The official "Back to the Future" series thread.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Adam Hussein
Sorry if this has already been done, but I've searched the forum and haven't been able to find anything on this, so I thought I'd start a new thread on it anyway.

I don't think I need to explain what this thread is about, as the title alone should say enough, but for all you BTTF fans such as myself out there, what mistakes did you notice were made in each film? What confused you?

Here are a few things I don't understand:

BTTF 1: Basically, when Marty goes back in time to 1955 and accidently bumps into his parents; causing his own mother to have the hots for him and not meet up with his dad, he prevents his own birth, therefore unless he gets his parents back together in just a matter of time he will 'erase from existence'. Hence why his siblings started gradually disappearing from his family photo. However, the Marty who carries the photo comes from a divergent timeline in which his entire family exists; he was born, he has his own life history and existence. So for as long as he exists these things will. Even if our divergent timeline approach is not the truth, a logical consideration of the matter will quickly dispense with any notion of these "symptoms" of the temporal anomaly being possible. Although it has not yet been determined whether his parents will get back together or not; he is in theory vanishing because his parents have not gotten together in the future which is his past. Because he is attempting to restore his families past there is still a chance they'll get married. He more or less real based on the likelihood of his birth, so it is not a percent of probability. Were that the case, he would become non corporeal, ghostly, and lose the ability to affect reality at all. At the moment he arrives in the past, he either is real or is not real, and he remains in that state until he either leaves the past or dies there. Which is why the vanishing picture thing made no sense to me, as it either exists or doesn't exist. How could the theoretical other picture even exist? No version of Marty McFly would be carrying a picture of that place with no one in it; nor would the picture make any sense if he were standing on one end, alone in the picture. And a picture of Marty's brother without his head is far more absurd! No, this Marty has a picture, and the picture does not change. Nor does he: he is who he is. He may have no future, but he has a past in an alternate timeline.

BTTF 2: Pretty simple this one, as the only one I can think of now is the fact that Marty and Jennifer went ahead to 2015 to see their own future. The future in which they have their own children and so on. But in reality, if they had both skipped ahead from 1985 to 2015 via the time machine, they wouldn't have been in their home town between that period of time, therefore they wouldn't have grown up to raise a family. So how could they possibly have gone 30 years into their own future to see themselves as a couple of middle-aged parents?

BTTF 3: In the photo Marty takes of the gravestone which shows Doc's death, it says "Missed by his beloved Clara". But Clara died in the ravine, hence it's name "Clayton Ravine". When Marty went back, Doc saved Clara, preventing her death. Therefore, in 1955, before Marty went back to 1885, Doc wouldn't have saved her, leaving her for dead, so how could she be Docs "beloved Clara?"

Meanwhile, if doc couldn't repair the DeLorean after it was struck by lightning and had to leave plans on how to fix the time circuits using 1955 componants, how did he build the time circuits for his train?

So, let me hear your queries. wink

PVS
what always bugged me is this.

george mcfly knew that his wife had the hots for marty in 1955....then years later she has a kid that looks just like him and names it after him.

so wouldn't george's logic dictate that marty had paid a visit and did the nasty with her, leaving him cuckolded? think about that.

Mando
Originally posted by Adam Hussein

Here are a few things I don't understand:
BTTF 2: Pretty simple this one, as the only one I can think of now is the fact that Marty and Jennifer went ahead to 2015 to see their own future. The future in which they have their own children and so on. But in reality, if they had both skipped ahead from 1985 to 2015 via the time machine, they wouldn't have been in their home town between that period of time, therefore they wouldn't have grown up to raise a family. So how could they possibly have gone 30 years into their own future to see themselves as a couple of middle-aged parents?

I agree with you to an extent on your comments for the first movie. But here is something I have to say about your thoughts on the sequel. When something travels through time, They goes through to an entire new 'world' so to speak. So they are time traveling to an entirely different time span. Time repeats itself, over and over again. They just so happened to go into a different thread of time Ahead of them. Basically, We are just a repeat of what has already happened before. So they really saw their 'long set' path. A persons Long set path makes it so you are given an option when seeing your future. If one was able to see his or her future, they could change their lives. Because every living thing follows a long set path. A long set path cannot be changed, unless you know what that path consists of. Thus, 'Donnie Darko'. Albert Einstein, and Richard Kelly taught me most of the things I know about Time travel.

Time Travel is a extremely hard topic to discuss.

Adam Hussein
Originally posted by PVS
what always bugged me is this.

george mcfly knew that his wife had the hots for marty in 1955....then years later she has a kid that looks just like him and names it after him.

so wouldn't george's logic dictate that marty had paid a visit and did the nasty with her, leaving him cuckolded? think about that.

Yes, that too.

Although he did claim that his name was 'Calvin Klein' to his parents, but I still find it a bit odd how they didn't see anything unusual in the fact that their son turned out to be an exact replica of their old high school friend whom they've never seen since they got back together at the school dance.

