British woman arrested in Sudan for naming teddy bear Mohammed

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sanctuary
Under Sudan's Sharia law, the punishment for blasphemy is 40 lashes, although the teacher could also be fined or jailed for up to six months.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/26/wsudan126.xml

What are your thoughts on it?

SelphieT
I wonder why she named it that?

I don't know what to say about the punishment, if her action was deliberate...well I don't know, it's all quite foolish really.

botankus
Considering it's in Sudan, it makes perfect sense.

Sanctuary
Originally posted by SelphieT
I wonder why she named it that?

I don't know what to say about the punishment, if her action was deliberate...well I don't know, it's all quite foolish really.
She let the children choose the name.

Bloigen
How does a bear look anything like Muhammad?

This teacher was damned from the start. If she had refused to let the kids call it Muhammad she'd be in the same position.

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Bloigen
How does a bear look anything like Muhammad?

This teacher was damned from the start. If she had refused to let the kids call it Muhammad she'd be in the same position.

No she wouldn't.

Bloigen
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
No she wouldn't.

She would be. She'd be opposing their beliefs.

Bicnarok

chillmeistergen
Originally posted by Bloigen
She would be. She'd be opposing their beliefs.

No she wouldn't be. She'd just have to say ''well children, that would be insulting the founder of Islam'', then they could call it Freddy and move on.

If a Muslim child went home and complained about not being able to call a teddy Muhammad, their parents are not likely to kick off and try to get the teacher in shit. More likely, the kid would be in trouble for wanting to call it Muhammad.

Bloigen
No she wouldn't be. She'd just have to say ''well children, that would be insulting the founder of Islam'', then they could call it Freddy and move on.

If a Muslim child went home and complained about not being able to call a teddy Muhammad, their parents are not likely to kick off and try to get the teacher in shit. More likely, the kid would be in trouble for wanting to call it Muhammad.

They named the bear in September, they had moved on.

Muhammad is a common name there if she said no to the name Muhammad she would still be denying their culture. That leads to parents being upset about the teacher denying their culture, some would see it as an attempt to put down their religion and back to the 40 lashes.

As soon as the name Muhammad was mentioned she was screwed, it was only a matter of time before somebody picked up on it and did something.

GGS
'No she wouldn't be. She'd just have to say ''well children, that would be insulting the founder of Islam'', then they could call it Freddy and move on'

The thing is it's hypocritical in a sense because they can all name their kids Mohammed and the Koran an inanimate object is know as the book of Mohammed so when does naming something a name that is used on other inanimate and animate objects freely get the line drawed on it being offensive?

It seems like alot of Imans of the Islamic faith make the rules up as they go along.

chillmeistergen
Well, as Muhammad was an actual person, it seems natural that a person should be able to bare that name. Whereas, if you call a teddy bear, or a water melon, or some other inanimate object Muhammad, you're effectively trivialising the deeds of the prophet.

I assume that's the thinking behind it.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Originally posted by Sanctuary
Under Sudan's Sharia law, the punishment for blasphemy is 40 lashes, although the teacher could also be fined or jailed for up to six months.

Damn sandmonkeys.

(I'm well aware that Sudan is in Africa rather than Sandville and filled with blacks rather than Arabs.)

GGS
Indeed but to be honest and i'll probably come under flak for this but it's my own opinion the deeds of a genocidal mercernary such as Old Mo who at 52 had a 9 year old bride and also 'drank the milk from the goats bladder' 'great' deeds leave a lot to be desired but a fanatical muslim would kill me where i stood for daring to question such actions or logic of a dead man.

Robtard

Countries that have such rediculous laws should be scorched. It's a ****ing name, it's not like the name "Mohammed" wasn't around until the so called "one prophet" Mohammed came to be.

lord xyz
I heard about this. Me and my Dad thought it was very funny.

chithappens
Well it's not funny. As much as I can comment without being mildly upset.

Neo Darkhalen
Religion is nothing but a trouble, a starter for wars, to dictate idea's to people, and an excuse for death's and destruction.

Bardock42
Originally posted by lord xyz
I heard about this. Me and my Dad thought it was very funny. You think that might be why everyone thinks you are an idiot? hmm

dadudemon
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Religion is nothing but a trouble, a starter for wars, to dictate idea's to people, and an excuse for death's and destruction.

That is a very negative point of view...despite that fact that there is truth in it. Religions is NOT nothing but trouble.

chithappens

I would love to see the refutation to that.

