Read a person's mind against their will & go to jail

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cheesebits
::Thought Police: How Brain Scans Could Invade Your Private Life::

Can read thoughts, so can it "write" thoughts as well.

No more democracy, just get a gang of people who can use a hand-held device to control everyone to vote R or D.

People will be complaining about voices in their heads.

Maybe even destroy the lives of people by making them think of old flames over and over and over again.

Scary! Freaky! Strange.

Cheesebits

King Kandy
Um does this thread have any actual content, or is it just some insane rambling?

Sounds like you may be the one with the "Voices in their head."

Captain King
I'd like to see them try and read my mind.

No seriously, it's like playing Where's Waldo. If you can get past all the..

Naked...fourteen year old...

Crap.

Captain King
Yeah, no link, or anything.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Originally posted by Captain King
I'd like to see them try and read my mind.

No seriously, it's like playing Where's Waldo. If you can get past all the..

Naked...fourteen year old...

Crap.
You're not fooling anyone, Whirly.

Strangelove

dadudemon
Originally posted by Strangelove
Nice try, Czarina

Srsly?

confused

Bardock42
Judge impression > Oncewhite impression

inimalist
Wow, if he is this terrified about fMRI, lets hope he never learns about TMS

(TMS: http://www.wwnorton.com/college/psych/psychsci2/content/activities/ch04a.asp)

Strangelove
Originally posted by dadudemon
Srsly?

confused The obsession with mind control made me think of her.

leonheartmm
there are better ways of reading people's thought and influencing their actions.

Cheesebits
Originally posted by King Kandy
Um does this thread have any actual content, or is it just some insane rambling?

Sounds like you may be the one with the "Voices in their head."

No shit. Newer members can't post links yet.

Captain King
Originally posted by Cheesebits
No shit. Newer members can't post links yet.
He's got you there kandy.

inimalist
Originally posted by leonheartmm
there are better ways of reading people's thought

no there aren't

and influencing their actions.

fMRI cannot influence action

Captain King
Untill jedi are discoverd to be real, I doubt mind-control is possible.

Even jedi mind tricks were not mind control, merely extreme suggestion.

leonheartmm
Originally posted by inimalist
no there aren't

fMRI cannot influence action

yes there are. TRUTH SERUMS stick out tongue

fear can influence actions. stick out tongue

inimalist
yes there are. TRUTH SERUMS stick out tongue

truth serums do not give you the ability to read a person's mind, they make a person tell the truth (although afaik there is no real evidence that truth serums exist).

fear can influence actions. stick out tongue

yes, but fMRIs are not machines designed to induce fear into people

dadudemon
truth serums do not give you the ability to read a person's mind, they make a person tell the truth (although afaik there is no real evidence that truth serums exist).

Truth serums or rather, drugs that cause people to be more honest, do exit. They don't work on everyone. Hallucinogens can be used as "truth drugs" and for some people, so can being really drunk.

inimalist
Truth serums or rather, drugs that cause people to be more honest, do exit. They don't work on everyone. Hallucinogens can be used as "truth drugs" and for some people, so can being really drunk.

ok, ya, I'll concede that

I was talking more about the hollywood style "oh lets shoot him up with sodium pentathol" and then the person just spills all the beans almost co-opertively.

Theoretically, a TMS machine could be used to block the underlying neuromechinisms of lying, and thus be a "truth machine".

dadudemon
Theoretically, a TMS machine could be used to block the underlying neuromechinisms of lying, and thus be a "truth machine".

Tell us more of this TMS machine....

inimalist
Tell us more of this TMS machine....

http://www.wwnorton.com/college/psych/psychsci2/content/activities/ch04a.asp

be sure to watch the video

leonheartmm

yes, but fMRIs are not machines designed to induce fear into people

maybe u forgot the part where i said there are better WAYS to read people's thoughts and INFLUENCE their action.

