudemon
I have never been depressed.

Things have happened in my life that should make most people depressed but I just am not the type to get depressed. I can get really really angry..but even then, it is hard to stay angry for longer than a few hours for me.

My wife, before we got married, used to get depressed for a couple of days at a time, for no apparent reason. Now, she doesn't anymore...I tend to think that myself and our children are the reason why.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
I cut myself and post pics on my LiveJournal. laughing out loud

I get on this form and it makes me laugh, that's how I deal with it...lol

Bardock42
Originally posted by dadudemon
I have never been depressed.

Things have happened in my life that should make most people depressed but I just am not the type to get depressed. I can get really really angry..but even then, it is hard to stay angry for longer than a few hours for me.

My wife, before we got married, used to get depressed for a couple of days at a time, for no apparent reason. Now, she doesn't anymore...I tend to think that myself and our children are the reason why. Maybe it's her secret lover.

Originally posted by Naz
Well I guess my reply still counts even though I'm not insane or depressed. But when I need to blow off steam or something, I get on the interstate and speed while listening to loud music. Only thing is my car tops out at 95mph, and that's just not fast enough. Haha, that's enough to be illegal, but not enough for anything else.

Stupid Americans with their stupid slow cars.

leonheartmm
Originally posted by Crease
Physical Exertion. Christmas 2005 I broke up with my ex. I was so filled with hatred and anger I couldn't sleep, do my job well, be even remotely cordial, smile etc. Life sucked soooooooooooo bad. But Jan. 1, 2006 I went back to the gym after lying in bed for 4 hours and not being able to sleep. Believe it or not, I worked out 76 straight days (combination MMA training, lifting running, Jiu Jitsu). And at least 2 1/2 hours each day. March 7, 2006 I hurt my shoulder grappling and was forced to take some time off.

See, I realized the only positive benefit of anger was adrenaline. I was so filled with hatred and anger it fuled me. I was no longer depressed while I was working out. I'd run seven to 8 miles on the tread, do twice as many reps and sets as usual, etc. And I'd actually burn my self out enuff that by the time I got back home I'd fall straight to sleep.

Of course once I hurt my shoulder I had nothing to do but be depressed and hateful again. And then I found the way of the Sith...

but adrenaline just makes me freeze{as ud freeze when shocked/terrified}, or it makes my body tremble, or it gives me the fealing of guilt + the fealing of having your heart in your throat and your stomach falling to oblivion. plus a generally very anxious/sickening psyche profile. sad

inimalist
but adrenaline just makes me freeze{as ud freeze when shocked/terrified}, or it makes my body tremble, or it gives me the fealing of guilt + the fealing of having your heart in your throat and your stomach falling to oblivion. plus a generally very anxious/sickening psyche profile. sad

lol, that sounds like a rather maladaptive fight or flight mechanism

(and this comming from someone who suffers anxiety attacks wink)

leonheartmm
i have only had like one or two episodes which could be considered all out panic attacks. but the situation is similar in a lot of places. makes public speaking/fighting very hard if not impossible. not to mention it has lotsa negetive impacts on your social life/interactions and ability to tackle problems/confidence in doing something or tring sumthing new.

inimalist
i have only had like one or two episodes which could be considered all out panic attacks. but the situation is similar in a lot of places. makes public speaking/fighting very hard if not impossible. not to mention it has lotsa negetive impacts on your social life/interactions and ability to tackle problems/confidence in doing something or tring sumthing new.

I have a weird kind of panic disorder. It is either an over intense fight/flight response (which would make more sense in the case of getting anxious before public speaking) or an overactive disgust system (I'll explain in a min, but we do have a system that makes us disgusted seperate from other emotional processing).

I get severe (have to lay down for 20 min, feel like I'm going to die) panic attacks when I see movie blood or really gory disgusting things. It isn't that I don't like them, its that I cannot physically handle it. Thats why this type of anxiety problem is thought to be a problem in the disgust system.

But ya, nothing more embarassing than having to excuse yourself from the group to "go lie down and not die"

Quiero Mota

Smoking weed, tinkering, punching a punchbag, fishing, and confronting the person who I have a problem with.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Naz
Only thing is my car tops out at 95mph, and that's just not fast enough.

What the f**k? That's not normal....

dadudemon
I have a weird kind of panic disorder. It is either an over intense fight/flight response (which would make more sense in the case of getting anxious before public speaking) or an overactive disgust system (I'll explain in a min, but we do have a system that makes us disgusted seperate from other emotional processing).

I get severe (have to lay down for 20 min, feel like I'm going to die) panic attacks when I see movie blood or really gory disgusting things. It isn't that I don't like them, its that I cannot physically handle it. Thats why this type of anxiety problem is thought to be a problem in the disgust system.

But ya, nothing more embarassing than having to excuse yourself from the group to "go lie down and not die"

Tsk tsk...and this whole time I thought I was going to watch a bloody movie with you when I go to visit Canada.

That really sucks, bro.

It it worse when you cause the blood? (In a fight or something.)

inimalist
Tsk tsk...and this whole time I thought I was going to watch a bloody movie with you when I go to visit Canada.

That really sucks, bro.

It is kinda lame, for almost the reason you described. There have been many times when people have been like "Oh, lets put this movie on or whatever" and I just sort of quietly have to be like "well, I can't stay here if you put that on..."

Moderatly akward

It it worse when you cause the blood? (In a fight or something.)

This is the weirdest part. It changes on a day to day basis.

