Are you kidding me? That's just stupid!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Soljer
When you're reading a comic and you come across a particularly impressive feat - regardless of whether it's accomplished by your favorite character, least favorite, or by someone you're totally indifferent concerning - at what point do you take a step back, stop suspending disbelief and just utter to yourself "Now, that's just dumb"?

Regardless of whether it's moving planets with giant chains, or some of the weird pseudo-science explanations for the way technologies work, whatever it is.

Where does disbelief resume?

llagrok
I rarely notice it unless it's got something to do with my favourite characters.

A year ago, I had seizure if Wolverine lost a fight.

Charlotte DeBel
Wolverine winning over Shang Chi in 3-4 panels. It seemed like the overgloryfiing of some Canucks.

TricksterPriest
Alot of the older Hulk feats have me saying that. And Wolverine catching bullets.

Symmetric Chaos
Superman feats that aren't consistent from page to page.

The worst I've seen is when hears the trigger get pulled on a gun miles away, rushes full speed to save Jimmy and Lois while putting cotton in their ears to protect them from the sonic boom at the same time and yet he isn't fast enough to stop a person less than a mile away from picking up a remote and blowing up a dam three pages later

Soljer
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos

The worst I've seen is when hears the trigger get pulled on a gun miles away, rushes full speed to save Jimmy and Lois while putting cotton in their ears to protect them from the sonic boom at the same time and yet he isn't fast enough to stop a person less than a mile away from picking up a remote and blowing up a dam three pages later

laughing!

I remember that, which issue was it in?

TricksterPriest
Up up and away?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Soljer
laughing!

I remember that, which issue was it in?

Something just prior to IC. Don't remember the exact issue.

Your Friend
Superman #217

I remember that vividly myself.

grey fox
Wasn't that feat in Brazil ? I believe it was linked to a group of terrorists , one of which was a stacked brunette who later held some kind of magical parasitic rock ?

Kutulu
I literally said "are you f***ing kidding me!" when I was reading Last Planet Standing, when Reed used his machines and blasted back Living Tribunal's energies on himself.

When I got to issue 5, after reading it I literally threw the comic into the corner like a petulant child, and muttered "garbage, I can't believe I wasted MONEY ON THIS! ARGH". My fiance came in the room and asked what I was yelling about, I pointed to the comic, and she looked at me the way only a loving woman can look at a comic book nerd.

The part that got me most mad was that, some of the comic was awesome, then other parts so utterly retarded.

Kutulu
How about during Death of Superman where Superman got knocked down by a gas station blowing up? Here is the same guy that can survive planet-destroying force, getting knocked by a gas station explosion!
laughing

Bransolute

The worst I've seen is when hears the trigger get pulled on a gun miles away, rushes full speed to save Jimmy and Lois while putting cotton in their ears to protect them from the sonic boom at the same time and yet he isn't fast enough to stop a person less than a mile away from picking up a remote and blowing up a dam three pages later Jimmy pushed a signal before the trigger was pulled...

Plus, he didn't save the dam because an Omac came out of nowhere, and tackled him...

It was also more than three pages later. stick out tongue

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Bransolute
Jimmy pushed a signal before the trigger was pulled...

He still had to go find cotton-balls in the middle of a rain forest ermm

Plus, he didn't save the dam because an Omac came out of nowhere, and tackled him...

Didn't seem like he would've made it anyway.

It was also more than three pages later. stick out tongue

You're a poo-poo head smile

grey fox
Originally posted by grey fox
Wasn't that feat in Brazil ? I believe it was linked to a group of terrorists , one of which was a stacked brunette who later held some kind of magical parasitic rock ?

Symmetric Chaos

Not sure if it was Brazil but I do remember terrorists and people who were stacked. No rocks jump to mind.

Bransolute
He still had to go find cotton-balls in the middle of a rain forest ermm

Didn't seem like he would've made it anyway.

You're a poo-poo head smile He had it in his hands already. smile

He was like 10 feet away and her thumb was an inch or so away from teh trigger... he would have made it. smile

You're a dildo.

Symmetric Chaos
He had it in his hands already. smile

He was like 10 feet away and her thumb was an inch or so away from teh trigger... he would have made it. smile

You're a dildo.

smile

Dinalfos
Spidey knocking the poop out of Venom (Retarded)
Captain America dancing circles around Spidey (Hella retarded)
Batman pwning Superman (Mecha-uber-retarded)

Bransolute
Originally posted by Dinalfos
Spidey knocking the poop out of Venom (Retarded)
Batman pwning Superman (Mecha-uber-retarded) Why don't you drink some hater-ade, you hater...

Bransolute
Apoc managing to be able to fight HE.
Apoc standing up to Loki.
Apoc stabbing Ikaris.
Apoc choking Huc.
Darkseid being Eclipso's creator.
Darkseid controlling 3 billion Daxamites.
Darkseid hurting Spectre with the OE.
Darkseid beating Nabu.

TricksterPriest
Apoc managing to be able to fight HE.
Apoc standing up to Loki.
Apoc stabbing Ikaris.
Apoc choking Huc.
Darkseid being Eclipso's creator.
Darkseid controlling 3 billion Daxamites.
Darkseid hurting Spectre with the OE.
Darkseid beating Nabu.