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by dadudemon
That is a very negative point of view...despite that fact that there is truth in it. Religions is NOT nothing but trouble.

Yes they are, Christians used to kill those who tried to undermine them, some priests do this day do bad things, suicide bombers say that they kill for there god, and many wars are based off of it, a quest for power, you even contradict your religion, that and also I have facts to back up the theory of evolution, that is what happened, no god to make a world, evolution and the natural order of the universe created the world, I have no negative view, since to me Gods don't exist, have you ever heard of atheists.

I see you Christians have not stopped tiring to, convert, and undermine other peoples beliefs, especially atheists.

lord xyz
Originally posted by dadudemon
That is a very negative point of view...despite that fact that there is truth in it. Religions is NOT nothing but trouble. Ever heard of the DARK ages? Everyone was religious, and they're known as the DARK ages. Why were they known as the DARK ages, do you think?

Neo Darkhalen
Yes they are, Christians used to kill those who tried to undermine them, some priests do this day do bad things, suicide bombers say that they kill for there god, and many wars are based off of it, a quest for power, you even contradict your religion, that and also I have facts to back up the theory of evolution, that is what happened, no god to make a world, evolution and the natural order of the universe created the world, I have no negative view, since to me Gods don't exist, have you ever heard of atheists.

I see you Christians have not stopped tiring to, convert, and undermine other peoples beliefs, especially atheists.

chillmeistergen
Ever heard of the DARK ages? Everyone was religious, and they're known as the DARK ages. Why were they known as the DARK ages, do you think?

Because very little is known about them?

Robtard
Ever heard of the DARK ages? Everyone was religious, and they're known as the DARK ages. Why were they known as the DARK ages, do you think?

WTF? Are you retarded?

It was a period of time from around 470 AD to 1000 AD, basically started when the Roman Empire "fell". It was coined the "Dark Ages", because there was a decline in literature, building achivements, demographics and written history.

chithappens

People don't read. I get more concerned about the public school system everyday.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Robtard
WTF? Are you retarded?

It was a period of time from around 470 AD to 1000 AD, basically started when the Roman Empire "fell". It was coined the "Dark Ages", because there was a decline in literature, building achivements, demographics and written history. A decline in literature, building acheivments, demographics and written history.

Why that?

Bardock42
A decline in literature, building acheivments, demographics and written history.

Why that? T-the collapse of the Roman Empire?

debbiejo
You really should take that picture of me off your sig.

chithappens
Originally posted by debbiejo
You really should take that picture of me off your sig.

PM me some more pics cool

botankus
Debs, that's you in the band camp girl wig, isn't it?

debbiejo
Shhhh, it's a secret.

Afro Cheese

I see you Christians have not stopped tiring to, convert, and undermine other peoples beliefs, especially atheists. sounds like a negative view to me

Neo Darkhalen
I'm an atheist I don't believe in god, its my view since you have religious views you can't really say anything.

Robtard
I'm an atheist I don't believe in god, its my view since you have religious views you can't really say anything.

You foolish baboon, you make statements as facts, "Christans caused...", then when questioned, you claim they're your views. Here's a hint, if they're only your views and are unfounded, don't pass them as a factual statement.

Quiero Mota

Now just imagine the punishment if she had named a piggy bank Mohammed....

lord xyz
Originally posted by Bardock42
T-the collapse of the Roman Empire? Post evidence and I will accept.

chithappens
Post evidence and I will accept.

type dark ages into a search engine arrogant man

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by chithappens
type dark ages into a search engine arrogant man

laughing out loud

Robtard
Post evidence and I will accept.

Here's an idea, why don't you post evidence of your claim that "people being religious caused the dark ages"? Do you think people weren't religious before the 5th century?

But here, a quick review/evidence, it also has pictures, just for you.

http://www.history.com/marquee.do?content_type=Marquee_Generic&content_type_id=54711&display_order=1&marquee_id=53127

Afro Cheese
I'm an atheist I don't believe in god, its my view since you have religious views you can't really say anything. well im not religious so i guess that makes it ok for me to say something then, huh?

jaden101
this whole thing is much more than just a religious issue now...this is come about probably more because of UK sanctions against Sudan because of the situation in Darfur...its clearly a political issue and Sudan using the religious aspect is them trying to give their petty behavious some degree of legitimacy

lord xyz
Originally posted by chithappens
type dark ages into a search engine arrogant man I used google, anmd realise I am wrong.

Oh well, the dark ages was still bad because of religion, which was where I was going.

Robtard
I used google, anmd realise I am wrong.