On most days, real blood (even if its on TV, like when they show murder victims or whatever) doesn't do too much to me. And I have a fairly high tolorance for just "blood" (ie, without any real gory context). However, if someone is say, drinking another person's blood, or something just weird, and it is hyper realistic, and the blood is spattering everywhere, and the camera work is made to gross you out, ya, it really puts me over the edge.

Then there are bad days, where like, I'll cut myself shaving and feel really anxious and need to sit down.

dadudemon
It is kinda lame, for almost the reason you described. There have been many times when people have been like "Oh, lets put this movie on or whatever" and I just sort of quietly have to be like "well, I can't stay here if you put that on..."

Moderatly akward

This is the weirdest part. It changes on a day to day basis.

On most days, real blood (even if its on TV, like when they show murder victims or whatever) doesn't do too much to me. And I have a fairly high tolorance for just "blood" (ie, without any real gory context). However, if someone is say, drinking another person's blood, or something just weird, and it is hyper realistic, and the blood is spattering everywhere, and the camera work is made to gross you out, ya, it really puts me over the edge.

Then there are bad days, where like, I'll cut myself shaving and feel really anxious and need to sit down.

HOLY SHIT DUDE!

It is totally impossible for me to comprehend something like this. Same thing with motion sickness...I totally can't comprehend it. It really does go right over my head. I can, in no way, be sympathetic...I only gotz empathy for this type of thing. confused

inimalist
HOLY SHIT DUDE!

It is totally impossible for me to comprehend something like this. Same thing with motion sickness...I totally can't comprehend it. It really does go right over my head. I can, in no way, be sympathetic...I only gotz empathy for this type of thing. confused

lol, well, thanks

If I had my way, I'd pick a way to have people ignore it (which sounds so genuine after going to pains to explain my condition). Empathy is appreciated, but it does feel a little condesending. LOL, it is more than anything, a hit to my pride. Sort of a really blunt way of knowing that I'm just a little bit broken compared to the rest of society. But, ya, thanks smile

SelphieT
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
I generally sit in front of the television isolating myself in the house while eating mood enhancing foods. After i crash from my food enduced high. I begin to dwell intensely on my problems. Although it pulls you deeper into despair, self loathing and self pity feels strangely reassuring.

Thats how i deal with depression.

I can definetly identify with that.

Bardock42
lol, well, thanks

If I had my way, I'd pick a way to have people ignore it (which sounds so genuine after going to pains to explain my condition). Empathy is appreciated, but it does feel a little condesending. LOL, it is more than anything, a hit to my pride. Sort of a really blunt way of knowing that I'm just a little bit broken compared to the rest of society. But, ya, thanks smile Oh, you poor, poor little thingy. Not able to watch movies.....awwwww....awwwww. I am sooooo sorry for you. AWW. hug You are different. But there's nothing wrong with that. Though there is with you. You poor, innocent soul.

Sooo sorry.

dadudemon
Oh, you poor, poor little thingy. Not able to watch movies.....awwwww....awwwww. I am sooooo sorry for you. AWW. hug You are different. But there's nothing wrong with that. Though there is with you. You poor, innocent soul.

Sooo sorry.

Why, dude? You do know that you are trolling, right?

Bardock42
Why, dude? You do know that you are trolling, right?

inimalist seems to have an excellent sense of humour. I wouldn't do it with an overly sensitive and fragile person.

Devil King
inimalist seems to have an excellent sense of humour. I wouldn't do it with an overly sensitive and fragile person.

Not very German of you.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Devil King
Not very German of you.

Well, to be fair, we only picked on the Jews because they were wealthy (heaven stolen our German money) and could fight back.

At least my Hitler Youth instructor told me so. Then again he also told me to drop on my knees, close my eyes and suck the sweet juice of nationalism out of a hose.

dadudemon
Well, to be fair, we only picked on the Jews because they were wealthy (heaven stolen our German money) and could fight back.

At least my Hitler Youth instructor told me so. Then again he also told me to drop on my knees, close my eyes and suck the sweet juice of nationalism out of a hose.

Where is the real Bardock42 and what have you done with him?

Bardock42
Where is the real Bardock42 and what have you done with him?

N-not quite sure what you mean.

lord xyz

At least my Hitler Youth instructor told me so. Then again he also told me to drop on my knees, close my eyes and suck the sweet juice of nationalism out of a hose. I would kill jews for the very same reason.

inimalist
Oh, you poor, poor little thingy. Not able to watch movies.....awwwww....awwwww. I am sooooo sorry for you. AWW. hug You are different. But there's nothing wrong with that. Though there is with you. You poor, innocent soul.

would you make fun of a person in a wheel chair?

what I have is a disability, you WILL respect my rights...

but ya, eat a right big ol'cock, eh?

Bardock42
would you make fun of a person in a wheel chair?

what I have is a disability, you WILL respect my rights...

but ya, eat a right big ol'cock, eh?

Well, not necessarily, those guys are freaking fast on even ground.

And I don't like dicks, I am a manly man, only vaginas. No dicks. No sir, no.

inimalist
Well, not necessarily, those guys are freaking fast on even ground.

lol, making fun of people in wheel chairs is amazing smile what are they going to do, kick you?

"I'm gonna mess you up, just don't make any sharp turns"

And I don't like dicks, I am a manly man, only vaginas. No dicks. No sir, no.

you should try one with fava beans and a nice kianti

BackFire
Originally posted by Devil King
Not very German of you.

Hahaha.

