Can someone explain how Superman's powers physically work?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
Logically speaking,in the comics universe, how do his powers biologically work? I'd really like to know.

Here's a list of his basic powers..

- super speed

- super hearing

- super strength

- freezing breath

- invulnerability

- heat vision

- flight.

- Stamina where he could survive without food, practically.

FistOfThe North
I know profound concentration and sheer Kryptonian will have alot to do with it too.

Soljer
There is no realistic, logical explanation.

People can/may try to make something plausible up, but the only explanation that's ever really been given is that Superman is pseudo-photosynthetic.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Logically speaking,in the comics universe, how do his powers biologically work? I'd really like to know.

- super speed

- super hearing

- super strength

- freezing breath

- invulnerability

- heat vision

- flight.

It's called "Science Fiction and Fantasy".

That's how they work.

Magee
Its called Superman needs no damn explanation he is the Superman *****.

Allankles
There are books out there that discuss Superman's powers from a real world scientific perspective. I think there's a book out called The Science of Superman , that has scientific explanations on Supes. Superman's powers have been elaborated more than any other super hero.

From what I've heard his strength is related to 2 physical aspects:-

High sub atomic density - that makes him "harder" and stronger than any human.

And secondly, his capacity for some kind of photosynthesis, and energy absorption. Charging his cells and allowing him to achieve greater feats of strength and durability.

His durability - is related to his cells ability to manipulate the stored energy within his body to generate a bio electric field. Coupled with his harder body, resulting from his high sub atomic density.

His flight - is related to his ability to manipulate gravitons (hypothetical particles related to gravity in physics). He posseses some degree of psionic power and therefore can manipulate this particles around him, allowing him the ability of flight.

His freeze breath - is basically his ability to reduce the kinetic energy of particles around him. It's similar to any person blowing out cool breathe except with Supes, he can do it to a much greater degree thanks to his enormous lung capacity etc

His heat vision is basically a form of psionic control of kinetic energy i.e it is a form of TK. Through his eyes, he can project telekinetic power, exciting air particles to form heat energy to whatever degree he wishes.

Supes has a lot TK ability to go along with his strength and durability.

Endless Mike
Well one theory is that being exposed to yellow sunlight somehow unlocks or catalyzes processes within his cells that allow him to tap vast reserves of energy (possibly extra - dimensional). It was mentioned in a recent comic that red sunlight doesn't actually drain his powers, it just locks them away until he is exposed to yellow sunlight again.

ragesRemorse

- super speed

- super hearing

- super strength

- freezing breath

- invulnerability

- heat vision

- flight.

Graivty explains his flight, super speed and super strength, everything else cannot even be attempted to be approached because its a comic book.

Personally, i think he has all these powers because its how Jews view their god.

FistOfThe North
lol ok?

Are you anit-semetic?

SuppMan
Their is a book on the physics of superheroes.. you should read it.. its actually quite interesting.. let me see if i can dig up some info..

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by SuppMan
Their is a book on the physics of superheroes.. you should read it.. its actually quite interesting.. let me see if i can dig up some info..

Sure, thanks.

You know, my friend told me that he saw some cable channel airing a special talking about Supermans powers and how they'd work and why if he'd existed in the real world.

That would've been a cool watch.

SuppMan
hmm, why are we even trying to explain superman with physics? Isn't the whole point of comics and superman this alternate fantasy away from reality? if we wanted someone physically possible then we would be fans of athletes or MMA fighters. I watched superman growing up because it made life exciting and fueled my imagination. Nothing more.

Endless Mike
Originally posted by SuppMan
hmm, why are we even trying to explain superman with physics? Isn't the whole point of comics and superman this alternate fantasy away from reality? if we wanted someone physically possible then we would be fans of athletes or MMA fighters. I watched superman growing up because it made life exciting and fueled my imagination. Nothing more.

We're trying to explain because the OP asked

ragesRemorse
lol ok?