Oh well, the dark ages was still bad because of religion, which was where I was going.

Religion existed before and after those 500+ years, so your claim is still retarded, unless you wish to extrapolate.

Neo Darkhalen
You foolish baboon, you make statements as facts, "Christans caused...", then when questioned, you claim they're your views. Here's a hint, if they're only your views and are unfounded, don't pass them as a factual statement.

Dude Christians killed people back a while ago, you try to convert people as well, I am an atheist evolution is the answer, not some god, also priests have been doing other things, with children is all I am going to say, but you contradict your love of man ect. by doing these things.

Christians have started many wars, like Islam is now.

Impediment
extrapolate

Nice word. thumb up

Bardock42
Dude Christians killed people back a while ago, you try to convert people as well, I am an atheist evolution is the answer, not some god, also priests have been doing other things, with children is all I am going to say, but you contradict your love of man ect. by doing these things.

Christians have started many wars, like Islam is now. X-xyz?

Robtard

All manners of people killed people "a while ago" and all manners of people have "started wars", so what's your point?

I try to convert people? You idiot, I'm not relgious.

chillmeistergen

So you think that telling people how to think is the answer?

Yes, there are such things as extremism, but you cannot stop something, that is essentially meant for good, because of some people who are abusing it.

You saying ''I'm an atheist'' doesn't change anything, you don't have to like religion, no one's asking you to. But you have to accept that there are people who do, and if they want to you are in no place to tell them not to.

Robtard
Originally posted by Impediment
Nice word. thumb up

Thanks, I try.

Neo Darkhalen
I believe you the one intellectually challenged, and yes if it was up to me, I would have ALL religion banned!!!

Robtard
I believe you the one intellectually challenged, and yes if it was up to me, I would have ALL religion banned!!!

Yeah, you're the one repeatedly making claims you can't backup, you idiot. Also, you're "evolution is the answer/there is no God" ranting is a form of "converting", so who's the silly little hypocrite? That's right, you are.

Besides, I highly doubt you have any real concept of the mechanics of evolution.

chithappens
Challenge! LMAO

Neo Darkhalen
thumb up big grin

Since I got 4 B's in science and passed easily I think I understand evolution since I am taking Science as 3 A levels, and not really you can't convert someone to Atheism, you are the one trying to turn this into a fight, I simply have the facts, the knowledge and above the concept that guess what, look at history books, Christians have started wars, good luck to ya.

Scientists have proved evolution, history has proved wars, what has your faith or god proved...Nothing.

All I am saying Is I don't belive in god, and wars over religion are around us look at suicide bombers.

chillmeistergen
Update: The teacher's been found guilty of in sighting racial hatred, and has been sentenced to ten further days in prison.

chillmeistergen
thumb up big grin

Since I got 4 B's in science and passed easily I think I understand evolution since I am taking Science as 3 A levels, and not really you can't convert someone to Atheism, you are the one trying to turn this into a fight, I simply have the facts, the knowledge and above the concept that guess what, look at history books, Christians have started wars, good luck to ya.

Scientists have proved evolution, history has proved wars, what has your faith or god proved...Nothing.

All I am saying Is I don't belive in god, and wars over religion are around us look at suicide bombers.

I thought you were probably of that age. Wow, you got four Bs, well done, but that's at GCSE.

Guess what, I've got A levels and GCSEs and will be soon studying for a degree, and I still think you're absolutely stupid.

Neo Darkhalen
thumb up big grin

Although you are quite rash, very impolite and lacking basic civility, and curious manners, I like you I have no ill feats with you, If we could be civil I would be very curious in continuing this debate, after all my dear sir you are someone who knows what they want, sure you may not like the thought of people trying or claiming god is false, but we have a free world and different people have different beliefs, after all many Christians do not keep to the bible, and some do terrible things like beat people to remove the devil, fact is we are all animals and we are all different, I take leave now, so I wish you good luck with your life. big grin

Neo Darkhalen
I thought you were probably of that age. Wow, you got four Bs, well done, but that's at GCSE.

Guess what, I've got A levels and GCSEs and will be soon studying for a degree, and I still think you're absolutely stupid.

I don't care, I am going for my A-levels guess what I am an atheist so deal with it, you Christians are so pushy.

Proof lies within the history books, and scientific text.

Bardock42
thumb up big grin

All I am saying Is I don't belive in god, and wars over religion are around us look at suicide bombers. Originally posted by chillmeistergen

I got a High School Diploma, German Abitur and I study Mathematics in my second year.