Bardock42
lol, making fun of people in wheel chairs is amazing smile what are they going to do, kick you?

you should try one with fava beans and a nice kianti Dude, that's racist.

I like beans though.

dadudemon

Maybeh....no expression

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUZ4-2uXvro

SpearofDestiny

1) Ask myself why am I depressed, then if I really care about what I am depressed about.

2) Meditate and focus on something or someone I love, instead of focusing on the object of negativity.

3) Do something I love...such as Artwork, lifting weights, masturbaiting, meditation some more, video games, chatting with good freinds, watching a funny movie, reading mythology/philosophy/literature, or having sex with someone I haven't had sex with in a while.

If there is one thing I learned it's that Life is way too short to waste time on needless suffering. And I learned how easy it really is to manipulate your own emotions, and free yourself from an undesired state of mind.

There is So0o0o0 much fun to be had, and it's all your choice. You can either focus on what makes you miserable, or focus on what makes you happy.

candylucifer
It is not an easay question to answer

Lara
being a sufferer myself all I can offer is some insight to how I've "personally" dealt with Depression.

No I will admit it is certainly not a fun place to be but it can be an addictive place to be.

the professionals describe my condition as:

"personality disorder, displaying dramatic mood swings of depression and elevated mood with sleep disturbances"

I've had talk therapy and an attempt at cognitive therapy (which by the way is total crap)
I've been prescribed several anti-depressants most of which have either not worked or made my state of mind alot worse, I've also had anti-pyschotics which also did bugger all lol.

I have been described as a "victim of cercumstance which is common of most depressives.

I dealt with it myself for a long time before seeking help and found creative outlets very useful. things such as painting and creative writting, music is very effective for me I cant explain why.

I tried to spend more time with friends and less time at home I keep busy and tried to avoid anything that allowed my mind to wander.

I found thinking about the problem makes it worse as it leads to self-blame and I ended up getting very lost in myself which resulted in painic attacks and blackouts.

I also had night terrors which lead to a fear of sleeping which in itself became a nasty cycle, I couldnt sleep because I couldnt stop thinking and then when I did sleep I had the most horrific dreams you ever imagine.

but in order to change the pattern you have to change a few things in your life what ever they may be that make you feel worse and replace they with some thing you enjoy or find theraputic or relaxing.

I'm currently still suffering insomnia and have been on Lofepramine for the best part of the year at the moment things are ok but now the dark weather draws in my mood darkens with it. I deal with that by making the most of the daylight hours where I can.

I hope this has helped

the welsh one
Originally posted by Lara
being a sufferer myself all I can offer is some insight to how I've "personally" dealt with Depression.

No I will admit it is certainly not a fun place to be but it can be an addictive place to be.

"personality disorder, displaying dramatic mood swings of depression and elevated mood with sleep disturbances"

I've had talk therapy and an attempt at cognitive therapy (which by the way is total crap)
I've been prescribed several anti-depressants most of which have either not worked or made my state of mind alot worse, I've also had anti-pyschotics which also did bugger all lol.

I have been described as a "victim of cercumstance which is common of most depressives.

I dealt with it myself for a long time before seeking help and found creative outlets very useful. things such as painting and creative writting, music is very effective for me I cant explain why.

I tried to spend more time with friends and less time at home I keep busy and tried to avoid anything that allowed my mind to wander.

I found thinking about the problem makes it worse as it leads to self-blame and I ended up getting very lost in myself which resulted in painic attacks and blackouts.

I also had night terrors which lead to a fear of sleeping which in itself became a nasty cycle, I couldnt sleep because I couldnt stop thinking and then when I did sleep I had the most horrific dreams you ever imagine.

but in order to change the pattern you have to change a few things in your life what ever they may be that make you feel worse and replace they with some thing you enjoy or find theraputic or relaxing.

I'm currently still suffering insomnia and have been on Lofepramine for the best part of the year at the moment things are ok but now the dark weather draws in my mood darkens with it. I deal with that by making the most of the daylight hours where I can.

I hope this has helped

this could of helped me a while ago but im fine now

i think the best way to get over depression is weed big grin

leonheartmm

I hope this has helped

thanku. but what if you were in a situation where you cudnt do/wudnt do. any of that or any of the things that spearofdestiny mentioned. what if you were in a place where your very existance/core/atma/conciousness{whatever you wanna call it} cud be invalidated as well as all you beleived in. what if you were in a place where your very existance were conflicted/ at a parallel? also, what if you didnt wanna delude yourself about the situation {to CHANGE YOUR "PERSPECTIVE" OVER IT} to make yourself feal better. what if you were unwilling to "forget" it{even partially} ti "move on", because if you did that you would forget forever who you really were...

{i know im not making a lot of sense. n no, im not hyteric when i said that laughing . just incase sum1 starts worrying}

Lara
your right you dont make much sense laughing out loud

and I'm not sure what point your trying to make, so could you maybe word it differently for me, please? big grin

welsh one: weed is definately not the answer laughing out loud been there done that.

JacopeX

~Forever*Alone~
i dont deal with it... i pretend nothing is wrong.....

leonheartmm

chillmeistergen
Bit of a drink, bit of ganja.
I've only had a proper bout of depression once and I went about dealing with it in utterly the wrong way, I basically just went on a massive binge and nearly died.

The trouble is, for me anyway when I was in that depression, things couldn't be rationalised. I would do things that in my normal state of mind I'd never do, because nothing seemed to have any real meaning anymore.

Alfheim
Originally posted by lord xyz
Change your life so it doesn't result in depression?

