why do Mexicans park their cars on their front lawns?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Evil Dead
any serious ideas? It has to be some sort of cultural thing......'cause 90% of them do it. why?

30 Mexicans live in a house down the road from me. No garage but a driveway that could fit three cars easily. They have a white pick-up and a maroon van......both parked horizontally, bumper to bumper on their lawn directly infront of their front door. Driveway empty.

Mexicans are known to be hard workers so I don't think it's that they are too lazy to walk the extra 15 feet from the driveway to the front door.

Nothing racist...it's not a good or a bad thing to do. It's unusual and I just can't wrap my head around why people would do this.

Secretus
They think there cars will be stolen?

Depends how many nigga's and spics live next to them.

Captain REX
I don't see that in my neighborhood. Then again, not many large front lawns.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Evil Dead
any serious ideas? It has to be some sort of cultural thing......'cause 90% of them do it. why?

30 Mexicans live in a house down the road from me. No garage but a driveway that could fit three cars easily. They have a white pick-up and a maroon van......both parked horizontally, bumper to bumper on their lawn directly infront of their front door. Driveway empty.

Mexicans are known to be hard workers so I don't think it's that they are too lazy to walk the extra 15 feet from the driveway to the front door.

Nothing racist...it's not a good or a bad thing to do. It's unusual and I just can't wrap my head around why people would do this.

They saw red necks doing it in Texas when they crossed the border so I guess they thought it was normal for Americans to do it. confused

One thing lead to another and that became a cultural thing I guess?

Schecter
maybe they dont want to get oil stains on the driveway? *shrug*

lord xyz
They don't use the driveway or curb? That's stupid.

Bardock42
Originally posted by lord xyz
They don't use the driveway or curb? That's stupid. Why?

lord xyz
Originally posted by Bardock42
Why? Forget I said curb. I meant pavement.

Afro Cheese
I live in an area with a lot of mexicans and i never really see this happen, though i always hear the stereotype.

The only thing different about mexicans and their cars around here is they seem to love putting stickers on their back windshield that spell their last name in caligraphy text.

Bardock42
Forget I said curb. I meant pavement.

That's not really the answer to my question. Could you go back and answer that instead?

Kelly_Bean

Actually around here, and I live in a very very large neighborhood, any Mexican people that live back here park normally, Black people park right out on the road. Your question isn't very valid considering it's just different depending on area I suppose....

...must be in the water. stick out tongue

NASA
We have alot of Mexicans here in London and hate it when people come up to me and start speaking Spanish to me coz they think im a Latino.

And what wrong with they way they park their cars?

Bicnarok
Maybe they are inferior beings and therefore a bit on the thick side.

lord xyz
That's not really the answer to my question. Could you go back and answer that instead? You're supposed to use the driveway or side of the road.

Bicnarok
Why not go round and ask a few of your neighbors why they do it.

dadudemon
They don't use the driveway or curb? That's stupid.

Why?

Forget I said curb. I meant pavement.

That's not really the answer to my question. Could you go back and answer that instead?

You're supposed to use the driveway or side of the road.

Bardock, you're an idiot. laughing

Bardock42
Originally posted by dadudemon
Bardock, you're an idiot. laughing How?

You're supposed to use the driveway or side of the road. Who supposes that? Apparently not Mexicans. And how is it (and I quote) "stupid" to park them there? Last time I checked doing something against the norm without negative effects was not "stupid".

lord xyz
How?

Who supposes that? Apparently not Mexicans. And how is it (and I quote) "stupid" to park them there? Last time I checked doing something against the norm without negative effects was not "stupid". Ermm, the driveway is there for your car. Not using it for your car is stupid. Why don't you just get a microwave then defrost everything in your oven? It's stupid and insane.

Bardock42
Ermm, the driveway is there for your car. Not using it for your car is stupid. Why don't you just get a microwave then defrost everything in your oven? It's stupid and insane. Actually there's probably not much disadvantage if you don't use the driveway to park your cars. You can use it for multiple other things. It's just a matter of preference. The microwave analogy is severely flawed. You provide no reason whatsoever why it is "stupid". Your personal prejudice are the only reason why you think it is.

BackFire
Why do germans kill peopel and rape little girls? Who knows? They just do. Doesn't matter.

lord xyz
Actually there's probably not much disadvantage if you don't use the driveway to park your cars. You can use it for multiple other things. It's just a matter of preference. The microwave analogy is severely flawed. You provide no reason whatsoever why it is "stupid". Your personal prejudice are the only reason why you think it is. Oh, what are these other things? Seriously, you use the drive to park your car, not your front garden. That is the fundamental basis of this argument.

Bardock42
Oh, what are these other things? Seriously, you use the drive to park your car, not your front garden. That is the fundamental basis of this argument. You do that. Others don't. You have to bring arguments why it is stupid to not do it. "Everyone else does it" is not a good argument. That's a stupid teenager way of looking at things.

