so how many people happy with the look of the joker?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Mr Parker
so are all pleased with the look of the joker?

what are your thoughts?

1.I love it

2.I hate it.

3.He's okay but could have been better,not near as bad as i thought he would look though.I can live with it.

I voted for number 3.His look isnt near as bad as I was thinking he was going to be from the first shots of Ledger but Im not too happy about the final look of him though.You can see his natural hair color brown in the photos underneath the green color and I dont understand why they have allowed that but he at least looks more like the joker than he looked in previous photos so i can live with it.

I still think that Ceasar Romero is the only actor who has really brought the true look of the joker from the comics to the big screen.You look at the photos of the joker from the comics and Romero when he played him back in the 60's and he is the only who who still screams Joker.I was hoping that would change with Ledger, that he would as well but it looks like Romero STILL is the only one who has come on the big screen where you say-wow thats the joker brought to life from the comics.Nicholson had the wrong build so you never felt that way with him and Ledger's hair style is all wrong and as i said,its part brown as well underneath the green.I just dont understand why Nolan decided on this look for Ledger. mad I'll be able to live with it though the same way I have adjusted to the batmobile and have been able to live with that.

sithsaber408
Love it.

TDK will be the greatest comic book movie made yet.

jdea
eh.. it's aaight

Impediment
I hate it.

JediSamuraiMRB
I love the look of Heath Ledger as The Joker. This movie will rock.

raysch
I was hoping for better.

Il.Mozalini
PERFECTION.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by raysch
I was hoping for better.

that pretty much echos my thoughts.

atharpina
this isnt a very good question...the joker's become such an iconic figure that no matter how he looks people are gonna be disappointed/thrilled=on the fence about it

JediSamuraiMRB
Originally posted by atharpina
this isnt a very good question...the joker's become such an iconic figure that no matter how he looks people are gonna be disappointed/thrilled=on the fence about it

Exactly

steverules
I like the new look, he looks scary...for once

SelinaAndBruce
I'm not scared of him I just want him to take a bath

Outbound
Originally posted by Mr Parker
I just dont understand why Nolan decided on this look for Ledger. mad I'll be able to live with it though the same way I have adjusted to the batmobile and have been able to live with that.

Nolan's not making campy Batman movies...

WrathfulDwarf
I neither hate nor love the look. I just want Ledger to do a damn good performance on the most iconic comic book villain in the history of comics.

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by Outbound
Nolan's not making campy Batman movies...
That doesn't mean the Joker has to look like this. To me he is running away from the camp so much he's winding up in a weird place on the other side of the spectrum. I suspect I will get used to this joker but he just looks filthy. Not sleek, smooth and diabolical. Like he needs a shower, a hot meal and a visit from his local Mary Kay consultant.

JediSamuraiMRB
Originally posted by SelinaAndBruce
That doesn't mean the Joker has to look like this. To me he is running away from the camp so much he's winding up in a weird place on the other side of the spectrum. I suspect I will get used to this joker but he just looks filthy. Not sleek, smooth and diabolical. Like he needs a shower, a hot meal and a visit from his local Mary Kay consultant.

What exactly is your "look" for The Joker?

@st
I love it, obviously from my sig. stick out tongue

Nolan tinkered with all the characters looks in Begins, and will probably tinker with TwoFace once we finally see him. But since we have been told again and again that this is Joker is just one ****ed up psychopath, the look is perfect. What person would like that and do that to themselves, he is seriously crazy.

Even after the movie hits, people will be split, but I think the look and Ledger's performance will be amazing.

And I think Nolan might be going for the opposite of what Batman did in Begins, he created Batman as a symol for the people. Joker creates his look/psychosis to scare those people, the gangs, and Batman himself.

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by JediSamuraiMRB
What exactly is your "look" for The Joker?
For starters he would be sleek and together not just messy looking, he would not put on makeup that would be his skin.

He just looks like some clown who stumbled out of a dumpster now. He looks like he smells bad.

Mr Parker

that pretty much sums it up for me to a tee.At least all the way up to him winding up on the other side of the spectrum.Exactly,that doesnt mean the joker has to look like THIS,come on. mad for me,MY look of the Joker is like I said earlier,to look like Romero made him look like in the 60's show.Just because he was campy in that show and had that look then doesnt mean he cant have that same look he had then and STILL be scary and menacing.

Come on.The ONLY reason that wasnt scary then was not because of his look back then,but because of the way Romero played him in a comical way the way he was meant to.Ledger can still look the same way Romero did and STILL be scary and menacing at the same time you know.As long as Ledger plays him in a sinister way then people would no longer think of Romero's look as being a comical Joker.Romero's Joker could have been the sinister and evil joker from the comics back then if they wanted him to be, thats just not the way the direction of the show went obviously.The Joker from the comics screams scary and sinister which again with the look Romero had back then COULD have been done that way back then if they so chose.Give Ledger the same look of the joker that Romero had and he could make him sinister and evil.That I have no doubt about just frome the teaser trailer of hearing Ledgers voice.

Mr Parker
For starters he would be sleek and together not just messy looking, he would not put on makeup that would be his skin.

He just looks like some clown who stumbled out of a dumpster now. He looks like he smells bad.

yeah i agree.

SelinaAndBruce
that pretty much sums it up for me to a tee.At least all the way up to him winding up on the other side of the spectrum.Exactly,that doesnt mean the joker has to look like THIS,come on. mad for me,MY look of the Joker is like I said earlier,to look like Romero made him look like in the 60's show.Just because he was campy in that show and had that look then doesnt mean he cant have that same look he had then and STILL be scary and menacing.

Come on.The ONLY reason that wasnt scary then was not because of his look back then,but because of the way Romero played him in a comical way the way he was meant to.Ledger can still look the same way Romero did and STILL be scary and menacing at the same time you know.As long as Ledger plays him in a sinister way then people would no longer think of Romero's look as being a comical Joker.Romero's Joker could have been the sinister and evil joker from the comics back then if they wanted him to be, thats just not the way the direction of the show went obviously.The Joker from the comics screams scary and sinister which again with the look Romero had back then COULD have been done that way back then if they so chose.Give Ledger the same look of the joker that Romero had and he could make him sinister and evil.That I have no doubt about just frome the teaser trailer of hearing Ledgers voice.
I can't believe we are agreeing but yes exactly. When I was a kid I found Jack's Joker scary because even though he laughed and joked around he'd kill you in a second and not think twice.

The thing about the Joker is he looks kind of crazy and funny, he's a clown he looks whimsical in a way that's what's scary about him is that he looks silly and harmless or almost charming but he'd slit your throat just as soon as he'd do anything else. The Joker could still look like the old incarnations to an extent and have some darker elements but to me he just looks disgusting. Not like the Clown Prince of Crime, but like the Clown Prince of Mold and Stench.

I get and respect that Nolan is trying to do his own thing but he is going to do it to the point where he is going to alienate his audience beyond the hardcores. I've shown some of these pictures to just general fans of Batman, people who might not even have read a comic but like the character and they're like "What the hell is that?! Ewww!" The only people I see salivating over the new Joker overall is mostly the hardcore Batman fans, aside from me a hardcore who thinks it looks awful, and this movie has to appeal to more than just them.

Nolan is just way out in left field with this design. But he took a risk o the batmobile and it was accepted so perhaps this would work. It could very well work in the movie but right now with just the stills I want the Joker to take a bath.

atharpina
^^you make some good points. but the fact is that the joker needs to be frightening. he's the one enemy that truely scares batman(without toxins) and the way these movies have been set up so far, itll take a bit more to make the audience full comprehend that. add that to the way horror movies have evolved in recent years (hostel, saw) to make nasty looking things scary...and it makes sense that in order to make the joker terrifying...hes gross.

and besides that, we still havent seen much. not even a smile. for all we know he'll still crack lil jokes and have an intense laugh. i feel like this incarnation is perfect for the character. at least how the world is right now.

afterall, the only incarnation of the joker that truely gave me nightmares was the one featured in a serious house on serious earth. and guess which incarnation heath so closely resembles?

