The Debate: Are Foreign Football (Soccer) Players Ruining English Talent?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Alpha Centauri
Discuss.

Answer the question with "Yes" or "No", then give reasons for why you've decided that, or if you have an alternate answer, give it.

Please consider your reaction before you post, try not to be an idiot about it.

-AC

Deano
no, if english talent is there, it will be spotted.

Wayne rooney for example, foreigners didnt stop him did they?

His raw talent got him where he is now.

The only problem is that there are ore overseas players in a team than englishman. Average englishman just dont play. To play you have to be a very good player, simple as that.

And the harsh fact is that there are consistantly more better overseas players.

Alpha Centauri
Who are you and what have you done with Deano?

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Deano

The only problem is that there are ore overseas players in a team than englishman. Average englishman just dont play. To play you have to be a very good player, simple as that.

Which is a good thing.

As Wenger said, lowering the level doens't make anyone better; if anything it makes them worse.

Deano
yeh he is right

i enjoy football. if managers want to pick overseas players then, thats fine with me.

Discos
No.

I regularly watch England U21's and a couple of Under 19's internationals and they have great talent.

English players arn't usually skilful and dont have the european talent that seems to win over english managers. I don't think for a second any of the top 4 teams in England would have bought a player like Jamie Carragher.

Get their fingers out and perhaps look beyond West Ham and Southampton's youth academy for up and coming talents.

Alpha Centauri

Df02
Carrick cost 18.6m actually big grin

I don't think it's ruining English talent, I think what's wrong is Championship and lower clubs are demanding way too much money for their English players purely because they're English.

Victor Von Doom

Discos

vandalworks
i think its interesting how little british players fare and are successful overseas. there just hasnt been that many. linekar was possibly the last decent british player to do well overseas?

agree with df02

Alpha Centauri
The fact that Carrick cos two million more than Thierry Henry is quite silly.

-AC

vandalworks

Discos

Deano
yeh but henry is 30 now. carrick is only early 20's.

Alpha Centauri

Bicnarok

Alpha Centauri
How is that foreigners faults, though?

The national squad being shit has nothing to do with foreigners in the league.

-AC

Bicnarok

Alpha Centauri
Unless you can factually prove they are shit, beyond all deniability, as a truth, stop saying they aren't as if I am wrong. Express it as your opinion.

-AC

lordboo
if there good enough they will make,class always tells.
even if they dont make to a top 4 premiership club the other prem clubs will reap the benefits in the end.
so to answer youre original question -no,its just an excuse for a under achieving nation.
40 odd years of failure being blamed on about 10years influx worth of forign players is a easy excuse.

Deano

Discos
I know its only a game, but in Football Manager 2008, I am always being told to offlaod my english youth players are they are not good enough. I am Newcastle and have to look abroad to find good players.

Perhaps the youngsters are not impressing that much, I also think that people are over-the-top impressed with some fancy stepovers and dribbling past the opponent. Foreigners like to show off and it seems to impress alot of people, I dont see the fuss I just want to see people get the job done so they can actually have A JOB in the game.

Sone Aluko is an english U19 international on loan from Birmingham up here in Aberdeen at the moment, he does the fancy stepovers and yes it is a joy to watch someone with natural skill up in the SPL...but he also gets the job done and knows that if a stepover fails the fans will get really pissed off.

When Ronaldo first arrived at Man Utd (and on the TV screens bassically), I was sick to death of all the football dudes at my school trying to show off the fancy stepovers, as a Defender it was quite amusing to simply knick the ball off them with ease....really annoyed me

Bicnarok

Alpha Centauri

Discos
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

England will almost definitely get the result they need tonight, because it's too good to be true that they will go out. I'm just gonna wait and watch while everyone forgets their current form and says "SEE!".

-AC

I wish I was watching the game with you just now, we would have a barmy.

Alpha Centauri
I'm not feeling safe, but in all honesty I couldn't have even bet on this.

England's shitness SO FAR has surprised even me.

"Pitch, gotta be.", just watch.

-AC

Bicnarok

Alpha Centauri

Discos
Me and my friends had a discussion yesterday about why England has the best league and it was an interesting one.

We could only nme about 7 world class players who actually are WORLD CLASS. There are some who are just names and don t perform well.

It was revolved round that if Ronaldo wanted to win World Player of the year he had to get out the Premiership. No one in the premiership has won that title as far as I can remember, I think Beckham and Owen have been thereabouts but thats about it.

jaden101
i dont think foreign players ruin the British domestic leagues or national teams...i think chronic underinvestment in sports over successive governments has done the most damage...and more so at the top end

take France as an example...in the mid 80's when the Platini era was beginning to come to an end people lost any kind of interest in football in france...the government and the french league then invested huge sums of money into the cream of footballing talent and by 1998, when the french public barely cared that the world cup was being held on their doorstep or about how their team would do, they went and won it in style thanks to the ivestment bringing about the likes of players such as Henry, Trezeguet, Viera, Dechamps, Petit, Guivarch, Desailly, Lebouef, Djorkaef, Zidane

they got to the top and the investment has decreased and now their place is slipping

i also think that massive government investment in the British domestic teams might now take place seeing as all 4 failed to qualify for euro 2008 and if people kick up enough trouble about it then it can perhaps kick start some investment in football

granted it would be much more difficult to do it for 4 national sides

jaden101
Originally posted by Discos
Me and my friends had a discussion yesterday about why England has the best league and it was an interesting one.

We could only nme about 7 world class players who actually are WORLD CLASS. There are some who are just names and don t perform well.

It was revolved round that if Ronaldo wanted to win World Player of the year he had to get out the Premiership. No one in the premiership has won that title as far as I can remember, I think Beckham and Owen have been thereabouts but thats about it.

the player of the year trophy's tend to go to players from the teams that are considered to be the giants of european football historically

AC Milan, Real Madrid, Juventus, Liverpool and to a lesser extent now Ajax and Bayern Munich...these are the teams that have the UEFA badge of honour and are allowed to keep the trophy permanantly

obviously recently Barcelona as well

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Bicnarok

The amount of Foreign players is damaging the England national team.

Proof?

When you're trying to think of some and you can't, you'll realise it's one of those points that you should think through before you espouse it as fact.
Originally posted by Bicnarok

Another problem is that the club teams are to most people more important than the national team, I saw this in a poll somewhere. In other countries like Germany and Italy the national team is more important and the players KNOW IT, thats the difference.

Why is that a problem? If that's what they prefer, then why go to lengths to detract from the Premier League on some spurious Sun newspaper inspired idiocy that wouldn't even help the national side?

On another note, a team had 11 foreigners on the field in the CL the other night.

Inter.

Their national team is doing OK, I think. Haven't checked since May 06, so maybe something's changed.

People need to realise that England's players aren't all that. Just because there is a collective dreamwish that they are world class doesn't make it so. There are no reasons to search for, other than the fact that English players aren't very good. To change that, you change coaching at a young age. You don't replace better players with inferior ones.

Dregh
I don't know what English Talent you are talking about, really.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.