{and jedi's are weak ass telepaths, even by real world standards}

Captain King
ok, ya, I'll concede that

I was talking more about the hollywood style "oh lets shoot him up with sodium pentathol" and then the person just spills all the beans almost co-opertively.

Sodium Pentathol just releases inhibitions, evidently you're not going to findout anything unless the person is an utter moron and would just blab about it otherwise.

Even if you were to inhibit the neurons in the brain that command to lie, someone could just refuse to answer. You would have to put them under hypnosis or something. Infact, i'm suprised interrogation experts don't try hypnosis. Or maybe they do.

leonheartmm
you can not hypnotize a person against their will. and often times, torture experts try to break the will of the person so that they can undergoe self hypnosis and be in a state where they can say a lot of the things they say. or so one viewpoint would go.

inimalist
hypnosis isn't real wink Its basically people who trust the hypnotizer and are highly susceptable to suggestion

About the TMS and lying, absolutly correct, no reason the person doesn't just not answer.

Ya, I didn't think sodium pentathol would be very effective anyways. I, for one, eagerly embrace advances in fMRI for the purpose of lie detection. I'm not a lawyer, so I'll gladly debate the constitutional morality of it, but compared to anything else we have, it has the potential to be a wonderful tool. (It is a wonderful tool, just in a different field).

dadudemon
hypnosis isn't real wink Its basically people who trust the hypnotizer and are highly susceptable to suggestion

About the TMS and lying, absolutly correct, no reason the person doesn't just not answer.

Ya, I didn't think sodium pentathol would be very effective anyways. I, for one, eagerly embrace advances in fMRI for the purpose of lie detection. I'm not a lawyer, so I'll gladly debate the constitutional morality of it, but compared to anything else we have, it has the potential to be a wonderful tool. (It is a wonderful tool, just in a different field).

Mythbusters seem to think hypnotism is real and it works on a majority of people.

It doesn't work on me....probably for the same reason that test that had the person dressed up in a Gorilla suite walk passed the screen while counting basketball passes...my brain is wired like everyone else's.

inimalist
lol, define "real" in this context. Social influence and pursuasive techniques can probably get the majority of people to act in a desired way (Milgram studies getting 2/3 of the participants to knowingly kill someone because a scientist told them) added to the fact that studies of hypnotism show it is pretty much necessary for the person to believe hypnotism works before it will work on them.

One of the profs at my school does a lot of research on hypnotism, I talked to him about it, and the best "meme" I can give you from that interaction is this: "Hypnotism is not what you think it is, it's what you think it is". Full disclosure: There is some debate about the nature of hypnotism in the literature, but I'm of the mind that it is explainable by social factors and there is not actually a hypnotic "state".

Sadako of Girth
"Hypnotism is not what you think it is, it's what you think it is".

I hate pointless statements that are designed by the sayer to give the sayer an fake air of elusive mystery, that actually work against the very idea that the rest of the foundations of communication in an education system are actually about...!

IE: Communicating ideas succinctly and successfully.

To all intents and purposes, Id say your professor needs to cut to the chase, strip away the pretentious poo-ery, and get straight to saying to his students (many of which have are actually paying for exactly that education): " Hypnotism works on the willing."

That to my mind would be more instantly edifying.

Dont forget to punch that art-house needless-spooky-language using mofo in the nose/jaw area next you see him, for wasting your valuable time and dollars.

inimalist
1) "Hypnotism works on the willing" is not an equivalent statement to "Hypnotism is not what you think it is, it's what you think it is". I would generally assume that expectation is different than will.

2) "I hate pointless statements that are designed by the sayer to give the sayer an fake air of elusive mystery" What about statements crafted for overindulgent self worth? Aren't you a clever boy!

