NASA could miss killer asteriod heading for earth

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Cheesebits
Look up: ::NASA pressed to avert catastrophic Deep Impact ::

Scared of nukes? Forget about it. Think asteriod 1950 DC

Robtard
Originally posted by Cheesebits

How lazy have you become now, ya fat bastard, that you can't provide the link?

Pandemoniac
Doesn't matter. We're only able to survey about 10 percent of our part of the universe effectively in a time-span of several years. There might be a comet coming down on us from a dead angle right now.

Captain King
http://medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/screenshot_170702_thumb300.jpg
It's The Flood!!!

inimalist
realistically speaking, we should have about 20+ years of warning for anything large enough to cause global catastrophe.

however, it is possible that we missed something, or that our radar technology is just flawed.

dadudemon
Originally posted by inimalist
realistically speaking, we should have about 20+ years of warning for anything large enough to cause global catastrophe.

however, it is possible that we missed something, or that our radar technology is just flawed.

I think we are very safe from asteroids. All we have to do is convince cheesbits that the asteroid is just a giant cheesepuff, made just for him by Frito-Lay.

WrathfulDwarf
WOOOOOOt!!!!!!

In your face you Nostradamus skeptics!!!

Millions and Millions could die to just prove the man was right about our doom!

W00t!-w00t!

ragesRemorse
Whether NASA is aware of an asteroid headed for Earth or not, it doesnt matter. Superman exists inly in comic books. There is ABSOLUTELY nothing we could do to divert or stop the impending asteroid from crashing into Earth. We like to think we could, but we are wrong.

I would rather not know that an Asteroid is about to crash into Earth. It would be better to live out the rest of my days typically, rather than shitting my pants putting my hope into a giant ANTI asteroid ray guns.

anaconda
oh we find a way

Bardock42
Originally posted by anaconda
oh we find a way We'll just send Bruce Willis and Kurt Russel up there.

anaconda
yeah they are big headed enought to put it astray

dadudemon
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Whether NASA is aware of an asteroid headed for Earth or not, it doesnt matter. Superman exists inly in comic books. There is ABSOLUTELY nothing we could do to divert or stop the impending asteroid from crashing into Earth. We like to think we could, but we are wrong.

I would rather not know that an Asteroid is about to crash into Earth. It would be better to live out the rest of my days typically, rather than shitting my pants putting my hope into a giant ANTI asteroid ray guns.

Yeah...man, that wouldn't be a very pleasant 20 years if you spent the whole time shitting your pants.

If you could shit your pants for 20 years, maybe you could put that super power to use by using it to destroy the asteroid? confused

Super man would have nothing on you then. wink

NASA

Dont worry i wont let you guys down stick out tongue

Melcórë

*Does Count Floyd impersonation*
"Oooo....scary stuff, eh kids?" stick out tongue

BTW: It's 1950 DA. wink

BTW2: Scientists have predicted that, even with deviations from its present course, 1950 DA would only reach Earth sometime within the next eight hundred years (long after our deaths) and that it would only have a 1-in-300 chance to make impact. Barring any asteroids that we cannot find/see, 1950 DA is stated to be the greatest threat to the global community of the Earth. wink

BTW3: Like everyone else has said - don't worry about it! There'd be nothing you could do to stop it, so just live your life. wink

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by dadudemon
Yeah...man, that wouldn't be a very pleasant 20 years if you spent the whole time shitting your pants.

If you could shit your pants for 20 years, maybe you could put that super power to use by using it to destroy the asteroid? confused

Super man would have nothing on you then. wink

Actually, you know what? There are few things as satisfying as a good bowel movement. I retract my previous statement. I would welcome new enducing twenty years of good bowel movements. That would be a life fulfilled for me. I dont know anything about rocketry or astrology, so there would be absolutely nothing i could do with the news other than shit my pants. I doubt there is much anyone could do with the chaotic news. Our fates would still lay in the hands of the people whom discovered that the asteroid is heading towards us. So, other than having good bowel movements...,how wouild knowing benefit me?

inimalist
20 years with the impending doom of the planet...