Adam Hussein
Originally posted by Mando
I agree with you to an extent on your comments for the first movie. But here is something I have to say about your thoughts on the sequel. When something travels through time, They goes through to an entire new 'world' so to speak. So they are time traveling to an entirely different time span. Time repeats itself, over and over again. They just so happened to go into a different thread of time Ahead of them. Basically, We are just a repeat of what has already happened before. So they really saw their 'long set' path. A persons Long set path makes it so you are given an option when seeing your future. If one was able to see his or her future, they could change their lives. Because every living thing follows a long set path. A long set path cannot be changed, unless you know what that path consists of. Thus, 'Donnie Darko'. Albert Einstein, and Richard Kelly taught me most of the things I know about Time travel.

Time Travel is a extremely hard topic to discuss.

Good point, would make sense.

PVS
actually she knew his name at the end, didnt she?

"marty...thats a nice name" or something like that

Adam Hussein
Originally posted by PVS
actually she knew his name at the end, didnt she?

"marty...thats a nice name" or something like that

Yes, IIRC, he told her that Marty was just what everybody called him.

Mando
Oops, I forgot to move this to the Sci-fi thread.

Moving...

Wolfie
Do you really remember exactly what your friends looked like 30 years ago? Especially if you only knew them for a week? Marty took no pictures with anyone, so there is no lasting memory of Marty's appearance. When he was born years later, George and Lorraine saw their son grow up and it's not unbelievable that they don't notice that he looks like "Calvin Klein" from 30 years ago.

I thought it was kinda weird when Lorraine said "Marty, that's a nice name," and then they wind up naming their third kid after him.

And for your argument, the order of them disappearing makes sense, though they should have disappeared entirely one at a time. There was still a possibility of them winding up together years later and totally skipping the oldest brother, then the sister, and finally Marty. It would have been a paradox if Marty had disappeared though. If Marty never existed, he couldn't have gone back in time to push George out of the way of his grandfather's car. The disappearing head and hand deal was just a way to move the story along.

As for the BTTF 2 argument, if I'm understanding your argument right, it does make sense. Say if Biff took the time machine and never gave it back, then Marty and Jennifer wouldn't appear in the future. But when they went to the future, there was no risk of them not returning to the present and so time was going to occur the same accordingly.

Same goes with the BTTF 3 argument. It was already predetermined that Marty was going to go back to 1885 to save Doc and consequently save Clara. I can't really defend this because why didn't the tombstone change right away then? And the tombstone picture made even less sense than the picture of him and his siblings. Why would a tombstone be placed there with no name on it? And when it turns out neither Doc nor Marty were killed, why is the grave empty? Someone else would have been buried there.

And something they didn't put much thought into with Part 3. Okay, it makes sense that they had Michael J. Fox play Shamus McFly. But why did Lea Thompson play Maggie McFly? Lea Thompson's primary character, Lorraine Baines, isn't a McFly by blood so it doesn't make sense that one of George McFly's ancestors looks like his wife.

Deano
balls, u would remember what someone looked like 30 years ago.

and another note..its just a movie.

Wolfie
But to know someone for a week, have a child, and he grows up to look like him after 30 years? It's not hard to believe that they just didn't notice.

Deano
you would definetly notice for sure. unless you are braindead. marty played an important role in getting his parents together. im sure they id remember someone like that

Ushgarak
These aren't actually 'mistakes' at all and it is a misnomer to call them so. It's like calling the rumble of Star Destroyers in space a 'mistake', or any blaster gun in a film, or the use of magic in fantasy.

It's nothing to do with science- it is style. BTTF has a style in which that if you destroy your own past, your existance slowly fades away. That is their stylistic choice. It's a film with a time travelling car, for God's sake- stop trying to apply some sort of logical rationale behind the time travel.

And you talk of 'alternate timelines' as if ANY of that was hard science.

Adam Hussein
Originally posted by Ushgarak
These aren't actually 'mistakes' at all and it is a misnomer to call them so. It's like calling the rumble of Star Destroyers in space a 'mistake', or any blaster gun in a film, or the use of magic in fantasy.

It's nothing to do with science- it is style. BTTF has a style in which that if you destroy your own past, your existance slowly fades away. That is their stylistic choice. It's a film with a time travelling car, for God's sake- stop trying to apply some sort of logical rationale behind the time travel.

I wasn't saying that, I was just pointing out what struck me about the films. :/

Adam Hussein
Originally posted by Ushgarak

I wasn't saying that, I was just pointing out what struck me about the films. :/

EDIT: I guess 'mistakes' was the wrong choice of words though. Perhaps 'questions' would've been better. Heh.

SpyCspider
I read this somewhere about BTF1.

We know the McFly's have quite the sh*tty life when we are at first introduced to them. Marty is sort of a delinquent, his dad is bullied at work, mom's a drunk, kids are total losers. Therefore, Marty befriends Doc as his escape from pressures of life.

Ok, then he goes back to time and changes his fate. When he comes back to the future, his family is all living well...everyone's got jobs, their house doesn't look like crap, etc. And when Marty comes back he sees his 1985 self at the Mall parking lot going back in time with the Doc that was just shot.

The question is, why would this new Marty befriend Doc as well after he's already traveled back in time and changed the McFly life? Unless Doc sought him out in order to see the events occur. I guess this goes along with "why did Lorraine name her 3rd son Marty?"