BackFire
Driving on the lawn rips up grass and flowers.

Suppose I could see it as a very makeshift way of mowing a lawn...

Afro Cheese
Nah, if there's one thing mexicans do well it's landscaping.

dadudemon
How?

Who supposes that? Apparently not Mexicans. And how is it (and I quote) "stupid" to park them there? Last time I checked doing something against the norm without negative effects was not "stupid".

How?

With statements like this:

Actually there's probably not much disadvantage if you don't use the driveway to park your cars. You can use it for multiple other things. It's just a matter of preference. The microwave analogy is severely flawed. You provide no reason whatsoever why it is "stupid". Your personal prejudice are the only reason why you think it is.

You do that. Others don't. You have to bring arguments why it is stupid to not do it. "Everyone else does it" is not a good argument. That's a stupid teenager way of looking at things.

You're being such a dumbass that it hurts. sad

Why the f*ck do you think it is called a DRIVEWAY? Let me say that again....DRIVEWAY

What kind of way do cars drive on? A DRIVE WAY!!!!! Hooray!!!!

If you don't park you car in the car garage, then you park it next to the curb or in the driveway.

Parking it anywhere else, such as your lawn or your neighbors driveway, isn't the best of choices.

For the same reason backfire stated, it tears your f*ckin' lawn up. DUH!!!!sombrero2

lord xyz
You do that. Others don't. You have to bring arguments why it is stupid to not do it. "Everyone else does it" is not a good argument. That's a stupid teenager way of looking at things. I never said that. You're not really listening, are you? My point is the drive is made to park your car. If someone doesn't use it for it's purpose, they're stupid. Hence the microwave analogy.

Bardock42
I never said that. You're not really listening, are you? My point is the drive is made to park your car. If someone doesn't use it for it's purpose, they're stupid. Hence the microwave analogy.

Driveways are designed to be a good place to park your car. If for whatever reason, there are better places (i.e. your front lawn), how is it stupid to not use the driveway for parking your cars just because it was designed for that purpose.

How?

Why the f*ck do you think it is called a DRIVEWAY? Let me say that again....DRIVEWAY

If you don't park you car in the car garage, then you park it next to the curb or in the driveway.

Parking it anywhere else, such as your lawn or your neighbors driveway, isn't the best of choices.

For the same reason backfire stated, it tears your f*ckin' lawn up. DUH!!!!sombrero2

I'd appreciate if you of all people would not call me stupid, the irony might manifest and destroy the universe.

If you don't see what point I am making I am sorry, but it is certainly not my fault, it is spelt out in most simple English multiple times. I will repeat it for you though, cause that's how nice I am.

Though a driveway is designed to park your cars on, it is not a requisite. If for whatever reasons the driveway is not the best place for you to park your cars you have no obligation to park there and you are certainly not stupid for not doing it. What you guys keep saying is that it is not standard, yes, most people use their driveways. You also say the driveway is meant for it (though you accept that you can park on the street (odd). But the point is that if there are reasons why they prefer to park on the lawn it is not stupid, not everyone values an English lawn as much as you guys. Some people might value the shorter way, or they think the car gets less damaged by softer grounding, or they want their pavement for other activities, etc.

Also, even if you can spell DRIVE WAY really boldly, it doesn't make your point better, even if it was called parkway it is not necessarily the best option to park your car.

I'm sorry, but the point is that xyz came in, read half a sentence and decided to call something stupid for no reason at all. So I called him on it. It's not stupid, just different.

chillmeistergen
Probably just do it for a laugh, I would.

anaconda
parking on the lawn if you have a drive way is the same as taking a dump on the porch instead of the toilet

Bardock42
Originally posted by anaconda
parking on the lawn if you have a drive way is the same as taking a dump on the porch instead of the toilet Just that it isn't.

anaconda
yeah they are cause they are both stupid

inimalist
parking on the lawn if you have a drive way is the same as taking a dump on the porch instead of the toilet

yes, but if the person prefers to dump on the porch, why are they stupid for doing it?

Should I call you stupid for differences taste or use of objects we may have?

Kelly_Bean
How?

hanuts You make me laugh so much that it hurts...

...and so does your sig.

Bardock42
yeah they are cause they are both stupid

J-just that it isn't.

Originally posted by Kelly_Bean

...and so does your sig.

No surprise there.

anaconda
beside the fact that it would be a great health risk?
whatever rocks your both, I use objects for the purpose they were designed for

you just park on the lawn Bardock, and hope it wont rain to heavy

Bardock42

you just park on the lawn Bardock, and hope it wont rain to heavy

But you wouldn't have a problem parking on the street?

Kelly_Bean
J-just that it isn't.

No surprise there.
Your weight's not a surprise. smile

...oh wait, yes it is.

anaconda
actually I would, I would park in the asigned places for cars to park

Bardock42

...oh wait, yes it is.