Badabing
Is it me or does this "Joker" look familiar?
http://superherouniverse.com/images/joker.jpg

Ah, I remember.
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~garden/films/crow2.jpg

bnone

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by atharpina
^^you make some good points. but the fact is that the joker needs to be frightening. he's the one enemy that truely scares batman(without toxins) and the way these movies have been set up so far, itll take a bit more to make the audience full comprehend that. add that to the way horror movies have evolved in recent years (hostel, saw) to make nasty looking things scary...and it makes sense that in order to make the joker terrifying...hes gross.

and besides that, we still havent seen much. not even a smile. for all we know he'll still crack lil jokes and have an intense laugh. i feel like this incarnation is perfect for the character. at least how the world is right now.

afterall, the only incarnation of the joker that truely gave me nightmares was the one featured in a serious house on serious earth. and guess which incarnation heath so closely resembles?
As I said I will wait and I will see but I think Nolan took the raves he got for the first Batman to his head. He may very well end up where Tim Burton did after Batman 1989 was successful and turn off his audience trying to make things "dark" like Burton did in Returns, which is a divisive movie in itself by making the Joker look so disgusting. At the end of the day it isn't necessary. I say this as a huge fan of Batman Returns who understands why people hate it because what Burton did to the Penguin was not necessary at all. But for his vision I see why he did it just was not true to Batman in a lot of ways and made Batman's world more warped and twisted and disgusting.

I dunno, I don't think the movie will be bad but Batman means so much to so many different people you kind of have to make it accessible to everyone which I think the first movie did in a sense but I don't know accessible this Joker will be if his looks are so disgusting they distract people. I find him distractingly gross looking.

atharpina
EXACTLY. he's the worst of the worst! the joker is completely effed up. the theme they seem to be taking this time(as begins' theme was fear) is a theme of escalation. the synopsis of plot we've been given so far is that the joker comes in and enacts increasingly more brutal and dangerous crimes.

maybe his look is just a further reflection of that. ive seen some pics where his make up actually looks pretty clean, his hair looks relatively tame(albeit green), and his suit is very classy...purple, but smooth. then ive seen other pics where everything about him is absolutely nasty looking. maybe the joker just becomes increasingly nasty looking to a point of being distracting so that as his crimes get more brutal, the entire character becomes absolutly horrifying, you know?

what burton did in batman returns was take his already cartoonishly dark world and make it over the top. nolan's world is dark simply because of psychology.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Badabing
Is it me or does this "Joker" look familiar?
http://superherouniverse.com/images/joker.jpg

Ah, I remember.
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~garden/films/crow2.jpg

bnone

From all the photos I have seen of The Joker from the movie that people have posted,we have yet to see that look from the first photo you posted.If he later on looks that way in the movie at some point and stays that way, well that will ease my fears about the look of the joker.But since nobody has posted any photos from the movie where he DOES look like that,Im beginning to think that was just a publicity stunt for the movie and he never looks that way. mad I hope Im wrong but I have yet to see anybody post any photos from the movie that proves otherwise that he ever has that look in the movie and only has the look from the second photo.

Just look at the pics that AST has in his sig.If he looks like that in the whole movie then I will be pissed.

Mr Parker
I can't believe we are agreeing but yes exactly. When I was a kid I found Jack's Joker scary because even though he laughed and joked around he'd kill you in a second and not think twice.

The thing about the Joker is he looks kind of crazy and funny, he's a clown he looks whimsical in a way that's what's scary about him is that he looks silly and harmless or almost charming but he'd slit your throat just as soon as he'd do anything else. The Joker could still look like the old incarnations to an extent and have some darker elements but to me he just looks disgusting. Not like the Clown Prince of Crime, but like the Clown Prince of Mold and Stench.

I get and respect that Nolan is trying to do his own thing but he is going to do it to the point where he is going to alienate his audience beyond the hardcores. I've shown some of these pictures to just general fans of Batman, people who might not even have read a comic but like the character and they're like "What the hell is that?! Ewww!" The only people I see salivating over the new Joker overall is mostly the hardcore Batman fans, aside from me a hardcore who thinks it looks awful, and this movie has to appeal to more than just them.

Nolan is just way out in left field with this design. But he took a risk o the batmobile and it was accepted so perhaps this would work. It could very well work in the movie but right now with just the stills I want the Joker to take a bath.

Yeah the look of the joker in this movie and George Lucas doing that Luke and Leia thing in Jedi seem to be TWO issues here we agree on. big grin
It seems like everytime a director takes on a sequal to the first batman movie they mess up the villain. mad As much as Burton royally screwed up the batman movies as we have talked about before, big grin at least he DID get the look of The Joker right with his hair neatly combed back like it should be.He messed up on the look of the penguin BIG TIME but he at least got the jokers look right.Cant understand why Nolan cant do the same. mad Yeah I know,in some of these photos he looks all dirty in the face which gives you the impression he is stinky.yeah with this movie he seems to be following down Burtons path of doing his own thing that he is going to alienate the hardcore fans.

Yeah thats what gives me hope is that he took a risk with the batmobile but people adjusted to it and accepted it but I just dont see the same thing happening here with the joker.It just seems to be one of those things that comicbook movie directors do at times for some stupid reason,make a change just for the sake of change with no sound reasoning behind it.They made some changes in Batman Begins that were different from the comics that I was able to accept and not complain about because they were reasonable for the most part and were actually improvements so the changes made sense.This change of changing the look of the joker though,I rank right up there with Burtons moronic look of the Penguin though. sick which I know we disagree on that one though.

actually I just read one of your previous posts and what you said about the penguin and oh my god! it seems you agree with me on THAT point as well? eek! I am in shock. laughing

SelinaAndBruce
Yeah the look of the joker in this movie and George Lucas doing that Luke and Leia thing in Jedi seem to be TWO issues here we agree on. big grin
It seems like everytime a director takes on a sequal to the first batman movie they mess up the villain. mad As much as Burton royally screwed up the batman movies as we have talked about before, big grin at least he DID get the look of The Joker right with his hair neatly combed back like it should be.He messed up on the look of the penguin BIG TIME but he at least got the jokers look right.Cant understand why Nolan cant do the same. mad Yeah I know,in some of these photos he looks all dirty in the face which gives you the impression he is stinky.yeah with this movie he seems to be following down Burtons path of doing his own thing that he is going to alienate the hardcore fans.

Yeah thats what gives me hope is that he took a risk with the batmobile but people adjusted to it and accepted it but I just dont see the same thing happening here with the joker.It just seems to be one of those things that comicbook movie directors do at times for some stupid reason,make a change just for the sake of change with no sound reasoning behind it.They made some changes in Batman Begins that were different from the comics that I was able to accept and not complain about because they were reasonable for the most part and were actually improvements so the changes made sense.This change of changing the look of the joker though,I rank right up there with Burtons moronic look of the Penguin though. sick which I know we disagree on that one though.

actually I just read one of your previous posts and what you said about the penguin and oh my god! it seems you agree with me on THAT point as well? eek! I am in shock. laughing
As you can probably tell by my signature I am a huge Batman Returns fan it's my favorite film with his as a character but I know it's not accurate to the comic books in a lot of places and I defintiely see why fans did not like it and yes the Penguin was grotesque and hard to stomach for no reason. It was mostly Burton's vision with Bat characters plopped into it but I did think the themes he used were in line with themes that are prevalent in the Batverse and I enjoyed the intensity he brought to the Bruce/Selina Bats/Cat relationship in any event.