Wolfie
Well, we don't know that's the reason Marty became friends with Doc. They could've became friends by some unrelated event years before the movie began that we are just never told.

Wolfie
Originally posted by Deano
you would definetly notice for sure. unless you are braindead. marty played an important role in getting his parents together. im sure they id remember someone like that
Well, neither of us are 30 so it's kinda hard to discuss this.

Remember, they're in high school. Shit happens in high school. I'm sure there were a lot of other teens that had significant roles on their lives at that point.

Now, I'm not saying they'll just totally forget what he looks like. But as time passes, the details of someone does fade. I knew people ten years ago that I couldn't point out in the street if I saw them again.

mrbumble
I can't even remember people I met last SUMMER, so I guess I can imagine that Marty's parent's might not remember him 30 years later.

Though PVS does raise a good point- I can imagine George perhaps wondering if Marty showed up again around the late 60's for about an hour when he was work... smile

Deano
no. they would remember him 30 years later. he was very important to them when he went back in time. he got knocked down by his grandad, he got kissed by his mom. yeh trust me, she would defiently rememeber him. andso would george

Hit_and_Miss
remember how they all knew about the enchanentment under the sea dance.... cause the 'rents never shut up about it....
hey.... how did you meet her george???
G: "well a good friend of mine tried to set me up with her... *hang on*.... He looked exactly like my son....
....and the vomiting starts....
and then the wife can feel bad cause she sneeked a peak at her own son...

In texas I'm sure you could do the mother for child molestation...

Wolfie
Yes, they would remember him. If they remembered exactly what he looked like after 30 years, the conversation would sound as ridiculous as what Hit_and_Miss was saying.

Deano
but its a film though, so lets not worry. in reality, she would of remembered

bloodboys2blueb
I think she would have remebered and george too but only mildly because marty would have aged unless he had the time machine santa Happy Dance

powerfulone1987
One problem with number 2, which is my favorite, is that when Old Biff stole the time machine and went and gave his young self the sports book, when he came back the future should have been altered, but it wasn't, instead when the professor and marty went back to their time, then they decided to show the affects.

There are other mistakes, but that's for another day.

is it comprehensible.....

Wolfie
Yeah, I thought that was weird too. I guess we don't see the great changes because 1) Biff changed history 60 years ago, and 2) Marty and Doc go back to 1985 right after Biff returns the time machine.

SpyCspider
wasn't that the reason why Old Biff was "dying?" Because he changed his own future? He came back and got all worked up, huffing and puffing, and keeling over (and leaving part of his cane in the car no less). I read that somewhere as well.

steverules
No he died cause apparently in the new 1985 when Biff changed the whole 1985 when he gave himself a sports allminac and so he then married Lorraine in 1985 and then Lorraine later shot him in the 90's, I found that out on a special video about BTF. So basically she shot him in the 90's and that's why he died.

powerfulone1987
i didn't know he was dying, i thought he was just tired from all the time traveling or something.

And going by what you said with the special video, i guess we would have never known anyway, since the movie doesn't say anything about it.

My favorite moment in 2 is when the girl sees her older self and they do that whole thing at the door. "I'm old!!" "I'm young!!" and then fall out.
I first saw these when i was younger so everything seemed more real and more atmospheric and that was a big moment for me and this movie has a feel to it that no other movie has that i've experienced. At least the first 2 do. Number three sucks.

I also think its amazing how they aged the characters. For what they had back then, they did good with what they had and the characters ended up looking really different when they aged.

Let's see if i can think of another problem. Hmm....

can't think right now, but they're there.

bloodboys2blueb
I am still young so the films still feel great. But I have only seen the first and third films so im i still a fan

powerfulone1987
so if you had seen all of them you wouldn't be?

and you definitely need to see 2 and you should have seen them in order to make it all easier on yourself.

Wolfie
I just figured out that powerfulone1987 is saying "is it comprehensible....." in every post doesn't have anything to do with what he's saying. Very confusing, utilize your signature, buddy.

That's an interesting take, Biff was coughing because he actually changed time to lead to his death. But wouldn't he already be dead by the time he went back to 2015? Would they happen to talk about that on the BTTF DVDs?

steverules
Originally posted by powerfulone1987
i didn't know he was dying, i thought he was just tired from all the time traveling or something.

And going by what you said with the special video, i guess we would have never known anyway, since the movie doesn't say anything about it.

I don't know how you can get tired from time traveling. In the movie there was no character in the movie who knew that Biff was shot in the early 90's, thats why it wasn't mentioned in the film and him fading away was cut from the film because people would be confused and wonder why he was fading away. It was then later shown on the video I have as a deleted scene and they explained that Biff had been shot by his wife Lorraine in the alternate universe that he had created and that is why he faded.

I don't know if they explain it on the DVD's, I will have to check. As to Biff dying as soon as he got back, the delorean gets through time pretty quick, so I guess it got him back fast enough for him to fade away in the future and be wiped from 2015. I'm thinking there is some logical reason why. The original idea for BTTF 1 was that the doc would get Marty back to 1985 by causing a nuclear explosion, I think you can see why they didn't go along with that idea.

bloodboys2blueb
I have now seen all bttf's. I had the trioligy dvds for xmas and I am sure to watch all of them again and again and all of the deleted scenes and things because I also like the bonus'

powerfulone1987
Originally posted by steverules
I don't know how you can get tired from time traveling.