I win.

chillmeistergen
I don't care, I am going for my A-levels guess what I am an atheist so deal with it, you Christians are so pushy.

Proof lies within the history books, and scientific text.

I'm agnostic, it's not for personal reasons that I have a problem with what you're saying. but of course, you wouldn't understand that.

Neo Darkhalen
You saying ''I'm an atheist'' doesn't change anything, you don't have to like religion, no one's asking you to. But you have to accept that there are people who do, and if they want to you are in no place to tell them not to.

This is the best quote, you have settled me with this, instead of bashing people you have took your time to explain the situation, I understand now, thank you very much.

Neo Darkhalen
I'm agnostic, it's not for personal reasons that I have a problem with what you're saying. but of course, you wouldn't understand that.

How droll, don't you have anything better to use instead of trying to insult my intelligence its getting boring.

You can't really judge the level of my intellect, since after all I have paid no attention to your previous posts; you don't know me, I have no desire to read into peoples beliefs, I have no problem with you guys, after all your words mean nothing to me, however from you posts I detect anger, in full you are letting me get to you, so you try and put me down, I could do it all day I don't care, do what you want and I shall do what I want see ya guys. big grin

Robtard
thumb up big grin

Here's a hint... the theory of Evolution doesn't try to disprove or prove God, that's not it's purpose.

Yeah, you actually can convert someone to Atheism, show them proof (that they'll believe) of the concept of God being faulty, and it's possible you'll convert them. Atheism is a mindset, just like being a Theist.

Yes, Christians have started wars, so have non-religious people. REPEAT: What is your point? Do you think all wars are religious?

Evolution is still a theory, though I believe it to have ample proof to be solid, there is still much work to be done and further research. Point is, it's a theory, not a fact, so technically, it's hasn't been "proven" as you claim. So I guess you didn't study all that hard, or you'd know the basics.

Also, I already told you I am not religious, so my "faith" is a moot point. Fine, you don't believe in God, you're certainly welcome to it, the point everyone is trying to tell you, your non-belief in God, doesn't prove a single thing you've ranted about, you baboon.

Ushgarak
If this is going to become a general comment on the nature of relgions then there are plenty of threads in the Religion forum to dothat.

Please confine posts in here to discussing the news issue at hand.

lord xyz
X-xyz? What the ****?

BackFire

They have stupid beliefs, and it warrants insults to their religion and to themselves for having such a monumentally idiotic mindset about it.

Neo Darkhalen
Here's a hint... the theory of Evolution doesn't try to disprove or prove God, that's not it's purpose.

Yeah, you actually can convert someone to Atheism, show them proof (that they'll believe) of the concept of God being faulty, and it's possible you'll convert them. Atheism is a mindset, just like being a Theist.

Yes, Christians have started wars, so have non-religious people. REPEAT: What is your point? Do you think all wars are religious?

Evolution is still a theory, though I believe it to have ample proof to be solid, there is still much work to be done and further research. Point is, it's a theory, not a fact, so technically, it's hasn't been "proven" as you claim. So I guess you didn't study all that hard, or you'd know the basics.

Also, I already told you I am not religious, so my "faith" is a moot point. Fine, you don't believe in God, you're certainly welcome to it, the point everyone is trying to tell you, your non-belief in God, doesn't prove a single thing you've ranted about, you baboon.

Dude you need to let it go, and unwind, this is not the place for this, I have had my fun.......what you don't think I was serious, I am an atheist but I would not enter a conversation without research, I was bored thought something like that would make the thread interesting, but once a MOD comes in time to get back to the serious topic at hand.

You get angry so easily, It's not funny.

Or Perhaps I was being serious, I leave you to decide that?

inimalist
thumb up big grin

co-sign

sick

inimalist
Well, as Muhammad was an actual person, it seems natural that a person should be able to bare that name. Whereas, if you call a teddy bear, or a water melon, or some other inanimate object Muhammad, you're effectively trivialising the deeds of the prophet.

I assume that's the thinking behind it.

I believe this is the actual explanation...

Why a kid and not a teddy bear? meh, why no meat and dairy?

Robtard
Dude you need to let it go, and unwind, this is not the place for this, I have had my fun.......what you don't think I was serious, I am an atheist but I would not enter a conversation without research, I was bored thought something like that would make the thread interesting, but once a MOD comes in time to get back to the serious topic at hand.

You get angry so easily, It's not funny.

So making ignorant claims and pretending to know something, is what this place is for? Oh okay, you did an excellent job, Skippy.