FistOfThe North
Like i said before I dunno about that look for the Joker. This Joker looks lowly, dirty and broke/poor. The Joker I've always known was sleek, confident has alot of, or at least had access to alot of money and well kept hair and make up that was always on well unless Batman beat the silly puddy outta him.

Maybe this is Joker's younger earlier version when he was a small time crook as oppose to a powerful gangster. I mean, these new Batman movies do take place around Batman's conception.

But it's ok cause I mean, Heath does afterall look like a "Batman Joker" anyway so. I still can't wait TDK and Heath.

Mr Parker
As you can probably tell by my signature I am a huge Batman Returns fan it's my favorite film with his as a character but I know it's not accurate to the comic books in a lot of places and I defintiely see why fans did not like it and yes the Penguin was grotesque and hard to stomach for no reason. It was mostly Burton's vision with Bat characters plopped into it but I did think the themes he used were in line with themes that are prevalent in the Batverse and I enjoyed the intensity he brought to the Bruce/Selina Bats/Cat relationship in any event.

I should have guessed from your sig that was your favorite of the series. big grin

Mr Parker
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Like i said before I dunno about that look for the Joker. This Joker looks lowly, dirty and broke/poor. The Joker I've always known was sleek, confident has alot of, or at least had access to alot of money and well kept hair and make up that was always on well unless Batman beat the silly puddy outta him.

Maybe this is Joker's younger earlier version when he was a small time crook as oppose to a powerful gangster. I mean, these new Batman movies do take place around Batman's conception.

But it's ok cause I mean, Heath does afterall look like a "Batman Joker" anyway so. I still can't wait TDK and Heath.

wow great points Fist.Thanks for coming on and sharing them.I could not have said it better myself. thumb up this joker does look lowly,dirty and broke poor.In some of these photos it looks like he really needs bath big time being all dirty on the face and everything,like he rolled his face around in the dirt just recently or something. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Like you said,the joker we have always known had access to lots of money and well kept hair so I just do not understand this look of the joker at all.Nolan seems to be headed down the same path that Burton took with Batman Returns where the look of the penguin was thr thing more than anything that ruined that movie for me and was a major factor in why I hate that movie the worst right up there with batman and robin. mad

Bat Dude
Heath Joker is ok with me...

It's definitely not the worst look, I just wish his face didn't look so "crusty" on the promo pics... Not a huge deal, and it helps with the realism, but it annoys me, that's all...

I still can't wait to see the film, though...

SelinaAndBruce
I could almost deal with it though if he didn't have the black circles and look so dirty. He looks like a kid that never bathes, who bought some green dye, clothes and make up from hot topic got wasted and put all that shit on. He literally looks a mess.

sithsaber408
I like it.

Jack Nicholson = Suk.

He was playing himself.

His Joker was a goofy, creepy, fat old uncle type that you never hated or were scared of. You liked him, and his genius plan was to fistfight batman in a bell tower.

Nolan's batman rules, that is all.

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by sithsaber408
I like it.

Jack Nicholson = Suk.

He was playing himself.

His Joker was a goofy, creepy, fat old uncle type that you never hated or were scared of. You liked him, and his genius plan was to fistfight batman in a bell tower.

I thought Nicholson's Joker was good for the time. Honestly I think that was one of the most atmospheric scenes in cinema where he smashed that mirror and walked out laughing madly into the darkness. I know Batman 1989 gets a lot of hate here but if anything it mostly had story flaws I think the way Batman and the Joker looked and acted personality wise was pretty good.

Mr Parker
I like it.

Jack Nicholson = Suk.

He was playing himself.

agreed about Nicholsons Joker.I did not like Jack in that role at all.as you said,too goofy,fat and dont forget short uncle type and yeah Jack was just being Jack but hey,at LEAST Nicholsons Joker had the right look dammit. mad So Far Nolans Batman movie has ruled but I have my doubts about this next Batman movie being as good as Begins with the way Ledger is looking. mad It looks to me that I have to concede that Romero is still the one and only true Joker brought to the big screen by a live actor.

SelinaAndBruce
I liked Jack's Joker. *shrugs*

FistOfThe North
wow great points Fist.Thanks for coming on and sharing them.I could not have said it better myself. thumb up this joker does look lowly,dirty and broke poor.In some of these photos it looks like he really needs bath big time being all dirty on the face and everything,like he rolled his face around in the dirt just recently or something. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Like you said,the joker we have always known had access to lots of money and well kept hair so I just do not understand this look of the joker at all.Nolan seems to be headed down the same path that Burton took with Batman Returns where the look of the penguin was thr thing more than anything that ruined that movie for me and was a major factor in why I hate that movie the worst right up there with batman and robin. mad

I actually thought Penguin looked good in "Returns". DeVito did a good job with the role, too. But with Ledger's Joker we'll just have to see. The grungy look is something i can get used to and Ledger certainly sounds like a Joker and had a Joker-like voice when he said "Starting tonight, people will die..." as the Joker. Kinda sounded maniacal. The laugh was cool too.

And Heath's a good actor so he may pull the role off despite how shabby Nolan makes the Joker visually look. I just hope Joker's schemes aren't as decrepit.

Mr Parker
I actually thought Penguin looked good in "Returns". DeVito did a good job with the role, too. But with Ledger's Joker we'll just have to see. The grungy look is something i can get used to and Ledger certainly sounds like a Joker and had a Joker-like voice when he said "Starting tonight, people will die..." as the Joker. Kinda sounded maniacal. The laugh was cool too.

And Heath's a good actor so he may pull the role off despite how shabby Nolan makes the Joker visually look. I just hope Joker's schemes aren't as decrepit.

Sorry but Devito was absolutely horrible in that role.Normally he is great in all his movies but he was just stupid in this movie.His line delivery was just horrible. as far as ledger,yeah I have a good feeling from the teaser trailer that he will have the personality of the joker,he certainly sounds joker like and like you said,has the perfect laugh and yeah maybe he will be so great in his role that we''ll forget about the grungy look.after all I wasnt thrilled with the look of the batmobile but the story and movie was so great that it made me forget about it and it was just an after thought.so hopefully Ledgers Joker will do the same thing.It just makes me so angry when a change is made to a comicbook movie that is unnessary like the look of joker and the look of penguin because even if I love the dark knight,I'll still know that it could have been even better with joker having the right look.

tlbauerle
"I'd like to fill her void"

great freakin' line.

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by tlbauerle
"I'd like to fill her void"

great freakin' line.
I like "you're just jealous because I'm a real freak and you have to wear a mask!"

The Tim Burton Batman films really have the best quotes laughing out loud

JediSamuraiMRB
I like "you're just jealous because I'm a real freak and you have to wear a mask!"

The Tim Burton Batman films really have the best quotes laughing out loud

Batman Begins has great lines also. Also I fully expect TDK to have memorable lines.

FistOfThe North
Sorry but Devito was absolutely horrible in that role.Normally he is great in all his movies but he was just stupid in this movie.His line delivery was just horrible. as far as ledger,yeah I have a good feeling from the teaser trailer that he will have the personality of the joker,he certainly sounds joker like and like you said,has the perfect laugh and yeah maybe he will be so great in his role that we''ll forget about the grungy look.after all I wasnt thrilled with the look of the batmobile but the story and movie was so great that it made me forget about it and it was just an after thought.so hopefully Ledgers Joker will do the same thing.It just makes me so angry when a change is made to a comicbook movie that is unnessary like the look of joker and the look of penguin because even if I love the dark knight,I'll still know that it could have been even better with joker having the right look.