3) You are bad ass

Sadako of Girth
1) Thats right because an equivalent would be meandering psuedo-mysticism.,, And its not even good stupifying "wow I cant comprehend that!" sorta stuff, more like calling a cup of coffee "steaming mistjuice that doesn't act like something that isn't unlike something thats not coffeee-like but may still be or be not coffee that coffee dreamt of in dream where it wondered if it truly was the coffee that dreamed of its did-or-did-not-exist itself when it was deciding whether or on it would be the coffee that would be drank as a maybe existing coffee."

But there really is the coffee, just that professor plumgob forgot to address that in all his uni-sentanced verbal masterbation..

(In other words, it was too open to being speculative to be considered a valuable teaching tool.)

My phrase directly cut simply to the existance of said coffee.

2) Yup. Cut from the same cloth of self postioned aloofness without a doubt.

3) Thank you. And you will be too, once you've slapped the originator of that own-bowel-exploring uselessness...! stick out tongue

Sadako of Girth
By the way... I hope you can apprieciate that I wasn't thinking it was you saying that phrase and I wasn't attacking you, I was attacked the lack of content in the Phraselogy of your Professor.

Do I rate myself in a similarly jumped up fashion as being clever? No also.... But I do analyse stuff presented to me as a big universal truth with an fine toothed comb like fashion.

So please don't feel like I was having a pop at you. :/

leonheartmm
k, first off, milgram didnt get any1 to beleve they had KILLED sum1 else. people in the experiment were given assurance that the person receiving the shocks would not experience any long term harm. besides, it WAS in yale, so im sure very few actually thought they were killing sum1. ofcourse there is that study about nurses being willing to give fatal injection to patients due to pressure from doctors.

anyhow, i dont agree with you. i think hypnotism certainly exists, albeit, not in the dramatic fashion as most people wud expect it to exist.

inimalist
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
1) Thats right because an equivalent would be meandering psuedo-mysticism.,, And its not even good stupifying "wow I cant comprehend that!" sorta stuff, more like calling a cup of coffee "steaming mistjuice that doesn't act like something that isn't unlike something thats not coffeee-like but may still be or be not coffee that coffee dreamt of in dream where it wondered if it truly was the coffee that dreamed of its did-or-did-not-exist itself when it was deciding whether or on it would be the coffee that would be drank as a maybe existing coffee."

But there really is the coffee, just that professor plumgob forgot to address that in all his uni-sentanced verbal masterbation..

(In other words, it was too open to being speculative to be considered a valuable teaching tool.)

My phrase directly cut simply to the existance of said coffee.

while you may have a point, your phrase was incorrect. Was the language flowery? yes, needlessly? umm, sure

However. It says nothing to the effect of "One is hypnotized only if they want to" (ie will power) but in fact talks about expectation. One could theoretically want to be hypnotized but not expect to be, and in that case, they wont be.

k, first off, milgram didnt get any1 to beleve they had KILLED sum1 else. people in the experiment were given assurance that the person receiving the shocks would not experience any long term harm. besides, it WAS in yale, so im sure very few actually thought they were killing sum1. ofcourse there is that study about nurses being willing to give fatal injection to patients due to pressure from doctors.

wrong. Period. I'd suggest you look up some of the videos made of the milgram experiment.

anyhow, i dont agree with you. i think hypnotism certainly exists, albeit, not in the dramatic fashion as most people wud expect it to exist.

I'd say it exists just as much as qualia wink

leonheartmm
i did, a while ago. it was part of the psychology class. and even though a few of the people didnt apparently "respond" after the higher voltages, however, the experimenter asked them to continue etc, n not every1 beleived they had killed sum1.

n well, yea, it exists as much as qualia. meaning it exists big grin

Sadako of Girth
Was on a late night one with that one, for sure lol

The needlessness was meant to keep it light and amuse....
Ah well, everyone misses the mark occasionally I guess.
Glad you understood what I meant though. smile

KingTech
I have never heard about such machine who can read the brain and recall the past.Though I have seen such movies where it looks possible to study any brain.Is it like telepathy ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.