I think we could do it...

GO MAN!!!!!!

Alliance
NASA could miss killer asteroid heading for Earth

DUH. We've known this since we've had a space age.

dadudemon
Actually, you know what? There are few things as satisfying as a good bowel movement. I retract my previous statement. I would welcome new enducing twenty years of good bowel movements. That would be a life fulfilled for me. I dont know anything about rocketry or astrology, so there would be absolutely nothing i could do with the news other than shit my pants. I doubt there is much anyone could do with the chaotic news. Our fates would still lay in the hands of the people whom discovered that the asteroid is heading towards us. So, other than having good bowel movements...,how wouild knowing benefit me?

laughing

Dude, you just went up 5 points on the dadudemon "coolness scale".

but anyway, yeah, I agree, someone could either shit themselves and worry themselves to death, or try to make the best of the 20 years. (Main' babies, earnin' degrees, etc.)

ragesRemorse
laughing

Dude, you just went up 5 points on the dadudemon "coolness scale".

but anyway, yeah, I agree, someone could either shit themselves and worry themselves to death, or try to make the best of the 20 years. (Main' babies, earnin' degrees, etc.)

Holy crap...5 points. This is going to be a good week.

How evil would that be to make babies knowing an asteroid is going to destroy humanity in a few years laughing out loud

silver_tears
It would be better to live out the rest of my days typically, rather than shitting my pants putting my hope into a giant ANTI asteroid ray guns.

Why the heck would you like to live out your life doing mediocre everyday things, wouldn't you rather do special things before you die? confused

botankus
Originally posted by silver_tears
Why the heck would you like to live out your life doing mediocre everyday things, wouldn't you rather do special things before you die? confused

Because the odds of him inventing this super-duper ray gun are slimmer than an out-of-control asteroid wiping out the earth.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by silver_tears

I do not welcome monotony, but it is apart of life. I would prefer to be able to find the motivation and courage within myself to invest in extraordinary activities, rather than being influenced to do so by the end of the world

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by botankus
Because the odds of him inventing this super-duper ray gun are slimmer than an out-of-control asteroid wiping out the earth.

that too wink

Admiral Akbar
Couldn't we use nukes to deflect the course of the asteroid? I don't mean have the nukes impact the asteroid forcing to explode into smaller pieces, but knock it off its trajectory by having a timed blast occur in front or to the side of an asteroid. I heard this is a plausible method, so I see no reason for concern.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Admiral Akbar
Couldn't we use nukes to deflect the course of the asteroid? I don't mean have the nukes impact the asteroid forcing to explode into smaller pieces, but knock it off its trajectory by having a timed blast occur in front or to the side of an asteroid. I heard this is a plausible method, so I see no reason for concern.

Ive heard this theory debated many times. Although some believe, changing an asteroids impact route is possible. Others believe its an impossibility with the resaources we currently posses. Both sides agree, it all depends on the size of the asteroid.

think about it this way. There is a giant rock the size of alaska hurling towards us, travelling at speeps up to 40,000 miles an hour. Do you think an concussion blast from our biggest bombs would sway something like that off its course, more importantly, do you think we could be so percise? Nasa did land on an asteroid, but it was travelling at 2000 miles an hour

Admiral Akbar
Ive heard this theory debated many times. Although some believe, changing an asteroids impact route is possible. Others believe its an impossibility with the resaources we currently posses. Both sides agree, it all depends on the size of the asteroid.

think about it this way. There is a giant rock the size of alaska hurling towards us, travelling at speeps up to 40,000 miles an hour. Do you think an the concussion blast of our biggest bomb would sway something like that off its course, more importantly, do you think we could be so percise? Nasa did land on an asteroid, but it was travelling at 2000 miles an hour

I agree that precision is definetly key in that case. But think about it this way. We have now until the asteroid appears to run simulations and get it right. Yes real life is different than a simulation, but it's close enough.
As for the size of the asteroid, I agree that it would be difficult to deflect its course, especially if it's the size of Alaska. But if we all (the world) put our efforts together and do sequential timed explosives, one after another after another, using up more than just one nuke it would eventually deviate the course of the asteroid, and even something like a few inches might be enough to knock it off its course. That's assuming of course it's far enough away from Earth so Earth's gravity isn't a factor.