I don't know either, but since they didn't explain, it's what i came up with for myself for it to make a little more since.

And since Time travel has never been done, who's' to say that time traveling doesn't have a tiring effect on the participant(s).

The original idea for BTTF 1 was that the doc would get Marty back to 1985 by causing a nuclear explosion, I think you can see why they didn't go along with that idea.

Does this have anything to do with the other stuff you posted, or was this just something extra and completely different? Just wondering.

Wolfie
After some time thinking about it, I would assume Biff's disappearing in BTTF 2 would occur much like Marty's disappearing in the first movie. First, he couldn't play the guitar anymore, then he fell over, then his hand started to disappear. So that's why Biff was tired when he got back to 2015. I guess it's one of those little things you have to look for (i.e. Twin Pines Mall turns into Lone Pine Mall, Clayton Ravine turns into Eastwood Ravine).

steverules
I don't know either, but since they didn't explain, it's what i came up with for myself for it to make a little more since.

And since Time travel has never been done, who's' to say that time traveling doesn't have a tiring effect on the participant(s).

Does this have anything to do with the other stuff you posted, or was this just something extra and completely different? Just wondering.

I don't think he was tired, I think he was probably dying when I think about it, it does make sense as to why he seemed tired. And the other stuff I posted was something extra. wink I'm a nerd when it comes to BTTF.

bloodboys2blueb
When Old Biff goes back to 1955 the young Biff lives in a granny house so this could mean he is poor. But when he wins all the bets with the book, he becomes filthy rich and he starts buying pointless items. And if you notice Biff smokes in alternate 1985 so maybe he has a smoking problem. But I don't know why he was fading. BUt if Old Biff changed Biff from 1955 rich causing the alternate 1985 then when Old Biff goes back he changes 2015 to the alternate 2015

steverules
I don't think so since he is dead in 2015.

SpyCspider
hahah randomness..

what was a black bear doing living in the desert? BTF3.

powerfulone1987
If you will read earlier post, it is explained that he was slowly dying and fading away and why, and because of this, 2015 isn't altered because he altered the timeline where he doesn't live in the year 2015, therefore having no affect on it, no visible affect anyway. Im sure his family and other little things like that are affected by his death and his grandsons, if he has one since he died, doesn't have him around anymore to wax and buff his car and stuff like that.

powerfulone1987
number 3 was on today, but we don't have the channel so i couldn't look at it, even thought its the worse one, but since they've been coming on lately for some reason and i looked at 1 and 2 again, i thought i might as way look at 3 again.

Anybody know why they are showing them all of a sudden all over tv, maybe just a random thing and thought they'd bring them back out again for a while.

bksdrums
These are good arguments. If I remember correctly, in part 3, Doc was supposed to meet a school teacher at the train station when she arrived. When Marty came back, he stopped Doc from meeting Clara. So, even if Marty never went back to 1885, Doc still would've met Clara. I may be wrong on this, but I could swear thats how Doc was supposed to meet Clara originally. But if he did meet her at the train station as originally planned, she never would have gone off in the ravine.

steverules
Thats why she wouldn't have crashed into the ravine. Wait a minute, after doc had saved Clara he found out that the ravine was named after her and was worried that he had gone and ruined the future. But he had already changed time, if he was gonna go see her at the train station then she wouldn't have died so either way he changed it so why get worried over this when she was gonna live anyway?

bloodboys2blueb
Why is the Clayton ravine called this before, even though she does not fall in

bloodboys2blueb
I think it is clever that in bttf1 Biff calls George Mcfly a "Irish Bug" and martys great-great granparents came to america from ireland alien

SpyCspider
Thats why she wouldn't have crashed into the ravine. Wait a minute, after doc had saved Clara he found out that the ravine was named after her and was worried that he had gone and ruined the future. But he had already changed time, if he was gonna go see her at the train station then she wouldn't have died so either way he changed it so why get worried over this when she was gonna live anyway?

yea that part never made sense to me.

Unless Doc and Clara met in 1885....then Doc gets shot first...tombstone says "beloved by Clara"

Then Clara goes and plunges down the ravine....out of lost love or whatever...hence, Clayton ravine.

It's all a bit screwed up.

bloodboys2blueb
IN bttf2 you can see two people in the time machine when marty from bttf1 goes back to 1985. BUt you must look ver carefully or use the slow and pause button if you have it on dvd

bloodboys2blueb
In back to the future3 at the end of the film Clayton Ravine changes to Eastwood ravine even though nobody except Doc and Clara seen Marty/Clint Eastwood fall off

Wolfie
They obviously told people.

"What ever happened to your Clint Eastwood friend?"

"He tragically fell off the ravine with the train."

bloodboys2blueb
Oh yea thanks

Wolfie
Actually, being the heartless bastard I am, I was saying that Doc should've just got in the car at the end and let Clara die on the train. That would've set time right, the ravine would've been called Clayton Ravine again.

steverules
Then again it might have ruined it since his grave had her name on meaning that she had meant to live.