Are you anit-semetic?

yeah, because the gravity on kyptone was much more dense than the gravity on Earth. So when he came here. Supposedly it would be similar to humans going to the moon.

Na, i dont hate jews, but you gotta admit. superman does have more powers than God, and God did have alot of influence in the creation of superman

ragesRemorse
Sure, thanks.

You know, my friend told me that he saw some cable channel airing a special talking about Supermans powers and how they'd work and why if he'd existed in the real world.

That would've been a cool watch.

I saw that. It was on the discovery or national geographic channel. It was a docu hoping to promote superman returns. You should search the web for it. It is pretty interesting...,Im fairly certain it was called the science of superman

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Na, i dont hate jews, but you gotta admit. superman does have more powers than God, and God did have alot of influence in the creation of superman

Na, Superman's not more powerful than God. Can Superman speak the universe into existence and create life. Don't think so, lol. If anything God created Superman. Well, at least he created the makers and/or their thought of Superman.

Endless Mike
Superman met God (The Presence) a few times

Violent2Dope
Na, Superman's not more powerful than God. Can Superman speak the universe into existence and create life. Don't think so, lol. If anything God created Superman. Well, at least he created the makers and/or their thought of Superman. Superman ripped open the gates of heaven and threatened God. no expression

His strength works, for one, because Kryptonians have a much more advance musculature, and grew up on a planet with much denser gravity. Also, he can store solar energy into his cells, and uses them to fuel his strength.

Durability, for one his skin, bones, and whatever are harder and denser than humans. He also has a "bio aura" that extends millimeters outwards of his skin, which adds to it.

FistOfThe North
I know. I heard about the story. Where he broke thru heavens pearly gate while arch angle Michael just let him do it, even though Micheal would've effortlessly ripped Superman a new one.

He approached God and God presented him with the Sword of Heaven which was actually an indestructible thunder bolt.

He battled and destroyed Thor's hammer with it and made the the Norse God cry, literally.

However i don't know about the threatening thing. He may've done it but Superman vS God lmao..God would destroy Supes with half a blink (not even) while not even considering Supes was challenging him...

Violent2Dope
No, wrong, PC Superman would just use his "Anti-God Vision".

Captain King
This is going to be really long, so beware.
Flight:
The flying always bothered me. I think what he really does is leap and guide himself along the air currents. Or, if you can't really rule out flying, maybe he has a mechanism for somehow forcing air backward.

Or what if the pores on his skin eject microscopic amounts of excess moisture, like sweat? My first instinct is to say telekinesis, but there is already a strong comicbook theory Superman is just an uber psychic.

X-Ray Vision:
If he is projecting light (or X-rays) from his eyes, he needs something to reflect it back. So everywhere he goes, he'd have to have a mirror to place behind the object to reflect it back.

He would also need to use an enormous amount of radiation, which would kill whoever he was looking at. And probably insure everyone around him develop cancer.

The real problem is that Superman's abilities have increased too much.

He used to go after bank robbers and Nazis. Now he has to fight demons and shit.

There are other problems. If, for example, Superman were to take Lois Lane in his arms and blast off "faster than a speeding bullet," she'd be crushed.

Also, if he is able to fly at near the speed of light there is a problem. Superman, flying off to parts unknown, doesn't age. But those of us left behind do.

There would be a huge change, If he was gone two hours (flying at the speed of light), by the time he returned the world would be over.

And his date with Lois Lane would be ruined. The idea of comic book feats isn't impossible on a physics level, but having normal humans being able to witness let alone live through such an experience is.

Cosmic Cube
Originally posted by Captain King
The idea of comic book feats isn't impossible on a physics level, but having normal humans being able to witness let alone live through such an experience is. Flying at lightspeed is an impossible feat.

Pre-crisis Superman had plenty more.

Yeah, you're right about that.

Magee
No reason to apply real world physics to comics, especialy DC comics who dont really go for the grounded to reality stuff.

pr1983
Originally posted by Magee
No reason to apply real world physics to comics, especialy DC comics who dont really go for the grounded to reality stuff.

doh no expression

Endless Mike
Desaad said that his flight was gravity manipulation

FistOfThe North
His flight may be due to sheer Kryptonian will power and a form of psionics.

