Awesome useful nonlethal solution or horrible torture pain device of doom?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
I figgered that we hadn't had one o' these in a bit, so I'd reinvigorate the discussion, especially since this article came out so recently.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/technology/technology.html?in_article_id=482560&in_page_id=1965

Aside from the "OMG BUSHITLER NAZI TORTURE RAEP" retardation present on so many sites, let's discuss this. That means rationally.

1. The idea of "limitless, unbearable pain" is a scary thing.

It's a very scary thing. This technology will clearly be used as a torture device, no question about it--and I predict that there will come a point when someone loses his or her sanity because of the pain inflicted. (Yes, that's a tad dramatic, but I believe it is plausible.) Imagine being in a fire and having your skin seared to the bone. Then you're in this fire for an hour. Or maybe a day. Or maybe a month or maybe for however long people can keep the power running. Except you don't get the pleasure of dying; you just keep on burning.

2. The potential for this device to save lives is a good thing.

Its accuracy, the ability to single out individuals, and the fact that people are forced to flee from it makes it a key element in hostage situations. Human shields don't work when you're forced to drop the hostage and make a break for it. Furthermore, the technology has further adaptations, possibly for noninvasive surgical procedures.

3. The machine has some kind of safety override function.

But how would this function when targeting a crowd of people?

4. All nonlethal weaponry has the potential to be used for torture, just like every non-weapon has the potential to be used as a weapon.

But does that make it acceptable? Tear gas could be used as a torture device, rubber bullets could be used as a torture device, pepper spray could be used as a torture device, etc. Hell, even light bulbs can be used as torture devices. However, the potential for other methods of torture is limited, usually by bodily trauma (i.e., the victim will eventually die). However, what is this time period? Is it too long to be of importance when considering the Silent Guardian's potential?

Furthermore, on a somewhat perverse note, shouldn't torturers at least be forced to exert effort in exchange for torture?

5. With this device's potential as a torture weapon, it removes the human element of torture (that is, it's a human being torturing another human). What effects might this have on torture? What are the implications for everyone else?

Bardock42
The torture idea you brought up was the first thing I thought about too. If it is really like they describe it (though I assume it can't be quite like that), it would make it amazingly easy to make someone's life a living hell. Not even to gain information, but just for sadistic purposes. Imo, such a weapon has incredible potential to be harmful, though, there is probably not really anything that can stop it.

Now, how is that for an end of time scenario though, two superpowers (of course lead by incredibly crazy people) create such a weapon to each encompass one half of the globe. Now those two things switched on make for a ****ing great end of humanity, don't they?

leonheartmm
hrmm, i can see hell now. lotsa devls with ray guns creating a dome of sorts around you and turning on their ray guns.

chithappens
Actually, this machine is mentioned as a torture device for terrorists in the book "State of War."

Heh, that's kinda funny

Alfheim
*sigh* The world is really turning into a bad place and the more we advance in tech the more ways we find to hurt each other.....disturbing.

Who needs hell when you got real life?

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Originally posted by Bardock42
The torture idea you brought up was the first thing I thought about too. If it is really like they describe it (though I assume it can't be quite like that), it would make it amazingly easy to make someone's life a living hell. Not even to gain information, but just for sadistic purposes. Imo, such a weapon has incredible potential to be harmful, though, there is probably not really anything that can stop it.

Now, how is that for an end of time scenario though, two superpowers (of course lead by incredibly crazy people) create such a weapon to each encompass one half of the globe. Now those two things switched on make for a ****ing great end of humanity, don't they?
On the plus side, the crazies wearing tinfoil might be immune.

Although, that's an excellent strategy...keep the enemy from getting resources by keeping them inside.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo

Although, that's an excellent strategy...keep the enemy from getting resources by keeping them inside.

I would think that a Halo uniform would also provide nice protection from the radiation...hooray for nerds.

Anyway,

I support (through my opinions only) the development of non-lethal weapons. I find them to be fascinating. If it saves lives, then that is great.

Also, how does the radiation affect the eyes?

I do not welcome the idea of using this technology for torture, though. Also, I am not entirely sure about the safety of this item.

Robtard
So I take it people prefer we go about war the old way and just bomb and shoot people instead?

Admiral Akbar

Ha! That is exactly what I was thinking.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Robtard
So I take it people prefer we go about war the old way and just bomb and shoot people instead? Nah, nah, just...you know...not be fried for 50 years of your live non stop...that's what most people prefer I think.

Robtard
Nah, nah, just...you know...not be fried for 50 years of your live non stop...that's what most people prefer I think.

Sure, this can be used as an effective torture device, then again, you don't need this to torture people. Also, no one could take that much pain indefinitely, they'd go into shock, just like using conventional torture techniques. So all we really have, is just another way to possibly torture someone. On the plus side, a rioting crowd could be pacified without having to gas them and crack their heads with batons.