Original and witty, a true Kelly.

actually I would, I would park in the asigned places for cars to park

Well, there are no asigned places on private property though.

chillmeistergen

...oh wait, yes it is.

I really see no need for that.

anaconda
the driveway is what then

chillmeistergen
A piece of cement.

anaconda
not nessesarily

Bardock42
not nessesarily A part of the property to be used in the way the owner wants?

anaconda
still would be the asigned space for the car to park though

Bardock42
still would be the asigned space for the car to park though A-assigned by who?

Certainly not by people that prefer to park on the street or lawn.

inimalist

ok, so in your world unhealthy is stupid?

I hope, for the sake of your argument, that you are wearing latex gloves and an anti-bacterial mask.

Yes, and all the power to you.

But, as the ineffable Sarte would say, objects have no intrinsic use, and only the use given them by people.

As soon as the lawn that someone owns is used as a place to park their car, that becomes its use.

Unless you think you can propose an argument that supposes that there is a abstract quality of "lawnliness" which presupposes the use of all grass on private property...

Afro Cheese
Somehow a racial joke has turned into a serious debate on what the purpose of a driveway is. Only on KMC.

anaconda
point is if you have a driveway it seems pointless to park on the lawn

creating unhealthy situations are stupid, the ordinary and day to day bacteria flow one encounter wouldnt be anything compare to what would have followed those who choose to use their lawn as a place to take a dump

a driveway is asigned as a place to park your car by the ones who built it, the original idea behind a driveway, if people feel the driveway is better left open as a free space and park on the lawn, feel free. To me that would still be stupid

Bardock42
a driveway is asigned as a place to park your car by the ones who built it, the original idea behind a driveway, if people feel the driveway is better left open as a free space and park on the lawn, feel free. To me that would still be stupid

Why is it stupid to you?

anaconda
becasue the driveway serves a purpose, a place to park the car, the lawn serves no purpouse other than maybe if taken care of make the surrounding area of the house look neat.

Bardock42
becasue the driveway serves a purpose, a place to park the car, the lawn serves no purpouse other than maybe if taken care of make the surrounding area of the house look neat. So, they make something that, in your opinion, has no purpose, have a purpose (parking their cars) and keep something that has a purpose in your opinion open for other uses....and that's stupid.

Our definitions seem to differ. That would actually count as smart in mine.

lil bitchiness

Because Mexicans have the ''parkonthefrontlawn'' gene. 83.4% of them have an active gene, while 68.9% have over active gene.

60% of people know that. Thats why 90% of them do it.

Pure science.

inimalist
point is if you have a driveway it seems pointless to park on the lawn

lol, point is, you totally dodged my point.

The argument you are making is hinging on a presupposition that you fail to address or justify. You suppose that there are predetermined uses of things, that even the choice of the owner of said thing cannot change.

The use of someones property is defined by how they use it, not by some abstract universal quality of the object itself.

A driveway is only for parking on so long as the owner uses it for parking on. For instance, I could buy a TV to use as a coat stand. It is not stupid, but in fact just taste.

creating unhealthy situations are stupid, the ordinary and day to day bacteria flow one encounter wouldnt be anything compare to what would have followed those who choose to use their lawn as a place to take a dump

ok, lets assume you are correct for the moment:

You give some justification for why it would be stupid to poop on your own lawn.

Provide something equivalent for why it is stupid to park on your lawn.

chillmeistergen
They could use their driveway to practice basketball on. There's a separate use for you.

lord xyz
Driveways are designed to be a good place to park your car. If for whatever reason, there are better places (i.e. your front lawn), how is it stupid to not use the driveway for parking your cars just because it was designed for that purpose.

I'd appreciate if you of all people would not call me stupid, the irony might manifest and destroy the universe.

If you don't see what point I am making I am sorry, but it is certainly not my fault, it is spelt out in most simple English multiple times. I will repeat it for you though, cause that's how nice I am.

Though a driveway is designed to park your cars on, it is not a requisite. If for whatever reasons the driveway is not the best place for you to park your cars you have no obligation to park there and you are certainly not stupid for not doing it. What you guys keep saying is that it is not standard, yes, most people use their driveways. You also say the driveway is meant for it (though you accept that you can park on the street (odd). But the point is that if there are reasons why they prefer to park on the lawn it is not stupid, not everyone values an English lawn as much as you guys. Some people might value the shorter way, or they think the car gets less damaged by softer grounding, or they want their pavement for other activities, etc.

Also, even if you can spell DRIVE WAY really boldly, it doesn't make your point better, even if it was called parkway it is not necessarily the best option to park your car.

I'm sorry, but the point is that xyz came in, read half a sentence and decided to call something stupid for no reason at all. So I called him on it. It's not stupid, just different. You think the front lawn's better? Well, let me tell you that...it isn't. You know, dirt and grass. Infact, the driveway was made so we don't have to use the lawn.