I disagree. DeVito visually looked just like the penguin and even acted like the peguin should act. He did a great job in my opinion. Voice-wise, too. Kinda sounded like romero's penguin friend from back in the 60's. Tim Burton probably did that as a nod. He also had some pretty memorable lines in that movie that he would so masterfully deliver like telling batman in his face "you don't really think you'll win, do you?" and so on. The pengiun contume design looked good, to me. But I remember that you had issues with the old Batman movies and Jack Nick's Joker and so on, i remember having a discussion a long while back with you about it that went on and on....

But this threads about jokers' look so with that i don't think i'm upset at all about the change. Even if it diverted from the comics. I look at it as just another Batman universe in the way comics have multiple batman universes. For example batman begins had that homeless guy kill Mr. Wayne senior. I saw that and was like wth? I prefered the '89 Batman scenario with joker offing Bruce's parents. That way was much more gripping. But you just learn to like it. Like the Batman Begins jokerless scene in the alleyway is now fine by me.

SelinaAndBruce
Well the Joker killing Batman's parents I think would have worked if Batman was a stand alone film because it would have tied up all the lose ends. I think that's why it was done was at the time they didn't know if it would be a success or not so they tried to tell all the story in that one bit of time. It was not wise because it diverted from the comic book origin too much I think but if you look at it strictly as a film I see why it was done.

Overall still no thrilled with the Fauxker.

GGS
Yeah the look is kind of troubling i've seen like two photos of heath as the joker where he looks really smart with slicked back hair and clean suit but with the same makeup but the ones doing the rounds in the magazines now are really messed up and even his makeup is more distressed looking. No doubt about it though Heath can act his socks off and so can Christain Bale so it won't be them that makes this movie bad it will be Nolans direction but i feel sorry for those two if this movie ends up sucking cause it will be their careers that suffer the most.

sithsaber408
For example batman begins had that homeless guy kill Mr. Wayne senior. I saw that and was like wth? I prefered the '89 Batman scenario with joker offing Bruce's parents. That way was much more gripping. But you just learn to like it. Like the Batman Begins jokerless scene in the alleyway is now fine by me.

Uh... you do know that Begins was going off the comics, in which Joe Chill killed Bruce's parents, right? blink

That wasn't "less gripping", that was correct!

"Less gripping" is having them killed by the Joker so that they can make the story more personal when they finally face off in the climax of the Jokers brilliant scheme:.... to fistfight Batman in a bell-tower. stick out tongue

SelinaAndBruce
Uh... you do know that Begins was going off the comics, in which Joe Chill killed Bruce's parents, right? blink

"Less gripping" is having them killed by the Joker so that they can make the story more personal when they finally face off in the climax of the Jokers brilliant scheme:.... to fistfight Batman in a bell-tower. stick out tongue
As I stated before I think it's obvious they did it that way to make Batman a stand alone film since there were no immediate plans for a sequel since people had no clue if the film would fail or not.

tlbauerle

Damn it...

THAT was darn funny.

FistOfThe North

Oh. i didn't know that. About Joe Chill killing Bruce Wayne's parent in the comics. I just went by the '89 movie which still made for a gripping story. The Joker killing Mr. and Mrs. Wayne, in cold blood, in front of young Bruce Wayne. Can't get better than that. The comic should've been that way. Batman's animosity towards the Joker would've been greater that it normally is now in the comics.

And that wasn't Jokers scheme. It was really to escape and/or have Batman get beaten to death by one or a few of Joker's goons.

GGS
Yeah don't be so hard on the 89 movie and Joker killing his parents cause it was presented as a standalone movie it was a risk making comic book movies back in those days so no one knew it was going to do so well.

And Joe Chill in the Year Two stories teams up with Batman and they work together and Batman uses the gun that killed his parents and everything even manage to have a laugh it's ridicolous and such a terrible story i'm glad Nolan kept Chills part miniminal and got rid of him as soon as he could cause if he decided to follow the comics potrayal of Joe Chill we'd be in a whole world of hurt.

Alfheim
I'm not scared of him I just want him to take a bath

Hes not going out on a date with you! Hes supposed to be creepy...gezzzz.

so are all pleased with the look of the joker?

what are your thoughts?

1.I love it

2.I hate it.

3.He's okay but could have been better,not near as bad as i thought he would look though.I can live with it.

I voted for number 3.His look isnt near as bad as I was thinking he was going to be from the first shots of Ledger but Im not too happy about the final look of him though.You can see his natural hair color brown in the photos underneath the green color and I dont understand why they have allowed that but he at least looks more like the joker than he looked in previous photos so i can live with it.

I still think that Ceasar Romero is the only actor who has really brought the true look of the joker from the comics to the big screen.You look at the photos of the joker from the comics and Romero when he played him back in the 60's and he is the only who who still screams Joker.I was hoping that would change with Ledger, that he would as well but it looks like Romero STILL is the only one who has come on the big screen where you say-wow thats the joker brought to life from the comics.Nicholson had the wrong build so you never felt that way with him and Ledger's hair style is all wrong and as i said,its part brown as well underneath the green.I just dont understand why Nolan decided on this look for Ledger. mad I'll be able to live with it though the same way I have adjusted to the batmobile and have been able to live with that.

Im actually gonna go for 3. I actually would prefer him to be a bit more cleaner and smart, but I dont give a **** really because its up to the director to create his own version of the Joker based on the comics, im pretty open-minded.

@st
Originally posted by Alfheim
Im actually gonna go for 3. I actually would prefer him to be a bit more cleaner and smart, but I dont give a **** really because its up to the director to create his own version of the Joker based on the comics, im pretty open-minded.

I wasnt sure about how smart Joker would be, but seeing the trailer and the prologue, I believe this character is incredibly smart.

Alfheim
Originally posted by @st
I wasnt sure about how smart Joker would be, but seeing the trailer and the prologue, I believe this character is incredibly smart.

Sorry I mean smart as in smartly dressed, this version looks a bit scruffy.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by GGS
Yeah don't be so hard on the 89 movie and Joker killing his parents cause it was presented as a standalone movie it was a risk making comic book movies back in those days so no one knew it was going to do so well.

And Joe Chill in the Year Two stories teams up with Batman and they work together and Batman uses the gun that killed his parents and everything even manage to have a laugh it's ridicolous and such a terrible story i'm glad Nolan kept Chills part miniminal and got rid of him as soon as he could cause if he decided to follow the comics potrayal of Joe Chill we'd be in a whole world of hurt.

thumb down call the movie something else BESIDES batman then if your going to do something moronic like have joker kill his parents. mad and actually thats not true,the name BATMAN laone guaranteed it would be a huge box office success. roll eyes (sarcastic)

SelinaAndBruce
thumb down call the movie something else BESIDES batman then if your going to do something moronic like have joker kill his parents. mad and actually thats not true,the name BATMAN laone guaranteed it would be a huge box office success. roll eyes (sarcastic)
The name Batman didn't guarantee it was going to be a box office success a lot of people had huge reservations about the movie until the trailer hit theaters.

And the movie was still Batman even if they did that to tie up the lose ends.

Mr Parker
sure it did,people had been waiting ages for a batman movie to finally be made,you could have cast John candy in the role and it would have been the blockbuster it was.

SelinaAndBruce
sure it did,people had been waiting ages for a batman movie to finally be made,you could have cast John candy in the role and it would have been the blockbuster it was.
Uh I doubt it. If it looked lame people weren't gonna see it laughing And if it sucked word of mouth would have prevented more people going to see it.

Mairuzu
think its great.

BAILY
I am loving Heath as the Joker .. this'll be the most twisted character we've seen in a long time in a movie .. TDK will own the box office next summer alongside Indy 4 ...

roughrider
I'd rather say I liked it a lot, rather than love, but it fits with the more real-less fanciful world of Chris Nolan's Batman. He's looks very sick & disturbing.