dadudemon
I agree that precision is definetly key in that case. But think about it this way. We have now until the asteroid appears to run simulations and get it right. Yes real life is different than a simulation, but it's close enough.
As for the size of the asteroid, I agree that it would be difficult to deflect its course, especially if it's the size of Alaska. But if we all (the world) put our efforts together and do sequential timed explosives, one after another after another, using up more than just one nuke it would eventually deviate the course of the asteroid, and even something like a few inches might be enough to knock it off its course. That's assuming of course it's far enough away from Earth so Earth's gravity isn't a factor.

A few very small fractions of a degree would be enough to knock it out of Earths trajectory...then there is the elliptical orbit that the asteroid has and our bomb blasting could cause the asteroid to wrap back around and be on another collision course. (Though not nearly as likely as the first collision trajectory.)...depending on how far away the asteroid is.

ragesRemorse

Yeah, i think its possible, just highly unlikely. Im not sold on the idea that nuclear concussion would have any kind of impact on such a large mass travelling with so much momentum. I think it would also depend on Earths orbit relative to the sun at the time.

Admiral Akbar
A few very small fractions of a degree would be enough to knock it out of Earths trajectory...then there is the elliptical orbit that the asteroid has and our bomb blasting could cause the asteroid to wrap back around and be on another collision course. (Though not nearly as likely as the first collision trajectory.)...depending on how far away the asteroid is.

Yeah, which I said was assuming Earth's gravity is not a factor. If it was, then that would be a different problem all together.

inimalist
Yeah, i think its possible, just highly unlikely. Im not sold on the idea that nuclear concussion would have any kind of impact on such a large mass travelling with so much momentum. I think it would also depend on Earths orbit relative to the sun at the time.

many asteroids are of such a low density that an explosion would have little if any impact on it (maybe reducing its size...)

NASA has some better ideas than missiles, but they are so theoretical and expensive that we wouldn't see them until the asteroid shows up.

I don't think there is a "cure all" for asteroids. Each one will probably pose a unique problem

Admiral Akbar

Yeah, it might be unlikely, but I believe that continous concussions might be enough to change the asteroids momentum, after all, like dadudemon mentioned it only takes a very small fraction of a degree to change the course of an asteroid. But of course there are many factors and uncertainties that you have to take into account, like the actual size, mass, rotational speed even..

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by inimalist
many asteroids are of such a low density that an explosion would have little if any impact on it (maybe reducing its size...)

NASA has some better ideas than missiles, but they are so theoretical and expensive that we wouldn't see them until the asteroid shows up.

I don't think there is a "cure all" for asteroids. Each one will probably pose a unique problem

Well yes, if you have a direct collision, but if you detonate the nuke in front of or to the side of an asteroid the expanding force may be enough to change its course. I don't mean one nuke, we are talking about dozens, perhaps more.
And yes, there are those asteroids that would suck up the explosion and impact as if they were sponges.
To deal with that threat I think NASA suggested that they could build a giant solar collector and use the panels to deflect the light at the asteroid. I believe they hope to use it as a mirror where the light would focus at a single point and slowly incinerate the asteroid forcing it to lose its mass.

Don't quote this for evidence though, It's been some time since I read about how NASA hopes to deal with asteroid threats, but I know that they have the solar panel idea in mind.

~Forever*Alone~
im not worried about it.....

Admiral Akbar
Maybe because you won't live long enough to actually experience the threat smile but don't you care about your children, and your childrens children?

~Forever*Alone~
well thats never gonna happen.... im such a despisable person, who would have children with me?

Robtard
Originally posted by ~Forever*Alone~
well thats never gonna happen.... im such a despisable person, who would have children with me?

Despicable'ness can easily be outweighed by hotness... do you have a great ass, lovely breast or gorgeous D.S.L.? Post a pic.

You just may be able to have ancestors, that could be killed by this rock, in 800+ years.

