Euro 2008: Which Team Wil Win??

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Discos
I know its an eternity away, but I was wondering who you all think will win the European Championships of 2008?

Here are the 16 teams who will be in the draw on 2nd December 2007.

Austria
Croatia
Czech Republic
France
Germany
Greece
Italy
Netherlands
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Russia
Spain
Switzerland
Sweden
Turkey

I have yet to check the odds on who is favourites to win, I will do it after this post.

For me, just now, I would put a bet on Germany to win the tournament. Great solid campaign and after they qualified they eased back and played a slightly lesser team against the Czech and they lost 2-0 I think.

Dark horses for me will be Poland & Turkey. Turkey have a strong team and have the desire to win to uplift their own country, also they will want to show Europe that they want to be European?? haha politics. Poland for me have always been a good side, I wasnt impressed wirth them at the World Cup tho, was quite dull to watch.

As usual there may be some shocks in the group stages, 2004 saw 3 big name teams being knocked out by the group stage.

Also as usual there will be high expectations for Spain and perhaps Holland....they always under-achieve and I dont think they will make it past the group.

Alpha Centauri
Germany or France.

-AC

Bicnarok

Discos
Romania? really. Aint been able to see them play or even seen highlights of them. Hope they do do well.

France? due to them barely qualifying for the world cup and the 2 losses to scotland (oh yeeeeah), they are bottom seed.

Victor Von Doom
I'll go with Germany.

Holland if they get their act together.

Dark horse: Switzerland.

Healing Artisan
russia

hopefully Russia, but Germany is gonna take it

chillmeistergen
Probably Germany.

I'm supporting Turkey though.

Healing Artisan
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
Probably Germany.

I'm supporting Turkey though. whats your reason for supporting Turkey?

chillmeistergen
I've lived practically half my life there and feel it to be my second home, well it is my second home. I also love it there.

Healing Artisan
I've lived practically half my life there and feel it to be my second home, well it is my second home. I also love it there. good reason. which part of Turkey did you live in?

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Healing Artisan
good reason. which part of Turkey did you live in?

I've stayed around quite a bit of it. But my family have houses in Bodrum, Dalyan, Izmir, Sarigerme and Fethiye. I never actually lived there full time, but I'd go for a few months each year, sometimes half a year at a time.

Healing Artisan
I've stayed around quite a bit of it. But my family have houses in Bodrum, Dalyan, Izmir, Sarigerme and Fethiye. I never actually lived there full time, but I'd go for a few months each year, sometimes half a year at a time. nice. is it a culturally diverse country? or is it all Turks

chillmeistergen
nice. is it a culturally diverse country? or is it all Turks

Well, it's a bit like most countries really, it depends where you go. If you go to Gumusluk which is a small fishing village, you're likely to be one of a few foreigners. Whereas if you go to a city such as Istanbul or Izmir, you'll meet people from a variety of different nations. If you make the mistake of going to Gumbet, you'll most likely meet fat, tattooed nutters from northern England.

Healing Artisan
Well, it's a bit like most countries really, it depends where you go. If you go to Gumusluk which is a small fishing village, you're likely to be one of a few foreigners. Whereas if you go to a city such as Istanbul or Izmir, you'll meet people from a variety of different nations. If you make the mistake of going to Gumbet, you'll most likely meet fat, tattooed nutters from northern England. i asked cuz i'm Armenian and i heard there were alot of Turkish speaking Armenians in parts of Istanbul and further South. Thanks for the info.

chillmeistergen
i asked cuz i'm Armenian and i heard there were alot of Turkish speaking Armenians in parts of Istanbul and further South. Thanks for the info.

No worries, mate. Yeah I have met a few Armenians in Turkey, I have some good family friends that are Armenian and live in Dalaman.

If you have any questions about Turkey, don't hesitate to sling me a PM. I'm by no means an expert, but I know a little bit.

T.M
I think Germany are playing really well and they will be very hard to beat if they can keep going and the players stay fit..

Italy are always strong, France can either play great football or they are terrible.

For me a Germany, Italy final with Germany winning.

Bicnarok

Discos
agree with all yoru points except one dude, Italy just didnt go out to prove a point just because of scandal - every team wanted to lift the cup but I doubt the players used it as extra push to win.

Germany always do well in the world cup as far as I can remember, reached the playoffs and the finals in thepast 2 tournaments but have had a nightmare being knocked out by dark horses, Bulgaria knocked them out JUST in 1994 and crotaia (oh lovely Croatia) knocked them out in 1998 with a good win (think it was 2-0 or 3-0).

Germany for me still but my heart will be with Croatia, I won't be buying their home shirt this time, every other one I have bought look the same, but I love the away shirt, can't get my hands on the one they wore at Wembley. They didn't wear their away shirt at the world cup though...bummer.

Alpha Centauri
Germany are a tournament team. They always turn it on regardless.

-AC

Slay
Originally posted by Discos
Romania? really. Aint been able to see them play or even seen highlights of them. Hope they do do well.

Honestly, Romania was better than Holland in both their encounters. Don't think they'll win the cup though.

Discos
Hey I aint dissing Romania by any means, I was jast asking "really" did they have a good qualifier. I do see results but dont get to watch them.

sorry if it sounded cheeky or sarcy.

they are in the top 15 of the world rankings, thats not an easy fet. Although I dont see why Holland are like 8th or 7th? they aint done anything really impressive have they?

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Bicnarok

Germany are still on a wave after the World Cup success story, this will fade and even though they play as a unit, the lack of class will tell against any tactically inept team.

Why is a tactically inept team something to fear?

England didn't qualify.

Slay
Originally posted by Discos
they are in the top 15 of the world rankings, thats not an easy fet. Although I dont see why Holland are like 8th or 7th? they aint done anything really impressive have they?
They played a great WC qualification round, which got them to the 3rd place. Then after they played a shit WC, they dropped to #7.

HolyMoly
I guess that France will win, because they have very good players, who play very well as a team. But i hope that Germany will win it. I think the reason is obvious wink

Discos
nah France are going downhill, its a newer batch generation now, they can't play together I dont think....but when they do then BOY watch out.

watching them both home and away against Scotland, they were a strong team but their chances jist never seemed to count. Plenty of attacking chances but no one could score.

jaden101
i think Germany will win but i think Poland will be up there amongst the end teams

HolyMoly
Or Maybe Greece again? big grinbig grin

Deano
italy will win again. smile

Discos
Italy or Germany, depending on injuries and such.

I was going to over for a couple of matches but decided not to, mostly because I cant be bothered and its alot of money and hastle for something I have no real interest in supporting.

Bicnarok

T.M

Slay
We're definately in the toughest group, and quite honestly I don't think we'll survive it. Even though we got through though groups at the last WC and Euro 2004, with Germany and Czech Republic, we lack a consistent team. Van Basten experiments to much, so our players never get a feel for each other on the pitch. So unless France or Italy choke (most likely to be Italy), we won't stand a chance.

Discos
That is an amazing group, they said in the paper a group of death could onsist of France Italy Germany and Holland....that would be an amazing group.

I want to see goals galore and great football, the last 16 of the world cup last year was boring at times.

koppa
agree, group C is a group of death

HolyMoly
I was very relieved when iherd that Germany is in Group B and not in C.

Discos
I wad gutted, the guy I work with said Crotia and Czech were in the same group as his nation Poland....but he got it wrong.

I already texted my best friend telling him ITS WAR, as he loves Czech and I am a Croat fan...guess we can always meet in the last 8.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.