Violent2Dope
His flight at faster than lightspeed is done by manipulating the gravity around him I think.

Magee
Originally posted by pr1983
doh no expression Oh my bad I forgot the majority of people here are comic geeks who spend there spare time arguing about whether Superman can beat Thor!

pr1983
Originally posted by Magee
Oh my bad I forgot the majority of people here are comic geeks who spend there spare time arguing about whether Superman can beat Thor!

What... how did you get that from my reply?

MightyEInherjar
Tactile Telekenesis is one that gets thrown around a lot.

Faith27
but Superman also have weakness.

SMIFF-N-WESSON
Ask yourself, why are morons comparing a comic book hero to GOD ?

Blax_Hydralisk
God is a comic book character. Same concept.

Cartesian Doubt
How Theoretical physics might explain Kryptonian abilities.

Flight and Ability to lift immensely heavy objects

Manipulating the Cosmological constant, Casmir Force or Dark Force energy that pushes entire galaxies apart from each other. The only observed anti gravity effect, seen in our universe. As its fuelled by vacuum energy (Zero point energy) its basically limitless, hence the almost unprecedented loads that Superman has been seen to carry. Evolved; as Kryptonians would need a means of lifting their immensely dense and therefore heavy bodies , in the heavy gravity. Also can be used to surround objects and levitate them, therefore providing the idea that he is lifting heavy objects. The cells and tissues that manipulate this force are only utilised under the presence of yelllow light, which activates the dormant cells.

Durability and Structural Strength:

Basically attributed to Kryptonian Molecular Density and hyper fast metabolism; that produces instananeous healing. Kryptonian cell walls are made out of a highly dense, strong and light compound with a tensile strength on par with carbon nano tubes. This is bolstered by a super conductive membrane that creates a intense electro magnetic field that pushes against the opposing cell membranes; causing a glue like effect amongst kryptonian tissue. These complicated but resiliant structures, are continually repaired by the Kryptonian repair system bolstered by a hyper enhanced metabolism.

Speed and Battery like qulaities;

These are attribued to a biological; superconductive nervous system that allowed ancient Kryptonian organisms to magnetically repel themselves against the Krypton's neutron star matter, core. This allowed for a prmitive form of levitation; therefore decreasing weight and allowing for greater movement. This eventually evolved into the current, super reavctive Kryptonain nervous system. Its super conductive properties allow kryptonians to react almost instantaneously to their surroundings while providing physiological device that allows kryptonians to store energy, electrically almost indefinitely. The non resistant properties of this superconuctor allow Kryptonians to absorb energies and then store them electrically withing a organ situated next to the CNS. This acts as the Kryptonains storage centre; allowing them to call upon previously absorbed energies at any time. This exotic organ is linked to most of the muscle system and the heat vison organelles situated behind the eyes.

Energy Absorption;
Kryptonians skin cells photosynthesise all photons of light, which are used to metabolise i a 'currency molecule' known as KATP. As this photosynthetic process cannot satisfy the total energy requirements of a Kryptonian, it is theorised that this exotic protien (KATP), is used to activate dormant organs. The converted solar energies are used to catalyse various cell organelles that absorb 'virtual photons' from the vacuum of space. These are a theorised side effect of Quantum mechanics, which states that space can never be empty therefore flowing with and almost unlimited amount of untapped energy, including remnant photons left from annihilated virtual electrons. Kryptonian's cells have evolved from absorbing traditional photons to virtual photons to yield their immense energy requirements. Note that this physiological process has evolved in close proximity to the kyptoinan anti gravity abilities; that use the same theoretical physics.

Cartesian Doubt
whoops !