SelinaAndBruce
Hes not going out on a date with you! Hes supposed to be creepy...gezzzz.

I know he isn't going out on a date with me he needs to make a date with a comb and a brush. The Joker is sleek, and well put together his meticulousness is APART of his madness. To me making him sloppy and disgusting loses part of the essence of the character. The Joker is obsessed with detail even in his insanity that's why a lot of his schemes are so elaborate.

sindahouse
He looks kinda scruffy. I don't like th look. However he seems to be doing everything else really well.

nimbus006
I know he doesn't have the typical Joker look, but after seeing the trailer Im loving the way Ledger is carrying himself as the Joker. Its more of a gritty and realistic look to a maniac. He seems so demented and twisted, i kinda like it. I can live with the look as long as the acting is top notch.

Faith27
he's ok but they need to improve....

JediSamuraiMRB
Originally posted by Faith27
he's ok but they need to improve....

What needs to improve?

Gregory
In the first movie, the Scarecrow didn't have the typical Scarecrow look. I didn't care, and I was justified when he turned out great. Now, in the second movie, the Joker doesn't have the typical Joker look, and I still don't care; and I fully expect to be justified once again.

Seriously, the comics aren't holy scripture; things change in adaption, and that's as it should be.

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by Gregory

Seriously, the comics aren't holy scripture; things change in adaption, and that's as it should be.
It's so funny hearing this in a way when people hailed Batman Begins for following the comics and knocked Batman 1989 for not following the holy scripture. (not saying this specific poster said this, just a statement of some general sentiments here)

I guess Nolan has earned his leeway with some but for me I think he is taking a step in the wrong direction with all these extra liberties. That thing looks nothing like the Joker. It'll be interesting to see how the general public accepts him.

Il.Mozalini

I guess Nolan has earned his leeway with some but for me I think he is taking a step in the wrong direction with all these extra liberties. That thing looks nothing like the Joker. It'll be interesting to see how the general public accepts him.

So, I mean, would you rather they made Joker the EXACT same way that's already been done before or the film not being made in the first place?

Considering the vast majority of this board LOVES this Joker, the general publics opinion will probably be the same.

Bat Dude
It's so funny hearing this in a way when people hailed Batman Begins for following the comics and knocked Batman 1989 for not following the holy scripture. (not saying this specific poster said this, just a statement of some general sentiments here)

I find that really funny...

It's like this...

"BR was horrible! Penguin was nothing like in the comics!"

"BB was great! They took "creative liberty" with Scarecrow!"

And...

"B89 was horrible! Batman killed all those goons in Axis Chemicals!"

"BB was great! Bruce just did what he had to at the monastery!"

And finally...

"B89 was horrible! Batman killed Joker!"

"BB was great! Batman didn't have to save Ras!"

You get the picture...

But anyway, back on topic... So, yeah... After seeing Joker in motion, I can confidently say I'm REALLY looking forward to 2008...

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by Il.Mozalini
So, I mean, would you rather they made Joker the EXACT same way that's already been done before or the film not being made in the first place?

Considering the vast majority of this board LOVES this Joker, the general publics opinion will probably be the same.
Gee would you have rather he made Batman look anything remotely like he does in the comics, or turned him into a guy who actually wears bat skins because that's realistic?

C'mon there is something to how a character looks. The Joker doesn't have to look exactly like he does in the comics but changes to his appearance shouldn't contradict the nature of his personality and the Joker's personality is a maniac, but an elaborate maniac in a lot of ways. He's obsessed with details and sleek and a smooth talker. The Joker isn't just some wacked out nut job who kills people there is a method to his madness too.

People should really stop trying to act as if you think this interpretation is warped that you wouldn't accept any deviation at all. That isn't the case but any deviation should not take away from the character as a whole and frankly I think this messiness does just like turning the Penguin into a sewer dwelling fish eater took away from his personality as a man who enjoyed the finer things in life.

And this board is no gauge of public opinion. It's a bunch of Batman fanatics for the most part. Many of the people on this board hate Batman 1989 but I don't think the general public as a whole hated that movie. And I'm not saying the general public will hate this Joker I said it is going ot be interesting to see.

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by Bat Dude

But anyway, back on topic... So, yeah... After seeing Joker in motion, I can confidently say I'm REALLY looking forward to 2008...
I'm looking forward to the movie too even though I think the Joker looks ridiculous. The movie looks like it is going to be entertaining none the less. But the Joker...well there's not anything remotely Joker like about that mess.

Il.Mozalini
Gee would you have rather he made Batman look anything remotely like he does in the comics, or turned him into a guy who actually wears bat skins because that's realistic?

C'mon there is something to how a character looks. The Joker doesn't have to look exactly like he does in the comics but changes to his appearance shouldn't contradict the nature of his personality and the Joker's personality is a maniac, but an elaborate maniac in a lot of ways. He's obsessed with details and sleek and a smooth talker. The Joker isn't just some wacked out nut job who kills people there is a method to his madness too.

People should really stop trying to act as if you think this interpretation is warped that you wouldn't accept any deviation at all. That isn't the case but any deviation should not take away from the character as a whole and frankly I think this messiness does just like turning the Penguin into a sewer dwelling fish eater took away from his personality as a man who enjoyed the finer things in life.

And this board is no gauge of public opinion. It's a bunch of Batman fanatics for the most part. Many of the people on this board hate Batman 1989 but I don't think the general public as a whole hated that movie. And I'm not saying the general public will hate this Joker I said it is going ot be interesting to see.

Well the general public won't care, especially on how loyal to the comic any characters are. The only people that will care are batman fanatics, and as I've previously stated, most love it.

SelinaAndBruce
Well the general public won't care, especially on how loyal to the comic any characters are. The only people that will care are batman fanatics, and as I've previously stated, most love it.
See I disagree I could see the general public having a harder time letting go of their own pre conceived notions about what a character should look like, especially a rather infamous one, harder than many of the Bat fan boys and girls. Like I said I think Nolan has earned leeway with us anyway. That's my own personal theory on it.

tlbauerle
Oh FFS...

There are people who just can't get past what they experienced in the comic books. Then there are people who can't get past the last Batman series of films.

Then there are those people who are a little more relaxed who say..."Gee, BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT seem to feel like they are really true to the spirit of the characters and stories I've loved all my life."

SelinaAndBruce
I'm still going to see the movies. I saw Batman Forever and Batman and Robin....Lord God I saw them...

But I mean I still think people's comments on the looks of the Joker negative and positive are valid. I mean this is the same fanbase that knocked Schumacher for putting nipples on the Batsuit I don't think it's wrong to complain that the Joker looks like a toy clown that someone microwaved.

Alfheim
I know he isn't going out on a date with me he needs to make a date with a comb and a brush. The Joker is sleek, and well put together his meticulousness is APART of his madness.

I actually dont think you can prove that...in the no mans land series he may not have been scruffy but he wasnt that bothered about living in scuffy surroundings.

To me making him sloppy and disgusting loses part of the essence of the character. The Joker is obsessed with detail even in his insanity that's why a lot of his schemes are so elaborate.

Again dont think you can prove that. Anyway basically your saying that The Joker basically has to look like the comic book version any alterations is leaving the essence. Hell Gordon has brown hair lets complain about that.

That thing looks nothing like the Joker.

What is Heath Ledger playing the Joker??? Damn I thought he was playing 2face.... confused

SelinaAndBruce

Again dont think you can prove that. Anyway basically your saying that The Joker basically has to look like the comic book version any alterations is leaving the essence. Hell Gordon has brown hair lets complain about that.