But you wouldn't have a problem parking on the street? Only when you can't use the drive. You know, if it's full or not there.

chillmeistergen
So is it wrong for them to 'shoot hoops', on the driveway? Because that's in no way what it was designed for.

OB1-adobe

why do 90% of them wear a mustache?

Bardock42
You think the front lawn's better? Well, let me tell you that...it isn't. You know, dirt and grass. Infact, the driveway was made so we don't have to use the lawn.

Only when you can't use the drive. You know, if it's full or not there. You just accept it for no good reason. The driveway is just a tool, if it doesn't suit the purpose as well as you want and the lawn does better, then it is in no way stupid to use it.

lord xyz
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
So is it wrong for them to 'shoot hoops', on the driveway? Because that's in no way what it was designed for. Not wrong.

You just accept it for no good reason. The driveway is just a tool, if it doesn't suit the purpose as well as you want and the lawn does better, then it is in no way stupid to use it. The lawn isn't better. Driveways are there to park your car, that's the purpose. If you don't understand the purpose of a driveway there's no point discussing with you. If you believe the yard is better, explain why, and then tell us what we could use the driveway for. You're being a tard to annoy me. Either you will ignore this and direct the debate to a different issue, or you will never mention it again. Either way I win.

chillmeistergen
Not wrong.

Stupid?

lord xyz
Stupid? Well, yeah. Who the hell uses one tool for the purpose of another tool you already have?

chillmeistergen
Ever stood on a chair, to change a light bulb?

Oh, and the answer to your question is - because it works.

lord xyz
Ever stood on a chair, to change a light bulb? Yeah, when I don't have anything else to stand on, or can't be bothered to look.

Well, yeah. Who the hell uses one tool for the purpose of another tool you already have?

Bardock42
Yeah, when I don't have anything else to stand on, or can't be bothered to look. Ever used your fingernail to get something out between your teeth, even though you could get dental floss or a toothpick you know that the fingernail is just more useful for your purpose? If not, who cares, there are situations and people are not stupid just because they don't do it the ordinary or your way.

lord xyz
Ever used your fingernail to get something out between your teeth, even though you could get dental floss or a toothpick you know that the fingernail is just more useful for your purpose? If not, who cares, there are situations and people are not stupid just because they don't do it the ordinary or your way. lol, you mean the smart way? The drive is easier and better, that's why it was invented in the first place. You don't understand why people use it, you're an idiot. You think it's just as smart to use the garden, you're horribly confused.

Bardock42
lol, you mean the smart way? The drive is easier and better, that's why it was invented in the first place. You don't understand why people use it, you're an idiot. You think it's just as smart to use the garden, you're horribly confused.

Man, I wish people that argue with me would use "arguments" and "logic" sometimes...but it just doesn't happen.

chillmeistergen
lol, you mean the smart way? The drive is easier and better, that's why it was invented in the first place. You don't understand why people use it, you're an idiot. You think it's just as smart to use the garden, you're horribly confused.

Why does it have to be smart or stupid? Why can't it just be something some people do? Being stupid would be trying to change the channel on your T.V with a hammer, or allowing you to have access to the internet. Parking a car on grass, is not stupid.

lord xyz
Man, I wish people that argue with me would use "arguments" and "logic" sometimes...but it just doesn't happen. You mean, I'm right, once again.

lord xyz
Why does it have to be smart or stupid? Why can't it just be something some people do? Being stupid would be trying to change the channel on your T.V with a hammer, or allowing you to have access to the internet. Parking a car on grass, is not stupid. Yeah. The drive's better. Don't understand why, you're stupid.

Bardock42
You mean, I'm right, once again. No, you aren't and you never were when arguing against me.

You made a stupid comment and now try to defend it for your own stubborn reasons. I am pretty sure you realize it is not stupid to use your property in the way it suits you most, but you started arguing and you'll sure as hell not admit that you were wrong.

lord xyz
No, you aren't and you never were when arguing against me.

You made a stupid comment and now try to defend it for your own stubborn reasons. I am pretty sure you realize it is not stupid to use your property in the way it suits you most, but you started arguing and you'll sure as hell not admit that you were wrong. I will admit it when you tell me why I'm wrong. So far you've said I'm wrong because "Everyone else does it" is not a good argument. I agree, and that wasn't my point. My point was the drive is better, and they have a drive to use, therefore, it's stupid. Why don't you listen to me?

chillmeistergen
Yeah. The drive's better. Don't understand why, you're stupid.

Why is it better? It won't do anything detrimental to your car parking on the grass. Just because something was specifically designed for a purpose, doesn't mean it should always be used for that purpose. For example, in my room I use a chair as a T.V stand, you consider this lunacy, I'm sure.