He didn't make Eclipso. Just the black diamond known as the Heart of Darkness. She's bound to that stone.

Bransolute
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
He didn't make Eclipso. Just the black diamond known as the Heart of Darkness. She's bound to that stone. Well, I'm referring to Darkseid basically owning her.
And basically creating her current form, by her encountering the stone.

Soljer
Hey, now. I don't want to get into arguments over Apocalypse or Darkseid - we know how touchy some posters are about those characters, and how heated those arguments can become. Lets keep our personal opinions about them(and other 'hot-button' characters) out of it. Just post things that either made you laugh, or made you angry they were just so unrealistic.

Por favor, anyways.

Bransolute
Hey, now. I don't want to get into arguments over Apocalypse or Darkseid - we know how touchy some posters are about those characters, and how heated those arguments can become. Lets keep our personal opinions about them(and other 'hot-button' characters) out of it. Just post things that either made you laugh, or made you angry they were just so unrealistic.

Por favor, anyways. Apoc standing up to HE.

And Darkseid hurting Spectre. smile

Soljer
Apoc standing up to HE.

And Darkseid hurting Spectre. smile

I dunno if you were trying to be a smart ass or not - but those are totally valid if they honestly made you just go 'What the f**k??'

I just meant, I don't want people arguing the validity of something another poster found humorous - this is supposed to be entertaining, not heated. smile.

Bransolute
I dunno if you were trying to be a smart ass or not - but those are totally valid if they honestly made you just go 'What the f**k??'

I just meant, I don't want people arguing the validity of something another poster found humorous - this is supposed to be entertaining, not heated. smile. I'm cerial.

Creshosk
I'm cerial. So do you get soggy or stay crunchy in milk?

Do you come with a type of dehydrated fruit?

Are you raisin Bran? Taking after your parents who were rasing bran.

Bransolute
Originally posted by Creshosk
So do you get soggy or stay crunchy in milk?

Do you come with a type of dehydrated fruit?

Are you raisin Bran? Taking after your parents who were rasing bran. Crunchy. I stay hard in the wettest of liquids... ermm

All Bran.

No.

SevenShackles
#8 if ultimate power.. made me puke. retarded.

Soljer
Originally posted by SevenShackles
#8 if ultimate power.. made me puke. retarded.

Explanations are always appreciated - anything in particular?

Ptr_Grifin
For me it is mainly things that Superman does in general but mostly in the older comics. Same with the Hulk, and most of his earlier appearances. More recent things as well, such as pulling tectonic plates together. That is impossible even with unlimited strength.

Creshosk
Crunchy. I stay hard in the wettest of liquids... ermm

All Bran.

No. Do you have protien addatives?

You know... for the ladies...

Badabing
When you're reading a comic and you come across a particularly impressive feat - regardless of whether it's accomplished by your favorite character, least favorite, or by someone you're totally indifferent concerning - at what point do you take a step back, stop suspending disbelief and just utter to yourself "Now, that's just dumb"?

Regardless of whether it's moving planets with giant chains, or some of the weird pseudo-science explanations for the way technologies work, whatever it is.

Where does disbelief resume? The only thing in comics which bothers me is if a character gets a sudden change in, power, appearance or personality without any explanation. Everything else I chalk up to comics being works of fiction.

Bransolute
Do you have protien addatives?

You know... for the ladies... Well... I often make my own milk... not sure how much protein's in it though...

Soljer
Originally posted by Badabing
The only thing in comics which bothers me is if a character gets a sudden change in, power, appearance or personality without any explanation. Everything else I chalk up to comics being works of fiction.

Inconsistency like Sym described earlier - or just unexplained (but consistent) power ups/downs?

Badabing
Inconsistency like Sym described earlier - or just unexplained (but consistent) power ups/downs? Power ups and downs. Like in one issue *insert character* is not harmed by *insert weapon/punch/magic attack* and a few issues later they're floored by the same weapon/punch/magic attack or vice versa without so much as an explanation. Wait! You're my e-enemy! To dur with you!!!!1111 durfist

But just portraying a character's durability, strength, speed, skills, intelligence, etc without consistency in the same arc.

Soljer
Originally posted by Badabing
Power ups and downs. Like in one issue *insert character* is not harmed by *insert weapon/punch/magic attack* and a few issues later they're floored by the same weapon/punch/magic attack or vice versa without so much as an explanation. Wait! You're my e-enemy! To dur with you!!!!1111 durfist

But just portraying a character's durability, strength, speed, skills, intelligence, etc without consistency in the same arc.

Any glaring examples come to mind?

Blair Wind
Iceman having survived being teleported into matter, blown up as a human and coming back as steam, having all his matter destroyed by sentinels and coming back, and then he finally gets hurt by Mystique blowing his arm off? confused

Also, Soljer you told me to PM you so I did. Now respond already! stick out tongue

Symmetric Chaos
The very existence of a group named "The Authoriteens" almost gave me a heart attack.

Bransolute
The very existence of a group named "The Authoriteens" almost gave me a heart attack. I watched that show for the first time like a week ago...