Wolfie
She lived only because Doc went back to 1885. If Doc hadn't been at that time, Clara would've died.

steverules
There wasn't much he could have done to prevent going back and saving her by meeting her at the station any way. Past was re written as soon as he made that time machine.

bloodboys2blueb
If Doc and Marty prevented any death then wouldent the tombstone have Docs name on it. He would have died through a natural course of time. I mean if he was about 50 or 60 something in bttf and the letter Marty got in 1955 was not given to him for 70 years then Doc could not have possibly lived that long

Wolfie
There wasn't much he could have done to prevent going back and saving her by meeting her at the station any way. Past was re written as soon as he made that time machine.
Ah, so you're going by the fate thing. Well, if the past was already rewritten when Doc made the time machine....

1) Marty's dad wouldn't be such a wuss at the beginning of the movie.
2) Biff wouldn't be so tough at the beginning.
3) Marty's mom wouldn't be so heavy at the beginning.
4) Twin Pines Mall would already be called Lone Pine Mall.
5) They wouldn't have even remembered the ravine as Clayton Ravine.

There are many reasons, I just named a few I could think of. Time changes only at the time they change it.

Wolfie
Originally posted by bloodboys2blueb
If Doc and Marty prevented any death then wouldent the tombstone have Docs name on it. He would have died through a natural course of time. I mean if he was about 50 or 60 something in bttf and the letter Marty got in 1955 was not given to him for 70 years then Doc could not have possibly lived that long
Yes, Doc would be dead still. His grave wouldn't necessarily be in the same place though.

Which brings up something that doesn't make sense in Part 3. When Marty and Doc both live at the end, the picture of the tombstone turns into a picture of the dirt. Why would they leave that gravespot empty? Why not bury someone else there?

steverules
Time was rewritten, marty went into the past in the future, so the the future him changed the past, it was all set, if he had gone forward in time to the day he went back to 1955 then he would go back and find his dad changed.

powerfulone1987
okay, that above message was written so poorly and confusing. No offense.

How does someone "go into the past in the future"?

And yall have hit so many good/bad points that I won't even try and comment on them all or any of them for that matter. Just confusing getting all of that information at once. I must need to watch 3 over again, b/c i'm really off on that one, most likely b/c i didn't like that one so much of it wasn't retained in my memory b/c i didn't find it interesting enough.

steverules
Think about it, in 2015 when the doc and Marty went to 2015 they went into the past when they went back to 1985......so they went back in time in the future. Thats the best I can describe it.

bloodboys2blueb
I think Back To The Future 3 is really good just as good as 1 and 2. But I am not sure which is my favourite.

A.D. Skinner
Okay...allow me to put my two cents in...

Something that has always bugged me about BTTF2 and BTTF3 is this...

In the 3rd installment...Marty is upset about leaving Jennifer on her porch in the alternate 1985, but is reassured by Doc, that when they changed the past, the alternate 1985 changed back to the normal 1985 the departed from to begin with....

So therefore, when Biff steals the time machine is 2015 and heads off to the past to give himself the Sports Almanac, shouldn't have their surroundings in 2015 changed immediately?
In fact things did not change, so why was it nessesary to go back to 1955 and stop Biff from giving himself the book, when in 2015, things were status quo ???

SpyCspider
yup that made no sense to me either....unless they were in an alternate future timeline.

But then Doc's reassertion that Jennifer will be fine makes no sense.

bloodboys2blueb
I think just because the surroundings don't change does not mean it still isn't an alternate timeline. Anyway if Biff gets shot by Lorraine in the mid 90's then things wouldn't be as bad in the alternate 2015 as the alternate 1985.
I also spotted on BTTF3 that the bridge which is only half-built is called something like "soncash or noncash bridge" or something weird like that, I can't remember properly. Also why is the Strictland on BTTF3 the only Strictland not to be bald.
And on BTTf1 there is no sign of Biff by the steps on BTTF2. But you can clearly see the steps. But to spot this you might have to watch BTTF1 and 2 seperatly and have a good memory as well.
And on BTTF2 when Doc goes into the future from BTTF1 he sees Marty and Jenifer as middle-aged parents. But then by going back in time to get Marty and Jenifer to come to the future he makes Marty and Jenifer miss all of those years of marriage and kids. Also if they did skip all of them years wouldn't George and Lorraine call the police and be wondering where both of them are.

steverules
He was shot in the 90's so it gives them at least 15 or more years to rebuild.

bloodboys2blueb
If Mad Dog almost shoots Doc in bttf3 but missed because of Marty throwing the frisbie then what stops him from doing it before Marty went back in time. Then the date on the tombstone should be 5th September

bloodboys2blueb
If you watch BTTF1 and 2 seperatly you can see the girl Marty pushes past after George punched Biff is completely diffrent not even a glimpse of the same girl

steverules
I know I noticed that to. eek!

bloodboys2blueb
Great minds notice alike

powerfulone1987
Think about it, in 2015 when the doc and Marty went to 2015 they went into the past when they went back to 1985......so they went back in time in the future. Thats the best I can describe it.

let me help you b/c you're bugging me with this confusing talk.