Awesome, the "you're angry, relax" tactic. I love that one.

Neo Darkhalen
See still mad, relax,

read my post again I said I might not be telling the truth to that quoted statement?

Neo Darkhalen
You are blinded by faith and anger, I told you history and science have shown faith to be bad trouble and to cause wars, evolution can be to those who are serious the answer to the world, not faith if you belive in god then you don't want to accept someone telling you he is false, or cannot except the fact they may be right, if not then why try and fight with me?

Stop being an immature crybaby, grow up, calm down and have a debate, because at the moment you are the one showing no intellectual signs or civility.

inimalist
You are blinded by faith and anger, I told you history and science have shown faith to be bad trouble and to cause wars, evolution can be to those who are serious the answer to the world, not faith if you belive in god then you don't want to accept someone telling you he is false, or cannot except the fact they may be right, if not then why try and fight with me?

how do you reconcile evolutionary theory with the problem of induction seeing as the human being has only evolved once, leaving no comparative statistical analysis available?

or, hit me with the answer over PM, this is OT.

Robtard
See still mad, relax,

read my post again I said I might not be telling the truth to that quoted statement?

I checked your profile, thinking you might be some sock of some troll... you quoting your own asinine post made me laugh, you truly are a baboon.

Neo Darkhalen
That is very true, since we have only evolved from apes, although some have been born with abnormality's or disability's, it will take along time for us to evolve, our climate and conditions are also a factor.

But if the Aquatic life could emerge from the sea, we may change for the better, at the moment we are the most flawed and cruelest creature on the planet.

Neo Darkhalen
I checked your profile, thinking you might be some sock of some troll... you quoting your own asinine post made me laugh, you truly are a baboon.

laughing laughing

Just because you don't like what I say, I am in the perfect area to MOCK YOUR FALSE GOD, and for that you belive me to be a sock or troll, no I have only been here ONCE, but I have a right to voice my opinion.

Ushgarak
Robtard and Neo, I believe I made myself clear. Cut it out.

Robtard
That is very true, since we have only evolved from apes, although some have been born with abnormality's or disability's, it will take along time for us to evolve, our climate and conditions are also a factor.

But if the Aquatic life could emerge from the sea, we may change for the better, at the moment we are the most flawed and cruelest creature on the planet.

We didn't evolve from apes, humans and apes share common ancestry.

Edit: Life did emerge from the seas.

Try again.

Neo Darkhalen
laughing laughing

Just because you don't like what I say, I am in the perfect area to MOCK YOUR FALSE GOD, and for that you belive me to be a sock or troll, no I have only been here ONCE, but I have a right to voice my opinion.

Neo Darkhalen
We didn't evolve from apes, humans and apes share common ancestry.

We share 98.6 of our DNA with them.

Guess what FACT we EVOLVED FROM APES.

inimalist

LOL

cosign that too!!!

now answer my question about induction

exanda kane
Garbage

You're off your nut. Shut up.

Onto this business.

It's a very sad, almost disturbing event; one wonders how the teacher let this slip, whether it was ignorance, some judical error or simple bad luck.
I heard that some Islamic clerics cited the naming of this Teddy Bear to be a plot of the West against Islam, or words to similar effect. It's all a bit up in arms. Tough subject.

chillmeistergen

No, it isn't fact.

inimalist
Originally posted by exanda kane
You're off your nut. Shut up.

Onto this business.

It's a very sad, almost disturbing event; one wonders how the teacher let this slip, whether it was ignorance, some judical error or simple bad luck.
I heard that some Islamic clerics cited the naming of this Teddy Bear to be a plot of the West against Islam, or words to similar effect. It's all a bit up in arms. Tough subject.

Indeed

I understand the desire of us westerners to try to travel the world and make it a better place, but there is nothing we can do right.

Did anyone hear of the european nurses that were going to be executed in (i think) Libya because the government accused them of spreading aids to children?

Bardock42

Guess what FACT we EVOLVED FROM APES. The woman charged with Blasphemy in Sudan?

Originally posted by inimalist
LOL

cosign that too!!!

now answer my question about induction

Cosign that we should talk about the topic?Originally posted by chillmeistergen
No, it isn't fact. It's a fact that the thread is not about that though.

What does everyone think should have happened?

Robtard

We also share 50% of our DNA with a banana... Did you half-evolve from bananas?

No, that isn't a fact. You're just a fool and a troll. I'm done with you.

So, Sudan?