Fantastic. roll eyes (sarcastic)

WrathfulDwarf

In my case...drepression? I may have my downs but not to actually getting drepress.

I just look for things that make me feel good. My hobbies and activities are my little escapes from reality.

idowhatiamtold
I try to except life as much as possible and when i get stressed out or upset I think positive and I run a lot!! My mother passed away when I was 19 so I've dealt with pain. It was a tough time in my life but I tried to stay as positive as possible.

pr1983
simple. how do you personally deal with mentalpain or depression.

I just do.

The Grey Fox

When I had clinical depression, I fought it by coming to terms with what depressed me, and trying my best to overcome it. It is very hard to combat, most people just give in to it sad

miss_swann
simple. how do you personally deal with mentalpain or depression. how well do you deal and what are the causative factors for it{in ur case/oppinion}. I fail.

KingTech
When ever I feel depressed I drink a lot just to get rid of my depression.But I feel that it is not working for me.I am thinking of getting rid of the stuff which cause me depression.

Lightningrod

music

Rogue Jedi
depends on what caused the depression, duhr.

Lightningrod
Originally posted by KingTech
When ever I feel depressed I drink a lot just to get rid of my depression.But I feel that it is not working for me.I am thinking of getting rid of the stuff which cause me depression.

that only make the illusion you feel better
then you go downhill when the affects wear off

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
depends on what caused the depression, duhr.

Depression isn't always caused by anything in particular, if it was, it'd be a lot easier to get rid off.

SelphieT
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
Depression isn't always caused by anything in particular, if it was, it'd be a lot easier to get rid off.

This is true. Very true.

Rogue Jedi
Depression isn't always caused by anything in particular, if it was, it'd be a lot easier to get rid off. thats what I just said, in a different way.

I'm depressed now.....hold me? embarrasment

chillmeistergen
Well, it's not what you said, is it? Re read the post.

Rogue Jedi
Well, it's not what you said, is it? Re read the post. I said it depends on what caused the depression. You said that depression isnt always caused by anything in particular. see the similarities?

chillmeistergen
They both have the word caused in them?

Rogue Jedi
both statements claim that depression can be caused by any number of things.

chillmeistergen
Well, my statement was in reply to yours. So, mine was claiming that a sufferer of depression cannot pinpoint the cause, nor, as is often the case, can trained professionals.

Rogue Jedi
I agree 110%.

Lara
I found that if anything the docs didnt really help me in any way.
They just asked lot of silly questions and the one that pissed me off the most was "...and how does that make you feel?"

my answer: "HOW THE **** DO YOU THINK IT MAKES ME FEEL!!??????"

another thing that doesnt really help is they make you think about issues that you really dont want to and then they try and make you analyse yourself, that kinda where I drew the line in my talk therapy.

I've learnt that the things you often want to change are the things you refuse to accept because you know deep down that you cant change them but it doesnt stop you trying.

once I finally realised and acknowledged the things i couldnt change things were increadably different for me.

but as we go through life we encounter new issues that we have the same age old problems with and they trip us up every time.

lepoards never change their spots, only their game tactics.
stuff affects me in so many different ways now that I have to seriously contemplate stuff to actually think of what the best way to react is. which is hard work in itself laughing out loud

chillmeistergen
I'm actually at a loss about what to do, about the depressive spells I go through. The main trouble is, I have no idea what causes them, I just know that I'm completely and utterly miserable.

Another problem is that old thing of forgetting what I felt like before, it's horrible because there is no visible beginning to the feelings and no foreseeable end.

Quiero Mota
I found that if anything the docs didnt really help me in any way.
They just asked lot of silly questions and the one that pissed me off the most was "...and how does that make you feel?"

my answer: "HOW THE **** DO YOU THINK IT MAKES ME FEEL!!??????"

another thing that doesnt really help is they make you think about issues that you really dont want to and then they try and make you analyse yourself, that kinda where I drew the line in my talk therapy.

I've learnt that the things you often want to change are the things you refuse to accept because you know deep down that you cant change them but it doesnt stop you trying.

once I finally realised and acknowledged the things i couldnt change things were increadably different for me.

but as we go through life we encounter new issues that we have the same age old problems with and they trip us up every time.

lepoards never change their spots, only their game tactics.
stuff affects me in so many different ways now that I have to seriously contemplate stuff to actually think of what the best way to react is. which is hard work in itself laughing out loud

I have no respect for shrinks. Psychology isn't even a real medicine practise.

Dentists are doctors, neurologists are doctors, podiatrists are doctors, orthopedic surgeons are doctors, OBGYN's are doctors......some guy who charges 80 bucks an hour to listen to someone complain about how much their life sucks only to give his opinion is not a doctor. I could do that!

chillmeistergen
They do more than that, they prescribe medication based on their diagnosis. That's why they have to be medically qualified. That's the difference between a psychiatrist and a counsellor.

Quiero Mota
They do more than that, they prescribe medication based on their diagnosis. That's why they have to be medically qualified. That's the difference between a psychiatrist and a counsellor.

I know they also occasionally prescribe pills, they also sometimes recommend working out. I've been to shrinks before, ey. Once I was "advised" to meditate ( What the f**k? ). They prescribe an upper that works for a few hours but does nothing in the long run except cause you to possibly form an addiction. They don't cure nada.

SpearofDestiny
Meditation is the best for me.

My mind tends to be cluttered with thoughts, good and bad, but which ultamately stress me out. At first meditation seemed like a waste of time, because I was just sitting there breathing, getting bored.