What you are trying to say it "They went back in time FROM the future".

Originally posted by A.D. Skinner
Okay...allow me to put my two cents in...

Something that has always bugged me about BTTF2 and BTTF3 is this...

In the 3rd installment...Marty is upset about leaving Jennifer on her porch in the alternate 1985, but is reassured by Doc, that when they changed the past, the alternate 1985 changed back to the normal 1985 the departed from to begin with....

So therefore, when Biff steals the time machine is 2015 and heads off to the past to give himself the Sports Almanac, shouldn't have their surroundings in 2015 changed immediately?
In fact things did not change, so why was it nessesary to go back to 1955 and stop Biff from giving himself the book, when in 2015, things were status quo ???

First of all you mean the 2nd installment, not the 3rd.

The surroundings in 2015 don't change b/c like it's been said in here mutlitple times, by doing this Biff causes a change in time back in the 90's where he gets shot by Lorraine, so 2015 isn't affected in a big way b/c he doesn't exist in it. I'm sure it has affected his immediate family and stuff in some way but not 2015 as a whole.

And they don't go back to 1955 to stop Biff from giving the book to himself b/c he does give the book to himself, they just get the book back from the young Biff.
And it's necessary to get the book back b/c even though it doesn't affect 2015, it does affect 1985.

And I've just brought up something that asks for pondering.
If 2015 doesn't change b/c Biff gets shot earlier on it still doesn't make since b/c it does affect 1985 and Marty's father gets shot by Biff in this alternate timeline so even though Biff dies before 2015, Marty's father should have been dead too because he died in the alternate 1985 b/c of Old Biff going back and making himself rich. And so Lorraine wouldn't have been with him. And a bunch of other stuff could be said wrong about this.
Surprised this wasn't noticed earlier. And since Lorraine we don't know how Lorraine would have turned out in the alternate time line b/c she was out of it when it changed and was brought back and just left at her alternate house, who knows if she and Marty would have still ended up together in 2015, so yeah, besides the whole Biff being rich in 2015, which wouldn't happened b/c he died before 2015 as a result of him going back and changing time, other things would have changed that didn't.

And for the other person who was asking about why if they went into the future and skipped all of there marriage years, why would they still be married in the future. They future wouldn't change in this way because they still ended up going back to their time to live out their lives, so that's why it still shows them as a "middle aged married couple".

Ushgarak
I'd just take the old fashioned expl;anation that the change only occurs instantly in a relative sense- i.e. if you are the time travellers that caused it.

So for Biff, the future would have changed very quickly, but for Doc and Marty, it stays the same until they leave it (at which point they can never return until it is restored).

Meanwhile, as to why the Doc didn't make an effort to return the 'correct' timeline by making sure Clara died...

He is a guy from the 1980s living in the 1880s who already cheated via time to save his life once! I think he's long accepted that there is no concept of 'correct' time, merely better or worse. He thought Clara living was better, oddly enough...

steverules
let me help you b/c you're bugging me with this confusing talk.

What you are trying to say it "They went back in time FROM the future".

First of all you mean the 2nd installment, not the 3rd.

The surroundings in 2015 don't change b/c like it's been said in here mutlitple times, by doing this Biff causes a change in time back in the 90's where he gets shot by Lorraine, so 2015 isn't affected in a big way b/c he doesn't exist in it. I'm sure it has affected his immediate family and stuff in some way but not 2015 as a whole.

And they don't go back to 1955 to stop Biff from giving the book to himself b/c he does give the book to himself, they just get the book back from the young Biff.
And it's necessary to get the book back b/c even though it doesn't affect 2015, it does affect 1985.

And I've just brought up something that asks for pondering.
If 2015 doesn't change b/c Biff gets shot earlier on it still doesn't make since b/c it does affect 1985 and Marty's father gets shot by Biff in this alternate timeline so even though Biff dies before 2015, Marty's father should have been dead too because he died in the alternate 1985 b/c of Old Biff going back and making himself rich. And so Lorraine wouldn't have been with him. And a bunch of other stuff could be said wrong about this.
Surprised this wasn't noticed earlier. And since Lorraine we don't know how Lorraine would have turned out in the alternate time line b/c she was out of it when it changed and was brought back and just left at her alternate house, who knows if she and Marty would have still ended up together in 2015, so yeah, besides the whole Biff being rich in 2015, which wouldn't happened b/c he died before 2015 as a result of him going back and changing time, other things would have changed that didn't.

And for the other person who was asking about why if they went into the future and skipped all of there marriage years, why would they still be married in the future. They future wouldn't change in this way because they still ended up going back to their time to live out their lives, so that's why it still shows them as a "middle aged married couple".

I never said it was the third installment roll eyes (sarcastic) And that was what I was trying to say or did say, I guess every one else knew what I was talkin about.

bloodboys2blueb
I think I know what your on about.

