Tough bankruptcy law backfiring on banks

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth_Erebus2
Be careful what you wish for

chithappens
Heh, that makes plenty of sense now... Why did the "experts" not see that coming?

Evil Dead
we should bring back debtors prison. I'm tired of hearing about people who live a lifestyle beyond their means then file bankruptcy. All it does is drive rates up for the rest of us hard working people who spend the appropriate ratio of income/bills.

oh.....you have a shopping problem? waaaaaaaah. Here's 2 years in prison to break yourself of that problem. We're only trying to help.

Darth_Erebus2
Originally posted by Evil Dead
we should bring back debtors prison. I'm tired of hearing about people who live a lifestyle beyond their means then file bankruptcy. All it does is drive rates up for the rest of us hard working people who spend the appropriate ratio of income/bills.

oh.....you have a shopping problem? waaaaaaaah. Here's 2 years in prison to break yourself of that problem. We're only trying to help.

It's a 2 way street dude. Yes, consumers are partly to blame because of credit card debt but banks must also take some of the blame. You can't give a $20,000 credit card to an unemployed college student and their dog and expect timely payments. Bank of America even gives credit cards to illegal immigrants with no Social Security # and then these banks cry foul when they don't pay it back. Because of both corporate and personal irresponsibility the rest of us suffer.

Then there's the huge # of people who used to declare bankruptcy because of catastrophic medical bills, often even when they had insurance and can no longer do it.

We need to quit pandering to big business and make them take some responsibility to society as well as to their quarterly bottom line.

Evil Dead
Originally posted by Darth_Erebus2
It's a 2 way street dude. Yes, consumers are partly to blame because of credit card debt but banks must also take some of the blame. You can't give a $20,000 credit card to an unemployed college student and their dog and expect timely payments. Bank of America even gives credit cards to illegal immigrants with no Social Security # and then these banks cry foul when they don't pay it back. Because of both corporate and personal irresponsibility the rest of us suffer.

nope. I don't care if the person has no credit score at all and the credit companies are handing out cards like candy. It is still the responsibility of the person who signs up for the card to pay the bill. If they're a non-working college student, I guess they should no better than to be using credit cards knowing they have no way of paying them. Everyone is responsible for their own actions. I had a credit card at 18.......and barely ever used it because I wasn't making any money.

just an excuse. No matter how large a medical bill is, as long as you make a payment on it per month they have to take it. So filing bankruptcy is easier than paying $5 a month every month for the rest of your life. I didn't hear you complaining while you were recieving this medical treatment.

Darth_Erebus2
Originally posted by Evil Dead
Everyone is responsible for their own actions.

Yes, Including the banks. It is not the responsibility of society nor the government to make a defaulter with bad or no credit pay

just an excuse. No matter how large a medical bill is, as long as you make a payment on it per month they have to take it. So filing bankruptcy is easier than paying $5 a month every month for the rest of your life. I didn't hear you complaining while you were recieving this medical treatment.

Well, we can get into the medical argument another time. Universal health care is something desperately needed in this country but that's for another thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.