But then I realized that I didn't understand the practice. The point is to quiet your mind, to train your mind to not think.

I learned to manipulate my own emotions, and to stay in a good mood no matter what the circumstance. Ofcourse, I couldn't be numb to a tragedy, but I don't ever get depressed.

I haven't gotten Depressed in over a year. That's a good thing ! And my stress level is way lower than it ever was, even though I'm ALWAYS busy with school and work.

Despite not having weekends, I'm never really stressed out. And whenever I find myself getting to that point where my mind loses peace, I make myself chill out.

I never thought you could learn how to "choose" your emotions, but I did. The basic emotional mood, atleast.

leonheartmm
soooo, u cud "choose" ur emotion even when the girl of ur dreams is telling you that she is engaged so sum1 else?? cause it doesnt seem to be working for me.

SpearofDestiny
soooo, u cud "choose" ur emotion even when the girl of ur dreams is telling you that she is engaged so sum1 else??

I'm Gay erm

cause it doesnt seem to be working for me.

Well, you can do one of two things:

1) You can dwell on the loss, continue feeling sorry for yourself, fuel the attachment and torture yourself by clinging to a girl you can't have.

OR

2) Realize that she has already made her decision, wish her the best, wish for her happiness, and move on.

Understand that it is only your attachment to her that is leading you to suffer. I made a decision a long time ago: I will never suffer over anyone who doesn't suffer over me. Put in short, If someone doesn't care for me, or isn't dedicated to me, then why should I dedicate to them ?

That suffering would be pointless.

Have you already spoken to her ? Is she certain that she made the right choice ? Is she even interested in you ?

If she made it clear that she had no plans to be with you, then you are wasting your time, and your further suffering is your own fault. You need to learn how to LET GO. There are practices you can perform to mentally train yourself to let go of such unnecessary attachments.

I look back now....in the year of 2004, I had a heartbreak which lasted until 2006. At the time, it was meaningful. I was in pain, so hurt, and very attached. I was in Love, and my pain came from the lack of response for that love.

Now I look back and realize what a total waste all that was. I wasted two years feeling sorry for myself, stunting my emotional growth, and ruining freindships and oppurtunities that could have benefitted me.

And for who ? Someone who didn't give a crap about me, and probably never will... erm

Come on bro...you gotta balance emotion and reason. You can learn how to do so.

leonheartmm
oh i feal like shooting you right now kali!!!!! mad miffed

but there is sum truth to what you say. {ofcourse ill never take ur advice.. the way i am} but u have point{albeit a slightly incomplete one from sum rare perspectives} smile

{n im sure u got what i was saying. guy or girl, love is involved, as is engagement to sum1 who isnt u, n suffering}

SpearofDestiny
oh i feal like shooting you right now kali!!!!! mad miffed

but there is sum truth to what you say. {ofcourse ill never take ur advice.. the way i am} but u have point{albeit a slightly incomplete one from sum rare perspectives} smile

{n im sure u got what i was saying. guy or girl, love is involved, as is engagement to sum1 who isnt u, n suffering}

I know what Heartbreak is like, I've had 3 major heartbreaks already, in only the past 4 years.

And yes, Love which is not returned can be very painful...but I beleive that is only the case with an untrained mind.

You can have nearly everything in this life, but the one thing you cannot do is control another person. You can't make someone love you, no matter how hard you try. Thier mind, thier feelings, are thier own, and not yours to decide.

Just understand that. As long as you realize that it is your attachment will is causing you pain, over time you will learn how to cope.

However, if you fall into the whole "ohhh..my life is over, we were meant to be, now my life is meaningless" mentality, then you will suffer...greatly and unneededly.

Lara
I'm actually at a loss about what to do, about the depressive spells I go through. The main trouble is, I have no idea what causes them, I just know that I'm completely and utterly miserable.

Another problem is that old thing of forgetting what I felt like before, it's horrible because there is no visible beginning to the feelings and no foreseeable end.

Like you, alot of the time I have no "apparent" cause for my episodes.
Also again like you I find that my episodes creep up on me and I dont realise my dilema until it is well and truely set upon me and yes it does seem endless. But I suffer from a see-saw mood disorder. lol so I get hte super lows and the super highs too which other ppl find very very very annoying.
Not to mention a sex drive which has a mind of its own and frequently goes into over-ride. lol

SpearofDestiny
Not to mention a sex drive which has a mind of its own and frequently goes into over-ride. lol

That's my situation, except I feel that way ALL THE TIME.

No joke. I am a Sex-Addict.

Jaime Sommers

Do something you enjoy. Go for a walk, as it is well known that exercise does help - it makes you feel refreshed. Go and see friends, visit places you've always wanted to, but haven't had time.

Do things you enjoy doing. The worst thing you can do, when depressed, is sit around and do nothing, as this will make you think more depressing thoughts.

Also, keep a diary. It may be hard to talk about your feelings to a real person, so tell them a diary. Trust me, this one helps.

I am sorry if you are feeling depressed lately, I know all too well what that feels like. I hope you feel better soon. smile

MrCampion
Like you, alot of the time I have no "apparent" cause for my episodes.
Also again like you I find that my episodes creep up on me and I dont realise my dilema until it is well and truely set upon me and yes it does seem endless. But I suffer from a see-saw mood disorder. lol so I get hte super lows and the super highs too which other ppl find very very very annoying.