Robtard

Nothing, it's just a name, Mohammed wasn't the only person with that name; the name was around before him.

inimalist
Cosign that we should talk about the topic?

as fun as it is to mock youngsters before they have a clue, yes, it is an interesting topic.

I think the problem started when the lady went to teach in Sudan. Its like the leftists who want to put a military force in sudan to stop the genocide, such a wonderful idea, but realistically, it is just asking for trouble.

Bin Laden, until he started problems in Somalia and Ethiopia, was a welcome guest of the Sudanese government. Not the entire population, but a good enough portion of it, are fundamentalist to the point that it is dangerous for westerners to be there

Bardock42
Nothing, it's just a name, Mohammed wasn't the only person with that name; the name was around before him. Well, I was more aiming at reactions of the west.

Robtard
Well, I was more aiming at reactions of the west.

There isn't much that can be done, unless they try to execute her for it.

Neo Darkhalen
So what will happen, will she get a jail term or will she get 40 lashes, or both?

chillmeistergen
Update: The teacher's been found guilty of in sighting racial hatred, and has been sentenced to ten further days in prison.

exanda kane

I suppose the best that could have been hoped for was a pardon on behalf of the teacher.

Perhaps what we can hope for is that the judicial system of Sudan realising that the implications of Globalisation will have a great effect on their country.

Perhaps the teaching authority to take stricter measures on who they employ and the training they give, and perhaps the Islamic religous institutions in Sudan should be brought into the twenty-first century.

All in all, Sudan has not advertised itself well abroad to prospective teaching staff. I wish them luck in a job crisis in the education system.

Neo Darkhalen
But the children picked the name?

exanda kane
But the children picked the name?

And have the children been sentenced to have 40 lashes or ten years in prison?

No. The Teacher is being sentenced. It's all political fundamentally, and this Teacher, obviously clueless enough to have got into this situation (or simply a victim of bad luck) has been made a political melting point.

I'd generally like to hear what your average Sudanese would say on the matter, although I don't quite see their opinions getting into the news.

chillmeistergen
And have the children been sentenced to have 40 lashes or ten years in prison?

No. The Teacher is being sentenced. It's all political fundamentally, and this Teacher, obviously clueless enough to have got into this situation (or simply a victim of bad luck) has been made a political melting point.

I'd generally like to hear what your average Sudanese would say on the matter, although I don't quite see their opinions getting into the news.

There was one on the news about two hours ago, she was a mother of one of the students. Her opinion is basically, that she wishes the teacher would be let off, but that she should have been more thoughtful, about the culture of the country she was teaching in.

exanda kane
There was one on the news about two hours ago, she was a mother of one of the students. Her opinion is basically, that she wishes the teacher would be let off, but that she should have been more thoughtful, about the culture of the country she was teaching in.

That's good to hear.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by botankus
Considering it's in Sudan, it makes perfect sense.

T.M
She has been sentenced to 15 days in prison (including the 5 she has spent in prison all ready so 10 more days) after that she will be deported back to Britain.

But as Botankus said this is Sudan.. a place where a woman who wears trousers ("mens clothes"wink can be sentenced to death.

exanda kane
Protesters in Sudan want her shot.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7121025.stm

Neo Darkhalen
Oh I heard about that....

She's serving 15 days in prison.

Sadako of Girth
Ive said it before, Im saying it now....

F*** organised religion.

And f*** its practioners when decisions like this are made.

Because we aren't talking about something being of comfort to anyone, we are seeing yet again how its used politically to spread conflict and hate like wildfire in both the east and the west.

Im not one generally for throwing out the baby with the bathwater, but this for me is the last straw in a haystack of atrocious actions caused by or aided and abbetted/condoned by religion. (and when its not directly, its fused with the politics, as politicians in religious countries know that its the easy card to play to get the uncontemplative masses to follow suit with whatever crazy shit they have in mind.)

Im not gonna get drawn into islamaphobicism by these events, instead it does make me remember that sheep are never more vicious than when herded into a religious gathering, regardless of religious denomination..

Punkyhermy
Considering this school has been up and running in Khartoum since 1905, it seems odd that its British staff hasn't grasped the fundamentals of the laws governing the place. Everyone knows Muhammad is a sensitive issue in Muslim countries. Why take such an unnecessary risk.roll eyes (sarcastic)

NASA
i heard about this on Sky News and think it was quite stupid to do that

Neo Darkhalen
Especially in today's conflicts.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Punkyhermy
Considering this school has been up and running in Khartoum since 1905, it seems odd that its British staff hasn't grasped the fundamentals of the laws governing the place. Everyone knows Muhammad is a sensitive issue in Muslim countries. Why take such an unnecessary risk.roll eyes (sarcastic)

Risk...?