Is this not the same argument people made complaining about how the Penguin looked in Returns? "That's not the penguin!" etc etc etc.

And Gordon having brown hair changes nothing about who he is or doesn't suggest anything different.

The Joker's look is APART of who he is. If it wasn't Nolan wouldn't have spent so much time trying to reimagine it so he could make a new mark on the Joker.

And furthermore as I said if looks aren't important why was everyone whining about Batman's nipples and codpieces in the Batman movies by Schumacher?

SelinaAndBruce
I actually dont think you can prove that...in the no mans land series he may not have been scruffy but he wasnt that bothered about living in scuffy surroundings.

The Joker's surroundings versus how he keeps his appearance are two entirely different things.

Outbound
"Costume designer Linda Hemming described the Joker's look as being based around his personality, in which "he doesn't care about himself at all." She avoided his design being vagrant, but nonetheless it is "scruffier, grungier and therefore when you see him move, he's slightly twitchier or edgy." The clown make-up is minimal; his mask is made up of three pieces of stamped silicone, described by Heath Ledger as a "new technology" which is much quicker to apply than regular prosthetics. Ledger felt that he was not wearing any make-up at all. It only took an hour to apply to Ledger on each day of shooting. In the film, the Joker is merely exaggerating his facial scarring; he never removes his make-up. During the course of the film it worsens, resembling an infection."

Alfheim
Is this not the same argument people made complaining about how the Penguin looked in Returns? "That's not the penguin!" etc etc etc.

And Gordon having brown hair changes nothing about who he is or doesn't suggest anything different.

The Joker's look is APART of who he is. If it wasn't Nolan wouldn't have spent so much time trying to reimagine it so he could make a new mark on the Joker.

Exactly Gordon not having white hair is the same as The Joker looking scruffy it doesnt take anything away from the character, in fact it reinforces his character and you missed the point.

And furthermore as I said if looks aren't important why was everyone whining about Batman's nipples and codpieces in the Batman movies by Schumacher?

Because it made Batman look camp. It makes Batman look like an overtly sexual character. Is Batman camp? Is Batman an overtly sexullay character.....no. Is The Joker a pyscho...yes....and his appearance reflects his character. Schumachers portryal did not reflect Batmans characters. Hell it could be argued that Burtons Penguin doesnt reflect Penguins characters because Penguin isnt a psyhco in the comics he is just a selfish business man.

The Joker's surroundings versus how he keeps his appearance are two entirely different things.

Oh ok then ive seen him get ruffed in the comicbooks and not making any fuss about his appearance, so you're wrong. You might as well say 2face os meticulous about his appearance..........no thats just the way he looks.

Basically your only point is that you dont like his appearance and thats that.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by BAILY
I am loving Heath as the Joker .. this'll be the most twisted character we've seen in a long time in a movie .. TDK will own the box office next summer alongside Indy 4 ...

Man HOW can you love the look of Ledger as the joker? sick

SpaceMonkey
Why are some people looking for the visage of a nutcase psycho to be anything than that of a nutcase psycho? Why does today's generation want EVERYONE to look metrosexual..... EVEN deranged madmen? Look, I had my doubts about Ledger as Joker, but from what I've seen AND HEARD(I love the voice and the laugh) he is gonna nail it.

Would everyone prefer Zak Effron as the Joker?

Mr Parker
yeah but what about the topic of the thread? how do you like his LOOK?

@st
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
Why are some people looking for the visage of a nutcase psycho to be anything than that of a nutcase psycho? Why does today's generation want EVERYONE to look metrosexual..... EVEN deranged madmen? Look, I had my doubts about Ledger as Joker, but from what I've seen AND HEARD(I love the voice and the laugh) he is gonna nail it.

Would everyone prefer Zak Effron as the Joker?

He could sing his evil plan monologue to Batman. eek! no expression

People, especially comic people are incredibly anal when it comes to the slightest changes to anything.

starlock
I dont like the look of the joker

I dont think it will ruin the movie though!,

i always go in with an open mind, but from all i have seen and heard so far, i dont like anything about this joker

SpaceMonkey
yeah but what about the topic of the thread? how do you like his LOOK?

Like I said, from what i've seen I think Ledger will do a good job. I like the look. I prefer him looking like a crazy vagrant to some slick looking villian. I think his mentality is he has nothing to lose. If he was pretty then that means he cares about his appearance and that would completely ruin the character for me.

FistOfThe North
I'm kinda liking this now Joker (look) especially after watching the new trailer a couple times.

Having Heath play him helped make me think so also. Know why? Cause I saw something special in Heath playing the Joker while watching the trailer. Nowadays not alot of actors really get into a character as passionately and almost obsessively. With Heath, he seemingly does that and so genuinely well too. It t like he's in the zone playing as the Joker. And that's what gonna make him great as the Joker whom is a highly passionate and extremely emotional villain. And you'd need an actor with real talent to be that way and do it right. And Heath does that. The grungy look makes it all just better cause it adds that real world appeal.

I'm glad Heath was pick. He's a good actor after all He's gonna pull the role perfectly from doing the anit-social like maniacal mannerism associated with the Joker to acting twitchy to the voice to the wit. He just has the of the essence of the Joker down pat to perfection, from what i've seen in the trailer. Like I loved the bazooka shot. Just before pulling the trigger, he seemed upset as if he was trying to aim without looking into the aim, then he looked into the aim with one eye closed with the side of his mouth wide open, then after he shoots he gets startled backs his head away from the weapon with a disgruntled look, with his henchmen behind him. Beautiful and so joker like.

Loved when he was spraying that mach. gun at an approaching Batman/motorcycle while yelling/growling "C'mon Hit Me! That was pure art.

So thumbs up for the look, the actor, and his casting director.

SpaceMonkey
FistOfTheNorth, I couldn't agree with you more. It was those little things in his performance in the trailer that made me like the choice and look for the Joker. The standout for me is the voice and laugh. Remember the teaser trailer where you just hear him say, "I'm a man of my word, ahahahahahahahaha!!!". I loved that!

SelinaAndBruce
Like I said, from what i've seen I think Ledger will do a good job. I like the look. I prefer him looking like a crazy vagrant to some slick looking villian. I think his mentality is he has nothing to lose. If he was pretty then that means he cares about his appearance and that would completely ruin the character for me.
But historically the Joker has been a madman who was meticulous, including in his appearance. He coordinates.

SelinaAndBruce

Because it made Batman look camp. It makes Batman look like an overtly sexual character. Is Batman camp? Is Batman an overtly sexullay character.....no. Is The Joker a pyscho...yes....and his appearance reflects his character. Schumachers portryal did not reflect Batmans characters. Hell it could be argued that Burtons Penguin doesnt reflect Penguins characters because Penguin isnt a psyhco in the comics he is just a selfish business man.

And the Joker doesn't look dirty in the comics and he owns a haircomb.

tlbauerle
I'm getting the sense that your sole purpose in life is to ridicule THE DARK KNIGHT and those who like what they see.

SelinaAndBruce
I'm getting the sense that your sole purpose in life is to ridicule THE DARK KNIGHT and those who like what they see.
Um...this is a discussion board I didn't know everyone had to only give nice comments on the Joker in a thread that asked what our opinion was of the character. I'm not ridiculing anyone. I'm stating my opinion just like everyone else.

Just because it's not "OMG this is the most bad ass Joker ever!!!" I'm ridiculing the Dark Knight and those who like what they see? Wow...I still want to see the Dark Knight I just don't like what I am seeing from it so far.

I mean seriously where was all this peace on earth good will towards liberty taking directors when Tim Burton was getting his ass handed to him in the other threads laughing laughing laughing

This is a discussion board. We're discussing. Not everyone will have the same opinion people need to not take stuff personally or act like it's an attack on the film. I never said the Dark Knight would suck. I said I don't like how the Joker looks...in a thread where I asked how I felt about how the Joker looks. I'm really not seeing what the fuss is.