Bardock42
I will admit it when you tell me why I'm wrong. So far you've said I'm wrong because "Everyone else does it" is not a good argument. I agree, and that wasn't my point. My point was the drive is better, and they have a drive to use, therefore, it's stupid. Why don't you listen to me? I do, you imbecile. I covered that point multiple times.

I explained to you how there are cases where it is better to park on the lawn. Why they might do it. And how it can be rationally explained.

- You need the driveway for other reasons (basketball, ping pong, BBQs, etc.)
- You feel a soft underground is better for your car to stand on.
- You can enter the car faster as it is closer
- You can fit more on the lawn
- You like to exit from the garage
Multiple other reasons

Will you now admit, that it is not always stupid to park your car on the lawn?

lord xyz
Why is it better? It won't do anything detrimental to your car parking on the grass. Just because something was specifically designed for a purpose, doesn't mean it should always be used for that purpose. For example, in my room I use a chair as a T.V stand, you consider this lunacy, I'm sure. Not if that's your best option.

The garden will make your car dirty and is harder to drive on.

chillmeistergen
Not if that's your best option.

The garden will make your car dirty and is harder to drive on.

Of course it's not harder to drive on, this isn't off roading, this is a lawn. It'll also stop you getting flat spots if you park it on the lawn.

lord xyz
Of course it's not harder to drive on, this isn't off roading, this is a lawn. It'll also stop you getting flat spots if you park it on the lawn. Not harder? What if it rains? All that sludge will make it harder. And dirt and grass does slow you down. Might be minimal but still does.

Also, I notice that you haven't said anything about it making it dirtier, or my general claim that the drive is better. Probably because, the drive IS better. Therefore, using your garden instead, is stupid.

chillmeistergen
Not harder? What if it rains? All that sludge will make it harder. And dirt and grass does slow you down. Might be minimal but still does.

It really wouldn't make it that much harder. Plus if you're freeing up space you need and getting benefits from it, then it doesn't matter. It's their lawn as well by the way, they're not racing on it, it won't slow them down in any way, because car have a thing called an accelerator.

lord xyz
It really wouldn't make it that much harder. Plus if you're freeing up space you need and getting benefits from it, then it doesn't matter. It's their lawn as well by the way, they're not racing on it, it won't slow them down in any way, because car have a thing called an accelerator. But the drive is still better. And that whole to free up space stuff is bullshit aswell.

Rather than use X for Y's purpose and Y for another purpose, why don't you use Y for Y's purpose and X for another purpose?

Bardock42
Interesting how xyz disregarded my post.

chillmeistergen
But the drive is still better. And that whole to free up space stuff is bullshit aswell.

Rather than use X for Y's purpose and Y for another purpose, why don't you use Y for Y's purpose and X for another purpose?

I've driven cars on grass quite a few times, it doesn't really affect the drive much at all, I don't think you've ever driven.

Because parking a car on grass still works, playing basketball on grass doesn't.

Devil King
I think it has less to do with being Mexican, and more to do with being poor.

lord xyz
Interesting how xyz disregarded my post. I did not see it. KMC has that problem when you post and refresh.

I do, you imbecile. I covered that point multiple times.

I explained to you how there are cases where it is better to park on the lawn. Why they might do it. And how it can be rationally explained.

- You need the driveway for other reasons (basketball, ping pong, BBQs, etc.)
Will you now admit, that it is not always stupid to park your car on the lawn? You never mentioned them before. Also, those reasons would be fine, but are only circumstantial and rare. Mostly, the drive is better.

- You feel a soft underground is better for your car to stand on. How?
- You can enter the car faster as it is closer Last time I checked the drive was in a more apropiate place. If there's a case where it's not, I pretty much wouldn't get the house.
- You can fit more on the lawn This doesn't explain why you can't use the drive.
- You like to exit from the garage This one I just don't understand.

lord xyz
I've driven cars on grass quite a few times, it doesn't really affect the drive much at all, I don't think you've ever driven.

Because parking a car on grass still works, playing basketball on grass doesn't. Okay, that would be fine. The drive is still better though. And I don't think all the mexicans don't do it so they can play basketball on their drive. Actually, why don't they use a patio? Or move the car? Or wait for the car to go? It's still stupid, except in this case that you need the drive for something you can't use the garden for--or anything else for...like the importance of Basketball.

Bardock42
I did not see it. KMC has that problem when you post and refresh.

You never mentioned them before.

Bullshit:

But the point is that if there are reasons why they prefer to park on the lawn it is not stupid, not everyone values an English lawn as much as you guys. Some people might value the shorter way, or they think the car gets less damaged by softer grounding, or they want their pavement for other activities, etc.

Also, those reasons would be fine, but are only circumstantial and rare. Mostly, the drive is better.

Well, lets remember that you have no reasons. Also they are not as rare as you make them out to be.