It seems so innocuous as not not suspect the risk.
I wouldn't have.

And it has been said that the kids named the bear after a student in the class whether or not thats true, these brainless sheep need to get a sense of humour.
Did god not create senses of humours for a reason...?
If im wrong, may god strike me down right now.

.......Wellllllllllllll the abscence of any lightning in my ass right now seems to prove my point.

Neo Darkhalen
I don't believe in religion.

Sadako of Girth
Neither do I, after much thinking.

Bardock42
I saw a video about the atheism think that came up recently...it is very true:

CSV7vAsfn5A

exanda kane
Is that Jesus in the video?

Sadako of Girth
The guy makes a point there when talking about the need to surround yourself wth the likeminded when regarding your own spirituality.

If your faith, whatever it is, needs re-inforcing by others constantly, its not strong.

Bardock42
Is that Jesus in the video?

He has some prophetic views.

Robtard
Originally posted by Punkyhermy

Point it, no one should have to walk on eggshells because of someone elses' religion. If you're Muslim, and naming a stuffed animal Mohammed offends you, then don't do it yourself. But don't expect someone else, who doesn't adhere to your religious views to follow your religious beliefs.

Edit: Also, if you're so relgious that it offends you, then you would believe without a doubt, that Allah/God will punish the "infidel" in the afterlife, so asking for her to be whipped, sodomized or killed is a moot point and nothing more than fanatical religious chest beating, which many Muslims seem to do a lot.

Shakyamunison
Point it, no one should have to walk on eggshells because of someone elses' religion. If you're Muslim, and naming a stuffed animal Mohammed offends you, then don't do it yourself. But don't expect someone else, who doesn't adhere to your religious views to follow your religious beliefs.

But that would make god angry.

Bicnarok

Shakyamunison

Robtard
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
But that would make god angry.

I edited in further thoughts at exactly the same time you responded; it addresses the point you just brought up, funny coincidence.

Shakyamunison
I edited in further thoughts at exactly the same time you responded; it addresses the point you just brought up, funny coincidence.

OK, I read it...

But if no one does anything about it, then god might smite the woman, and 1/2 million innocent people will die because of collateral damage. laughing

Robtard
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
OK, I read it...

But if no one does anything about it, then god might smite the woman, and 1/2 million innocent people will die because of collateral damage. laughing

Then it would be the will of God; what religious fanatic can go against that.

Sadako of Girth
Exactly.

Shakyamunison
Then it would be the will of God; what religious fanatic can go against that.

Very true. We should just nuke them and say god did it. laughing

Sadako of Girth
Incidentally, looks like the Teacher in question wont even make it to the Women's Jail.

The crowds of stupidly insane bastards weilding sticks and knives and baying for her to be shots have ensured that she is being held in the criminal investigations bureau for her safety.

I pray to Pesci that all religious nuts who want death for their religion are killed (especially in the name of religion), just for their own integrity's sake.

Neo Darkhalen

Sadako of Girth
What part are you disagreeing with...?

You disagree with the hateful being hated?
Or intregrity?

Neo Darkhalen
I am not disagreeing with anything

Sadako of Girth
My bad.

Misinterpretted the "........"s.
smile

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
What part are you disagreeing with...?

You disagree with the hateful being hated?
Or intregrity?

I have to admit the idea of you praying was a little hard to swallow. jk laughing

Sadako of Girth
lol laughing out loud

Fair play.... stick out tongue

Jaime Sommers
Glad to hear this woman is being realeased in a few weeks.

However, at the same time, if this woman had done her research, she would have known that what she did/allowed would be frowned upon. Perhaps this would not have happened if she knew the country, and it's people, and it's laws, better.

Sadako of Girth
True. Apparently, she wasn't given the neccesary orientation.
And as the saying goes: "When in Rome....." etc

(Mind you, isn't suicide bombing illegal in the respective countries that they attack...? Not much room for invoking "When in Rome" law, when the guys first to whinge about it on their soil, refuse to respect it abroad.)

And at the same time as that, if that religion wasn't once again being allowed to be used as a political enchargement weapon, it wouldn't happen either.

grey fox
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Incidentally, looks like the Teacher in question wont even make it to the Women's Jail.

The crowds of stupidly insane bastards weilding sticks and knives and baying for her to be shots have ensured that she is being held in the criminal investigations bureau for her safety.