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by Robtard
Despicable'ness can easily be outweighed by hotness... do you have a great ass, lovely breast or gorgeous D.S.L.? Post a pic.

You just may be able to have ancestors, that could be killed by this rock, in 800+ years.

laughing

ragesRemorse
Yeah, it might be unlikely, but I believe that continous concussions might be enough to change the asteroids momentum, after all, like dadudemon mentioned it only takes a very small fraction of a degree to change the course of an asteroid. But of course there are many factors and uncertainties that you have to take into account, like the actual size, mass, rotational speed even..

yeah, your right. I can only hope i live to see something like this.

Admiral Akbar
yeah, your right. I can only hope i live to see something like this.

Same here.

Sadako of Girth
"Nasa could miss killer asteroid heading for earth"

"The sun could one day goe nova"

"One day you will recieve a large electric bill"

"One day you could lose your erection"

"One day you may not have any money"

"One day you may buy shares and then your stock may fall"

"One day you may ask someone on a date and they might refuse"

"one day your child may stop breathing"

"cancer, cancer, cancer"

"one day you may no longer be aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive"

Wow. Talk about the good-news channel.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
"Nasa could miss killer asteroid heading for earth"

"The sun could one day goe nova"

"One day you will recieve a large electric bill"

"One day you could lose your erection"

"One day you may not have any money"

"One day you may buy shares and then your stock may fall"

"One day you may ask someone on a date and they might refuse"

"one day your child may stop breathing"

"cancer, cancer, cancer"

"one day you may no longer be aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive"

Wow. Talk about the good-news channel. messed blink THANKS ALOT ASS HOLE! like i didnt already have enough to worry about mad mad mad

Sadako of Girth
Exactly.

The whole tone set out by the thread title.

There ARE more immediate concerns/griefs in our own lives that we can actually do something about rather than a rock that may/may not hit, that we personally can do **** all about.

Pure scaremongery.

Alpha Centauri
I swear it's all been disproved anyway, or that it's a one in 45 million chance.

-AC

KingTech
In my opinion there is a huge possibility that NASA can miss killer asteroid heading for earth.NASA has not yet been able to explore universe completely.

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by KingTech
In my opinion there is a huge possibility that NASA can miss killer asteroid heading for earth.NASA has not yet been able to explore universe completely.

Umm..what does exploring the universe have to do with shooting down and asteroid?

King Kandy
Originally posted by KingTech
NASA however can form grammaticaly correct sentences. You cannot.

dadudemon
Originally posted by King Kandy
NASA however can form grammaticaly correct sentences. You cannot.

But they forget to employ mathematical conversion factors for trajectories. roll eyes (sarcastic)

ragesRemorse
ok ok, i think we are focusing to much on mass extinction size asteroids. We should be worrying about the possibly fatal cosmic gases that smaller asteroids may emit over our planet after crashing. What we gonna do bout that shit?

Mark Question
Earth, it was fun while it lasted.

dadudemon
ok ok, i think we are focusing to much on mass extinction size asteroids. We should be worrying about the possibly fatal cosmic gases that smaller asteroids may emit over our planet after crashing. What we gonna do bout that shit?

What gases are you talking about?

Lemon Meringue

Asterods kiled the dinasurs.

Cheesebits
Umm..what does exploring the universe have to do with shooting down and asteroid?

In case they miss shotting down the asteriod 'cause of a hangover or argument with the babe at home.

We need a plain B in case they miss the asteroid for whatever reasons.

Hitch a ride in the universe or something, our minds will survive but may remember the trauma of it all if/when we land on a new place.

We may not be accepted there, made slaves, or masters.

Plain B might suck.

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by Lemon Meringue
Asterods kiled the dinasurs.

Yes they did. Very good!

Admiral Akbar
In case they miss shotting down the asteriod 'cause of a hangover or argument with the babe at home.

We need a plain B in case they miss the asteroid for whatever reasons.

Hitch a ride in the universe or something, our minds will survive but may remember the trauma of it all if/when we land on a new place.

We may not be accepted there, made slaves, or masters.

Plain B might suck.

Umm..I see..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.