How?

Less harmful to the tires.

Last time I checked the drive was in a more apropiate place. If there's a case where it's not, I pretty much wouldn't get the house.

Good for you. But some people can't afford a different house. And generally front lawn is closer than the driveway anyways.

This doesn't explain why you can't use the drive.

Yeah, you can use the drive in that case.

This one I just don't understand.

You might want your driveway to be clear. Doesn't matter though, there are reasons. And probably even more I can't think of. You should just accept that you judged to readily in your first post. It is not stupid to do that and there might even be good reasons to do so.

BackFire
I've never seen a house where the front lawn is a more convenient place to park a car than a driveway. Just looking out my window right now, and seeing half a dozen houses, there is not one where a person would save time by parking on their lawn. In each case, it would take longer for the person to walk to their car were it on their lawn. There is also the problem of if you park on the lawn you'd have to drive off the curb to keep the same quick pacing of just driving in a straight line to the street from the driveway. Driving off of a curb can, of course, damage your tires.

Also, parking on the lawn is not better for the tires. Tires are made to be used on pavement. In fact, driving on the lawn can kick dirt up into the bottom of the car, which can cause problems in some cases.

Bardock42
Originally posted by BackFire
I've never seen a house where the front lawn is a more convenient place to park a car than a driveway. Just looking out my window right now, and seeing half a dozen houses, there is not one where a person would save time by parking on their lawn. In each case, it would take longer for the person to walk to their car were it on their lawn. There is also the problem of if you park on the lawn you'd have to drive off the curb to keep the same quick pacing of just driving in a straight line to the street from the driveway. Driving off of a curb can, of course, damage your tires.

Also, parking on the lawn is not better for the tires. Tires are made to be used on pavement. In fact, driving on the lawn can kick dirt up into the bottom of the car, which can cause problems in some cases. To be fair though, we are not really aware of the set ups of the houses.

Evil Dead
wow. must every thread turn into an arguement?

I was just asking if anybody knows why they do it....not speculation, logical reasons, etc......looking for the actual reason.

I'm positive it's cultural. I've known many Americans of Mexican descent that did not do this. They parked their cars in their driveway like everybody else does. The only people I've seen parking their cars on their lawn instead of their drive way are actual Mexicans.....they were born and raised in Mexico. I've heard about many people from other latin American countries also doing this. I don't personally know anyone from these countries so I can't substantiate that but I've heard. The movie "Crash" even contains a reference to this.

my own personal guess is that due to the climate of the region, lush beautiful lawns are rare. Being rare, these people were not raised to respect a nice looking lawn as most never had one. They may have parked their cars on dirt 5 feet in front of their house in their home country and when they arrived in America kept doing the same, despite the fact they were now parking on a nice lush, green lawn. That is just a guess though....I don't know.

to whomever said poverty had something to do with it......please explain. How does the amount of money you have in your bank account affect a person's choice to park directly in front of their door, tearing up their lawn instead of in the nice paved drive way specificly created for parking on not more than 10 feet away?

either way, I beleive the choice is disrespectful to others in the neighborhood. Most people take pride in the well kept appearance of their homes, I know I do. Having people purposefully tear up their lawn in that neighborhood brings the over all appearance of the neighborhood down. The same can be said about rednecks who put cars up on cinder blocks in their yards. It's their right to do it.....but still disrespectful to all others in the neighborhood. The Mexicans in my neighborhood seem to be very polite in the limited interactions I've had with them (only 2 speak English...and poorly). Perhaps they just do not know that they are being disrespectful as I mentioned earlier, perhaps they were never raised to value a nicely kept home/lawn and do not know that others do.

dadudemon

I'm sorry, but the point is that xyz came in, read half a sentence and decided to call something stupid for no reason at all. So I called him on it. It's not stupid, just different.

There shouldn't even be an argument. This is such an asinine debate. laughing

OMG!!!11!111!1 Liek teh lawnz is bettur to park on beecuz it is teh coolies!!!!!

In a locked garage is the best place to park...duh...next the driveway...then the street....then your neighbors if they are nice...then your lawn.

Why? (Which you don't seem to be getting a great answer too.)

1. Societal norms.
2. Respect for your properties or your property owner.
3. You could get that shit stuck if it rains.
4. You can tear up your lawn.
5. The grass can be very wet and you could slip and fall in the dew covered grass while running to your car. (I have done that myself...I had to drop a TV off in the morning...slipped and fell while running back to the car...I had very smooth bottoms on my shoes and I didn't realize I would fall down and go boom.)
6. Because your an idiot and I'm not. NYA NYA!!!! stick out tongue stick out tongue

I win and that means that I am "teh coolies" and I win mostly because of #6...NYA NYA!!!

...and so does your sig.

Thankies!!!! big grin

Bardock42

OMG!!!11!111!1 Liek teh lawnz is bettur to park on beecuz it is teh coolies!!!!!