And I'm not sure if any of you noticed but I found a new mistake in BTTF1, but I can't believe I did not see it before. If you notice when Marty goes to see Doc at Twin Pines Mall(Lone Pine Mall). Martys skateboard wheels change colour from yellow to pink when he strokes Einstein

steverules
Thats a wierd mistake to realise......

bloodboys2blueb
Its just that I've seen BTTF1 so many times I always expected the same but then I just happend to notice

powerfulone1987
I never said it was the third installment roll eyes (sarcastic) And that was what I was trying to say or did say, I guess every one else knew what I was talkin about.

If you'll look carefully you see that the second half of my message, which is clearly beneath another dialogue box in my post, where I noted that it was the 2nd and not the 3rd was directed to A.D. Skinner, not you.

bloodboys2blueb
who is "you"?

powerfulone1987
god people, pay attention. it's like dialogue boxes surpass you. If I take the time to qoute somebody and respond to it, then obviously I am talking to the person that i qouted. I mean how more obvious can I be. I might as well not qoute in this thread if it's not going to do any good.
How ironic, I qoute a thread to set them straight on qouting just to be questioned by someone else on the thread that's meant to correct something else.

OH, and in case there's any confusiong:

THIS POST IS DIRECTED TOWARDS bloodboys2blueb.

bloodboys2blueb
ALright take a chill pill

powerfulone1987
i would if people would just catch on

steverules
Well I'm sure you have made mistakes as well.

bloodboys2blueb
I have noticed that on BTTF2 when young and old Biff are in the car, in Biffs garage. When old Biff gives the almanac to young Biff a part of old Biffs arm disapeers because of the split screen used to show both Biffs

steverules
LOL.

bloodboys2blueb
Ah, why do people do that stupid "lol" thing

powerfulone1987
haha, that's comical.

someone responds to your post in a positive way and then gets shot down.

Not taking sides here, just find it funny.

(And I didn't use "lol", I spelled out my emotions)

steverules
Ah, why do people do that stupid "lol" thing

Because it's tradition, get used to it.yes

bloodboys2blueb
Alrigt I will TRY to get used to it but I have an idea. Its sorta like a quiz.
If your a true BTTF fan then you should be able to answer this:

In BTTF1 what date does Marty go back to?

steverules
HHHHHMMMMMMm I haven't seen part 1 in a while.......I believe that it was november 5th 1955.........correct I believe smokin'

bloodboys2blueb
Yep, correct

Now why don't one of you do the same

steverules
HHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMM

OOOOOOHHHH, I got a pretty hard one.
What were the docs and claras kids called?

bloodboys2blueb
Um Jules and Verne

steverules
Yeah thats right now give me another.

powerfulone1987
What well known actor played a little child in Back to the Future 2?
And it's not as if this movie spawned many well known actors so it's not like you have a huge scope to choose from. And it's not a trick question so the answer is Michael Fox. This answer if very obvious.......if you know it.

bloodboys2blueb
Elijaiy Wood or I just call him Frodo. I couldent believe it but I only found out by looking at the Back to the Future actors filmography. But now that I know I'm suprised I didn't notice before. I mean the arcade game kid and "Frodo" look the same.

OK I got one: When Marty goes to 2015, who is director of Jaws19

bloodboys2blueb
Why are is it only us three in this thread now. What happened to deano and that Hussain guy

steverules
Dunno....I'm still tryin to work out the director, I should be able to get it in moment.

steverules
Ok I remember, I couldn't make the name out very well but I think what it said was Mai Speilberg, from what I could make out. Ask me another. LOL, I just remembered in year 8 every one knew that I was obsessed with BTTF and in this quiz we got given a BTTF question and everyone started complaining and lookin at me and sayin how steve would get it right and you know what I did....I was rather proud off that moment, even though it was an easy questio: Who plays Marty McFly in the back to the future films? I even made a paper on the films, we had to choose something and make it into a speech and I decided to do the BTTF films, it was fun. Now give me another, I like using my BTTF knowledge.

bloodboys2blueb
Your wrong on the director thing but it was so close, The director is Max Speilburg. I am in year nine and we do things like little presentations but I never wondered to do a BTTF one. Usually I do something in a group that we MUST do or one time I did it alone, I done a presentation on Cardiff City F.C(Bluebirds).

Q: What was the book called that George Mcfly wrote

steverules
Well you can't really blame me it was hard to see, if only that x had been more clear. Anyway the book was called a match made in space, now I am sure that is correct.

bloodboys2blueb
Yep and it was pretty unfair question(thedirector)
Who's first acting job was as the judge for Martys band

steverules
HHHHMMMMMM thats tough, I don't recall anyone off them becoming famous. I'll have to think about this one.

steverules
I'm gonna have to pass, I only know answers to something like what does the time machine run off in 2? or Something hard that is about the movies.

bloodboys2blueb
Well googd point. But the answer was Huey Lewis.

Q: In BTTF2 what happens to the clocktower building in alternate 1985

steverules
It is turned into a cassino by Biff. I remember watching that and that was the thing I noticed when I saw that building.
Ok what will the next one be. I can find out who plays main characters and all that, like biff, marty, doc etc etc.

Wolfie
Ummm... good for you, we all can. If we didn't already know Michael J. Fox plays Marty and Christopher Lloyd plays Doc, we are all aware of IMDb.com and can check for that.

