Which company is more graphically violent?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
I remember the days when you couldn't draw red blood on the page - never mind Superboy Prime decapitating Titans members.

Who does it more - Marvel or DC?

willRules
I think DC kill bigger names in more graphic ways, whereas Marvel usually have their characters go out in a bit more of a "Blaze of Glory" however Marvel characters tend to get injured more. I can't count the number of times spidey has fought a villains whilst ill or with a broken arm or already beaten up, etc etc yes

roughrider
One difference is with Marvel, they save their most hardcore stuff for their MAX comic line. While regular DC series like Infinite Crisis & 52 shows many bloody rampages, with crushed heads & flying limbs. What kind of ratings system does DC use?

Val
Probably DC if you count their Wildstorm/Vertigo line ups.

Soljer
Originally posted by Val
Probably DC if you count their Wildstorm/Vertigo line ups.

My thoughts precisely.

roughrider
I'm really talking about what you see in their mainstream line, not their specialty ones.

Garth Ennis + MAX and/or Vertigo = Serious Mayhem.

B.A
Image and Wildstorm are violent. Screw Marvel and D.C. evil face

Endless Mike
Valiant was pretty violent back in the day

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by B.A
Image and Wildstorm are violent. Screw Marvel and D.C. evil face

Wildstorm is DC.

grey fox
Image ?

They had Spawn and Savage Dragon.

Kazenji
I would say Marvel

ghost rider for one the newer stuff theres a bit more blood in the comics compared to the last series.

llagrok
Ghost Rider and Punisher are pretty much exceptions. MAX Wisdom is an example of how MAX comics can contain no gore at all.

I'll go with DC any day as far as violence go. Mannheim is a violent bastard.

Soljer
In the recent teen titans:

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/2258/damntt2.jpg

roughrider
Originally posted by Soljer
In the recent teen titans:

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/2258/damntt2.jpg

Case in point.
Who the hell was that? Looked like J'onn in a female body.

llagrok
Miss Martian?

grey fox
Originally posted by roughrider
Case in point.
Who the hell was that? Looked like J'onn in a female body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Martian

roughrider
Originally posted by grey fox
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Martian

OK. I just don't keep up with the Titans & their roster.

Kutulu
As of Infinite Crisis, DC seems to be increasing the gore a lot, just paging through when the Green Lanterns and Yellow Lanterns were fighting, you see GL's getting head-shotted (seeing depictions of their brains literally flying from their head) and such, plus SBP ripping arms off and what-not.

Plus the recent Black Adam stories were over the top gruesome, such as where Black Adam cut open that snow creatures stomach and used it's intestines to repel down the side of the mountain.

llagrok
Osiris killing "The Persuader" was pretty graphic

roughrider
Originally posted by Kutulu
As of Infinite Crisis, DC seems to be increasing the gore a lot, just paging through when the Green Lanterns and Yellow Lanterns were fighting, you see GL's getting head-shotted (seeing depictions of their brains literally flying from their head) and such, plus SBP ripping arms off and what-not.

Plus the recent Black Adam stories were over the top gruesome, such as where Black Adam cut open that snow creatures stomach and used it's intestines to repel down the side of the mountain.

You put that up against Civil War or World War Hulk, and for all the mayhem there is little graphic gore. Lots of bruised faces and torn clothing, but no spraying arteries.
But like I said earlier, Marvel instituted it's own rating system several years ago, and has distinct boundries with each level. DC's only restraint seems to be Superman never gets blood on his costume.

Soljer
Originally posted by Kutulu

Very good points. I was just using one very recent example, but as was pointed out - in the Sinestro Corps war? WWIII?

Not even comparable to the damage taken in World War Hulk or Civil War.

WrathfulDwarf
DC is way more graphical violent. Even before Wildstorm/Vertigo existed there were the brutal gore deaths illustrations artwork from Jim Aparo. Just look at the late 80's series of TEC from Norm Breyfogle.

Both Breyfogle and Aparo made the Batman books very gore.

Originally posted by llagrok
Osiris killing "The Persuader" was pretty graphic

Osiris death was also very brutal. Poor kid.

llagrok
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Osiris death was also very brutal. Poor kid.

Yeah.

Pretty much anything related to Black Adam is graphic.

roughrider
Poll looks like a clean sweep for DC right now.

So, why is that? Are they (DC) still influenced by the 80's boom of 'hard' writers who came from the UK, like Moore, Morrison, Garth Ennis & Peter Milligan - all doing work that would require the Mature label?

SevenShackles
marvel wins for collateral damage, DC for physical gore.

Board Walker
Originally posted by roughrider
You put that up against Civil War or World War Hulk, and for all the mayhem there is little graphic gore. Lots of bruised faces and torn clothing, but no spraying arteries.
But like I said earlier, Marvel instituted it's own rating system several years ago, and has distinct boundries with each level. DC's only restraint seems to be Superman never gets blood on his costume.

lol@superman comment

kevdude
DC, especially Superman Prime, I know they are trying to protray him as a MAJOR threat but slack it if off some, comics do have kids reading, going to the point of killing Zod then his wife while shes pregnant with heat vision... eek! .

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by kevdude
I know they are trying to protray him as a MAJOR threat but slack it if off some, comics do have kids reading, going to the point of killing Zod then his wife while shes pregnant with heat vision... eek! .

It's not something new Kev. They always let the bad guys get carry away. Examples, during the City of Crime storyline in TEC two years ago. Mr. Freeze killed many pregnant women in one of the most horrendous crimes in Gotham. As far as I can remenber the artwork show frozen body parts. A very disturbing and sickening image.

Recently in The Spectre's mini there was a scene in which a grotesque looking clown killed and abused an innocent little girl. DCU is very sick and disturbing. Utterly gross and in poor taste.

This is what I like about the DC staff. They give artists a green light when it comes to illustrating sick and cruel criminal images to shock and disturb the readers.

roughrider
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
It's not something new Kev. They always let the bad guys get carry away. Examples, during the City of Crime storyline in TEC two years ago. Mr. Freeze killed many pregnant women in one of the most horrendous crimes in Gotham. As far as I can remenber the artwork show frozen body parts. A very disturbing and sickening image.

Recently in The Spectre's mini there was a scene in which a grotesque looking clown killed and abused an innocent little girl. DCU is very sick and disturbing. Utterly gross and in poor taste.

This is what I like about the DC staff. They give artists a green light when it comes to illustrating sick and cruel criminal images to shock and disturb the readers.

And isn't it interesting that up until the 1980's, DC had a fuddy-duddy image compared to the hip Marvel Universe?
I think they've been pressing on the accelerator to go the other direction for a long time - probably too long.

Erik-Lensherr
DC by quite a bit

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.