Krever
Superman's Powers - Part 1

The cellular structure of a Kryptonian is similar to that of humans. However, a certain chemical makeup in the ribosomes (organelles responsible for protein synthesis) is capable of absorbing solar energy and storing it. Once the ribosomes achieve saturation levels of this radiation, they begin to re-radiate the energy in the form of a bioelectric forcefield. Each individual cell within the field's radius becomes reinforced in such a way that the cells are not only protected from external harm, but internal forces as well. It is this last which is key to Superman's great powers. Since the individual cells are wholly invulnerable, they are capable of operating at levels of efficiency that would destroy normal humanoid cells. These "super-cells" lend an enhancing effect to all bodily systems...muscular, metabolic, nervous, and so forth. The continual absorption of solar energy provides a constant power source for these enhanced systems. Thus, Superman is capable of incredible feats.

Naturally, the basic forcefield effect renders him invulnerable to large amounts of damage. Unlike a human, Superman's body has more than simple cohesion and adhesion holding his tissues together. The bioelectric forcefield has a set tolerance for how much stress occurs before it reacts energetically in opposition to the external force. The tolerance for how much stress occurs before Superman's tissues counteract it varies according to tissue type. His bones allow virtually no compressional or tensional strain (deformation in shape) and his fleshy tissues remain supple under soft pressure, but under stress react to restrict any further deformation in shape. Since the strength of Superman's cellular forcefields greatly exceeds the cohesive force of any substance, no ordinary object can puncture his skin.

Superman can withstand a 1-megaton nuclear explosion without ill effect, and has been able to tolerate the molten conditions in the Earth's core with only discomfort. A 40-Megaton nuclear explosion knocked him unconscious for over an hour. He could not, however, survive the conditions inside a star, but can safely approach to within several miles of Earth's Sun, probably due to a feedback loop of solar energy powering his bioelectric field. Superman can easily survive conditions in deep space, but he does need to breathe, eat, sleep, and excrete. Superman can hold his breath for a maximum of twelve hours, and requires two hours of sleep a night to function at peak mental efficiency, as well needing to dream at least half an hour a night, or experience the psychological effects of sleep deprivation as would any other person who missed a night of sleep. When his solar energy is depleted, his resistance to physical punishment drops to approximately one-quarter the normal amount. Withstanding large amounts of damage continuously over time will rapidly deplete his solar reserves.

Superman's cells provoke one another into releasing their respective energy when one begins to threaten the integrity of the other. Because of a certain degree of constant pressure, there is a continuously emitted radiance of the bioelectric field reaching slightly beyond his body, a sort of aura that protects items near his skin e.g. his costume. The aura also protects Superman's teeth, however his hair and nails are only partially protected due to certain cellular properties they possess. They are invulnerable to fire, however they can still be cut.

Due to the highly charged nature of his solar storage systems, his immune system deals with most normal poisons and diseases quickly and with no ill effect. With the exception of kryptonite emissions, radiation and similar harmful energies are similarly neutralized.

His physical strength is greatly magnified by the combination of his more-efficient muscular system and the enhancement of his skeletal system's structural integrity, but is primarily augmented by the sheer force of his solar forcefield. When Superman appears to be lifting a weight, he is actually holding and pushing it with the bioelectric field. His energy stores push not from himself, but from the shielding that surrounds him. So the shielding is controlled on the highest level and simulates strength. He can lift 100,000 tons with serious effort. The conjectured upper limit of his physical strength has been determined to be approximately 250,000 tons with great effort, and causing strain damage to himself equivalent to an average adult human male lifting 500 pounds. Continual exertion will deplete his solar energy, and greatly exceeding his normal lift will drain him more rapidly. At the level of complete solar depletion, Superman can lift/exert no more than 100 tons of weight or force.

Similarly, Superman's enhanced metabolic rate, muscular speed, and nervous system grant him incredible speed. His Kryptonian structure and the solar energy paths that course along his neurophysical structure allow him to react at many times normal human speed. He can read a complete encyclopedia set in seconds, wash a sink full of dishes in the blink of an eye, or run from New York City to Paris in a matter of minutes. He can move faster than the human eye can perceive if necessary, but this requires extra effort. His reflexes are quick enough to allow him to dodge incoming automatic laser fire.