Symmetric Chaos
I watched that show for the first time like a week ago...

They have a show? The only place I've seen them was fighting Gen13.

Bransolute
They have a show? The only place I've seen them was fighting Gen13. Wait... I'm thinking of "Minoriteens"... sorry. sad

Creshosk
Wait... I'm thinking of "Minoriteens"... sorry. sad Minoriteam.

Bransolute
Minoriteam. Ya, that's it. Either way... it's a horrible show. no expression

Creshosk
Ya, that's it. Either way... it's a horrible show. no expression Yeah, yeah it is.

TricksterPriest
Racist Frankenstein was the only joke worth repeating.

grey fox
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Racist Frankenstein was the only joke worth repeating. Wait ...what ?

SAUCE PLZ !!!!

Morridini
Never really experienced this in any of the comics I read, except for when I was reading the Batman: Red Hood TPB, Jason Todd is alive because Superboy Prime punched reality....I gave up DC then.

Creshosk
Wait ...what ?

SAUCE PLZ !!!! no expression

The source is the show Minoriteam.

Alfheim
Originally posted by Dinalfos

Dont get me started....what part of Spiderman isnt much faster than Cap, he analysed his fighting technique to a T, and is much more advanced fighter than Spiderman ....dont you understand?

Kutulu
Originally posted by Ptr_Grifin
For me it is mainly things that Superman does in general but mostly in the older comics. Same with the Hulk, and most of his earlier appearances. More recent things as well, such as pulling tectonic plates together. That is impossible even with unlimited strength.

How is it impossible even with unlimited strength? The very nature of unlimited meaning that there is no limit, means that when it comes to any physical feat it's possible, whether it's holding tectonic plates together or holding up a mountain.

I know you mentioned Superman's older comics, but him holding up quadrillions of tons with one arm is just as blatantly ridiculous, if not more so, than Hulk holding together tectonic plates (as he did in All Star). The Hulk feat would have actually placed his strength in that moment in the quintillions of tons, putting his strength and durability right up there with All-Star superman (durability due to being able to hold all of that opposing force together without being ripped in half).

WWH arc basically puts Hulks' strength and durability on levels par with All Star Superman (but not speed, so Superman would still win in a brawl).

llagrok
David recently beating up Hellion was bullshit. Hellion can restrain Wolverine but not someone who's weaker, slower and has only some of his skill?

Originally posted by Kutulu
WWH arc basically puts Hulks' strength and durability on levels par with All Star Superman (but not speed, so Superman would still win in a brawl).

shifty

manjaro
the hulk thing is always kinda tricky cuz when the hulk was holding up mountains, shattering earth sized asteroids with one punch, swimming thru the ocean fast enuff to cuase tidal waves and breaking pure adamantium statues in the mid 70s to mid 80s superman was still juggling planets, and time traveling under his own power in that same time period, but ppl are quick to dismiss his as just pre crisis feats and should never be brought up in debates, but the hulk feats can stay when in actuality tho marvel never had a reboot of its own, they were churning out stories at that time that were very similar to DC in ridiculousness, and incredibility..especially if you read some of the older thor stuff, and see how bad ass he was then you'll wonder how he managed to suffer any defeats in this day and age.....

but anyway my WTF?!?!! moment would have to be when Cap gut punched the HULK eek! at least 3 times i can recall in recent comic history and put him down, and also slamming him with the shield in the back of the head and putting him down...not to mentioned the nut kicking incident in the ultimates which also put him down...not to mention how he defeat ultimate hank pym by just doing gymnastics and having stuff fall on him sick

llagrok
Manjaro, it doesn't really count as a strength feet when he's shot through it.

But I see your point

grey fox
How is it impossible even with unlimited strength?

Because I think physics are involved.

Kutulu
Because I think physics are involved.

If you involve physics, then most comic book stories become impossible.

Galan007

Where does disbelief resume? The Bat-Kick.

Soljer
How is it impossible even with unlimited strength?

Because the rocks he was gripping onto would have crumbled in his grasp before holding the structural integrity of the rest of the planet.

Endless Mike
Most of the stuff in WWH.

Hulk beating Black Bolt, Zom/Strange, etc.

Symmetric Chaos
AM talking about how the nearby star gave him power and then the collected heroes decide to throw him into it. Never made much sense to me.

FearOfBlood
"Now, that's just dumb"?

Everytime Darkseid or Thanos win a fight against a Top Tier.

Mindship
First example that comes to mind: the Batkick.

Earliest example I can think of: when Superman and Batman would team up in the old pre-crisis days. I just couldn't accept how an ordinary mortal could possibly be of any help to a demigod (save for kicking a piece of green K away).

Endless Mike
AM talking about how the nearby star gave him power and then the collected heroes decide to throw him into it. Never made much sense to me.

Plants get power from the sun but they wouldn't do very well if you threw them into it.

lordboo
world war hulk from start to finish.

llagrok
Thanos almost getting Galactus with his telepathy

Originally posted by lordboo
world war hulk from start to finish.

Co-sign

Sabretooth beating Sasquatch and the Wendigo

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.