I have been following this post and would like to echo what this poster has already said. Depression, while a very real and often dangerous illness, often seems to lack a direct or specific cause that most physical illnesses have. I have been fighting depression for a long time. Even with medication and years spent in therapy do not take it away from you fully if at all.
Not all therapists are bad but most I have met seem to be quite inadequete to actually providing any sound guidance or aid.

In my case a sign of depression is my appetitie or lack thereof. There are mornings when I do not want to eat anything. Too much sleep is another sign. My heart goes out to those who suffer from depression in it;s many forms. It really does.

chillmeistergen
I actually get the reverse of the sleeping symptom, I'll often stay up all night, all day the next day and all night again.

MrCampion
With depression I find lack of sleep or too much sleep are powerful symptoms to face.

debbiejo
Yeah, if you don't get enough sleep you can really tell the difference on how you view a situation. Seems more negative.

SelphieT
If it's really bad, to the point where I can't help but cry(very rare), I just let it all out to my best friend. I'm so glad I have him.

I don't really care if he has nothing to say to make me feel better, as long as he listens, and is understanding.

I guess we are each other's therapy, we talk about problems every once in a while, we give each other advice, and we end up laughing again by the time the conversation is over. He can always cheer me up, and I hope it's vise versa for him happy

debbiejo
B-12 helps too.

Shinde Imasu
Usually if I feel hopeless, I will bottle it inside (Yeah, stupid idea) until I burst into tears and someone asks me what's wrong. I just find it really hard to approach someone with my problems, I wait until they ask me. My girlfriend can usually help, and she can tell if there's something wrong before I start crying. But if she's not around, then it can stay locked up inside for days until it gets dealt with. Depending on why I feel helpless, some music can help me feel better. But if it's really bad, I stay up night after night just drawing. Sometimes it helps, but occassionally I'll get carried away and draw some really depressing (or emo, as some people would call it) pictures. I have to hide them from people or else I could get myself into some serious trouble.

Shinde Imasu
Originally posted by MrCampion
I have been following this post and would like to echo what this poster has already said. Depression, while a very real and often dangerous illness, often seems to lack a direct or specific cause that most physical illnesses have. I have been fighting depression for a long time. Even with medication and years spent in therapy do not take it away from you fully if at all.
Not all therapists are bad but most I have met seem to be quite inadequete to actually providing any sound guidance or aid.

In my case a sign of depression is my appetitie or lack thereof. There are mornings when I do not want to eat anything. Too much sleep is another sign. My heart goes out to those who suffer from depression in it;s many forms. It really does.

(Sorry for double post)

When I saw a counsellor (it helped me quite a bit), he said that he wasn't actually guiding me to feeling better, he was walking beside me, watching me do it all on my own and pushing me back onto the path if I strayed. And yes, depression is dangerous. I haven't actually been diagnosed with depression by a doctor/psychologist, but I've witnessed it, and I know it isn't nice.

debbiejo
The worst thing you can do it keep it bottled up inside. It's natural to let everything out. It's like a steam valve. It's lets the pressure out then you can start to feel a bit better. Oh btw councillors can do get helps. If you're leaning a bit to the right or left, you usually don't even realize it. It's nice to have someone that can look at the situation from a unbiased view and say...your thinking is a little off centered and let me tell you why.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Shinde Imasu
Usually if I feel hopeless, I will bottle it inside (Yeah, stupid idea) until I burst into tears and someone asks me what's wrong. I just find it really hard to approach someone with my problems, I wait until they ask me. My girlfriend can usually help, and she can tell if there's something wrong before I start crying. But if she's not around, then it can stay locked up inside for days until it gets dealt with. Depending on why I feel helpless, some music can help me feel better. But if it's really bad, I stay up night after night just drawing. Sometimes it helps, but occassionally I'll get carried away and draw some really depressing (or emo, as some people would call it) pictures. I have to hide them from people or else I could get myself into some serious trouble.

That's quite similar to what happens to me. Though I don't really cry, people start to notice me getting reckless, drinking extremely often etc.

I've sort of given up on trying to approach people for help when I do get depressed, because I can't fully articulate what I'm feeling and I think people find it hard to understand that I don't know what's making me miserable. The staying up night after night thing I do as well, though I'll either sit and do very little, or drink.

Shinde Imasu
Well, I'm only 15, so it's probably not too healthy for me to drink every time I feel depressed, but I guess that is somethine a lot of people do if they feel down. And I know bottling it up inside is bad, but no matter how hard I try, I just can't approach people about my troubles.

Deja~vu
Focusing on something bigger than your situation or a larger picture can help you see it through a much larger and different perception.

MrCampion
sometimes letting it out can be just as bad as keeping it all inside.

Lara
Ah, yes I know that senario all too well lol
That path led me to panic attacks, vomitting through stress and blackouts (which I will also add are very dangerous because you are very vulnerable at these times and are not aware of anything going on around you!)

I didnt find keeping a diary very helpful because it became a chore for me so instead I wrote what ever was going through my head at the time and it usually took the form of poetry, quite visual and some times explicit poetry.

heres my thread where I posted some of it if anyone is interested:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f83/t330335.html

I dont know maybe it'll help some one out lol
but it isnt for the faint hearted and is quite dark.
If you have any questions please feel free to pm me.

MrCampion
Fascinating stuff. It is true to say that most geniuses use their creativity to release themselves from the burden of their inner demons, so to speak.