Superman's perceptions are similarly rapid, allowing him to see individual bullets fired from high-speed automatic weaponry in flight and outrace them easily. Moving at extreme speeds for extended periods of time rapidly drains his solar reserves. In a full drained state, his reflexes are only sufficient enough to dodge semi-automatic projectile weapons and read the encyclopedia set in under 10 minutes.

Krever
Superman's Powers - Part 2

The enhanced structure of Superman's sensory organs combined with the increased capacity of his nervous system provides for the greatly enhanced senses. His range of hearing extends from the subsonic through to the point where signal modulation in broadcast communications can be sensed and demodulated into "sounds" if he concentrates. He can distinctly hear soft sounds anywhere on Earth if he is listening for them. He has perfect pitch. He has, on occasion, sat and perceived every sound on Earth as a symphony of a living planet.

His visual reception range covers the entirety of the electromagnetic spectrum. The difference between human and Superman's vision is that Superman has the capability to see a much wider band of the electromagnetic spectrum; while humans only sense a very narrow band of the spectrum we call visible light. Superman can change the spectrum he perceives at any given time, by changing the chemical receptors in the rods and cones of his retinas. He can adjust his photovoltaic detection as an act of will to sense longer wavelengths down to the infrared, and higher energy light, up to X-ray and gamma radiation.

Kryptonian muscle tissue when super-charged with solar-energy, can generate a powerful gravitational field. These fields in combination with Superman's personal bioelectric field give him the ability to negate gravity, allowing him to fly. When in flight, he's fully suspended by this energy, almost completely repelling Earth's gravimetric influence over him. He becomes his own center of gravity, and no longer has to physically leverage against the gravity of whatever planetary body he's on, or any object. By instinctively controlling an output of energy from his aura, he is able to mentally push himself to a direction and speed of his own liking through sheer force of will. Controlling his motion, Superman is capable of Mach speeds in excess of Mach 10 in atmosphere. He can fly to the Moon in minutes, but faster than that outside of atmospheric interference. His control of his flight is perfect and he can perform aerobatic feats such as hovering, flying backwards and even lifting great weights while flying.

Superman can use the gravitational fields generated by the muscles in his eyes to produce a gravity lens, allowing him to focus far beyond the range of the human eye. Combined with Superman's sensitivity to light, he can magnify an image a virtually countless number of times. Superman can see through solids objects by using a combination of these telescopic and microscopic visual abilities to see through the atomic structure of an object and focus past it, as a camera focuses beyond the dust on a lens. Certain dense materials, notably lead, obstruct this ability.

Superman has the ability to expel stored (solar/electromagnetic) internal energy in the form of focused beams of radiation from his eyes. He emits light along various frequencies in high energy bursts that flash-melts materials in seconds, weaken structural integrity over a smaller area, such as melting the barrel of a gun but leaving the handle untouched. Superman can control his heat vision and direct it wherever he wants to. He directs it with his eyes.

In actuality, Superman could not emit the beams directly from his eyes. The energy is actually built up on the surface of the bio-energetic field surrounding his body and emitted from there. This allows his body to be protected from the energy and absorbing stray electromagnetic energy back into his body. Superman's energy reclamation aura is so efficient that any radiation, even those emitted from him, once in the environment are able to be reabsorbed.

The heat beams are psionically controlled and that control is reflexive, so he can shut it off without accidentally damaging anything that he does not want to. He can emit the radiation visibly or invisibly at lower settings. His energy has a high visibility profile if emitted at higher levels.