Bardock42
Sure, this can be used as an effective torture device, then again, you don't need this to torture people. Also, no one could take that much pain indefinitely, they'd go into shock, just like using conventional torture techniques. So all we really have, is just another way to possibly torture someone. On the plus side, a rioting crowd could be pacified without having to gas them and crack their heads with batons. It has no doubt advantages.

But that doesn't mean we can't discuss the bad ways such a technology will certainly be used.

Robtard
It has no doubt advantages.

But that doesn't mean we can't discuss the bad ways such a technology will certainly be used.

Of course, then again, I could misuse a $40.00 dollar microwave and torture someone with it, same goes for a #2 pencil or a tin of beans.

Bardock42
Of course, then again, I could misuse a $40.00 dollar microwave and torture someone with it, same goes for a #2 pencil or a tin of beans.

Yeah, or a banana. But you have to take likelihood, accesibility, harm caused and multiple other factors into consideration...and yeah...hell gun kinda pwns a pencil.

Devil King
I think the truely sad matter of fact in this discussion is that a non-leathal device has been created, and in the year 2007, we have to worry about how our government will abuse us, and others, with it.

Besides, discussing how our government will abuse us with it is a bit of a moot point. If we've heard about this technology, the government already has it, and will likely develop it as long as they think it's useful to them, somehow.

If the microwaves didn't interfere with his mechanical heart, I have no doubt people like Cheney would masturbate all over it.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Devil King
I think the truely sad matter of fact in this discussion is that a non-leathal device has been created, and in the year 2007, we have to worry about how our government will abuse us, and others, with it.

Besides, discussing how our government will abuse us with it is a bit of a moot point. If we've heard about this technology, the government already has it, and will likely develop it as long as they think it's useful to them, somehow.

If the microwaves didn't interfere with his mechanical heart, I have no doubt people like Cheney would masturbate all over it.

1. Is that you for Halloween in your avatar?

2. Everyone can be pacifists all they want...that will not stop the rest of the world from being idiots and jerks who cause pain and suffering.

When will humans evolve beyond the need for war and weapons?

Devil King
Originally posted by dadudemon
1. Is that you for Halloween in your avatar?

2. Everyone can be pacifists all they want...that will not stop the rest of the world from being idiots and jerks who cause pain and suffering.

Yes.

Humans will never evolve beyond weapons. War, that's debatable. I'd really rather the government evolve beyond the need to fu*k us over, constantly.

inimalist

are you proposing that humans will biologically grow the equivelent of an ak 47 based on selection pressure?

wink

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Originally posted by inimalist
are you proposing that humans will biologically grow the equivelent of an ak 47 based on selection pressure?

wink
I would support this.

However, we're just stuck with the BUSHITLER WARHATEMACHINE (OMG HE H8S TEH GHEYZ) right now, amirite?

inimalist
LOL

Bush is going to invade Iran because he is jealous that they have no gays.

~Forever*Alone~
oh man that weapon turns me on

Bardock42
Originally posted by ~Forever*Alone~
oh man that weapon turns me on Well, it certainly makes you hot.

~Forever*Alone~
i was gonna say that, but i refrased it.

Devil King
I would support this.

However, we're just stuck with the BUSHITLER WARHATEMACHINE (OMG HE H8S TEH GHEYZ) right now, amirite?

No, it really isn't. It's a matter of going back before the Bush administration. The Military Industrial Complex has a real interest in keeping armed conflict a part of human politics. Constantly hearing expressed disapointment in our own government as anti-Bush rhetoric is just as silly as blaming Bush himself for everything that has gone wrong with this country in the last 7 years.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Devil King
Yes.

Humans will never evolve beyond weapons. War, that's debatable. I'd really rather the government evolve beyond the need to fu*k us over, constantly.

Originally posted by inimalist

wink

I appreciate the comments to my rhetorical question. smile The answer to my question, right now, would be "never"...which I assumed everyone thought that's what I meant.

However, to be completely truthful, I do not think humans are TOTALLY beyond the ability to become a virtually peaceful people...it could be reach within 200 years maybe...

inimalist
I appreciate the comments to my rhetorical question. smile The answer to my question, right now, would be "never"...which I assumed everyone thought that's what I meant.

However, to be completely truthful, I do not think humans are TOTALLY beyond the ability to become a virtually peaceful people...it could be reach within 200 years maybe...

I don't know, I'd say a certain amount of strife in the world is necessary, and to be honest, the tyranny of "peace" seems like something I wouldn't be in that much favor of, seeing as it seems to imply that everyone agrees on at least SOMETHING.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.