InnerRise
simple. how do you personally deal with mentalpain or depression. how well do you deal and what are the causative factors for it{in ur case/oppinion}. Pop some pills.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Shinde Imasu
Originally posted by InnerRise
Pop some pills.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Something tells me you don't realise how stupid and irresponsible that would be. "Popping pills" doesn't guarentee recovery. It may help sometimes, but that only depends on what's causing the depression. It shouldn't be taken as a way out of the situation. It's only one option, and it may not work.

I'm actually starting to write some music to help get my feelings out. It's helped a lot.

apoc001
If I feel depressed, I just keep doing what I should be doing, even if I don't see why. Pretty soon I get caught up in the moment and forget all about it, maybe even have a good time.

charleestokie
Anti-depressants don't actually improve your mood they just stop you from going lower so I'd never recommend that.

You should just let your hair down, have a mad night out, or give yourself something to look forward to.

Or go to the gym, cause exercise makes your body release endorphins and that improves your mood.

inimalist
man, talk about depression and suddenly everyone has a BSc in pharmacology...

~Bun Bun~
Well in my case I was very depressed but was never treated. In my opinion you never completely get over it because you still remember all the feelings and everything. But for me I kinda had an extreme reality check and then left town and had time to heal away from everything.

My best friend has also been threw pretty bad depression and used to cut as i did. And we both feel the same way, It never goes away but it helps to take control of your own mind and try focusing on better things in life.

I've giving this alot of thought the past year.

Nellinator
man, talk about depression and suddenly everyone has a BSc in pharmacology... Not to mention that some of the advice is downright wrong and potentially harmful.

Shinde Imasu
Some of it does look wrong. Especially IR's "advice". Pop some pills? Pfft.

Wålshy
drugs like weed and lsd work for depression but only until the high wears out like

Symmetric Chaos
I repress my various emotional issues. Which is stupid, I know, but I just can't bring myself to care.

Atlantis001
I keep things to myself... people don't want to hear you when you are depressed. Let time take care of it.

Shinde Imasu
Originally posted by Atlantis001
I keep things to myself... people don't want to hear you when you are depressed. Let time take care of it.

Hmm.

I guess you're partly right. Most people wouldn't give a two shillings s**t about your depression, but the ones really close to you would be rather concerned. Especially if it's a severe case, when it gets potentially life-threatening.

Deja~vu
I just tell my truth on a matter and if someone doesn't like it, then it has now become their problem. I will not take responsibility for anyone elses pain. I won't let anyone try to pin guilt on me neither. Once I see it being done to me, I point it out. Usually they don't like to hear that....but then ol well, that also not my problem.

inimalist
Originally posted by Nellinator
Not to mention that some of the advice is downright wrong and potentially harmful.

indeed

LSD helps depression? lol

frankenfeltch
What helps depression?

sex.

What happens if lack of sex is the cause of depression?

masturbate.

Atlantis001
Hmm.

I guess you're partly right. Most people wouldn't give a two shillings s**t about your depression, but the ones really close to you would be rather concerned. Especially if it's a severe case, when it gets potentially life-threatening.

Maybe. Sometimes even those who are close to you think you made it up. Perhaps its because its difficult to know when its truth or not, or they don't care so much.

There are many situations where everyone shows to be surprised about your depression when a bad thing happen.

Shinde Imasu
Maybe. Sometimes even those who are close to you think you made it up. Perhaps its because its difficult to know when its truth or not, or they don't care so much.

There are many situations where everyone shows to be surprised about your depression when a bad thing happen.

Mmm.

Really there is only one way to prove it, and that's getting a professional's opinion on the matter. I can imagine some people on these boards saying that cutting would be a fairly reliable sign, but it's not. Plenty of people cut themselves because their friends do it and they want to still be part of the group. It's really stupid, I know, but some people do do it. Cutting isn't a reliable sign of depression. It sometimes happens with depression, but not all the time.

My girlfriend has just finished therapy to help deal with depression, so I know what's it's like to both be depressed and to be close to someone who is depressed. It did shock me when I found some small scars on her wrist, and that's what got me motivated to get her to see a therapist. I had already been through it all and I knew how dangerous it was. She's doing a lot better now, and her scars (both physical and psychological) are healing well.

Nellinator
Originally posted by frankenfeltch
What helps depression?

sex.

What happens if lack of sex is the cause of depression?

masturbate. No. Sex is actually a depressant itself.
indeed

LSD helps depression? lol More like worse in fact. I hope people realize there is a reason people have to get degrees to help with these things.

inimalist
Originally posted by Nellinator
More like worse in fact. I hope people realize there is a reason people have to get degrees to help with these things.

I hear you dude, its like getting self help advice from Dr. Phil.

and the LSD thing, totally worse. Speaking as someone with more experience with psychoactive drugs than with psychology, hallucinogens are not a good idea when you are unhappy. If you want to take them, control everything you possibly can, including your emotional state beforehand.

sex is a depressant? I thought endorphins gave you a rush?

Shinde Imasu
I realise you need a degree to help with these things.

And I'm not trying to give any self-help ideas. There are a few people trying though. All I'm doing is sharing my experience.

In case you're wondering, I wasn't typing that with the idea of "Oh God, they're bashing me". I agree with your point, I'm just covering my own behind as well.

inimalist
Please, share your experiences, I, and I am sure Nell as well, were just doing the same.

I don't know (and can't be bothered to look) to see if it was you or not, but many people are very much anti-medication or anti-shrink when it comes to mental health issues.

I agree with many of the complaints against them, but honestly feel that overmedication is a problem that stems from society and not from the medical community.