In a locked garage is the best place to park...duh...next the driveway...then the street....then your neighbors if they are nice...then your lawn.

1. Societal norms.
5. The grass can be very wet and you could slip and fall in the dew covered grass while running to your car. (I have done that myself...I had to drop a TV off in the morning...slipped and fell while running back to the car...I had very smooth bottoms on my shoes and I didn't realize I would fall down and go boom.)
6. Because your an idiot and I'm not. NYA NYA!!!! stick out tongue stick out tongue

I win and that means that I am "teh coolies" and I win mostly because of #6...NYA NYA!!!

You are an insufferable idiot.

1. Bullshit. (the norm doesn't make something better)
2. Bullshit. (as owner you don't need to have respect for your property, it serves you)
3. Apparently not, but you seem to be better aware of the mechanics of parking on your front lawn. Where does the insight come from?
4. You might not care. As said before not everyone cares about a perfectly well kept English lawn. Actually, I think just weird white people do.
5. You could trip and break your ankle easier on hard ground (while we are at bullshit arguments)
6. Lets not kid ourselves.

You do not win. Why do you not win? Easy, because the argument is not, as you eloquently put it, "OMG!!!11!111!1 Liek teh lawnz is bettur to park on beecuz it is teh coolies!!!!!", but that there are situations where it might be desirable to park on your lawn instead of your driveway making it a sound and not-stupid decision.

chillmeistergen

1. Societal norms.

That's a ridiculously silly argument. Who are you to tell people how to respect their property? That societal norms business is a load of rubbish as well. The norms of society change all the time, I'm sure the first time someone suggested the notion of driveways, they were scorned at, but now they are generally accepted. People park on grass all the time, ever been to a farm?

Thanks for the great story about falling over by the way as well, I really couldn't have imagined the actual action of someone slipping, without all the details.

WrathfulDwarf
I think is because Northern Mexicans are raise and born in ranches. It must something to do with parking anywhere in your own property. I been to Mexico and notice that is mostly the northern Mexicans that do this. It's a ranchers way of living.

It really isn't something worth discussing or a major topic to deal with. What's next? Why do rednecks keep a 350 engine inside their houses? Why do European farmers eat with the livestock inside the house? Why do Asians like hip-hop? Why do native americans take money from the government to build casinos?

Pointless.

anaconda
lawns sometimes get wet and car sink in and get stuck and every neat scenario that comes with that

botankus
The people across the street from me are from Mexico, and they also run a makeshift mechanic business out of their house. So therefore, they have to park a car on their lawn from time to time.

Captain King
I'm hispanic, my reasoning is when you park your car on the lawn, it keeps the grass from growing.

So that's less work for you to have to do later when you mow it.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Here's why parking cars on one's lawn is bad: it's trashy.

Use your ****ing driveway.

lord xyz
Originally posted by botankus
The people across the street from me are from Mexico, and they also run a makeshift mechanic business out of their house. So therefore, they have to park a car on their lawn from time to time. Why do they have to?

Captain King
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
Here's why parking cars on one's lawn is bad: it's trashy.

Use your ****ing driveway.
You don't get this upset about a sixteen year old gir having her ass-crack peeking out.

Alot of things look trashy, atleast this has some sortof reasonable purpose other then to do it for it's own sake of looking cool, or some lame stupid crap like that.

I'd argue with you further, but frankly I don't wanna go through the hassle

Captain King: Y'know if I wasn't so lazy i'd punch you in the stomache.

Zeal: But...you are lazy right?

Captain King: UGH! DON'T GET ME STARTED!

lol, Futurama ftw.

Robtard
You do a terrible caricature of DK, not even remotely a parody.

botankus
Why do they have to?

Driveway too narrow.

dadudemon
You are an insufferable idiot.

1. Bullshit. (the norm doesn't make something better)
2. Bullshit. (as owner you don't need to have respect for your property, it serves you)
3. Apparently not, but you seem to be better aware of the mechanics of parking on your front lawn. Where does the insight come from?
4. You might not care. As said before not everyone cares about a perfectly well kept English lawn. Actually, I think just weird white people do.
5. You could trip and break your ankle easier on hard ground (while we are at bullshit arguments)
6. Lets not kid ourselves.

You do not win. Why do you not win? Easy, because the argument is not, as you eloquently put it, "OMG!!!11!111!1 Liek teh lawnz is bettur to park on beecuz it is teh coolies!!!!!", but that there are situations where it might be desirable to park on your lawn instead of your driveway making it a sound and not-stupid decision.

I will go point by point...

