SCi Fi Books

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bicnarok
Im looking to read an excellent Sci Fi book, the last ones were shortish books by Ben Nova.

Anything new out there worth reading.?

Dreampanther
Depends on how mature your reading level is.

Vernor Vinge is fantastic, as is Neal Stephenson (I've just read Snow Crash for about the third time and it's still as good as ever). Peter F. Hamilton is not too shabby, although his books are a bit space opera-ish for me.

I grew up on short stories by Isaac Asimov, Robert Silverberg, Roger Zelazny, Philip Jose Farmer, etc., so I have a predilection for scifi anthologies - just go to your nearest decent book store (or any second-hand book store) and look for the collections of short stories.

Short stories seem perfectly suited to the scifi genre, and usually somebody really have to be a master to keep an audience's interest for anything longer than a novella in pure, hard-core scifi, as opposed to the prevalent trend to blend fantasy with science fiction.

Speaking of which, the Dune series is well worth checking out as well, if all the screen adaptations haven't put you off for life...

Admiral Akbar
I would recommend reading "Rendezvous with Rama" it's a really good sci-fi book.

Bicnarok
Thanks for the tips, just ordered "Rendezvous with Rama" read some reviews and like the look of that.

Ive read various "maturity" level of books but prefer ones wich are dark and believable , Ben Nova was a bit on the easy side and I read em on the beach on holiday because they were the only English books in the local shopssmile

The last Sci Fi book I read was Red Mars. (Mars Trilogy) from Kim Stanley Robinson. Which was excellent with lots of believable things happening.

Im not into trilogy books though.

Admiral Akbar
Glad to hear. I hope you enjoy the book.

Bicnarok
Have read half of it so far, really is an excellent book.

What an amazing imagination A.C.Clark has, space odyssey was also one of his brilliant books.

Admiral Akbar
Yes it was, and it made a great movie as well.

Rambo
Red Mars

MildPossession
I've got the following science fiction books in my to read pile:

Star Maker by Olaf Stapleton
The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester
Gateway by Frederik Pohl
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

Good? Might find some you like Bicnarok in the above.

Mark Question
"Space Vulture," it's a throwback to pulp "Flash Gordan" type fiction. Light and entertaining.

MildPossession
RIP Arthur C Clarke.

big gay kirk
i would suggest...
1984 by george orwell...
heads by greg bear.. failing that, either queen of angels or forge of god by the same....
radix by a.a. atanasio
the stainless steel rat by harry harrison
the postman by david brin (don't let the film put you off...)
expedition to earth by arthur c clarke
martian chronicles by ray bradbury
the man in the high castle by philip k dick.. failing that, try do androids dream of electric sheep
neuromancer by william gibson

should tide you over for a bit...

Morridini
I could recommend the Dune books, considered as one of the best sci-fi ever. About to begin on book 5 in a short time myself.

Also, Star Wars has a decent amount of good books.

jaden101

Deano
im reading one now called 'alien influences'

very good so far
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alien-Influences-Kristine-Kathryn-Rusch/dp/1857982495/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207537349&sr=8-8

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Im looking to read an excellent Sci Fi book, the last ones were shortish books by Ben Nova.

2001 a space Odyssey.

MildPossession
Definitely agree with the J G Ballard books, good author.

Morridini
I finished Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury a little while ago, and must say it was an interesting, if not weird, read.

Also picked up Starship Troopers today, anyone read it?

Dreampanther
Starship Troopers is a good read, much better than the movie. I liked Stranger on a Strange Planet by Heinlein as well.

And don't forget Battlefield Earth, by Hubbard! Yeah, I know the movie sucked - but the book is a good read! - a good, old-fashioned space adventure, with the good guys beating the bad guys at their own game.

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by Bicnarok

Check out the Deathstalker books by Simon R. Green, they are brilliant sci-fi books. I own nearly all of them , just have three more to go!

Linkinpark200
Meg:A Novel Of Deep Terror bes sci-fi i ever read so far.Its a about a 50 foot shark waeghing 40 tons.And a scientist who thought he saw a Megladon Shark and people thought he was hallucinating once one got to the surface all hell broke loose

Mindship
2001: a space odyssey; Rendevous with Rama (both by You Know Who, RIP)
Dying Inside (by Robert Silverberg)
Ring; Flux; The Timeships; Manifold: Space; Manifold: Time (all by Stephen Baxter)
Ringworld (by Larry Niven)

Lately, though, I've been into short stories, as this is what I'm writing in trying to get published.

AC/DC'S_LVR
i read this one book about brothers inheriting an old house from their uncle and he dabbled in time stuff so they had to figure out how to stop this alien ting from coming through a portal he created. i dont remember the name nor do i have the book any more, but it was really good

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.