I pray to Pesci that all religious nuts who want death for their religion are killed (especially in the name of religion), just for their own integrity's sake.

I fail to see how a machete is a knife ?

lil bitchiness

inimalist

Neo Darkhalen
They want more fuel for wars.

inimalist
They want more fuel for wars.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

good call

lord xyz
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=finduser&userid=86137
Find more posts by inimalist

lil bitchiness
Yahoo! New Alert

ZOMG! We should take it out on the teddy bears!

Or Jews, as is British custom.

inimalist
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/search.php?s=&action=finduser&userid=86137
Find more posts by inimalist

why would someone want to do that?

OH! go back far enough and you can see how much effort I put into debating about the comic book character Storm! now that is nerdy

Originally posted by lil bitchiness
The son of jailed British teacher Gillian Gibbons says his mother told him in a telephone conversation that she wants no resentment directed against Muslims because of her arrest in Sudan.

ZOMG! We should take it out on the teddy bears!

Or Jews, as is British custom.

thats ridiculous. Not that she had a chance to force change, nor would condemning islam be a good idea for her at this point. But to be so tacitly complacent in her own arrest... WTF?

inimalist
Al Jazeera English says:

"David Miliband, Britain's foreign minister, said he was "extremely disappointed" with the verdict and called in the Sudanese ambassador for an immediate explanation.

Al-Gizouli, said that by prosecuting Gibbons, the Sudanese government may have sought to voice its resistance to including Western peacekeepers among the UN-African Union force that is to deploy in Darfur.

"You take an event like this teacher incident, enlarge it and make a bomb out of it," he said.

He sais the prosecution was to show that "Muslims in Sudan don't want these people to interfere, want African troops."

Omar al-Bashir, Sudan's president, had long resisted any UN peacekeepers until he agreed to the joint force earlier this year."

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/27147611-9636-4A76-849B-152DC6FD5F04.htm

lord xyz
Originally posted by inimalist
why would someone want to do that?
No one. But posting that is a distraction and will ultimately annoy them.

inimalist
Another good article:

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/E9B6395E-D5E0-4BF4-B63C-9CE34A541105.htm

Especially these lines:

"Al-Jazouli said he believed Lord Ahmad, from Britain's ruling Labour party, and Baroness Warsi, an opposition Conservative, have a good chance of success.

"I think the Sudanese government must now be as concerned for her safety as the British government. There are so many factions and sects and the government cannot control them. It would be a nightmare for Sudan if anyone harmed her.""

"Twenty out of 23 of them chose Mohammad - a popular boy's name in Sudan, as well as the name of Islam's prophet.

Gibbons circulated a letter to parents, telling them that the children would be bringing the teddy bear home at weekends as part of the exercise.

Two months later, staff member at Unity High School handed the letter to Sudan's ministry of education.

Gibbons was arrested last Sunday and charged on Wednesday with insulting religion, inciting hatred and showing contempt for religious beliefs."

So it wasn't a parent, but in fact another teacher, who got her in trouble

No one. But posting that is a distraction and will ultimately annoy them.

understood

smile

I'm distracting

lord xyz
Haha

Robtard
I do have a question though, if Islam is a "religion if peace", why aren't Muslims by the thousands protesting this "hijacking" of their religion and condemning the "radicals", who want her whipped and/or murdered?

Seems odd that not even the Sudanese government wouldn't be speaking out against these "radical Muslims" and condemning "radical Muslim" intolerance as a whole, no?

Neo Darkhalen
Good point.

lil bitchiness
I do have a question though, if Islam is a "religion if peace", why aren't Muslims by the thousands protesting this "hijacking" of their religion and condemning the "radicals", who want her whipped and/or murdered?

Seems odd that not even the Sudanese government wouldn't be speaking out against these "radical Muslims" and condemning "radical Muslim" intolerance as a whole, no?

Well recently they had a riot in Sudan calling for woman's execution.

they say Islam is the religion of peace. And they'll kill you to prove it.

debbiejo
Yeah because she let her class name a doll Mohammad??

chillmeistergen
I've decided to call my next dog Mohammad.

lil bitchiness
Do you want to get arrested/killed/protested at?! Do ya?! Eh?!

lord xyz
Originally posted by debbiejo
Yeah because she let her class name a doll Mohammad?? I thought it was a student who told her to do it, and since it was against the law, she got arrested for it.

Makes sense really. They are the laws. They enforce those laws as they agreed upon them.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>