When did this turn into a trivia thread? We have a whole forum for that.

steverules
Fine then I'll make a thread called question steve on BTTF, all the q's and my knowledge of BTTF will finally be put to the test.

steverules
Done. Now get you're ass over there and ask me q's. wink

bloodboys2blueb
Well its not as if we ask too much about bttf mistakes

bloodboys2blueb
Lets not forget about this thread

steverules
No but lets go on steves thread since it is so cool. laughing

bloodboys2blueb
Powerfulone1987 should try it

steverules
My advert for my thread is copyrighted ya'll.

bloodboys2blueb
steve, you should try back to the future 4 thread and put a quote on it from bttf

steverules
OK!

bloodboys2blueb
Does anyone think there is more than 75million people that like bttf triology

bloodboys2blueb
stevedoesnotrule

steverules
mad HEY THERE WAS NO CALL FOR THAT!!!!!!!!!

bloodboys2blueb
yeh alright. I was just joking. I mean you could do the some to me(bloodboysnot2bluebirds)

steverules
Well you just did it for me so there ain't much point now.

bloodboys2blueb
If anyone has the bttf triology dvds, there are lots of questions to ask about bttf triology and in the bonus features lots of them can be answered. But you have to read a lot. If you choose bttf3 bonus there is a link to FAQs about the triology and I feel that I know more about bttf than ever. I know why Biff vanished from the future now: Lorraine shot him in 1996

powerfulone1987
umm.....we've already established this multiple times. Have you been reading other's posts or just writing your own?

bloodboys2blueb
Well most people only said that Biff was shot in the mid 90's but did not know the exact year

is it comprehensible.....(why do you say this)

powerfulone1987
Either way, we already knew what happened, nothing new.

And if you were just restating it to emphasize you knew the year, you should have brought that to attention that you found out the year. It seems like you're just stating what's already been stated many times.

SpyCspider

is it comprehensible.....(why do you say this)

it's part of his sig no expression

bloodboys2blueb
Either way, we already knew what happened, nothing new.

And if you were just restating it to emphasize you knew the year, you should have brought that to attention that you found out the year. It seems like you're just stating what's already been stated many times.

Well actually I was telling people that many of the mistakes/questions that many people ask can be answered by what is said on the dvd. And the Biff getting shot incident was one of the easiest to state

bloodboys2blueb
Originally posted by SpyCspider
it's part of his sig no expression

Well then why does he stops using it on pg 5 and more

powerfulone1987
it is all explained in the off topics forum if you can find the thread.

bloodboys2blueb
I've noticed that when Doc and Marty go back to 1955(bttf2). Doc says "Remember that incident at the courthouse that event doesn't happen until tonight"(or something like that). But when he tells us this it is already night but I guess you can argue that it is very early morning

bloodboys2blueb
BLUEBIRDS
(My new sig)

SpyCspider
IT IS very early morning. They went back almost a day earlier. Otherwise, you wouldn't have seen Marty sneaking around 1955 in the morning with the sun up, watching Biff steal those kids' ball, watch Biff hit on his mom, and Old Biff giving young Biff the almanac...

bloodboys2blueb
Oh yeah. I think its clever how Docs kids are called Jules and Verne and his favourite book/author is Jules Verne

bloodboys2blueb
BLUEBIRDS(I FORGOT ABOUT IT)

powerfulone1987
double posting again.

now that you know what it is, you need to stop.

bloodboys2blueb
Oh yeah Ha

bloodboys2blueb
BLUEBIRDS

powerfulone1987
ok, i tried to help and thought you got it ,but i guess you just wanted the info to keep acting a fool so......opppssss....i just hit a button.

lil bitchiness
bloodboys2blueb, would you please stop double posting. Its unnecessary.

Thank you.

bloodboys2blueb
BLUE

bloodboys2blueb
BIRDS

bloodboys2blueb
okay thats it

powerfulone1987
I'll guess my finger will have to slip again and once again....oppsss.........
gosh darn my finger just can't stay away from that button. It must really sense you don't like it here and want to get banned for DOUBLE POSTING REPEATEDLY.

bloodboys2blueb
OK OK I WILL STOP DOING IT. Why does one of Biffs(bttf1)cronies chuck Marty in the back of the car and the cronie says "thats for messing up my hair". But his a skinhead

powerfulone1987
good.

bloodboys2blueb
Does anybody know what the middle-aged Marty in bttf2 works as

powerfulone1987
it fails me right now and I can't remember if they mentioned it in the movie. Obviously it was some kind of business/office type work.

bloodboys2blueb
My opinion on his job is that he is something like a music producer or something. But I'm probaly wrong because Marty Jnr. tells his dad that he can "only watch 2 programs on this tele"(even though he is watching 9 programs when he said this). And Lorraine (future) said that "the window is broken" and Hilldale, where the Mcflys live is supposed to be a dangerous place to live so I assume they are not the that well off.

BLUEBIRDS!!!!

powerfulone1987
you lost me at first, i was like what does any of that have to do with his career but I got ya.

bloodboys2blueb
What do you think Marty(older)is working as

powerfulone1987
I don't know.......an accountant?

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>