1. When in Rome...you douche bag...
2. True that you don't have to respect your property...isn't it great to be able to do what ever you want? Doesn't change the fact that it makes you look trashy and ignorant.
3. I grew up in the country in Oklahoma...some places in OK are just vast fields of flat land and grass...I have moved many many people in the country and either had the driver or myself pull right up to the front porch to move stuff in...
4. I agree...still doesn't make it respectful for the things you have been blessed with.
5. Great........but how many times have I been running and slipped on my ass-with flat rubber soled shoes-while running on concrete? Let me give you a hint...it starts with a "z" and ends with a "you're a f**kin' douche bag".....I mean "ero"...my bad. big grin
6. What ever you say, advocate of lawn parking...you are teh weeenar.

I agree that it is okay to park on your lawn sometimes....however, it is not the first place you should park....what if you wanted to pollute the environment with an oil leak? What if you were doing that specifically so it would kill the grass? By all means, park on your grass.

What if you were an idiot and didn't know that a driveway/garage was for parking your car? Then by all means...the lawn is one of the top options...park away sailor!!!!

OMGl liek its teh banana man!!!!111!! Happy Dance

and why the f*ck are we debating where to park our cars? Did we really run out of things to debate?

I think I will have to make a new thread that actually has something to debate in it instead of lame ass car parking preferences...

BTW....Bardock42....you win...I lose, your argument is too strong for me, I can't go on because my brain is about to explode. Obviously you are better than me, I am going to watch your posts more carefully to see what I can learn from such a great poster such as yourself. (It may take a while since I am not very smart. no expression)

lord xyz
Originally posted by botankus
Driveway too narrow. Oh. That's bad.

Bardock42
I will go point by point...

1. When in Rome...you douche bag...
2. True that you don't have to respect your property...isn't it great to be able to do what ever you want? Doesn't change the fact that it makes you look trashy and ignorant.
3. I grew up in the country in Oklahoma...some places in OK are just vast fields of flat land and grass...I have moved many many people in the country and either had the driver or myself pull right up to the front porch to move stuff in...
4. I agree...still doesn't make it respectful for the things you have been blessed with.
5. Great........but how many times have I been running and slipped on my ass-with flat rubber soled shoes-while running on concrete? Let me give you a hint...it starts with a "z" and ends with a "you're a f**kin' douche bag".....I mean "ero"...my bad. big grin
6. What ever you say, advocate of lawn parking...you are teh weeenar.

I agree that it is okay to park on your lawn sometimes....however, it is not the first place you should park....what if you wanted to pollute the environment with an oil leak? What if you were doing that specifically so it would kill the grass? By all means, park on your grass.

What if you were an idiot and didn't know that a driveway/garage was for parking your car? Then by all means...the lawn is one of the top options...park away sailor!!!!

OMGl liek its teh banana man!!!!111!! Happy Dance

and why the f*ck are we debating where to park our cars? Did we really run out of things to debate?

I think I will have to make a new thread that actually has something to debate in it instead of lame ass car parking preferences...

BTW....Bardock42....you win...I lose, your argument is too strong for me, I can't go on because my brain is about to explode. Obviously you are better than me, I am going to watch your posts more carefully to see what I can learn from such a great poster such as yourself. (It may take a while since I am not very smart. no expression)

I figure I don't need to answer in depths as you conceded to my point in the second part of your rambling. Nice to have done business with you.

dadudemon
I figure I don't need to answer in depths as you conceded to my point in the second part of your rambling. Nice to have done business with you.

WAIT!!! How mch do I owe you? It is only right that I should pay you for your services!!!

Bardock42
WAIT!!! How mch do I owe you? It is only right that I should pay you for your services!!! My services in that manner are free of charge as of now.

Devil King
My services in that manner are free of charge as of now.

What were you charging?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Devil King
What were you charging?

N-nothing.

Quiero Mota

Because it gives quicker access to all of our outdoor activites, for which we invite every sinlge extended family member. Lawns are roomy, and if you wanna leave the wedding, birthday party, quincinera or whatever early, people in the driveway will be blocked in.

Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Because Mexicans have the ''parkonthefrontlawn'' gene. 83.4% of them have an active gene, while 68.9% have over active gene.

60% of people know that. Thats why 90% of them do it.

Pure science.

I have the over active gene.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Because it gives quicker access to all of our outdoor activites, for which we invite every sinlge extended family member. Lawns are roomy, and if you wanna leave the wedding, birthday party, quincinera or whatever early, people in the driveway will be blocked in.

That makes much more sense now. I know that my MEXICAN neighbors had several guests over at all time and there would literally be six cars all around their house: Lawn, curb, driveway, etc....Their garage would never have cars parked in it because they would hang out in the house and the garage drinking their beverages, watching their TV, and socializing. The mexican culture is very social and family oriented...my mother in law, who is full blood mexican, ALWAYS wants together with the family and eat food or celebrate something...nothing really bad about that and in fact, it is admirable...however, that shit costs money and time and I don't have very much of either...I am a hermit of sorts. (I am studying for the server+ cert right now as I type this...)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.