Alfheim

Loved when he was spraying that mach. gun at an approaching Batman/motorcycle while yelling/growling "C'mon Hit Me! That was pure art.

You noticed as well? thumb up

But historically the Joker has been a madman who was meticulous, including in his appearance. He coordinates.

Prove that he is meticulous about his appearance otherwise your opinion is just personal bias with no basis from the comics.

FistOfThe North
FistOfTheNorth, I couldn't agree with you more. It was those little things in his performance in the trailer that made me like the choice and look for the Joker. The standout for me is the voice and laugh. Remember the teaser trailer where you just hear him say, "I'm a man of my word, ahahahahahahahaha!!!". I loved that!

I'll have to say that his laugh sounds better that Jack Nick's '89 Joker laugh.

Not that Jack's laugh was bad but Heath's version just sounds fully and more Joker like.

It's like gutoral "Wooohohahahahahaa!" Heath just loudly shouts out. Jack just had a human laugh with a hint of Joker.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by starlock
I dont like the look of the joker

I dont think it will ruin the movie though!,

i always go in with an open mind, but from all i have seen and heard so far, i dont like anything about this joker

yeah I agree.I'll never like the look of the joker in this film but that wont ruin the film for me as long as the STORY is great.I didnt think i would be able to enjoy batman begins because of the look of the batmobile which I wont ever begin to like,"still prefer the one from the 89 movie,about the only one good thing burton did right in that movie besides casting kim basinger, big grin" but the story and screenplay for batman begins was so awesome that I was able to forget about the look of the batmobile and eventually was able to accept it.I have faith in Nolan.He's the one Batman director that understands what he is doing and I have faith that the story will be so great that eventually just like the look of the batmobile,I'll be able to get past jokers look as well and accept it.the most important thing to a good movie is a good story and Nolan delivered the first time,I cant see him not delivering again.

SelinaAndBruce
yeah I agree.I'll never like the look of the joker in this film but that wont ruin the film for me as long as the STORY is great.
Same for me.

tlbauerle
Um...this is a discussion board I didn't know everyone had to only give nice comments on the Joker in a thread that asked what our opinion was of the character. I'm not ridiculing anyone. I'm stating my opinion just like everyone else.

Just because it's not "OMG this is the most bad ass Joker ever!!!" I'm ridiculing the Dark Knight and those who like what they see? Wow...I still want to see the Dark Knight I just don't like what I am seeing from it so far.

I mean seriously where was all this peace on earth good will towards liberty taking directors when Tim Burton was getting his ass handed to him in the other threads laughing laughing laughing

This is a discussion board. We're discussing. Not everyone will have the same opinion people need to not take stuff personally or act like it's an attack on the film. I never said the Dark Knight would suck. I said I don't like how the Joker looks...in a thread where I asked how I felt about how the Joker looks. I'm really not seeing what the fuss is.

And you say it over and over and over again.

SelinaAndBruce
And you say it over and over and over again.
I'm only continuing a conversation it takes more than one person to do that so you and others keep engaging me and asking me to explain I suppose.

JediSamuraiMRB
I like the what the look of the Joker. I liked Jack's Joker, but in many of Nicholson's films he seems to act the same way. Heath Ledger Joker in my opinion is going to be the best Joker their has ever been. Dark Night in my opinion is going to one of the best if not the best Batman films.

sindahouse
And the Joker doesn't look dirty in the comics and he owns a haircomb.

I hear that mate.. I dont like the way he looks at all. He acts very well, but thew look sux..

Hey he look familiar..

Well waddya know.....

So much for originality...

Kainreaver
Yeah, and the "Old" look of the Joker looks kinda familiar...

Well waddya know...

Kainreaver
The Joker was inspired by "The man who laughs" (Pictured above) It doesnt mean that they "Ripped it off" or that it's not origional. Johnny Depp Impersonated Keith Richards for Jack Sparrow. That doesnt mean that the character wasnt an origional concept, or that it wasnt amazing in general. just because inspiration comes from something doesn't mean that it doesnt fit, or that it's not origional for its self. Example: Heath Ledgers Joker is going to be a new, darker, and origional for a Batman movie. EVERYTHING new came from inspiration from something else. But you cant call it unorigional. Otherwise, there is simply nothing origional left. By Saying they ripped off the Crow, you must then assess that, NOTHING can EVER have a white face and dark eyes without "Ripping off the crow" And I can Garuntee you that there were characters who looked like the crow before Brandon lee put on the makeup, or even before that comic book was written. He's not the crow...He's the Joker. We should all deal with it.

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by Kainreaver
Yeah, and the "Old" look of the Joker looks kinda familiar...

Well waddya know...

I wish Nolan had re ripped this off. O well laughing

Kainreaver
But I agree that the acting and performance ALWAYS makes or breaks a character. When I found out that the scarecrow was ONLY going to have his mask, I thought for sure that the movie would blow...But the movie was amazing and it worked for the character. And Cillian Murphy was a GREAT Jonathan Crane. From what I've seen in the trailer, Ledger is going to be amazing.

Shadow Spider
He's no Jack Nicolson...And I did notice the old Joker from the cartoon did have the black mascara. Lazy directors...

Il.Mozalini
Originally posted by Shadow Spider
He's no Jack Nicolson.

Thankfully.

sindahouse
The Joker was inspired by "The man who laughs" (Pictured above) It doesnt mean that they "Ripped it off" or that it's not origional. Johnny Depp Impersonated Keith Richards for Jack Sparrow. That doesnt mean that the character wasnt an origional concept, or that it wasnt amazing in general. just because inspiration comes from something doesn't mean that it doesnt fit, or that it's not origional for its self. Example: Heath Ledgers Joker is going to be a new, darker, and origional for a Batman movie. EVERYTHING new came from inspiration from something else. But you cant call it unorigional. Otherwise, there is simply nothing origional left. By Saying they ripped off the Crow, you must then assess that, NOTHING can EVER have a white face and dark eyes without "Ripping off the crow" And I can Garuntee you that there were characters who looked like the crow before Brandon lee put on the makeup, or even before that comic book was written. He's not the crow...He's the Joker. We should all deal with it.

I think someone's mad..lol... Dude take a pill

Bardock42
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I neither hate nor love the look. I just want Ledger to do a damn good performance on the most iconic comic book villain in the history of comics. I agree with this mostly

JediSamuraiMRB
Originally posted by Shadow Spider
He's no Jack Nicolson...And I did notice the old Joker from the cartoon did have the black mascara. Lazy directors...

He doesn't have to be. Not in the least. Ledger is offering a totally different take on an iconic character

sindahouse
Originally posted by Bardock42
I agree with this mostly

Yep I agree with that too

Mairuzu
he looks great, and from the 6 min preview i saw and the trailer... he'll do great

MrCampion
I think he looks good. Radically different from the Romero/Nicholson Jokers but that is to be expected.

SelinaAndBruce
I'm sure he's gonna do great. I just won't be sporting any merchandise with that likeness on it

Mr Parker
I wish Nolan had re ripped this off. O well laughing

yeah that would have been nice.

JackieCD
Love it.

Very dark like the movie should be.

MrCampion
This is the rematch (meaning the first time in years we have had Batman and The Joker take each other on in this big an event) of the ages as far as I am concerned.