Superman has the power to release gale-force winds from his lungs. He can create ice blocks from his breath, as well as freeze objects and opponents. The psionic portion of his powers are made evident by these depictions. The only way for objects to freeze is if their molecular composition slows down in motion at an incredible rate. The application of intense winds from Superman's breath is actually not sufficient to freeze things. Since Superman can agitate molecules to increase in motion, he can do the reverse. He is using the same effect that amplifies converted solar energy in reverse. He is using it as a catalyst to access higher-order energies through an unknown physical mechanism. That same amplification mechanism is reversed to dampen or neutralize energies in the environment to produce freeze breath. Additionally, his vast lung capacity is not physically possible given the dimensions of the humanoid physique. However, his super-breath includes tesseract-type properties.

Both Superman's Kryptonian physiology and the fact that his engrams are stabilized by a solar-frequency hologram reinforcing his neural matrix allow him near-perfect recall of events he pays specific attention to or that have emotional significance or are particularly striking.

Superman is a talented mimic, and can reproduce most sounds that he can hear. He can modulate his voice to transmit on radio or microwave/radar frequencies, and can expel a minute amount of air in space at a warm enough temperature and speed to carry sub-vocalized sound directly to one or more targets.

Superman requires solar energy to function at peak capacity, or his powers fade to greatly reduced levels, some disappearing entirely if his solar reserves are empty. Superman cannot absorb energy from the lower frequency orange O-class stars and cannot process the higher-frequency White K or blue F classes. Blue B and yellow G type stars are ideal.

Superman's body stores and processes solar energy at a rapid rate and for a variety of effects, which are explained in his other powers. His storage capacity is sufficient to let him function at full capacity for up to 14 days depending on his physical condition and state of rest. While under a star of the right class (G-type dwarfs in the blue-white through yellow spectrum are ideal) and within a planetary atmosphere, he replenishes energy at a constant rate.

If forced to expend large amounts of energy over a relatively short time, or to maintain constant exertion over longer periods of time, he tires and his power begins to diminish. Constant exertion will revert him to normal humanoid levels after 14 days without rest. The power recovers at the rate of normal rest, and a full recharge can be accomplished with two days of no more than moderate, normal-level exertion. A process of solar recharge is also known, but requires massive amounts of fusion energy of solar/light-based superpowers.

Dark-Jaxx
Nigga ain't no one gonna read all that.

Allankles
Yeah! Kreger, you should condense it like Cartesian did, no one likes reading a wall of text.

Krever
Yeah, most people won't bother to read all of the description...but SOME will. That's good enough for me.

FistOfThe North
Yea, cause reading alot sucks. It'll make us more informed and better spellers. And we can't have that, fcuk that.

Allankles
Yea, cause reading alot sucks. It'll make us more informed and better spellers. And we can't have that, fcuk that.

I read plenty, I have a problem when people don't properly organize there post or condense them appropriately. I had no problem reading Cartesians (almost as long) posts because he spaced them out well. I don't just like diving into a wall of text, there should be proper spacing so that you can peak up ideas, points and meaningful info more easily.

When you throw a wall of text you make it clear you have no idea how to communicate your posts correctly, it's almost like you're writing to yourself. I've read wall-o-texts before but it's much easier to ignore kavier's with Cartesians better organized posts above his.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
hence the almost unprecedented loads that Superman has been seen to carry.

shifty

But that was a cool post. I enjoyed reading it.

Jack Daniels
I can honestly say it made me want a drink..beer

zetaprime
i always thought his abilities were psionically related. my theory was that each cell produced a psionic field that he could control through low-level telekinesis, and would be sustained by absorbing yellow sun radiation. this would account for indestructability, strength, speed, and flight. if his lungs were also indestructible due to this field, then that would account for super/arctic breath, as air could be packed in much more densly. if the cells' fields in his eyes were specialised to expel, reflect and concentrate solar radiation, this would account for heat vision, and if these fields also filtered visible light from x-rays, there's his x-ray vision. if kryptonite damaged the cells, and red sun radiation contaminated yellow sun reserves, this would explain when they make him powerless, and why krytonite causes him pain. these are just my ideas, i dont have any evidence to back them up, nor am i posting these as factsmile

zetaprime
oh, and sorry about the wall of text Allanklessad didn't see that before
i'll make sure to adaptsmile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.