For myself, and I will put words into Nell's mouth again as well, that is an entirely dangerous position to have. The only people who have any conception of what those pills are really doing are the doctors and pharmacists. And to be honest, if you are a depression sufferer, you should be on your knees praying that you can be treated with medication, the alternative is no effective treatment.

Nellinator
Please, share your experiences, I, and I am sure Nell as well, were just doing the same.

I don't know (and can't be bothered to look) to see if it was you or not, but many people are very much anti-medication or anti-shrink when it comes to mental health issues.

I agree with many of the complaints against them, but honestly feel that overmedication is a problem that stems from society and not from the medical community.

For myself, and I will put words into Nell's mouth again as well, that is an entirely dangerous position to have. The only people who have any conception of what those pills are really doing are the doctors and pharmacists. And to be honest, if you are a depression sufferer, you should be on your knees praying that you can be treated with medication, the alternative is no effective treatment. Yah, the chance of recovery without medication is terribly low even with therapy. In 99% of mental disorders I can think of, medical intervention combined with therapy proves the most effective.

As to your earlier question about sex, that was off the top of my head. A quick literature search and a pile of studies indicating it. Endorphins wear off so the effects don't last. In some cases the drop off of physical endorphins combined with psychical exhaustion can make the low even worse. I think I remember you telling me you had access to literature databases so search these if you are interested...

Adolescent depression and suicide risk - Association with sex and drug behavior
AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PREVENTIVE MEDICINE 27 (3): 224-231 OCT 2004

And then I got bored as databases are tediously time consuming.

chillmeistergen
Did someone actually advise doing LSD when depressed? Really, do not do that, I once did magic mushrooms while mildly upset and I ended up the worst drug experience ever. Stay away from hallucinogens if you're depressed.

leonheartmm
i wud say though, for very sever cases, ts better to do drugs n chill out then to kill yourself, its preferable at least. ofcourse, getting into therapy is better than doing drugs or killing yourself, so it isnt advice.

xmarksthespot
SSRIs will cure what ails ya. doped

Nellinator
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
SSRIs will cure what ails ya. doped Sometimes, although some (namely Prozac) have been known to increase suicidal tendencies.
SNRIs are preferably imo, but that's up to the prescriber.

xmarksthespot
I had to do a second year essay on Duloxetine. Ah.. memories...

...bad memories of stupid G-protein coupled receptor pharmacol.

Kinneary
In response to the topic: I ignore it and play video games, drink, hang out with friends, and eventually it goes away.

Some call it denial. I call it distraction until it doesn't really matter anymore.

chillmeistergen
i wud say though, for very sever cases, ts better to do drugs n chill out then to kill yourself, its preferable at least. ofcourse, getting into therapy is better than doing drugs or killing yourself, so it isnt advice.

Hallucinogens will not chill you out when you're depressed.

Wonderer
Well, I took the Buddhist approach: any form of suffering of yourself, be that physical or mental, is a result of your thoughts and subsequent actions (all thoughts lead to some or other form of physical manifestation - not always actions, though, but definatley manifestations or symptoms). So, even your past actions and thoughts in previous lives can still have a manifestation in this life (karma) and those you can experience as suffering today, here and now. The thing to realise and accept is to take your current suffering as punishment for any negative past thoughts and actions and to honestly try not to continue any negative thoughts and actions (really think about it: any action once started as just a thought in your mind, so be mindful of what u think).

Also, try to turn the suffering into medicine by for example imagining how much other people also suffer: say to yourself: "this is suffering, may I take this suffering for every sentient being in existence...".

Remember, the more you suffer now, the less you will suffer in the future, because your life is a process of working through all your past karma.

leonheartmm
well i suppose i must have REALLY bad karma then. officially, i feal like jumping off of a building right now, too bad suicide isnt an option, it wud be sooo much easier than this shit.

Quark_666
officially, i feal like jumping off of a building right now

let me help you...

Atlantis001
Mmm.

Really there is only one way to prove it, and that's getting a professional's opinion on the matter. I can imagine some people on these boards saying that cutting would be a fairly reliable sign, but it's not. Plenty of people cut themselves because their friends do it and they want to still be part of the group. It's really stupid, I know, but some people do do it. Cutting isn't a reliable sign of depression. It sometimes happens with depression, but not all the time.

My girlfriend has just finished therapy to help deal with depression, so I know what's it's like to both be depressed and to be close to someone who is depressed. It did shock me when I found some small scars on her wrist, and that's what got me motivated to get her to see a therapist. I had already been through it all and I knew how dangerous it was. She's doing a lot better now, and her scars (both physical and psychological) are healing well.

I agree. It is not a strange idea to me, I could think of some people... friends of mine, who would think it is cool to cut yourself.

People never show signs of depression, everyone always seems so happy, so I think it requires courage to cut yourself. Perhaps it is a bad thing, but at least it is a sign you still have courage to communicate your depression in someway. Personally, I never met someone who does that, but I always wished to know. I think its cool when you have courage to not pretend you're happy.

Shinde Imasu
I agree. It is not a strange idea to me, I could think of some people... friends of mine, who would think it is cool to cut yourself.

People never show signs of depression, everyone always seems so happy, so I think it requires courage to cut yourself. Perhaps it is a bad thing, but at least it is a sign you still have courage to communicate your depression in someway. Personally, I never met someone who does that, but I always wished to know. I think its cool when you have courage to not pretend you're happy.

I never pretend I'm happy. I show my real emotions. If I'm happy, it means I'm generally happy. If I'm sad, it means there's something eating me inside. But I agree, there are some people who do fake it, and that's kinda stupid.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>