@st
I'm sure he's gonna do great. I just won't be sporting any merchandise with that likeness on it

I saw a shirt with the very first pic of Joker on it, but they were out of my size. mad

Mr Parker
Originally posted by MrCampion
This is the rematch (meaning the first time in years we have had Batman and The Joker take each other on in this big an event) of the ages as far as I am concerned.

as far as MOVIES go,i am pretending that this is the FIRST time the Joker and batman have met live action wise.I like to pretend that monstocity batman 89 movie never happened of batman murdering the joker in a cowardly way and not even going to jail for it like he would have in a realistic world.Nolan made you believe that batman COULD happen in a real world,Burton didint.

JediSamuraiMRB
Originally posted by MrCampion
I think he looks good. Radically different from the Romero/Nicholson Jokers but that is to be expected.

Exactly

MrCampion
Here's to the new Joker and may his interpretation become as memorable as past Jokers have in their day. This movie has the ingredient to work, let us hope it does. June can't get here fast enough.

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by @st
I saw a shirt with the very first pic of Joker on it, but they were out of my size. mad
I saw one too it was green and they didn't have my size either. Mind you I'm a girl and wear a size 3 in dresses so it's rare they have my size in comic book stuff anyway my Batman shirt has just been washed enough times to fit snugly.

I was upset though I was unable to get that shirt.

MrCampion
I finally got the new WIZARD issue.

Does anyone know why the Joker's face gets dirtied as depicted on the WIZARD cover?
Are they doing away with the Joker's face being permanentely grotesque in favor of him using white makeup that flakes off?

And is it 100% confirmed there will be no origin whatsoever. The article seems to be of two minds.

@st
Supposedly Joker's makeup just wears down throughout the film and he doesnt reapply it. And from pics we seen, Batman roughs him up in the jail, which could lead to his make up messing up. lol

MrCampion
Thanks for the response!

qui-gon-fanboy
It's okay, not great, not terrible tho. I just don't understand why movie crews have to change the way the villains look to make them menacing or cooler or watever. Joker works, don't he, so why the hell change it? messed

@st
Nolan is going for as realistic a take as he can, or as real as possible from a comic book. lol

People may see that as an excuse, but I love what he has done with the characters. All the villains in Begins seemed plausible, and this Joker seems like it could happen. In the books he is driven insane by his accident, he can still be just as insane without it.

And considering we get the origin of Twoface in this movie, that would give us two chemical scarred villains in the same movie, which is pretty stupid.

BAILY
As far as Im concerned Joker is just a plain psychopath .. and I don't want no backstory explaining why he is the way he is .. takes the awesomeness out of it

Mr Parker
damn I hating his look more and more by the minute after looking at him in that sig of yours. mad mad sick

Il.Mozalini
The look of Ledger contributes to the madness of the character. He carved a smile into his damn face for ****s sake! If you want a stale Joker who has but 1 dimension to his character, crawl into a cave and pleasure yourself to the '89 version of The Joker. Everyone else should be delighted by Heaths look and portrayal.

I love Michael Caine's thoughts on Heath's Joker:

"Heath Ledger stunned me, Jack played The Joker as sort of a benign nasty clown; like a wicked uncle. Heath plays him like an absolutely maniacal murderous psychopath.. You have never seen anything like it in your life. He is very, very scary.

xNIXSONx
damn I hating his look more and more by the minute after looking at him in that sig of yours. mad mad sick

maybe we should put a smile on your face stick out tongue

i think ledger's gonna do a great job, and im ok with the look, i thought the scarecrow looks ridiculous wth a sack over his head and a suit but it just grows on you.

atleast its not as bad as topher grace as venom, i cant stand hearing eric foreman's voice come out of venom...ughh lol

SelinaAndBruce
The look of Ledger contributes to the madness of the character. He carved a smile into his damn face for ****s sake! If you want a stale Joker who has but 1 dimension to his character, crawl into a cave and pleasure yourself to the '89 version of The Joker. Everyone else should be delighted by Heaths look and portrayal.

THe Joker was completely mad before Nolan came along with the "bright" idea to have him carve a smile in his face. So I'm not seeing your point. And everyone should be delighted by Heaths look because you like it? That makes no sense.

Il.Mozalini
THe Joker was completely mad before Nolan came along with the "bright" idea to have him carve a smile in his face. So I'm not seeing your point. And everyone should be delighted by Heaths look because you like it? That makes no sense.

So, did you read the words I wrote or skimmed through them? Try it again.

tlbauerle
Nolan didn't come up with the scar idea. There has been art for that vision for quite a long time. It is simply the most realistic.

Altar[1stONE]

I think the word you were looking for was..........original.

talk about sycophantic....its just a movie for god sake.

Alfheim

So, did you read the words I wrote or skimmed through them? Try it again.

The look of Ledger contributes to the madness of the character. He carved a smile into his damn face for ****s sake!

Bat Dude

Whoa... That's going a little too far...

Jack was a great Joker, imo... He just needed to lose some weight and ditch the "perma-smile" for all but a few key scenes ("Wait till they get a load of me..." and "I'm melting!!!" come to mind)

However, I DO think they could have done better (Willem Dafoe was available at that time, to my knowledge)

Anyway... Some like it, some don't... I can see why some don't like it, but I personally think he looks kinda kool... (And besides, The Crow is one of my favorite comics/movies, lol)

Mr Parker
Whoa... That's going a little too far...

thats the way he always acts if people disagree with him.He throws these tantrems and fits.

EkinEku
he looks like a bum with clown make up on and the batman looks like the one from batman and robin, this is gonna start getting lame for no reason, should have used spidermans formula, keep it simple

Mr Parker
please dont do anything that is similiar to those god awful spider-man movies. mad

EkinEku
spider man wasn't bad, at least the first one, lol they ****ed up Dr. oct in part 2 and i never saw 3 but 1 was good because it wasn't to far from the comics. batman and begins were also good because they have that dark gloomy look. I'm just worried that in becoming "original" he starts to create another lame franchise that's all over the place with those silly laffy taffy latex condom costumes and screw ball origin stories.

Il.Mozalini

thats the way he always acts if people disagree with him.He throws these tantrems and fits.

Yes, and when someone disagrees with you, you private message people asking them to agree with you and back you up in threads. I guess we have each other pretty well figured out.

coolmovies
Sorry but i dont like him i prefar jack nicolson as the joker

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by coolmovies
Sorry but i dont like him i prefar jack nicolson as the joker
His look or his performance? Haven't seen much beyond the trailer I'll wait to comment on the performance but I don't like how he looks right now

coolmovies
His look

Mairuzu
He looks like he can do a greater job than nicolson

Bat Dude
I just got a Joker t-shirt (Neal Adams design), and I realized that a more "comic accurate" look could have easily been achieved while still being "realistic"... I still like the look, though...

JediSamuraiMRB
I just got a Joker t-shirt (Neal Adams design), and I realized that a more "comic accurate" look could have easily been achieved while still being "realistic"... I still like the look, though...

Put up a picture of what the t-shirt looks like.

Bat Dude
Originally posted by JediSamuraiMRB
Put up a picture of what the t-shirt looks like.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41%2Bvuk3StCL._SS260_.jpg

That's what it looks like...

I wouldn't mind having this one, either...

http://www.graphittidesigns.com/shop/files/images_backup/May2007/justice_joker.jpg

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by Mairuzu
He looks like he can do a greater job than nicolson
How so? I don't think Ledger could have played the type of Joker Jack played and vice versa. Regardless I've seen nothing in trailers wrong with the portrayal so far I just think he looks shitty.

Il.Mozalini
How so? I don't think Ledger could have played the type of Joker Jack played and vice versa. Regardless I've seen nothing in trailers wrong with the portrayal so far I just think he looks shitty.

I don't think Jack had the commitment that Heath has for playing the character...It seems to me Jack just wanted the money, whereas Heath secluded himself in a hotel for a month to prepare for the role. I could be wrong about Jack, but Heath is VERY VERY dedicated.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>