What's the definition of a horror movie?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

killermovies1
Is a horror movie about:

1. Something supernatural, like ghosts or vampires.

2. Graphic violence ie. Saw, Hostel.

3. Something that scares you, doesn't need to be either of the above? What movies would fall under this category?

What's your definition of a horror movie?

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by killermovies1
Is a horror movie about:

1. Something supernatural, like ghosts or vampires.

2. Graphic violence ie. Saw, Hostel.

3. Something that scares you, doesn't need to be either of the above? What movies would fall under this category?

What's your definition of a horror movie?

Halloween has hardly any Graphic Violence, It's much scarier if you never show it, and leave it up to your audiences imagination, it also needs to use Camera and Camera angles well, to never keep you at ease, a simple vase could become very sinister if done correctly, mix the foregrounds, and backgrounds together, to create a twisted world, something that does not seem quite right, but also Is totally innocent, keep the audience guessing, in a film they want to learn what is going on, so you should reveal things in small amounts, lastly incorporate music within a film, music can be allot more scarier then the actual film, and can make people jump if done correctly.

here are a few examples of films that do these things above, correctly.

Psycho (Original)
Halloween (Original)
Night of the Living dead/Dawn of the dead (Original)
Scream

It does not have to be supernatural to create a good movie, 3 of those films above only have humans as the killers, that is more apt for a horror, since people are real and there are people in the world that kill, it is closer to home then Zombies/Vampires, although they can still be just as terrifying.

BackFire
For me, it's a film that invokes very very negative emotions -- Be it fear, disgust, or even anger or sadness.

Discos
^^ very awesome answer dude.

I usually like to get my heart racing, alot of Fear as well.

I tend not to watch Horror movies with other people as I am a pain in the arse....I always shout at the screen with sensible remarks ie "shit no I wouldnt open that dungeon door if I was you"

WrathfulDwarf
For me the definition of a horror movie is a dark fantasy (key word here is "fantasy"wink

It is intended to be cruel, thoughful, and in some cases romanticism.

ragesRemorse
bad acting, terrible but humorous writing and lots of gore

Discos
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
bad acting, terrible but humorous writing and lots of gore

haha spot on dude, that what makes cheesy horror movies so great.

I have yet to find a horror movie which has matched the first time I saw the original Chainsaw Massacre, the chase scene through the woods just made me feel like I was being chased. I wasnt scared but just nervous and felt for the lass

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Halloween has hardly any Graphic Violence, It's much scarier if you never show it, and leave it up to your audiences imagination, it also needs to use Camera and Camera angles well, to never keep you at ease, a simple vase could become very sinister if done correctly, mix the foregrounds, and backgrounds together, to create a twisted world, something that does not seem quite right, but also Is totally innocent, keep the audience guessing, in a film they want to learn what is going on, so you should reveal things in small amounts, lastly incorporate music within a film, music can be allot more scarier then the actual film, and can make people jump if done correctly.

here are a few examples of films that do these things above, correctly.

Psycho (Original)
Halloween (Original)
Night of the Living dead/Dawn of the dead (Original)
Scream

It does not have to be supernatural to create a good movie, 3 of those films above only have humans as the killers, that is more apt for a horror, since people are real and there are people in the world that kill, it is closer to home then Zombies/Vampires, although they can still be just as terrifying.

superr
Films about true crimes can be truely horrible and horrific
eg RICHARD ATTENBOROUGH as london murderer, john christie in
10 RILLINGTON PLACE

Dead Warrior
to place down the usual

a horror is mostly at its best when you have no idea what's happening eccept for the fact that it's happening and it's terrible.

cEejay_01
see this... <a href="
Creepy Movies

Rajendra
number one is the perfect definition of horror movies for me just liker the movie " Polergeist and Exorcist".

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.